PDA

View Full Version : Trade Idea: Cedric Benson for No. 8 Pick

Big Ben Wallets
03-12-2007, 05:12 PM
Hello Bears fan again. The Bears board is pretty lame right about now, considering we have a low 1st round pick. So I've been checking out other teams boards lately...

What do you guys think about trading the No. 8 overall pick for Cedric Benson? I'm posing this question because the Bears board is split 50:50 on whether Benson is a legit big-time back or just another chump. I personally think Ced has a huge upside, but my fellow Bears fans would rather have kept Thomas Jones. Since you guys watch Texas football and know more about Cedric, I'll pose this question for debate.

So whatcha think? Ahman Green is definitely not a long-term answer... so how would you feel about bringing home one of Midland's finest? Would you do this trade, or take your chances in this year's draft? Sorry btw if this is in the wrong forum.

real
03-12-2007, 05:13 PM
not no, but he!! no.

gtexan02
03-12-2007, 05:14 PM
As a general rule, "experienced" backs go for less in trade market than any other position. You'd have been better off trading him when he was drafted

kiwitexansfan
03-12-2007, 05:15 PM
:joker:

CRAZY!!!!

No way do we part with #8 for Benson. If you guys aren't sold on him no way is he worth the 8 pick.

Green may not be the long term answer but we have a (long) shot at AD and there are people around here that swear that Chris Taylor is the second coming.

We have bigger fish to fry than RB in this years draft and that #8 is vital to the future of the team.

Big Ben Wallets
03-12-2007, 05:25 PM
I personally think Cedric Benson would excel in a zone blocking system. He's a one cut back with enough moves to lose defenders and doesn't dance around in the backfield.

The Bears are using him all wrong, just ramming him up the middle into the teeth of the defense like a battering ram. Benson is 5-11 220lbs, way too small to be doing that full time.

I like Benson, but I think he's the wrong fit for our system. We need a Jerome Bettis type for our power running game. If he played in the Texans system, I think he could stay healthy and put up 1,800 yards a season. He runs North-South as well as anyone in the league.

TEXANS84
03-12-2007, 05:28 PM
You guys should have gotten rid of Benson before you did Jones.

David's Busted Carr
03-12-2007, 05:29 PM
So you guys draft Benson #4 overall 2 years ago. He's had attitude and worth ethic problems every since and couldn't even beat out journeyman RB Thomas Jones for the starting gig.

And now you think he's worth the #8 overall pick this year?

No offense man, but you are a :joker:

thunderkyss
03-12-2007, 05:30 PM
How 'bout I'll give you David Carr... which Technically is like a first round pick... a #1 overall even, for Cedric Straight up.

Seems pretty fair to me.... you get a QB who hasn't done anything in the NFL, but has all the tools to excell in the right system.

We get a RB who hasn't done anything in the NFL, but has all the tools to excell in the right system.

Blu
You can keep him!! <ducking thrown bottles from TSippers>

real
How 'bout I'll give you David Carr... which Technically is like a first round pick... a #1 overall even, for Cedric Straight up.

Seems pretty fair to me.... you get a QB who hasn't done anything in the NFL, but has all the tools to excell in the right system.

We get a RB who hasn't done anything in the NFL, but has all the tools to excell in the right system.

SOLD!

Ole Miss Texan
03-12-2007, 05:32 PM
Hello Bears fan again. The Bears board is pretty lame right about now, considering we have a low 1st round pick. So I've been checking out other teams boards lately...

What do you guys think about trading the No. 8 overall pick for Cedric Benson? I'm posing this question because the Bears board is split 50:50 on whether Benson is a legit big-time back or just another chump. I personally think Ced has a huge upside, but my fellow Bears fans would rather have kept Thomas Jones. Since you guys watch Texas football and know more about Cedric, I'll pose this question for debate.

So whatcha think? Ahman Green is definitely not a long-term answer... so how would you feel about bringing home one of Midland's finest? Would you do this trade, or take your chances in this year's draft? Sorry btw if this is in the wrong forum.

