PDA

View Full Version : We are Loser #5 on ESPN

gtexan02
03-08-2007, 09:56 PM
According to ESPNs 5 winners and losers from Free Agency, we are the #5 biggest loser.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=2789661

infantrycak
03-08-2007, 10:01 PM
So much for another example of Clayton's intelligence. So the Texans with limited cap space are bigger losers than the Titans with huge cap space and so far their net is loss of their #1 receiver and #1 RB--gotcha John.

Trap_Star
03-08-2007, 10:01 PM
Why isnt Tennessee #1? They have all that money and they have'nt done a thing....

thunderkyss
03-08-2007, 10:02 PM
So much for another example of Clayton's intelligence. So the Texans with limited cap space are bigger losers than the Titans with huge cap space and so far their net is loss of their #1 receiver and #1 RB--gotcha John.

Didn't they also lose Bobby Wade?? & Chris Brown as well??

Dime
03-08-2007, 10:06 PM
It is credible if you

1. Find anything that John Clayton says as important.

2. Care about espn analyists have to say.

3. and dont have a clue what the current FO is trying to do.

I am quite happy with the moves in FA and we are seeing some real progress done, without paying stupid prices for them.

gtexan02
03-08-2007, 10:08 PM
The only thing I don't like is the Moulds release, but without being privy to his demands, who knows if it is on the FO or on the player

Spike
03-08-2007, 10:10 PM
Until we turn things around, the national media is going to continue to pile on the Texans. We are damned if we do, damned if we don't.

Stros5Texans80
03-08-2007, 10:27 PM
Until we turn things around, the national media is going to continue to pile on the Texans. We are damned if we do, damned if we don't.

QFT Until we do something that grabs people's attention, I don't think we will ever stop hearing from them.

macaronitoni
03-08-2007, 10:31 PM
Why isnt Tennessee #1? They have all that money and they have'nt done a thing....

We Lost a legitimate number 2 wide receiver, have done nothing (before today, which even that is not nearly enough) to better our two worst areas, offensive line, and secondary which we lost a guy there as well. Oh and not to mention we still have Carr and nobody wants him. The only positive to this offseason thusfar is Green and he alone won't turn us around.

As far as the Titans are concerned, they haven't done anything stupid. Holding onto money isn't exactly a bad thing. Its only been a week.

mexican_texan
03-08-2007, 10:34 PM
Sports Illustrated > ESPN
NFL Network > ESPN
That dog turd at the bus stop > ESPN

fdknuckles
03-08-2007, 10:36 PM
ESPN KNOWS NOTHING!!!!

Those desk jokeys at ESPN just follow the $money$

The Texans are moving...more than others. We are moving up, little by little, our "no name" hombres are going to move up until Manning, Schein, and Kiper are licking their wounds in Nov.

GET SOME TEXANS!!!

fdknuckles
03-08-2007, 10:37 PM
OOOPs...Jockeys

Reddevil63
03-08-2007, 11:08 PM
As far as the Titans are concerned, they haven't done anything stupid. Holding onto money isn't exactly a bad thing. Its only been a week.
Your right, they haven't spent the money they had while losing their top 2 RB's and #1 WR

keyfro
03-08-2007, 11:12 PM
you know this is why espn is espn and why the nfl network was created...it's a double-edge sword when you ask who the biggest winners of free agency are...to me it's not the teams it's the players...because we've seen it too many times that when a player gets paid then his production all of a sudden starts to fall...sometimes this is because the player only excelled on the team that they were originally on...and sometimes it's because since they got their big signing bonus they're simply not as hungry as they were before the big payday

that's why i'm glad we didn't go after the big name guys...that's why you see teams like new england constantly in the playoffs...because they don't overpay for guys...because they don't always go after the big time players unless they know they fit their system

we've seen first hand what happens when you go after names...*cough todd wade cough*...most of the time it just doesn't work

GTFan
03-08-2007, 11:35 PM
So, we're a top 5 loser because we still have Carr on the roster? We're losers b/c we didn't trade for Plummer? We're losers b/c it's March and we're not entirely sure who our QB is going to be in Sept? Pretty harsh. I didn't expect us to be on this list.

Texans Horror
03-08-2007, 11:45 PM
1 - SI also has questioned the Texans' offseason, particularly the Green signing. Though everyone agrees the Texans need a RB, Green's age (30) and his signing ($8 mil) are considered big negatives.

2 - I still think Moulds wanted out and that if the Texans hadn't let him go, they would be dealing with a Lance Briggs situation.

3 - Coming out of last year's offseason, the big winner was considered Cleveland, who hired a lot of guns and fixed their o-line woes with the Bentley signing. Surely, Cleveland would do well in 2006.

4 - One pattern I have noticed is that the Texans don't like getting "sandwiched" into a deal. They know it is easy to do to them this year, but have done everything possible to avoid it. Think not trading for Plummer and signing Green when it is starting to look like AP has a reasonable chance of falling to the Texans.

5 - I think the Green signing is awesome. Green will make holes (BYOBlocker) like Dayne did, only better. Batman is also a good running blocker, which the Texans have always lacked. He knows the system. For the situation the Texans are in, it is one of the best pick-ups they could have made, and I applaud it.

Carr Bombed
03-08-2007, 11:58 PM
Hold on a sec, How the hell is Tamp Bay a "winner", they signed a old QB (I'm not sold on Garcia, too many bad Lions and Browns games), traded for one that won't even report, signed a Ancient DE, and signed a "okay" LT.

Texans Horror
03-09-2007, 12:17 AM
Hold on a sec, How the hell is Tamp Bay a "winner", they signed a old QB (I'm not sold on Garcia, too many bad Lions and Browns games), traded for one that won't even report, signed a Ancient DE, and signed a "okay" LT.

Made headlines. JMO, but if they drafted Plummer to trade to the Texans, then they royally messed up.

run-david-run
03-09-2007, 12:49 AM
We are a week into FA...

shakes head in disgust

Low Life
03-09-2007, 01:36 AM
Yes. A week. I couldn't have expressed my emotions more elaborately on a valentine's day card to to my one true love.

michaelm
03-09-2007, 03:31 AM
It is credible if you

1. Find anything that John Clayton says as important.

2. Care about espn analyists have to say.

3. and dont have a clue what the current FO is trying to do.

I am quite happy with the moves in FA and we are seeing some real progress done, without paying stupid prices for them.

Dime, I agree with every thing you have said here...

i am a little nervous, however, because I felt exactly the same way after last year's preseason moves...

thunderkyss
03-09-2007, 08:30 AM
Dime, I agree with every thing you have said here...

i am a little nervous, however, because I felt exactly the same way after last year's preseason moves...

Last year free agency moves were pretty good as well. Like our draft, probably best ever.

Dayne contributed, as did Cook. Moulds did what he was supposed to do(I didn't expect him to leave, but we signed a guy last off-season who came in and played well), Weaver is solid... hard to tell about the money, we brought him in to play DE, but needed him at DT so much, that he played DT more.... versatility= good, but value=not so much.

Cowart= a waste of time. Nothing against Cowart, but he couldn't beat out a rookie transitioning to that position(MLB) but I guess it stings less, that he went on to be DROY...

Kevin Walter... I love the guy. I wish we had someone who could take advantage of an offense that has KW in the slot, and Owen Daniels at TE.... not to mention AJ & Moulds as the WideOuts.

Ephraim, N.D. Kalu... solid role players that we expected them to be.

If this off-season can be as successfull as last off-season(FA+Draft) we're going to have a great season.

kastofsna
03-09-2007, 08:35 AM
the titans have done squat. how are they not #1? this was supposed to be the offseason they bolstered their passing game (need a QB first, btw), but they lose their #1 receiver and starting RB? what am i missing...

texans83
03-09-2007, 08:38 AM
they dont know anything, Im glad we did sign the big time money free agents, it just shows that Smith is going to build in the draft and fill in the holes as he can.

Texan_Bill
03-09-2007, 08:40 AM
Last year free agency moves were pretty good as well. Like our draft, probably best ever.

Dayne contributed, as did Cook. Moulds did what he was supposed to do(I didn't expect him to leave, but we signed a guy last off-season who came in and played well), Weaver is solid... hard to tell about the money, we brought him in to play DE, but needed him at DT so much, that he played DT more.... versatility= good, but value=not so much.

Cowart= a waste of time. Nothing against Cowart, but he couldn't beat out a rookie transitioning to that position(MLB) but I guess it stings less, that he went on to be DROY...

Kevin Walter... I love the guy. I wish we had someone who could take advantage of an offense that has KW in the slot, and Owen Daniels at TE.... not to mention AJ & Moulds as the WideOuts.

If this off-season can be as successfull as last off-season(FA+Draft) we're going to have a great season.

*band plays... confetti falls*

TK's best post ever!! :yahoo:

coachdent
03-09-2007, 08:47 AM
OBVIOUSLY, ESPN had aired the Clayton piece before we locked down Chad Stanley. Had they waited, he most certainly would have elevated the Texans to top five! :sarcasm:

The Texans have done fairly well in free agency considering how up against the cap we are (Thanks Charlie). A viable starting running back, an offensive lineman who can play a couple of different positions and of course our punter. Good stuff. Need to have a good draft now and shut these folks up.

jerek
03-09-2007, 09:32 AM

Wtf ... so John is so well connected to the NFL that he knows we (a) wanted Plummer, and (b) were trying to unload Carr, yet he had no idea that the Plummer trade/retirement was in works? Reporters should be comfortable using words like "rumored," "alleged," or "thought" instead of resorting to reporting opinions or estimates as fact in order to sound smarter.

Oh, and it doesn't matter who the Titans lose--Vince Young is going to play both of those positions for the Titans next year.

