View Full Version : Houston signs Green

energyo
03-04-2007, 08:28 PM
http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/HOU/10038418

What ya think of this?
Ahman green might be pretty good here.

crunk-juice
03-04-2007, 08:38 PM
jeez you scared the crap outta me, i thought you meant trent green!

energyo
03-04-2007, 08:41 PM
haha, no

So does this mean Texans are done for RB?
I was hoping there'd be a way maybe we can get AP.
I'd be happy with Landy though.

Blake
03-04-2007, 08:55 PM
There is a thread on this topic already in the Bull Pen area.

Green is 30 years old but might be able to be a 2 headed monster here.

Also I doubt AP will be available at 8, but if he is available I think you need to look at trading down.

With Ahman Green, Wali Lundy, Chris Taylor and possibly Domanick Williams, we should be set at RB already.

Ole Miss Texan
03-04-2007, 08:57 PM
There is a thread on this topic already in the Bull Pen area.

Green is 30 years old but might be able to be a 2 headed monster here.

Also I doubt AP will be available at 8, but if he is available I think you need to look at trading down.

With Ahman Green, Wali Lundy, Chris Taylor and possibly Domanick Williams, we should be set at RB already.

I think we should resign Dayne and release domanick (his salary is way to much...esp with green on our team now)

powerfuldragon
03-04-2007, 11:55 PM
ahman is 30 and probably injury prone... i know he's a good runner, but i'm worried.

HomeBred_Texan
03-05-2007, 05:09 AM
ahman is 30 and probably injury prone... i know he's a good runner, but i'm worried.
You are not alone... Personally, I think signing was a waste of 6 million dollars... I have read on here many times that it has been stated by people that a RB's quality of service is over a 5 year period. Now we have someone who already had 10 years under it belt. Not a youth movement in my opinion... Just another band-aid patch for a gapping wound... And we will pay for it in the long run...

mancunian
03-05-2007, 06:04 AM

so am I. If he plays like he did 2 - 3 years ago great.

Doesn't he also have a fumble problem?

TwinSisters
03-05-2007, 06:09 AM
so am I. If he plays like he did 2 - 3 years ago great.

Doesn't he also have a fumble problem?

yep. More than Tatum Bell actually.

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/12404

looks like he loses around 4 balls on a full season

mancunian
03-05-2007, 06:49 AM
yep. More than Tatum Bell actually.

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/12404

looks like he loses around 4 balls on a full season

cant wait for our backfield next year - Green and Cook. We'll have a sweepstake on who fumbles first. Throw in Carr and we may lead the league.....:secret:

Texans Horror
03-05-2007, 07:28 AM
The only thing I don't like is that this feels like a patch rather than a fix - a band-aid as it was stated earlier. Otherwise, I am fine with it. He is a good back who has done plenty of damage to defenses, and that is something the Texans haven't had. In addition, I think the Texans run offense, which uses multiple backs, will keep the wear and tear off the guy.

TwinSisters
03-05-2007, 07:39 AM
cant wait for our backfield next year - Green and Cook. We'll have a sweepstake on who fumbles first. Throw in Carr and we may lead the league.....:secret:

well, I can say it doesn't make me all that happy either, BUT:

I don't know what the draft plan is, nor do I know how capable their planning abilities truly are. Last year was mixed with Casserly and it's hard to know what exactly Smith "really" did in Denver.

We don't have a guy in our backfield that can break 20 yards on a run. Elite teams break around 15-20+ 20+ yard runs, we had 7 last season.

Even with an injury Green can get 7 by himself. ( 15 in a season career high )

so that makes me feel a little better about it all. Ricky Williams fumbled a lot too. But it didn't bother me too much, because he could make up for it. Dom struck me as a fumbler also, but again he could break a 20+ yard run to make up for it.
----

( unrelated note: You would think the NFL could afford to update the damn pictures in the NFL.com database. Half our RB's still have Green Bay and Denver jerseys on. I mean for crying out loud... how many BILLIONS of dollars are generated by the league. If it was the XFL or the USFL, I could understand. )

Ole Miss Texan
03-05-2007, 10:07 AM
I like this move for a few reasons...

1) We obviously need help at RB. Green provides the veteran leadership to help out our team (who's getting younger every year).
2)I don't think he'll be that bad considering we should still have Lundy, Taylor, maybe Gado, and hopefully resign Dayne.
3)has he really been THAT injured??? He started the league in 98 w/ seattle. he didn't start any games his first two years in the league, but.. over the past 7 years...he's started in 14 or more in 6 of them. 2005 he only started 5 games. (he usually gets 260-350 carries a season.
4) he's definitly seem like a fighter to me.
5) the only thing i'm a little concerned about is his contract. but WE have to pay any FA and it's going to be a good bit of change. I'm glad we got him over some of the other FA. Henry is more injury prone.
6)This frees up the draft. The chance of AP being there at 8 is minimal. Trading up for him would be stupid. 8 is too high for Lynch and it's not that easy trading down. That leaves Michael Bush in the 2nd..or other guys in the 3rd-7th. I don't think we should address RB on the first day unless AP falls.

This helps us out a lot for the draft. We can continue to build our team w/ these young guys from the drafts. All first day we can draft by BPA and it will address a definite need for us. all those needs are bigger needs than RB. see DL,OL,FS,CB,...OL lol. so a RB would be a 'waste' of a pick imo. Our OLINE is going to improve the more they play together and as they find the prospects they like. Our New QB and RB looks like they are going to step up to start with the rest of our team close to finished...and with a much improved o-line...otherwise they'd have a VERY difficult time.

Good job Smith...keep up your cap work and thanks for Green I'm happy to have him.