PDA

View Full Version : Briggs:I'll never play another down for Chicago

TwinSisters
03-12-2007, 11:08 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6562918?MSNHPHMA

"I've played my last snap for them. I'll never play another down for Chicago again." - Briggs

Pretty interesting.

mexican_texan
03-12-2007, 11:12 PM
Something's up with that FO. The players and coaches appear to hate them.

hot pickle
03-12-2007, 11:59 PM
david carr and our 2nd round for briggs...........?

i know we dont have the money, but i wish we did, 10 bucks says the 49ers get him

Specnatz
03-13-2007, 12:06 AM
david carr and our 2nd round for briggs...........?

i know we dont have the money, but i wish we did, 10 bucks says the 49ers get him

He wants to be the man and with D Ryans here he will not be the man. I do understand why he is upset. If he gets hurt next year he is just flat out FUBAR. He wants the security of a long term deal, if you can a long term deal in the NFL security.

gtexan02
03-13-2007, 12:18 AM
What a whiner.

If players were going to complain this much about the franchise tags, why did they allow them to be instituted?

You are being paid higher than all but the 2 highest paid players at your position. Thats enough money to last a lifetime

Titan "Tack" Fan
03-13-2007, 12:45 AM
7.9 million a year and hes complaining. Something is wrong with that picture.

TexanSam
03-13-2007, 12:48 AM
Man I feel for the guy. Kind of stupid when you don't even get a chance to test yourself in the open market. He deserves to make as much money as he possible can. The Bears were stupid to use the tag on him, knowing he'd only make $7.9 million

:sarcasm:

mexican_texan
03-13-2007, 12:51 AM
It has more to do with the FO. The players badmouth them, and others around the league lost a great deal of respect when the NFL had to step in to give Lovie Smith a fair deal.

hot pickle
03-13-2007, 12:55 AM
It has more to do with the FO. The players badmouth them, and others around the league lost a great deal of respect when the NFL had to step in to give Lovie Smith a fair deal.

and they were almost ready to fire him... crazy old men over there in chi town...

TwinSisters
03-13-2007, 07:56 AM
http://www.rosenhaussports.com/home.php

the man behind the deal.

Sounds like he even canned Facenda's voice for his promo reel.

Blake
03-13-2007, 09:36 AM
I would be mad too. But the players union shouldnt have agreed to let the owners use a fran/trans tag on players.

FA nobodies are getting 7.9 million, and you think he is going to be happy getting the same with no contract, and no big time signing bonus. I would have either signed him, or transition tagged him, that way its not impossible to get something in return for him.

GoPats
03-13-2007, 10:42 AM
I would be mad too. But the players union shouldnt have agreed to let the owners use a fran/trans tag on players.

That would be my point too. You agreed to the CBA, so honor it. If the NFLPA were a better organization, they'd have eliminated the franchise tag last year when they made the new labor deal.

htownfoozball
03-13-2007, 04:02 PM
trade greenwood and a 3rd for briggs? the bears have lost a lot of leverage the past week, so could this deal work?

El Tejano
03-13-2007, 04:05 PM
Lord please be merciful to those who are about to impose on this thread. Because you are a merciful God help them to be merciful to our fellow brothers who have ideas like this. It is not their fault it is the offseasons fault. I am in noways perfect so I won't point fingers. Just put it in everyone's heart to be merciful.

Amen!!!!

Texan_Bill
03-13-2007, 04:05 PM
I would think that if Chicago franchised him, they certainly would want way more than that....

htownfoozball
03-13-2007, 04:07 PM
well if he plans to sit out, then why would we give them more? they already traded jones and their 2nd just to move up in the 2nd...

mamoo
03-13-2007, 04:10 PM
I don't think the Texans have enough under the cap to do this. They will need some for their draft picks. I also don't think they want a 1 year rental who's looking for mega huge dollars.

infantrycak
03-13-2007, 04:12 PM
Queue the Budweiser Thank You Mr. Preposterous Trade Suggester Guy ad.

htownfoozball
03-13-2007, 04:12 PM
I don't think the Texans have enough under the cap to do this. They will need some for their draft picks. I also don't think they want a 1 year rental who's looking for mega huge dollars.

well we should be around $35 million under the cap next year

wrestler4life
03-13-2007, 04:13 PM
I know that he ig good, but why would we want a guy that is sitting out because he got tagged as a franchise player. Character, anyone?

jdm12
03-13-2007, 04:16 PM
I am not a capologist but the kind of deal he is looking for may push us over the edge. I am assuming you are looking to send David Chicago's way in return. Chicago is notorious for being cheap. Why do you think Briggs is leaving? With that being said, will they want David's contract as is? Probably not. If he did not restructure it the Texans may have to send cash their way as well.

The only other thing I am unsure about is the Rookie Pool money? Is that part of our current cap number or seperate?

If together, I can not imagine us making many more moves until some plays are released.

J

htownfoozball
03-13-2007, 04:21 PM
ill admit, it was not a well thought out trade, it was just a thought.

ThaShark316
03-13-2007, 04:25 PM

Wasnt that bad...it was just an idea just because lance wants to be dealt...

Big Ben Wallets
03-13-2007, 04:37 PM
Bears fan here. Word out of Chicago is they are looking for at least a 2nd round pick. However, we can't actively seek any trades, only wait for offers.

Morlon Greenwood and a 3rd is not going to do it.

At this point Briggs is no longer in our long term future. Meaning we want to trade him, but we won't give him away. Keeping him is only an option under the franchise tag, but a trade is preferred. If the Bears don't get a 2nd round pick or better they will just squat on his rights and call Rosenbag's bluff.

Lance Briggs obviously has some money difficulties, seeing as he's seeking out loans to pay his living expenses for the upcoming year. The Bears have the leverage here. If Briggs wants to sit out the season and make zilch dinero and try to come back in 2008 we'll tag him again.

At this point the simplest resolution would be Briggs and his agent doing the legwork on a trade whereupon the Bears get proper compensation (2nd round pick or better) and Briggs receives a suitable contract.

freedoggy77
03-13-2007, 04:40 PM
i think Carr, Greenwood and a 3rd MIGHT be a semi-good deal for the Bears. Even DC is better than Rex the Wreck.

SESupergenius
03-13-2007, 04:41 PM
Carr for Briggs? If indead Carr is a lameduck and Chicago might be looking for other QBs, I'd like that.

BleedTheBurntOrange
03-13-2007, 04:41 PM
the guy is whining over getting franchised but most importantly he wants to be the man and be the main LB and make more money than Urlacher

they wont do it he so he wants out

talent wise hes great but i dont want whiny mcwhinerson on our team

threetoedpete
03-13-2007, 04:47 PM
Bears fan here. Word out of Chicago is they are looking for at least a 2nd round pick. However, we can't actively seek any trades, only wait for offers.

Morlon Greenwood and a 3rd is not going to do it.

At this point Briggs is no longer in our long term future. Meaning we want to trade him, but we won't give him away. Keeping him is only an option under the franchise tag, but a trade is preferred. If the Bears don't get a 2nd round pick or better they will just squat on his rights and call Rosenbag's bluff.

Lance Briggs obviously has some money difficulties, seeing as he's seeking out loans to pay his living expenses for the upcoming year. The Bears have the leverage here. If Briggs wants to sit out the season and make zilch dinero and try to come back in 2008 we'll tag him again.

At this point the simplest resolution would be Briggs and his agent doing the legwork on a trade whereupon the Bears get proper compensation (2nd round pick or better) and Briggs receives a suitable contract.

tick tock, tick tock.

rep your way very funny.

htownfoozball
03-13-2007, 04:49 PM
trade back with GB and get their 1st and 2nd. Trade the extra 2nd pick with greenwood for briggs. we save a little money on the 1st rounder. i know its not as easy as that, but its a start.

michaelm
03-13-2007, 05:12 PM

I immediately had the tune stuck in my head when I read the OP...

CHARLIEADAMSFAN
03-13-2007, 05:12 PM
Briggs is only traded for 2 1st round picks thats what they said on ESPN

ud be a major stoner to do that deal

Hervoyel
03-13-2007, 05:57 PM
Briggs is only traded for 2 1st round picks thats what they said on ESPN

ud be a major stoner to do that deal

If that's the case then I have a better chance of playing LB for the Texans than he does. That deal is arriving in Houston one year late (thankfully) because Charlie ain't here to sign off on it.

eriadoc
03-14-2007, 11:13 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6562918

During the phone call, another interesting reason for leaving arose. Briggs, who is extremely close with the Bears' star Brian Urlacher, wants to run his own show somewhere and knows it can't happen with No. 54 manning the middle.

"I've talked to Brian about it," said Briggs. "I'm a competitor and I want the same thing he has. I've learned a lot from Brian as a player and a leader and I eventually want to be 'the man' somewhere. I want to be like him and have everything put on me too. Obviously I'll never be able to do that there.

I think we have our MLB of the future here as well. If he has the attitude of wanting to walk in being the leading man, he's taking teams off his potential employer list, it would seem.

Trapped
03-14-2007, 01:08 PM
getting loans and stuff?? dang, for a pro bowl linebacker 2 years running i would be mad too that im living this way.

713boy
03-15-2007, 01:45 PM
whats up with lance briggs not staying in chi-town. if we want to bolster our D more, what better way than to sign this guy who could definately comment our already Defensive rookie of the year and our soon to be monster at DE #90.

threetoedpete
03-15-2007, 02:06 PM
Well if i got this correct...they franchised him @ 7.2 million. But becuase it is only a one year deal and not a long term deal...he's threatening to hold out next season.

First question is...where are you going to get the forty-nine million from to sign him ?

The second question is...if he's balking at 7.2 million what makes you think that next year he want hold the/a club again when he figures he didn't get enough of a up front bonus. I.E., where do his demands end ? Will he ever be satisfied ?

Gonna cost you a pair of high picks I believe if you go get him. Plus the money. He's goood but that good ?

CoachJim
03-15-2007, 02:12 PM
The second question is...if he's balking at 7.2 million what makes you think that next year he want hold the/a club again when he figures he didn't get enbough of a up front bonus. I.E., where does his demands end. Will he ever be satisfied ? Gonna cost you a pair of high picks I believe if you go get him.

I can't believe Imma bout to say this but here goes:

I don't think hes balking so much at the $$ as he is being back with the Bears ... from how I understand it, hes tired of being in the shadow of one Brian Urlacher ... He wants his own gig (defense) to be the face of.

Somebody call the fire dept. for me, I think Imma bout to spontaneously combust from the flames ... :hides: