PDA

View Full Version : Danny Clark Signed

Yankee_In_TX
03-06-2007, 06:36 PM
So would he play with Ryans and Greenwood? Looking at the stats he's slightly better than Greenwood, and leeps above our other's LB's. Can Greenwood play the left side?

Is Clark traditionally on the right?

Just trying to figure out where he fits in and how I feel about him :)

Thanks!

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
03-06-2007, 06:38 PM
Clark would play SAM linebacker replacing Shantee Orr as the starter.

Navy_Chris
03-06-2007, 06:50 PM
Clark would play SAM linebacker replacing Shantee Orr as the starter.

JMO, but replacing Orr would be a mistake. He's a constant high-motor guy who always gives 110%. If any LB needs to be replaced it's Ryans (haha..jk). It's Greenwood, it looks like Philip Buchanon taught him how to tackle. Yes, he had 100+ tackles last season, but he also missed a whole gang of 'em. I have been a big proponent of drafting Desmond Bishop in the 4th round if he falls there. That guy hits anything that moves. Another guy to give a shot to is Ameer Ismail from W. Michigan. He's likely a 7th rounder or UFA, but he led the Broncos with 17 sacks his senior season. Proven ballhawk.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
03-06-2007, 06:53 PM
Shantee Orr is average at best no matter how much effort he gives.

Navy_Chris
03-06-2007, 06:57 PM
Shantee Orr is average at best no matter how much effort he gives.

You may be right, but you can't have a Pro Bowler at every position.

TEXANS84
03-06-2007, 07:01 PM
Orr is better suited to play OLB in a 3-4 rather than 4-3. Although I like Orr, its time for a newer route.

Navy_Chris
03-06-2007, 07:02 PM
Orr is better suited to play OLB in a 3-4 rather than 4-3. Although I like Orr, its time for a newer route.

The whole concept of drafting a college DE and turning him into a 3-4 OLB is ridiculous to me. Off topic I know, but just saying...

dirty steve
03-06-2007, 07:13 PM
The whole concept of drafting a college DE and turning him into a 3-4 OLB is ridiculous to me. Off topic I know, but just saying...
why? because alot of college DE's cant keep the weight to be a down lineman? that might have a little to do with it.

see: Peek, Antwan

Navy_Chris
03-06-2007, 07:15 PM
why? because alot of college DE's cant keep the weight to be a down lineman? that might have a little to do with it.

see: Peek, Antwan

Not that, just the fact that they have to learn a completely different position. Of course, some prove to be successful, but they all have to spend a season or 2 adjusting to the move. I just don't like the idea of taking someone away from what they do best. I understand where you're coming from though.

MATRIX
03-06-2007, 07:18 PM
Clark > Orr

So, why not?

LORK 88
03-06-2007, 07:19 PM
I posted this in another thread about Clark, but I guess it dissapeared so here it is again:

Danny "hammerhead" Clark was a serious fan favorite in Oakland. Let his nickname be a good indicator of his playing style. He was a high motor guy with great intensity and has leadership qualities. He fell out of favor in Oakland because of the emergence of Kirk Morrison and was then released (most people were pissed at Davis for this). As far as being a liability in coverage which is my main concern, most Raider fans said he can hold his own. He seems like a good guy to get, I want him rather than the undersized DT and Ramsey.

LORK 88
03-06-2007, 07:27 PM
Also, does anyone else feel that after reading the front page story on the main site (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/detail.php?PRKey=3350) that it's only a matter of time before we sign Clark? It sounded like all we have to do is workout the details and he gets his chance to win a starting spot at SLB (which Im pretty excited about).

autch14
03-06-2007, 07:33 PM
i was thinkin the same....he said if the numbers work out he will surely be here.

keyfro
03-06-2007, 07:33 PM
clark is a solid LB...he won't break the bank...he won't be in any pro bowls but he's a solid LB...greenwood is a solid LB...he won't play in any pro bowls either...i think too many of ya'll have gotten smitten by LB corps like what baltimore has had...like cowboys had in the early 90's...you don't need every LB to be dominant...you just need the middle guy to be a monster and the other two to be great supporters...shantee orr is a 3-4 OLB nuff said...he plays with a high motor but he doesn't have the coverage skills to continue playing with our current scheme...i think orr will find a place in miami sooner rather than later

Navy_Chris
03-06-2007, 07:40 PM
clark is a solid LB...he won't break the bank...he won't be in any pro bowls but he's a solid LB...greenwood is a solid LB...he won't play in any pro bowls either...i think too many of ya'll have gotten smitten by LB corps like what baltimore has had...like cowboys had in the early 90's...you don't need every LB to be dominant...you just need the middle guy to be a monster and the other two to be great supporters...shantee orr is a 3-4 OLB nuff said...he plays with a high motor but he doesn't have the coverage skills to continue playing with our current scheme...i think orr will find a place in miami sooner rather than later

Doesn't Cam Cameron look like Charley Casserly?

A Texan
03-06-2007, 08:27 PM
All 3-4 teams look for these "tweeners" since there's not a whole lot of colleges running the 3-4 and smaller DE's from college are the closest thing they can find.

jlam
03-06-2007, 08:45 PM
I posted this on a thread in the NFL forum.

He's a pretty big fella who hits like a ton of bricks, but never really got an adequate chance to show what he was capable of for us. This was partly due to a purported lack of coverage skills (and was evident a few times in goal line situation when he let the TE burn him) and perhaps moreso due to the fact that the staff liked Simoneau's intelligence and leadership in the middle of the defense. I think they sacrificed some potential playmaking ability and heavy hitting in Clark for the unspectacular stability of Simoneau.

If you guys were to pick him up, I doubt he would be more than quality depth and a good special teamer, especially seeing who's manning the middle for you now and noting that he wouldn't likely be a candidate to move to an OLB position due to the afforementioned coverage concerns.

I would have liked to have seen more of what he is capable of as he had some good years in Oakland, but we were ultimately paying him $2 million to come in on goal line situations and play special teams. I hope he does well somewhere, though.

I believe he's played MLB most, if not all, of his career thus far, though you may want to check with Raiders fans for clarification. I can certainly see him as a capable run-stopping force at SAM and is someone who would bring a lot of energy. Doubt he would be able to play WILL; he may be able to overcome his coverage liabilities at SAM or even MLB, but I don't think you would want him in space trying to cover up TE's very often, especially with mediocre safeties.

TexanFan881
03-06-2007, 08:58 PM
Looking at all of the unkown free agents Rick Smith has signed and turned into gold, I'll be really excited if we can sign Clark. I can't believe I'm saying this but the front office knows what it's doing and I'm confident in whatever moves they make.

cuppacoffee
03-06-2007, 09:00 PM
All 3-4 teams look for these "tweeners" since there's not a whole lot of colleges running the 3-4 and smaller DE's from college are the closest thing they can find.

Charlie Weis has changed his D coordinator and is installing the 3-4 at Notre Dame this season.

Gotta do something, D has stood for disaster the last few years.

:coffee:

TEXANS84
03-06-2007, 09:54 PM
Thoughts on Danny Clark from raiderfans.net:

Undertaker:
Your making a good signing. Clark is a good leader and a solid player. He's not dazzling, he's more of a hard working lunchpail kinda LBer. Solid tackler, but he'll be good for your young defense though.

He was released because we didn't have a place for him anymore. He would have been a MLB and we have Morrison there now who has done well and Howard and Williams on the outside. Wish we coulda kept him, but oh well.

WNYRAIDER:
Good team player, good linebacker but limited range.

His liability is dropping back to cover the passing game. He is a liability in those instances and this is what explains his inability to stick with one team.

otownupnorth:
I like Danny, good at stuffing the middle, above average agasint the run, below average against the past, and average in pursuit.

He has good leadership skills and is reliable.

Hope that gives a little insight. Seems as if a second coming of Jay Foreman.

trutxn
03-06-2007, 11:13 PM

We can try or best!

trutxn
03-06-2007, 11:30 PM
Looking at all of the unkown free agents Rick Smith has signed and turned into gold, I'll be really excited if we can sign Clark. I can't believe I'm saying this but the front office knows what it's doing and I'm confident in whatever moves they make.

They are wise, they will make a winner in Houston. Not only will we be a winner but we will be a dynasty when they are through. They are building the team the way it should have been done from the start, throught the draft.

South Texan
03-07-2007, 03:38 AM
They are wise, they will make a winner in Houston. Not only will we be a winner but we will be a dynasty when they are through. They are building the team the way it should have been done from the start, throught the draft.

I just wish they had a clean slate to work with instead of cap problems, but that will make it all the sweeter when they finally get it done.

whiskeyrbl
03-07-2007, 03:47 AM
I think Clark would be a solid addition at the Sam, would be a dream come true if somehow Posluszny fell to us in the 2nd rd. to fill our LB woes. That would be a very tough threesome at the LB position.

kiwitexansfan
03-07-2007, 03:49 AM
This might not count for much, but I was mucking around on Madden's offseason mode and Danny Clark was a free agent and that list him as a MLB for what its worth.

If he could transition to the SLB spot I would be keen to sign him. Orr isn't the answer there and it is one of the weak spots on D we need to address.

Get Clark and then we only have CB, FS and DT to worry about.

Vinny
03-07-2007, 09:09 AM

Not that, just the fact that they have to learn a completely different position. Of course, some prove to be successful, but they all have to spend a season or 2 adjusting to the move. I just don't like the idea of taking someone away from what they do best. I understand where you're coming from though.
Um, that's what all the great 3-4 OLB's are.....all of them were College DE's. It's been this way for at least 3 decades. They are "tweeners"...guys that are not ideal to play on the line due to not being big enough and can play in space due to the fact that they aren't so bulky. The 3-4 OLB is your edge rusher (not the 3-4 DE)....they aren't traditional linebackers silly. Some of you guys need some Football 101

supertruck97
03-07-2007, 09:25 AM
Saints fan here. Clark played sparingly in NO last year, but was definitely a fan favorite. He was a hard hitter that gave full effort when he was put in. He was a bit of a liability in coverage, but his forte was hitting, and he was very good at that. He was in on some key stops for the Saints last season, and I think he's a great addition to the Texans. He won't blow you away, and he's no Urlacher, but he's a solid vet with great work ethic. I know most Saints fans wanted him to come back and battle for a spot, but when the Saints signed Simmons, Clark pretty much knew he wasn't going to start.

Congrats on a good signing. You guys will love him, as long as you don't put your expectations through the roof.

David's Busted Carr
03-07-2007, 09:31 AM

Last time I checked we only we've only EVER had a pro bowler at ONE position! (well I guess two if you count Mathis as a KR)

:shades:

Vinny
03-07-2007, 09:34 AM
Last time I checked we only we've only EVER had a pro bowler at ONE position! (well I guess two if you count Mathis as a KR)

:shades:Walker DE, Glenn DB, Johnson WR, Mathis KR...that is 4 right there.

bigbrewster2000
03-07-2007, 09:37 AM

:shades:

Nope, Gary Walker his first season and Glenn also the first season if I am not mistaken so that would be 4 positions.

infantrycak
03-07-2007, 09:43 AM
CLARK AGREES WITH TEXANS

A league source tells us that linebacker Danny Clark has agreed to terms with the Houston Texans.

Most casual fans likely haven't heard of him, which means that his guaranteed money likely will be in the neighborhood of only $8 million.

Clark is a seven-year veteran, and he has played for the Jaguars, Raiders, and (most recently) the Saints. He started in 31 games during a two-season stint with Oakland, from 2004 through 2005.

Link (http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm)

Keep in mind, this is from the rumormill.

Dunta_23
03-07-2007, 11:18 AM
Depending on the years and money, he wouldnt be a bad pickup...hopefully its a 2-3 yr deal and no longer

San Antonio Texan
03-07-2007, 11:24 AM
this was in the rumor section so.....

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

CLARK AGREES WITH TEXANS

A league source tells us that linebacker Danny Clark has agreed to terms with the Houston Texans.

Most casual fans likely haven't heard of him, which means that his guaranteed money likely will be in the neighborhood of only $8 million.

Clark is a seven-year veteran, and he has played for the Jaguars, Raiders, and (most recently) the Saints. He started in 31 games during a two-season stint with Oakland, from 2004 through 2005

The Dude Abides
03-07-2007, 11:25 AM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4608402.html

Quarterback Patrick Ramsey and linebacker Danny Clark, a pair of free agents, visited with the Texans on Tuesday.

The Texans signed Clark to a one-year deal today. Clark, 29, has had more success in the NFL than Ramsey. He played his first four seasons with the Jaguars before signing with the Raiders, for whom he started in 2004 and 2005. He signed with New Orleans last season and didn't start a game for the first time since his rookie year. He spent the season playing special teams.
"I had one year with the Saints, and it wasn't a good one," Clark said Tuesday. "The team was great. I just didn't get the opportunity to play. I played well in Oakland, and I look forward to doing the same here.
"If I come here, I'm concentrating on being a starter, which is the only way I would come."
Clark believes he has a lot to offer the Texans.

texans83
03-07-2007, 11:26 AM
Ok so where is he going to play???

The Dude Abides
03-07-2007, 11:27 AM
Ok so where is he going to play???

I'm hoping he'll split carries with A. Green and maybe carry the load at Qb if needed. :shades:

Errant Hothy
03-07-2007, 11:28 AM
Danny Clark, the new SAM LB. This will be animprovment over Orr. Just want to see the $ amount.

texans83
03-07-2007, 11:29 AM
I'm hoping he'll split carries with A. Green and maybe carry the load at Qb if needed. :shades:

haha oh man I hope you are wrong.

San Antonio Texan
03-07-2007, 11:43 AM
looks like a one year deal.

http://www.chron.com/sports/texans/

TheRealJoker
03-07-2007, 11:47 AM
Its always nice to bring in some competition for the incumbents :marionaner:

phantom17
03-07-2007, 11:58 AM
Good & SOLID pick-up!:elmo:

run-david-run
03-07-2007, 12:03 PM

Lol. 30 something tackles on the season for a starting linebacker is horrible. Mario had more tackles then Orr, and he plays DL. I dont care if Orr ran sprints in between plays, he is not a good OLB.

Porky
03-07-2007, 12:11 PM
Good under the radar type signing. He is a big time improvement over Orr at the SAM in a 4/3. Orr needs to be in a 3/4.

My only question is does this spell the end of Wong in Houston, or would Wong back up, or what's the scoop? And all of this is not taking into account the draft.

Mr. White
03-07-2007, 12:12 PM
I don't know much about Clark, but I'm all right with the signing. The same kind of second-tier free agents are the ones that got New Orleans to the playoffs.

texans83
03-07-2007, 12:13 PM
Good under the radar type signing. He is a big time improvement over Orr at the SAM in a 4/3. Orr needs to be in a 3/4.

My only question is does this spell the end of Wong in Houston, or would Wong back up, or what's the scoop? And all of this is not taking into account the draft.

I think Wong will be back up. He has great leadership for the younger guys.

Reddevil63
03-07-2007, 12:23 PM
I think Wong will be back up. He has great leadership for the younger guys.
He's a fairly expensive backup so I think he will be a June 1st casualty

Mr teX
03-07-2007, 12:26 PM

I agree, let get out with the old & in with the new.

