PDA

View Full Version : As much as I hate to speculate (D. Williams thread)

DontTreadOnMe
03-07-2007, 02:02 AM
I have been thinking about this for alittle while, and i have convienced myself that dominick williams has marginal work ethic and a weak drive for the game of football. I have seen players return to action from WAY worse injuries than dw, and he has been out for almost 1.5 seasons. I simply believe that once dw got his contract and got injured, he basically gave up. i remember an interview with him alittle while ago, and he said without hesitation that he did NOT watch ONE texans game this season. WHAT??? i was blown away by that statement.. that showed me that he doesnt even enjoy the game anymore, so why should he rehab his butt off to play a game he probably loathes, when he can sit back and 'almost [oh so close]' come back to play for us and boom, his knee hurts.... so he sits back and collects. actually, i recall kubes publicly calling dw out last training camp,.. basically stating that all players play with pain. i used to love the guy, but after seeing: mcgahee, spencer (hopefully), mcnabb, etc... come back from way worse injuries in a shorter amount of time, i have lost all faith in him and apparently our FO feels the same way (i.e. green). Ah, i had to get that out of me, thanks..

SamuraiSword
03-07-2007, 02:37 AM
I have been thinking about this for alittle while, and i have convienced myself that dominick williams has marginal work ethic and a weak drive for the game of football. I have seen players return to action from WAY worse injuries than dw, and he has been out for almost 1.5 seasons. I simply believe that once dw got his contract and got injured, he basically gave up. i remember an interview with him alittle while ago, and he said without hesitation that he did NOT watch ONE texans game this season. WHAT??? i was blown away by that statement.. that showed me that he doesnt even enjoy the game anymore, so why should he rehab his butt off to play a game he probably loathes, when he can sit back and 'almost [oh so close]' come back to play for us and boom, his knee hurts.... so he sits back and collects. actually, i recall kubes publicly calling dw out last training camp,.. basically stating that all players play with pain. i used to love the guy, but after seeing: mcgahee, spencer (hopefully), mcnabb, etc... come back from way worse injuries in a shorter amount of time, i have lost all faith in him and apparently our FO feels the same way (i.e. green). Ah, i had to get that out of me, thanks..

i also think the same way. i remember last year he stated that he didn't want to go under surgery on his knee again. Then as the date of the cuts got closer he knew his time was up. So he decided to go the doctor and see what else he can fix his knee because "it didn't feel right". Now he is about to go under surgery and the Texans didn't cut him because of the injury problem.....hmmmm sounds like DW is milking the cow of the Texans. He wants to earn that free money like DC does.....:stirpot:

Andrew6
03-07-2007, 02:44 AM
it pissed me off too, goes out at the mid to end of 2005 season and then basicly takes a free ride on the Texans Gravy Train for the whole 2006 season. I remember at the begining of the season he was scheduled to play that was one of the main reasons we didn't pick up Bush. DD was proven a good running back. Then last minute he goes ahhh my hamstring or something to that affect and goes out on IR the rest of the season. Seems like he shoulda been cut right then and there.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
03-07-2007, 02:49 AM
A bone on bone knee condition is a bit worse than your typical hamstring injury.

Andrew6
03-07-2007, 02:50 AM
right, wasn't that what he went out for at the start of the season? didn't say anything about his knee, it was he had a hammy pull.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
03-07-2007, 02:52 AM
His knee has always been the reason for missing the entire season. It had nothing to do with a hamstring.

Andrew6
03-07-2007, 02:53 AM
well if his knee bothers him that bad, seems like we should go ahead and cut him and let it heal then...

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
03-07-2007, 02:54 AM
That's the plan. The team is just waiting til June 1st so they can split the prorated cap hit over this season and next.

Andrew6
03-07-2007, 02:55 AM
that'll do donkey, that'll do.

bATXle red
03-07-2007, 02:56 AM
maybe his attitude (and/or his bum knee) will change with his name... or maybe his employer will change with the name. :ouch: :thumbdown

South Texan
03-07-2007, 03:21 AM
If you can believe what has been posted by usually reliable sources, he has a bone on bone injury that will never completely heal. Even if he were to make it back, I am pretty sure he would never be 100% again, and certainly not able to carrry 25 times a game for 16 games.

Dominick, thanks for the memories, and I wish you the best.

dbspi
03-07-2007, 03:30 AM
I heard that his knee is all swelled up and he needs another operation to have it fixed. I was wondering whey he waited so long to have his second knee operation.

Is it possible that he is doing this on purpose to avoid being cut this off season. Team can't cut you if you are injured?

DontTreadOnMe
03-07-2007, 03:43 AM
no way he had true bone on bone knee problems... he had no structural damage, and it seemed to be a matter of playing through alittle bit of pain. i think it boils down to the fact that dw got secure financially and now he is able to hang the cleats up and quit the game he probably hasnt wanted to play for 4-5 years (including college)

kiwitexansfan
03-07-2007, 03:54 AM
I hate to think that is was a case of him getting a nice fat contract extension and then losing the desire.

I really want to think that our players love the game and just want to play and win, but ultimately maybe it is jus about getting paid for some/most of them.

Carr Bombed
03-07-2007, 04:08 AM
Where did you hear this.

SAMURAITEXAN
03-07-2007, 04:41 AM
Where did you hear this.

Rick Smith said this on Texans web site. Look at video on this web site.

SAMURAITEXAN
03-07-2007, 04:49 AM
Sorry Carr Bomb I seem to missed a point on your question.

kiwitexansfan
03-07-2007, 04:54 AM
I think we are trying to establish if you can cut an injured player??

I think I read somewhere on another thread you can't cut them as such but you can do a medical buy out??

TexansSB07
03-07-2007, 07:14 AM
I think we are trying to establish if you can cut an injured player??

I think I read somewhere on another thread you can't cut them as such but you can do a medical buy out??

That's correct you can't cut them UNLESS you agree to a medical settlement, so you more or less pay them to get healthy but not on your team. I am wondering how much of a cap hit we would take if he retires OR we do medical settlement

TexansSB07
03-07-2007, 07:20 AM
I think he will not be on roster this season, in fact if knee is as bad as they are saying I expect June 1st will be last time in a uniform in NFL. I liied his upside, I know nothing about his desire or work ethic...but I hope he finds happiness

Runner
03-07-2007, 07:23 AM
IIRC Todd Wade's injury settlement was $250K or something like that. At any rate, it was in the hundreds of thousands, not millions. The injury settlement is overblown as a factor in cutting a player, IMO.

BigWig
03-07-2007, 08:48 AM
He should have changed his last name to Boselli!
Hes a goner and costing us cash, go ahead and retire dude!

Vinny
03-07-2007, 08:52 AM
I've been thinking he is a June 1 cut for a while...haven't really changed my mind on it either.

Second Honeymoon
03-07-2007, 09:29 AM
just another stupid resigning by McNair and Co. Why we ever resigned him before his contract was due, I will never know. I got flamed on this forum about complaining about us resigning him before his contract was over. If we would have just waited another year like most teams do, we wouldn't be on the hook for any of this BS. But McNair and Co. have to be all 'niiiice' and give marginal players (carr and dd/dw) new contracts so that we dont lose them.....what a freaking joke

hopefully McNair took a class in NFL Ownership 101 because his first 5 years have been mistake after colossal mistake

edo783
03-07-2007, 09:57 AM
IIRC ,If you do the medical, but the guy doesn't retire you take the cap hit like if you cut him. If he retires though, basically the cap hit goes away. I could be out in left field on that, but it's how I remember it.

Marcus
03-07-2007, 10:24 AM
hopefully McNair took a class in NFL Ownership 101 because his first 5 years have been mistake after colossal mistake

Wait a minute now. He's the owner. If you can't fire the owner, then you can't blame him for anything.

:sarcasm:

Vinny
03-07-2007, 10:32 AM
IIRC ,If you do the medical, but the guy doesn't retire you take the cap hit like if you cut him. If he retires though, basically the cap hit goes away. I could be out in left field on that, but it's how I remember it.

You still accelerate the pro rata bonus into the current year.

Texan_Bill
03-07-2007, 10:32 AM
Maybe his first mistake was bringing a team back to Houston.

Or maybe since we can't fire him or blame him for anything, we could thank him for having a TEAM and a forum where we 'can' criticize any mistakes made.

texans83
03-07-2007, 10:35 AM
Maybe his first mistake was bringing a team back to Houston.

Or maybe since we can't fire him or blame him for anything, we could thank him for having a TEAM and a forum where we 'can' criticize any mistakes made.

Thank you, that needed to be said. I would much rather have a team like we have now then not have a team at all!!!!!

Texan_Bill
03-07-2007, 10:36 AM
As far as DDW, I am not aware of anyone who has returned from knee surgery where the knee was essentially bone on bone... Many people on this board (me included) agreed that we thought DD was done last year, whenever he did not make it back at the start of the season.... I wonder if the NFL team owners can take out insurance policies for contracts of players with career ending injuries (ie Drayton McCLain and the Bagwell situation)... I know players can take out policies for themselves through the likes of Lloyds of London (ie Joe Theeeeeeeesman).

Texan_Bill
03-07-2007, 10:38 AM
Thank you, that needed to be said. I would much rather have a team like we have now then not have a team at all!!!!!

EXACTLY!! I get as p.o.'d as anyone about moves made or not made - whatever the case may be. BUT, I can remember 10 years ago when there was NOTHING to discuss. I guess sometimes people's frustrations and tempers get so out of whack, that their mouths (or fingers) write checks that common sense - can't cash...

ToroRojo
03-07-2007, 10:46 AM
I am glad you are speculating because questioning the work ethic of a 5' nothing tailback that was drafted purely as a punt runterer and became a 1000 yard rusher seems moronic. Yeah, I'd say his work ethic is less than pious(insert sarcasm). He basically willed himself to the NFL through perserverence and industriousness. Sometimes you must accept the most probable facts. He has always been injury prone, but never has he not run hard with the rock. It just seems medically he will not be able to recover. There is no shame in that, but questioning his work ethic based on a medical condition is asinine.

Maybe some of you don't comprehend the medical situation, but literally his bone is rubbing upon another bone. Without the cartilage, arthritis ensues and the pain can be excruciating and is most likely debilitating. This is in essence the same issue with Charles Spencer. If his cartilage retained blood flow and still remains, then he can return and be the player we have hoped for; if not, then he will probably travel down the same road as DWilliamsDavis.

Wolfiegrrl
03-07-2007, 11:58 AM
I don't question DD/DW's work ethic. What I question now, is his ego. Perhaps that all intrusive ego is what is keeping him in the "game". There is a time and a place to let go and move on.

I'm sure DW had an issue with the idea that Houston could have picked Bush #1 last year. Of course the guy who has been the "franchise" back would want to keep the rookie from taking over his territory. Of course he's going to tell the coaching staff, "I'm fine. The knee will be as good as new come training camp." At this juncture we have to put a little blame on the FO and coaching staff for believing a guy who has a history of knee injuries. However, hindsight is 20/20.

I'm guessing with the signing of Green that we aren't going after Peterson. Green has a few years left on him and Kubiak is frothing at the mouth to get his hands on Quinn.

texans83
03-07-2007, 12:01 PM
next years draft class is going to be great for RBs if they come out early.

Blu
03-07-2007, 12:54 PM
I wonder if Casserly and Capers consulted with Jacksonvilles medical staff before drafting Williams.
The guy first had that problem at LSU. Now it's just worst.

Ibar_Harry
03-07-2007, 04:30 PM
Some of you guys are absolutely amazing. DD or DW gave up an awful lot for the Texans. He ran when we had little if any protection for him and did a very good job. He did everything that was asked of him and more. He was the man for a while. I think he deserves a little more kindness than some of you are willing to offer. Yes, its a business, but we are also human beings.

I believe the discussion by Smith centered around the fact that everything was looking reasonably good for him and that all that remained was to strengthen the leg and muscles. Unfortunately at that point swelling reappeared and they sent him to another doctor who said another surgery was required. Nothing was said about him milking an injury, and in fact, quite the opposite was said.

Mr teX
03-07-2007, 04:49 PM
I am glad you are speculating because questioning the work ethic of a 5' nothing tailback that was drafted purely as a punt runterer and became a 1000 yard rusher seems moronic. Yeah, I'd say his work ethic is less than pious(insert sarcasm). He basically willed himself to the NFL through perserverence and industriousness. Sometimes you must accept the most probable facts. He has always been injury prone, but never has he not run hard with the rock. It just seems medically he will not be able to recover. There is no shame in that, but questioning his work ethic based on a medical condition is asinine.

Maybe some of you don't comprehend the medical situation, but literally his bone is rubbing upon another bone. Without the cartilage, arthritis ensues and the pain can be excruciating and is most likely debilitating. This is in essence the same issue with Charles Spencer. If his cartilage retained blood flow and still remains, then he can return and be the player we have hoped for; if not, then he will probably travel down the same road as DWilliamsDavis.

i agree. the guy was brought in as a return man and exceeded expectations by becoming the franchise's all-time leading rusher up to this point. In achieving that though, he probably bit off more than he could chew as far as his body is concerned. I wish him well in his future endeavors, but sadly this is business & we've got to move on & get rid of him. whether that's a june 1st cut or whatever.

Please_Evolve
03-07-2007, 05:25 PM
Some of you guys are absolutely amazing. DD or DW gave up an awful lot for the Texans. He ran when we had little if any protection for him and did a very good job. He did everything that was asked of him and more. He was the man for a while. I think he deserves a little more kindness than some of you are willing to offer. Yes, its a business, but we are also human beings.

I believe the discussion by Smith centered around the fact that everything was looking reasonably good for him and that all that remained was to strengthen the leg and muscles. Unfortunately at that point swelling reappeared and they sent him to another doctor who said another surgery was required. Nothing was said about him milking an injury, and in fact, quite the opposite was said.

well put. If he retires I hope there is a ceremony or something of that effect for a guy that was probably asked to do a lot more then his body could handle. Good guy..good work ethic just not physically able to handle the rigors IMO.

Insideop
03-07-2007, 05:40 PM
I don't question DD/DW's work ethic. What I question now, is his ego. Perhaps that all intrusive ego is what is keeping him in the "game". There is a time and a place to let go and move on.

I'm sure DW had an issue with the idea that Houston could have picked Bush #1 last year. Of course the guy who has been the "franchise" back would want to keep the rookie from taking over his territory. Of course he's going to tell the coaching staff, "I'm fine. The knee will be as good as new come training camp." At this juncture we have to put a little blame on the FO and coaching staff for believing a guy who has a history of knee injuries. However, hindsight is 20/20.

I'm guessing with the signing of Green that we aren't going after Peterson. Green has a few years left on him and Kubiak is frothing at the mouth to get his hands on Quinn.

Welcome to the club! There's a whole lotta 20/20 hindsight on this MB. As a matter of fact, that's about all there is! :shades: JMHO!

keyfro
03-07-2007, 05:59 PM
it really is sad...i mean this guy tries and tries to get healthy every year but he's knees simply will not cooperate with him...sadly yes he probably is headed to a june 1st cut...which is the best move for the franchise to make...another sad point is that john mcclain predicted this when we put him on IR last year...i don't think DW will ever play again because i think his knees have completely failed to regenerate