PDA

View Full Version : Vonta Leach Signs Giants Offer Sheet - Texans Match

Pages : 1 [2]

misskiss81
03-23-2007, 11:14 AM
I say pay the man. If you look at the deal $1.7 milliion guaranteed is 2 years at league minimum. If he gets the job done. Pay him the bonus.

I agree. He really helped out the run game a WHOLE lot when he came in the game. PAY THE MAN!!!!

UHHEAVEN
03-23-2007, 11:14 AM
I say pay the man. If you look at the deal $1.7 milliion guaranteed is 2 years at league minimum. If he gets the job done. Pay him the bonus.

I agree!!! Pay the man. Or we are going to have to deal with Cooke.

real
03-23-2007, 11:19 AM
Guys....

I hate to break it to you...

but it really looks like they're going to let him walk...

Exithios
03-23-2007, 11:23 AM
Guys....

It's really not as bad as many are making it sound. With Ron Dayne being the back-up to Ahman Green, as it stands now, Dayne may be satisfied in playing a bigger role as a situational fullback. I think Dayne would make an excellent fullback myself.

Vinny
03-23-2007, 11:25 AM
It's really not as bad as many are making it sound. With Ron Dayne being the back-up to Ahman Green, as it stands now, Dayne may be satisfied in playing a bigger role as a situational fullback. I think Dayne would make an excellent fullback myself.He isn't that good a blocker...he wouldn't make that good a fb even though he is built like one.

TEXANRED
03-23-2007, 11:27 AM
Guys....

Honestly, what are we supposed to do? Have two high priced full backs?

According to HPF Cook is due to make $990 with bonus. You are looking at nearly $2 Million at the fullback position.

http://www.houstonprofootball.com/cap.html

Vinny
03-23-2007, 11:28 AM
UofH's Jackie Battle supposedly ran a 4.4 at his pro day today....per Lance at 610am

real
03-23-2007, 11:29 AM
Honestly, what are we supposed to do? Have two high priced full backs?

According to HPF Cook is due to make $990 with bonus. You are looking at nearly $2 Million at the fullback position.

http://www.houstonprofootball.com/cap.html

Personally I don't want him back...

Not at that price...

real
03-23-2007, 11:30 AM
UofH's Jackie Battle supposedly ran a 4.4 at his pro day today....per Lance at 610am

Wow...

I didn't see that coming at all...

texan_b
03-23-2007, 11:31 AM
lance was saying not to believe that yet. Matt jackson who is a uh alum said battle ran a 4.4 with a 42in vert. and vincent marshal ran a 4.25

Vinny
03-23-2007, 11:33 AM
This is a good draft for FB's and not everyone in the NFL uses FB's (many teams rather use a two TE set)....I think we will see us draft a player as good as Leach around pick 5

keyfro
03-23-2007, 11:34 AM
ron dayne would be a horrible fullback...jackie battle is no better than dayne IMO...if we don't re-sign leach we are going to struggle to find a good blocking FB...cook shouldn't be on the team unless kubiak is certain his fumbling ways are behind him...because cook can't block either

Vinny
03-23-2007, 11:36 AM
ron dayne would be a horrible fullback...jackie battle is no better than dayne IMO...if we don't re-sign leach we are going to struggle to find a good blocking FB...cook shouldn't be on the team unless kubiak is certain his fumbling ways are behind him...because cook can't block either

It's easy to find FB's....just look at us last year. We found a guy unemployed and on the street.

TexanSam
03-23-2007, 11:37 AM
I'd like to have Brian Leonard as fullback. The guy from Rutgers. Not sure where he's expected to be drafted though

Exithios
03-23-2007, 11:37 AM
He isn't that good a blocker...he wouldn't make that good a fb even though he is built like one.

Blocking, although it can be a natural talent, can also be trained in the offseason. I beleive he would have the potential to be a good blocker if the Texans were to plan the transition going into training camp.

It's really just me thinking out loud. I am sure that in the end we will have a full-time fullback in the backfield, but losing Leach isn't the end of the world. The possibilites are endless.

real
03-23-2007, 11:39 AM
Blocking, although it can be a natural talent, can also be trained in the offseason. I beleive he would have the potential to be a good blocker if the Texans were to plan the transition going into training camp.

It's really just me thinking out loud. I am sure that in the end we will have a full-time fullback in the backfield, but losing Leach isn't the end of the world. The possibilites are endless.

No offense, but I think your views on this are distorted...

It's not in anyway shape or form easy to teach someone to block...Especially people who just don't have that passion in them...

I've seen some awfully talented athletes that can run, catch tackle, but can't block to save their lives...

At this point in his career, I'd venture to say it'd be almost impossible to make him a regular full back...

Errant Hothy
03-23-2007, 11:59 AM
It's easy to find FB's....just look at us last year. We found a guy unemployed and on the street.

I agree which is why we should let NY overpay for a FB, not us.

Specnatz
03-23-2007, 12:14 PM
This is a good draft for FB's and not everyone in the NFL uses FB's (many teams rather use a two TE set)....I think we will see us draft a player as good as Leach around pick 5

While I agree with you to some extent and that I would not be very upset with losing Leach, I am in the camp of matching because he worked last year. So I say stick with what has worked versus trying to find a new piece to the puzzle.

Since only 1.7mil is guaranteed and after two years he is do a roster bonus (if I understand right) Draft a FB this year and if you think he can take over after doing special teams and spot duty then release leach and keep the cheaper guy.

Ole Miss Texan
03-23-2007, 12:18 PM
Isn't one of the reasons they signed Green was because he's a really good blocker? I'd expect to see green blocking for dayne and taylor some...

Hervoyel
03-23-2007, 12:18 PM
It's not in anyway shape or form easy to teach someone to block...Especially people who just don't have that passion in them...

I tend to agree. In theory what he's saying sounds right but if it were that simple I think you would see it happen more. It really doesn't happen that often (someone going from being a poor blocker to being truly good at it) and so I think it's more complicated than many people think.

Vinny
03-23-2007, 12:20 PM
Isn't one of the reasons they signed Green was because he's a really good blocker? I'd expect to see green blocking for dayne and taylor some...
Um, no...there is a big difference in picking up a blitz and being a lead blocker on a running play. Green is not a lead blocker and doesn't have the body for it.

texanfan2002114
03-23-2007, 02:55 PM
according to schfner on nfl.com

The week of moving and shaking for the Houston Texans continues. The Texans have decided to cut quarterback David Carr and running back Domanick Williams -- the former Domanick Davis. Each is now free to sign with another team. The Texans also are expected to match the offer sheet that restricted free-agent fullback Vonte Leach signed with the New York Giants

Pantherstang84
03-23-2007, 02:57 PM
according to schfner on nfl.com

The Texans also are expected to match the offer sheet that restricted free-agent fullback Vonte Leach signed with the New York Giants

Gawd I hope this is true!:bananasplit:

keyfro
03-23-2007, 03:06 PM
vinny while i know why you're against the move to re-sign leach i still have to respectfully disagree with you on this one...the attitude leach brought with him during the games completely changed the outlook of our rushing attack

the o-line seemed to enjoy run blocking when he was in there with dayne instead of seeing cook try to block and fall flat on his face

if we are truely re-signing leach that also means we'll be releasing cook in the near future IMO...there is no reason to have 2 FB's on the roster taking up 2 mill of the cap...i don't think i'll be hearing anyone complain about cutting cook either

BSofA04
03-23-2007, 03:06 PM
After releasing Carr and Williams, they freed up some cap space. But yes, they are goig to overpay the guy...

clandestin
03-23-2007, 03:07 PM
they matched the offer, Vonta is back.

Mr. White
03-23-2007, 03:07 PM
Giants offer just got matched per 610. no link. 1.2 million guaranteed.

SamuraiSword
03-23-2007, 03:09 PM
they matched the offer, Vonta is back.

I don't care if he get paid alot. That man brought light to the offensive line. He blocked while cook just had fumblitis.....

ROCKY
03-23-2007, 03:10 PM
The offense is looking sicker and sicker (sick meaning awesome!)

:superman:

Pantherstang84
03-23-2007, 03:11 PM

I hear ya dude! This is going to be one long Spring and Summer. I'm pumped!!!!

Exithios
03-23-2007, 03:11 PM

We are looking better on both sides of the ball, the 07 season couldn't come soon enough.

UHHEAVEN
03-23-2007, 03:12 PM
OH YeaH, Oh Yeah, OH yeah, I'm excited!!!!!!!!!!!!

Prayer works, Got rid of CARR and expected to Keep Leach!!!!!

OH YeaH, Oh Yeah, OH yeah, I'm excited!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO Texans, GO Texans,GO Texans,GO Texans,GO Texans,

:dance2:

UHHEAVEN
03-23-2007, 03:13 PM
I agree which is why we should let NY overpay for a FB, not us.

You just might have to start eating your words.
:wild:

TexansMVP
03-23-2007, 03:14 PM
Welcome back Leach. The running game is going to be sick next year.

DoCRoN
03-23-2007, 03:15 PM
It's official now!

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/detail.php?PRKey=3378&section=N%20Latest%20News

rafterticket
03-23-2007, 03:16 PM
This is great news. Leach is the prime example of Smith's ability to assess talent. He was doing Jameel Cook's job last year for about 20% of the money. Good for him. I hope he can do it again next year.

What are they going to do with Cook? That's a lot of money for two fullbacks.

shanden
03-23-2007, 03:18 PM
I like this move.

True, the price for decent FB has gone up this offseason from the expanded cap room but at the same time, Leach proved himself to be an asset in the running and passing game.

I still see Smith needing to learn better about how to strategize as a GM. I give him huge props for finding gems in the rough and on the cheap but he is still having major growing pains on GM strategy.

I think Smith was forced on this move, when he didn't not tender Leach the next level in salary. That would have recouped a 2 round pick if we let Leach go, and would have dampened the Schaub trade. We still got Leach, but if we had not matched we would have got good compensation for a FB.

Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry
03-23-2007, 03:19 PM
Rick Smith protecting a QB with a blocking FB nawwww cant be the Texans MB they dont protect 48 million dollar players.:sarcasm:

I am realy starting to like our FO, kind of mad we got zipp, nada, nothing out of DC but like most pointed out we saved a bundle in cap room.

