PDA

View Full Version : Could Lance Briggs land in Houston?

Navy_Chris
03-06-2007, 04:44 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2788148

With the recent news that Briggs wants out of Chicago, I believe the Texans may make a run at him. They went after Porter but failed, so they clearly want a top OLB, which Briggs is. The question is: what do you think Rick Smith would be willing to give up to get him?

dirty steve
03-06-2007, 04:50 PM

With the recent news that Briggs wants out of Chicago, I believe the Texans may make a run at him. They went after Porter but failed, so they clearly want a top OLB, which Briggs is. The question is: what do you think Rick Smith would be willing to give up to get him?

you wanna give up two first round picks for him? i'll pass.

Navy_Chris
03-06-2007, 04:53 PM
you wanna give up two first round picks for him? i'll pass.

read the article. he wants the franchise tag to be rescinded.

Errant Hothy
03-06-2007, 05:01 PM
read the article. he wants the franchise tag to be rescinded.

What he wants and what teh BEars do are two totally different things.

And why is he bitching about making 7+ million this year?

Navy_Chris
03-06-2007, 05:03 PM

He doesn't want to be part of the organization anymore. He feels he's been treated unfairly. He says he'll do "everything in his power to not play for them next season." I wouldn't be surprised if he holds out of camp until something gets done.

Errant Hothy
03-06-2007, 05:07 PM
Once again, what can he do to the Bears? If he does not play with teh tag he does not get paid. Lnace Briggs has ZERO power in this , and he cannot force anything.

Insideop
03-06-2007, 05:08 PM

Answer: NOTHING!

They ain't gonna do it! It's too high of a price to pay, and Kubes and Smith have already said they are not giving up any draft picks. That's why we didn't get Plummer because Denver wanted a draft pick(s). I think Smith and Kubes know how valuable those picks are and they aren't willing to give any up. As a matter of fact, they want more picks, not less. JMHO!

El Amigo Invisible
03-06-2007, 05:59 PM
Answer: NOTHING!

They ain't gonna do it! It's too high of a price to pay, and Kubes and Smith have already said they are not giving up any draft picks. That's why we didn't get Plummer because Denver wanted a draft pick(s). I think Smith and Kubes know how valuable those picks are and they aren't willing to give any up. As a matter of fact, they want more picks, not less. JMHO!

I agree.

Bubbajwp
03-06-2007, 06:04 PM

Once again, what can he do to the Bears? If he does not play with teh tag he does not get paid. Lnace Briggs has ZERO power in this , and he cannot force anything.

Because he may have a career ending injury next year. Really any injury would drop his value alot. So next year when the Franchise tag is removed he is no longer going to get a huge long term deal with alot of garunteed money. Franchise tags are scary for big time players there alot of money know but 0 garunteed money in the future.

IMO Briggs has just as much power as the bears do. Yes he wont get paid if he doesnt play but without Briggs the bears wont repeat what they did last year. The only win win situation I see here is for the bears to trade him.

thetexanator
03-06-2007, 06:43 PM
and he doesnt get any signing bonus money

Blake
03-07-2007, 08:21 AM
I dont see him going anywhere.

It would cost us/any team alot to rip him away from the Bears. The bears will either re-sign him or keep him with the franchise tag.

Errant Hothy
03-07-2007, 08:31 AM
My thoughts:

A) Briggs has no power either he plays for the Bears or he does not get paid. End of story, and the Bears get 7 mil in cap space.

B) Briggs wants a contract at the very least on pr with Joey Porters, which means a minimium of 20 mil quarenteed money, which the Texans could actually handle as long as this year's cap hit isn't to high.

c) If, and I mena if, the Bears want to trade Briggs the price is going to be huge; and one we shouldn't pay.

Texans Horror
03-07-2007, 09:09 AM
I get the feeling this is how things could have gone with Moulds if the Texans hadn't released him. Nothing tangible, just a feeling...