PDA

View Full Version : Dayne headed to Philly??

J_R
03-13-2007, 11:00 PM
No link but just saw in the sports segment on Fox news @ 9. He is suppose to meet with Eagle officials sometime this week. I dont remember the exact date.

Ole Miss Texan
03-13-2007, 11:15 PM
No link but just saw in the sports segment on Fox news @ 9. He is suppose to meet with Eagle officials sometime this week. I dont remember the exact date.

Doh! come on smith...sign him before his price increases.

LoneStarState
03-14-2007, 12:47 AM
Doh! come on smith...sign him before his price increases.

Why? They got Green. For most on this board, that's RB enough for this team.

Please_Evolve
03-14-2007, 01:15 AM

Yeah but i'd prefer an experienced starter like Dayne over Taylor and Lundy...unless we're keeping Gado and Leach as someone in Goal line situations. I think the last few games revived Dayne's Career and i hope he deceides to continue it here.

rockabilly
03-14-2007, 01:25 AM
I don't want to lose Dayne. Kick Lundy or Gado to the curb.

Ole Miss Texan
03-14-2007, 01:29 AM
I think Dayne did pretty much what we asked of him last year. He gave me a lot more than I expected and seemed like a team player. I think with Green being the feature back...Dayne wouldn't have quite so many carries and could really be effective in the red zone. Dayne was our best back last season.

mexican_texan
03-14-2007, 01:29 AM
I think its his second visit with them.

TEXANS84
03-14-2007, 08:57 AM
I'd hate to lose Dayne, but oh well....that's just the nature of the business sport.

BigWig
03-14-2007, 09:59 AM

Gr8 avatar rockabilly by the way!:joker:

Mr. White
03-14-2007, 10:06 AM

I think that Gado's looked pretty good when the run blocking solidified. I remember one of his blocks actually flipped a guy over. Seems like he also ran as effectively as Dayne did when he got a chance.

HuttoKarl
03-14-2007, 10:09 AM
Let him go break some Philly O-Lineman's leg. I'll take Green and a drafted RB.

infantrycak
03-14-2007, 11:28 AM
unless we're keeping Gado and Leach as someone in Goal line situations.

Heavier is not always better at the goal line--it is about nose for the end zone. See LT as exhibit A.

Ahman Green has done very well in short yardage situations:

2nd and less than 3--career avg. 3.9 ypc
3rd and less than 3--4.5 ypc
4th and less than 3--5.7 ypc

real
03-14-2007, 11:31 AM
I don't think losing Dayne is all that bad. I liked him and wish we could keep him, but at the same time, it on;y opens a door for some of our Younger guys.

I know we haven't seen much of Chris Taylor, but I think he can be a starting back in this leauge.

My Hero
03-14-2007, 12:24 PM
I hate to see someone that has performed well slip away. Depth chart should be:

Green
Dayne
Taylor
Lundy

Gado didn't do anything last year in comparison.

Ole Miss Texan
03-14-2007, 02:57 PM
Green
Dayne
Taylor
Lundy

I like those four for our RB's next season.

HOU-TEX
03-14-2007, 03:09 PM
I don't think losing Dayne is all that bad. I liked him and wish we could keep him, but at the same time, it on;y opens a door for some of our Younger guys.

I know we haven't seen much of Chris Taylor, but I think he can be a starting back in this leauge.

I agree with the both of your statements. I think Dayne was more or less a cork to plug the boat until dry land was in sight.

I was impressed with the way Taylor hit the hole. Instead of running over whoever was in the path, he appeared to let the blocks form in order to hit the gap. As far as Lundy and Gado go, eh depth and special teams if they're even kept.:)

El Tejano
03-14-2007, 03:20 PM
Sherman coached Green. Sherman coached Gado. Gado is staying.

TheRealJoker
03-14-2007, 03:29 PM
I bet Dayne wants to see what the market is like for him right now. Hope he finds his way back to the Texans to back up Green.

ArlingtonTexan
03-14-2007, 09:29 PM
per kffl.com

Andy Schwartz, of Philadelphia.ComcastSportsNet.com, reports free agent RB Ron Dayne (Texans) is scheduled to visit the Philadelphia Eagles Thursday, March 15, according to a league source.

nunusguy
03-14-2007, 09:40 PM
Yeah but i'd prefer an experienced starter like Dayne over Taylor and Lundy...unless we're keeping Gado and Leach as someone in Goal line situations. I think the last few games revived Dayne's Career and i hope he deceides to continue it here.
We've got one very experienced starter in Green, and we also need to develope one or two of the younger backs from the group of Taylor, Gado, & Lundy for the future.

jgl35
03-14-2007, 09:44 PM
FYI. There is a 16 page thread on the Eagles message board about Ron.

Most of them think as much of Ron as a player as a lot of you guys think of David Carr. Tough crowd considering Ron is from Berlin, N.J., just outside Philly.

Alot of that has to do with his days with the Giants.

I happen to like the idea of Ron joining the Eagles over resigning Buckhalter. With Buck and his two bad knees, I think they were lucky he got through last year. They have to get somebody dependable to give Westbrook a rest. Ron fits this for around 15 plays per game.

Ron due to met with the FO Thursday. The Eagles usually make an offer to the FA they met with, but it will not be for a lot of years of money.

aproberts03
03-14-2007, 10:32 PM
i don't think the eagles will sign dayne..buckhalter has been in the eagles system so long i think they will resign buckhalter to another 1 year deal..but if the eagles do sign dayne it would most likely be a 1 year deal and offer very little money

Buffi2
03-15-2007, 09:49 AM
First Leach and now Dayne. This isn't a good thing. Hopefully, someone will do something to keep these guys.

http://www.trentonian.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=18081203&BRD=1697&PAG=461&dept_id=178120&rfi=6

The Eagles are scheduled to visit today with free agent running back Ron Dayne, the 1999 Heisman Trophy winner from Berlin, N.J.

Agent Len Rowe confirmed the get-together with Dayne, who enjoyed resurgence last year with the Houston Texans.

and
http://philadelphia.comcastsportsnet.com/view_content_0p.asp?ID=46842

The Eagles are interested in adding a big running back.

A league source has told Comcast Sportsnet that Ron Dayne is scheduled to visit the Eagles on Thursday.

The Eagles are looking for a running back to complement Brian Westbrook, and based on his recent numbers, Dayne, who turned 29 on Wednesday, looks to be a good fit.

DGPowaR
03-15-2007, 12:07 PM
Let him go break some Philly O-Lineman's leg. I'll take Green and a drafted RB.

That dude is freakin huge...hes gonna stomp on Tra Thomas leg and snap it in half...

But still, id love to keep him around for insurance, i think we all became his fan after his monster - 100 yard performance, which is a rariety here

freedoggy77
03-15-2007, 12:12 PM
so they get Dayne and we get Barber?

TexansLucky13
03-15-2007, 12:19 PM
I really don't care what happens here. I am good with or without Dayne.

On a sidenote, though, we shouldn't forget that he ended Spencers season, and he almost took Daniels out too.

El Tejano
03-15-2007, 12:20 PM
Well Dayne said he would like to continue playing here, we should see if he meant it.

Who else has courted him?

Exithios
03-15-2007, 12:32 PM
I really don't care what happens here. I am good with or without Dayne.

On a sidenote, though, we shouldn't forget that he ended Spencers season, and he almost took Daniels out too.

I am still skeptical about putting all the blame on Dayne for either of those scenerios. Dayne is a massive 240+ lbs. running back, a straight ahead power runner that makes his own holes. I just don't see lineman getting injured to due them being slow to open a gap being the fault of Dayne.

They don't wanna get plowed by Dayne, then they need to open up a hole stat.

My :twocents:

South Texan
03-15-2007, 01:39 PM
I hope they can hold onto Dayne for a few games to see if the "resurgance" is real. He is still a question mark, but I would like to see that question answered in Houston.

IMO Leach held his own every time he played, I would be even sadder to see him go.

But, like they say, #### happens. <sigh>

HuttoKarl
03-15-2007, 02:11 PM
I am still skeptical about putting all the blame on Dayne for either of those scenerios. Dayne is a massive 240+ lbs. running back, a straight ahead power runner that makes his own holes. I just don't see lineman getting injured to due them being slow to open a gap being the fault of Dayne.

They don't wanna get plowed by Dayne, then they need to open up a hole stat.

My :twocents:

You're such a Dayne Lover! :dance2: :dance2: :dance2:

(yeah...I'm joking.)

OrangeCountyTexansFan
03-15-2007, 02:15 PM
I agree. Dayne was our lifeblood in several games last season. Lundy and Gado did not impress me very much with their play. I would much rather have Dayne in a goal line situation over either one of those two.

MATRIX
03-15-2007, 03:02 PM
Green is staying ofcourse...as is Taylor I would think.

After that, it gets cloudy. Gado a former Packer, Sherman coached him...so maybe.

Lundy looked good at times, is it enough. I'm not sure, only the FO can say.

Dayne, I belive is gone do to his age. I figure if they want another big back, they will get a goal line guy in say the 5th or 6th. Just a guy who can come in and push a pile.

David's Busted Carr
03-15-2007, 03:15 PM
Let that turd go. We'll be more than fine with Green and Peterson!

DayneBum
03-15-2007, 03:27 PM
i see alot of guys saying Gado is staying b/c of Sherman coashing him. Yaw forget that kubiak coached Dayne in denver, so why wouldnt he be back. Dayne did say he would like to be back here, but that was before Green arrived. i mean the guy turned 29 yesterday, so he isnt as old as some of u think. Plus he hasnt carried the ball in the nfl the way he did in college, so its plenty left in the tank.

infantrycak
03-15-2007, 03:34 PM
Let that turd go.

Nice classy post.

HJam72
03-15-2007, 05:12 PM
I agree. Dayne was our lifeblood in several games last season. Lundy and Gado did not impress me very much with their play. I would much rather have Dayne in a goal line situation over either one of those two.

I would rather have Dayne in ANY situation than either of those two, other than the one where he isn't healthy of course.

BSofA04
03-15-2007, 05:15 PM
Two big backs would be great for us next year. If we could get some solid blocking, it'll force teams to stack 8 men in the box and our _______QB could feed Johnson and _______WR#2 all day long with man to man coverage. You know that defenders would hate to play us because we're going to pound the ball right at them. And just when they think we're going to run it on 3rd and 4, we hit them with a 40 yard TD pass to Johnson!

Hervoyel
03-15-2007, 05:16 PM

The opinions of "most on this board" don't amount to much in my opinion. Green is fine if all goes as planned but take a moment to reflect on the many things in Texans history that have "gone as planned" and then tell me again that we don't need to go ahead and sign Ron Dayne.

Where is the chorus of voices shouting "It takes two good backs to make it through an NFL season" that we always hear when things like this come up?

He was our only effective running back in 2006. He's got low miles, should come at a reasonable price, and he's effecting in this system which he knows very well.

jerek
03-15-2007, 05:19 PM
I admit I was not a Dayne fan at first as he looked really awful. However as the season came around and his injury healed, he performed such that I'd happily keep him as a tandem back to go with Green. I don't think either of our rookies (well, 1-year vets now) are ready for major duty and Dayne made things happen the second half of the season. I don't trust Green to do as much running as we're going to require and I think Dayne makes a perfectly functional second back.

dirty steve
03-15-2007, 05:24 PM
I think Dayne makes a perfectly functional second back.

you certainly could have worse situations. i was really going to have hard time with the running game if we had the exact same cast coming back. green/dayne would suit me fine.

you just hope dayne doesnt overvalue himself on the open market as he would likely have the same role there as here in backing up westbrook.

thunderkyss
03-15-2007, 06:01 PM
i see alot of guys saying Gado is staying b/c of Sherman coashing him. Yaw forget that kubiak coached Dayne in denver, so why wouldnt he be back. Dayne did say he would like to be back here, but that was before Green arrived. i mean the guy turned 29 yesterday, so he isnt as old as some of u think. Plus he hasnt carried the ball in the nfl the way he did in college, so its plenty left in the tank.

For whatever reason, we signed Dayne to a one year deal, and Gado to more(three I think). Gado's money is already spent, so to speak. Where Dayne might get a better offer than what we are willing to pay, Gado is already locked in.

I'd much rather have Dayne... but you know. It's business.

ArlingtonTexan
03-15-2007, 07:26 PM
For whatever reason, we signed Dayne to a one year deal, and Gado to more(three I think). Gado's money is already spent, so to speak. Where Dayne might get a better offer than what we are willing to pay, Gado is already locked in.

I'd much rather have Dayne... but you know. It's business.

Gado is not really signed to any deal, but is under control of the Texans. As an undrafted rookie FA his first three years are under the control of the team he is playing for and unless he becomes a superstar will be at minimum salary. The classification is Exclusive rights Free Agent and they are almost always offered league minimum.

thunderkyss
03-15-2007, 08:05 PM
Gado is not really signed to any deal, but is under control of the Texans. As an undrafted rookie FA his first three years are under the control of the team he is playing for and unless he becomes a superstar will be at minimum salary. The classification is Exclusive rights Free Agent and they are almost always offered league minimum.

Good info, thanks a lot.

keyfro
03-15-2007, 09:38 PM
the thing about our RB situation is atleast we have plenty of options...we have lundy and taylor who are pretty much unknowns as far as their real talent is concerned...we have gado who is also unknown as far as what his talent level really is...then we have the ability to re-sign dayne who we know can be that pounder in the middle...or if that doesn't work the draft is still ahead of us

personally i would rather see us bring back dayne for a short term contract which would allow us to have that guy int he middle...and a guy we know we can rely on if green goes down...but if we can get the deal done it won't be the end of the world either...personally i'd like to see what taylor could do in a supporting role with green

brncoz1fan
03-15-2007, 09:39 PM
I was really hoping the Texans would re-sign him. Just watched his press conference with the Eagles and it seems it probably won't be a possibility he will be a Texan next year.

J_R
03-16-2007, 08:42 AM
http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/sports/16914708.htm

Ill show just a few quotes of what he said at the press conference(according from the inquirer?, and it sounds that he may be headed for Philly.(?)

"It would be nice to be close to home and close to family and stuff like that," said Dayne, who now lives in Colorado. "My family is close to here, and a lot of them are Eagles fans."

"Dayne said he knows if he signs with the Eagles, he'll be a backup to Brian Westbrook, but he isn't worried about playing that role."

"I know Westbrook is the man right now," Dayne said. "It would be nice to be on a Super Bowl team and it's a great team here."

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
03-16-2007, 08:46 AM
610 already reporting Dayne has signed with Philly.

tulexan
03-16-2007, 08:51 AM
Looks like we are going to need another running back now. If Peterson is there, we are taking him.

O.G.
03-16-2007, 08:55 AM
Looks like we are going to need another running back now. If Peterson is there, we are taking him.

If not Peterson, we will find someone or give Chris Taylor the Shot he deserves. Remember, the Texans supposetly really like Ramonce Taylor and we all know what he is cable of.

tulexan
03-16-2007, 08:57 AM
Remember, the Texans supposetly really like Ramonce Taylor and we all know what he is cable of.

Getting busted with 5 pounds of weed?

TEXANRED
03-16-2007, 08:57 AM
Green, Lundy, Taylor.

Texan_Bill
03-16-2007, 09:01 AM
Wow.......... Ron Dayne in Philly.

Cheesesteaks sales will dramatically increase.

autch14
03-16-2007, 10:33 AM
The chronicle said that dayne signed with them. So i guess we go with green and taylor? I was hoping we could re sign him and he be our big power back on 3rd and short.

real
03-16-2007, 10:34 AM
Oh Well...

guess we just gotta do without him.

Exithios
03-16-2007, 10:35 AM
The chronicle said that dayne signed with them. So i guess we go with green and taylor? I was hoping we could re sign him and he be our big power back on 3rd and short.

This is where I am hoping we re-sign Leach, HE could be our big power back on 3rd and short. Hate to see Dayne go but I am sure he was tendered a much sweeter deal by the Eagles than we were willing to offer him with the signing of Green.

freedoggy77
03-16-2007, 10:35 AM
aw u beat me to posting this by 1 minute!! however i don't really care, chris taylor may turn out to be big or we might get AD

keyfro
03-16-2007, 10:37 AM
it's a shame that dayne didn't want to stay here to compete with green rather than be content to be the back up to westbrook...but if you look at through his eyes he is probably at the point where he wants to go to a winner who has a better chance of going to the playoffs...we'll miss his power running...wish him luck in phili...now the staff really needs to turn their attention to leach and get him signed...without a powerback we'll need the better blocking that he provides over cook

Porky
03-16-2007, 10:47 AM
Dayne was never the answer anyway, apoligies to Herv, but the guy has never proven he can carry the load. To me, it's eh. Don't care one way or the other.

I think we have a real chance at Peterson, who along with Green, would make our RB group one of the best in the league hands down. It's time to make at least one group in this offense top notch - something we can hang our hat on and be able to rely on through thick and thin. An AP and Green combo give us that.

ATX
03-16-2007, 10:50 AM
Stupid move on Dayne's part IMO. Even with Green here, I still think he would succeed more under Kubiak than under Reed. But who knows, Westbrook hasn't been so healthy the past couple of years.

Lucky
03-16-2007, 10:52 AM
Good signing by the Eagles. Dayne is the perfect complement to Westbrook.

texasguy346
03-16-2007, 10:54 AM
Maybe we'll see a few more running plays out of the Eagles as they get closer to the endzone next year. I think Dayne will do well for them, and he'll make Westbrook even more effective.

DayneBum
03-16-2007, 11:00 AM
Dayne was never the answer anyway, apoligies to Herv, but the guy has never proven he can carry the load. To me, it's eh. Don't care one way or the other.

I think we have a real chance at Peterson, who along with Green, would make our RB group one of the best in the league hands down. It's time to make at least one group in this offense top notch - something we can hang our hat on and be able to rely on through thick and thin. An AP and Green combo give us that.

not nessaceraly(speel check) Dayne's never carried the ball over 25times in his nfl career. Pronabably 5-6 times he has done that. And when he does get those carries, and he's healthy, u see the heisman trophy winner. I mean if the guy carried the ball 30-40 times in college. Why are u gonna give him 6-10 carriesin this league and try to make him a back that he isnt...nobody but kubiak has used dAyne the correct way. And With Westbrook playing a reggie bush role, Dayne may get 20-25 carries in Philly...they have been wanting him for a long time now.

Ole Miss Texan
03-16-2007, 11:08 AM
Well good luck to you Ron...I gave you a hard time for a while while in Houston but I sure warmed up to you and liked you a lot! lol

I really wanted Dayne resigned but so goes it. I also really want Leach resigned but who knows how thats gonna turn out?

This make me want us to take Brian Leonard FB/RB in the 2nd round if he's there and kalil is gone. Above average blocker, terrific out of the back field at receiving, good route running, tough strong runner that's hard to bring down.

him and green could compliment each other with taylor coming in as well.

Tulip
03-16-2007, 11:09 AM
I don't think it's a stupid move at all for Dayne. He's moving to a winning team. He's much more likely to play in a Super Bowl for Philly than for Houston. Football is a team sport that is played by very competitive guys. Playing for the Texans has been like :brickwall for so many players.

El Amigo Invisible
03-16-2007, 11:10 AM

The boy can run like the wind!

O.G.
03-16-2007, 11:20 AM
The boy can run like the wind!

My point exactly. He made a mistake. He is paying millions for it right now. Warren Sapp smoked weed. Lost millions and became a all pro. Is he a Pacman Jones, not by any means. Is he a saint, not by any means but that doesn't mean he is warranted the opportunity. We can go thru a long list of people that have questionable situations that wasn't discussed in mainstream newspapers. I don't hear anyone Bashing Aaron Ross......and umm wasn't he in the car with two ex long horns that had weed and was sleep with a gun in his lap missing the Ohio State game......he's suppose to go in the 1st round and that is just one instance off the top of my head. Don't have a second thought that the texans wouldn't draft him either.

TEXANS84
03-16-2007, 11:22 AM
Good to hear that Dayne got a good break. Should be a great pickup for the Eagles.

I wish the guy nothing but luck, especially against the Giants.

Lucky
03-16-2007, 11:31 AM
My point exactly. He made a mistake. He is paying millions for it right now.
Ramonce Taylor was never the kind of prospect that would get "millions". He's a tweener RB/WR that could have been a 2nd day pick prior to getting busted. Now, likely a undrafted free agent who will get a good amount of calls after the draft. Maybe from the Texans, maybe not.

You're not hearing "anyone" bashing Aaron Ross. But, you must realize that privately NFL teams are looking into his background thoroughly.

DayneBum
03-16-2007, 11:34 AM
Good to hear that Dayne got a good break. Should be a great pickup for the Eagles.

I wish the guy nothing but luck, especially against the Giants.

Tex 84 i was thinking the same thing..i hope the news is true..b/c i havent seen a link or heard reports on tv....But if it is true, thats 2wice a year he'll face the team that messed his career up......payback is a B****CH

Mr. White
03-16-2007, 11:39 AM
Tex 84 i was thinking the same thing..i hope the news is true..b/c i havent seen a link or heard reports on tv....But if it is true, thats 2wice a year he'll face the team that messed his career up......payback is a B****CH

Hope you check back in with us to let us know how he's doing. He was huge in getting us some of these W's last year.

I hear that the Eagles have a pretty tough camp. Hope that he stays healthy.

Carr Bombed
03-16-2007, 11:47 AM
not nessaceraly(speel check) Dayne's never carried the ball over 25times in his nfl career. Pronabably 5-6 times he has done that. And when he does get those carries, and he's healthy, u see the heisman trophy winner. I mean if the guy carried the ball 30-40 times in college. Why are u gonna give him 6-10 carriesin this league and try to make him a back that he isnt...nobody but kubiak has used dAyne the correct way. And With Westbrook playing a reggie bush role, Dayne may get 20-25 carries in Philly...they have been wanting him for a long time now.

Dayne is not going to get 20-25 carries in Philly. Dayne was the starter (when healthy) in Houston, because Houston was severely lacking in the backfield talent wise.

(and despite popular belief the more Dayne carried the ball, they worse he did, stat wise.........http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/5040/situational)

The Eagles have Westbrook who is a top notch back, Dayne will be nothing more than a 3rd down back in philly and will go back to his NY days where he was backing up another small scat back in Barber.

DayneBum
03-16-2007, 12:57 PM
Dayne is not going to get 20-25 carries in Philly. Dayne was the starter (when healthy) in Houston, because Houston was severely lacking in the backfield talent wise.

(and despite popular belief the more Dayne carried the ball, they worse he did, stat wise.........http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/5040/situational)

The Eagles have Westbrook who is a top notch back, Dayne will be nothing more than a 3rd down back in philly and will go back to his NY days where he was backing up another small scat back in Barber.

c'mon carrbomb...do u know who u speaking too?,.....Dayne is they type of player that gets stronger and stronger as the game goes on and more u keep feeding him the ball...SEE LAST 4-5 games last year for houston. He's not gonna be effectyive carrying the ball 3 times every 3-4 sereies, which is what ur showing me......even in NYG. tiki was injured for 3 games.Dayne took over as trhe featuered back and his number out of those 3 games went like this.....57car. 337yards 3tds. with a 5.3 avg......u feed hikm the ball u get results. bottom line!!!!!!!!!!!!! He may not get 25 car in Philly but he will get 15-20..and if westbrook takes more of a reggie bush type role, which he can, and Dayne will get 20 carries a game..

ArlingtonTexan
03-16-2007, 01:06 PM
He may not get 25 car in Philly but he will get 15-20..and if westbrook takes more of a reggie bush type role, which he can, and Dayne will get 20 carries a game..

No Dayne won't be getting 20 carries a game in Philly

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/10033511

The Philadelphia Eagles reached an agreement Friday with free agent RB Correll Buckhalter on a two-year contract. The deal is expected to eliminate the chance that the Eagles would sign free agent RB Ron Dayne, who visited the team earlier this week.

powerfuldragon
03-16-2007, 01:12 PM
good.

Lucky
03-16-2007, 01:15 PM
610 already reporting Dayne has signed with Philly.

The chronicle said that dayne signed with them.
Did 610 and the Chronic really say that? I don't see it on the Chronic's web site. If so, the sports reporting in Houston is worse than I thought. And I thought it was already dreadful.

Mr. White
03-16-2007, 01:18 PM
Did 610 and the Chronic really say that? I don't see it on the Chronic's web site. If so, the sports reporting in Houston is worse than I thought. And I thought it was already dreadful.

610's been reporting it all morning. I don't think the Chronic ever picked the story up.

real
03-16-2007, 01:21 PM
"I got a lot of calls [Wednesday] night," the former Heisman Trophy winner said during his visit with the Eagles yesterday at the NovaCare Complex. "I'm getting calls right now. I can feel my pocket vibrating."

Dayne, a star in the mid-1990s at Overbrook High School in South Jersey, said most of his relatives still reside in the area and they want the unrestricted free agent to sign with the Eagles.

"It would be nice to be close to home and close to family and stuff like that," said Dayne, who now lives in Colorado. "My family is close to here, and a lot of them are Eagles fans."

Dayne and his relatives should find out fairly soon whether he'll be returning to the area. The Eagles are expected to sign a backup running back within the next day or so, with Dayne and Correll Buckhalter as the most likely options.

Buckhalter, 28, is also an unrestricted free agent who apparently is in search of more playing time with another team after carrying the ball 83 times for 345 yards and two touchdowns with the Eagles last season. Buckhalter also caught 24 passes for 256 yards and a touchdown, but it was the first time in three years that he was able to play because of a severe knee injury.

Dayne, who turned 29 Wednesday, is coming off his most productive season since his second year with the New York Giants in 2001. He led the Houston Texans last season with 612 rushing yards on 151 carries. He also rushed for five touchdowns.

Despite those more-than-respectable numbers in his 11 games with the Texans, Houston opted to go in a different direction and signed free-agent running back Ahman Green from the Green Bay Packers.

"It was just being able to get the opportunity to carry the ball," Dayne said. "I knew I could still play. I just never had that opportunity and coach [Gary] Kubiak gave me that opportunity to do that."

Dayne said he knows if he signs with the Eagles, he'll be a backup to Brian Westbrook, but he isn't worried about playing that role.

"I know Westbrook is the man right now," Dayne said. "It would be nice to be on a Super Bowl team and it's a great team here."

Printed TODAY. (http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/sports/16914708.htm)

keyfro
03-16-2007, 01:33 PM
typical eagle news...they probably can't make up their own minds about which one they would prefer to have...but they supposedly have re-signed buckhalter now making it clear that they have not signed dayne

cuppacoffee
03-16-2007, 01:43 PM

I for one am hoping that Ramonce gets another chance, preferably as a Texan.

And I am not even remotely a TU fan.

He made a mistake.

:coffee:

My Hero
03-16-2007, 01:48 PM
I don't see this as a done deal yet.

http://www.nfl.com/transactions

Fri Mar 16 13:08:35 EDT 2007
Friday, March 16, 2007
Cleveland Browns Shaun Smith signed
Kansas City Chiefs Ron Edwards re-signed/unrestricted free agent, Four-year contract
Philadelphia Eagles Correll Buckhalter re-signed/unrestricted free agent, Two-year contract
Pittsburgh Steelers Chidi Iwuoma signed/unrestricted free agent, One-year contract
San Diego Chargers Ryon Bingham re-signed/exclusive rights free agent, One-year contract
Thursday, March 15, 2007
Cleveland Browns Robaire Smith signed/unrestricted free agent, Four-year contract
Philadelphia Eagles Kevin Curtis signed
San Diego Chargers Derreck Robinson re-signed/exclusive rights free agent, One-year contract
San Francisco 49ers John Syptak signed

O.G.
03-16-2007, 01:54 PM
Ramonce Taylor was never the kind of prospect that would get "millions". He's a tweener RB/WR that could have been a 2nd day pick prior to getting busted. Now, likely a undrafted free agent who will get a good amount of calls after the draft. Maybe from the Texans, maybe not.

You're not hearing "anyone" bashing Aaron Ross. But, you must realize that privately NFL teams are looking into his background thoroughly.

Just as they would do a thorough background check on Lynch for the assault situation or anyone else for that matter. They have too. No one wants to draft the next Pacman Jones. Let's not for the the greatest prospect in the history of the NFL "supposetly"....the reincarnation of Gale Seares was a tweener RB/WR that had everyone drooling with his 4.30 speed. Not saying Ramonce is that person, but he was getting comparison that that person from USC for this year.

DayneBum
03-16-2007, 01:57 PM
No Dayne won't be getting 20 carries a game in Philly

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/10033511

Wel AT, i guess not......This offense is more suitable for him anyway......it would've been nice for him to come back home though....But he's got family in Houston too, so its all good.

tulexan
03-16-2007, 02:29 PM
Wel AT, i guess not......This offense is more suitable for him anyway......it would've been nice for him to come back home though....But he's got family in Houston too, so its all good.

You are assuming that we will re-sign him.

El Tejano
03-16-2007, 02:40 PM
I noticed alot of guys saying we will go with Green and Taylor. Keep in mind that even if Peterson doesn't fall to us, the dude from Cal is a good option and there are plenty of good 2nd round backs, like Kenny Irons.

My Hero
03-16-2007, 02:44 PM
I noticed alot of guys saying we will go with Green and Taylor. Keep in mind that even if Peterson doesn't fall to us, the dude from Cal is a good option and there are plenty of good 2nd round backs, like Kenny Irons.

The dude from Cal. Marshawn Lynch is a great option, many here don't think he's worth the number 8.

Carr Bombed
03-16-2007, 03:16 PM
c'mon carrbomb...do u know who u speaking too?,.....Dayne is they type of player that gets stronger and stronger as the game goes on and more u keep feeding him the ball...SEE LAST 4-5 games last year for houston. He's not gonna be effectyive carrying the ball 3 times every 3-4 sereies, which is what ur showing me......even in NYG. tiki was injured for 3 games.Dayne took over as trhe featuered back and his number out of those 3 games went like this.....57car. 337yards 3tds. with a 5.3 avg......u feed hikm the ball u get results. bottom line!!!!!!!!!!!!! He may not get 25 car in Philly but he will get 15-20..and if westbrook takes more of a reggie bush type role, which he can, and Dayne will get 20 carries a game..

Uh...no I don't know who I'm speaking too, I do know however that Dayne is at his best carrying the ball less than 20x, because as soon as he goes over 20 carries his #s drop dramitically and he's not getting 20 carries in Phili. Why would the Eagles take so many touches from their best playmaker.

Aiden
03-16-2007, 03:20 PM
Uh...no I don't know who I'm speaking too, I do know however that Dayne is at his best carrying the ball less than 20x, because as soon as he goes over 20 carries his #s drop dramitically and he's not getting 20 carries in Phili. Why would the Eagles take so many touches from their best playmaker.

LMAO

keyfro
03-16-2007, 05:27 PM
it is true that last year once dayne got more than 20 carries he really started to feel it...remember this guy wasn't in training camp long enough to get into football shape...he wasn't in a few of the games due to injury...so this entire season he wasn't in good football condition

i wonder what kind of a back he could be if he was able to get back into great shape before the season started...still think he's only a 20-25 carry guy and that's way more than we would be giving him per game with green getting close to 25 himself...dayne, if he re-signs with us, is probably looking at more than 5 but rarely over 10 carries per game with us

HuttoKarl
03-16-2007, 06:49 PM

I like Kenny Irons and wouldn't mind seeing him in the second.

BattleRedToro
03-16-2007, 08:11 PM
So, is Dayne still available for the Texans to resign, or not? If he is available I hope the Texans resign him. I think he could be good for the Texans.

brncoz1fan
03-16-2007, 08:18 PM
So, is Dayne still available for the Texans to resign, or not? If he is available I hope the Texans resign him. I think he could be good for the Texans.

Yes he is and yes the Texans should re sign him. Can't figure out why the Texans spent so much on Green; I don't think he is the second coming of L.T.

BattleRedToro
03-16-2007, 08:20 PM
Yes he is and yes the Texans should re sign him. Can't figure out why the Texans spent so much on Green; I don't think he is the second coming of L.T.

He isn't the second coming of L.T. He is the second coming of Ahman Green.:joker:

03-16-2007, 08:26 PM

uhh?...

O.G.
03-17-2007, 11:18 AM
Dayne resigns with the Texans. Read the article this morning in the chronicle

HuttoKarl
03-17-2007, 11:25 AM

Why don't people realize that Houston's on the hook for very little of the contract. Less than 7 million, if I'm not mistaken. He's a two year guy and then cuttin' time. It was a great signing for a nice price.

Specnatz
03-17-2007, 02:31 PM
All the signings this year have been very cap friendly and more in the line of depth and making sure the Texans do not have the sameissue as they did last year after a rash of injuries and lack luster play hurt them tremendously.

Smith seems content with signing players this year that are not top echelon guys and letting the cap issue work itself out for next year. Many of us looked at certain players and drooled over them and wanted this guy or that guy signed, but after Clements signed such a huge contract and would not have allowed the team to have anymore signings. Looks like he is take the NE approach in building through the draft and not signing free agents to cap crippling contracts until the team is on the doorstep.