PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Zgonina to visit

ArlingtonTexan
03-07-2007, 05:11 PM
another fill-in guy: per rotoworld.com

Free agent DT Jeff Zgonina will visit the Texans Wednesday.

He's one of many veteran linemen leaving the Dolphins this off-season. Two other Dolphins free agents made visits with the Jets Tuesday: FB Darian Barnes and DE David Bowens.

ryansisgod
03-07-2007, 05:22 PM
can you post some stats?

TEXANS84
03-07-2007, 05:23 PM
Geez, 15 year NFL veteran since 1993:

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/4590

The Pencil Neck
03-07-2007, 05:27 PM

I actually remember him as being a pretty good player a couple of years ago. I hadn't realized he was this old, though.

Exithios
03-07-2007, 05:29 PM
15 years in the league, he's nearly 37 years old.

For his career he's got 23.5 sacks and 262 tackles.

No Thanks.

Dunta_23
03-07-2007, 05:30 PM

No Thanks.

ditto

HuttoKarl
03-07-2007, 05:40 PM
Depth move at the most.

dirty steve
03-07-2007, 05:41 PM
gives us the requisite "wily veteran."

keyfro
03-07-2007, 05:42 PM
aren't there better options at this point at DT than zgonina...if they want more of a run-stopper type dt isn't ian scott or mike myers available

HuttoKarl
03-07-2007, 05:43 PM
aren't there better options at this point at DT than zgonina...if they want more of a run-stopper type dt isn't ian scott or mike myers available

i'd love to see us interview both.

kiwitexansfan
03-07-2007, 07:01 PM

Not for the price you'd get Zgonina at.

gtexan02
03-07-2007, 07:08 PM
You guys are crazy. This isn't Madden. Youth isn't everything. Let me explain it to you as best I can:

last 8 years:
Missed a TOTAL of 5 games.
Extremely consistent stats of at least 30 tackles with a few sacks

We have had crazy injuries on our DL. The one thing we need is consisentency, and this guy provides it. He knows what he's doing. He's a smart football player. He can play the whole season. This is the guy we need as a spot starter/backup DT. I say sign him quick before someone else picks him up

Navy_Chris
03-07-2007, 08:44 PM

Another Seth Payne. That's exactly what we need. (sarcasm)

LoneStarState
03-07-2007, 10:12 PM
Just what we need... Methuselah on the offensive line...

Navy_Chris
03-07-2007, 10:13 PM
Just what we need... Methuselah on the offensive line...

didn't he just celebrate his 64th birthday?

gtexan02
03-07-2007, 10:15 PM
didn't he just celebrate his 64th birthday?

Jeez, grow up. Seth Payne missed 25 games over the last 4 years. Jeff has missed 5 in the last 8 years.

Seth's cap figure was going to be debilitating. Jeff would cost significantly less.

Seth was the best DT we had when he was playing.

So before
A) Insulting Seth
B) Insulting the FO for bringing this guy in
or
C) Insulting this new guy

Do some research!

Navy_Chris
03-07-2007, 10:20 PM
Jeez, grow up. Seth Payne missed 25 games over the last 4 years. Jeff has missed 5 in the last 8 years.

Seth's cap figure was going to be debilitating. Jeff would cost significantly less.

Seth was the best DT we had when he was playing.

So before
A) Insulting Seth
B) Insulting the FO for bringing this guy in
or
C) Insulting this new guy

Do some research!

OK stat master. I'm not insulting anyone either. I just think bringing this guy in for a year or two makes no sense. he's not an upgrade from any of the career backups we have at DT now.

Texan_Aggie222
03-07-2007, 10:42 PM
Oh come on guys. If we sign this guy to a one year deal, maybe two at the most, what will it hurt? He is not going to come in here and demand 5 years at $20 million. He can be another small addition that pays big dividends in the end. Plus, he can teach these younger guys like Travis Johnson a thing or two.

TexanSam
03-07-2007, 11:18 PM
His best two years stat-wise have from in two of the last three years (04 and 05). I would sign him to a one year deal. Would provide good depth and leadership.

ArlingtonTexan
03-07-2007, 11:41 PM
My understanding of what the Texans are trying to do on the DL is play guys in waves and moe around Mario and Weaver. If they are signed Reed nor Zgonina will be asked to play more than 1/2 of the snaps regularly.

Navy_Chris
03-08-2007, 03:43 PM
My understanding of what the Texans are trying to do on the DL is play guys in waves and moe around Mario and Weaver. If they are signed Reed nor Zgonina will be asked to play more than 1/2 of the snaps regularly.

See, moving around Mario is a monumental mistake. Keep him in one spot and let him concentrate on getting better at what he does best.

Also, is anyone else getting tired of the Texans continuously trying to 'piece' together a team? I mean come on, the way you build a winner is to keep guys here long-term, not to bring different guys in here every year or so. I believe in Rick Smith, but I have yet to see a decent signing.

1) Ahman Green should've been signed to a 2 year deal...max!
2) Danny Clark should've been signed to a long-term deal

Zgonina, Carlisle, Reed.....steps in the WRONG direction.

dirty steve
03-08-2007, 03:49 PM
See, moving around Mario is a monumental mistake. Keep him in one spot and let him concentrate on getting better at what he does best.

Also, is anyone else getting tired of the Texans continuously trying to 'piece' together a team? I mean come on, the way you build a winner is to keep guys here long-term, not to bring different guys in here every year or so. I believe in Rick Smith, but I have yet to see a decent signing.

1) Ahman Green should've been signed to a 2 year deal...max!
2) Danny Clark should've been signed to a long-term deal

Zgonina, Carlisle, Reed.....steps in the WRONG direction.
-what exactly did the team do with Andre Johnson?
-green's contract contains very little guaranteed money and enables the team to cut bait after two years if necessary.
-if you want the team to give out a bunch of long term deals, would want joe horn (4 yrs, 19 ml from ATL) when he is 39?
-the team got in alot of trouble giving out long term deals to players who dont/didnt deserve it. if they pick and choose their type of players while excercising fiscal responsibilty that is alright with me.

i have yet to understand what it exactly is that you want the team to do.

Navy_Chris
03-08-2007, 03:53 PM
-what exactly did the team do with Andre Johnson?
-green's contract contains very little guaranteed money and enables the team to cut bait after two years if necessary.
-if you want the team to give out a bunch of long term deals, would want joe horn (4 yrs, 19 ml from ATL) when he is 39?
-the team got in alot of trouble giving out long term deals to players who dont/didnt deserve it. if they pick and choose their type of players while excercising fiscal responsibilty that is alright with me.

i have yet to understand what it exactly is that you want the team to do.

I expect them to make decisions that will enable them to WIN games. And i'm just saying that you don't do that by piecing together a roster will guys past their prime that don't have nearly the athletic ability to hang with top NFL teams. I'm glad we locked AJ in, but you can't piece together guys around him and expect this team to develop any sort of chemistry. We've gotta get young guys in here in key positions (QB, OL, DT, DE) that will be here for a long time. We have yet to do that.

dirty steve
03-08-2007, 03:55 PM
I expect them to make decisions that will enable them to WIN games. And i'm just saying that you don't do that by piecing together a roster will guys past their prime that don't have nearly the athletic ability to hang with top NFL teams. I'm glad we locked AJ in, but you can't piece together guys around him and expect this team to develop any sort of chemistry. We've gotta get young guys in here in key positions (QB, OL, DT, DE) that will be here for a long time. We have yet to do that.
younger guys require MORE MONEY, something the team doesnt have alot of right now. if they have the Ahman Green's and Danny Clark's of the world to get the depth built, i have no problem with that. you cant sit on your hands and wait for the young guys to develop without some veteran presence to hold it together.

Navy_Chris
03-08-2007, 03:56 PM
younger guys require MORE MONEY, something the team doesnt have alot of right now. if they have the Ahman Green's and Danny Clark's of the world to get the depth built, i have no problem with that. you cant sit on your hands and wait for the young guys to develop without some veteran presence to hold it together.

I agree with that. I guess I'd have to be in Rick's shoes to know exactly what I'd do. Do you know if we're supposed to be further under the cap next season? Less dead money?

dirty steve
03-08-2007, 04:00 PM
I agree with that. I guess I'd have to be in Rick's shoes to know exactly what I'd do. Do you know if we're supposed to be further under the cap next season? Less dead money?
all i've heard is that ALOT of that dead moeny from the walker-robaire smith-etc. contracts comes off this year, meaning the team should have considerable more than the rumored 13 mil they before the restructuring of johnson's contract. i think AJ (on the MB) has a pretty good grasp on what the current money situation is for the Texans.

Navy_Chris
03-08-2007, 04:04 PM
all i've heard is that ALOT of that dead moeny from the walker-robaire smith-etc. contracts comes off this year, meaning the team should have considerable more than the rumored 13 mil they before the restructuring of johnson's contract. i think AJ (on the MB) has a pretty good grasp on what the current money situation is for the Texans.

That's good. I just hope we pay a LOT of attention to our offense in the draft. We need to add explosiveness on the perimeter in the worst way. AJ can't do it all. Plus, if we can get a QB to actually look at someone besides AJ, we'll be in business.

Danny Clark should have been signed for longer though. IMO, the guy is a beast.

SuperMario
03-08-2007, 04:07 PM
Jordan Black visited today. Any thoughts about this guy??

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/detail.php?PRKey=3358&section=N%20Latest%20News

HOU-TEX
03-08-2007, 04:08 PM
That's good. I just hope we pay a LOT of attention to our offense in the draft. We need to add explosiveness on the perimeter in the worst way. AJ can't do it all. Plus, if we can get a QB to actually look at someone besides AJ, we'll be in business.

Danny Clark should have been signed for longer though. IMO, the guy is a beast.

Nah, let's see if he works out well at the SAM LB before we sign him long term. The previous regime would've signed him long term. I like the way our FO is handling things thus far.:)

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
03-08-2007, 04:13 PM

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/detail.php?PRKey=3358&section=N%20Latest%20News

Still very young (26 or 27) and filled in pretty well at left tackle after Willie Roaf retired.

HuttoKarl
03-08-2007, 04:22 PM

I'd LOVE to sign him. He's not the greatest, but Larry Johnson was sure happy to have him around last year. If we sign him, I'll do this:

:elmo: :elmo: :elmo:

(on if he’s a right or left tackle) “I’ve been playing left tackle, but, let me practice a position and I’ll play it. I’m easy that way. I can play whatever they want me to.”

HuttoKarl
03-08-2007, 04:25 PM
(on being a run stuffer) “I guess yes, there is no pass rush in this body. So I’m more of a run stopper I guess.”

Zgonina's quote...made me giggle.

santo
03-08-2007, 04:27 PM
I'd LOVE to sign him. He's not the greatest, but Larry Johnson was sure happy to have him around last year. If we sign him, I'll do this:

:elmo: :elmo: :elmo:

Maybe it looks like he likes it here, just going by this quote....

Hopefully the Texans are close to signing him...:hmmm:

(on other visits) “There are still a few teams that I might go visit. I’ve been to Tampa and Oakland, the whole coast to coast thing, but I like Houston and I like what’s going on here. We’ll see what happens as far as taking the rest of these visits”

HuttoKarl
03-08-2007, 04:28 PM
Maybe it looks like he likes it here, just going by this quote....

Hopefully the Texans are close to signing him...:hmmm:

Time to send some signature karma....

texans83
03-08-2007, 04:29 PM
I think we are supposed to be around 40mil in cap space next year if not more. Thats if they cut DD, DC. Which mean we will be able to fill what holes we still have by the 08 season.

HuttoKarl
03-08-2007, 04:30 PM
I think we are supposed to be around 40mil in cap space next year if not more. Thats if they cut DD, DC. Which mean we will be able to fill what holes we still have by the 08 season.

That's awesome...even if we didn't cut Carr, that's a ton of bank...the secret is to spend it wisely though.

texans83
03-08-2007, 04:35 PM
That's awesome...even if we didn't cut Carr, that's a ton of bank...the secret is to spend it wisely though.

yea just keep building through the draft. Next years RB class is going to be great so I feel they will go RB in the 1st next year but it way to early to tell.

trutxn
03-08-2007, 04:41 PM

No Thanks.

Can you say Okoye?