PDA

View Full Version : Is CBS, Fox, NBC and ESPN losing money?

gjmac2
03-12-2007, 04:35 PM
I just thought I would get opinions here. I had an arguement with a friend of mine, who claims that the networks are not losing money on the NFL contract. I think the networks are losing money. Anyone out there have a opinion or know for a fact that the networks are losing money?

TEXANS84
03-12-2007, 04:45 PM
NFL is the most popular sport in the nation. There is no way that they are losing money.

Mr. White
03-12-2007, 04:51 PM
Next time you watch an NFL game, take note of how often commercials come on. The networks get paid for every time that someone advertises.

No way that they're losing money.

mexican_texan
03-12-2007, 04:52 PM
ESPN is, for a fact, losing money, but the other networks are able to plug their own shows and any lost money could be seen as simply advertising costs.

infantrycak
03-12-2007, 04:57 PM
They're losing tons of money--that's why they keep renewing their deals for more and more money.

Koolaid Time
03-12-2007, 05:00 PM
They're losing tons of money--that's why they keep renewing their deals for more and more money.

Drayton McLane claims he is losing money every year as well...

It boils down to "creative accounting". ESPN/Cap Cities/ABC/Disney is well known for its accounting practices..

Double Barrel
03-12-2007, 05:50 PM
I've read that the cost of producing NFL games, with the amount of equipment and personel X multiple games, costs the networks more than they make in advertising revenue (especially when you factor in the amounts they are paying the NFL for those rights). But the tie-in to other shows is what makes it an appealing deal.

Of course, it could be chaulked up to creative accounting, but I just remember reading this in the past.