Leach and green in the backfield and Schaub running the O, man can't wait till the draft. Rick/Coach K pick Levi Brown round one if hes there at 10.

GuerillaBlack
03-23-2007, 03:19 PM
Very great move by the front office.

Señor Stan
03-23-2007, 03:22 PM
Absolutely critical move. I am thrilled to have Vonta in the fold.

alphajoker
03-23-2007, 03:25 PM
Very...very good news!!!:doot:

TheRealJoker
03-23-2007, 03:32 PM
WAR VONTA LEACH!!!

Our running game is gonna be AWESOME next season!!!

whiskeyrbl
03-23-2007, 03:36 PM
YES there is a FOOTBALL GOD !!

03-23-2007, 03:36 PM
this has definitely been the craziest offseason ever.

hadaad
03-23-2007, 03:38 PM
The price was a little steep but I think it might be worth it.

Señor Stan
03-23-2007, 03:40 PM
The price was a little steep but I think it might be worth it.

I don't think Dayne does nearly as well at the end of last year without Leach.

Clash_Fan3605
03-23-2007, 03:41 PM
Here's to hoping Leach turns into a Lorenzo Neal in a Texans uniform!! :redtowel:

Exithios
03-23-2007, 03:47 PM
I beleive this was a very classy move by the front office. They allowed the league to place a value on Leach and the Texans showed loyalty to one of the brightest spots on our offense in 06 by matching his determined value and keeping him in a Texans uniform.

Kudos Bob, Rick, and Gary.

whiskeyrbl
03-23-2007, 03:48 PM
Alot of people keep saying we overpay for all these players, well truth is all of the players in professional sports are overpaid. But with the way players make money and some say we overpay, I'm glad they are not in the FO, because I would hate to see our roster with them at the helm.

UHHEAVEN
03-23-2007, 03:49 PM
Wait....... I think the article on the Texans Site was retracted

03-23-2007, 03:50 PM
Wait....... I think the article on the Texans Site was retracted

you're right... another case of jumping the gun? :confused:

ATX
03-23-2007, 03:54 PM
you're right... another case of jumping the gun? :confused:

I heard it on 610 too!!!

UHHEAVEN
03-23-2007, 03:55 PM
What is being said?

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
03-23-2007, 03:59 PM
610 said it isn't a done deal yet.

coachdent
03-23-2007, 04:03 PM
VONTAFUL!
VONTAFUL!
VONTAFUL!

The roses smell sweeter. The sky looks prettier! Isn't life grand?!

NOW... we have an issue....

Now we can make the cut that would make my offseason very happy. You see, we are at a point now where we have taken the hachett to Carr, to Williams, to Moulds, to Sanders, to Peek....but there is one guy left.

If you've ever seen the movie "The Blair Witch Project", there he is standing in the corner facing the wall... http://www.cinemaquiz.com/_elements/710r.jpg

Jamel Cook. He's been hearing the screams. He's understood exactly what has been happening. All of those accountable for our failures are being dealt with....and now my friend...it is time. It is your time!

Kubes... offer him up the cigarette and let's do this. I will volunteer to be front and center to make this happen. I want that Jamel turkey Cooked!

Lucky
03-23-2007, 04:04 PM
This page (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/index2.php?section=N%20Latest%20News) says Leach is back.

03.23.07 Dayne's back
While the Texans said goodbye to two longtime Texans Friday, they also welcomed back Ron Dayne and Vonta Leach. But the link to the article (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/detail.php?PRKey=3378&section=N%20Latest%20News) has nothing about Leach.

:confused:

Texans_Chick
03-23-2007, 04:05 PM
610 said it isn't a done deal yet.

The explanation:

Basically, there was a press release that had Leach's name on it.

And then that press release was withdrawn. I am guessing the deal isn't done.

Vinny
This page (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/index2.php?section=N%20Latest%20News) says Leach is back.

But the link to the article (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/detail.php?PRKey=3378&section=N%20Latest%20News) has nothing about Leach.

:confused:
610am news segment just said that the deal has yet to be finalized.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Vonta's signing hasn't been finalized yet.

alright, now i'm really confused... why did they retract the article? 99.9% of the time, the texans official site is dead on...

Sportsfan
03-23-2007, 04:14 PM
He'll be back. They won't let this guy go.

Blake
03-23-2007, 04:30 PM
610am news segment just said that the deal has yet to be finalized.

Sounds like no Cory Anderson for you... possibly.

WaywardTexanFan
03-23-2007, 04:31 PM
Here is a link y'all may be interested in --> http://blog.nj.com/ledgergiants/2007/03/texans_jumped_the_gun_on_leach.html

rbarchtta
03-23-2007, 04:37 PM
espn just posted the resigning of leach. it may just be as reported by the texans' webpage. hopefully it is a done deal.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2809981

WaywardTexanFan
03-23-2007, 04:49 PM
espn just posted the resigning of leach. it may just be as reported by the texans' webpage. hopefully it is a done deal.

ESPN???:joker:

QB75
03-23-2007, 04:50 PM

Good move.

03-23-2007, 04:53 PM
alright, now i feel better.

houstonhurricane
03-23-2007, 04:58 PM
Not so fast, they are now reporting on rotoworld that it has not been matched yet...

Porky
03-23-2007, 04:58 PM
The great news just keeps on coming. The running game with a good lead blocker and a real threat at both the tailback and QB positions is going to be great. :snobord: :yahoo:

I am waiting for the grinch to pinch me, and I wake up and find this has all been a dream. :wild:

I just calculated it, and according to my calculations we are paying him to infinity per carry based on his zero nfl carries. :confused:

TexanExile
03-23-2007, 05:00 PM
How hard could negotiating a freaking match be? either they match the deal or not, right? or is there wiggle room on the terms?

03-23-2007, 05:09 PM
i'm just gonna assume we're gonna match

Vinny
03-23-2007, 05:16 PM
How hard could negotiating a freaking match be? either they match the deal or not, right? or is there wiggle room on the terms?
They could have discovered a "poison pill" when going over the deal and delayed everything.

hadaad
03-23-2007, 05:26 PM
They could have discovered a "poison pill" when going over the deal and delayed everything.

Gawd, I hope not. That poison pill provision nearly made me ill last year.

Does anyone know if the terms can be a little different with that? Like the way they signed Burleson last year it was if he played something like 3 or more games in Minnesota his contract would be guaranteed, could Minny have changed it to Washington? Because it's basically the same provision, just different states.

Texans_Chick
03-23-2007, 05:33 PM

This is what happened.

There was a press release saying Leach was re-signed.

Then the press release was recalled with no reason given.

I am guessing this is because the Texans are verrrry careful about announcing things until all the i's are dotted and t's are crossed. If that doesn't happen, things don't get announced. That's why official announcements often happen after everyone already knows about them.

As far as I know, the retraction of the retraction has not happened yet.

texansfan section 624
03-23-2007, 06:21 PM
The Texans matched the contract from the Giants and Vonta Leach is staying with us.

keyfro
03-23-2007, 06:48 PM
this is great...we got our fullback back and our running game is gonna be solid this year...now it's time to focus on the draft

phantom17
03-23-2007, 06:54 PM
Pls let this be true! I can't wait to buy my BATTLE RED...or STEEL BLUE Leach jersey! :elmo: :)

HoustonFan
03-23-2007, 07:23 PM
Damn, I hope they keep Leach. That guy is off the chain.

GuerillaBlack
03-23-2007, 07:26 PM
Damn, I hope they keep Leach. That guy is off the chain.

We did.

valleytexfan
03-24-2007, 01:40 AM
Pls let this be true! I can't wait to buy my BATTLE RED...or STEEL BLUE Leach jersey! :elmo: :)

Right there with you fellow Valley Texans fan!!!:yahoo:

The Pencil Neck
03-24-2007, 02:10 AM
Is he? Did we match the offer sheet or not? I don't see anything that conclusively said we did.

Scooter
03-24-2007, 02:55 AM
dont toy with my emotions like this! we're not going to match, we match, wait we might not have ... give the man what he wants. i couldnt be higher on leach as a critical part of our offense and with dayne & green behind him, we'll have solidified our running game IMO. the reason for the jump in price for fullbacks is because of a major emergance in talent on winning teams. dan kreider, mack strong, lorenzo neil, tony richardson, kyle johnson, etc. "it's just a fullback" doesnt apply to today's game, especially with sherman & kubiak. teams are taking notice of others' successes and we all know it's a copy cat league ... same as the tight end spike over the past few years.

JCTexan
03-24-2007, 03:53 AM
ESPN has it on their front page.

whiskeyrbl
03-24-2007, 04:01 AM
Where did anyone get confirmation? I've been scouring the internet and cannot find anything.

kiwitexansfan
03-24-2007, 04:29 AM

Thanks for the link. I am so glad that Leach is coming back.

I was looking for a new favourite player now Carr is on his way out and you have to love a big old run blocking FB.

whiskeyrbl
03-24-2007, 05:55 AM
Yes, thanks for the link. Now I can breathe a little easier. One less position to worry about.

michaelm
03-24-2007, 08:41 AM

Where did anyone get confirmation? I've been scouring the internet and cannot find anything.

No offense meant whiskeyrbl, but that is too funny.

The post before your says it's on ESPN's front page, and the very next post say you've been scouring the internet and can't find it! Classic!

Again, no offense meant, it's just a little funny to me...

whiskeyrbl
03-24-2007, 08:45 AM
No offense meant whiskeyrbl, but that is too funny.

The post before your says it's on ESPN's front page, and the very next post say you've been scouring the internet and can't find it! Classic!

Again, no offense meant, it's just a little funny to me...

It was early and had a few to many last night. A complete oversight, but no offense taken woulda said the same thing LOL.

phantom17
03-24-2007, 08:47 AM
Right there with you fellow Valley Texans fan!!!:yahoo:

Valleytexfan- RIGHT ON! Man, I wish someday we'll overtake the Cowboys fanbase here in da RGV.:) I can't wait for the season to start!:elmo:

keyfro
03-24-2007, 08:55 AM
this is good...now our rushing attack is complete...we can release jameel cook after june 1st...get his contract off the books...now let's focus back onto the defense and get CB, FS, DE, and DT fixed

Stampede
03-24-2007, 09:32 AM
You gotta find a way to keep the guys who get the job done. Vonta is one of those guys. Looks like the Texans are serious about turning this thing around. Cheers!

New_Texans
03-24-2007, 09:36 AM
yay!!!!

yaaaay!!!

:elmo: :elmo: :elmo:

Texans34Life
03-24-2007, 09:37 AM
Texans | Leach update
Sat, 24 Mar 2007 06:09:56 -0700

Updating previous items, John McClain, of the Houston Chronicle, reports the Houston Texans will match the offer sheet given to restricted free agent FB Vonta Leach by the New York Giants after the team freed up $3.2 million by releasing RB Domanick Williams (knee).

O.G.
03-24-2007, 09:54 AM
this is good...now our rushing attack is complete...we can release jameel cook after june 1st...get his contract off the books...now let's focus back onto the defense and get CB, FS, DE, and DT fixed

And don't forget a #2 wideout as well.

keyfro
03-24-2007, 10:21 AM
i'm not forgetting about it...i just have more faith in andre to get the job done than i do in robinson...andre's been to the pro bowl...d-rob hasn't...plus i'd say walter is more capable of being a #2 guy than faggins is

A Texan
03-24-2007, 10:45 AM
Valleytexfan- RIGHT ON! Man, I wish someday we'll overtake the Cowboys fanbase here in da RGV.:) I can't wait for the season to start!:elmo:
It's really nice to have you as Texan fans, Valleytexfan and phantom17. I hope the Texans get better so that we can get a bunch more from the valley!:redtowel:

cuppacoffee
03-24-2007, 10:49 AM
I haven't read the entire thread so I don't know if this has been posted already.

From profootballtalk.com

Just the last sentence, you can CLIK (http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm) to read the entire article.

" So, at the end of the day, the Giants merely provided free contract negotiation services to the Texans."

:coffee:

O.G.
03-24-2007, 10:53 AM
i'm not forgetting about it...i just have more faith in andre to get the job done than i do in robinson...andre's been to the pro bowl...d-rob hasn't...plus i'd say walter is more capable of being a #2 guy than faggins is

Point taken. We shall see. I don't know which position in this years draft would be deeper, CB/FS or WR. Either way, one of those two postions would be my first pick in the first round.

thunderkyss
03-24-2007, 10:54 AM
This is great news. Leach is the prime example of Smith's ability to assess talent. He was doing Jameel Cook's job last year for about 20% of the money. Good for him. I hope he can do it again next year.

What are they going to do with Cook? That's a lot of money for two fullbacks.

First... we need to think about what really happened. Vonta Leach, the 4 year vet was released 2 weeks into the season. I don't watch the GB packers fullbacks on a regular basis, but I have to imagine, it was because he wasn't getting the job done. Maybe he wasn't picking up on the ZBS they were trying to install in GB. So we signed him to play in our ZBS. He got a few snaps early in the season, but didn't look to be a better FB than Jameel Cook, who remained our starter.

Vonta didn't get serious time, until Cook got roughed up. Then, it looked like he decided to play football.

I don't think I noticed Vonta Leach, until that acrobatic catch, and YAC in the Tennessee game. Then he finished the rest of the year pretty strong. IT looked like he finally got it. But whether the "it" we are talking about is our ZB, WCO... or the fact that he was 4 weeks from being unemployed is yet to be seen.

Letting Vonta Leech go with a minimum tender was a bad gamble that didn't work. We should've folded our hand when the Giants offered him over $1million a year.

I'm having to guess our coaches feel he is worth the money, and not that he feared the unemployment line.

threetoedpete
03-24-2007, 11:10 AM
First... we need to think about what really happened. Vonta Leach, the 4 year vet was released 2 weeks into the season. I don't watch the GB packers fullbacks on a regular basis, but I have to imagine, it was because he wasn't getting the job done. Maybe he wasn't picking up on the ZBS they were trying to install in GB. So we signed him to play in our ZBS. He got a few snaps early in the season, but didn't look to be a better FB than Jameel Cook, who remained our starter.

Vonta didn't get serious time, until Cook got roughed up. Then, it looked like he decided to play football.

I don't think I noticed Vonta Leach, until that acrobatic catch, and YAC in the Tennessee game. Then he finished the rest of the year pretty strong. IT looked like he finally got it. But whether the "it" we are talking about is our ZB, WCO... or the fact that he was 4 weeks from being unemployed is yet to be seen.

Letting Vonta Leech go with a minimum tender was a bad gamble that didn't work. We should've folded our hand when the Giants offered him over $1million a year.

I'm having to guess our coaches feel he is worth the money, and not that he feared the unemployment line.

Yeah well all of these things, you not seeing tallent, guessing on what someone else was thinking in a front office you have no idea what their thought process was, doesn't surprise me. Leech was the rushing attack in '06. With out the iso's they were a ship without a rudder. Specualting on whether the Texans just over paid for the only all star at the end of season on the offensive side of the ball only marked you for what you are.

thunderkyss
03-24-2007, 11:57 AM
Yeah well all of these things, you not seeing tallent, guessing on what someone else was thinking in a front office you have no idea what their thought process was, doesn't surprise me. Leech was the rushing attack in '06. With out the iso's they were a ship without a rudder. Specualting on whether the Texans just over paid for the only all star at the end of season on the offensive side of the ball only marked you for what you are.

We put Vonta in several times throughout the year. He didn't block well, and he wasn't an option to catch the ball in those instances. He was taken out of the game in favor of Jameel Cook. Jameel Started every game he was healthy, ahead of Vonta Leech.

Just like you don't know **** about what the F.O. is thinking, and base your opinion on how you feel things are going, I'm doing the same thing. If Jameel was healthy at the end of the year, I bet we never would have seen Vonta Leach mow down the opposing defense.

FAct: GreenBay cut Vonta Leech 2 weeks after the season started. Was that because they wanted to base their running game around his exceptional blocking skills??

Vonta started for us, week 9 against the Giants. He lead the way for our amazing 57 yard rushing attack. Do you think he did not start the very next week, because he was the best fullback on the team??

Jameel was hurt in the Jets game, 5 weeks before the end of the season.... & Vonta leach all of a sudden becomes the basis of our running game.Even though he was hurt, he was still brought to games for the next two weeks, incase Vonta couldn't perform at an acceptable level in the passing game as well as the running game. Although Jameel didn't play the next two weeks, his injury became severe enough to be put on the IR list for the last two weeks of the season.

Listen, I was excited about Vonta Leach as much as the next guy. But he's only started 10 games out of the 34 games that he's played. We saw a lot of the reason why early in the season. Some of us choose to only remember the last month of the season, but a lot of bad contracts have been awarded based on the last weeks of the season, and this seems like one of them.

And you publicly comenting that Vonta was an all-star(much less the only all star on offense) only marked you for what you are. and that's a fan who doesn't know what the hell he's talking about.

threetoedpete
03-24-2007, 12:28 PM
One of us for sure.

shanden
03-24-2007, 12:39 PM
Look Vonta was not perfect last year.

But he is also a very young player. I know it might surprise some folks that young players take time to adjust and make rookie mistakes. We could just as easily entertain the idea that "it" finally clicked for Vonta on how to play his role. It was apparent in those last games of the season that Vonta played his position perfectly, and had good hands for the ball, which Cook does not.

But if you want to follow the logic that Vonta will continue to play 50-50 in quality, then if you actually look at his contract, the Texans are not getting gouged. He has very little guaranteed money (unlike the top FB in FA this year), and it would be simple to cut him if he does not perform. Or more likely trade him, since there were several teams interested in his services.

See what the Texans can do when they write contracts with low guarantees and easy clauses out so they don't get trapped with a player?

I would quit being pessimistic, since the Texans do not lose much on this.

Tulip
03-24-2007, 12:55 PM
I'm pleased. Yesterday was a bit of a downer, so I was glad to get some happy news.

WaywardTexanFan
03-24-2007, 12:59 PM
The Texans have in fact not matched the Giants' four-year offer sheet for FB Vonta Leach.

The Texans' team site has revised an initial press release that said the $8 million proposal was matched. Houston has until Monday to decide.

thunderkyss
03-24-2007, 02:49 PM
Look Vonta was not perfect last year.

But he is also a very young player. I know it might surprise some folks that young players take time to adjust and make rookie mistakes. We could just as easily entertain the idea that "it" finally clicked for Vonta on how to play his role. It was apparent in those last games of the season that Vonta played his position perfectly, and had good hands for the ball, which Cook does not.

But if you want to follow the logic that Vonta will continue to play 50-50 in quality, then if you actually look at his contract, the Texans are not getting gouged. He has very little guaranteed money (unlike the top FB in FA this year), and it would be simple to cut him if he does not perform. Or more likely trade him, since there were several teams interested in his services.

See what the Texans can do when they write contracts with low guarantees and easy clauses out so they don't get trapped with a player?

I would quit being pessimistic, since the Texans do not lose much on this.

You're right, it's not a lot of money, but as I said, I have to assume(some people don't like it when I assume) that the coaches figured he got "it", and believe they can get him to play 16 games like he did the last 5.

UHHEAVEN
03-24-2007, 02:55 PM
The Texans have in fact not matched the Giants' four-year offer sheet for FB Vonta Leach.

The Texans' team site has revised an initial press release that said the $8 million proposal was matched. Houston has until Monday to decide.

This post has already been posted and that is old news anyways (yesterdays news, for sure).

disaacks3
03-24-2007, 03:02 PM
And you publicly comenting that Vonta was an all-star(much less the only all star on offense) and that's a fan who doesn't know what the hell he's talking about.

One of us for sure.

Now, now gentlemen... :rolleyes:

It's also possible that it took that long for Vonta to get "comfortable" in the Houston incarnation of the ZBS. We'll find out for sure this year as he'll certainly get his shot. Look at it this way...if we overpaid, it wasn't by much and the Giants thought enough of him to tender a decent offer.

..one less thing to worry about before the draft, either way...:)

keyfro
03-24-2007, 03:52 PM
i wonder what's delaying the official annoucement of the re-signing...i know espn has annouced it but nothing on the official webpage, the chronicle, or nfl.com

hope there's no poison pill in the contract

markn
03-24-2007, 03:54 PM
i wonder what's delaying the official annoucement of the re-signing...i know espn has annouced it but nothing on the official webpage, the chronicle, or nfl.com

hope there's no poison pill in the contract

I believe the Texans are waiting for the cap adjustments from the Carr / Williams waivers before formally announcing the Leach deal.

Tulip
03-24-2007, 04:47 PM
My guess is that the Texans have already given Leach's agent the final word, but are just waiting until Monday to formalize it. Just a guess.

keyfro
03-24-2007, 04:59 PM
I believe the Texans are waiting for the cap adjustments from the Carr / Williams waivers before formally announcing the Leach deal.

cool...can't wait to see number 44 leading 30 into the defensive backfield running over little bob sanders

uhcougar08
03-25-2007, 11:53 AM
Has anyone heard anything at all about this?

The Pencil Neck
03-25-2007, 12:08 PM
Has anyone heard anything at all about this?

I originally thought that they had till Friday but I've heard that they actually have till Monday. I've heard that we've matched but they haven't announced it officially, yet. At least, not that I can find.

There is this from Pasquarelli, however:

UHHEAVEN
03-26-2007, 08:34 AM
Today is the final day. Let's see if we can make this deal official!!!!!!!!!!!!
:poker:

keyfro
03-26-2007, 08:40 AM
probably will be announced after lunch

uhcougar08
03-26-2007, 10:41 AM

And where did you get this info?

Vinny
03-26-2007, 10:43 AM
well, common sense tells me that if today is the deadline, and it's almost 11am, we probably hear something after lunch today.

:)

uhcougar08
03-26-2007, 10:54 AM
well, common sense tells me that if today is the deadline, and it's almost 11am, we probably hear something after lunch today.

:)

What I meant was is this a done deal, or are we still hoping for it to happen?

B.Diddy
03-26-2007, 10:56 AM
Well Im holding my breath on this one, I really like the way Vonta plays ........Plus he's my Frat brother ...(you can't go wrong wit a Que Dog on your team Steve Mcnair, Shaq, Micheal Jordan, Vince Carter ect LOL)

joedinkle
03-26-2007, 11:52 AM
I was wondering if he was Omega Psi Phi. He threw up the hooks after he scored that touchdown against the Colts, lol.

Vinny
03-26-2007, 11:54 AM

:)What I meant was is this a done deal, or are we still hoping for it to happen?
I bet we hear something after lunch today.

SAMURAITEXAN
03-26-2007, 12:00 PM
I bet we hear something after lunch today.

Don't say that! I can't go sleep now. It will be 2AM here. Another hour.........

Vinny
03-26-2007, 12:01 PM
Don't say that! I can't go sleep now. It will be 2AM here. Another hour.........
Texans tend to eat a late lunch

SAMURAITEXAN
03-26-2007, 12:13 PM
Texans tend to eat a late lunch

Thanks I needed that. _/\○_    _| ̄|・;∵..-=≡○ 

Dawgnme
03-26-2007, 12:18 PM
(you can't go wrong wit a Que Dog on your team Steve Mcnair, Shaq, Micheal Jordan, Vince Carter ect LOL)

True, true... U-Zeta was definitely in Reliant at the Colts game, and dawg did not disappoint http://mazeguy.net/animal/bulldog.gif!

Dallas_Texan
03-26-2007, 01:38 PM
True, true... U-Zeta was definitely in Reliant at the Colts game, and dawg did not disappoint http://mazeguy.net/animal/bulldog.gif!

Anything yet on V-Leach?

ttexan25
03-26-2007, 01:59 PM
No word yet!!!!! This is tense, I wish they would do thia already!!!!!!!:wild:

MYDAUGHTER'STEXANS
03-26-2007, 02:02 PM
Should hear something any minute now..........:wheel:

phantom17
03-26-2007, 02:08 PM
I'm gettin' a little nervous! FO pls don't let this guy go to the Giants! Times a runnin' :poker: .

UHHEAVEN
03-26-2007, 02:16 PM
Quick question, has the FO ever told someone that they are going to resign them and then changed their minds?

Cause they basically told everyone that they are resigning him when the PR department for the Texans prematurely put out the press release Friday.

So is there a chance we don't get him?

MYDAUGHTER'STEXANS
03-26-2007, 02:18 PM
Vonta is a must for the Texans backfield, this year......Save Vonta from the Giants

WaywardTexanFan
03-26-2007, 02:27 PM
Maybe the FO is paying some people back for all of the nasty notes posted here on the MB. FO is holding the news until the last seconds and laughing.:texan:

B.Diddy
03-26-2007, 02:29 PM

I almost jumped thru the ceiling when i saw him throw up tha Hooks after he scored aginst the colts :wild:

UHHEAVEN
03-26-2007, 03:02 PM
He's signed

Exithios
03-26-2007, 03:03 PM
He's signed

Have a link or source you can provide us?

The Pencil Neck
03-26-2007, 03:04 PM
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/detail.php?PRKey=3381&section=N%20Latest%20News

UHHEAVEN
03-26-2007, 03:05 PM
The Texans website!!!!!!!!!

Vinny
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/detail.php?PRKey=3381&section=N%20Latest%20News

see? I just ate and look what happened

UHHEAVEN
You called it!!!!1

The Pencil Neck
03-26-2007, 03:07 PM
see? I just ate and look what happened

You need to eat more.

Porky
03-26-2007, 03:08 PM
He's signed

:perfect10: :toast2: :whoohoo:

real
He's signed

Why pink ?

lol

HJam72
I thought he already signed, lol.

hadaad
03-26-2007, 03:09 PM

This story does not fill me with confidence that Jameel Cook will be released.

DoCRoN
03-26-2007, 03:10 PM

Not with this quote at the end:

"You add (Jameel) Cook (http://www.houstontexans.com/team/roster_detail.php?PRKey=193)to that mix and he adds another dimension as well as a back out of the backfield catching the ball and also as a guy who can block. I think it’s a good solid group,” Sherman said. “It will just continue to improve as those guys become familiar with each other.”

The Pencil Neck
03-26-2007, 03:10 PM

I think we're keeping him around for those key situations where we really, really need to fumble the ball away.

Señor Stan
03-26-2007, 03:11 PM
That is awesome news. I was sweating it out there for a while.

Vinny
03-26-2007, 03:13 PM
This story does not fill me with confidence that Jameel Cook will be released. We will end up bringing lesser players to camp...may the best men make the team. Cut the rest.

hadaad
03-26-2007, 03:15 PM
We will end up bringing lesser players to camp...may the best men make the team. Cut the rest.

Agreed.

texanfan2002114
03-26-2007, 03:31 PM
Good news!! Good job Texans!!

Specnatz
03-26-2007, 03:34 PM
We will end up bringing lesser players to camp...may the best men make the team. Cut the rest.

Cook is on the team for now, you can not diss a current player. Other players were said to be starters only to be released a few days later.

But like Vinny said I am sure there will be others brought into camp to compete.

WaywardTexanFan
03-26-2007, 03:40 PM
Finally the news we have been waiting for. Viva FO.

Insideop
03-26-2007, 03:49 PM
Well, I'm glad we got him signed. :yahoo: I was getting a little concerned there for awhile. Thought we might let him slip away!

Anyway, it's been a good offseason so far. A lot of surprises and I'm sure it's not over yet. Although, I would be happy if things stayed the way they are until the draft, I just have a feeling they still have more surprises in store for us. Nothing big, like the Schaub/Carr surprise, but something smaller, like maybe a trade to get an extra pick or signing another good FA (if there's any left). JMHO!

South Texan
03-26-2007, 03:59 PM
Good job FO.

Now fix the secondary!

UHHEAVEN
03-26-2007, 04:00 PM
Why pink ?

lol

Just was in a rush to post.

uhcougar08
03-26-2007, 04:21 PM
He's signed

Man, was I becoming worried about that one. I am giving the Texans a B+ right now for their off-season. I love the contracts they are signing with these guys. Good move FO!!!!

HOU-TEX
03-26-2007, 04:25 PM
He's signed

Why pink ?

lol

Come on now! That's not pink, it's magenta.:laughjump:

hadaad
03-26-2007, 04:51 PM
(snip)you can not diss a current player.(snip)

Since when?

And if it's true, there goes the during-the-season traffic.

edo783
03-26-2007, 06:33 PM
Come on now! That's not pink, it's magenta.:laughjump:

Nope, that be fushia!

SAMURAITEXAN
03-26-2007, 06:48 PM
You need to eat more.

Yeap tons more vinny. Glad to know Vonta is still with us.

Tulip
03-26-2007, 07:29 PM
Since when?

And if it's true, there goes the during-the-season traffic.

I think the meaning of that is that the coaching staff can't diss a current player.

It took me a few minutes to figure that out, though.

keyfro
03-26-2007, 07:44 PM
well now that it's official i'm glad he's back...i totally agree with vinny on jameel cook...we already have another fullback on the roster with robert douglas...there is no garentees in the NFL but i wouldn't expect us to keep two fullbacks that would equal 2 million on the cap...not a big time position to have that much money tied up into two players

that being said i don't see cook being released until deep into pre-season...let the guy compete

leach i would have to believe is the starter from day one this year with the texans staff matching the offer from new york

shanden
03-26-2007, 07:46 PM
Didnt the Texans already use up their two pre June 1st exception cuts such that Cook can't be cut till later anyway?

Specnatz
03-26-2007, 08:00 PM
I think the meaning of that is that the coaching staff can't diss a current player.

It took me a few minutes to figure that out, though.

What the heck I figured that would be a given. :confused:

I mean there would only be 5 people posting on this board if a fan could not diss a player.

:hunter:

kiwitexansfan
03-27-2007, 03:49 AM
I think we're keeping him around for those key situations where we really, really need to fumble the ball away.

Just love this comment, brought a smile to my face which is a big achievement at the moment.

By the way, really good to hear this confirmed.

hadaad
03-27-2007, 09:54 AM
What the heck I figured that would be a given. :confused:

I mean there would only be 5 people posting on this board if a fan could not diss a player.

:hunter:

Oh. Oops. My bad.

Jameel Cook can't carry the ball very well.