PDA

View Full Version : Megan Manfull Article

mexican_texan
03-12-2007, 12:32 PM
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=186564

Highlights:

It also ensures that the team will not use their first-round draft pick on an offensive lineman. If Spencer is indeed healthy enough to play left tackle this season

In addition, the signing of RB Ahman Green means the Texans likely will not take a running back such as Marshawn Lynch at No. 8. However, if Adrian Peterson actually fell to No. 8 in the draft, the Texans wouldn't pass up on him. The organization believes he is a franchise back

Von Hutchins is a young player the Texans believe could play an integral role in the secondary in future seasons. He played cornerback last season but may be given a chance to move to free safety this season, a position he excelled at during part of his career at Mississippi and an area of need for the Texans. He is a good athlete who could make major strides in the offseason. He is good at making receivers change their routes but could work on defending the run and being a more physical tackler.

Carr still is expected to be dealt to another team, but Rosenfels looks as if he may become Carr's immediate replacement. Rosenfels looked at ease in Kubiak's offense in limited action last season and could be a suitable starter until a rookie is given a season or two to develop

Mr. White
03-12-2007, 12:41 PM
Which round is Von Hutchins expected to go in? I haven't seen him.

***edit***

nevermind :bag:http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/492962

TexansSB07
03-12-2007, 01:16 PM
Megan Manfull's usual excellent well-thought out article, don't suppose we can transplant part of her DNA and brains to Justice/McClain do you??

I think we will use draft to find RB (forgive me Coach Royal) Adrian Peterson, DL help and a future QB:redtowel:

wrestler4life
03-12-2007, 01:17 PM
Thanks for that. I cannot get anything from the sight, so your info was helpful.
I still think that we should take a defensive player round 1. They can make a more immediate impact than someone who would just share reps with a veteran that is going to be given the majority of the snaps.

Maddict5
03-12-2007, 01:21 PM
hmmm..the von hutchins part was interesting- if you were to believe her it looks like we might be going d-line in the first again...which is ok by me

mexican_texan
03-12-2007, 01:25 PM
hmmm..the von hutchins part was interesting- if you were to believe her it looks like we might be going d-line in the first again...which is ok by me
She has us taking Quinn at 8 and Quentin Moses with the 7th pick in the 2nd round.

Dallas_Texan
03-12-2007, 01:37 PM

Yeah, I guess that article about Hutchins really knocks the Landry/Nelson debate to the curb. I would still expect a FS to be taken in the third or fourth round though.

nunusguy
03-12-2007, 01:39 PM
Megan Manfull's usual excellent well-thought out article, don't suppose we can transplant part of her DNA and brains to Justice/McClain do you??

I dunno, but I was listening to poor ole JM on SR 610 this morning, and I
actually think his memory is getting worse, if that's poosible ?
But he's pretty entertaining sometimes when he's regurgitating anecdotal info
and various stories about sports individuals he's known and written about.

Texan_Bill
03-12-2007, 01:41 PM
I dunno, but I was listening to poor ole JM on SR 610 this morning, and I
actually think his memory is getting worse, if that's poosible ?
But he's pretty entertaining sometimes when he's regurgitating anecdotal info
and various stories about sports individuals he's known and written about.

JM does that by design. He cant dazzle us with brilliance, so he baffles us with BS.

Do you see the live presser last week, where someone got on JM??

alphajoker
03-12-2007, 01:44 PM
JM does that by design. He cant dazzle us with brilliance, so he baffles us with BS.

Do you see the live presser last week, where someone got on JM??

I missed it...you got a link?

Texan_Bill
03-12-2007, 01:51 PM
I missed it...you got a link?

I'm not sure where they move it to, once its over and people have commented on them, but I know they archive somewhere on the main site. I'll see if I can find it....

Texan_Bill
03-12-2007, 01:55 PM
I think it was Clark's presser... http://www.houstontexans.com/texans_tv/?section=Multimedia

They edited out the beginning part whenever they were waiting on the player to come in... There was an F** bomb and someone saying something about "You told us VInce Young was going to be a Texan" (or something along those lines).

The Pencil Neck
03-12-2007, 02:04 PM
Yeah, I guess that article about Hutchins really knocks the Landry/Nelson debate to the curb. I would still expect a FS to be taken in the third or fourth round though.

At this point in the season, treat everything as a smokescreen.

These are are not the draft picks we want... <wave hand>... our QB is great... <wave both hands> ... there's no dissension in our locker room... we're looking at the BPA... every position is a need position... your fly is open... you haven't heard a word I said... <wave hands>

:aikido:

Pantherstang84
03-12-2007, 02:09 PM
She has us taking Quinn at 8 and Quentin Moses with the 7th pick in the 2nd round.

I hate to break to you Quinn fans. From what I have been reading, Cleveland will take him at 3.

We just need to give Kerry Collins a call.

El Tejano
03-12-2007, 02:10 PM
Collins signed with the Titans for another year.

Pantherstang84
03-12-2007, 02:12 PM
Collins signed with the Titans for another year.

Yeah but he can start in Houston. We can trade Carr straight up for him.

03-12-2007, 02:13 PM

what would make you think that?... Hutchins is a CB, not a safety

Second Honeymoon
03-12-2007, 02:16 PM
Quentin Moses in the 2nd Round would be a coup. We would have to get lucky like last year when DeMeco fell to us. I would be REALLY surprised if he is there in the 2nd Round. Dude has sick athletic ability and likes to hit people. He didnt have a good combine and that could work to our benefit. As teams get to interview him and look at his body of work and his athletic ability (on film not on a track) he will come back up the draft boad. He is great coming off the edge and coming thru on stunts. Mock drafts during the college season had him as a top 10-15 pick just like many mock drafts had DeMeco as a Top 10 pick before his final year at Alabama.

Quinn/Adams/Branch in 1st Round
Quentin Moses OLB/DE in 2nd Round
Daymeion Hughes CB in 3rd Round

that would be an insane draft and is quite possible due to the fact that Moses and Hughes didnt have great combines.
They could fall to us in both cases and they would come in with chips on their shoulder. Even Quinn would come into the league with a bit of a chip on his shoulder if he fell to #8. Good value all around.

HuttoKarl
03-12-2007, 02:17 PM

Or it's a smokescreen. There are some very nice FS's in this draft though...Landry, Nelson, Merriwether and a few others could mean that we can look somewhere else in the first as well. Pretty deep draft for DB's and WR's. Maybe we get a DE and move Weaver between DE and DT in case some of these vets don't cut the mustard.

painekiller
03-12-2007, 02:19 PM

I see the whole Quinn thing as a smokescreen. I think it is designed to push interest in people to trade for our pick. But if Kubiak really drafts him than I will have to support it, I guess.

alphajoker
03-12-2007, 02:19 PM
I think it was Clark's presser... http://www.houstontexans.com/texans_tv/?section=Multimedia

They edited out the beginning part whenever they were waiting on the player to come in... There was an F** bomb and someone saying something about "You told us VInce Young was going to be a Texan" (or something along those lines).

Cool...thanks man!

painekiller
03-12-2007, 02:21 PM

And Sage is better than Collins at this point in time. So whats your point?

Second Honeymoon
03-12-2007, 02:28 PM
I hate to break to you Quinn fans. From what I have been reading, Cleveland will take him at 3.

If Cleveland took Quinn that would be a good thing. A few things have to happen for the Texans to get AP or Thomas in the 1st Round. That is one of them. It also improves the Texans stance on David Carr. It improves his value around the league. He is already the 2nd best QB prospect on the trading block....and #1 Trent Green would require a much higher draft pick, more money, and is older.

Smith's position on keeping Carr till the price is right may just end up paying off in the long run. A lot of teams have less than desirable QB situations.

browns, skins, oakland, minnesota all have bad situations at QB
detroit, and chicago both want to improve at the position and could be included

if you include Carr there are only 4 options at QB for any GM that wants to improve...draft quinn, draft russell, give up multiple picks for Green, give up a pick for Carr

with 7 teams needing a new look at QB there are only 4 options that I feel a GM could sell to the public and owner...3 left out in the cold bidding against each other..we just dont want to be one of the teams trying to outbid another (thus no moving up for a QB in the 1st Round)

cj5776
03-12-2007, 02:50 PM

Putting together everything I have heard, the bottom line is the team wants to take the best player available, but... there is a huge hole at qb and wr (assuming get Carr gets traded). Unless Carr getting traded is part of moving up, that will not hapen since they do not want to let go of drafts choices. So unless AP falls to them they want to go defense, GAdams, Oakeye, Luandry, Branch, Anderson, since those are the best players available. But if they do not have QB and Wr depth they will want to go with Quinn or Ginn.

In the second it looks like same story second verse, the best players on the board probably will be DE Johnson and FS Meriweather, but the team might be forced to take QB Kolb or one the many WRs... Allison, Gonzalez, Smith Davis, Meachum

thunderkyss
03-12-2007, 03:21 PM
browns, skins, oakland, minnesota all have bad situations at QB
detroit, and chicago both want to improve at the position and could be included

Just because... why so down on Frye?? Statwise after two years, he looks as good as Carr did after year two. & watching him play, I think he looks like a better prospect now, than David does.

SESupergenius
03-12-2007, 05:12 PM
You could have cut and pasted any of a number of articles by McClain and Justice, they would have looked exactly like this one. Nice little circle they got going on there. They share the same agenda and really aren't telling us facts, just opinions and what they WANT to see happen.

SamuraiSword
03-12-2007, 05:36 PM

So whatever we want they want......We wanted AP they wanted AP. We wanted Quinn they want Quinn......Man don't they ever have a mind of their own?

thunderkyss
03-12-2007, 05:37 PM
So whatever we want they want......We wanted AP they wanted AP. We wanted Quinn they want Quinn......Man don't they ever have a mind of their own?

Doesn't matter, we'll get one or the other. We're good.

texan_fan_8
03-12-2007, 05:42 PM

I wouldn't touch collins with a 50 ft poll. You think we have it so bad now. You all would be begging for Carr back ...

if he was good the Giants would still have 'm

Second Honeymoon
03-12-2007, 06:39 PM
Just because... why so down on Frye?? Statwise after two years, he looks as good as Carr did after year two. & watching him play, I think he looks like a better prospect now, than David does.

man, frye is pretty bad, i dont know.

thunderkyss
03-12-2007, 07:43 PM
man, frye is pretty bad, i dont know.

well, you were saying David was bad back then as well, so I guess it's a moot point.

But other people here are so high on David even after 5 years, but they'll say that Frye flat out sux.... I just don't get it.

2BCF
03-12-2007, 10:34 PM
well, you were saying David was bad back then as well, so I guess it's a moot point.

But other people here are so high on David even after 5 years, but they'll say that Frye flat out sux.... I just don't get it.

I honestly think most of the pro-davey posts are from friends, family and those who have a vested interest in the david carr gravy train.

Second Honeymoon
03-13-2007, 12:09 AM

david is not much better than Frye (although I do think he is) and when you consider Carr's salary, it actually makes David far less valuable to a team and its development.

Grid
03-13-2007, 12:13 AM
I honestly think most of the pro-davey posts are from friends, family and those who have a vested interest in the david carr gravy train.

eh.. outside the Texans community, people think we are off our rocker for wanting to get rid of Carr.

I dont think its an odd point of view.

rascous
03-13-2007, 12:42 AM
eh.. outside the Texans community, people think we are off our rocker for wanting to get rid of Carr.

Maybe it's because he is the QB they prefer to see there when we play them.

cj5776
03-13-2007, 01:03 AM
I am going to start a thread about celery and see how you turn it into a DC thread

2BCF
03-13-2007, 01:06 AM
I am going to start a thread about celery and see how you turn it into a DC thread
Celery, like DC, loses it's crispness after 5 long years. It becomes wilted and unwanted. :joker:

dirty steve
03-13-2007, 01:12 AM
I honestly think most of the pro-davey posts are from friends, family and those who have a vested interest in the david carr gravy train...and most anti-carr posters like you see him as the only reason for the teams failure to develop talent, depth, string together wins, and have cap problems. DC deserves some blame, just not as much as some choose to give him.

fyi--i think carr should be elsewhere in 2007, but i see getting another QB is just a small piece to fix what has gone wrong.

Ole Miss Texan
03-13-2007, 01:24 AM

Carr puts celery in the Bloody Mary's he drinks every morning before a game.

Texan_Bill
03-13-2007, 10:06 AM

When DC orders supper, he asks for no celery in his salad.

petedy
03-13-2007, 12:25 PM
Carr puts celery in the Bloody Mary's he drinks every morning before a game.

You got him mixed up with Kerry Collins.

Second Honeymoon
03-13-2007, 12:31 PM

selective reader i see. so no one wants Carr but everyone thinks we are stupid for getting rid of him....whatever. Carr sucks.