HuttoKarl
03-09-2007, 09:50 AM
"How can Houston be a top five loser when we've added depth on the Offensive line, signed a solid LB, added a legitimate Running Back, and extended our pro-bowl WR all on limited cap space, while Tennessee sits with a ton of cap space and has lost their best WR, best RB and a backup WR and RB. John Clayton...do you have Alzheimer's?"

my response :)

thunderkyss
03-09-2007, 09:55 AM
"How can Houston be a top five loser when we've added depth on the Offensive line, signed a solid LB, added a legitimate Running Back, and extended our pro-bowl WR all on limited cap space, while Tennessee sits with a ton of cap space and has lost their best WR, best RB and a backup WR and RB. John Clayton...do you have Alzheimer's?"

my response :)

Man... some people's bubbles are going to pop when Danny Clark does not replace Orr... or plays pretty much the same... They're basically the same guy, & I think he's more depth than anything.

Texan_Bill
03-09-2007, 10:04 AM
"Rumored", "Alleged" or "thought" are a licensing to spew forth drivel...

If I could turn the clock back, I would have majored in journalism. Where else can you write whatever you want, as long as you mix in a couple of buzz words like........."Rumored", "Alleged" or "thought"

HuttoKarl
03-09-2007, 10:26 AM
Man... some people's bubbles are going to pop when Danny Clark does not replace Orr... or plays pretty much the same... They're basically the same guy, & I think he's more depth than anything.

Lack of depth killed us last season. Looks like Smith and Co. aren't going to let that happen again. How anyone can be upset about adding solid players is beyond me.

More Raider fans than not had a positive review of Clark. More KC fans than not wanted to keep Black on their team.

Both players help us.

El Amigo Invisible
03-09-2007, 10:42 AM
Espn said that the Texans made a horrible move not drafting Reggie Bush (not Vince Young). That shows you where their loyalties lie.

Heresy
03-09-2007, 10:47 AM
What's sort of funny is that espn also had an article talking about how some teams throw A grade money at B grade players in free agency.

The Ahman Green signing is great in my opinion. He gets paid a lot this year, but his contract is also very easy to dump, unlike that signed by some of the other running backs. I find it kind of hypocritical that writers are saying the Texans are idiots because Ahman Green is only a short-term solution, when the freaking contract he signed has all indications that the front office and ahman green both know he's a short-term solution. These are also the same writers who applaud the Ravens for trading 3 draft picks for Willis Mcgahee, a running back that most Bills fans were saying is completely overrated anyways.

thunderkyss
03-09-2007, 10:54 AM
Lack of depth killed us last season. Looks like Smith and Co. aren't going to let that happen again. How anyone can be upset about adding solid players is beyond me.

More Raider fans than not had a positive review of Clark. More KC fans than not wanted to keep Black on their team.

Both players help us.

We didn't lack depth at the LB position. I have no problem with this signing, or with JBlack... I'm just not ready to pencil either of them in as starters.

HuttoKarl
03-09-2007, 10:56 AM
We didn't lack depth at the LB position. I have no problem with this signing, or with JBlack... I'm just not ready to pencil either of them in as starters.

I won't pencil anyone in as a starter, although I think Black has an edge at LT over Salaam, until preseason is done. I just want them to all contribute in a positive way for the money we offered them.

HOU-TEX
03-09-2007, 11:04 AM

Competition baby! Keep bringing them biggens in here. After last years camp, I think Kubiak believes highly in having competition at every position.:dance2:

Roughnecks
03-09-2007, 11:20 AM
Well nowadays you have to give a guy a 80 million dollar contract to be a winner in these guys eyes. Look at Denver they get Bly draft picks galore but the 49ers have had a better FA off season go figure you have to take these so called experts opinion with a grain of salt.

afcman
03-09-2007, 12:42 PM
Care about espn analyists have to say.

No kidding!!!!!!!!! Talking MLB for hours on end in the middle of the NFL season? Get out of my radio!!!!!!!!

It's why I now have Sirius and NFL channel 124 baby!!!!!!!!!! :yahoo:

Thank you LORD for Sirius radio.

freedoggy77
03-09-2007, 05:28 PM
ESPN be trippin

TEXANRED
03-09-2007, 06:10 PM
Why do we always gotta finish last in everything we do? We can't even finish first in being the worst.

Janus3
03-09-2007, 06:36 PM
what a joke. ahman green might'vve been slightly overpayed but there is no doubt he still has some gas in the tank and will be able to offer another weapon for the texans. danny clark is a damn fine linebacker and VERY underrated. he will solidify the lb core and offer veteran leadership. jordan black has been a solid starter for the past 2 years or so. i forgot who else they signed atm, but those 3 address needs with able bodies.

michaelm
03-09-2007, 07:09 PM

Yeah, you're right TK. I guess I am really talking about how my preseason optimism compared to the final reality of the season... Your preseason optimism was greater than mine, so i know you can relate...

michaelm
03-09-2007, 07:12 PM
Where else can you write whatever you want, as long as you mix in a couple of buzz words like........."Rumored", "Alleged" or "thought"

Well... here on the MB, for one!