PDA

View Full Version : Donte' Stallworth: Worth a shot?

Hottoddie
03-04-2007, 01:13 PM
I know he's had a lot of injuries, but when he's healthy, he's pretty good. It appears that Philly doesn't want to pay him much, so we might be able to slip in & take him away for a relatively small price. Would he interest any of you?

http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl

Eagles | Team still open to re-signing Stallworth
Sun, 4 Mar 2007 08:59:17 -0800

Marc Narducci and Bob Brookover, of the Philadelphia Inquirer, reports the Philadelphia Eagles are still open to re-signing free agent WR Donte' Stallworth (Eagles). However, the team will not do it at an astronomical price.

TexanBacker93
03-04-2007, 01:15 PM
The team still needs to add a WR and along with Antonio Bryant he's probably the most talented receiver available right now. Depending on the cost it would be worth a look.

Texans Pride
03-04-2007, 01:16 PM
He burned our butts for a few plays and touchdowns . . .Why not!

michaelm
03-04-2007, 01:17 PM
I know he's had a lot of injuries, but when he's healthy, he's pretty good. It appears that Philly doesn't want to pay him much, so we might be able to slip in & take him away for a relatively small price. Would he interest any of you?

When he went to Philly, he was compared to some on these boards to Cory Bradford. I think we saw that he has much more to offer than Bradford. He is a pretty dynamic receiver who would make things easier on the other side for AJ. I think he might be had for a acceptable price, so I would be all for making an offer.
IMO, he would easily be the best threat we have ever put on the field with AJ.

Lucky
03-04-2007, 01:24 PM
Would he interest any of you?

If Stallworth would take the same 2-year, $4.3 million deal (http://nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/10033511) that Lelie got from the Niners, sure. If he's looking for $10 million in guaranteed money, no way. Other than dominating a weak Texan secondary, what did Stallworth do last season?

TheRealJoker
03-04-2007, 01:36 PM
I remember he burned the Saints in the playoffs. I think he made big plays all season...certainly more than the Texans did.

Lucky
03-04-2007, 01:46 PM
I remember he burned the Saints in the playoffs.
OK, so he dominated 2 bad secondarys. He caught 5 TDs for the regular season. Like I said, Ashley Lelie money.

run-david-run
03-04-2007, 01:51 PM
OK, so he dominated 2 bad secondarys. He caught 5 TDs for the regular season. Like I said, Ashley Lelie money.

Id be willing to give him more money then Lelie, but not that much more. I hope we at least make an attempt.

michaelm
03-04-2007, 02:00 PM
On only 38 catches he had 725 yards for a 19.1 average and 5 tds. Not spectacular, granted, but still worth a look. I think he's better than Lelie, and worth a tiny bit more.
Stallworth also put up 139 on Washington and 111 on Carolina.
He's a pretty big step up from Moulds as far as being a threat that draws attention away from AJ and also away from the LOS.

Ole Miss Texan
03-04-2007, 02:04 PM
I hope we take a long hard look at him. his injuries worry me but other than that he's a darn good receiver, and better than any wr2 we've ever had.

if we can pick him up and travis henry...that clears the draft up a little meaning we don't necessarily have to address RB or WR.

Hottoddie
03-04-2007, 02:36 PM
If Stallworth would take the same 2-year, $4.3 million deal (http://nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/10033511) that Lelie got from the Niners, sure. If he's looking for $10 million in guaranteed money, no way. Other than dominating a weak Texan secondary, what did Stallworth do last season?

I agree that you wouldn't want to pay him too much money. But, since he's still young, I could see going as high as 3-4 years @ $6-12 million with little to no guaranteed money & a signing bonus of $1.5-2 million. To get him to sign off on it, you'd probably have to make the $12 million attainable, but contingent upon his staying healthy. If he stays healthy, $3 million a year is pretty cheap for a #2 WR that could be a #1 on many teams.

As for what he's done, imo, it's not so much what he's done, as what he brings to the team. He's a legitimate threat every time he steps on the field. He's a playmaker. Sending him deep would force the safeties to play him & not double up on AJ. They couldn't afford to let him get behind them.

Lucky
03-04-2007, 02:41 PM
As for what he's done, imo, it's not so much what he's done, as what he brings to the team. He's a legitimate threat every time he steps on the field.
I'll agree with that. But, this draft is deep in WRs who can do the same. And much cheaper. I'm also just a little leary of players whose performance ramps up in a contract year.

Hottoddie
03-04-2007, 03:13 PM
I'm also just a little leary of players whose performance ramps up in a contract year.

Hehe. Show me one that doesn't.

run-david-run
03-04-2007, 05:16 PM
Hehe. Show me one that doesn't.

Jamal Lewis?