Yes let's give you our #8 overall pick for somebody you're not sure if is your long term back.

Give us Muhammad, Benson, and a 3rd round pick next year and we may have a deal.

Bubbajwp
03-12-2007, 05:33 PM
Maybe a fourth round pick for benson no more.

thunderkyss
03-12-2007, 05:35 PM
Yes let's give you our #8 overall pick for somebody you're not sure if is your long term back.

Give us Muhammad, Benson, and a 3rd round pick next year and we may have a deal.

Let them keep Muhammad... Give us Berrian, Vasher, Benson, and next years 2nd & 3rd for our #8, and David Carr.

The Pencil Neck
I've really been surprised about how your players all seem to want Jones while your FO seems to be firmly behind Benson. I think Benson could be a monster in the right system but... I don't think he's right for you guys. Which is why I find your FO stance so confusing.

With that said, I don't think Benson is worth a first rounder let alone a top 10 first rounder. Right now, I've got fears about his work ethic and his durability. I think even a 2nd rounder would be a stretch although you might find some people who'd go for it. Especially the UT fans.

Texan_Bill
LOL... I have a buddy of mine that lives in Chicago, about half way through the season had suggested a straight up trade: Carr for Benson... I told him then I would have jumped all over it.... At that time Carr's stats (smoke and mirrors - or whatever) looked decent and his (my friend's) perception was that Carr was having a good season, and Grossman couldn't get them thought the first round of the play-offs....

Lessons for him: a) Sometimes it is better to stand pat.... b) be carefull for what you wish for...

RTP2110
03-12-2007, 05:40 PM
How about Benson for the #8 pick.....of the 3rd round

Big Ben Wallets
03-12-2007, 05:45 PM
So you guys draft Benson #4 overall 2 years ago. He's had attitude and worth ethic problems every since and couldn't even beat out journeyman RB Thomas Jones for the starting gig.

And now you think he's worth the #8 overall pick this year?

No offense man, but you are a :joker:

Well I was just posting it hypothetically...considering this year's running back crop is pretty weak. The reason I brought it up is because the Texans signed Ahman Green for 4yrs $23M. I know for a fact Ahman, at age 30, is out of gas. His greatest season was three years ago (1,800 yds 20+ TDs) when Brett Favre could still play, the Packers had Javon Walker and Donald Driver and the Green Bay line was stacked (Clifton, Wahle, Flanagan, Rivera, Tauscher). They had the best line in the league.

I know you guys passed on Reggie Bush last year because Domanick Williams looked like a franchise-back before the injury, but Adrian Peterson is not going to last until the 8th pick. There's also no offensive lineman really worth the 8th pick, unless Joe Thomas falls. Soooo with that in mind....

Considering that running back was a pressing need going into the off-season, do you guys think if the Texans traded their 8th pick for Benson, and invested some of that Ahman Green money into Eric Steinbach or Derrick Dockery... would they be better off? Houston would have a potential 1,800 yard running back and an improved O-Line. That's a pretty inviting situation for any new QB they decide to bring in right? Well at least its better than Ahman Green and Levi Brown in my mind.

real
03-12-2007, 05:47 PM
Any way you slice it, Benson for the 8th overall is a terrible deal for us.

Texan_Bill
03-12-2007, 05:52 PM
You can keep him!! <ducking thrown bottles from TSippers>

Blu,

You're on your own today. I have already taken an unnecessary Arse whoopin' this morning. :hides:

prostock101
03-12-2007, 05:54 PM
No, No, and No

thunderkyss
03-12-2007, 05:54 PM
Any way you slice it, Benson for the 8th overall is a terrible deal for us.

It would be terrible for anyone..... looking back on his career, people are wondering why Chicago used a 4th on him... then with the headache he's caused... to even think of getting a 1st rounder(much less a top 10 pick) is borderline institutional.

No offense Big Ben... But we're not as stupid as we look.

El Amigo Invisible
03-12-2007, 05:56 PM
We will take him for a forth or fifth rounder(Too many injuries) plus WE NEED THIS DRAFT PICK if not a higher one.:wild:

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
03-12-2007, 06:03 PM
How about the #8 pick for Devin Hester, Nathan Vasher, Bernard Berrian, Cedric Benson and Tommie Harris. We'll even throw in a 2008 6th round pick.

TexansSB07
03-12-2007, 06:06 PM

are you smoking same thing Cedric Benson does or what

whiskeyrbl
03-12-2007, 06:11 PM
Briggs, Benson and Vasher for Carr and ouR#39

Big Ben Wallets
03-12-2007, 06:25 PM
Nope not smoking anything. I guess I just can't understand how a running back who was a legend in high-school and an All-American in college could crap out in the pros. Benson is one of the top three running backs to ever come out of the state of Texas in terms of production.

If I were running the Texans (and I'm sure we all wish we could) I would have offered Jerry Angelo the No. 8 pick for Benson. Solves the RB dilemma. Then I would trade David Carr for Randy Moss straight up. Solves the 2nd WR need. Then I would have signed an OT/OG like Eric Steinbach with the Ahman Green money. Then I would draft Drew Stanton in the 2nd round.

At which point you would have Stanton taking the snap, play-faking to Cedric Benson, who because of his one-cut breakway threat in the ZBS has to be respected, thereby freezing the defense, buy time behind the pass-blocking of franchise left-tackle Eric Steinbach, who they got with Ahman Green money, then pump-faking to Andre Johson causing the safety to bite, and launching a bomb to Randy Moss on single-coverage for a touch down.

aproberts03
03-12-2007, 06:25 PM
maybe trade a late round pick for him but def not 8th pick

whiskeyrbl
03-12-2007, 06:28 PM
[QUOTE=Big Ben Wallets;624800]Nope not smoking anything. I guess I just can't understand how a running back who was a legend in high-school and an All-American in college could crap out in the pros.

See Ron Dayne.

South Texan
03-12-2007, 06:29 PM
And EVERYONE knows the Texans will pick Landy at #8!!!

I am pretty sure the Front Office has a plan that doesn't include a RB high in the draft, or they wouldn't have spent the money for one in FA.

The Dream
03-12-2007, 06:31 PM
I'm sure this answer has already been given out, but just in case it hasn't....hell no....

TwinSisters
03-12-2007, 07:46 PM
Benson is not healthy enough to warrant a trade.

Texans Horror
03-12-2007, 07:50 PM
One of the issues with Benson is the baggage he brings along, and traditionally, the Texans aren't big on baggage. He had a run-in or two with the law while at UT, and as has been said repeatedly, there are real worth ethics concerns with Benson.

Dominic Williams has a similar work ethic question. (I'm not judging - just saying there is an issue there.)

There is another point to be made, and that is that the Broncos and Kubiak never put much stock in high-round, high-profile running backs like Benson. (If it weren't for Mike Sherman being the offensive coordinator, I'm sure Green wouldn't have come here.)

Although Cedric makes a great cut, and put some fantastic yards while playing for Texas, I don't think when all those factors are considered that he would make a good trade - any trade.

Thanks for stopping by, though. You're not the first to ask about previous Longhorns. At the first of the offseason, I remember at least one or two "trade for Ricky!" scenarios being proposed. In fact, if you want to have some fun, check out the insipid conspiracy theory thread on Texans not drafting from Texas (http://forums.houstontexans.com/showthread.php?t=36232)...

thunderkyss
03-12-2007, 11:12 PM
Nope not smoking anything. I guess I just can't understand how a running back who was a legend in high-school and an All-American in college could crap out in the pros. Benson is one of the top three running backs to ever come out of the state of Texas in terms of production.

If I were running the Texans (and I'm sure we all wish we could) I would have offered Jerry Angelo the No. 8 pick for Benson. Solves the RB dilemma. Then I would trade David Carr for Randy Moss straight up. Solves the 2nd WR need. Then I would have signed an OT/OG like Eric Steinbach with the Ahman Green money. Then I would draft Drew Stanton in the 2nd round.

At which point you would have Stanton taking the snap, play-faking to Cedric Benson, who because of his one-cut breakway threat in the ZBS has to be respected, thereby freezing the defense, buy time behind the pass-blocking of franchise left-tackle Eric Steinbach, who they got with Ahman Green money, then pump-faking to Andre Johson causing the safety to bite, and launching a bomb to Randy Moss on single-coverage for a touch down.

Well, what happened to Ricky Williams?? It's not all about talent. I've seen less talented RBs than Ricky & Cedric have much better careers.

Now onto this signing Steinbach. Have you ever heard the Real Men of Genius "Mr. Preposterous Trade Suggester " radio commercial?? Well that's what you sound like right now.

On avg, The Browns are going to be paying Mr. Steinbach $7million for the next seven years. What's worse than that, he's going to be a $7million cap hit for the next seven years(on avg). We don't have that kind of money. We have no cap space right now, because of a bunch of contracts just like that one, that didn't work out so well for us.

& the Browns should feel a little snake-bitten already, since that is similar to the deal they gave LeCharles Bentley last year, who didn't play a down(kinda like our Toni Bosselli) after getting hurt in Training Camp, and is already out for the '07 season because of a surgery he has to take this offseason.

We got Ahman Green for $5million/yr over the next 4 years. his contract is very Texans friendly, and will not cause a serious cap hit if he's released two years from now.

Randy Moss won't ever be a Texan, no matter how much I'd like it.

Now answer this question.

Would you give us your 1st round pick for David Carr straight up?? Think about it, with the right system, David could be a very good QB. It would solve your QB problem...

If you answered no(and you answered no if you're halfway intelligent) the same reasoning applies to our 1st round, and Cedric Benson.

bigsack
03-13-2007, 04:17 PM
Like I said before its a conspiracy against UT. I remember watching Bucky Richardson play with the Oilers, the least they could do is give me a third string WR to watch. But would I trade the No. 8 overall for Benson. No. But I do like the Carr for Moss idea. To bad we are too late.

Benson is a hoss. He moves the pile big time. He is a power back. Just not worth a #8 overall.

Please_Evolve
03-14-2007, 12:58 PM
I've been thinking about this a while actually. I'll pass on the Benson trade.

but A healthy Mike Brown, Nathan Vasher, and we swap first rounders and you got yourself a deal.

Tulip
03-14-2007, 02:37 PM
Now onto this signing Steinbach. Have you ever heard the Real Men of Genius "Mr. Preposterous Trade Suggester " radio commercial?? Well that's what you sound like right now.

You propose with a straight face to trade your 11th and 12th man for a 6-time all-star? I don't like commercials, but I love that one.

Back to the original post - the answer is no. I'd trade #8 the player, but not #8 the pick.

Aiden
03-14-2007, 02:56 PM

No way since AP might slip to 8th overall. Not likely but with that chance I would rather keep the 8th pick. Thanks but No Thanks.

Please_Evolve
03-14-2007, 03:55 PM
No way since AP might slip to 8th overall. Not likely but with that chance I would rather keep the 8th pick. Thanks but No Thanks.

No way he slips there. Pencil him in at #3 Cleveland. I think our options at 8 are between whomever drops between Russell and Quinn. I prefer Quinn. Levi Brown...oh how i can dream of a NFL ready LT. Laron Landry our secondary needs help bad and i think we'd get better value in drafting a CB in the second...deep class. Jamaal Anderson would give us bookend DEs. If Spencer came back healthy we'd be sitting good with this scenario as well..bookend Ts and DE.

I know it's been said before and in the past it's been botched but we're ina good position this draft. I'd rather just sit on the 8 spot and see what comes to us.