PDA

View Full Version : Charles Spencer Update

nunusguy
03-07-2007, 07:12 PM
Spencer was interviewed by Tim Melton and basically made a statement about his condition: he's rehabing, making progress, and expects to be at
Summer training camp. Great News !
He went on to say he resented the story that appeared in the Chron awhile
back about his career being over.
Nobody else caught this ?

Trap_Star
03-07-2007, 07:14 PM
:yahoo:

I hope he has a pro-bowl year!!...

NEROtheZERO
03-07-2007, 07:16 PM
Everyone says that. DD said that last year. I'll stick with believing Zerlein's report that best case scenario has Spencer back sometime during the preseason, worst case scenario has him on the PUP to start the season (similar to Wong's situation last season.)

Ole Miss Texan
03-07-2007, 07:17 PM
That's great he was on tv...I hope he's right and he's good by camp...A healthy spencer would be such a big help for this team.

Runner
03-07-2007, 07:18 PM
I am very interested to see how this plays out. The various conflicitng statements are so far apart I don't know what to believe.

uhcougar08
03-07-2007, 07:23 PM
I am very interested to see how this plays out. The various conflicitng statements are so far apart I don't know what to believe.

He just told you what was going on. Why do you not believe him?

Ole Miss Texan
Spencer was interviewed by Tim Melton and basically made a statement about his condition: he's rehabing, making progress, and expects to be at

I hope he just won't be at training camp but will be fully healed by then and participate in them and work out!

infantrycak
I'll stick with believing Zerlein's report that best case scenario has Spencer back sometime during the preseason, worst case scenario has him on the PUP to start the season (similar to Wong's situation last season.)

Cuz, Zerlein is a doctor and has more information than any other fan. Gotcha.

Sure there is hype out there at times, but there is no reason to assume every team and every player is lying every time.

nunusguy
03-07-2007, 07:24 PM
That's great he was on tv...I hope he's right and he's good by camp...A healthy spencer would be such a big help for this team.

Absolutely ! Nothing is guaranteed, but to my knowledge this is the first time
Spencer has personally made a public statement in the media, and its significant for him to do that IMO. Is he out of the woods ? Of course not,
but this is encouraging.
This guy is a starter and even a star for us somewhere in the OLine when and if he recovers.

Sportsfan
03-07-2007, 07:31 PM
Awesome. This guy is a potential All-Pro. I hope Big Nasty makes it back.

Runner
03-07-2007, 07:32 PM

Let's see.

He's rehabing. Good.

He's making progress. Good.

He expects to be at camp. Good. But doing what?

He resents the story. Good. He's a fighter.

Did he say he was healthy? Did he say he was 100%? 90%? Does he weigh 330? 360?

I didn't hear the interview so I don't know. I guess his statements could mean he's better than ever. Maybe they mean he hasn't fully recovered yet. I don't know what to believe - maybe I just need more facts and don't intuitively know the truth. I may be a little slow that way.

NEROtheZERO
03-07-2007, 07:38 PM
Cuz, Zerlein is a doctor and has more information than any other fan. Gotcha.

Sure there is hype out there at times, but there is no reason to assume every team and every player is lying every time.

Cuz Zerlein is a reporter that is above football speak. I want Spencer back as well as anyone but blind optimism is a set up for disappointment. According to all sources, save one sensationalist headline, Spencer will be back and starting sometime in 2008. Beyond that, there is nothing definitive, including a general statement such as, "he's rehabing, making progress, and expects to be at Summer training camp."

freedoggy77
03-07-2007, 08:18 PM
I really hope that Charles Spencer comes back in good form. That way we don't have to worry about an OT in the draft and can focus on defense. Hopefully we could get Ryan Kalil though.

Stampede
03-07-2007, 08:20 PM
He said he did'nt mind the Texans going after other O linemen. Said that he plans to fight to win back his starting position. Did you guys hear the woo hoo from Alvin?...umm, that was me. :)

keyfro
03-07-2007, 08:26 PM
hey the kid is great...i hope the best for him...i hope that he's ready by training camp but i would absolutely hate for him to be too worried about losing his job by coming back too early and re-injurying himself...so charles "big nasty" spencer get back as soon as you can but make sure you're ready to go 100 mph when you do

Texan_Aggie222
03-07-2007, 09:21 PM
I am glad to see he thinks he will be back for training camp, but will he be really ready to practice and play? He is not out of the woods yet, he still has a long way to go before he is fully recovered. I beleive we should draft Levi Brown to play left tackle for us, and move Spencer to right tackle, if he is fully recovered. We also should have another player who can step in and play right tackle if he is not ready. Whether thats Winston or Salaam I don't know, but you always need to prepar for the worst case scenerio.

TexanSam
03-07-2007, 09:25 PM
I'd still love the Texans to draft Levi Brown. You can never have a shortage of offensive linemen. Move Spencer to RT or wherever the Texans feel he best fits and have Brown be the LT. A line of:

LT- Levi Brown
LG- Chester Pitts
C- McKinney/Weary
RG- Eric Winston
RT- Spencer

I think that would be the makings of a very good line!

Hervoyel
03-07-2007, 09:36 PM

Last time I heard this many different versions of the same story about a LT his name was Tony Boselli.

Yeah, I know we're not supposed to say that name. I don't care. That experience taught me to be very skeptical of anything that comes out of the Houston Texans regarding injuries.

In my own mind I have to think that he's not coming back until I see him run out on the field and play a few snaps. Being a Texans fan though I can't help but want to believe that this is going to happen and that Spencer will be fine. The position has been so unlucky and we could really use some good news there.

Charter PSL Fan
03-07-2007, 09:39 PM
I don't believe a word those so called reporters on 610 (esp Rich Lord) or what most of the Chronicle writers say/write. This includes that wimp Bob Allen on ch 13. They say what they think their followers want to hear. I don't respect their opinions at all. Maybe John McLain sometimes.

keyfro
03-07-2007, 10:39 PM
the thing here is you take spencer at his word and you take it for what it is...this is a young guy who all he's heard the past few months is that his career is over and that his head coach isn't going to hold his breath to see if he comes through...he knows the franchise is going to draft another young tackle somewhere in the draft...and that he's gonna have a fight ahead of him...so he goes on tv to tell the city that he's coming back ready for a fight...this is the best attitude the kid can have right now...whether it's actually going to happen or not is yet to be seen but so far he has the right attitude and from what i've heard he's keeping his weight in check...supposedly he's around 330lbs

Insideop
03-07-2007, 10:45 PM
I really hope that Charles Spencer comes back in good form. That way we don't have to worry about an OT in the draft and can focus on defense. Hopefully we could get Ryan Kalil though.

Hold your horses freedoggy! :cowboy1: The last time Kubes trusted what a player had to say about his condition (see DD/DW) he got burned and was left trying to find RB's for the season. He tried to trade up late in the 1st to get a RB (don't think Bush was what he wanted) and couldn't do it. He drafted Lundy in the 5th and picked up Taylor as a UFA, and got Dayne off the scrap heap.

Anyway, I don't think Kubes and Smith will take that kind of a chance this time based on what they've said about not waiting on a player. I think they will pick an O-lineman (probably LT) on the 1st day of the draft, and probably another one on the next day. JMHO!

Marcus
03-07-2007, 10:57 PM
Yeah, I saw and heard what Spencer said on Ch. 13 tonight. So what?

All I know is that anytime Kubiak has mentioned Spencer, he's been real sceptical about his return. He's hopeful, but he's not counting on it, and will plan as if he won't come back.

Which is the smart thing to do.

South Texan
03-08-2007, 12:07 AM
Kubiak made it very clear last year he is not counting on ANYONE coming back from a serious injury. I am thinking they will go for Levi in round one, and if Spencer makes it back it is a huge plus for us.

TexanBacker93
03-08-2007, 12:23 AM
Everyone says that. DD said that last year. I'll stick with believing Zerlein's report that best case scenario has Spencer back sometime during the preseason, worst case scenario has him on the PUP to start the season (similar to Wong's situation last season.)

One difference being that DD's injury won't ever fully heal. He needs to learn to play with pain or never play again. Spencer had a fracture in his tibia. Granted, it was in a horrible spot, but if he heals I can't see why he won't be back at the beginning of the season.

Malloy
03-08-2007, 03:51 AM

Something called spin?

ToroRojo
03-08-2007, 09:06 AM
I think Kubiak is just preparing for the worst. It sounds as if the worst has probably been avoided. If his cartilage retained enough blood flow, he should return to full strenght in time. I do recall the article and thought it to be sensationalistic and irresponsible. Looking back, I wish I would have written the Chronicle in response. I am really pulling for Charles.

Mr teX
03-08-2007, 09:10 AM

Exactly & yeah i caught it last night but it is the eqiuivalent of DC saying that "things are going to be different this year for me & us." It means nothing at this point, he's just trying to keep a roster spot for himself.

NEROtheZERO
03-08-2007, 09:28 AM
One difference being that DD's injury won't ever fully heal. He needs to learn to play with pain or never play again. Spencer had a fracture in his tibia. Granted, it was in a horrible spot, but if he heals I can't see why he won't be back at the beginning of the season.

I understand the differences, but the similiarity in both situation is the old cliche, "actions speak louder than words." What Spencer said is mere optimism, I'd rather take in accounts from a solid reporter who has spoke to doctors and team officials.

trutxn
03-08-2007, 03:01 PM

The media makes sh.. up for a story and players always lie about their health. It's in our best interest as fans to believe none of them and see for ourselves when the time comes.

dirty steve
03-08-2007, 03:02 PM
I understand the differences, but the similiarity in both situation is the old cliche, "actions speak louder than words." What Spencer said is mere optimism, I'd rather take in accounts from a solid reporter who has spoke to doctors and team officials.
so spencer hasnt heard from the same doctors about HIS knee?

texans83
03-08-2007, 03:12 PM
Spencer is going to say what the fans what him to say, he isent going to go up there and say oh well you know its not lookin gto good. Come on man. DD said the exact same thing last year it called DENIAL and im not saying spencer has it but its something to consider. Kubes is planning no return from spencer and that is a great thing. I hope he does come back and does well but we just cant relie on him too.

real
03-08-2007, 03:14 PM
Kubes is planning no return from spencer and that is a great thing.

Wow....

Someone with inside scoop on Kubiak and the teams thoughts...

Any other top secret info you'd like to share ?

texans83
03-08-2007, 03:16 PM
Wow....

Someone with inside scoop on Kubiak and the teams thoughts...

Any other top secret info you'd like to share ?

hmmm maybe???

NEROtheZERO
03-08-2007, 03:16 PM
so spencer hasnt heard from the same doctors about HIS knee?

I'm sure he'd be more inclined to phib about it for a number of reasons. Zerlein has no such motivation.

Blake
03-08-2007, 03:18 PM
Just goes to show you how much crap is made up in the truth and rumors setion called the chronicle sports.

Stop making up stories! Just report the ones that are there! Jeez!

texans83
03-08-2007, 03:23 PM
Just goes to show you how much crap is made up in the truth and rumors setion called the chronicle sports.

Stop making up stories! Just report the ones that are there! Jeez!

then there wont be anything to talk about but I do agree.

real
03-08-2007, 03:23 PM
I'm sure he'd be more inclined to phib about it for a number of reasons. Zerlein has no such motivation.

Yeah...

Zerlein would never do anything to stir up buzz and attract readers...that'd be outrageous...

nunusguy
03-08-2007, 03:46 PM
I dunno, but I think a lot of people are missing the meaning of Spencer's personal appearance on TV last night. The thing is about Spencer, I really think he could arguably be the most important player we drafted last year, considering he potentialy might finally be the solution for our long-standing problems at LT.
I don't know about others, but I've heard so many different accounts of how Spencer's rehab/recovery is coming along since his horrific injury in Indy last fall, and I really didn't even know if he was still in these parts ? For all we knew he'd maybe thrown in the towell and returned to remain forever in his native NorthEast (I'm thinking somewhere in PA or upstate NY ?).
But to see and hear him say, here in Houston, that he was working out, he
had every intention of resuming his career, and he was feeling good and confidant offered hope. And he sounded and looked sincere, and he looked
good, looked fit from his general appearance.
Of course this doesn't mean we can assume a full recover with him starting
at LT in the season opener in Sept just like last year. But its encouraging,
its hopeful. And Spencer himself recognized that Kubiak and the Texans can
make no asumptions about recovery and return, and therefor he understands
why and respects their intention to draft one or more OTs this year.

morningcrew
03-08-2007, 04:35 PM
Yeah, I can see why a team doctor would want to lie about his rehab during a simple converstation. Makes sense.

infantrycak
03-08-2007, 04:53 PM
Well since Zierlein carries soooo much weight with some people--from a post by CowboysTexansFan a couple weeks ago:

Lance Zerlein reported some good news about Charles Spencer in his blog about the NFL draft. In response to a blogger's post, LZ wrote the following:

"I'm not too crazy about Levi Brown at that spot. Plus, after speaking with someone close to Charles Spencer's rehab recently, I feel much better about his chances of coming back healthy this year at some point."

In response, I asked the following questions that LZ partially answered:

[snip]

Can you shed more light on how Spencer's rehab is coming along? I recall there was some fear the cartilage wouldn't grow back on his knee. Is it growing back? Does it look like Spencer will regain all of his previous mobility, so he can stay at LT? When is he expected to be ready to play? I take it from your comment that it may not be until during the season.

From what I've been told, the best case scenario is that he'll be ready to go by some point in the preseason and by worst case scenario he'll start the season on the PUP list and be in a similar situation that K.Wong was in last year. However, all in all, it sounds like he has been diligent with his rehab and that he is just grinding his way through the long, slow process. There is still some unknown to get through in terms of his mobility, but the fear that he would have permanent cartilage damage is subsiding.

So... the good news is we apparently don't have to worry about Spencer's career being over. The jury is still out on whether he'll recover all of his athletic ability, but the initial returns are promising. It would be great if he can be a long-term answer at LT. Alternatively, if he can still be a good RT or guard, I'll take it--though I'd much prefer that he'd be a stud LT!

Hopefully Spencer's friend and occasional poster CT CSTM can provide more information.

real
03-08-2007, 04:54 PM
Yeah....

I remember that post...Couldn't remember who posted it though...

htownfoozball
03-22-2007, 07:32 PM
any word on his recovery? not sure if i should make a new thread or bring back the old one...but whatever.

Ole Miss Texan
03-22-2007, 07:34 PM
good idea...i havn't heard anything but he's a guy we need to be concerned about.

man! if he can just come back fine..i think our oline will be good...come on spence!!!!

Who are the guys that 'adopted' him? they need to be sending him 'get well soon cards'

Navy_Chris
03-22-2007, 07:36 PM
man! if he can just come back fine..i think our oline will be good...come on spence!!!!

We need more than a healthy Spencer for our O-Line to be good next season. Depth at guard is a BIG issue to me. And no, I don't want to move a tackle to guard...that's just stupid.

Lucky
03-22-2007, 07:36 PM
I heard 610 AM's Marc Vandermeer say that Spencer was limping around prior to the Schaub press conference with ice on his knee. I have no idea if that is a good or bad thing.

Cupps
03-22-2007, 07:37 PM
What's this whole "adopted" thing that you're mentioning and I've seen randomly on this board before? Sorry for being off-topic, but I figured it was as good a time as any to ask.

Ole Miss Texan
03-22-2007, 07:38 PM
I heard 610 AM's Marc Vandermeer say that Spencer was limping around prior to the Schaub press conference with ice on his knee. I have no idea if that is a good or bad thing.

it doesn't sound good to me. blast you've ruined my night!!! oh well the aggies are up by 5 on memphis at halftime!

threetoedpete
03-22-2007, 07:38 PM

Hey it's ok Vinny just gave the green light to our young o-line. No worries.
:elmo:

Lucky
03-22-2007, 07:42 PM
it doesn't sound good to me.

Well, it could be that Spencer was going through a rehab session and was icing down the knee as a precautionary, routine measure. Like I said, who knows the real story other than the team.

Navy_Chris
03-22-2007, 07:43 PM
Well, it could be that Spencer was going through a rehab session and was icing down the knee as a precautionary, routine measure. Like I said, who knows the real story other than the team.

I hope you're right.

blockhead83
03-22-2007, 07:44 PM
If by "limping around" he meant "walking around without crutches" then I'd take that as a positive.

keyfro
03-22-2007, 07:47 PM
i seriously doubt spencer is going to be ready by the season opener...i figure he'll probably start the year on the PUP list and come in a few weeks into the season

grahamcracker977
03-22-2007, 08:39 PM
I'm very concerned about Spencer. At first I thought it was a basic tibia fracture but the bone split up into the joint...or am I wrong...thought I read this in the Chron...anyway...tore the cartillage too. Hope he can indeed come back from this injury. Not on crutches would be promising.

Insideop
03-22-2007, 09:36 PM
any word on his recovery? not sure if i should make a new thread or bring back the old one...but whatever.

Haven't heard much about his recovery lately, but I sure wish cloakNNNdagger were around to give us the low down on how serious this injury really is and what are it's long term affects. Cloak, are you out there?

blockhead83
03-22-2007, 10:59 PM
Here's a Dr.'s description from an article in the Chronicle:
"It is like if you would drive a spike through the top of your leg bone and you split the cartilage," Bastin said. "The fracture has healed, but typically there is not blood supply to our cartilage. So that is the concern going forward. When Dr. Lowe brought it back together, were we fortunate enough for that cartilage to continue to survive and live, or did it die off?

"When it dies off, it's gone, and we can't put that back. So that's what we're in limbo with."

My understanding was that the fractured portion of the tibia was where it articulates with the fibula, which isn't a good thing either, but it sounds as if the main concern is how well the injured cartilage is going to heal considering the limited vascularization. If the cartilage dies off, think Domanick Williams, he's not going to have any cushion to pad the outer portion of his knee.

Runner
03-22-2007, 11:54 PM
"When it dies off, it's gone, and we can't put that back. So that's what we're in limbo with."

I think if it "dies off" i.e. loses blood flow the next step is microfracture surgery. This is what Chris Webber, Jason Kidd, and Amare Stoudimire had to name a few.

dirty steve
03-23-2007, 12:02 AM
I think if it "dies off" i.e. loses blood flow the next step is microfracture surgery. This is what Chris Webber, Jason Kidd, and Amare Stoudimire had to name a few.
i can't see how Levi Brown isn't the absolute number one player on their board right now. i think the five year void at that position can't wait any longer. this trumps defensive back, defensive line, and wide receiver. you just spent 48 mil and picks on schaub, and i'd hate to see him go the way of his predecessor because of the faults of the previous regime. draft brown, if spencer comes back, fine. then your line looks something like:

brown-pitts-weary?-spencer-winston

Runner
03-23-2007, 12:06 AM

That looks pretty good, depending on Weary at center. A lot of coaches haven't put him there for the Texans even though that has always been a weakness. McKinney might play better with Pitts and Spencer around him though.

Spencer - the big "IF".

blockhead83
03-23-2007, 12:10 AM

Wow, didn't even know about that. That's a really cool procedure, here's a link for anyone interested... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microfracture_surgery

Also, I agree with Steve for the most part, we need to get more help on the line. I'd really prefer to not have Salaam starting at LT all year. It's about time this franchise faces up with the elephant in the room.

dirty steve
03-23-2007, 12:10 AM
That looks pretty good, depending on Weary at center. A lot of coaches haven't put him there for the Texans even though that has always been a weakness. McKinney might play better with Pitts and Spencer around him though.

Spencer - the big "IF".
the onl;y reason i slotted him there tentatively is that i heard he played there during his time at Tennessee. that is a crew that could really grow together. your glue in pitts and weary, the young bucks winston/spencer, and finish it off with brown. i know the denver/kubiak way can find guys later in the draft, but if brown is there, i hope the team gives him serious thought.

GNTLEWOLF
03-23-2007, 03:15 AM
I dunno, but I think a lot of people are missing the meaning of Spencer's personal appearance on TV last night. The thing is about Spencer, I really think he could arguably be the most important player we drafted last year, considering he potentialy might finally be the solution for our long-standing problems at LT.I don't know about others, but I've heard so many different accounts of how Spencer's rehab/recovery is coming along since his horrific injury in Indy last fall, and I really didn't even know if he was still in these parts ? For all we knew he'd maybe thrown in the towell and returned to remain forever in his native NorthEast (I'm thinking somewhere in PA or upstate NY ?).
But to see and hear him say, here in Houston, that he was working out, he
had every intention of resuming his career, and he was feeling good and confidant offered hope. And he sounded and looked sincere, and he looked
good, looked fit from his general appearance.
Of course this doesn't mean we can assume a full recover with him starting
at LT in the season opener in Sept just like last year. But its encouraging,
its hopeful. And Spencer himself recognized that Kubiak and the Texans can
make no asumptions about recovery and return, and therefor he understands
why and respects their intention to draft one or more OTs this year.

Not to take anything away from the promise that a healthy Spencer showed, but is anybody else bothered that a guy with a potential career ending injury "might finally be the solution for our long-standing problems at LT"? I remember how excited I was about Tony Boselli, and the potential he had had he not been injured. As I recall his injury was in the shoulders. Spencer had a serious break in the leg. We need another starting caliber OT just in case.

keyfro
03-23-2007, 08:42 AM
yes i'm very concerned by it but now that we have jordon black i don't believe it's as huge of an issue as it could have been without black

nunusguy
03-23-2007, 08:51 AM
i can't see how Levi Brown isn't the absolute number one player on their board right now. i think the five year void at that position can't wait any longer. this trumps defensive back, defensive line, and wide receiver. you just spent 48 mil and picks on schaub, and i'd hate to see him go the way of his predecessor because of the faults of the previous regime. draft brown, if spencer comes back, fine. then your line looks something like:
All good points, but how do you really know how the Texans feel about Brown ?
They may not see him as being close to worthy of being chosen in the top
10 ? Or they may see him as a poor fit in their ZB scheme ? Or they not even
consider him the best OT in this Draft ?
As we have learned, the current Texans organization is a very independant and secretive group when
it comes to drafting players.

Mr. White
03-23-2007, 08:55 AM
deleted

Texans Horror
03-23-2007, 08:58 AM
All good points, but how do you really know how the Texans feel about Brown ?
They may not see him as being close to worthy of being chosen in the top
10 ? Or they may see him as a poor fit in their ZB scheme ? Or they not even
consider him the best OT in this Draft ?
As we have learned, the current Texans organization is a very independant and secretive group when
it comes to drafting players.

I don't know about the Texans, but here is some info I pulled on Brown from Draft Countdown (http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/ot/levibrown.html). It's listed under weaknesses:

Lacks a mean streak and may not have that killer instinct...Is not overly powerful or aggressive...Is not a great technician...Somewhat inconsistent player who can be dominant at times and a bit lackadaisical at others...Needs to play with better leverage...It's not a given that he'll be able to stay at left tackle once in the pros.

The last statement is what really concerns me. The Texans are full of guys who would make great back-ups and wonderful right tackles, but they really need a left tackle. Some of the other stuff in there makes him sound so much like Seth Wand, that I would project that if the Texans took Brown, the fans would be up in arms about him by the first game. That's why I see the Texans looking to later rounds for Staley or Free.

Dallas_Texan
03-23-2007, 11:08 AM
I don't know about the Texans, but here is some info I pulled on Brown from Draft Countdown (http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/ot/levibrown.html). It's listed under weaknesses:

The last statement is what really concerns me. The Texans are full of guys who would make great back-ups and wonderful right tackles, but they really need a left tackle. Some of the other stuff in there makes him sound so much like Seth Wand, that I would project that if the Texans took Brown, the fans would be up in arms about him by the first game. That's why I see the Texans looking to later rounds for Staley or Free.

I couldn't agree more. Brown is nowhere near worthy of a Top 10 pick. However, I can see Schaub getting a guarantee from the Texans FO that an O-lineman would be taken in the 1st either this year or next. Then again, he may have agreed to play in nothing but a jock strap all season for 48 Million!! But all kidding aside, I would think that when Schaub's agent was speaking with the Texans that he wanted to know what they would do about QB protection so that his client wouldn't be the next DC. (I would think any QB prospect in Houston would have asked that)

Texans Horror
03-23-2007, 11:17 AM
And from what I've heard, it sounds like the Texans said:

Don't worry. We had a lot of injuries last year, and they are all healed up. We have Spencer and Flanagan at LT and C. If Spencer isn't well, we'll have Black and Salaam to back him up. Don't worry about Salaam. He's healed up, too.

The question is - does this really fix anything?

real
03-23-2007, 11:23 AM
I couldn't agree more. Brown is nowhere near worthy of a Top 10 pick. However, I can see Schaub getting a guarantee from the Texans FO that an O-lineman would be taken in the 1st either this year or next. Then again, he may have agreed to play in nothing but a jock strap all season for 48 Million!! But all kidding aside, I would think that when Schaub's agent was speaking with the Texans that he wanted to know what they would do about QB protection so that his client wouldn't be the next DC. (I would think any QB prospect in Houston would have asked that)

That makes no sense...

Why in the he!! would the Texans promise him all of that? Especially since they don't know who'll be on the board this year let alone next year...Do you really think that after giving up two 2nd rounders they are going to go out of their way to roll out a red chinchilla carpet???LMAO..

This isn't College recruiting, we aren't UT and Kubiak isn't Mack Brown...

He gets paid to do a job...

His reward is being given the chance to be a franchise QB, and his freaking pay check....

Texans Horror
03-23-2007, 11:24 AM
Yeah, I don't think there's a tackle clause in the contract...

TEXANRED
03-23-2007, 11:44 AM
yes i'm very concerned by it but now that we have jordon black i don't believe it's as huge of an issue as it could have been without black

Am I the only one who looks at Jorden Black as a Victor Riley?

I remember everyone being real high on Riley during the off season. B/C I didn't know anything about him, I had to look him up and found out he gave up 16 sacks the year before.

Didn't Black give up double sack didgets last year?

The Chief's even call him Highway 65.

Texans Horror
03-23-2007, 01:22 PM

I remember everyone being real high on Riley during the off season. B/C I didn't know anything about him, I had to look him up and found out he gave up 16 sacks the year before.

Didn't Black give up double sack didgets last year?

The Chief's even call him Highway 65.

No, you're not the only one.

I'm not sure how many sacks he gave up, but the Chiefs fans thought it was a joke that we paid him to play for us, according to one message board we were shown.

However, we have been assured by a childhood friend of his that he is an outstanding athlete and a good person, and that his move to Texas was motivated by family (being closer to them).

I still feel very leery of this move, so I'm just going to watch this scenario play out and hope for the best.

Vinny
03-23-2007, 01:25 PM
Am I the only one who looks at Jorden Black as a Victor Riley? Black is a back up....and has started in the NFL. It's not like he is coming in here to be our franchise LT.

Malloy
03-23-2007, 01:34 PM
Black is a back up....and has started in the NFL. It's not like he is coming in here to be our franchise LT.

Let's see if he survives the TC first.

infantrycak
03-23-2007, 01:43 PM

I would hope so. Black barely tops 300 lbs, is relatively young and started at LT last year. Riley had trouble staying under 350 lbs, was at the end of his career and wasn't even being retained to play his traditional RT role by his former team.

I remember everyone being real high on Riley during the off season.

That's not what I recall which was a great deal of consternation that Wand wasn't being given a chance to make the 2nd year jump Pitts had made and that Riley was a tub of out of shape goo.

hadaad
03-23-2007, 02:52 PM
That's not what I recall which was a great deal of consternation that Wand wasn't being given a chance to make the 2nd year jump Pitts had made and that Riley was a tub of out of shape goo.

I also remember that he had character issues.

I still have no idea why the Texans didn't put Wand in there. I guess it must have been something they saw (or didn't see (or thought they saw (or didn't see)))

The point is, I hate Victor "Crash" Riley. Well, maybe not hate, but strongly dislike as my starting left tackle, anyway.

keyfro
03-23-2007, 02:58 PM
the previous coaching staff was about as offensively savvy as a two year old...they didn't understand how to see good o-line talent...they didn't know how to run the right offense with the players they had...they didn't know squat on offense

spencer's injury is a major one but it keeps looking like charles is gonna make the come back...it's gonna be hard...but from everything we've seen of his attitude he'll be up to the task

CT CSTM
03-23-2007, 09:50 PM
"Big Nasty" is a good friend of mine,see him several times a week. Some may take my updates as biased but thats fine, anyone would when you're supporting your friend to succeed. We talk occassionally about his injury and his rehab. They work him very hard on getting him back into shape,hes a big focus of the rehab team at Reliant. They all realize his importance to the team, the entire orginization is being very supportive of his comeback which says alot. He doesn't see anything else in his future but being a Houston Texan, he loves Houston. He wants to play his whole(10 year +) career here and nowhere else. You could say he's got a bit of "Tunnel Vision" where he sees himself doing nothing but being a Texan for years to come. He's working very hard and yes the ice on his knee is to aid the rehab, you can see him at times limping but he does it to not put any undue stress on his knee/leg to aid in the healing process...He's still rehabing very hard every week and his head is as focused as if he were in the midst of the playoffs,,,I personally can't wait to see him run out on the field next season,,,just knowing all he's been through to get back will make it one of the happiest days of his life,,,

Wolf
03-23-2007, 09:54 PM
thank you kindly for the update, it was much appreciated. I wish CS the best on a speedy recovery

Seņor Stan
03-23-2007, 09:55 PM
"Big Nasty" is a good friend of mine,see him several times a week. Some may take my updates as biased but thats fine, anyone would when you're supporting your friend to succeed. We talk occassionally about his injury and his rehab. They work him very hard on getting him back into shape,hes a big focus of the rehab team at Reliant. They all realize his importance to the team, the entire orginization is being very supportive of his comeback which says alot. He doesn't see anything else in his future but being a Houston Texan, he loves Houston. He wants to play his whole(10 year +) career here and nowhere else. You could say he's got a bit of "Tunnel Vision" where he sees himself doing nothing but being a Texan for years to come. He's working very hard and yes the ice on his knee is to aid the rehab, you can see him at times limping but he does it to not put any undue stress on his knee/leg to aid in the healing process...He's still rehabing very hard every week and his head is as focused as if he were in the midst of the playoffs,,,I personally can't wait to see him run out on the field next season,,,just knowing all he's been through to get back will make it one of the happiest days of his life,,,

Thanks for the update!

I love Charles' attitude and hope he can continue to live out his dream. Give him my best and let him know I am praying for a full recovery for him.

TexansFanatic
03-23-2007, 09:56 PM

Tell him we're all pulling for him and to continue to work hard because we all want him to be our anchor for the next 10+ years as well!

Honoring Earl 34
03-23-2007, 09:57 PM

Hey .... we really are thankfull for your insight on his rehab .

I'll be happy when he's back also . Kubiak said he would have been to the offense what Demeco was to the defense .

This team is going to be good with young stars like Charles Spencer .

texanfan2002114
03-23-2007, 10:25 PM

I agree with all the other comments above mine about Charles. Wish him a speedy recovery and I can't wait to watch him for the next 10 years in a Houston uniform!!

TheRealJoker
03-23-2007, 10:39 PM
The upcoming draft should be able to tell us alot about Spencer's recovery. If they go Brown in the first then methinks he's a ?

Personally I hope Spencer picks up where he left off last year now that he has a year of NFL coaching under his belt. Ideally we can draft the BPA (Hopefully a DB) at # 1.

SAMURAITEXAN
03-23-2007, 10:39 PM

Thanks for your update on Big Nasty. Yes Yes to 10 yr +!!

dbspi
03-24-2007, 12:21 AM
The upcoming draft should be able to tell us alot about Spencer's recovery. If they go Brown in the first then methinks he's a ?

I don't think Texans will draft Brown even if he is available. They signed Black mainly due to Spencer situation. There is not much difference between Black and Brown.

hadaad
03-24-2007, 12:39 AM
I don't think Texans will draft Brown even if he is available. They signed Black mainly due to Spencer situation. There is not much difference between Black and Brown.

What do you base this opinion on, if I may ask? I don't know much about Brown but I do know that a lot of Chiefs fans are glad Black is gone. I don't get much college player information, so I'd like to know where you heard this or what you base your evaluation on.

Thanks in advance.

threetoedpete
03-24-2007, 02:02 AM
What do you base this opinion on, if I may ask? I don't know much about Brown but I do know that a lot of Chiefs fans are glad Black is gone. I don't get much college player information, so I'd like to know where you heard this or what you base your evaluation on.

Thanks in advance.

Brown, even after the poor forty time, 5.39, is still rated the second rated OLT prospect on the board....by everyone. Just as Marcus McNiel and Jamall Brown were rated highly the years we let those two sail off into the sunset. He has long arms . Levi Brown has started and played at a very high level at penn St. for three years. He has long arms, very quick feet, great hips and a very powerful hand punch and is a very good run blocker. He dominated everyone at the senoir bowl week. He has a mean streak and a winning attitude.

On paper we have four tackles on the roster. Take the masks off...basically we got one healthy starter. One grey beard. One who proved in spades last year he is no more than a back up. And one who is inured and may or may not come back....ever. So I guess just how many OTs we have on the roster curently is truly in the eye of the beholder. Mr. Schaub is going to find out PDQ who can play and who the jokers are is all I know.

Scooter
03-24-2007, 03:12 AM

your posts are always my favorite CT, wish big nasty the best from all of us ... after only a game and a half everyone could see his potential and is already a fan favorite. getting spencer back healthy would IMO be the biggest move of the offseason. i really do feel that we have a hall of famer on the team if spencer's able to make it back at full strength. CT would you know or be able to find anything more concrete? such as if his cartiledge is growing (if i understand it right), and any kind of speculated return date?

whiskeyrbl
03-24-2007, 06:48 AM
I think we all are pulling for him to be there opening day. If he is ready to go it will help our offense tremendousley. I watched clips and was inspired on how he just pushed the defenders around most of the time. He would definitely add a sorely missed piece of the puzzle in our OL woes.

keyfro
03-24-2007, 09:35 AM
you know first everyone is right to be worried about the OT position for us...with our teams history and luck with this position there is no reason why any fan should be taking the injury to spencer lightly...i hope to see spencer running out onto the field shortly and trust me...i will be yelling and screaming when i get to see that on game day...i love his attitude...his aggressive manor on the field...i truely believe he could be the next willie roaf if he gets all healed up...remember roaf had knee problems too...i see spencer mirroring his career with a little luck

as far as black is concerned...the dude was brought here to add competition to both spencer and winston...this is a great idea...one capers never did...winston and spencer are the starters but there is no reason to let them be comfortable this early in their careers...let them constantly fight for 2 or 3 more years to hold onto the positon that way we know they've truely earned it...black will be a much better insurence policy than salaam due to his youth...salaam i feel will still be on the team...black will probably be our opening day starter at LT due to spencers injury...hopefully i'm wrong