I know, I know, rhetorical statement.

michaelm
03-04-2007, 05:27 PM
I know one thing. If we are somehow able to land Stallworth and A. Green
or Stallworth and T. Henry, we are a much better offensive team than last year...
I think Stallworth might be fooling himself into believing that he is a #1WR, and that may cost us a shot at him...

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
03-04-2007, 06:01 PM
Stallworth Not Attracting Attention?

As scout.com pointed out earlier this week, league sources indicated that free agent WR Donte’ Stallworth might not get signed in the early part of free agency because there’s a belief that he wants too much money in signing bonus dollars ($10-$12 million). Sources believe the bonus money will come in much lower ($6-$8 million on a multi-year deal) based on his injury history but as the story goes, it only takes one team to over pay.

As noted previously, Stallworth, when healthy last season, was very productive but hamstring problems limited him to 12 games.

But because there teams with serious wide receiver issues (San Francisco 49ers, Minnesota Vikings, and Tennessee Titans), the market for the six-year veteran could start to heat up.

http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=118&p=2&c=623755

keyfro
03-04-2007, 07:14 PM
i think stallworth would be a great complementary reciever to andre...he just needs to sign for a very heavy incentive deal...one where it's all based on performance

GoPats
03-05-2007, 09:53 AM
Someone posted on another board that Stallworth is in the NFL's substance abuse program, meaning that one violation will result in a 4-game suspension. Might be why teams are a bit gun-shy right now...

AtheGreat
03-05-2007, 10:16 AM
Bryant > Stallworth

Ole Miss Texan
03-05-2007, 10:50 AM
Someone posted on another board that Stallworth is in the NFL's substance abuse program, meaning that one violation will result in a 4-game suspension. Might be why teams are a bit gun-shy right now...

ouch...doesn't look good for him being in houston. If we did really want to sign him, would it be possible to structure is contract around that and playing time? cuz he also has injury concers. i guess kinda like incentives, right?

Kaiser Toro
03-05-2007, 10:57 AM

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/sports/16835778.htm

Donté Stallworth, the Eagles' free-agent receiver, brought some baggage with him when he hit the NFL's open market Friday.

According to league sources, Stallworth is a participant in the NFL's substance-abuse program, which could subject him to a league suspension if he were to violate the terms of the program again.

The circumstances and time frame that led to Stallworth's admittance to the program have not been disclosed, and the receiver's agent, Drew Rosenhaus, did not return phone calls last night.

NFL players can enter the substance-abuse program in a variety of ways, including voluntarily. Players also can be entered in the program for failing drug tests or for drug- and alcohol-related law violations away from the field, according to the collective-bargaining agreement.

An Eagles spokesman said last night that the team had no comment, citing the confidentiality rules that are in place regarding the league's substance-abuse program. According to the NFL Players Association's Web site, a breach of confidentiality can be subject to fines ranging from $10,000 to $500,000.

GoPats
03-05-2007, 11:22 AM
Thanks KT. (You covered for my laziness!)

It's just kind of risky to throw money at a guy who'll miss 1/4 of the season if he slips up just once. Wherever he goes, my bet is that you'll see a one-year deal only.

jayjordan
03-06-2007, 07:16 AM
He always made big plays he is one of the fastest in the league. Ill pick him up at least for a year contract

Buckle
03-06-2007, 12:25 PM
Titans | Stallworth plans to meet team
Tue, 6 Mar 2007 07:34:45 -0800

Paul Kuharsky, of the Tennessean, reports free agent WR Donte' Stallworth (Eagles) has plans to meet the Tennessee Titans, according to the NFL Network.

El Tejano
03-06-2007, 12:33 PM
Vince and Stallworth twice a year?

HuttoKarl
03-06-2007, 12:44 PM
Vince and Stallworth twice a year?

If Donte's legs aren't busted for the two meetings. :mario: :mario: :mario:

jlam
03-06-2007, 03:47 PM
Looks like he's going to be meeting with the Pats as well, per Adam Schefter of the NFL Network (http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/10040904).

Patriots were scheduled to host a visit with Philadelphia free-agent wide receiver Donte' Stallworth.

From New England, Stallworth is scheduled to visit Tennessee, which lost free-agent wide receiver Drew Bennett to the St. Louis Rams, which gave the free-agent a six-year, $30 million deal that included $9.5 million in guaranteed money.

Stallworth still might also return to Philadelphia. But his decision is expected shortly.

Texas_Thrill
03-06-2007, 05:21 PM
Pacman has a new customer

that was good. i'm sure he needs some more customers to get rid of that 1600 lbs that was confiscated when they impounded his RED CADILLAC truck.

What fool moves 1600 lbs of pot in a SHINY RED CADILLAC TRUCK? lol

Navy_Chris
03-06-2007, 05:28 PM

No, not worth a shot. I'm tired of all these "I know he's always injured, but when he's healthy...." guys the Texans always take chances on. Let's actually go out and get a big name, go to guy who we don't always have to worry about.