PDA

View Full Version : Do a poor OL and poor DL make each other worse?

gtexan02
03-07-2007, 12:19 PM
We have a lot of talent on our DL, but they always seem underwhelming in gmes. Does having a bad OL make it tough for our DL to practice and improve consistently?

powerfuldragon
03-07-2007, 12:32 PM
you'd think so.

Texan_Bill
03-07-2007, 12:35 PM
Texans Offense: three and out... three and out.... three and out.... three and out.....

Texans Defense: if a D-line is on the field that much, you would see results in the second half, specifically the 4th quarter.

real
03-07-2007, 12:50 PM
We have a lot of talent on our DL, but they always seem underwhelming in gmes. Does having a bad OL make it tough for our DL to practice and improve consistently?

I think the better competition you go up against the better you become...

But I don't neccessarily think that one can make the other one bad...

profan
03-07-2007, 01:08 PM
well if you both really suck, and your going against each other in practice, how do you know you really suck? Our oline may look okay against our defense in practice, then, look completely opposite in a game.

threetoedpete
03-07-2007, 01:18 PM

I believe Mr. Lombardi agrees with you. You play like you practice is what I was always told.
I think Mario Williams has a lot of tallent. But who else on the line are we projecting "a lot " of tallent on here ? I think a good barameter is how many tackles your middle line backer and safties are making. How many times in the game is our defense looking at second and short or third and short ?

We have spent a lot of draft capitol on the tallent on the d-line, I'll agree with that. What is the defenses overall production ? The bottom line ? The Tennesse game that everyone likes to point at, the big Vincent run, ( best running back playing QB in the league btw), is they sent six, and no one got there. That is the bottom line and was all last season with the defense. I think the three and outs by the offense, as an astute poster has already mentioned, was more than just a contrubting factor on that play. They were gassed. And they were gassed for a reason. To ignore that factor shows true tunnel visioned sight.

agreed. Get an o-line that can move the chains in the first two quarters, wear the other teams defense down, take 'em on a couple of eighty yard drives... every quarter...makes our defense much better. Cap will not alow you to have number ones across the board. But both of these lines need an infusion of tallent if we're going to get were we all want to go.

trutxn
03-07-2007, 04:02 PM

Mario has a lot of talent, Weaver is ok, TJ is a bust so far, and Babin is more of an LB. Other than Mario we don't have any dominant or even semi-dominant starters. The FA pick ups worked well during the season, but they are not the long term answer.

Nawzer
03-07-2007, 04:07 PM
It seems like our lines have their roles reversed. D-line is on the field way too long and o-line seems to have quick 3 and out.

real
03-07-2007, 04:09 PM
Your teammates in practice can make you better, but they can't really make you worse.

The Pencil Neck
03-07-2007, 04:24 PM
Your teammates in practice can make you better, but they can't really make you worse.

Unless of course, the massive suckage from both sides starts a suckage chain reaction and spontaneously creates a black hole that gobbles up both lines and leaves us having to start from scratch.

That would be worse.

keyfro
03-07-2007, 04:43 PM
well if that was true wouldn't the o-line be getting better after going against a superior d-line throughout training camp, pre-season, and the regular season?

real
03-07-2007, 04:44 PM
That would be worse.

Nah, that'd be GREAT !!!

Then we'd be able to start over...Ha

ledzeppelin229
03-07-2007, 05:33 PM
Unless of course, the massive suckage from both sides starts a suckage chain reaction and spontaneously creates a black hole that gobbles up both lines and leaves us having to start from scratch.

That would be worse.

That was the originally intent for signing Victor Riley. The idea was that the two bodies with the largest mass (the black hole and V. Riley) would be the first to be drawn towards each other. At the moment of impact, Riley would be able to act as a cork on the black hole and save the rest of the line. Now that he is gone I'm not sure how space and time will function, as pertains to our offensive and defensive lines.

Ok, I wish we had a fatter guy on the line to make that joke with, but Riley was the best one I could come up with.

rickyb
03-07-2007, 05:37 PM

Let us not forget: Mario played all last year with plantar fasciitis (http://www.emedicine.com/emerg/topic429.htm). Expect his play to markedly improved this year. Expect Mario to make everyone play better.

Good point on 3-and-out repeat. 4th qtr = suckwind.