PDA

View Full Version : OT Jordan Black Visits & Signs

LORK 88
03-08-2007, 04:50 PM
Black, Zgonina speak with Texans (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/detail.php?PRKey=3358)

Following are comments from free agent offensive tackle Jordan Black after he visited with Texans officials on Thursday.

(on coming to Houston) Well, I am from Dallas. Its always good to come back to Texas, and it would make me very happy to be a part of this organization and this town.

(on helping out along the offensive line) You dont want to go someplace where you dont feel needed or wanted. I get the feeling that there is some interest here and I would like to help them any way I can. If it works out that way, that would be great.

(on him as a player) Im going to play hard and Im going to work hard. My goal is to get better everyday and my goal is to help the team the most that I can. Im just going to go out to practice and try to become a better player and help the team.

(on the Texans' scheme) Its the NFL, there really are no secrets; its just the manner in which you call the plays that really separates yourself. But, Ive been around for four years and I know a little, Im not going to say I know a lot, but it comes with experience. Im very confident that I could pick it up and play well here.

(on what he likes about the Texans) The facilities are unbelievable. They are far beyond the others teams that Ive visited; the weight room, the locker room, everything, its first class here. That just says a lot about the ownership and it shows the commitment they have here to winning and wanting to take the next step.

(on if hes a right or left tackle) Ive been playing left tackle, but, let me practice a position and Ill play it. Im easy that way. I can play whatever they want me to.

(on other visits) There are still a few teams that I might go visit. Ive been to Tampa and Oakland, the whole coast to coast thing, but I like Houston and I like whats going on here. Well see what happens as far as taking the rest of these visits

(on teams trying to keep free agents and sign them) If they can, they have some little tricks to keep you there, but, that is the way it is. There are little things. Ill just leave it at that.

LORK 88
03-08-2007, 04:50 PM
Jordan Black seems like he really wants to come to Houston and its a matter of the contract numbers (I really hope this is true). He turned 27 in January, is 6'5" 310 lbs, and has been a 2 year starter in KC. He visited Tampa Bay (who already signed OT Luke Petigout) and Oakland (but doesn't seem too interested). He seems like he would be a solid pickup and hopefully will be a Texan. Hurry up and sign him Smith!!

Exithios
03-08-2007, 04:52 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing how the Black deal transpires, thanks for the post LORK

HOU-TEX
03-08-2007, 04:53 PM
Jordan Black seems like he really wants to come to Houston and its a matter of the contract numbers (I really hope this is true). He turned 27 in January, is 6'5" 310 lbs, and has been a 2 year starter in KC. He visited Tampa Bay (who already signed OT Luke Petigout) and Oakland (but doesn't seem too interested). He seems like he would be a solid pickup and hopefully will be a Texan. Hurry up and sign him Smith!!

I hope we pick him up. He's learned from one of the best in Willie Roaf. Rt or Lft, who cares grab him boys.:)

cj5776
03-08-2007, 04:54 PM
I'm sure he says the same song and dance about every team. We deffantly need o-line help but I am starting to get a little concerned about replacing Moulds, Walters and a draft pick does not cut it to me. Same as QB, Sage and a draft pick is way to thin.

Nawzer
Would love to see Jordan Black in the steel blue uniform this season.

Please_Evolve
sounds like a GREAT insurance policy if Spencer isn't ready to go starting day and great back up or RT if we want to move Winston or have him be the swing backup T. If we land this...consider this a good offseason with the possibility of being a great one with another great draft and a few other FA signings.

profan
03-08-2007, 04:55 PM
I was just getting ready to post this. This would be a good pick up. Sounds like he would like to be here, but, it's all about the numbers. If he's going to be here it should happen soon.

texans83
thanks for the post, what kind of numbers has he put up?

HuttoKarl
I've changed my signature to send good Karma out and positive energy.

Jordan's our guy...we'll get him.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Young, experienced, and just might be able to cure our woes at the LT position. Get it done Rick.

Insideop
03-08-2007, 04:56 PM
Anybody know how good he is, and would he be a LT or RT?

HuttoKarl
03-08-2007, 04:56 PM
I'm sure he says the same song and dance about every team. We deffantly need o-line help but I am starting to get a little concerned about replacing Moulds, Walters and a draft pick does not cut it to me. Same as QB, Sage and a draft pick is way to thin.

If we don't have to worry about a starting LT in the draft, then we are opened up to take a studly WR in the second round, or trade down in the first. There are a ton of quality WR's in this draft...someone's going to be around in the second round for us.

HuttoKarl
03-08-2007, 04:57 PM

Says he'll play wherever we need him...he's played every O-Line position except Center, I think.

LORK 88
03-08-2007, 04:58 PM
If you read some of the other players we've interviewed, the 2 players who have sounded most enthused about Houston have been Jordan Black and Danny Clark. Clark signed later in the day when he visited and I expect Black to do the same. Ramsey, Reed, and Zgonina liked their visits, but you can tell in their answers that their mind is elsewhere and their going to continue to look elsewhere (or sign elsewhere like Ramsey did).

real
03-08-2007, 04:58 PM
Sounds about right...

Going after a guy that can play if need be, yet still allowing Spencer to compete for the spot....

LORK 88
03-08-2007, 04:59 PM
2 year starter at LT for KC, could play RT if need be as well. Seems like a good OL player who would fit the system well and help out where needed.

trutxn
03-08-2007, 05:03 PM
sounds like a GREAT insurance policy if Spencer isn't ready to go starting day and great back up or RT if we want to move Winston or have him be the swing backup T. If we land this...consider this a good offseason with the possibility of being a great one with another great draft and a few other FA signings.

No, he would be a good LT and Spencer would be moved to guard. This would be a great addition and would allow us to focus on other positions in the draft.

cj5776
03-08-2007, 05:03 PM
If we don't have to worry about a starting LT in the draft, then we are opened up to take a studly WR in the second round, or trade down in the first. There are a ton of quality WR's in this draft...someone's going to be around in the second round for us.

It just seems rare to find a WR that can start as a rookie, the learning curve apears to be stronger at that position

SuperMario
03-08-2007, 05:04 PM
Should be a solid signing if he signs. How good will he be in the ZBS?

HOU-TEX
03-08-2007, 05:06 PM
2 year starter at LT for KC, could play RT if need be as well. Seems like a good OL player who would fit the system well and help out where needed.

From what I've read, he can definetly be a swing tackle. Exactly what Kubiak is looking for.

Is also a candidate to claim the starting assignment at right tackle for the Chiefs this season after starting four games at that post and six at left tackle in 2005 Instinctive and intelligent performer began last season as the Opening Day starter at right tackle before seamlessly switching to left tackle for an injured Roaf

http://www.kcchiefs.com/player/jordan_black/

Please_Evolve
03-08-2007, 05:06 PM
No, he would be a good LT and Spencer would be moved to guard. This would be a great addition and would allow us to focus on other positions in the draft.

...I'd be fine with that. But hey i am sure you are the personell guy for the FO.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
03-08-2007, 05:26 PM
610 just reported Jordan Black has signed with the Texans!!!!!!!!

santo
03-08-2007, 05:27 PM

:elmo: :yahoo: :victory: :wild:

TexanAddict
03-08-2007, 05:31 PM

I'm happy. At the very least gives us some depth at the position.

nunusguy
03-08-2007, 05:33 PM
How good will he be in the ZBS?
That could be a huge issue.
But this guy can't be that good, or we couldn't afford him because so many other teams have far more cap space than we do and this is a young, but experienced OT. Teams pay huge contracts/premiums for players like that. Look at the deal the Cowboys gave to Leonard Davis, who might even play guard but no more than RT, definitely not LT from reports.
Lets hope this isn't the second coming of Todd Wade and we sign him, again.

texans83
03-08-2007, 05:34 PM
YAY YAY YAY :elmo: :elmo: :elmo: :elmo:

TexanAddict
03-08-2007, 05:37 PM
I am very interested to find out the financial parameters of this signing. If we didn't give some outrageous contract(Wade), then we should be fine.

dirty steve
03-08-2007, 05:38 PM
from HPF via the chron:
pretty reasonable if you ask me.
\
By JOHN MCCLAIN
Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

The Texans have agreed to a two-year, $3.5 million contract with free agent offensive tackle Jordan Black, who started at left tackle for the Kansas City Chiefs last season. Black, a Dallas native who played at Notre Dame, receives a signing bonus of $1.2 million.

During his four seasons with the Chiefs, Black played every position other than center. Black, 6-5, 320, played left tackle in college. Black joins Charles Spencer, Eric Winston and Ephraim Salaam as tackles on the Texans' roster.

texanskan
03-08-2007, 05:39 PM
Man, I think we are getting great value signings this offseason and we will then have a ton of cash to spend next year.

I'm A Texan!!!!!

texasguy346
03-08-2007, 05:40 PM

That's excellent news. Keep Salaam as a swing tackle & not a starter. We still need to look for an OT in the draft too, but picking up a good young tackle like Black is definately a good thing.

Nawzer
Great news and and a very good signing for us. Played left tackle for one of the best o-lines in the league. I'm really pumped about this signing.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
That is nowhere near the contract Todd Wade got. lol. Great pickup by Rick Smith.

WaywardTexanFan
03-08-2007, 05:41 PM
OH HE11 YEAH:yahoo:

Chance_C
03-08-2007, 05:42 PM
Man, I think we are getting great value signings this offseason and we will then have a ton of cash to spend next year.

I second that. We are doing things differently around here, which looks to be a good thing.

Grubber119
03-08-2007, 05:44 PM
I know he had a bad game at LT against the Colts in the 1st round of the playoffs, but I think he is an upgrade

Nawzer
So far the offseason reeks of common sense. Man I'm so happy CC is no longer here.

TexansJunkE
This would be a good pick up in my opinion. O:lightbulb: nly for the right side. He was eaten alive by Freeney in the Playoffs.

texanmojo
03-08-2007, 05:46 PM
He signed...

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/4613899.html

The Texans have agreed to a two-year, $3.5 million contract with free agent offensive tackle Jordan Black, who started at left tackle for the Kansas City Chiefs last season. Black, a Dallas native who played at Notre Dame, receives a signing bonus of $1.2 million.
During his four seasons with the Chiefs, Black played every position other than center. Black, 6-5, 320, played left tackle in college. Black joins Charles Spencer, Eric Winston and Ephraim Salaam as tackles on the Texans' roster.

TexanAddict
03-08-2007, 05:47 PM
Wow. What a difference this FO has made in FA. No signings so far that could cripple our cap in the future. This is a good signing at a very reasonable contract. :logo:

Clash_Fan3605
03-08-2007, 05:49 PM
Oi! Oi! Oi! :bananasplit: :mario3: :marionaner: :highfive:

markn
03-08-2007, 05:50 PM
This is another decent FA acquisition. Black isn't *that* great, but he's certainly going to help us out. I'm liking what Smith is doing here - positioning himself to be able to take the best available player in the draft.

Clash_Fan3605
03-08-2007, 05:50 PM
1 step closer to getting Landry... :elmo:

Texizgreat
03-08-2007, 05:51 PM
This is another decent FA acquisition. Black isn't *that* great, but he's certainly going to help us out. I'm liking what Smith is doing here - positioning himself to be able to take the best available player in the draft.

Thats The Key!

keyfro
03-08-2007, 05:53 PM
well the thing about jordon black is that he's very young and as far as starting experience goes i believe this was his first year to start at LT...so he had the typical growing pains but i think with a year under mike sherman his progress at the position could really start to take off...in the video interview of him on the teams website he mentioned that he's open to playing any position...so maybe he comes here to challenge for LT or maybe it's to keep pressure on eric winston to produce...bottom line is we finally have some competition that's not being overpaid at the offensive tackle position which i think will help this team out by leaps and bounds

HuttoKarl
03-08-2007, 05:58 PM

My Signature obviously worked. :elmo: :elmo: :elmo:

Second Honeymoon
03-08-2007, 05:59 PM
My Signature obviously worked. :elmo: :elmo: :elmo:

hell yeah. he shoots he scores.

Smith rocks the house again.

HuttoKarl
03-08-2007, 06:02 PM
hell yeah. he shoots he scores.

Smith rocks the house again.

Time for me to rock this Signature:

Adrian Peterson - Houston Texan

GuerillaBlack
03-08-2007, 06:03 PM
Very good move. Not too much money, and we have him for two years. Plus, he isn't from Denver or Green Bay! The Texans are doing things great this offseason.

Thread title needs to be changed.

dirty steve
03-08-2007, 06:03 PM
does this take Levi Brown out of possible thinking for the 8 spot?

landry seems alot more believable now. i'd actually almost be cool with that.

Clash_Fan3605
03-08-2007, 06:05 PM

Man, Landry & McCauley would bolster our D. Then if we sign Reed or Zgonina...

HOU-TEX
These people obviously don't think highly of Black.:confused:

http://forums.scout.com/mb.aspx?S=115#S=115&F=1837&T=214993

bATXle red
:dance2: :yahoo: :dance2: i like good news... it makes everyone all optimistic. it's good for a change

TexanFan881
03-08-2007, 06:06 PM
Sweet :redtowel:

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
03-08-2007, 06:07 PM

They have been spoiled by a great offensive line for years.

WaywardTexanFan
03-08-2007, 06:09 PM

You find both good and bad about Jordan Black.

Assets
Tall and well built, with a long wingspan. Has sound technique. Maintains balance and gets good position. Gets good leverage. Gets the job done as a run blocker. Has played tackle and guard.

Flaws
An average athlete. Not exceptionally quick out of his stance. Doesn't get great pop or sustain blocks in the running game. Footwork is average. Not light on his feet.

Career potentialQuality backup.

Jordan seems to play best as a guard but is average as a tackle. He is at worst depth on the OLine.

freedoggy77
03-08-2007, 06:09 PM
i am so happy that we finally have a good lineman. Hopefully now we won't even think about Levi Brown and draft LARON LANDRY!!!

htownfoozball
03-08-2007, 06:10 PM
can anyone fill us in for those of us (me) who aren't familiar with him?

HuttoKarl
03-08-2007, 06:11 PM
Bringing in these solid vets is only helping us develop youth via the draft...I'm loving this offseason although many seem to think we're just signing old guys.

WaywardTexanFan
Assets
Tall and well built, with a long wingspan. Has sound technique. Maintains balance and gets good position. Gets good leverage. Gets the job done as a run blocker. Has played tackle and guard.

Flaws
An average athlete. Not exceptionally quick out of his stance. Doesn't get great pop or sustain blocks in the running game. Footwork is average. Not light on his feet.

KC wanted to keep him but he signed with the Texans

beerlover
guess I'll be following Levi's career w/another team :crying:

this tells me a couple things. 1st Spencer is doing extremely well rehabing & two Jordan can add depth & give time for him to return 100%. seems like a sound plan, at least on paper :)

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
03-08-2007, 06:13 PM
Spencer - Pitts - Kalil - Black - Winston

Weary, McKinney and Flanagan provide depth. Salaam fits in as the swing tackle.

Hmm...

Maddict5
03-08-2007, 06:16 PM
1 step closer to getting Landry... :elmo:

or quinn, branch/okoye, hall, nelson etc

Ole Miss Texan
03-08-2007, 06:19 PM
Spencer - Pitts - Kalil - Black - Winston

Weary, McKinney and Flanagan provide depth. Salaam fits in as the swing tackle.

Hmm...

I love you....lol. Wow, we would have a really young o-line. Our line is already getting younger and hopefully getting better. after some time playing together they will be down right good.

nunusguy
03-08-2007, 06:23 PM
Assets

Assuming that the Texans continue with their ZB shemes, this guy is exactly the kind of OLineman who is a mismatch. But he was cheap, and apparently a
reserve for when one of our frontline guys goes down.

TEXANS84
03-08-2007, 06:24 PM
Hmm...snapstats.com reports that Jordan Black allowed 13.00 sacks last season and 8.00 the previous season.

Not the news I wanted to hear. Sounds like another Victor Riley.

http://snap.stats.com/stats/nflinfo/playerstats.asp?id=6489&Submit=Go

TEXANS84
03-08-2007, 06:25 PM
As I posted in a previous thread, snapstats.com (fairly reliable) reports he allowed 13 sacks last year, and 8 the previous season.

Ole Miss Texan
03-08-2007, 06:26 PM
Hmm...snapstats.com reports that Jordan Black allowed 13.00 sacks last season and 8.00 the previous season.

That doesn't sound too good at all.

I truse Kubiak/Smith/Sherman when evaluating OL talent. He may not be the Ogden we want but hey...if they asked him to come here he cant be THAT bad. It's a new face on our team that is young and has 4 years experience. If anything it's depth and that allows us to address another position in the draft ...or at least push OL a little later.

PapaL
03-08-2007, 06:27 PM
Assuming that the Texans continue with their ZB shemes, this guy is exactly the kind of OLineman who is a mismatch. But he was cheap, and apparently a
reserve for when one of our frontline guys goes down.

That is exactly what this statement yells at me, "Footwork is average. Not light on his feet."

Not light on his feet? Isn't that our #1 prerequisite?

TEXANS84
03-08-2007, 06:28 PM
http://snap.stats.com/stats/nflinfo/playerstats.asp?id=4289&Submit=Go

Victor Riley's worst season's were 11.00 sacks allowed (New Orleans) and 7.00 sacks allowed (Houston).

texasguy346
03-08-2007, 06:37 PM
We got great value with this signing. Rotoworld.com has him signing for 2 years, $3.5 million with $1.2 million being the signing bonus. That's pretty good bang for the buck when you're talking about a guy who could be our starter at one of the OT spots.

Yankee_In_TX
03-08-2007, 06:42 PM
If you read some of the other players we've interviewed, the 2 players who have sounded most enthused about Houston have been Jordan Black and Danny Clark. Clark signed later in the day when he visited and I expect Black to do the same. Ramsey, Reed, and Zgonina liked their visits, but you can tell in their answers that their mind is elsewhere and their going to continue to look elsewhere (or sign elsewhere like Ramsey did).

I still haven't gotten to a post saying he signed and you posted this, you must be psyschic! :)

DocBar
03-08-2007, 06:44 PM
Assets

Flaws

Is it just me or od the assets and flaws contradict each other in a lot of ways??

Porky
03-08-2007, 06:45 PM

First great signing at a reasonable price....again! Excellent pickup! :dance2:

He is at worst good depth, and can also start at any of 4 spots if neccessary. He isn't Ogden, but for the most part won't embarrass himself out there. I don't think he is an even avg LT though. I think he has a chance to start at any of 3 spots, (not LG) but it will be a competition, which is the way it should be.

As to the question, I think it simply adds more flexibility. Black is NOT the answer at LT. He is good insurance there, and nothing more. That way, we aren't forced into taking Levi. But, it also does not mean we won't take him either. It just adds more flexibility into who we take and in what round. Nothing more, nothing less.

All in all, great signing. Keep up the great work, Rick Smith!

TexansLucky13
03-08-2007, 06:48 PM
As I posted in a previous thread, snapstats.com (fairly reliable) reports he allowed 13 sacks last year, and 8 the previous season.

Fabulous. He will fit right in!

Porky
03-08-2007, 06:49 PM
We are not going to use the ZBS exclsively this year. They also plan to run some power type blocking for Green. He fits perfectly well with what we will be doing. Having said that, is he elite? No. But, he is a good signing, and can help this team.

TEXANRED
03-08-2007, 06:52 PM

shhhhhhhhhhh. No need to mention that name.

This is what I found from the Chiefs web site.
http://www.kcchiefs.com/player/jordan_black/

Position Tackle
Height 6-5
Weight 310
Years Experience 5
Birthdate 1/28/1980
Hometown Mesquite, TX
College Notre Dame
Current status Active
Games Started 29
Games Played 48

Pro Career
Versatile fourth-year offensive tackle seeking to solidify a starting spot on the Chiefs offensive line Continues to improve as his role on offense expands Former fifth-round draft pick is the clubs top reserve behind 11-time Pro Bowler Willie Roaf at left tackle Is also a candidate to claim the starting assignment at right tackle for the Chiefs this season after starting four games at that post and six at left tackle in 2005 Instinctive and intelligent performer began last season as the Opening Day starter at right tackle before seamlessly switching to left tackle for an injured Roaf Also has seen game action working at both guard positions in his NFL career Has played in 32 games on special teams and 17 contests (14 starts) on offense during his first three seasons.
Transactions: Signed a one-year contract with Kansas City (4/26/06) ... Signed a three-year contract with Kansas City (7/14/03) ... Selected in the fifth round (153rd overall) of the 2003 NFL Draft by Kansas City.

Games Played/Games Started: 2003 (0/0), 2004 (16/4), 2005 (16/10) 32/14. Playoffs: 2003 (0/0) 0/0.

Saw duty in all 16 games on special teams and started 10 games on the offensive line, six at left tackle and four at right tackle Started the season opener at right tackle, but moved to left tackle after an injury sidelined Willie Roaf vs. the N.Y. Jets (9/11) ... Started his first career game at left tackle in place of Roaf at Oakland (9/18) ... Opened at left tackle at Denver (9/26) and vs. Philadelphia (10/2) ... Started at right tackle vs. Washington (10/16), at Miami (10/21) and at San Diego (10/30) ... Opened at left tackle in place of an injured Roaf vs. Oakland (11/6), at Buffalo (11/13) and at Houston (11/20).
Played in 16 games on special teams and seven contests on offense with four starts at right tackle Played in his first career NFL game on special teams at Denver (9/12) ... Saw duty on special teams vs. Carolina (9/19) and vs. Houston (9/26) ... Recorded a devastating pancake block of LB Ray Lewis working in place of an injured G Brian Waters in a Monday Night Football contest at Baltimore (10/4) ... Saw duty as a reserve at right guard and on special teams vs. Atlanta (10/24) ... Played on special teams vs. Indianapolis (10/31), at Tampa Bay (11/7), at New Orleans (11/14), vs. New England (11/22) and vs. San Diego (11/28) ... Saw his first extensive regular season duty on offense at Oakland (12/5), working at right guard in place of an injured G Will Shields and playing the entire second half at right tackle in place of an injured T Chris Bober Started his first NFL game at right tackle in place of an injured Bober at Tennessee (12/13) ... Opened at right tackle vs. Denver (12/19) and vs. Oakland (12/25) ... Started at San Diego (1/2/05) before leaving the game with a left knee sprain.
Was inactive for all 16 regular season games and the clubs AFC Divisional Playoff Game vs. Indianapolis (1/11/04).
College Bio
Played in 43 games (42 starts) for the Fighting Irish Opened 38 games at left tackle and four contests at right guard Played in 12 games (11 starts) at left tackle as a senior Started all 11 games in his junior season, opening the first seven games of the year at left tackle before shifting to right guard for the final four contests Earned All-Independent first-team honors from Football News and College Football News Started all 11 games at left tackle as a sophomore Was an All-Independent choice of College Football News Started the first nine games of the season at left tackle as a freshman Suffered a torn medial collateral ligament in his right knee vs. Tennessee which caused him to miss the last three games of the year Redshirted as a true freshman Majored in Psychology.
Personal Bio
Earned USA Today honorable mention All-America honors as a senior at Dallas Christian High School in Mesquite, Texas working as both an offensive and defensive tackle.
Helped lead the team to the state private-school titles in 97 and 95.

Was an all-state selection on offense his final three seasons.

Also played fullback in short-yardage situations as a senior, scoring two TDs.

Recorded 100 tackles on defense as a senior.

Scored three TDs working as a FB as a junior and earned all-state accolades at defensive tackle.

Captained the team as both a junior and senior.

Was a three-time all-conference pick.

Selected to play in the Texas-California Shrine All-Star Game.

Earned four letters in basketball and track.

Was a two-time all-conference pick in basketball, helping the team to the state crown as a sophomore and was the MVP of the track team as a freshman and sophomore.

Interested in someday pursuing a career in law enforcement and served as an intern with the Jackson County (Missouri) Sheriffs Department in 2005.

Full name: Brian Jordan Black.

Married, wife Ashlie.

The Blacks reside in Independence, Missouri.

LORK 88
03-08-2007, 07:07 PM
I still haven't gotten to a post saying he signed and you posted this, you must be psyschic! :)
Lol I wish! I just saw what he had to say and it sounded like it was just a matter of time like it was with Clark. I'm glad we signed him, its another positive step in the right direction.

Wharton
03-08-2007, 07:16 PM
I don't know anything about this guy, but I got this off a Chiefs message board. It isn't pretty.

Chiefs Planet (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=159499)

I will say, its a good thing we didn't pay much for him.

Runner
03-08-2007, 07:25 PM
We got great value with this signing. Rotoworld.com has him signing for 2 years, $3.5 million with $1.2 million being the signing bonus. That's pretty good bang for the buck when you're talking about a guy who could be our starter at one of the OT spots.

Ouch. I think this guy should have been closer to the vet minimum. He's younger than Salaam; other than that I don't think he's any better. He started 15 games on a broken down line last year. I guess the Texans have to pay up to get marginal players here, but we already knew that.

Runner
03-08-2007, 07:26 PM
I don't know anything about this guy, but I got this off a Chiefs message board. It isn't pretty.

I-65 - what a nickname.

aj.
03-08-2007, 07:29 PM
Casserly would have given this guy 30 million.

TheRealJoker
03-08-2007, 07:31 PM
I hope he turns into a gem!!!

TEXANRED
03-08-2007, 07:34 PM
I-65 - what a nickname.

The Carlton Video cracked me up.

Yankee_In_TX
03-08-2007, 07:35 PM

Ouch!

David's Busted Carr
03-08-2007, 07:50 PM
FANTASTIC signing! Check this blurb out!

"Texans agreed to terms with T Jordan Black on a two-year, $3.5 million contract. The deal included a $1.2 million signing bonus.

Black is average at best, but is there really that much of a difference between him and Langston Walker? Black can play every position on the line and will provide competition at the tackle spots."

Langston Walker signed for 5 years $25 million including 10 to sign with Buffalo.

We get a comprable player for 2 years $3.5 million!

THAT'S how to get it done for the RIGHT price! Even if they guys busts we're not stuck with some stupid contract.

Thank you Rick! Keep up the good work!

keyfro
03-08-2007, 07:56 PM
the other thing with this signing is that it shows you that the guys in charge are limiting their canidates with the 8th overall pick in the draft...IMO this limits that chances that the pick will be levi brown...signing clark limits the possibility of the team looking to trade down to get patrick willis or paul posluszny...the signing of ahman green shows that they are expecting adrian to be off the board and they probably don't feel confident in a trade scenario where they end up with lynch

keep in mind i did say limit not eliminate

i would guess that the guys they are targetting are:

laron landry
ted ginn jr. (i've mentioned this before how rick smith seems to talk about him more often than not)
amobi okoye
alan branch
gaines adams
leon hall
or chris houston

Texian
03-08-2007, 07:59 PM
It is what it is folks. $3.5 million doesn't get you much. There is a reason they call him I-65 and the human turnstile. He is good backup and depth who can play most positions on the line. That is something that is needed and I can't say it is much more.

phantom17
03-08-2007, 08:06 PM
It is what it is folks. $3.5 million doesn't get you much. There is a reason they call him I-65 and the human turnstile. He is good backup and depth who can play most positions on the line. That is something that is needed and I can't say it is much more.

I like the signing for depth. Who knows, he might flourish here & he's closer to his hometown! And the price looks reasonable. :elmo:

texasguy346
03-08-2007, 08:40 PM
Ouch. I think this guy should have been closer to the vet minimum. He's younger than Salaam; other than that I don't think he's any better. He started 15 games on a broken down line last year. I guess the Texans have to pay up to get marginal players here, but we already knew that.

I think this guy can give us more than Todd Wade ever did, and we saw how CC backed up a dumptruck full of cash to sign him. Black is at worst a 2nd string OT, and could possibly start at RT if Winston is put at RG, or he could be at RG if Winston locks down RT. It's nice to get a young player with mid level talent for a reasonable price for a change. As opposed to paying through the nose for the same player under CC. Gives me confidence in Smith & Kubiak as far as FA goes.

Runner
03-08-2007, 08:46 PM
I think this guy can give us more than Todd Wade ever did, and we saw how CC backed up a dumptruck full of cash to sign him. Black is at worst a 2nd string OT, and could possibly start at RT if Winston is put at RG, or he could be at RG if Winston locks down RT. It's nice to get a young player with mid level talent for a reasonable price for a change. As opposed to paying through the nose for the same player under CC. Gives me confidence in Smith & Kubiak as far as FA goes.

I don't know what CC has to do with this signing. :)

I don't think he's mid level talent. He's worse than average in this league and he only played last year because the Chiefs line was shambles due to injury. Maybe he'll prove me wrong; maybe we'll wonder why they gave him $1.2M guaranteed. I'm leaning to the second.

WaywardTexanFan
03-08-2007, 08:49 PM
We are not going to use the ZBS exclsively this year. They also plan to run some power type blocking for Green. He fits perfectly well with what we will be doing. Having said that, is he elite? No. But, he is a good signing, and can help this team.

Agreed he will add depth and talent to the OLine.

Hervoyel
03-08-2007, 09:01 PM
That could be a huge issue.
But this guy can't be that good, or we couldn't afford him because so many other teams have far more cap space than we do and this is a young, but experienced OT. Teams pay huge contracts/premiums for players like that. Look at the deal the Cowboys gave to Leonard Davis, who might even play guard but no more than RT, definitely not LT from reports.
Lets hope this isn't the second coming of Todd Wade and we sign him, again.

I understand that and see your point. I also think that the offense we are running often makes use of players who aren't exactly perfect fits in more conventional offenses. Perhaps this is one of those situations

thunderkyss
03-08-2007, 09:02 PM
His biggest asset appears to be at guard. We've got Ephraim to play our swing tackle, may even start if Spencer needs a few more weeks.

Signing Black, we can dump Bedell. We can take 7 guys to each game, and have 1 starter, plus one guy to back up either tackle(Salaam) & one guy who can back up either guard, or fill in at tackle if needed.

Bringing 7 OL men, helps, since we will probably carry three RBs, two kickers, and two QBs.

Hottoddie
03-08-2007, 09:19 PM
I hope he turns into a gem!!!

I couldn't agree more. Jewels are gems, right? :winky:

http://forums.houstontexans.com/showthread.php?t=36048

Just 14 more to go. :D

texasguy346
03-08-2007, 09:26 PM
I don't think he's mid level talent. He's worse than average in this league and he only played last year because the Chiefs line was shambles due to injury. Maybe he'll prove me wrong; maybe we'll wonder why they gave him $1.2M guaranteed. I'm leaning to the second.

Maybe we can't agree that on if he's mid level type talent or not, but at least we're not forced to see Brad Bedell as our 2nd string OT anymore.

False Start
03-08-2007, 09:28 PM

I saw that too . Dang ! It does not sound good , but we'll see I guess .

The post I liked the best .......... "R.I.P. David Carr" ...... :heh:

Runner
03-08-2007, 09:28 PM
but at least we're not forced to see Brad Bedell as our 2nd string OT anymore.

I hope so, but Bedell has that Green Bay tie...

TEXANS84
03-08-2007, 10:16 PM

13 sacks allowed last year shouldn't have Chiefs fans at a loss. Pretty much what I expected.

Mr. White
03-08-2007, 11:04 PM

A couple of thoughts...

I remember similar talk on the Jags' board about Salaam last year. While he didn't set the league on fire, he was an invaluable resource to the O-Line. But yeah...I know...even that ain't really sayin' much.

I also think that this signing eliminates the possibility of the Texans drafting Levi Brown at #8.

threetoedpete
03-08-2007, 11:29 PM

Agreed, now they can go out and draft the prety again. Not going to wish the guy ill. Hope it works out.

threetoedpete
03-08-2007, 11:35 PM

Yep that's what I'm thinking. It brings in all the moves stand pat take BPA, Move down, or move up. With or with out Spencer they are two deep at the tackle spots.

Texans Horror
03-09-2007, 12:04 AM
Hallelujah, the Texans have another turnstile! I was wondering when this would happen. It has become a tradition for the Texans to sign a turnstile journeyman left tackle. So far, this experiment has failed two years in a row, but I'm sure this year will be different!

Riley...Salaam...Black...

:sarcasm:

Runner
03-09-2007, 12:08 AM
Hallelujah, the Texans have another turnstile! I was wondering when this would happen. It has become a tradition for the Texans to sign a turnstile journeyman left tackle. So far, this experiment has failed two years in a row, but I'm sure this year will be different!

Riley...Salaam...Black...

You need to read all of the posts from tonight. In my ignorance I thought the same thing, but now I've been educated enough to understand that the recent signing has eliminated the need for us to invest a draft pick in a left tackle. And at a great price! The Texans were lucky to jump to the head of the line of people wanting Black.

Double :sarcasm:

run-david-run
03-09-2007, 12:53 AM
Its funny...people complain we dont have depth on the O-line, then we sign a player who was a strarter on a pretty good offensive team for a very good price, and eveyone complains. I dont know if this will turn out to be a great value, a bust, or an average signing. But I don know that the more capable players we have on the OL, the better.

cj5776
03-09-2007, 02:06 AM
Its funny...people complain we dont have depth on the O-line, then we sign a player who was a strarter on a pretty good offensive team for a very good price, and eveyone complains. I dont know if this will turn out to be a great value, a bust, or an average signing. But I don know that the more capable players we have on the OL, the better.

Just wanted to knock out the two names that I know people will want to use, but niether one is even close...

PBuc- The raiders thought he sucked just as much, but no draft picks are leaving

VRiley- The guy never started at LT before he came to Houston, he sucked as a RT starter

Worse case, Black is the swing while Salaam starts and Black could be GROOMED to be the swing reserve tackle

cj5776
03-09-2007, 02:12 AM

Just wanted to give some props to Lork, I did not buy the enthused line but it looks like Lork was on the $$$

michaelm
03-09-2007, 03:16 AM
You find both good and bad about Jordan Black.

Assets

Flaws

Jordan seems to play best as a guard but is average as a tackle. He is at worst depth on the OLine.

I'm not even going to read the rest of this thread before I ask... are you kidding me?
ANY player good enough to start on the Chiefs OL is immediately good enough to start for us AT ANY OL POSITION...
Seriously... if he was a LT starter for KC, he is instantaneously a starter at LT for us if they so choose. You have completely forgotten which team he has signed with in your otherwise accurate assesment...

michaelm
03-09-2007, 03:18 AM
Assets

Flaws

Good lord, stop with the assets and flaws... he started for KC, so he is as good or better than any other OL we have, and that's about as "in depth" as you need to get...

Sorry, I seem to have responded to your post twice, but I will leave this response because it is accurate, IMO...

Scooter
03-09-2007, 03:37 AM
he cant possibly be worse than salaam, so this is a good signing for me. we have zero depth (bedell, salaam, mckinney ... ouch) and kubiak likes players who can fill many roles. i really didnt pay a lot of attention to black, but i know full well that there's a LOT of movement on the chiefs' offensive line in the run game. that might fit into more of what sherman wants to do, especially in setting up screens (something our guys are pitiful at). the chiefs fans' reaction worries me a little, but hell when you're used to willie roaf and will shields and john tait and brian waters and many other good & great linemen year in and year out, you get spoiled. if they'd been playing victor riley and ephraim salaam and todd wade, they'd be cheering for black as atleast a backup.

Runner
03-09-2007, 06:31 AM
ANY player good enough to start on the Chiefs OL is immediately good enough to start for us AT ANY OL POSITION...
Seriously... if he was a LT starter for KC, he is instantaneously a starter at LT for us if they so choose.

This isn't a very good way to evaluate talent. Watching him play may lead to a different conclusion. There were a series of factors (mostly bad) that resulted in him starting at KC.

If KC is so good with o-lineman, it may also give one pause to wonder why they didn't try to keep him.

threetoedpete
03-09-2007, 06:49 AM
This isn't a very good way to evaluate talent. Watching him play may lead to a different conclusion. There were a series of factors (mostly bad) that resulted in him starting at KC.

If KC is so good with o-lineman, it may also give one pause to wonder why they didn't try to keep him.

You can try runner. But everyone has their own personal agenda. Myself I'll wait untill granny pulls the pudding from the oven. (just so I can help folks not to waiste brain cells....i.e. the proof is in the pudding). We already got folks argueing that this is an up grade at right gaurd in disguise. Too funny. What I find comical...it's eriely simular to this...

http://forums.houstontexans.com/showthread.php?t=9245&highlight=Victor+Riley

"The whole goal is when it comes time to play we end up with the best five guys that give us the best chance to have a good offense."

The Texans signed Riley, an unrestricted free agent from New Orleans, last week. Riley has 85 starts under his belt over seven seasons, all of them at right tackle. Todd Wade is firmly entrenched at that position. But Riley played left tackle in college and might push Wand there.

"We’ll have to wait and see," Capers said. "He’s a big guy. He has played right tackle. We’re working him some at guard right now. It probably just depends on how fast he picks up the system and what kind of condition he gets in. We really won’t know until we get into training camp."

http://forums.houstontexans.com/showthread.php?t=9110&highlight=Victor+Riley

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasguy346
I think Vinny hit the nail on the head when he said that Riley is more likely to fill Spears' role this season. He might be able to play RG if he's pressed into action due to injury, but I think he's got a legitimate shot at making the roster. I doubt he'll be the starter though.

Hey guys Victor Riley is a stud. He has size, power he is a great run blocker. He will make the team and probably be a starter somewhere on the line. Capers likes to run the ball and Victor Riley is his type of blocker. I would say he is the best FA OL availible. I am stoked that we got him. This tells me that we are gearing up for a major push towards the playoffs.

somebody should of exucuted him alright. Nice post on there btw beerlover. Good call.

not tring to beat anyone down. Just saying. Let's see what happens before we all get worked up again. Same with Erick Winston, let's see what happens. It was good signing. Black ain't Orlando Pace...in any system. But since they were one injury away from a street FA having to play there, and the price was correct, I'll take it. If he beats out Salaam, I'll be happy. If he has to come in for Erick in a pinch and holds his own I'll be happy. BUT, they move up and take Joe Thomas....that's my utopia. Has been since Bosselli anounced he couldn't go.

Runner
03-09-2007, 07:02 AM
BUT, they move up and take Joe Thomas....that's my utopia. Has been since Bosselli anounced he couldn't go.

If they acquire a starting level tackle though further free agency moves or the draft, then they'd have 4 tackles (Winston, Salaam, Black, new player but excluding Bedell as cut) on a roster that carried three last year. 5 tackles if you count Spencer as healed and ready to go. Either:

a) they learned a lesson and will carry four tackles
b) they'll cut Salaam and/or Black
c) they still love the "jack of all trades, master of none" swing lineman
d) they have no intention of making further tackle moves

It would be disturbing if the signing of Black really does indicate they are done making tackle moves.

threetoedpete
03-09-2007, 07:12 AM
If they acquire a starting level tackle though further free agency moves or the draft, then they'd have 4 tackles (Winston, Salaam, Black, new player but excluding Bedell as cut) on a roster that carried three last year. 5 tackles if you count Spencer has healed and ready to go. Either:

a) they learned a lesson and will carry four tackles
b) they'll cut Salaam and/or Black
c) they still love the "jack of all trades, master of none" swing lineman
d) they have no intention of making further tackle moves

It would be disturbing if the signing of Black really does indicate they are done making tackle moves.

No illusions here runner. I'm seeing the writing on the wall alright. I think my Bosselli like OLT wet dream will have to wait untill next year...as it has waited for three consecutive drafts. Agreed, they won't carry a hoard of tackles. Do they have the cajones, with all of the tallent at the top of the board to finally get the deal done ? Did it last year. Matt Millon convinced he an get good tallent at the eight slot...maybe. Found an intersting thread in the archives....the point of no return on the o-line.

http://forums.houstontexans.com/showthread.php?t=13239&highlight=Ryan+Tucker
http://forums.houstontexans.com/showthread.php?t=9245&highlight=Victor+Riley

here's another one look familar ?

Let's do this mental exercise then. Throw out the 2005 season as if it never happened - no Riley, no players losing confidence in the coaching (or whatever happened), no further regression in many facets of the offensive game, no catastrophic change in the offensive game plan, we had a successful offense for half of the year, etc.

If we had gotten this coaching staff and picked up Flanagan under those conditions, what would we be predicting for our:

a) o-line personnel specifically
b) offense in general - running and passing

No fair using 2005 evidence - it is fairly useless evidence in player evaluation given how the problems compounded each other.

Under those conditions I would probably just have substituted Flanagan for McKinney and drafted a tackle to hopefully replace Wade if he didn't improve from his 2004 performance. I would also have expected the coaches to improve the "team game" of the offensive line to make the players make each other better. (i.e. have the LG help the LT against elite defensive ends).

more things change the more they stay the same.

http://forums.houstontexans.com/showthread.php?t=22477&highlight=Victor+Riley

aj.
03-09-2007, 07:25 AM
The context of Black's release is worth noting. If it's already been posted, here's a refresher.

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/16829364.htm

whiskeyrbl
03-09-2007, 07:34 AM
Man this board is a trip!!! It seems that no matter what the Texans do, there are some that just won't accept the fact that you have to take small steps sometimes to build a winner. I suppose the saying you can't please everybody all the time should be our staple signature around here. IMO this is a GOOD signing. The man has NFL experience, can play multiple OL positions, and came fairly cheap, not to mention he is still reasonably young. We are not a team that can pay $80 mill for Clements and say we are ready, or $65 mill for Kearney. We are damaged goods in array thanks to stupid moves by CC & Comp. Our current FO has been taking out the trash and yes it has cost (with the dead money) however it did take the dead meat off our field. And yes we all knew it would take a couple of years to right the wrongs of the previous regime. Well ladies and gentlemen they are doing it and I think they are doing it well. Good signing and keep up the good work Rick.:victory:

threetoedpete
03-09-2007, 08:04 AM
Man this board is a trip!!! It seems that no matter what the Texans do, there are some that just won't accept the fact that you have to take small steps sometimes to build a winner. I suppose the saying you can't please everybody all the time should be our staple signature around here. IMO this is a GOOD signing. The man has NFL experience, can play multiple OL positions, and came fairly cheap, not to mention he is still reasonably young. We are not a team that can pay $80 mill for Clements and say we are ready, or $65 mill for Kearney. We are damaged goods in array thanks to stupid moves by CC & Comp. Our current FO has been taking out the trash and yes it has cost (with the dead money) however it did take the dead meat off our field. And yes we all knew it would take a couple of years to right the wrongs of the previous regime. Well ladies and gentlemen they are doing it and I think they are doing it well. Good signing and keep up the good work Rick.:victory:

Everything you said is true. However, when you get stuff like this on the thread,

but i know full well that there's a LOT of movement on the chiefs' offensive line in the run game. that might fit into more of what sherman wants to do,

or this:
His biggest asset appears to be at guard

and it reminds me of ghots of signings past, ( for those with few brain cells to loose reference of Dickens' "A Christmass Carrol"),

But Riley played left tackle in college and might push Wand there.

I gotta pull the reins ...hard.

It does not sove the problem. The six year old problem. They may well go to war with what they have and I'm not argueing that it is a bad signing...Yeah I'm gung ho too ...but tempered with a little bit of skeptisim. I've earned it I beilieve. Does Black and Green put them into top ten offense range ? NOPE

Silver Oak
03-09-2007, 08:09 AM

Hello nail....meet hammer!

Perfect post whisky. It's almost as if fans of other NFL teams post here to stir up trouble/discontent.

:logo:

threetoedpete
03-09-2007, 08:20 AM
guess I'll be following Levi's career w/another team :crying:

this tells me a couple things. 1st Spencer is doing extremely well rehabing & two Jordan can add depth & give time for him to return 100%. seems like a sound plan, at least on paper :)

Yep same ol same ol. Always next year though.

threetoedpete
03-09-2007, 08:26 AM

Perfect post whisky. It's almost as if fans of other NFL teams post here to stir up trouble/discontent.

Obviously, the Chiefs determined McIntosh, who played the last three seasons for Miami, was their best left tackle option and offered them a good chance to stabilize the most important position on the offensive line.

My bad for pointing out the obvious.
a concise history:

jordan black here in KC is hated, most believe he cost the team a playoff chance, they got in the playoffs on a fluke, but offense could not perform against top caliber teams. jordan black was 3rd string until willie roaf retired, he was 2nd string right tackle after that. they had to bring in kyle turley (overage, underweight) to fill the spot cuz black couldnt cut it. we dont need jordan black. havent we learned allready not to take KC's throwaways?

http://forums.houstontexans.com/showthread.php?t=36325&page=2

Texans Horror
03-09-2007, 08:47 AM
It won't take much to make me happy. If Joe Thomas fell to number eight (yeah, right) I would be ecstatic and tell you he's the one to get, no matter who else is on the board. If the Texans drafted a few of the mid-round tackles like Doug Free or Joe Staley, people who seem to fit into the ZBS, then I would be happy. If the Texans were able to wrestle Denver's LT, again I would be elated.

But if they take another tackle who is despised by that team for his inability to play, I am not going to be too thrilled about the pick. If he does not seem to fit the ZBS (heavy, not fast), I am going to feel like it was a lame move. If they say he's the starter, I'm going to be mad. If they pay him big dough to be a back-up, I'm going to be confused.

There you go. That's the way I'm feeling about this signing: not thrilled, think its lame, a little mad, and pretty confused.

HoustonTexansRuleMYRule
03-09-2007, 09:00 AM

i like what this guy says in blue.
Vince Young is our enemy and we must win to them this next season.
I like the though of having a 310 pound offensive tackle on our side. This is going to be an AWESOME SEASON!
:yahoo:

HuttoKarl
03-09-2007, 09:17 AM

I've resigned to the fact that some people here are going to complain no matter what move we make. I sometimes think certain people would complain if Houston signed them to a grossly inflated contract...WAAAHHHH!!!!! I want more guaranteed moneeeeeeeeyyyyyy!!!!

I noticed in a scouting report that Black is solid blocking in the zone....hmmm....sounds like the kind of guy we need.

thunderkyss
03-09-2007, 10:07 AM
and it reminds me of ghots of signings past, ( for those with few brain cells to loose reference of Dickens' "A Christmass Carrol"),

In case you guys need another example of irony.

:joker:

thunderkyss
03-09-2007, 10:10 AM
It won't take much to make me happy. If the Texans were able to wrestle Denver's LT, again I would be elated.

You mean the undrafted FA from 2005??

But if they take another tackle who is despised by that team for his inability to play, I am not going to be too thrilled about the pick. If he does not seem to fit the ZBS (heavy, not fast), I am going to feel like it was a lame move. If they say he's the starter, I'm going to be mad. If they pay him big dough to be a back-up, I'm going to be confused.

There you go. That's the way I'm feeling about this signing: not thrilled, think its lame, a little mad, and pretty confused.

Makes perfect sense to me.

El Tejano
03-09-2007, 10:30 AM
They even mentioned that Shawn Barber is coming for a visit. Barber and Ryans is a very nice combo.

HuttoKarl
03-09-2007, 10:33 AM
They even mentioned that Shawn Barber is coming for a visit. Barber and Ryans is a very nice combo.

Who's "they"???

I don't know a lot about Barber...his numbers didn't really blow me out of the water, but looking at stats, he didn't seem to be a full time starter.

any info?

ArlingtonTexan
03-09-2007, 10:49 AM
Who's "they"???

I don't know a lot about Barber...his numbers didn't really blow me out of the water, but looking at stats, he didn't seem to be a full time starter.

any info?

The they is the chron. Barber is a back-up at this point in his career. Anyone excited about the prospect is remember him from about 3-5 years back when he was a good starter.

threetoedpete
03-09-2007, 11:02 AM
In case you guys need another example of irony.

:joker:

the only irony in here today is selecting another fifth rounder, sticking him in at a gaurd slot, and thinking everything is going to be ok. Someone is indeed a joker.

thunderkyss
03-09-2007, 11:08 AM
the only irony in here today is selecting another fifth rounder, sticking him in at a gaurd slot, and thinking everything is going to be ok. Someone is indeed a joker.

I totally agree with your take on J.Black. You're preaching to the choir on this one.

El Tejano
03-09-2007, 11:31 AM
The they is the chron. Barber is a back-up at this point in his career. Anyone excited about the prospect is remember him from about 3-5 years back when he was a good starter.

Well we don't have any good backups and that is one dude I would like to see here regardless.

HuttoKarl
03-09-2007, 11:33 AM
Well we don't have any good backups and that is one dude I would like to see here regardless.

But you're not one to complain about every single move. I guarantee some of these people have Pro-Bowlers everywhere on their Madden teams. Anything less is never good enough.

real
03-09-2007, 11:39 AM

Not one starter on our line was selected after the third round...

Meloy
03-09-2007, 11:56 AM
After reading all posts and listening to 610 I am now of the opinion that treading water beats the heck out of drowning, but does it get you closer to shore? We will see.

Crazyhorse
03-09-2007, 12:00 PM
Black's signing is a real positive step to solidify the o-line. Now that gives us two young healthy tackles in Black and Winston, With Salaam to back up and allows Spencer time to heal if necessary. With Spencers return we actually get depth in the o-line and that is fabulous. This could lead to some real competition in this area and that will only make us better!!!!!!

threetoedpete
03-09-2007, 12:09 PM
Not one starter on our line was selected after the third round...

We'll that's twenty percent. Maybe in a few more drafts we'll feild an effective o-line. I'm just wondering how many QBs they're going to wade through befor we get "there" . One QB down...how many more to go ? Eventually, I have no doubt that the throwing the dart blind folded system will work. They will hit the mark on all five.

Runner
03-09-2007, 12:11 PM
In case I'm one of the guys that "complains about everything"

I posted I was happy with the Green signing. I've not formed an opinion nor posted one way or another about Clark. I don't like the Black signing.

I look at each player as they come.

However, I did complain about the Victor Riley deal too. Same types of arguments.

threetoedpete
03-09-2007, 12:11 PM
After reading all posts and listening to 610 I am now of the opinion that treading water beats the heck out of drowning, but does it get you closer to shore? We will see.

You just posted a cotton pickin' mouth full right there.

Sportsfan
03-09-2007, 12:25 PM
Where do you guys rank Jordan Black among the top O-Tackles currently playing in the NFL ?

Runner
03-09-2007, 12:32 PM
Where do you guys rank Jordan Black among the top O-Tackles currently playing in the NFL ?

Before or after he became a Texan? That has a big effect on perception.

I don't think he ranks anywhere near "top O-Tackles".

I put him below average compared to the backups in the league.

Vinny
03-09-2007, 12:34 PM
Where do you guys rank Jordan Black among the top O-Tackles currently playing in the NFL ?probably a nice "swing tackle" and can start in a pinch...but may not be someone you want in ideally.

threetoedpete
03-09-2007, 12:37 PM

He's a back up. He's insurance for Salaam if Spencer doesn't make it back. Er check that, he's cheap insurance incase Spencer doesn't make it back. Let's put it this way, since I'm going out of my way not to trash a new guy...If he's starting for us, it wouldn't be prudent to put down the title of the family farm on the game. Got it ?

Spled
03-09-2007, 01:29 PM
He started all 16 games with KC last season.

Sportsfan
03-09-2007, 02:12 PM
Before or after he became a Texan? That has a big effect on perception.

I don't think he ranks anywhere near "top O-Tackles".

I put him below average compared to the backups in the league.

Wow, if thats accurate then Channel 13's Bob Allen went a bit overboard on last night's news. He basically said he will start if Spencer is still out and its a "major" upgrade to our line. I guess everthing is relative though...

Runner
03-09-2007, 04:37 PM
He started all 16 games with KC last season.

15 I think, but only after all of their other options had season ending injuries. He is back-up quality. If he starts a lot of games expect to see the usual performance from the Texans offensive line.

keyfro
03-09-2007, 05:02 PM
Sportsfan Where do you guys rank Jordan Black among the top O-Tackles currently playing in the NFL ?

jordon black is probably comparable to anthony clement or mike gandy to be honest with you...the only difference is that both of those guys are pushing or over 30 and probably fit better at the guard position...black is more suited IMO to play one of the tackle positions...kinda like how zach wiegert was...better at RT than at RG...he has a nice mix of size and strength...he's a much better run blocker than he is a pass pro guy...if spencer is healthy by training camp i see him playing LT for us on opening day until spencer is healthy again...then i see him becoming the swing tackle for us

thunderkyss
03-09-2007, 05:39 PM

Stop right there. This is not in anyway, the Texans trying to sign a top ranked O-Tackle. This is the Texans signing a 4 year player at a position we lack depth at.

Will he start?? Maybe.. Will he be on this team in September?? Maybe not.

Let's say Kubiak has his eye on a LT or two in this years draft. Say Levi Brown. But he understands there are better players to be had with the 8th pick. He'd like to trade down, but only if he can get Brown, because we need to do something with that position.

At this point in his career, Kubiak may see J.Black on the same level with L.Brown. Neither of them are where Kubiak thinks they should be. They both have the ability to get there. Both would probably play as well starting from day one. Not bad... not good... but reasonably well, with room for improvement.

With signing J.Black, we can now make that trade down, and not "have to" get Brown.

If we make that trade.... and get Brown. Great. we can start a rookie who'll probably play like a rookie if we were to start him.

If we make that trade... and don't get Brown, and Spencer is healthy, Great. We can start a 2nd year player, who'll play like a rookie, because he was hurt most of last year.

If we make that trade... don't get Brown, and Spencer is not healthy, Great. We'll start Salaam, who'll play better than either rookie for 4 or 5 games. Spencer will be ready, and we're back to where we were with the previous scenario. Or.. Black can come in & play like that rookie/2nd year player would have, because it took him 4 years to get to that level. Salaam can take two, maybe three weeks off to get "healthy" and come back for another 3 or 4 game stretch.

You do not under any circumstance get a Left Tackle through FA. He will cost too much money, and not be worth it, or he'll cost too much money.... Period.

We can draft our left tackles & teach them to play the way we want them to.

We need a left tackle, but we don't have the money to overpay one right now anyway, if we wanted to overpay one. & the situation isn't as dire as many here would like to suggest.

thunderkyss
03-09-2007, 05:41 PM
15 I think, but only after all of their other options had season ending injuries. He is back-up quality. If he starts a lot of games expect to see the usual performance from the Texans offensive line.

The way I understood it, He started at Right tackle, then replaced Kyle Turley at Left Tackle.

HuttoKarl
03-09-2007, 05:46 PM
Tony Ugoh or Joe Staley could still end up in Houston if we don't go with Levi Brown.

Keldar
03-09-2007, 06:01 PM
Is he better than Wand and Weigart?

keyfro
03-09-2007, 06:42 PM
right now i would say he's better than zach wiegert...i personally didn't have a problem with seth wand here...my thoughts were that pendry and capers gave up on him way too quick after one season where he was starting a season early...i think they really screwed wand up when they did that...i think had they stuck with him instead of going with victor riley they probably would have been alright...atleast no worse than they were...and i think he's confidence was so screwed up that sherman didn't think he could get him out of his funk that quickly

so for those of ya'll who are going he's getting off topic i believe jordon black is better than both the tackles wand and wiegert

overdogg
03-09-2007, 07:52 PM
i can't believe that there isn't more excitement over the texans signing a player who had double-digit sacks last year...

oh, it seems he 'gave up' double digit sacks....nevermind

Texan_Aggie222
03-09-2007, 08:34 PM
This is the one guy I hoped we signed this offseason.

He is verstile, young, and inexpensive. What more do you want? No, he is not the answer to our offensive line and no he is not the missing peice, but he immediately adds depth and gives us a true option to go to if Spencer does not return on time. I can now go to sleep at night and dream a little sweater dreams now that we have Black.

thunderkyss
03-10-2007, 10:07 AM
I'm lurking on a Raider board... seems like they believe they offered Black a better deal, but he chose to sign with us, for less money.

I don't know if that's true or not, but a couple of the guys are a little peeved about it.

aj.
03-10-2007, 10:14 AM
I'm lurking on a Raider board... seems like they believe they offered Black a better deal, but he chose to sign with us, for less money.

I don't know if that's true or not...

It's true. Black's agent said that after he was signed. Black wanted to play in Texas - his home state. Plus, who in their right mind would really want to play for the Raiders anyway?

WaywardTexanFan
03-10-2007, 10:21 AM
Black seems to know whats important: It's not always about the money, play in a place that makes you happy.

Runner
03-10-2007, 10:44 AM

I don't know if that's true or not, but a couple of the guys are a little peeved about it.

More guaranteed, more total, both, over how many years? More guaranteed is worth more than another year.

thunderkyss
03-10-2007, 11:22 AM
More guaranteed, more total, both, over how many years? More guarnateed is worth more than another year.

well we offered him next to nothing in Guaranteed money...

Our deal isn't really any good... not for a starter.

Not that I'm saying he is or should be a starter.

Rusk
03-10-2007, 03:48 PM
I may be biased since I've known Jordan since 6th grade, but he is a little better player than many on this thread make him out to be, and he could provide a starting spot somewhere on the line. He learned to play both guard spots and both tackle spots for Kansas City, and he also played on the line in the kicking game.

No, he is not an elite talent, but he is not garbage either. He's a little above average.

He did get an offer from Oakland, but he did not want to live in California. His parents are still in Dallas, his sister is getting married and will be in East Texas soon, and his wife's family is from Dallas, and I think still there.

He was a 4 year starting tackle for Notre Dame, he was a starting tackle in Kansas City, and not just by default like some claim in this thread, and he can be a starter in Houston.

He won't be the best in the league, but he will help Houston get better.

Being back in Texas and probably a little happier being closer to home should also help motivate him as well.

Someone on this thread claimed he's a turnstile "journeyman" OL. I find that hard to figure out since he's only ever been a Chief until now...

Give the kid a chance before you pile on the guy.

I would have posted this earlier, but it takes forever to get approved to post here.

aj.
03-10-2007, 03:57 PM
As far as piling on, most people here really know nothing about him and were just reacting to the KC fans (and media) assessment of the guy.

We heard similar stuff about Salaam last year and he proved to be a most viable backup and spot starter.

BradK10
03-10-2007, 04:19 PM
Hi Rusk!

Rusk
03-10-2007, 04:21 PM
haha, it took me a minute to realize who you were...

wassup!

WaywardTexanFan
03-10-2007, 05:20 PM
Thanks for the low down on Jordan. I have watched him in the KC games and I believe that he will add value to our O-Line.