PDA

View Full Version : Pats sign WR Stallworth

J_R
03-11-2007, 09:42 AM
"The Patriots continued their offseason spending spree, adding wide receiver Donte' Stallworth to their 2007 haul, a league source told ESPN.com's Michael Smith. Stallworth will sign a six-year contract. The deal is believed to be worth a little more that $30 million with close to $12 million guaranteed, the source told Smith."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2794615

gtexan02
03-11-2007, 09:51 AM
The patriots are so fickle.
First they won't pay Branch any money, even after his superbowl MVP performance.

Then they go out and pay big bucks to Stallworth, who has both behavior and injury issues?

I'm sure he'll turn into the next randy moss there, but I guess we'll see

03-11-2007, 10:02 AM
First they won't pay Branch any money, even after his superbowl MVP performance.

Then they go out and pay big bucks to Stallworth, who has both behavior and injury issues?

behavior issues?..

gtexan02
03-11-2007, 10:06 AM
He is reportedly in the league's substance abuse program and if he has one more violation, he will be suspended from 4(i think?) games

J_R
03-11-2007, 10:07 AM
I guess not really behavior issues but reports are he is in the substance abuse program?

"League and union officials are investigating a Philadelphia Inquirer report that Stallworth is in the NFL's substance-abuse program, sources from both parties told ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli.

Citing unnamed sources, the Philadelphia Inquirer reported Monday that Stallworth is a participant in the league program, and that he could be subject to suspension if he suffered a repeat violation of its conditions. The newspaper also reported that a breach of the program's confidentiality agreement can warrant a league fine, and NFL and NFL Players Association officials began to seek out possible sources for the leak on Monday."

mancunian
03-11-2007, 10:13 AM

Branch was under contract and just wanted more money. The Pats would have talked but he decided to hold out.

Pats have been busy, they had reciever issues last year - they have now added 2, they needed speed at LB they signed Thomas, they needed depth at RB so they signed Sammy Morris.

I bet they take a safety in the draft plus my LB's.

Anyone else think that BB is getting for one last charge at a SB before leaving for a new challenge (NYG)? He's reportedly only got one year left on his contract and a SB would be a great way to leave the Pats.

TheRealJoker
03-11-2007, 10:31 AM
This is starting to get unfair for the Pats!!!

HoustonFrog
03-11-2007, 10:35 AM
This is starting to get unfair for the Pats!!!

Agree. They fall short, get peeved and reload.

stingray
03-11-2007, 11:00 AM
I don't get it, they trade branch away and sign Stallworth. Branch is better and he doesn't get hurt as much as stallworth. Stall worth is always hurt. He seems to miss at least 6 games a year. I know they got a first rounder out of Branch, but Branch was already proven as WR with Brady. Maybe they NOW realize that Brady can't do it alone.

HoustonFrog
03-11-2007, 11:16 AM
I don't get it, they trade branch away and sign Stallworth. Branch is better and he doesn't get hurt as much as stallworth. Stall worth is always hurt. He seems to miss at least 6 games a year. I know they got a first rounder out of Branch, but Branch was already proven as WR with Brady. Maybe they NOW realize that Brady can't do it alone.

The only thing I can think of is that they had been successful in most money cutting moves they made. However, Reche "the EYES" Caldwell dropped a couple of game changing passes in the Colts game and maybe they realized that they truely didn't have a game breaker.

BleedTheBurntOrange
03-11-2007, 12:23 PM
The Patriots continued their offseason spending spree, adding wide receiver Donte' Stallworth to their 2007 haul, league sources told ESPN.com.

The deal -- negotiated by agent Drew Rosenhaus, who concluded a frenetic week in free agency by constructing a contract that met the needs of all parties -- can be as brief as one season or as lengthy as six. But for the Patriots to retain Stallworth beyond the 2007 season, a year in which he will make $3.6 million in bonuses and salary, New England will have to make a significant investment.

Stallworth will receive an initial signing bonus of $1 million, a roster bonus of $1.6 million and a $300,000 workout bonus, to go along with his 2007 base salary of $700,000. That totals $3.6 million for the coming season.

It's after the 2007 season, however, when the really big money kicks in.

For the Patriots to retain Stallworth for the 2008 season, they must pay him an option bonus of $6 million by Feb. 25, 2008. There is a subsequent roster bonus of $2 million due on March 1, a second roster bonus of $1.6 million based on playing time, a base salary of $1 million and a $400,000 workout bonus. That totals an exorbitant $11 million for 2008, or a two-year total of $14.6 million.

To keep Stallworth for 2009, the Patriots would have to pay another option bonus, this one of $2 million, by Feb. 25 of that year. In terms of bonuses and base salary, the 2009 season would be worth $5 million to Stallworth, for a three-year total of $19.6 million.

The final three seasons of the contract all include workout bonuses of $500,000 each and base salaries of $4 million each. The maximum value of the contract, if the Patriots were to keep Stallworth for all six years, is $33.1 million.

The rationale behind the structure: Stallworth has the opportunity to register a huge season in 2007, playing with quarterback Tom Brady, and on a team that figures to be a Super Bowl contender. And after the 2007 campaign, the Patriots will have to dig deep to retain him, dramatically rework his contract, or allow him to go back into the free agent market. It was a creative concept developed by Rosenhaus, one accepted by several of the teams bidding for Stallworth, to maximize his client's earning potential. At the same time, it provides New England a big-play threat for at least one season, with the capacity to retain Stallworth beyond that, if desired.

Stallworth, who played last season in Philadelphia after being acquired from the New Orleans Saints, also was being courted by the Eagles, Dolphins and Titans.

Stallworth, 28, had 38 catches for 725 yards and five touchdowns for the Eagles in 2006. A first-round choice of the Saints in the 2002 draft, he has 233 career receptions for 3,516 yards and 28 touchdowns in 68 games, including 44 starts.

League and union officials are investigating a Philadelphia Inquirer report that Stallworth is in the NFL's substance-abuse program, sources from both parties told ESPN.com.

Citing unnamed sources, the Philadelphia Inquirer reported Monday that Stallworth is a participant in the league program, and that he could be subject to suspension if he suffered a repeat violation of its conditions. The newspaper also reported that a breach of the program's confidentiality agreement can warrant a league fine, and NFL and NFL Players Association officials began to seek out possible sources for the leak on Monday.

The Patriots have been busy this offseason, adding coveted linebacker Adalius Thomas, ranked No. 2 on ESPN.com's list of free agents, as well as Dolphins kick returner/receiver Wes Welker, tight end Kyle Brady and backup running back Sammy Morris.

very interesting contract layout

TLove21
03-11-2007, 03:55 PM
hes getting older, injury prone, and has some off feild issues.....not very attractive

kastofsna
03-11-2007, 04:55 PM
good signing by the patriots. and by that i mean it's good for miami.

rmartin65
03-11-2007, 04:57 PM
Anybody else think Brady had some words with management after last season?

run-david-run
03-11-2007, 04:58 PM

why? if he dosnt work out, just cut him after the first year...

michaelm
03-11-2007, 11:30 PM

Let's discuss an avatar bet...

I say Stallworth has a better season than any receiver on the Dolphins next season.
If you agree, we just have to agree to the terms of the bet, and establish a definition of "better"...

kastofsna
03-12-2007, 01:42 AM
Let's discuss an avatar bet...

I say Stallworth has a better season than any receiver on the Dolphins next season.
If you agree, we just have to agree to the terms of the bet, and establish a definition of "better"...
i trust miami's receivers to have a good season about as much as i trust vince young to be able to spell "Tennessee" correctly.

GoPats
03-12-2007, 08:21 AM
When I first heard about this I was surprised, but the "out" option after year one makes it much more digestable. Best of both worlds for the Pats... if he flops, they cut him loose with no baggage, and if he finally lives up to his potential they got a quality WR for nothing.

Belichick knows the end is probably no more than 2-4 years out. He's going to have to load up now (instead of through the draft) if he wants to win again.

Maddict5
03-12-2007, 08:25 AM

a good pickup imo

hmmm i dont agree with any of ye who think pats are stupid for trading branch.... they got a 1st rounder for him ( hasnt done much in seattle yet)- any1 else think the pats robbed the hawks here..i mean jabar gaffney and reche caldwell looked good aswell last year.. imo branch isnt that good and brady made him look better (just as he did with david patten etc)

Please_Evolve
03-12-2007, 01:20 PM
To me this says the Pats are scared the division is catching up with them. The jets last year were biting at their heels and ithink Miami will be better next year too. Long as they get thier Line and QB woes fixed. Kast are they still banking on Culpepper being healthy next year?

On edit: yes the Pats totally fleeced Seattle last year. A #1 for an over acheiving receiver. Give me that EVERY time.

Mr teX
03-12-2007, 01:23 PM
The only thing I can think of is that they had been successful in most money cutting moves they made. However, Reche "the EYES" Caldwell dropped a couple of game changing passes in the Colts game and maybe they realized that they truely didn't have a game breaker.

What no faith in "the Gaff?"

kastofsna
03-12-2007, 01:38 PM
pats just signed WR Kelly Washington, too. they've added 3 this offseason.

gtexan02
03-12-2007, 02:03 PM
I wonder who they are targeting in the draft
I sort of picked them to take a look at Meacham late in the 1st

real
03-12-2007, 02:06 PM
I'm thinking the Patriots are going to be scary good next year.

Second Honeymoon
03-12-2007, 02:19 PM
similar signing to the Texans signing Green. Big contracts with little guaranteed money. It is good for both team and player but bad for fans who would like to see more continuity on rosters around the league.....oh and its great for the agents (no surprise Rosenhaus negotiated that deal) he knows how to handle damage control and get troubled players good contracts (see TO's deal last year)

kastofsna
03-12-2007, 02:39 PM
I'm thinking the Patriots are going to be scary good next year.
yeah, but that has nothing to do with the stallworth signing.

real
03-12-2007, 02:40 PM
yeah, but that has nothing to do with the stallworth signing.

I never said it did, though I can see why one would think that.

kastofsna
03-12-2007, 02:47 PM
this and the washington really signify miami's focus. they looked hard at both players. they clearly want speed at the WR position. think ted ginn, jr for miami's #9 pick.

CaptainPatriot
03-12-2007, 04:16 PM

You are forgetting that Branch was a holdout. He still had 1 year left on his contract. He was trying to strong arm the PATS! You also need to look at he contract more Closely of Stallworth. His 1st year is very cheap. If he doesn't work out the PATS will only be out 1.3 Million! Alot of insentives I think more contracts should be like his IMO!

CaptainPatriot
03-12-2007, 04:22 PM

I think Stallworth has played 1 more game than Branch and has more TD's than Branch. They both came out the same year

CaptainPatriot
03-12-2007, 04:25 PM
I wonder who they are targeting in the draft
I sort of picked them to take a look at Meacham late in the 1st

I don't think so. IMO they will go Safety,ILB or CB

GoPats
03-13-2007, 08:05 AM
I don't think so. IMO they will go Safety,ILB or CB

I agree. The FA madness pretty much confirms that they won't use a day one pick on a receiver.

kastofsna
03-13-2007, 08:34 AM
marcus mccauley.

real
03-13-2007, 08:39 AM
The late first early second is going to be a gold mine in this years draft.

The Patriots are looking really nice right about now. I love it.

GoPats
03-13-2007, 09:40 AM
The Patriots are looking really nice right about now. I love it.

Two late-round picks... yes, they sure are. Much cheaper to sign those guys than 1-20. Plus with all the holes they've filled in FA, they don't have to draft for need, which is great.