Texans Pride
03-07-2007, 12:32 PM
One thing that is bothering me. When Clark says, "If I come here, I'm concentrating on being a starter, which is the only way I would come.", is he saying that he wants to be able to compete for that starting job, or that he won't come if it isn't just handed to him?

It bothers me if he is saying he won't come unless he's guaranteed. I think ALL players should have to earn their position, not just have it handed to them on a platter.

Can someone please clarify for me how he is saying this?

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/4608402.html

texans83
03-07-2007, 12:36 PM
One thing that is bothering me. When Clark says, "If I come here, I'm concentrating on being a starter, which is the only way I would come.", is he saying that he wants to be able to compete for that starting job, or that he won't come if it isn't just handed to him?

It bothers me if he is saying he won't come unless he's guaranteed. I think ALL players should have to earn their position, not just have it handed to them on a platter.

Can someone please clarify to me, how he is saying this.

I agree but I think by the texans saying that they just wanted to get him in here to compete, I think they will throw him in there at first but if someone is better I think they will throw the other guy in there. I feel thats why they only signed him to a 1yr deal.

dirty steve
03-07-2007, 12:37 PM

i think his comments stem from last year in new orleans when he didnt get as much playing time as he thought he was supposed to, and wanted to make sure he was going to get a substantial increase in playing time here.

Please_Evolve
03-07-2007, 12:40 PM

Looking at our LB corps I think Greenwood and Demeco are penciled in. I think Orr did enough to keep himself on the field as the starter last year and looks to me like at this point you do almost pencil him in as the front runner at least. At least one would think with a solid track record. OF course this is barring what happens in the draft.

aj.
03-07-2007, 12:47 PM

Hopefully just a little satire/sarcasm by the author concerning the state of free agency in the NFL. Sounds like something I'd write.

DGPowaR
03-07-2007, 12:54 PM

yea, your right chris...... unless your the bears:superman: ...or the chargers

Fact is that Danny Clark is a veteran linebacker that we could use, i believe hes played the 4-3 scheme before, so we should be fine...great pick up

Yankee_In_TX

There have been rumors Wong and DD will be June 1st drop off's.

BTW, that was NOT the title of my thread!!!!!!!!!!:wheel: :lightbulb:

Glad to have him.

this is pretty much the writing on the wall for wong.

gtexan02
03-07-2007, 12:55 PM
Looking at our LB corps I think Greenwood and Demeco are penciled in. I think Orr did enough to keep himself on the field as the starter last year and looks to me like at this point you do almost pencil him in as the front runner at least. At least one would think with a solid track record. OF course this is barring what happens in the draft.

What did he do on the field?

HOU-TEX
03-07-2007, 01:02 PM
Does anyone know why the Raiders let him go? In 04 and 05 he obviously had pretty darn good seasons. I'd be very happy if he picked up where he left off in 05.

Year Team G Total Tkl Ast Sacks Int Yds Avg Lg TD Pass Def
2004 Oakland Raiders 16 129 98.0 31 2 0 0 0.0 0 0 5
2005 Oakland Raiders 16 113 82.0 31 1 0 0 0.0 0 0 7

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/187516

Maddict5
03-07-2007, 01:12 PM
good stop-gap..like the 1 yr contract- basically telling him to perform or we'll get some1 better

PapaL
03-07-2007, 01:12 PM
Does anyone know why the Raiders let him go? In 04 and 05 he obviously had pretty darn good seasons. I'd be very happy if he picked up where he left off in 05.

Year Team G Total Tkl Ast Sacks Int Yds Avg Lg TD Pass Def
2004 Oakland Raiders 16 129 98.0 31 2 0 0 0.0 0 0 5
2005 Oakland Raiders 16 113 82.0 31 1 0 0 0.0 0 0 7

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/187516

Younger, better, cheaper LB. (Kirk Morrison)

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/417305

Spike
03-07-2007, 01:22 PM
I am happy with this signing. The signing of Clark isn't going to grab any major headlines, but we get a solid veteran who has started in the league and is an upgrade over what we currently have.

I mentioned in another post that with the limited cap space that we have this year, the best we could expect is to attract some solid players to add to the depth at need positions. With that as the benchmark, you have to look at the signing of Green and Clark as a real success because both of these should be upgrades in starting roles at their respective positions. Even if someone else were to emerge at these positions (we have young talent here), at the very least both of these guys will provide quality depth and veteran leadership.

Granted, neither RB our LB were our weakest positions last year, but both needed improvement. By making these improvements in the offseason, we can focus on out greater needs in the draft - OL, DL,& DB. If we can have a solid first day of the draft, we may have at least five new starters next year.

threetoedpete
03-07-2007, 01:35 PM

I think that is going to be a prety fair discription of the rest of the group we sign during free agency. We differ on opinion on Ryans, but I prety much believe you're spot on. We've had that argument befor. No need to start it up again. This signing moves them one player closer to a true 4-3. Start pairing down your '07 FA signing guesses accordingly. It moves the need for a will or sam further down the draft wish list and adds some functional depth. I wouldn't read more than that into it untill camp reprots start comming out in July.

TK_Gamer
03-07-2007, 02:29 PM
I like the clark signing, I like the green signing, we still have to replace moulds, walter is not the guy. mathis is not the guy. so we will have to wait on that, and we have to solve the QB question. if we pick up some help and solidify the weak and injury laden O-line , I would be ok with giving Carr another year. if we cant then I think Carr has to go , maybe to secure the higher draft pick to get his replacement, who knows. I really hope we dont miss out on hamlin though, and I hope we pick up a safety on day one of the draft, this year is gonna be very interesting on draft day, where the picks fall are gonna be very fluid and could decide our course for years to come.

AndroidRaider24
03-07-2007, 02:43 PM
Clark is very underated, a ****ing nasty ass hitter, great in coverage, gets alot of tackles, make his presence felt, just not a playmaker (why we replaced him with Kirk Morrison) but you guys are lucky, he will produce and produce big for you all, oh and his nick name was the Hammerhead on the Raiders :D

texans83
03-07-2007, 02:46 PM
hammerhead huh, I like that!

phantom17
03-07-2007, 02:46 PM
Clark is very underated, a ****ing nasty ass hitter, great in coverage, gets alot of tackles, make his presence felt, just not a playmaker (why we replaced him with Kirk Morrison) but you guys are lucky, he will produce and produce big for you all, oh and his nick name was the Hammerhead on the Raiders :D

AR24- thanks for the info & by the way why did the Raiders got rid of him?

AndroidRaider24
03-07-2007, 02:53 PM
AR24- thanks for the info & by the way why did the Raiders got rid of him?We drafted Kirk Morrison who his first year was at OLB,playing next to Danny Clark .... but Morrison was MLB in college, and we needed more of a playmaker type, besides we were trying to get younger on defense, he simply didnt have a place besides he was getting paid a good money, and we couldnt spend then on a back up..

phantom17
03-07-2007, 02:56 PM
We drafted Kirk Morrison who his first year was at OLB,playing next to Danny Clark .... but Morrison was MLB in college, and we needed more of a playmaker type, besides we were trying to get younger on defense, he simply didnt have a place besides he was getting paid a good money, and we couldnt spend then on a back up..

AR24- Thanks!:) Good luck on yer team! Hopefully you guys choose well on Draft Day!

TheTim5125
03-07-2007, 02:57 PM
He did have those 100+ tackle years with the raiders... good signing should help out

Errant Hothy
03-07-2007, 03:01 PM
So Clark was teh MIKE backer in Oakland? Any change we move Ryans to WILL or SAM and install Clark as teh MIKE?

I must say I like the idea of Ryans and Clark on the feild togehter at the same time.

HOU-TEX
03-07-2007, 03:04 PM
So Clark was teh MIKE backer in Oakland? Any change we move Ryans to WILL or SAM and install Clark as teh MIKE?

I must say I like the idea of Ryans and Clark on the feild togehter at the same time.

I would assume they'd have Clark as the SAM LB. Hopefully they wouldn't try to fix something (D-Ryans as MIKE) when it's not broken. :)

Errant Hothy
03-07-2007, 03:08 PM
I would assume they'd have Clark as the SAM LB. Hopefully they wouldn't try to fix something (D-Ryans as MIKE) when it's not broken. :)

I agree, it's just that Ryans was thought to play one of the outside spots when he entered the league, and Clark played MIKE most recently.

I too think moving Ryans would be a bad idea just brainstorming.

AndroidRaider24
03-07-2007, 03:08 PM

I must say I like the idea of Ryans and Clark on the feild togehter at the same time. Unless you guys want Ryan to be more agressive and move him to the outside, i doubt they will move him because of Clark, and because Clark's speed will get him killed on the outside i dont think he can play any other positions, he could be a back up, or a extra LB for vs the run ...

Errant Hothy
03-07-2007, 03:09 PM
Unless you guys want Ryan to be more agressive and move him to the outside, i doubt they will move him because of Clark, and because Clark's speed will get him killed on the outside i dont think he can play any other positions, he could be a back up, or a extra LB for vs the run ...

SO Clark's not fast enough to play SAM or WILL?

If this is true it mean Ryans is changing positions or Clark isn't a starter.

AndroidRaider24
03-07-2007, 03:11 PM

He saves his speed for a when someone is stupid enough to go down the middle on him :D

texans83
03-07-2007, 03:13 PM
I really want to leave DR where he is at.

HOU-TEX
03-07-2007, 03:17 PM

If this is the case then this signing was a mistake. It'll still leaves us without a SAM. Greenwood is a WILL and D-Ryans can play WILL and MIKE. D-Ryans is definetly talented enough for the SAM, but I'm not sure if it'd be a wise move. I'd have Clark transition to the SAM. If he can't, then I'd hope we didn't sign him for too much money.:)

AndroidRaider24
03-07-2007, 03:24 PM
I dont know if this helps but his 1st year he was MLB in the 3-4, his second with us we played ALOT of 4-2-5 (Four Down Lineman, 2 LBs, 5 DBs) He played "outside" since we only had 2 LBs on the field for that defense, basicly was there for run stopping, like i said he is decent in coverage, but lacks speed ... matched him up agianst FBs and the #2 TEs, but other than that he could be a diaster at strongside, however, weakside i can see him doing alright if he and the coaches work on it...

Long Baller
03-07-2007, 03:24 PM
Clark is only suited for the MIKE. He will either be a back up to Ryans or Ryans has to move to the outside. Clark will be solid in the middle but I think playing him outside would be a real stretch. I also don't like the idea of moving Ryans based on what he accomplished last year, but I think he has the kind of talent where he could dominate any place he plays. Maybe it would be an interesting training camp experiment as I beleive Ryans was originally brought in to play outside.

Errant Hothy
03-07-2007, 03:27 PM
So Clark will play MIKE, and Ryans moves to WILL...who the hell is the SAM? Cause neither Greenwood nor Wong can play SAM.

HOU-TEX
03-07-2007, 03:35 PM
So Clark will play MIKE, and Ryans moves to WILL...who the hell is the SAM? Cause neither Greenwood nor Wong can play SAM.

That's what I'm saying as well. We'll be in the same boat LB wise. Maybe D-Ryans can play SAM. He definetly has the talent as well as the intelligence. What would it do to D-Ryans mentally? I think they'll try to move Clark to SAM. Maybe that's the reason they only gave him a year. To see if he could make the transition. :)

Errant Hothy
03-07-2007, 03:41 PM
That's what I'm saying as well. We'll be in the same boat LB wise. Maybe D-Ryans can play SAM. He definetly has the talent as well as the intelligence. What would it do to D-Ryans mentally? I think they'll try to move Clark to SAM. Maybe that's the reason they only gave him a year. To see if he could make the transition. :)

That's what I hope, as well. But there is no denying that Ryans was projected to play on the outside when he was drafted.

Meloy
03-07-2007, 03:42 PM
Does it make any impact if Hamlin is brought aboard? This would lessen the linebackers responsibility on coverage (imo) and also maybe allow Petey Faggins to remain at CB. He is pretty much ok for 15-20 yards.

HuttoKarl
03-07-2007, 03:47 PM
Does it make any impact if Hamlin is brought aboard? This would lessen the linebackers responsibility on coverage (imo) and also maybe allow Petey Faggins to remain at CB. He is pretty much ok for 15-20 yards.

If we bring Landry in, it won't matter much. That guy can cover.

infantrycak
03-07-2007, 03:50 PM
Maybe D-Ryans can play SAM. He definetly has the talent as well as the intelligence. What would it do to D-Ryans mentally?

Good lord, the idea of moving Ryans outside is like a cockroach--can't kill it off. First off you don't take that kind of performance and the leadership he immediately assumed and move it nullifying some of his leadership/smarts. Second, Kubiak has on more than one occasion talked about Ryans being ensconced at MLB for years to come.

But there is no denying that Ryans was projected to play on the outside when he was drafted.

Sure there is since many scouts talked about moving him to the middle well before the draft and the Texans almost immediately started trying him out in the middle.

beerlover
03-07-2007, 03:53 PM
don't know a whole lot about Clark but looking at his bio seems very athletic with excellent size who could start opening day. could be a real sleeper pick-up for minimal investment :)

texans83
03-07-2007, 03:54 PM
do you think DR can produce at the OLB just as much as the MLB?

Ole Miss Texan
03-07-2007, 03:56 PM
If we bring Landry in, it won't matter much. That guy can cover.

I don't think we're going to be getting Hamlin in FA...just a gut feeling. and with the FA's we've signed RB, LB...and arent we talking to a DT we may sign?

I think that leaves Quinn and Landry. Whoever is there IF either, i see us taking. Landry has the edge with the fans, but i think quinn has the edge with kubes/smith.

Landry would help a lot..esp faggins. i think that'd be a good pick.

I like this signing of Clark.. I have been one to talk about moving Demeco outside. I think Kubiak and the other Smith..lol..will look at during TC to see how demeco, greenwood, clark...and any other LB fit. They will have the best group out there, that's for sure. I think Clark will end up playing SLb, Meco in the middle, and Greenwood Wlb

If we sign that DT from KC...and we have Clark at Lb...drafting Landry in the 1st would just about finish off our Defense (for this season only, we'd still need to draft some others but we'd already have our starters imo)

HOU-TEX
03-07-2007, 04:00 PM

Good lord, the idea of moving Ryans outside is like a cockroach--can't kill it off. First off you don't take that kind of performance and the leadership he immediately assumed and move it nullifying some of his leadership/smarts. Second, Kubiak has on more than one occasion talked about Ryans being ensconced at MLB for years to come.

As you can see, I've already stated it'd be a mistake to move him outside. I would assume Clark was informed of his moving to the outside before signing for this year.:)

Errant Hothy
03-07-2007, 04:10 PM

Sure there is since many scouts talked about moving him to the middle well before the draft and the Texans almost immediately started trying him out in the middle.

I thought the Texans moved to him the middle for lack of a better option. I would rather see Ryans stay at MIKE, but from what I've read/heard I not sold Clark can play on the outside that's all.

keyfro
03-07-2007, 04:16 PM
this is dumb...enough with the moving ryans bit...he's our middle linebacker end of story...clark was brought in to play the SAM backer position...greenwood is the starter at the WILL backer position...if you don't like it then go play in traffic because that's how it is...enough with the whinning

Errant Hothy
03-07-2007, 04:19 PM
this is dumb...enough with the moving ryans bit...he's our middle linebacker end of story...clark was brought in to play the SAM backer position...greenwood is the starter at the WILL backer position...if you don't like it then go play in traffic because that's how it is...enough with the whinning

SO if Clark fails at the SAM cause he's to damn slow I'll remind you of this.

A Raider fan, who has seen more of Clark then most of us, brought up the point that Clark is a better fit at the MIKE, so some of us took that to the nest logical step. I beleive most of us said that it was speculation, but since this is the offseason and nothing is hapening today it started a bit of a conversation...so sue us, dill-hole.

infantrycak
03-07-2007, 04:20 PM
I thought the Texans moved to him the middle for lack of a better option.

From the LB coach right after they drafted Ryans:

(on where Ryans will line up) “Right now, it’s a toss-up. We feel like he’s a versatile player that can play all three positions. We want to get him on the field first and see where he fits best in our system. We feel very fortunate to have a guy that is capable of playing three different linebacker positions, and he played them in college, too.”

(on where Morlon Greenwood and Shantee Orr will play) “Morlon is a ‘Will’ linebacker and Shantee is my ‘Sam’ linebacker. They’re two really good players for us, and we’re glad to have them, too.”

Sam Cowart being injured did play a role in how fast Ryans got established at MLB, but once he got into the spot in mini-camps the game was over and Cowart was gone.

HOU-TEX
03-07-2007, 04:22 PM

Nobodies whinning ya nincompoop. It's a discussion. If you don't like it, you can go play with your tinkertoys.:victory:

Errant Hothy
03-07-2007, 04:27 PM
From the LB coach right after they drafted Ryans:

Sam Cowart being injured did play a role in how fast Ryans got established at MLB, but once he got into the spot in mini-camps the game was over and Cowart was gone.

SO if Ryans can play all three, why is everybody so opposed to moving him ouotside, and still amking the calls for teh D, and putting Clark in teh middle where he performs best? Wouldn't the idea be to get teh best guys on the feild at teh same time in positions where they can excell?

texans83
03-07-2007, 04:29 PM
SO if Ryans can play all three, why is everybody so opposed to moving him ouotside, and still amking the calls for teh D, and putting Clark in teh middle where he performs best? Wouldn't the idea be to get teh best guys on the feild at teh same time in positions where they can excell?

this is true

Ole Miss Texan
03-07-2007, 04:29 PM

Yup, and that's EXACTLY what our coaches are going to do. Whether that means demeco is in the middle or outside...i don't care. gimme the best 3 LB tandem out there.

El Tejano
03-07-2007, 05:11 PM
I guess it is easier to find an outside LB than it is to find a middle lb.

keyfro
03-07-2007, 05:56 PM
hoth-boy...first danny clark probably isn't as slow as you presume he is...second the reason he was ousted by oakland was because kirk morrison emerged and the raiders don't exactly make the best roster decisions...there are a lot of raider fans who wanted to see morrison and clark both starting...and why do you assume that clark is going to fail here?...linebacker isn't just about speed...it's about quickness (yes there is a difference), agility, instincts, attitude, and aggressive behavior

hou-tex...i love the tinkertoys bit...i'm assuming you're older than me other wise you wouldn't have dove into a toy box for comment about something i said with no reference to you...bravo...along with nincompoop...haven't heard that one in a long time...once again bravo for the original comment

as for the "discussion" this topic has come up before and looking at our limited options i can/agree with this signing...keep in mind that he did sign a 1yr deal which means we probably did not dump a lot of money for him...we simply are giving him a chance to start...our options right now are to draft a guy and play him as a rookie...or sign another free agent linebacker for the spot which in-case you haven't noticed there really isn't that many quality SAM linebackers in this market...this signing is merely a stop gap signing where he won't be back with us next year...he's here to fill a spot until next year when we have the ability to plug some one for the long term

Bubbajwp
03-07-2007, 06:56 PM
I think we may be drafting a mid round LB hopefully Desmond Bishop to sit behind Clark for one year. Maybe why he only got a one year deal.

Navy_Chris
03-07-2007, 07:32 PM
Um, that's what all the great 3-4 OLB's are.....all of them were College DE's. It's been this way for at least 3 decades. They are "tweeners"...guys that are not ideal to play on the line due to not being big enough and can play in space due to the fact that they aren't so bulky. The 3-4 OLB is your edge rusher (not the 3-4 DE)....they aren't traditional linebackers silly. Some of you guys need some Football 101

Of course I know that they're all former college DE's. I was trying to say that I personally don't like the 3-4. Partly, for the aforementioned reason.

Navy_Chris
03-07-2007, 07:33 PM
I think we may be drafting a mid round LB hopefully Desmond Bishop to sit behind Clark for one year. Maybe why he only got a one year deal.

Desmond Bishop would be an amazing pick! I've said before and I'll say it again...He hits anything that moves. Who wouldn't want a guy like that?

infantrycak
03-07-2007, 08:18 PM
One point which may have been overlooked here is Kubiak saw game film on Clark from his years as a division rival.

shanden
03-07-2007, 10:18 PM

Hopefully a good investment at a reasonable price

Texan_Aggie222
03-07-2007, 10:36 PM
Ughhhh.......the idea of moving Ryans to OLB scares me. I mean Clark signs a one-year deal.......why risk the future of play from Ryans if your going to change his position for one year? I think this is a kind of stop-gap solution meaning they basically told Clark "Look, we need LB help. We can't spend money on a big name free agent, and we are not going to spend a high round draft pick to get one. Now me (Rick Smith) and Kubiak saw you play in Oakland when we were in Denver and we think your pretty decent. You can start for one year and we will go get somebody better next year when we have more money and draft picks. Just sign here."

vtech9
03-08-2007, 12:16 AM
all of these comments are pure speculation on where everyone believes Clark will be playing. The fact is that noone knows for sure where he will be playing. Since he was only signed for one year, he could simply be here to find out if he is a better option. He could challenge Greenwood, Orr, or even Ryans. The point is that if he turns out to be a better than Ryans at MLB, Ryans could be moved to one of the other positions. If it turns out that he can play the sam or will LB spots, and is better than we already have then great. If he can't beat out the players we already have there, he will be a backup or get cut. He is basically here for competition. If he wins a starting job we will be better off. If he can't win a starting position, he will either improve our depth or be gone. No big deal. Don't make more out of this than it is.

South Texan
03-08-2007, 01:01 AM
No way I see him at MLB, but as it said in the Chronicle, he has experience in all three spots. Look for him to challenge Orr for the starting spot.

GP
03-08-2007, 01:54 AM

Yeah, the coaching staff was hesitant about putting DeMeco at the MLB because of the weight of responsibility that falls on the MLB's shoulders.

They put him in there just to see how he'd do, during camp, and he just took to it very naturally. The rest is history.

There won't be any jacking around with DeMeco in terms of where he plays--He's the MLB, he's the guy running the show.

Side note: I'd even go so far as to say that DeMeco is the unofficial captain of this whole football team. I'd go so far as to say that he's the FACE of this team. With all the high draft picks on this team, none of them hold a candle to the job DeMeco has done right from the very beginning. Maybe D-Rob has had that one season where he did pretty well and made an impact a few times for us...but there's been nobody outside of Domanick DAVIS (still cannot call him Williams) who has made the kind of game-changing impact that Demeco has made. If Danny Clark is as good a hitter as they say he is, this can be a really good LBing group.

Ckw
03-08-2007, 02:19 AM
all of these comments are pure speculation on where everyone believes Clark will be playing. The fact is that noone knows for sure where he will be playing. Since he was only signed for one year, he could simply be here to find out if he is a better option. He could challenge Greenwood, Orr, or even Ryans. The point is that if he turns out to be a better than Ryans at MLB, Ryans could be moved to one of the other positions. If it turns out that he can play the sam or will LB spots, and is better than we already have then great. If he can't beat out the players we already have there, he will be a backup or get cut. He is basically here for competition. If he wins a starting job we will be better off. If he can't win a starting position, he will either improve our depth or be gone. No big deal. Don't make more out of this than it is.

I agree with basically everything you have to say but what everyone is freaking out about, due to the crazy moves we have become accustomed to, is the destruction of Demeco. He just got done having one of the most dominant rookie seasons by a MLB ever. I'm not saying it was the best, but it's up there, in my opinion, with the top 10 rookie performances at his position. So what I along with others are a little worried about, not majorly worried just a little, is moving Demeco. I think we would be crazy, which the Texans organization have been in the past, to move Demeco. He is a playmaker and a leader and a perfect MLB. He is quick, smart, can play pretty well in coverage... Do I need to go on? Look I'm excited about seeing what Danny Clark can do, but I will flip if we do anything to change the role of the one bright spot on our Texans defense.

wolf123
03-08-2007, 04:33 AM
I agree with basically everything you have to say but what everyone is freaking out about, due to the crazy moves we have become accustomed to, is the destruction of Demeco. He just got done having one of the most dominant rookie seasons by a MLB ever. I'm not saying it was the best, but it's up there, in my opinion, with the top 10 rookie performances at his position. So what I along with others are a little worried about, not majorly worried just a little, is moving Demeco. I think we would be crazy, which the Texans organization have been in the past, to move Demeco. He is a playmaker and a leader and a perfect MLB. He is quick, smart, can play pretty well in coverage... Do I need to go on? Look I'm excited about seeing what Danny Clark can do, but I will flip if we do anything to change the role of the one bright spot on our Texans defense.

Hey guys, I completely understand everyone's fear of this organization screwing up another good player on our beloved Texans, but keep in mind that we have changed much of our staff from the past regime and the future does not have to mimic the past. That being said, I don't see any reason why Meco would be moved to Sam or Will. The fact is he lacks size for Sam and his coverage skills would be lost at this spot. Likewise, at Will, he may fit the size and has good enough coverage skills and speed, but then the team is loosing some of their run-stopping/tackling machine. I would speculate that Clark is being brought in as, like others have stated, competition for the Will spot/depth and possibly as a 6-year veteran who can impart knowledge to their STAR Mike backer. Don't read to much into this signing, fearing for our young friend's future. He can definitely take care of him self...ie DROY '06!!!!! GO TEXANS :victory: