PDA

View Full Version : Antwan Peek

BrownsFan16
03-07-2007, 01:10 AM
Hello everyone. I am a Browns fan (as you can tell from my username). I just wanted to know what all you Houston fans think of Antwaan Peek. Do you think we got a good signing? What are his pros and cons?

ledzeppelin229
03-07-2007, 01:15 AM
Hello everyone. I am a Browns fan (as you can tell from my username). I just wanted to know what all you Houston fans think of Antwaan Peek. Do you think we got a good signing? What are his pros and cons?

Pros: Athletic, high intensity player. Has a good burst when rushing the passer.

Cons: Not the brightest one out there, prone to stupid mistakes and penalties. Also tends to over pursue when trying to stop the run.

I remember hearing he was one of the better coverage linebackers on the team but I don't remember where...and it didn't seem to translate to the field.

A lot of people liked him around here for his occasional sack and the energy he brought to the team, but for the most part he never really seemed to develop as an every down linebacker. He can be the most exciting and the most frustrating player on back to back plays.

brewhaus
03-07-2007, 03:57 AM
He can be the most exciting and the most frustrating player on back to back plays.

Great way to put it. I really liked Antwan and am sorry to see him go.
Good luck with the Browns Antwan. He will probably be a favorite of the "Dog Pound".

TEXANS84
03-07-2007, 08:48 AM
He was a well liked player by many of the fanbase, that just couldn't hold down as a 4-3 defensive end due to his inability to maintain weight. He'll be a great pass-rushing OLB in Crennel's 3-4 defense.

Like another poster put it, he'll make the play of the game...followed by something fairly frustrating immediatley after that. If Crennel' can contain his emotions...he'll be a fantastic pickup for you guys.

You may want to read what Antwan has been through in his childhood to better understand him:

http://www.enquirer.com/bearcats/2001/06/17/uc_out_of_chaos_uc_star.html

As you can see, he's been through a hell of a lot in his life...but he's changed things for the better. I'm glad to see that he's back playing in his home state around his family from Cincinatti.

Carr Bombed
03-07-2007, 09:13 AM

Don't worry Browns fan, theres been a couple of players that our previous wack job coaching staff couldn't develop that left this team and came up roses.

If Crennel can develop LBs like they do in NE, yall should make a decent player out of Antwan. He just needs to become more disciplined with his play on the field, he does have big play ability though (had 6 sacks his last year in the 3-4). Struggles in coverage like posted before, so he needs to work on that.

Carr Bombed
03-07-2007, 09:20 AM
Then he is great depth, I think it is a pretty smart signing on the Browns part. Nice job at finding a guy that didn't fit a system, but had success in the previous one.

tulexan
03-07-2007, 09:43 AM
I'll tell you what I think, but only if you pass on Adrian Peterson.

nunusguy
03-07-2007, 10:26 AM
Definite positives about Peek: FWIW he was our best pure pass-rusher, very
popular with fans because of an entertaining and animated personality &
also popular in the LR, more effective in a 3-4 (your D) than what we've got
here (4-3), very intense (this trait has dual results - see negatives).
Negatives: really a niche player as an edge rusher who historically has simply not been successful defending rushing plays, guilty of mental lapses and has penalities for roughing the passer, etc. at very bad times during the course of a game because he loses his cool, has had durability issues.

Tulip
03-07-2007, 02:24 PM
Peek was one of the few defensive players who had any fire on this team. He showed really good flashes in the 2004 season, and I thought he was ready to really hit his stride in 2005. Unfortunately, the Texans' defensive philosophy/schemes became a mirror of the offense (vanilla, no pass rush, no aggression whatsoever). Peek didn't have much chance to do what he does best. With the coaching change in 2006, they switched to a 4-3, and Peek isn't big enough to be a defensive end.

If it helps, I think he'll hit the escalator in his contract (6 sacks). I think it's a good pickup for the Browns.

Carr Bombed
03-07-2007, 05:46 PM
Peek was one of the few defensive players who had any fire on this team. He showed really good flashes in the 2004 season, and I thought he was ready to really hit his stride in 2005. Unfortunately, the Texans' defensive philosophy/schemes became a mirror of the offense (vanilla, no pass rush, no aggression whatsoever). Peek didn't have much chance to do what he does best. With the coaching change in 2006, they switched to a 4-3, and Peek isn't big enough to be a defensive end.

If it helps, I think he'll hit the escalator in his contract (6 sacks). I think it's a good pickup for the Browns.

Peek has his best year in 2005, with 6 sacks and 2 FF as a situational pass rusher early on.

BrownsFan16
03-07-2007, 11:07 PM
I'll tell you what I think, but only if you pass on Adrian Peterson.

I will gladly pass on Peterson. I want either Joe Thomas, Brady Quinn, or Calvin Johnson. Calvin Johnson, Braylon Edwards, Joe Jurievicus, and K2... imagine how much that would open up our offense.

With us signing Jamal Lewis today, I think it shows we'll pass on Peterson, and wait until next year when the draft is going to feature a lot of very good running backs. I'll root for him to fall to #8 for you guys :)

Thanks for the info on Antwaan Peek, and goodluck in 07! I might come over here some and check up on you guys.