PDA

View Full Version : A. Green = Bad Deal

prostock101
03-06-2007, 12:05 AM
Am I the only one that thinks this was a deal not worth making? A FA running back with 9 years on the clock for 23 mil? Let's just change the name to the Green Bay Broncos and be done with it. I guess since neither Denver or Green Bay had an OT they didn't want we just took what they had just to look like we were doing something.

I could be wrong.....but I'm not.

Still a genius............yep.

TexanSam
03-06-2007, 12:07 AM
Someone's full of himself...

And FYI, not all the $23 million is guaranteed. Only about $7 million is.

ledzeppelin229
Am I the only one that thinks this was a deal not worth making? A FA running back with 9 years on the clock for 23 mil? Let's just change the name to the Green Bay Broncos and be done with it. I guess since neither Denver or Green Bay had an OT they didn't want we just took what they had just to look like we were doing something.

He is only guaranteed 6.5 million. So if he can just last a couple seasons, the cap hit will not be that significant. It's nice not looking at our backfield and seeing Gado, Lundy, and Taylor as our only options.

macaronitoni
Submit your resume to Bob McNair or get over yourself. I'm sick of all these people in here that think they know better!

LORK 88
03-06-2007, 12:10 AM
Submit your resume to Bob McNair or get over yourself. I'm sick of all these people in here that think they know better!
Well put! Green is a proven RB who Sherman knows how to utilize, whats wrong with that? Hell, 2 strike Henry got $12 million guaranteed, almost that of Green. A more proven RB who is a better person by far and has been a better player for cheaper doesn't to be a bad idea to me.

DRAMA
03-06-2007, 12:11 AM
The art of satire is overlooked as a method of artistic expression. Never forget that until you do forget it and then and only then will you forget that then. Remember that.

GoTexans
03-06-2007, 12:12 AM
Ahman Green played 14 games last year and rushed for over a tousand yards with an offensive line not better than the Texans. Its a nice upgrade. And now we can cut Domanick Williams and maybe add a few more solid FA's.

Green, Dayne, Taylor and Lundy I like the options.

Two proven vets and two guys entering there second seasons.

And no more draft Adrian Peterson threads to boot.

prostock101
03-06-2007, 12:17 AM
Ok, signing Green was the greatest thing since sliced bread and tennis shoes. Sooooooooooo, where's the OL help we've needed since........we'll its been too long to remember, but it's been a long time. Has everyone forgotten how bad our OL is? Oh, and by the way, we still don't have a DL that can pressure a QB. I guess a RB at the end of his career will fix all that.....

And still a......well, you know.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
03-06-2007, 12:20 AM
Ok, signing Green was the greatest thing since sliced bread and tennis shoes. Sooooooooooo, where's the OL help we've needed since........we'll its been too long to remember, but it's been a long time. Has everyone forgotten how bad our OL is? Oh, and by the way, we still don't have a DL that can pressure a QB. I guess a RB at the end of his career will fix all that.....

You tell us, where's the OL help? Which free agent offensive lineman would you have signed considering the money that is being thrown around?

prostock101
03-06-2007, 12:25 AM
You tell us, where's the OL help? Which free agent offensive lineman would you have signed considering the money that is being thrown around?

I heard there were several available in NFL Europe and the Arena Football League...........Cheap!

LORK 88
03-06-2007, 12:26 AM

Not everything can be fixed within 4 days of free agency, so be patient. We still have the draft and time to look at some more solid FA prospects. The Green signing is a good start and step in the right direction which is why most are excited, not because we think we got LT.

Wolf
03-06-2007, 12:28 AM
I heard there were several available in NFL Europe and the Arena Football League...........Cheap!

wow ...just wow

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
03-06-2007, 12:30 AM

You are officially not a genius.........yep.

Napa Auto Parts
03-06-2007, 12:31 AM
A.Green is not that bad of a move i mean we did pass up reggie bush just so we can spend millions on a RB on the wrong side of 30 :stirpot:

Texas_Thrill
03-06-2007, 12:31 AM

You aren't the only one that thinks this is not a good deal. I really was ok with Dayne, Lundy, and Taylor. I'd like to see more of Taylor.

That being said I'd rather have drafted a young back. This feels like us signing Moulds all over again only to let him go after one season.

JAXwithanX
03-06-2007, 12:34 AM

I can't help but notice you weren't trying to convince yourself you were smart at the end of this post. Seems fitting considering how stupid it is.

So I guess by your rationale...one of the mirade of pass rushing DL's would have fixed our O-Line and also ran the ball as well. Or that one of the amazing prospects on the O-Line would have fixed our non-existent pass rush? But I am happy to see that you do actually have enough logic to realize no RB (regardless of age) can also help our O-Line and D-Line. Yeah thats right kid, it takes one player at a time.

I feel like i need to make a thread just so everyone knows we have a genuis on the board that lacks any sort of coherent thinking or logic and can be owned pretty easily. Wait a second....your a confidence booster throw down created by the mods aren't you?! lol. I get it....you crazy mods....always trying to promote the welfare and confidence of the boards.

kcwilson
03-06-2007, 12:41 AM
You aren't the only one that thinks this is not a good deal. I really was ok with Dayne, Lundy, and Taylor. I'd like to see more of Taylor.

That being said I'd rather have drafted a young back. This feels like us signing Moulds all over again only to let him go after one season.

You will see more of Taylor, but since basically every team in the NFL passed on him last year, do you think that it is better to have a little insurance if the undrafted rookie doesn't turn into the pot of gold everyone thinks he will be?

Taylor will get some carries and needs to earn his spot. In the meantime, I'd rather have real NFL players on my team competing and pushing the young talent to get better.

I like the Green acquisition, I think it is a good two year deal.

kcwilson
03-06-2007, 12:42 AM

Congratulations, think with a condom on your head next time. We are all dumber from having read this.

Texas_Thrill
03-06-2007, 12:44 AM
You will see more of Taylor, but since basically every team in the NFL passed on him last year, do you think that it is better to have a little insurance if the undrafted rookie doesn't turn into the pot of gold everyone thinks he will be?

Taylor will get some carries and needs to earn his spot. In the meantime, I'd rather have real NFL players on my team competing and pushing the young talent to get better.

I like the Green acquisition, I think it is a good two year deal.

Well while Taylor is earning his spot as I recall Dayne was doing a pretty good job. I had no problem keeping him as our starter while Lundy and Taylor worked out their youngster issues.

kcwilson
03-06-2007, 12:50 AM
Well while Taylor is earning his spot as I recall Dayne was doing a pretty good job. I had no problem keeping him as our starter while Lundy and Taylor worked out their youngster issues.

The "Hey Kool-aid" guy is probably available as well.

Dayne isn't the threat that Ahman Green is.... unless we are talking about the safety of donuts.

Ole Miss Texan
03-06-2007, 12:55 AM
Some people may dislike this signing. But I'm not one, I actually like it a lot. I hope our backfield looks something like Green, Dayne, Taylor, and Lundy next season. Is it the most exciting backfield....no.

I also think our oline will be improved and healthy next season. I'm not going to say anything about spencer's injury because i have no right to say i think its going to be fine...i have no idea. everyone else i should think will be healthy...i hope we still address it in the draft and FA. I would be willing to bet that either a) our offensive line is better than last year..or b) our running backs are more productive than last year. probably a combination of the both.

that's all i'm going to ask from them this year in that regard...it's a long slow process...a marathon not a sprint. A sprint will get you where the Redskins are...no money and picking before us.

they are working on our cap space for future acquisitions the next few years too. this is going to take a while.

just wish everyone would chill out. With your mindset you probably would have signe Leonard Davis wouldn't you? i mean he's OL...and must be able to help us!! too bad he'd be worse than what we have AND more expensive.....these guys know what they are doing whether you would like to admit it or not.

Ckw
03-06-2007, 04:54 AM
Some people may dislike this signing. But I'm not one, I actually like it a lot. I hope our backfield looks something like Green, Dayne, Taylor, and Lundy next season. Is it the most exciting backfield....no.

I also think our oline will be improved and healthy next season. I'm not going to say anything about spencer's injury because i have no right to say i think its going to be fine...i have no idea. everyone else i should think will be healthy...i hope we still address it in the draft and FA. I would be willing to bet that either a) our offensive line is better than last year..or b) our running backs are more productive than last year. probably a combination of the both.

that's all i'm going to ask from them this year in that regard...it's a long slow process...a marathon not a sprint. A sprint will get you where the Redskins are...no money and picking before us.

they are working on our cap space for future acquisitions the next few years too. this is going to take a while.

just wish everyone would chill out. With your mindset you probably would have signe Leonard Davis wouldn't you? i mean he's OL...and must be able to help us!! too bad he'd be worse than what we have AND more expensive.....these guys know what they are doing whether you would like to admit it or not.

I agree. Rep coming your way. I like Green. I mean a lot of running backs have had some of their best years at 30. Let's hope Green can just make an impact and help us out as a receiving threat at the least. I like it.

Cjeremy635
03-06-2007, 08:09 AM
I can't help but notice you weren't trying to convince yourself you were smart at the end of this post. Seems fitting considering how stupid it is.

So I guess by your rationale...one of the mirade of pass rushing DL's would have fixed our O-Line and also ran the ball as well. Or that one of the amazing prospects on the O-Line would have fixed our non-existent pass rush? But I am happy to see that you do actually have enough logic to realize no RB (regardless of age) can also help our O-Line and D-Line. Yeah thats right kid, it takes one player at a time.

I feel like i need to make a thread just so everyone knows we have a genuis on the board that lacks any sort of coherent thinking or logic and can be owned pretty easily. Wait a second....your a confidence booster throw down created by the mods aren't you?! lol. I get it....you crazy mods....always trying to promote the welfare and confidence of the boards.

Man...that was one of the funniest posts I've read in a while. Keep em' coming, I needed that this morning. The perfect amount of sarcasm as well....clever.

O.G.
03-06-2007, 08:15 AM

I agree with you as well. It's funny how people have the misconception of Ahman Green and his age of 30 as well as health problems. Ahman came out of Nebraska his Jr Year, where at Nebraska he was behind that nutcase Larence Phillips. When he got the the NFL, he didn't get anytime until he was traded to Green bay. Take a look at his stats, 62 carries in two years. Add in there the year before last when he was injured, that takes off almost 3 years. Would anyone complain if we had signed Tiki Barber, or Fred Taylor, or Warrick Dun? Yeah because people complain regardless. Guess it's just our nature. Also, about Green being full of injuries, take a look at the other running backs that we had to chose from in Free agency. We had the opportunity to trade for Thomas Jones as well as Travis Henry last year as well as the year before and we didn't because they were just as injured as Ahman Green. Chris Brown hasn't completed an injury free season yet. Micheal Turner definitely was out of reach money wise so what does that leave you? Exactly. So if Ahman would have been 27 instead of 30, does it really matter? You already know my answer.

Hulk75
03-06-2007, 08:24 AM
Good Lord, We are not the best team in the world right now. We have to pay these big FA guys to get them to come here. 4 years 23 million is fine with me. Ahman Green people, he IS no push over and will rush for over 1,000 yards again this season. He is 30, so what, many players have played past 30. We acctually have a back that can take that stuff to the house, Domanick was great at getting yards that were not there and making people miss, but after some open field he had to take the fridge off his back, Ahman does all 3 and loves to block and takes it serious WHICH ME PERSONALLY AM HAPPY TO HEAR.

Stampede
03-06-2007, 08:40 AM
?...This guy has'nt played a single down of football for us yet. Geesh, give him a chance. We have a lot of positions to upgrade and there will be a lot of opportunities to better this football team between now and the first game of the season.

prostock101
03-06-2007, 08:40 AM
Awwlllllllriiiiighttttyyyyyy then. You people have convinced me.

Now, do we resign Dayne? Do we keep Lundy or Taylor? If say, Michael Bush falls to the 5th round, do we take him?

Genius?..............Hmmmmm:stirpot:

jdog
03-06-2007, 08:44 AM
Everyone, including non-genius types, knew that our running game was a problem last year, and our running game is critical to our offense.

What would be your genius plan for solving the problem? We can still draft a running back, or we can draft other needs. Green gives us options.

There are not many decent FA's out there this season. There are fewer that could help us. There are even fewer that we could realistically afford. Green's deal was actually a good value for us considering the market this year.

The only knock on Green is his age, but he has continued to post good numbers. Green Bay wanted to re-sign him. He has a few years left. He's a great back. He was a good value. What's the problem, genius?

Texans Horror
03-06-2007, 09:02 AM
For once we have a true blocking running back and a guy who is not afraid to make holes. With the Texans o-line woes, they will need that kind of help.

I'm not worried about an older player because the alternative is a guy who will say he'll play this year but won't.

I'm all for this pick. On paper, it looks like the best FA signing the Texans have made.

Hulk75
03-06-2007, 09:04 AM
Everyone, including non-genius types, knew that our running game was a problem last year, and our running game is critical to our offense.

What would be your genius plan for solving the problem? We can still draft a running back, or we can draft other needs. Green gives us options.

There are not many decent FA's out there this season. There are fewer that could help us. There are even fewer that we could realistically afford. Green's deal was actually a good value for us considering the market this year.

The only knock on Green is his age, but he has continued to post good numbers. Green Bay wanted to re-sign him. He has a few years left. He's a great back. He was a good value. What's the problem, genius?

Yea it was a problem. There were way too many holes that were there and our backs stuck their head down into the back of our lineman and gained 2 yards instead of 6 or 7. Green will find them thats why I am pumped to have him.

prostock101
03-06-2007, 09:05 AM

No problem here. I'm officially on the Green Bandwagon! I apologize to the mob and note that my evil plan has worked. My genius was simply to find out what the board really thought about this signing and......well, it worked!

I shall now take my beating along with my genius and take a nap......

Stampede
03-06-2007, 09:13 AM
No problem here. I'm officially on the Green Bandwagon! I apologize to the mob and note that my evil plan has worked. My genius was simply to find out what the board really thought about this signing and......well, it worked!

I shall now take my beating along with my genius and take a nap......

Haha, you dog, you. Now I got that genius beer commercial song stuck in my head. :winky:

Roughnecks
03-06-2007, 10:26 AM
This is good for this team he is a team player and worked side by side with Brett so he knows how to win. I like the fact that he said he saw the QB getting killed now that is going to stop he will pick up the blitz that tells me he is here to help out the QB as well get his yards how many times have we seen the back fail to pick up the blitz. The plus is with DW or DD having a set back again we really need him back there and his present in the locker room is great.

Chance_C
03-06-2007, 11:17 AM
Best complete RB we've ever had, even at 30. That's really the whole deal in a nutshell.

TFL
03-06-2007, 11:20 AM
People lets just get this straight coachs are going to pick up people who they are familar with. Yes we have done it a bunch, but I am getting sick of hearing about it. I mean you say it like it is a bad thing the players are familar with the coachs and the other way around. That's a GREAT thing to have. People are saying we are picking up other people's trash well then what is everybody else doing in FA they are picking up players that are not wanted on their teams. We have picked some players from the Green Bay Packers and Denver Broncos that other teams pursed. I am happy that are coachs are bringing people that they know there capabiltes in person, and not just by tape and a interview.

cowboy62
03-06-2007, 11:29 AM
A. green aah yes 30 years old and still playing with batman toy's,
what a joke!!!!

Mr teX
03-06-2007, 11:42 AM

Yeah you know we did well with NFL Europe players, we sent Davey........... no not carr, Mr. Ragone over there & he became MVP. We brought him back over here & he can't even make an NFL roster.

& arena football.......................................... ......:backsout:

HJam72
03-06-2007, 11:50 AM
Mr. Ragone over there & he became MVP. We brought him back over here & he can't even make an NFL roster.

Well, that's because that Arena futbol has better offensive coaches. :hides:

PS-that, and our O-line is worse. :tease: