PDA

View Full Version : Biggest Move Ever ?

canadiantexan
03-13-2007, 10:10 AM
In your opinion is the Ahman Green signing the biggest free agent move the Texans have ever made? Could it be the biggest move period?. Do you think that it will usher in a new era of big name free agents actually wanting to sign with Houston? Just thought I'd see what your thoughts were.

Texan_Bill
03-13-2007, 10:19 AM
I think our biggest off-season move will always be Danny Wuerffel for Jerry DeLoach....:sarcasm:

Anyway, I don't think you will see a move bigger than the Green signing this year, because of cap issues. However if you check out another thread, http://forums.houstontexans.com/showthread.php?t=36593
it sounds like this time next year, we could be in a really good cap situation and then you may see bigger free agent signings....

freedoggy77
03-13-2007, 10:30 AM
it's the biggest move in our 6 yr. existence but hopefully not the biggest in years to come

Mr. White
03-13-2007, 10:35 AM
I think that the Eric Moulds signing was bigger . Let's hope the Green signing doesn't end up with the same result.

yourfavoritetexan42
03-13-2007, 10:43 AM
lol eric moulds did fine... its just we thought he sucked because we never gave him the ball. I still think it was stupid releasing him...

srstex
03-13-2007, 10:54 AM
I'd have to say that Green is a bigger deal than Moulds mainly because, as Kubiak said himself, we are going to run first, so Green should be in more plays right there. But, as with all the new signings, we won't know till the end of the season, and that is a long way off. But my pick, right now, is Jordan Black at Tackle, left or right. This move now gives us stater quality talent and versitily, that we have never seen here since Bruce Matthews with the Oilers. Salaam, Black, McKinney, Flannigan, Winston, Spencer?.
Could this be the year we have the talent on the oline to put the running game on track?

Mr. White
03-13-2007, 11:01 AM
lol eric moulds did fine... its just we thought he sucked because we never gave him the ball.

...or we couldn't get him the ball. Just like every other #2. I'm still a little ticked over his release.

HOU-TEX
03-13-2007, 11:04 AM
I'd have to say that Green is a bigger deal than Moulds mainly because, as Kubiak said himself, we are going to run first, so Green should be in more plays right there. But, as with all the new signings, we won't know till the end of the season, and that is a long way off. But my pick, right now, is Jordan Black at Tackle, left or right. This move now gives us stater quality talent and versitily, that we have never seen here since Bruce Matthews with the Oilers. Salaam, Black, McKinney, Flannigan, Winston, Spencer?.
Could this be the year we have the talent on the oline to put the running game on track?

That's hilarious! How on earth can you compare Black to Mathews? IMO, if Black is a starter this year then we didn't do a good job this offseason. He's solid depth, that's it. The next Bruce Mathews, Pfft! Talking about belittling a Hall of Famer.:)

GP
03-13-2007, 11:13 AM
There are between 15 and 20 other RBs out there that would have been a "Big" signing.

Signing an aging veteran who couldn't get re-signed by his own team is not a "big" move to me.

Acquiring Shaun Alexander is a big move.

Acquiring LT is a big move.

We acquire cast-offs who want a lot of money but whose team will not pay it, therefore they come here and get what they want (Todd Wade, for example).

We acquire players who are arguably on the downhill side of their career (Ahman Green) and herald it as a big move. It's big for US, I guess, if you want to look at it that way. Of course, we are talking about a team that tried to begin its first season with James Allen as its starting RB. And then there's the whole Stacey Mack thing to think about.

Throw in Dayne, and it's obvious that DD's injury might have set this team back as much as anything else that's been mentioned to have thrown us back.

Ahman might prove me wrong. I'm just past the point of getting excited about the "big time moves" that this team attempts to persuade me as being so wonderful.

The cap is a hurdle. Next year looks better, I guess. I still would love to see us grab 4.33-40yd. Adrian Peterson who can steamroll, cut, and catch the ball. 4.3 speed, bruther.

srstex
03-13-2007, 11:26 AM
That's hilarious! How on earth can you compare Black to Mathews? IMO, if Black is a starter this year then we didn't do a good job this offseason. He's solid depth, that's it. The next Bruce Mathews, Pfft! Talking about belittling a Hall of Famer.:)

Sorry, of course you're right, Matthews was one of the best, but I just got so excited at the prospect of having a real Oline I couldn't control myself. No offense ment. BUT, I still love the move.

HOU-TEX
03-13-2007, 11:36 AM
Sorry, of course you're right, Matthews was one of the best, but I just got so excited at the prospect of having a real Oline I couldn't control myself. No offense ment. BUT, I still love the move.

No offense taken. No worries bro. Look, I'm ok with the signing of Black. I look at it as depth and competition. I'm just saying if we're counting on him being a starter going into this season, then we didn't do a good job this off-season at that position. Unless they think Spencer's coming back. Which Kubiak has said he wasn't counting on injured players this off-season.:)

infantrycak
03-13-2007, 11:44 AM
There are between 15 and 20 other RBs out there that would have been a "Big" signing.

Really, 15-20 of these guys would have been a "Big" signing:

Betts, Ladell
Brown, Chris
Brown, Dee
Buckhalter, Correll
Cason, Aveion
Davenport, Najeh
Davis, Stephen
Dayne, Ron
Fisher, Tony
Green, DeJuan
Harris, Arlen
Mahe, Reno
Minor, Travis
Morris, Sammy
Mungro, James
Rhodes, Dominic
Scobey, Josh
Shipp, Marcel
Smith, Musa
Thomas, Anthony
Toefield , LaBrandon
Watson, Kenny

Guess you are saying everyone is better.

srstex
03-13-2007, 11:45 AM
With what I have gotten use to with our Oline since day one, this signing is a red letter day, and the FO didn't wait, like with DD/W last year, till it was too late. So this signing shows that the Coaches are making moves to improve the biggest problem on this team, and not waiting till the last minute to react to a known problem-Spencer's leg.

HOU-TEX
03-13-2007, 11:48 AM
With what I have gotten use to with our Oline since day one, this signing is a red letter day, and the FO didn't wait, like with DD/W last year, till it was too late. So this signing shows that the Coaches are making moves to improve the biggest problem on this team, and not waiting till the last minute to react to a known problem-Spencer's leg.

I agree. I just hope they aren't settling on Black. We'll see. I'm hoping they draft an Olineen or two next month.:victory:

Mr. White
03-13-2007, 11:53 AM
I agree. I just hope they aren't settling on Black. We'll see. I'm hoping they draft an Olineen or two next month.:victory:

Agreed. I'm hoping that there's one in the 2nd-4th.

Lots of people were talking like Brick Ferguson and Winston Justice were the only tackles in the draft. I'll bet if I did a search there wouldn't be any hits for Charles Spencer prior to April 29 of last year.

Mr teX
03-13-2007, 12:04 PM
Our biggest move is the move we didn't make last year in the draft.

03-13-2007, 12:33 PM
I think our biggest off-season move will always be Danny Wuerffel for Jerry DeLoach....:sarcasm:

well, it'll always be our first move...

dtran04
03-13-2007, 12:45 PM
Bringing Boselli here was a "big" move, as far as name and impact of a player. It's just he never played.

ROCKY
03-13-2007, 01:25 PM
It is the biggest free agent signing so far. Moulds was a big deal at the time, but this is a guy who will touch the ball alot, and (perhaps even more importantly) pick up blitzes and pass block. If healthy, Ahman will help this team. And I think that some people have been fooled into thinking that batman is out of gas. But Green is a consistent 1,000 yard rusher. The only real question is health.

So give him a break, he'll be in a rotation so he'll stay fresh. I think well get a couple of great years from batman.

:fans:

Ole Miss Texan
03-13-2007, 01:30 PM
I think our biggest move ever was resigning Andre Johnson when his contract wasn't up...assuring us that he will be a Texan his whole career.