PDA

View Full Version : Chron FanBlog: Texans Courting Quinn

Exithios
03-06-2007, 10:03 AM
http://blogs.chron.com/fanblogtexans/2007/03/texans_still_courting_brady_qu.html

I was reading the Chronicle this morning and saw a new blog up from Thomas Hilton. It not only suggests that we may take Brady Quinn in the 1st round, but that that we may even be interested in trading up for him.

Minneapolis's Star Tribune writes:

Houston, which drafts eighth, has talked to teams about moving up so it can draft Quinn, who did a good job of selling himself on Sunday with the Houston Texans.

Let the rants begin!

texans83
03-06-2007, 10:15 AM
http://blogs.chron.com/fanblogtexans/2007/03/texans_still_courting_brady_qu.html

I was reading the Chronicle this morning and saw a new blog up from Thomas Hilton. It not only suggests that we may take Brady Quinn in the 1st round, but that that we may even be interested in trading up for him.

Houston, which drafts eighth, has talked to teams about moving up so it can draft Quinn, who did a good job of selling himself on Sunday with the Houston Texans.

Let the rants begin!

this is what I heard. Im not apposed to it just as long we dont give up our draft picks.

mexican_texan
03-06-2007, 11:38 AM
Check for a ninja...I just saw a smokescreen.

Vinny
03-06-2007, 11:40 AM
I isn't going to shock me if I see us trade Carr on draft day and make a move for Quinn.

Nawzer
03-06-2007, 11:55 AM
I won't be terribly dissapointed to see Quinn as a Texan. The question is: Who does Kubiak like better Kolb or Brady? I think from the comments from the Texans management those 2 guys as well as Russell are at the top of the board when it comes to qbs in the draft this year. If Kubiak think a guy like Kolb can become a starter for us in a year or two then why should we draft Brady Quinn? On the other hand Quinn has had a very good career at ND and he definitely has first round talent, but with so many other question marks on our team will Kubiak reach for Quinn? I don't know..But it's a possibility that's becoming more interesting as the days go by.

kastofsna
03-06-2007, 12:00 PM
Who does Kubiak like better Kolb or Brady?
probably quinn, like every other GM in the league.

texans83
03-06-2007, 12:00 PM
I won't be terribly dissapointed to see Quinn as a Texan. The question is: Who does Kubiak like better Kolb or Brady? I think from the comments from the Texans management those 2 guys as well as Russell are at the top of the board when it comes to qbs in the draft this year. If Kubiak think a guy like Kolb can become a starter for us in a year or two then why should we draft Brady Quinn? On the other hand Quinn has had a very good career at ND and he definitely has first round talent, but with so many other question marks on our team will Kubiak reach for Quinn? I don't know..But it's a possibility that's becoming more interesting as the days go by.

Kubes was there when BQ had his pro day, him and Clev coach were the only two head coaches there to watch him. I would much rather take Quinn he has already been in a NFL style offense and Charlie Weis has already said that BQ is going to be the next tom Brady. Hmm would you either take the next Tom Brady or a qb that has been in the same spread out passing friendly system for the last 8yrs. I think ill take the next TB IMO. As far as JR Kubes does not like him, he would not fit in our style of offense. He fitts perfect in Oakland where they love to throw the deep ball.

Second Honeymoon
03-06-2007, 12:01 PM
if Kolb didn't play for UofH half you guys wouldnt even know how to spell his name much less want him as the franchise savior. Kolb is a 3rd round talent and reminds me of Carr WAYYYY too much. His release sucks too and playing at UofH is just as bad as Fresno State. Just another small school 'system' QB. Quinn is the QB most prepared to step into the NFL in the draft. Russell has more upside and a stronger arm but is not as polished as Quinn.

Quinn reminds me of Leinart last year. He got punked by a bigger stronger QB in a bowl game and his stock dropped as the #1 pick. I think grabbing Quinn at #8 would be a total coup and that it would essentially be a mulligan after last year's moronic 1st Round drama.

The only player I want more than Quinn in this draft are AP and CJ. For Quinn to fall would be a little bit of karma coming to us after last year's signability BS.

Dunta_23
03-06-2007, 12:07 PM

Maybe if we draft a guy like Quinn....Who is more prepared for a pro-style offense, he may start day 1....Whereas Kolb was playing from the spread and may need a lot more time....

texans83
03-06-2007, 12:09 PM
Maybe if we draft a guy like Quinn....Who is more prepared for a pro-style offense, he may start day 1....Whereas Kolb was playing from the spread and may need a lot more time....

I dont think he will start day 1 but I wouldnt be suprised to see him play half way through the season like all the other rookies last year. I would love to see Qunn in a texans unifor I think he will be great. IMO

real
03-06-2007, 12:11 PM
Sage, Quinn, Ramsey, Porter

texans83
03-06-2007, 12:19 PM
Sage, Quinn, Ramsey, Porter

thats what Im going with, I think Sage can get us through the first half of the season if not the entire season while Quinn takes a back seat like most rookie Qbs.

Second Honeymoon
03-06-2007, 12:20 PM
If we draft Quinn, we need to wait to start him till 2nd year or at least till end of 1st year if we are out of contention or he has really earned it through his reps during the week. I would prefer him to wait till 2nd year to be anointed the starter. We all know what happened the last time we drafted a QB and anointed him the savior and starter from Day One. it has made the last 5 years some of the worst years of football in this city's history.

jerek
03-06-2007, 12:28 PM
I isn't going to shock me if I see us trade Carr on draft day and make a move for Quinn.

I would be a little surprised if we deal Carr, simply because there isn't any one that makes a lot of sense as a replacement, given the combination of desirable skill, experience, price tag, etc. However I will be stunned if we draft Quinn.

texans83
03-06-2007, 12:29 PM
I would be a little surprised if we deal Carr, simply because there isn't any one that makes a lot of sense as a replacement, given the combination of desirable skill, experience, price tag, etc. However I will be stunned if we draft Quinn.

why would you be stunned?

hollywood_texan
03-06-2007, 12:31 PM
thats what Im going with, I think Sage can get us through the first half of the season if not the entire season while Quinn takes a back seat like most rookie Qbs.

With all the open holes on this team in so many positions, how can the Texans afford to take a guy in the 1st round that likely won't start, and if he does start, won't have enough talent around him to get the Texans to .500?

Quinn just doesn't seem that special or different from what is out there every year in the first couple of rounds in the draft.

Just because the Texans decide they now have an issue with the QB position, doesn't mean they have to fix it this year.

Priority #1 is getting to .500 this year and I don't see drafting an average guy like Quinn that didn't have enough talent around him at Notre Dame is going to be to pull off making the Texans better given the current state of personnel.

Every pick this year is extremely precious for Kubiak to build a winner a 2008. QBs are already the riskiest positions to take in the 1st round. By the way, the Texans have never picked an offensive lineman in the first round and will have picked 2 QBs in the first round in their first 5 years of existence if they pick Quinn. It's just too expensive, and I don't see getting out of this Carr mess by drafting Quinn, it's just a reach.

Trenches
03-06-2007, 12:56 PM
With all the open holes on this team in so many positions, how can the Texans afford to take a guy in the 1st round that likely won't start, and if he does start, won't have enough talent around him to get the Texans to .500?

Quinn just doesn't seem that special or different from what is out there every year in the first couple of rounds in the draft.

Just because the Texans decide they now have an issue with the QB position, doesn't mean they have to fix it this year.

Priority #1 is getting to .500 this year and I don't see drafting an average guy like Quinn that didn't have enough talent around him at Notre Dame is going to be to pull off making the Texans better given the current state of personnel.

Every pick this year is extremely precious for Kubiak to build a winner a 2008. QBs are already the riskiest positions to take in the 1st round. By the way, the Texans have never picked an offensive lineman in the first round and will have picked 2 QBs in the first round in their first 5 years of existence if they pick Quinn. It's just too expensive, and I don't see getting out of this Carr mess by drafting Quinn, it's just a reach.

I think priority #1 is putting guys on this team that will help them win game next year and many years to come. If they think Quinn is a guy who can make them great a few years down the line then I'm in. Getting to .500 with no direction at QB does little good. Hurts draft position and keeps the team up in the air another year.

team now has a new GM and coach. with that a fresh start. its time to lay out a 3 year plan and follow thru on it. I want playoffs in 3 yrs or bust.

Nawzer
03-06-2007, 01:01 PM
At this point it's really hard to believe anything team management says in regards to the draft. It's all about positioning yourself to get the best player who you think will fit the team best and also perform the best. So if that player is Quinn so be it, but I would love to see a LaRon Landry or a Levi Brown as a Texan this year.

texans83
03-06-2007, 01:01 PM
I think priority #1 is putting guys on this team that will help them win game next year and many years to come. If they think Quinn is a guy who can make them great a few years down the line then I'm in. Getting to .500 with no direction at QB does little good. Hurts draft position and keeps the team up in the air another year.

team now has a new GM and coach. with that a fresh start. its time to lay out a 3 year plan and follow thru on it. I want playoffs in 3 yrs or bust.

thank you for having a good head on your shoulder. The QB is prob one of the biggest positions we need to fill so why sait till next year hollywoodtexan? If we get a guy like Kolb that so many of you on here want then we might have to wait 2-3 yrs even there you cant teach god given talent, and thats what Quinn has and he would be able to start in 1 yr plus by that time we will have close to 50mil in cap room to make new key free agency picks and by the next year we should be a deff playoff contender.

hollywood_texan
03-06-2007, 01:18 PM
thank you for having a good head on your shoulder. The QB is prob one of the biggest positions we need to fill so why sait till next year hollywoodtexan? If we get a guy like Kolb that so many of you on here want then we might have to wait 2-3 yrs even there you cant teach god given talent, and thats what Quinn has and he would be able to start in 1 yr plus by that time we will have close to 50mil in cap room to make new key free agency picks and by the next year we should be a deff playoff contender.

I don't see how Quinn is going to be able to start and make an immediate impact in 2007 for the Texans. If he can, then he probably could have carried Notre Dame to quality wins against top tier opponents. That is just how I see it.

A 1st round draft pick is inherently risky, QBs are probably the riskiest, where RBs are probably way overpriced for value you can find in later rounds.

I see this Quinn issue as very similar to 2002. The Texans didn't have to have a QB right away. This team has so many holes and drafting an average QB isn't going to make this team better in the short run or long run.

My preference would be offensive line or defensive secondary in the first round at #8. Taking a QB in the first round twice in five years is just a bit much. I don't see how you can really draft out of the Carr mess, it's just a strech and too much to ask from someone like Quinn that wasn't that successful because he didn't have the talent around him at Notre Dame. Most 1st round QBs don't live up to expectations, and that is the least thing the Texans can afford right now.

kastofsna
03-06-2007, 01:21 PM
just way too simplistic look at things. "he couldn't beat USC, so he won't be able to make an immediate impact in the NFL." what?? completely unrelated events. look at the player himself.

texans83
03-06-2007, 01:23 PM
I don't see how Quinn is going to be able to start and make an immediate impact in 2007 for the Texans. If he can, then he probably could have carried Notre Dame to quality wins against top tier opponents. That is just how I see it.

A 1st round draft pick is inherently risky, QBs are probably the riskiest, where RBs are probably way overpriced for value you can find in later rounds.

I see this Quinn issue as very similar to 2002. The Texans didn't have to have a QB right away. This team has so many holes and drafting an average QB isn't going to make this team better in the short run or long run.

My preference would be offensive line or defensive secondary in the first round at #8. Taking a QB in the first round twice in five years is just a bit much. I don't see how you can really draft out of the Carr mess, it's just a strech and too much to ask from someone like Quinn that wasn't that successful because he didn't have the talent around him at Notre Dame.

So you say that Quinn should have won them BIg games huh? well what the hell is he going to do play defense also, come on man look out side the box. Quinn had really no offence slow recievers but he still got them the ball and their defense well man were they horrible. Quinn would have to outscore the opponet by 40 points just so they could be in it. You really didnt watch any football or any ND football this past year did you? This is a new Coach and he wants a fresh start with the QB position, how is it risky the man played in a pro style offese with a mediocure team but was still sucessfull. I just dont understand it.

texans83
03-06-2007, 01:24 PM
just way too simplistic look at things. "he couldn't beat USC, so he won't be able to make an immediate impact in the NFL." what?? completely unrelated events. look at the player himself.

THANK YOU!!!!

jerek
03-06-2007, 01:29 PM
why would you be stunned?

I've spoken about my reservations about Quinn elsewhere, but to summarize, I don't think of Quinn as much more than a poor man's Tom Brady--a game manager type who just isn't that likely to succeed, much less right away, behind our still porous offensive line. However I suspect Quinn will be relatively successful in the NFL eventually, but more importantly we have too many other more glaring needs to address and I just don't see us using our first pick and an eight figure salary on a dubious upgrade to a position that I still think we can at least simply make do with.

I think the chances of us trading up for him are nil though if he falls to us (which is possible) I'd guess we'll take a long, hard look, though I'm still at this time partial to us drafting Landry at FS.

thunderkyss
03-06-2007, 01:31 PM

I think we'd have been ok picking a QB last year. I can see us picking a QB with our 1st this year. There are a number of ways to address "holes"

I agree. I don't think he's that special.

I agree. there has got to be something special about the guy to take him in the first round.

I've never seen a QB drafted because he has the ability to get a team to .500 as a rookie. 1st round QBs are about where they can take your team in the future. If you draft a QB & start him right away, you're saying, "we don't care about winning this year" I don't think we are there yet. I believe the Texans want to win in '07, so if we draft Quinn, it's not about what he can do for us in '07

Every pick this year is extremely precious for Kubiak to build a winner a 2008.

I don't think we're waiting on '08.

QBs are already the riskiest positions to take in the 1st round. By the way, the Texans have never picked an offensive lineman in the first round and will have picked 2 QBs in the first round in their first 5 years of existence if they pick Quinn. It's just too expensive, and I don't see getting out of this Carr mess by drafting Quinn, it's just a reach.

Forget about Carr. The only reason we would draft Quinn, is if Kubiak/Smith believe he is special.

You don't believe he is special.

I don't believe he is special.

It isn't going to happen.

Let's stop wasting our time talking about Quinn, and get back to some good 'ole David Carr bashing. :whip:

hollywood_texan
03-06-2007, 02:09 PM
So you say that Quinn should have won them BIg games huh? well what the hell is he going to do play defense also, come on man look out side the box. Quinn had really no offence slow recievers but he still got them the ball and their defense well man were they horrible. Quinn would have to outscore the opponet by 40 points just so they could be in it. You really didnt watch any football or any ND football this past year did you? This is a new Coach and he wants a fresh start with the QB position, how is it risky the man played in a pro style offese with a mediocure team but was still sucessfull. I just dont understand it.

I watched several Notre Dames games, the two that really stick out in my mind are the Fiesta and Sugar Bowls. In both of those games, I didn't see that the talent around Brady Quinn was holding him back.

You are making the same excuses for Quinn that are made for Carr, poor offensive line, no WRs, and a defense that can't hold anyone.

Charlies Weiss is suppose to be this Wizard of an offensive mind and be such a great judge of talent, yet in two years he can't pull one game out at Notre Dame to put them back in the top tier while using the amazing talent of Brady Quinn?

I said this earlier, players make the coaches, not the other way around. Having said that, I don't see Brady Quinn as that unique. Still a very good talent but not a good fit for the Texans right considering the state of the personnel.

The Texans would be better served drafting an offensive lineman or defensive secondary. Guys like Quinn are always around and if Kubiak is as good of a QB coach, he should be able to scout that talent and develop it without using a 1st round draft pick on a typical talent like Quinn.

hollywood_texan
03-06-2007, 02:11 PM
Let's stop wasting our time talking about Quinn, and get back to some good 'ole David Carr bashing. :whip:
Quinn is Carr, remember those Diet Pepsi commercials where they zip open people? That is what is going to happen here if the Texans draft Quinn.

Quinn = Carr.

Carr probably is Quinn's father and trying to get him to go to the Dark Side.

kastofsna
03-06-2007, 02:14 PM
boy i'd love to find players like brady quinn just lying around. every team would be a lot better.

quinn did pretty good in that fiesta bowl, actually. you're right, they probably should've been able to pull out a win or two against those high-powered teams. but on the same token, you'd expect the defense to give up less than 40 pointsin those big games. notre dame allowed more big plays than ANYone. unbelievable.

blame charlie weiss if ya want, i guess. but that has nothing to do with quinn. he did as well as he could in those situations.

you're focusing on such a ridiculous detail to make your opinion on a player and why you don't want him on your team.

texans83
03-06-2007, 02:17 PM
I watched several Notre Dames games, the two that really stick out in my mind are the Fiesta and Sugar Bowls. In both of those games, I didn't see that the talent around Brady Quinn was holding him back.

You are making the same excuses for Quinn that are made for Carr, poor offensive line, no WRs, and a defense that can't hold anyone.

Charlies Weiss is suppose to be this Wizard of an offensive mind and be such a great judge of talent, yet in two years he can't pull one game out at Notre Dame to put them back in the top tier while using the amazing talent of Brady Quinn?

I said this earlier, players make the coaches, not the other way around. Having said that, I don't see Brady Quinn as that unique. Still a very good talent but not a good fit for the Texans right considering the state of the personnel.

The Texans would be better served drafting an offensive lineman or defensive secondary. Guys like Quinn are always around and if Kubiak is as good of a QB coach, he should be able to scout that talent and develop it without using a 1st round draft pick on a typical talent like Quinn.

Im not making any excuses although ou make some good points but I do not aree. Quinn is very diffrent then Carr and he is already ready for the NFL. Carr in 5 seasons isent quite there yet. Quinn did the big games he has meat Michigan and what was Notre Dame berfor Quinn got there? They wernt one of the leagues top passing offenses I can assure you that. How can you say Quinn wont fit in Kubes system? They pretty muuch run the same system the texans run. A bunch of play action!!

Errant Hothy
03-06-2007, 02:19 PM
boy i'd love to find players like brady quinn just lying around. every team would be a lot better.

quinn did pretty good in that fiesta bowl, actually. you're right, they probably should've been able to pull out a win or two against those high-powered teams. but on the same token, you'd expect the defense to give up less than 40 pointsin those big games. notre dame allowed more big plays than ANYone. unbelievable.

blame charlie weiss if ya want, i guess. but that has nothing to do with quinn. he did as well as he could in those situations.

you're focusing on such a ridiculous detail to make your opinion on a player and why you don't want him on your team.

Quoted for Truth!

Hulk75
03-06-2007, 02:21 PM

If thats what they are going to do, then do it. Finally start to get good and its thanks for everything Dave see yea. Freaking got to love it dont you. Been a freakin punching bag while your team gets better then ditch him.

texans83
03-06-2007, 02:22 PM
If thats what they are going to do, then do it. Finally start to get good and its thanks for everything Dave see yea. Freaking got to love it dont you. Been a freakin punching bag while your team gets better then ditch him.

hahaa dude its nothing personal but its time we went our seperate ways.

Hulk75
03-06-2007, 02:26 PM
hahaa dude its nothing personal but its time we went our seperate ways.

hahaha..............nothing funny about it.

hollywood_texan
03-06-2007, 02:29 PM
It's the detail that makes or break your team. It's also the detail that is important in picking a Franchise QB that you are hitching yourself too for the next 5 years or so.

I am just not sold on Quinn. For the record, I am rarely sold on QBs in the first round. They normally don't live up to expecations, just look at the last 10 drafts of the 1st round and you see a very high failure rate.

There is no question Quinn has physical talent and the work ethic. It's just the play on the field isn't to a high of standard to take in the 1st round by the Texans considering all the other needs this team has. Just my opinion.

I qualify that with one item, how did the interviews go with Quinn and how willing is he to work within the system and do what he is told?

You have to admit, taking a Quinn is a bit of a strech, particularly when the Texans still haven't addressed issues with the offensive line and has a defense that can musceled around, which are the reasons you give why Quinn wasn't that successful at Notre Dame when it comes to the big game.

kastofsna
03-06-2007, 02:31 PM
if you drafted players for one year, then it'd be a bad idea to draft quinn now before fully addressing the o-line and defense. but...it's a long term situation, no? rome wasn't built overnight. and super bowl winners weren't either.

hollywood_texan
03-06-2007, 02:32 PM

Hulk, for what it is worth to ya, I would rather have Carr as the QB next year than Brady Quinn.

yourfavoritetexan42
Why would the prefer kolb? I know high school quarterbacks who would be more appealing than kolb...but of course they don't have houston swinging at their nuts like kolb does with all the houston fans...for no apparent reason because he is 6th to 7th round talent at best.

ledzeppelin229

I think you have this out of order. "...you ditch him then your team gets better" is more accurate, to me. Nothing in David's play has made him appear to be part of the solution to improving the team.

Porky

Life's rough all over. If it hurts so bad, maybe a donation to a certain swine would alleviate the pain? :marionaner:

hollywood_texan
03-06-2007, 02:33 PM
if you drafted players for one year, then it'd be a bad idea to draft quinn now before fully addressing the o-line and defense. but...it's a long term situation, no? rome wasn't built overnight. and super bowl winners weren't either.
Agreed on building a Super Bowl winner takes time and a plan.

But, I don't see drafting Quinn is all that critical at this juncture for the Texans.

texans83
03-06-2007, 02:34 PM
Why would the prefer kolb? I know high school quarterbacks who would be more appealing than kolb...but of course they don't have houston swinging at their nuts like kolb does with all the houston fans...for no apparent reason because he is 6th to 7th round talent at best.

Finially someone who thinks clearly!!! This is what ive been saying. Good to have someone to relate to.

kastofsna
03-06-2007, 02:34 PM
based on your posts against kolb, your ONLY reasoning against kolb is that people like him. pretty comical analysis.

yourfavoritetexan42
03-06-2007, 02:42 PM
based on your posts against kolb, your ONLY reasoning against kolb is that people like him. pretty comical analysis.

nah, ive given my logical reason many times, but I thought people were tired of hearing it...so here ill give it once more:

Kolb is 6-3 225 your average quarterback size and weight. He puts up some alright numbers, don't get me wrong. But if Lousiana Lafeyette and Southern Miss are those defenses that have your number, I do not want to see what the patriots or bears defense might do to you. Yes I know football is a team sport... but he was the leader of that team, and two consecutive losses to programs that, well, just suck, isn't impressive. He was put on center stage against a decent south carolina team, he chokes, throwing one stupid interception and not able to get anythign going in the second half in order to give houston a win in their rare bowl game appearance.

He had decent stats, has ok arm strength and he actually is pretty smart wiht the ball, that is when their schedule is stacked UCF and southern methodist. I wonder if the Texans can schedule those two schools in for preseason...that a way they can win over a few more fans hearts over kolb... Other than that he is a mediocre quarterback in college, and that translates to a holder at best in the nfl.

DomDavis
03-06-2007, 02:42 PM

That's the silliest logic I've ever heard. Either he averages 45 ppg against the most elite college defenses in the country, or he can't be of any use to an NFL team?

Kaiser Toro
03-06-2007, 02:45 PM
Hopefully it is just rumor. In my opinion there are only three players you trade up for in this draft - Johnson, Thomas and Peterson. Moreover, there is only one that fits a glaring need, Thomas. Outside of that it makes no sense fiscally to let go of a high priced QB who never realized his potential to take one that will potentially hamstring us again from a cap perspective as we will be talking about potential, again, until he is put into production.

We cannot mortgage out future for Quinn. If he is at eight, then he has value for us.

Ole Miss Texan
03-06-2007, 02:51 PM
nah, ive given my logical reason many times, but I thought people were tired of hearing it...so here ill give it once more:

Kolb is 6-3 225 your average quarterback size and weight. He puts up some alright numbers, don't get me wrong. But if Lousiana Lafeyette and Southern Miss are those defenses that have your number, I do not want to see what the patriots or bears defense might do to you. Yes I know football is a team sport... but he was the leader of that team, and two consecutive losses to programs that, well, just suck, isn't impressive. He was put on center stage against a decent south carolina team, he chokes, throwing one stupid interception and not able to get anythign going in the second half in order to give houston a win in their rare bowl game appearance.

He had decent stats, has ok arm strength and he actually is pretty smart wiht the ball, that is when their schedule is stacked UCF and southern methodist. I wonder if the Texans can schedule those two schools in for preseason...that a way they can win over a few more fans hearts over kolb... Other than that he is a mediocre quarterback in college, and that translates to a holder at best in the nfl.

I know you're mainly talking about that as a QB position...but you're making a case to ONLY draft QB's from the big schools...the big conferences.... That's a very bad arguement. i know what you're getting at but...Tony Romo beat a few pretty good teams this year and he went to where? South East Illinois State A&M community college? something like that.

real
03-06-2007, 02:56 PM
Hopefully it is just rumor. In my opinion there are only three players you trade up for in this draft - Johnson, Thomas and Peterson. Moreover, there is only one that fits a glaring need, Thomas. Outside of that it makes no sense fiscally to let go of a high priced QB who never realized his potential to take one that will potentially hamstring us again from a cap perspective as we will be talking about potential, again, until he is put into production.

We cannot mortgage out future for Quinn. If he is at eight, then he has value for us.

I agree with this...

I'm against trading up for Quinn...I'd rather just sit and take Landry or BPA...

kastofsna
03-06-2007, 02:57 PM

i can agree with that.

TEXANRED
03-06-2007, 03:01 PM

:tearup: :gun:

TexanSam
03-06-2007, 03:03 PM
I wouldn't mind Quinn, but I don't want to trade up for him. We need all the draft picks we can get.

Trenches
03-06-2007, 03:21 PM

its not like the guy wasnt compensated for his time here. he was a very well paid punching bag.

U4ikrob
03-06-2007, 03:24 PM
Maybe its just me, but i'm not reall y all that high on Quinn or Kolb. IMO We need starters, depth, skill position players and only average QB play atm.

IMO If Quinn is drafted by Houston he will be holding a clipboard and we cant afford that right now - we need starters in the first 3 rounds of this draft and the next 2...

Honestly if its me at the table -I would sign an average QB to compete with Carr in camp and spend our money getting more starters for the team. This draft is deep in defensive talent - IMO hope the FO uses their heads when drafting and either trades down for more picks or keeps the pick and goes BPA - and not a QB. If quinn is there @ 8 I would shop the heck out of that pick. and try and get another 1 or 2 first day picks for it which usually translates to starters.

ledzeppelin229
03-06-2007, 03:25 PM
I don't think there is any way we trade up for Quinn. We could take him, but we won't give up picks to do it. If Quinn goes before us then it means a highly rated player drops to our spot. If anything it sounds like we are trying to scare a team into trading up ahead of us to take him and guarantee another player fall to us.

Of course now that I've said it I doubt it ever happens (the someone trading ahead of us.). I remember before the Hollings trade, and really didn't know anything about the guy except for his ypc, and I had some mindless thought that the Texans would give up a second for him. I didn't know what the #$%& I was talking about but unfortunately it was enough of a ridiculous idea that it became exactly what CC did. I just hope I haven't jinxed the draft. (And that includes saying that the Texans won't trade up for Quinn...that statement probably raised the probability a little.)

texans83
03-06-2007, 03:29 PM
Maybe its just me, but i'm not reall y all that high on Quinn or Kolb. IMO We need starters, depth, skill position players and only average QB play atm.

IMO If Quinn is drafted by Houston he will be holding a clipboard and we cant afford that right now - we need starters in the first 3 rounds of this draft and the next 2...

Honestly if its me at the table -I would sign an average QB to compete with Carr in camp and spend our money getting more starters for the team. This draft is deep in defensive talent - IMO hope the FO uses their heads when drafting and either trades down for more picks or keeps the pick and goes BPA - and not a QB. If quinn is there @ 8 I would shop the heck out of that pick. and try and get another 1 or 2 first day picks for it which usually translates to starters.

Why so when we have so many holes to fill you dont want to fill the most inportant one? I just dont understand, by the time he is ready which will be after this year we will have 50mil in cap space and hopefully would have had 2 great drafts. By the time he would go in it would be a completly diff team. If you feel other holes now and wait on a qb you will just be doing the same thing later down the road. People want to win so bad now but im sorry we arent giong to win the super bowl next year. get over it. We have to start over and Kubes/Smith are doing a good job of it so far.

texans83
03-06-2007, 03:31 PM
They already said they wernt going to give up any picks for someone so im not implying that, what im saying is if cleveland wants to take carr and our number 8 for there number 3 or whatever I would do it and take Quinn.

Second Honeymoon
03-06-2007, 03:39 PM

wah wah wah....cry more please...carr has sucked since Day One...he is the problem not the solution

real
03-06-2007, 03:40 PM
They already said they wernt going to give up any picks for someone so im not implying that, what im saying is if cleveland wants to take carr and our number 8 for there number 3 or whatever I would do it and take Quinn.

This is the exact reason we wont trade up for Quinn...

If we trade up with Clevland, we'd be gauranteed either Joe Thomas, AP, or Calvin Johnson....Which IMO are the top three picks in the draft...

Second Honeymoon
03-06-2007, 03:40 PM
hahaha..............nothing funny about it.

translation: my peepee hurts

Second Honeymoon
03-06-2007, 03:42 PM

agreed...we cant trade up to get the guy...that is dumb.. at 8 he has huge value

texans83
03-06-2007, 03:42 PM
This is the exact reason we wont trade up for Quinn...

If we trade up with Clevland, we'd be gauranteed either Joe Thomas, AP, or Calvin Johnson....Which IMO are the top three picks in the draft...

I doubt they would take AP, I would love JT or CJ or BQ so any of those would be great.

thunderkyss
03-06-2007, 04:10 PM

I agree with that.

thunderkyss
03-06-2007, 04:17 PM

What if we get 2 starters on Day one, and 2 starters on Day two(say like an Owen Daniels & an Eric Moulds) & someone who did contribute & shows some promise like Lundy & Anderson?? would it be so bad if we get all that, plus a franchise QB??

If we don't think he's a franchise QB, pass on him, trade him & the spot for more picks. But if we think he's a franchise QB, & we have an opportunity to get him, let's get him. Hopefully, we won't be in this position for a long time to come.

Let's cut Carr, spend the money we save($5million) on getting more starters. Let Sage, BVP, Ramsey, and anybody else we can get into camp to compete for the job, let Quinn learn & adjust to the NFL.

hollywood_texan
03-06-2007, 04:23 PM
That's the silliest logic I've ever heard. Either he averages 45 ppg against the most elite college defenses in the country, or he can't be of any use to an NFL team?

I never said scoring points was the issue. My point was the offense didn't control the game with Brady Quinn at the helm in those big games. I really don't care for the excuses when a player plays for top tier school with a highly regarded offensive minded coach from the NFL. In two years, they should have been able to pull one big game out. Maybe it wasn't Quinn's fault, but I just don't see how he is that special to carry a team like the Texans.

Also, you guys imply a team scoring 45 points is completely the fault of the opposing defense. But, if an offense doesn't control the clock and leaves a short field, it makes it harder for the defense to do their job.

Also, I never said Quinn wouldn't be of any use to an NFL team.

Given the current state of affairs right now, the Texans really don't need to be investing in a QB prospect that isn't that much different that is out there every year. Quinn has talent but I don't see how is going to perform better with less with the Texans, which I think we can all agree is the case and is Carr's issue right now.

real
03-06-2007, 04:47 PM
I never said scoring points was the issue. My point was the offense didn't control the game with Brady Quinn at the helm in those big games. I really don't care for the excuses when a player plays for top tier school with a highly regarded offensive minded coach from the NFL. In two years, they should have been able to pull one big game out. Maybe it wasn't Quinn's fault, but I just don't see how he is that special to carry a team like the Texans.

Also, you guys imply a team scoring 45 points is completely the fault of the opposing defense. But, if an offense doesn't control the clock and leaves a short field, it makes it harder for the defense to do their job.

Given the current state of affairs right now, the Texans really don't need to be investing in a QB prospect that isn't that much different that is out there every year. Quinn has talent but I don't see how is going to perform better with less with the Texans, which I think we can all agree is the case and is Carr's issue right now.

I really....really....really....really....HATE....to argue against this, but....

Before Weiss showed up at Notre Dame, they were pretty much obsolete...They didn't have a lot of talent, and little to no playmakers...

None of that changed in the short time that Weiss had the team...How could it have changed within a 2 yr span ? How could he have brought in that many talented players at one time ?

So that means the only thing that really changed for them was the coach, and the system...

No coach or system is going to take a team that has that little talent and have them competing against top tier teams and the Nt'l champion...You HAVE to have a QB for that to happen...i.e the Jets, Saints, Titans...

Simplified: Notre Dame had the talent level of Georgia Tech...if that...

But they were still able to hang with big time teams BECAUSE they had a competent Qb that could make plays when the needed them most...

Which is the exact opposite of what we have now...

hollywood_texan
03-06-2007, 04:55 PM
I really....really....really....really....HATE....to argue against this, but....

Before Weiss showed up at Notre Dame, they were pretty much obsolete...They didn't have a lot of talent, and little to no playmakers...

None of that changed in the short time that Weiss had the team...How could it have changed within a 2 yr span ? How could he have brought in that many talented players at one time ?

So that means the only thing that really changed for them was the coach, and the system...

No coach or system is going to take a team that has that little talent and have them competing against top tier teams and the Nt'l champion...You HAVE to have a QB for that to happen...i.e the Jets, Saints, Titans...

Simplified: Notre Dame had the talent level of Georgia Tech...if that...

But they were still able to hang with big time teams BECAUSE they had a competent Qb that could make plays when the needed them most...

Which is the exact opposite of what we have now...

I just don't see great things from Quinn. He's good, but that is about it.

I agree he has the physical tools, but there is just something not there to make an immediate impact for the Texans in my opinion.

From all accounts, he has a very strong and determined work ethic, but I just don't see him carrying an NFL team, which is what the Texans need right now if they are going to take a QB in the first round this year.

texans83
03-06-2007, 04:59 PM

I agree he has the physical tools, but there is just something not there to make an immediate impact for the Texans in my opinion.

From all accounts, he has a very strong and determined work ethic, but I just don't see him carrying an NFL team, which is what the Texans need right now if they are going to take a QB in the first round this year.

Ok now you are just saying things just to argue. We have already told you the things that make him great. Things that make him diffrent then anyone else in this draft.

real
03-06-2007, 04:59 PM

I don't think Quinn is a VY/Peyton Manning flashy type QB who can almost single handedly take a game over....

But I do think he is a Drew Brees/ tom Brady type guy who can get the ball to his weapons consistently...

IMO, that's all we need at this point....

But hey, I respect your opinion, and by no means is Brady Quinn a sure thing.

thunderkyss
03-06-2007, 05:03 PM

And there is nothing wrong with that....

But if he isn't that special(like you & I think) do you think Kubiak/Smith would draft him instead of drafting another talented player at a position of need, or use the oportunity to draft him, to trade down, and acquire more picks??

I don't, especially when there are guys like JaredZabransky, Kolb, Stanton, and Leak that will be available later in the draft, and might even go undrafted.

In my mind, if Kubiak takes him, he sees something in Quinn that the others don't have. & I trust Kubiak enough to make that decision.

that is of course unless a certain QB starts for this team in '07... then he loses all credibility as far as I'm concerned.

texans83
03-06-2007, 05:05 PM
And there is nothing wrong with that....

But if he isn't that special(like you & I think) do you think Kubiak/Smith would draft him instead of drafting another talented player at a position of need, or use the oportunity to draft him, to trade down, and acquire more picks??

I don't, especially when there are guys like JaredZabransky, Kolb, Stanton, and Leak that will be available later in the draft, and might even go undrafted.

In my mind, if Kubiak takes him, he sees something in Quinn that the others don't have. & I trust Kubiak enough to make that decision.

that is of course unless a certain QB starts for this team in '07... then he loses all credibility as far as I'm concerned.

Well Kubes must see something in him bc He was the only head Coach at his Pro day.

hollywood_texan
03-06-2007, 05:09 PM

Before I answer that question, I would like to know if Kubiak was sold on Carr this time last year before Carr was paid that $8 million.

If Carr was a package deal for Kubiak to get the job, fair enough and I will trust Kubiak's decision on Quinn. However, if he was sold on Carr and oked the $8 million and is ditching Carr one year later and drafting Quinn, that really concerns me.

hollywood_texan
03-06-2007, 05:11 PM
Ok now you are just saying things just to argue. We have already told you the things that make him great. Things that make him diffrent then anyone else in this draft.

It's really a different perspective than an arguement.

I am sure this issue is being heavily discussed if the Texans are serious about Quinn.

I am not really against Quinn as much as filling other needs first.

The QB position is a mess right now and I think trying to recover from that right now may not be the best course of action.

StateChamps06
03-06-2007, 05:35 PM
I agree, if Quinn is still on the board I'd jump all over it. It'll be very intereting to see how Quinn will shape in the next few years under Kubiak. If all else fails, Javorskie Lane will be in the draft in one or two years. That guy is freaking insane. Plus, he made the Texas secondary look like a bunch of fifth graders.

Farough
03-06-2007, 07:19 PM

Quinn had the big win sealed up in his junior season, against USC.. but their horrific defense managed to allow a long play on 4th and 10 to screw it up.

Ole Miss Texan
03-06-2007, 07:33 PM
Quinn had the big win sealed up in his junior season, against USC.. but their horrific defense managed to allow a long play on 4th and 10 to screw it up.

Quinn should have won that gooossh!! That was such a pretty play leinart to jarrett? ND actually had that pass all covered i still don't know how he caught it. ND also caused Leinart to fumble it on the 1 but it went out of bounds. Then there was the heads up 'slightly illegal? push by bush. that was a sweet game although i wanted ND to win.

I'm really starting to get sad. If carr is gonna be gone and it's sage/ramsey...i'm hoping Quinn falls to us and we take him. The only thing that would be cool is if the Texans came out with a Green jersey...lol you know how ND wore green on special occasions...okay i'll stop.

Landry is still my #1 boy but ....Quinn is sneaking up there if our team solidifies these rumors. I don't see us trading carr, if we do, untill draft day and we see what the deal is with the players getting selected.

Everyone think carr's best chance is oakland??

JAXwithanX
03-06-2007, 08:37 PM
Check for a ninja...I just saw a smokescreen.

This should be an automatic reply on the board everytime someone brings up what an outside newspaper suggests or 'hears'.

I know this is from a blog on the Houston Chronicle, but the quote is from Minneapolis.

Which isn't to say I don't want them posted....hell I post them. Just that they should be taken with a grain of salt.

Wolf
03-06-2007, 09:18 PM

Even after the Texans landed free agent RB Ahman Green, various sources are claiming that the Texans are aggressively pursuing Brady Quinn, even if they have to trade draft picks. The

This honestly would make me sick

If we are to give anything up to move up...better be for Adrian Peterson.

Navy_Chris
03-06-2007, 09:19 PM

This honestly would make me sick

I would love to have Quinn, but he'll probably fall to 8, anyway.

dtran04
03-06-2007, 09:24 PM
Everytime I hear rumors, I always think back to how Reggie was a shoe in. Mario came into the picture maybe a week or two draft day began.

Wolf
03-06-2007, 09:31 PM
before anyone wants to bash me on this..before you speak..look at my post history about the subject and what i have said over the last year about it..

I will be ticked if we decide to draft Quinn now instead of VY last year

hollywood_texan
03-07-2007, 12:11 PM
before anyone wants to bash me on this..before you speak..look at my post history about the subject and what i have said over the last year about it..

I will be ticked if we decide to draft Quinn now instead of VY last year

It's even worse if they trade up for Quinn.

If they draft Quinn by trading up and it doesn't pan out and the Texans continue to struggle, meanwhile VY takes the Titans to a deep playoff run for several years, or even worse a Super Bowl victory, the Franchise will lose all credibility.

How can you say in one year you don't have a QB issue, reup a guy for $8 million so you can't draft a QB while you are sitting at the #1 pick, then get rid of the $8 million guy the following year to end up trading up to get Quinn.

The total cost of ownership for Quinn is too big to handle.

Best bet right now, is to ride out this QB mess because I don't think Quinn is good enough to carry the load that will be required for him to be considered successful.

If you thought there were high expectations for Carr, they are going to be higher for Quinn, and is Quinn that good to carry the team if it comes to that? I don't think so because he couldn't carry Notre Dame on his back with Charlie Weiss as the offensive minded guru.

Just as last year wasn't a normal year for the Texans to pickup a QB, same thing this year. They missed the boat and trying to draft out of this QB mess is too risky.

Fiddy
03-07-2007, 12:27 PM
I will lose all faith in this organization if they draft Quinn. The guy is horrible but because he played for Notre Dame, he is thought to be a god.

kastofsna
03-07-2007, 12:57 PM
I will lose all faith in this organization if they draft Quinn. The guy is horrible but because he played for Notre Dame, he is thought to be a god.
brilliant analysis.