PDA

View Full Version : See-Saw, See-Saw, now we won't move up to take Quinn

Texans Pride
03-11-2007, 12:50 AM
From the Chronicle:

For the second consecutive week, there has been a report that the Texans might be trying to move up in the draft to select quarterback Brady Quinn.

Neither report is true.

As the Chronicle reported last week, the Texans are not expected to pass up Quinn if he is available with the eighth pick, but they haven't tried to move up.

The Texans have denied they are interested in moving up. Executives with five of the teams that draft in front of the Texans said last week they haven't been contacted by general manager Rick Smith or coach Gary Kubiak about the Texans trying to move up in the first round.

Publicly and privately, the Texans insist they are trying to add draft choices, not surrender them.

As the draft draws closer, there will be a lot of reports involving a lot of teams, including the Texans, about moving up or down in the draft. A few might even be true.

The Texans have the same quarterbacks David Carr, Sage Rosenfels and Bradlee Van Pelt as they had at the end of the season.

They made an effort to sign Jeff Garcia and Patrick Ramsey. Why? Garcia would have been the starter with Rosenfels as the backup and, more than likely, a rookie selected in the second or third round.

If they had signed Ramsey, he would have backed up Rosenfels. A rookie would have been the third quarterback.

They wouldn't have signed Garcia to compete with Carr for the starting job and have Rosenfels as the third quarterback. Kubiak kept only two veterans on the roster last season.

They wouldn't have signed Ramsey as the third quarterback behind Carr and Rosenfels.

Even though the Texans never will admit it, both of those scenarios would have played out without Carr.

If the Texans end up with Quinn in the first round or a quarterback in the second or third round, the rookie is going to be developed. A veteran, probably Rosenfels, would start this season.

Rosenfels also is the type of veteran who will work with a rookie and help develop him.

So where does that leave Carr? Still on the trading block, but it takes two to make a trade.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/4619278.html

Second Honeymoon
03-11-2007, 12:53 AM
thank god we arent moving up (allegedly)...that would just be stupid

dirty steve
03-11-2007, 03:54 AM
i am in complete agreement against a trade up. in trying to do a mock draft for the Texans, i realized that i could have used at least one more pick, not less. let's stay where we are at, take the player we want, or entertain offers for a reasonable trade down scenario that get us at least one extra day one pick.

Navy_Chris
03-11-2007, 04:21 AM
i am in complete agreement against a trade up. in trying to do a mock draft for the Texans, i realized that i could have used at least one more pick, not less. let's stay where we are at, take the player we want, or entertain offers for a reasonable trade down scenario that get us at least one extra day one pick.

I agree. I would like to see Quinn in a Texans uniform though. Hopefully he's there at 8.

mancunian
03-11-2007, 04:51 AM
I had a crazy thought - would the Pats trade 2 late first round picks for our 8 and would we accept it?

Its that a crazy, stupid idea or not........

Navy_Chris
03-11-2007, 04:54 AM
I had a crazy thought - would the Pats trade 2 late first round picks for our 8 and would we accept it?

I don't think they'd like that too much if we proposed a deal like that. I think they're salivating at the chance to draft Gonzales or Pozluszny at 24 and Willis or Hughes at 28.

Koolaid Time
03-11-2007, 05:07 AM

Maybe the Pats would trade if McNair also offered to pay some of Tom Brady's child support bill next year...

freedoggy77
03-11-2007, 09:16 AM
Maybe the Pats would trade if McNair also offered to pay some of Tom Brady's child support bill next year...

rofl...anyways, i just read this article in the paper and then logged on here lol. i'm glad that we're not moving up for Quinn and even if he's available at 8 I REALLY HOPE we take Landry instead.

gtexan02
03-11-2007, 09:46 AM
The pats can take late 1st rounders and make them superheros. No way they move up in the draft

03-11-2007, 10:01 AM
if this is true, it's music to my ears. If peterson, landry, and thomas are gone by #8, i'd love to trade down.

aj.
03-11-2007, 10:13 AM
March 9: "The Texans are trading up to 6."
OMG OMG OMG ..... Everybody, did you see this? Check this out ....OMG <insert visual of phone booth scene in the movie Airplane here - with the people running left to right>

March 11: "The Texans are not trading up to 6."
OMG OMG OMG ..... Everybody, did you see this? Check this out ....OMG <insert visual of phone booth scene in the movie Airplane here - with the people running right to left>

Sincerely,

Sitting here watching in amusement because nothing has changed since March 8.

O.G.
03-11-2007, 10:14 AM
rofl...anyways, i just read this article in the paper and then logged on here lol. i'm glad that we're not moving up for Quinn and even if he's available at 8 I REALLY HOPE we take Landry instead.

I second that. Landry at no. 8. Let us not forget, as bad as Carr played all year there were 3 games that our defensive blew in the final seconds, not car inablility to be P. Manning and win it for us. I know we all recall, 3rd and 20. Opponents have the ball, quarterback drops back, hits a pass over the middle for 25 yrds and an automatic first down........now how many times have we heard that last year.

gtexan02
03-11-2007, 10:15 AM
Its the offseason, what else do you want us to do?

We've been stuck with mediocrity leading our team for 5 years, even the CHANCE that he's going away is the most exciting news I've heard in years

afcman
03-11-2007, 10:18 AM
We've been stuck with mediocrity leading our team for 5 years

There's a lot of optimism this off season. Maybe we will get back on track after all this time.

TheRealJoker
03-11-2007, 10:18 AM
If the Texans are planning on taking anyone but Landry if its between Landry and Quinn then I hope with every fiber of my being that we're trading out of 8.

Johnny Utah
03-11-2007, 10:23 AM
First off this article is written by John McClain. McClain likes to write in a way that sounds like he knows exactly what is going to happen. Remember last season it was first "The Texans are going to draft Vince Young," then it became "The Texans will draft Reggie Bush." Neither came true.

Do you think that the Texans would actually tell McClain if they want to trade up to get Quinn?

TheRealJoker
03-11-2007, 10:32 AM
First off this article is written by John McClain. McClain likes to write in a way that sounds like he knows exactly what is going to happen. Remember last season it was first "The Texans are going to draft Vince Young," then it became "The Texans will draft Reggie Bush." Neither came true.

Do you think that the Texans would actually tell McClain if they want to trade up to get Quinn?

I hope so, because if they take Quinn over Landry....:wild:

autch14
03-11-2007, 10:59 AM
i don't think the texans told mclain anything he's a good reporter but he doesn't always know everything. I'm not saying it's true but the guy from espn that has good sources is saying that we are gonna trade up but only if quinn is there at #6. So if we trade it only be on draft day.

A Texan
03-11-2007, 11:01 AM
Quinn seems to be thought by most experts to be the best QB in the draft, so dropping to 8th would be unusual. But you never know. Remember how Aaron Rodgers was supposed to be picked in the top two? I'd be surprised if the Texans didn't take him at 8 though.

Jwwillis
03-11-2007, 11:14 AM
IMHO...Sage,Quinn WILL NOT BE AN UPGRADE for the upcoming season. Carr isn't great but he would be better this season than Sage or Quinn. So why down grade? Why cant we wait till next year when Carr's contract is up and there are more options at QB? Oh! Texans fans want change NOW regardless of if it is good or bad for the team. Doesn't this sound a lot like the way Bud Adams ran his Oilers in the 70's. I am ready for a QB change too, but not at any cost. If the Texans only problem was QB my story may be diffrent, but there are so many needs with higher priority than QB, taking cap hits and trading away draft picks for lateral QB moves makes no sense!

Texans Pride
03-11-2007, 11:15 AM
The purpose of this thread was not to inform anyone of what the Texans will now be doing, the purpose of this thread was to give you another article to read that is based around our team.

Do with it as you will :)

Jwwillis
03-11-2007, 11:19 AM
Quinn seems to be thought by most experts to be the best QB in the draft, so dropping to 8th would be unusual. But you never know. Remember how Aaron Rodgers was supposed to be picked in the top two? I'd be surprised if the Texans didn't take him at 8 though.

I don't have stats to back this up but I'd bet Carr had a better rating coming out of college than Quinn does. So Texan fans automatically thinking Quinn will be better than Carr in the NFL makes it look as if they have blinders on.

SAMURAITEXAN
03-11-2007, 11:22 AM
The purpose of this thread was not to inform anyone of what the Texans will now be doing, the purpose of this thread was to give you another article to read that is based around our team.

Do with it as you will :)

Thanks for info. Texans Pride!

mexican_texan
03-11-2007, 11:26 AM
Look for a ninja...I just saw a smokescreen.

Don't believe ANYTHING about the draft until it happens.

texun
03-11-2007, 11:43 AM
I hope we don't trade up to get Quinn. He is just this years drafts version of David Carr and it would be at least a couple of years before he would have any affect (good or bad). We need impact players now.
It is very probable that one of the following will be availalbe at #8:
*Adrian Peterson
*Levi Brown
*LaRon Landry
*Brady Quinn
The only one of this group that wouldn't be an instant starter and impact player is Quinn. I hope we can get Peterson because there is no doubt that he will be a great running back. Then we can draft a QB for development in the 2nd or 3rd round.

David's Busted Carr
03-11-2007, 11:47 AM
If Quinn is avalible at #8 we draft him.

If Quinn is gone and Landry is available we take Landry.

If Quinn AND Landry are gone then it's between Okoye and Levi Brown. And we probably take Okoye (with the recent signing of Black and Salaam).

Any questions?

Ole Miss Texan
03-11-2007, 11:59 AM
IMHO...Sage,Quinn WILL NOT BE AN UPGRADE for the upcoming season. Carr isn't great but he would be better this season than Sage or Quinn. So why down grade? Why cant we wait till next year when Carr's contract is up and there are more options at QB? Oh! Texans fans want change NOW regardless of if it is good or bad for the team. Doesn't this sound a lot like the way Bud Adams ran his Oilers in the 70's. I am ready for a QB change too, but not at any cost. If the Texans only problem was QB my story may be diffrent, but there are so many needs with higher priority than QB, taking cap hits and trading away draft picks for lateral QB moves makes no sense!

I agree with you that I'd rathe take another position in the first...if we did choose a QB in the first I'd take Quinn though.

And you just said it...they will not be an upgrade for the upcoming season...but that's not what we should really be concerned THAT much about...they will take Quinn only if they see it as an upgrade for the franchise and for the long term.....sure they want us to win every game next season...but building this franchise into constant winnners is what they are trying to do...and they will take whoever they think can help us the most now and in the future.

Jwwillis
03-11-2007, 12:12 PM
I agree with you that I'd rathe take another position in the first...if we did choose a QB in the first I'd take Quinn though.

And you just said it...they will not be an upgrade for the upcoming season...but that's not what we should really be concerned THAT much about...they will take Quinn only if they see it as an upgrade for the franchise and for the long term.....sure they want us to win every game next season...but building this franchise into constant winnners is what they are trying to do...and they will take whoever they think can help us the most now and in the future.

I just dont understand possibly trading away draft picks and taking large cap hits with Carrs contract to aquire a Rookie QB who is not rated as high as Carr was coming out of college. And then trying to expalin he will be an upgrade for the long term. A QB change this year will be change for change sake.

"...they will take Quinn only if they see it as an upgrade for the franchise and for the long term....."

MAN! If our coaches are able to see upgrades in the long term we will win the SB by '08.

2BCF
03-11-2007, 12:23 PM
I just dont understand possibly trading away draft picks and taking large cap hits with Carrs contract to aquire a Rookie QB who is not rated as high as Carr was coming out of college. And then trying to expalin he will be an upgrade for the long term. A QB change this year will be change for change sake.

"...they will take Quinn only if they see it as an upgrade for the franchise and for the long term....."

Almost anything would be an upgrade to a starting QB that has his hands tied by the coaching staff.
That's how we ended '06, with Davey only being allowed to hand-off the ball and pass for +/- 5 yds.
No one wants to see us start our '07 season the same way.
Carr is good as gone. Get used to it.

Second Honeymoon
03-11-2007, 12:27 PM
I don't have stats to back this up but I'd bet Carr had a better rating coming out of college than Quinn does. So Texan fans automatically thinking Quinn will be better than Carr in the NFL makes it look as if they have blinders on.

dude, carr sucks. he has been given 5 years. time for a change. stop making excuses for the loser.

also let me be one of the first to say that Landry is not worth the #8 pick. he didnt show me anything in the Sugar Bowl and actually looked like nothing special.

running fast on a track means nothing to me either. i do like that he has family in the NFL as that shows good pedigree

Ole Miss Texan
03-11-2007, 12:33 PM

MAN! If our coaches are able to see upgrades in the long term we will win the SB by '08.

News flash...that's what every team is trying to do.

vtech9
03-11-2007, 12:35 PM

The bolded part is what most people that want Carr gone disagree with. They believe that Sage WILL be an upgrade over Carr. Basically the thought is that Sage won't hurt us as much with stupid mistakes like David has, and that Sage will be able to manage the game better.

Personally, I don't think Quinn is the answer either. IMHO, he isn't that far above some of the other QB's that can be had later in the draft to warrant a top ten pick. Unless he is going to start from day 1, I think the other QB's can be brought in and trained to be just as good if not better than him. Personally, I would rather have Jared Zabransky in the 6th than take Quinn in the first. At least Zabransky has proven that he can win the big game.

Jwwillis
03-11-2007, 12:44 PM
dude, carr sucks. he has been given 5 years. time for a change. stop making excuses for the loser.

also let me be one of the first to say that Landry is not worth the #8 pick. he didnt show me anything in the Sugar Bowl and actually looked like nothing special.

running fast on a track means nothing to me either. i do like that he has family in the NFL as that shows good pedigree

Carr may be a loser on the football field but the question is, is Bob McNair a loser in business? Im trying to find where i am defending Carr as oppose to looking out for the franchise I love. I have repeatedly said it is time for a QB change. All this Carr anger has unbalanced a lot of folks in this forum.

At this point releasing Carr and drafting Quinn 1st round (possibly trading up) to replace him is a HUGE financial setback for the franchise. I'm not so sure standing pat at QB one more year is such a bad business move. The fans are important but lets face it, there is a waiting line for season tickets. Too bad the rookie QB crop this year is so lame. I know Carr won't be back so I suppose I'm just playing devil's advocate looking at this from an owners standpoint. Im not one to make hasty moves in big business based on anger or the way someone combs his hair.

Dunta_23
03-11-2007, 12:47 PM
if this is true, it's music to my ears. If peterson, landry, and thomas are gone by #8, i'd love to trade down.

The thing is, if all the alleged "Blue Chip" prospects are gone by #8, there probably wont be much of an interest for a team to move up...

Jwwillis
03-11-2007, 12:51 PM
The bolded part is what most people that want Carr gone disagree with. They believe that Sage WILL be an upgrade over Carr. Basically the thought is that Sage won't hurt us as much with stupid mistakes like David has, and that Sage will be able to manage the game better.

Personally, I don't think Quinn is the answer either. IMHO, he isn't that far above some of the other QB's that can be had later in the draft to warrant a top ten pick. Unless he is going to start from day 1, I think the other QB's can be brought in and trained to be just as good if not better than him. Personally, I would rather have Jared Zabransky in the 6th than take Quinn in the first. At least Zabransky has proven that he can win the big game.

Indeed Sage vs. Carr.

Sage won't be able to get outa the way fast enough. He will last maybe 5 games.

MATRIX
03-11-2007, 12:52 PM
Almost anything would be an upgrade to a starting QB that has his hands tied by the coaching staff.
That's how we ended '06, with Davey only being allowed to hand-off the ball and pass for +/- 5 yds.
No one wants to see us start our '07 season the same way.
Carr is good as gone. Get used to it.

You are a moron. ANYONE IS AN UPGRADE, you must be kidding. If not, I hear we can get a QB from the Woodlands middle school team. LETS TAKE HIM:yahoo:

SamuraiSword
03-11-2007, 12:57 PM

UHmmm do you remember Dunta's quote? Just read my sig and it was his rant against carr......

Jwwillis
03-11-2007, 01:02 PM
UHmmm do you remember Dunta's quote? Just read my sig and it was his rant against carr......

Fortunately Dunta is not an owner or head coach. Actually the way the quote reads I agree. Notice the name Carr is not in your profound Dunta quote.

Ole Miss Texan
03-11-2007, 01:06 PM
Fortunately Dunta is not an owner or head coach. Actually the way the quote reads I agree. Notice the name Carr is not in your profound Dunta quote.

hahah.

I don't even think Quinn is going to last untill 8...and i hope we don't move up...but this was a great article...much differant than the crap i've been reading that end up not making any sense...i wonder how some sports writers don't even know what is ridiculous and what would actually make sense for a team to do.

Jwwillis
03-11-2007, 01:14 PM
You are a moron. ANYONE IS AN UPGRADE, you must be kidding. If not, I hear we can get a QB from the Woodlands middle school team. LETS TAKE HIM:yahoo:

Or read my tailgate post: http://forums.houstontexans.com/showthread.php?t=36509

GP
03-11-2007, 03:08 PM

100% agree.

It's a lateral move at BEST...and it trades something away if we moved up.

Even staying at No. 8 and picking Quinn is a wrong move.

Itchy trigger fingers is what we have going on here. I think David Carr is gone. It's a foregone conclusion. But let us be wise in what we do at QB from here on out. Bud got Steve McNair, and waited a looooooooong time to get his copy-cat replacement (VY).

That was a nice job of patience and self-discipline, even if I do despise Bud with my whole heart. He stole my team away.

I pray Quinn is gone by No. 7.

GP
03-11-2007, 03:16 PM
Something that hasn't been mentioned (I think it hasn't):

What if we DID draft Quinn at No. 8 and then traded him like the Chargers traded Eli to NY?

That's possible. A team comes onto the clock, doesn't see a guy they want, and then trades us for Quinn.

If you get your plans shot to hell as guys go off the board, and see a bunch of guys you don't want to pay 1st round money to...you can say "We can get Quinn from Houston and probably do OK with it."

Just saying: It's happened before.

And it might work well if we have been told by other teams that they'll work with us if we give them that chance. This way, a team wouldn't have to trade UP to get Quinn--We'd take him and hold him for the team until their pick comes up.

1. Pray Quinn goes by No. 7

2. If he gets drafted by us at No. 8...pray that another team trades us for him.

Not good Texas Hold 'Em odds (two outs) but I guess a guy can dream...

Silver Oak
03-11-2007, 03:17 PM

every once in awhile someone posts something good and much more realistic than some of the ridiculous posts around here.

rep your way willis.

MATRIX
03-11-2007, 04:40 PM
Or read my tailgate post: http://forums.houstontexans.com/showthread.php?t=36509

Yea, I like that thread. Thats what everyone keeps forgetting.

IF we start Sage(god forbid), he isn't an upgrade over Carr. The media, FO and just about everyone has said that. Carr got use 6 wins, so if we have an option: Carr or Sage...I'd rather use Carr he got us 6 wins.

Then, our pick:

#8 If AP is around...grab him, and we can get atleast 1 more win from the duo(or tandom) of Green, Dayne and AP beating teams on the ground.

If AP is gone at #8, take the best DL/OL player left. Landry won't be here by #8.

Then, grab Stanton or Kolb in the 3rd. And or #2 WR in the 2nd or 4th.

Add it all up, we have then done alot with little. Here are our needs:

QB(unless Carr comes up big this year)...Kolb or Stanton CHECK

RB We have Green, Taylor and Dayne(he'll be back...but Lundy or Gado would do as #3 RB) If we take AP, we have a 10yr RB will alot of skill. Situation: CHECK

If no AP, then the OL/DL player will help protect the QB or help us get after the QB. 3& out helps. Situation: CHECK

Now a #2 WR, this draft has alot to offer in talent at WR. And alot of GREAT ideas for a #2...in the 2-5th rds.

As for the rest...get a LB a CBorS and we are doing better than this time last year. The ONLY player we get that probably will not play is the 7th rd pick.

threetoedpete
03-11-2007, 08:00 PM
hahah.

I don't even think Quinn is going to last untill 8...and i hope we don't move up...but this was a great article...much differant than the crap i've been reading that end up not making any sense...i wonder how some sports writers don't even know what is ridiculous and what would actually make sense for a team to do.

Thank God for the astros huh ? The fruit loop and the chihuahua are currently occupied. Which goes to prove sometimes less is more. With McClain's track record the last three drafts...gotta think the harder he says they ain't in the market to more up , the more I believe it's a possiblity.

The ONLY guy I could see a move up for is Joe Thomas. Period.

Nice post there second honeymoon. At least you're consistant. I knew you'd rise and hit the bait in the water. You did not disappoint. Whip the herd up to forty percent ? :wheel:

2BCF
03-11-2007, 08:12 PM
every once in awhile someone posts something good and much more realistic than some of the ridiculous posts around here.

Unfortunately....that wasn't one of them.
Have another drink! :drunk:

TexansSB07
03-11-2007, 11:42 PM
the ONLY person talking trade up what that Fat ***** from ESPN Pasquarelli (who couldn't pick a winner in a 1 horse race), no one else anywhere that I saw beyond his jumbo butt was talking trade up AT ALL. This guy is so dumb, he had Cowboys winning Super Bowl in 2006..ROFLMFAO

The only comment I heard was when Rick Smith was asked about draft, he said "Texans open to moving up or moving down, but would prefer to move back for more picks",

ESPN Idiots strike again, sportsmedia instead of doing a little research hear one of the ESPN gasbags spouting his wisdom and rest of sportsmedia print like it came down from mount.:joker: