PDA

View Full Version : Andre Johnson Restructured and Extended

mikey21
03-03-2007, 12:59 PM
The Texans have restructured the contract of Pro Bowl wide receiver Andre Johnson and extended him. The move frees up cap space and gets their best player committed for a long time.

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/10033511

The Texans have restructured the contract of receiver Andre Johnson to free up $6 million under the salary cap to pursue free agents. Johnson got an eight-year, $60-million deal that includes $15 million in guaranteed money.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4599634.html

dirty steve
03-03-2007, 01:00 PM
The Texans have restructured the contract of Pro Bowl wide receiver Andre Johnson and extended him. The move frees up cap space and gets their best player committed for a long time.

great freaking news. i had worried that AJ might be questioning the direction of the franchise.

Double Barrel
03-03-2007, 01:01 PM
Cool! Thanks for the story.

Now we just need 10 other players around him. :shades:

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
03-03-2007, 01:01 PM
Great news.

mikey21
03-03-2007, 01:02 PM
i am trying to find out how much space was saved and how long he will be here

Clash_Fan3605
03-03-2007, 01:04 PM
:marionaner: :yahoo: :wow: :whoohoo:

Errant Hothy
03-03-2007, 01:05 PM
Woot!

Curious as to how much space we freed up...and maybe more importantly why did we need to free up some space?

TheRealJoker
03-03-2007, 01:05 PM
This is excellent news. Nice to see that AJ is a team player :marionaner:

TexanExile
03-03-2007, 01:07 PM
In related news, while being handed the pen to sign his new contract by an agent standing 6 inches away, AJ dropped it. However, after the pen bounced off the table and suddenly flew away from him at an impossible angle, he easily snatched it from the sky and sealed the deal.

When asked to comment, Texans QB David Carr said: "Wait, he's in the room?! Holy smokes, I can't even see him."

(Just kidding on both counts there.)

This is great news. On a team without many stars, you wonder if sometimes those few stars don't think about changing addresses while they're still in the prime of their careers. Having him guaranteed to be around a while longer makes me feel a lot better about the team's future.

Clash_Fan3605
03-03-2007, 01:07 PM
Now that leaves D-Rob, Mario, & Ryans to lock up next when we get the chance! (not at the same time)

run-david-run
03-03-2007, 01:13 PM
Now that leaves D-Rob, Mario, & Ryans to lock up next when we get the chance! (not at the same time)

We better gets started on Mario...we only have 5 more years to "lock him up"...

TexanFan881
03-03-2007, 01:14 PM
I'm pumped to hear this :redtowel:

Honoring Earl 34
03-03-2007, 01:15 PM
In related news, while being handed the pen to sign his new contract by an agent standing 6 inches away, AJ dropped it. However, after the pen bounced off the table and suddenly flew away from him at an impossible angle, he easily snatched it from the sky and sealed the deal.

When asked to comment, Texans QB David Carr said: "Wait, he's in the room?! Holy smokes, I can't even see him."

(Just kidding on both counts there.)

This is great news. On a team without many stars, you wonder if sometimes those few stars don't think about changing addresses while they're still in the prime of their careers. Having him guaranteed to be around a while longer makes me feel a lot better about the team's future.

I bet there was a big sale job on the direction that they were going .

SAMURAITEXAN
03-03-2007, 01:15 PM
Yes!! AJ

alphajoker
03-03-2007, 01:16 PM
That is very good news to hear! :ok: Now why can't Carr restructure his? :stirpot:

Clash_Fan3605
03-03-2007, 01:18 PM
We better gets started on Mario...we only have 5 more years to "lock him up"...

what I meant was we should not let these listed players get away when their contracts run out- not right now. Just when it gets closer to that time do we extend their contract.

phantom17
03-03-2007, 01:23 PM
LOL! The title of this thread sounds like a DVD title.:winky: Now we just need to remix, remaster & add extra footage on DC!:marionaner:

TexanExile
03-03-2007, 01:25 PM
Now why can't Carr restructure his? :stirpot:

Ha...we all know why, right?

The Chronicle's story on the AJ restructuring indicates that AJ's cap number was about $7 million so they must have cleared some decent space by doing this.

Link (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/4599634.html)

Errant Hothy
03-03-2007, 01:32 PM
Ha...we all know why, right?

The Chronicle's story on the AJ restructuring indicates that AJ's cap number was about $7 million so they must have cleared some decent space by doing this.

Link (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/4599634.html)

I'm thinkning maybe around 5 mil, but the question is still for whom did we create the space.

Clash_Fan3605
03-03-2007, 01:33 PM
I'm thinkning maybe around 5 mil, but the question is still for whom did we create the space.

Green & Lelie perhaps? Hamlin? (crosses fingers that we get 2 out of 3)

TexanFan881
03-03-2007, 01:35 PM
This is what I'm hoping happened:

AJ: Who are you looking at bringing in to play besides me?
Kubes: Ashlie Lelie.
AJ: Can you do any better than that?
Kubes: We don't have much cap room to get much better than him.
AJ: I'll restructure my contract so you can go get Kevin Curtis.
Kubes: Ok, its a deal.

I can dream, can't I :)

run-david-run
03-03-2007, 01:41 PM
what I meant was we should not let these listed players get away when their contracts run out- not right now. Just when it gets closer to that time do we extend their contract.

i know, just giving you a hard time...:tease:

SamuraiSword
03-03-2007, 01:51 PM

Next on the list is David Carr to restructure his contract if he is a team player of course. :stirpot:

SamuraiSword
03-03-2007, 02:15 PM
This is what I'm hoping happened:

I can dream, can't I :)

What is the point of having good wide recievers if Carr is comming back????

dirty steve
03-03-2007, 02:16 PM
What is the point of having good wide recievers if Carr is comming back????

it took you two posts to say essentially the same thing?

ledzeppelin229
03-03-2007, 02:17 PM
Next on the list is David Carr to restructure his contract if he is a team player of course. :stirpot:

As long as his contract isn't extended.

SamuraiSword
03-03-2007, 02:21 PM
it took you two posts to say essentially the same thing?

well I was bored ...:tease:

Vinny
03-03-2007, 02:30 PM
As long as his contract isn't extended.
That's why we don't see him restructure. When you restructure you add years.

03-03-2007, 02:31 PM
i wonder how long we locked dre up for...

run-david-run
03-03-2007, 02:33 PM
i wonder how long we locked dre up for...

probably 5 or 6 years, which is essentialy his prime. Looks like AJ is going to be a Texan for life (or at least his great years) SWEET!!

TexansLucky13
03-03-2007, 02:38 PM
http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2006/fantasy/09/26/movers.shakers/t1_andrejohnson_us.jpg

Texan 4 Ever!

:texflag:

PapaL
03-03-2007, 02:43 PM
This cements it. New AJ jersey this year.

Clash_Fan3605
03-03-2007, 02:46 PM
Here is the understatement of the year right here: The Texans FO owes it to AJ to put the best possible team out there so he can compete at his fullest potential. He's simply way to good for mostly the rest of the team to suck badly.

texan_b
03-03-2007, 02:53 PM
Johnson got an eight-year, $60-million deal that includes $15 million in guaranteed money.

per the chronicle

sorry did not see he updated his first post of the thread

TexanFan881
03-03-2007, 02:58 PM
Johnson got an eight-year, $60-million deal that includes $15 million in guaranteed money.

per the chronicle

sorry did not see he updated his first post of the thread

I didn't see it on the first post, thanks for posting that. Freed up $6 mil - that's a whole player or two more we can get :redtowel:

Vinny
03-03-2007, 02:59 PM
I didn't see it on the first post, thanks for posting that. Freed up $6 mil - that's a whole player or two more we can get :redtowel:or help offset Carr's dead money cap hit when we move him.

DontTreadOnMe
03-03-2007, 03:03 PM
AJ is the man, i too was worried that he would not sign an extension. but, its done!!!! now, we need to make sure dunta does not leave town on us as well... dunta, AJ, and demeco serve as the heart and soul on this team (as far as i can tell), and we will succeed with them.. and by the way.. how impressed are you guys with rick smith?? i think rick is doing an amazing job thus far, and he has made me expect nothing less than greatness. do not underestimate the value of bringing in Gore from arizona... im lovin' it.. after years of struggle and disappointment i think we are on to something. but, who knows.. the nfl is a tricky business, but we seem to be on the right track.

TexanFan881
03-03-2007, 03:04 PM
or help offset Carr's dead money cap hit when we move him.

Do we still pay Carr's contract if we trade him? Just wondering...

Vinny
03-03-2007, 03:05 PM
Do we still pay Carr's contract if we trade him? Just wondering...
all his bonus money that is spread out over his contract hits the cap when we deal him.

http://forums.houstontexans.com/showthread.php?t=11798

UzaHO
03-03-2007, 03:44 PM
Wow this is great news. AJ is the hands down BEST playa on this team. Heres to more Pro Bowl appearances as a Texans. :yes: Now if can figure out who the QB is gonna be next year...

New_Texans
03-03-2007, 03:46 PM
Andre i love you I love you I love you I love you I LUUUUUUVVV YOOOOOU

Kaiser Toro
03-03-2007, 03:46 PM
Wow this is great news. AJ is the hands down BEST playa on this team. Heres to more Pro Bowl appearances as a Texans. :yes: Now if can figure out who the QB is gonna be next year...

I agree this is great news, but I would not call him a beach. ;)

Dre_80
03-03-2007, 03:50 PM
wow. a selfish guy like terrell owens would be long gone but thats what makes AJ so special :doot:

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
03-03-2007, 03:52 PM
all his bonus money that is spread out over his contract hits the cap when we deal him.

http://forums.houstontexans.com/showthread.php?t=11798

With both Garcia and Plummer off the market, I get this feeling in the back of my mind we'll be seeing Brady Quinn in a Texans uniform next season.

ledzeppelin229
03-03-2007, 03:55 PM
With both Garcia and Plummer off the market, I get this feeling in the back of my mind we'll be seeing Brady Quinn in a Texans uniform next season.

Combine that with the fact that a sizable portion of the board is in the 'ABBQ" (Anyone but Brady Quinn)" camp and its almost a lock.

Kaiser Toro
03-03-2007, 03:58 PM

Kubiak cannot afford to have his ego gone wild with two over hyped QBs gone bad on his hands.

Expectations are way to high for Carr ever to suceed in Houston and Kubiak cannot have that pressure in his second year during this reclamation project that is going directionally correct. Everyone poo poos on Terrell Owens, well we got a potential lighting rod, in Carr, ourselves that could derail any positive trends. The only major Qb move we make this year is releasing Carr, while the rest of the team blossoms.

NATHANHALE
03-03-2007, 04:15 PM
...think AJ was told something positive about the QB situation?

Double Barrel
03-03-2007, 04:18 PM
It's interesting this deal comes after releasing Moulds. They are friends, but obviously that has little impact on AJ and his relationship with the Texans.

This is pure speculation, but perhaps Moulds asked to be let go since Kubiak will be building his offense with younger pieces. He doesn't want to be a no. 3 receiver right now, so they respectfully obliged.

But it is curious about the comments made towards Carr recently, and now AJ is restructuring. He's a quiet dude, and has laid low, but his few words are not ringing endorsements of his QB.

It'll be interesting to see our direction, and now that the two most mentioned FA QBs are going other ways, I wouldn't be surprised to see Carr here in 2007 and the Texans drafting a late round QB that we've never heard of.

Build a team that minimizes the QBs roll, with a running game and solid defense (like the Indy game), and it could still work.

ToroRojo
03-03-2007, 04:33 PM
This is a tremendous start to free agency. To all those disappointed advocates of unadulterated spending, I'd advise you take notice of the Texans' current predicament and understand that we must correct the current cap situation and be prudent. The pieces are in place to be successful. With Rick Smith in place, coming from Denver, a franchise that seems to be in perpetual good condition, and our new cap guru, the darkness is beginning to subside. Kubiak has garnered the respect and attention of the team. All that remains is for Smith to give Kubiak the tools. Unfortunately, this will be a process that will be judged in moderate steps, not immediate answers.

The Texans' future depends upon strong draft and the retention of those players. This I believe is the beginning of a positive trend. Mediocre talent is getting superstar money. Draft well and the economics improve immensely.

It will be hard stomach another losing season, but I see 8-8 as a possibility. Lelie would be a good complement, and Ahmad Green could be a sweet gamble. I would really like the move toward defense to continue and I hope we take Laron Landry or trade down. Regardless, it is good news for the Texans and its fanbase.

potisyourfriend
03-03-2007, 04:54 PM
...think AJ was told something positive about the QB situation?

Nope, probably getting a nice paycheck.. He can't be to excited no matter what they told him they were going to do..

IshouldbeGM
03-03-2007, 05:23 PM
so how much money do we have under the cap to spend now??

Hulk75
03-03-2007, 05:27 PM
That is very good news to hear! :ok: Now why can't Carr restructure his? :stirpot:

Maybe cause they did not ask him.

nunusguy
03-03-2007, 05:32 PM
I'm actually surprised AJ was willing to make this move. Given his background and history of winning in college (AJ played with the real U), I thought he'd want to play out his existing contract and then test the FA market for a more succesful franchise. Either he's an optimist about the Texans future
under Kubiak & Smith, or he just enjoys being a "big fish in a little pond".

Texans Horror
03-03-2007, 05:38 PM
Could the Texans be building towards another high-end wide receiver? It worked well last year with Moulds. Would it be a FA receiver, or are the Texans looking to draft a WR in the first or second rounds? Drafting a wide receiver high is something I haven't considered...

run-david-run
03-03-2007, 05:40 PM
Could the Texans be building towards another high-end wide receiver? It worked well last year with Moulds. Would it be a FA receiver, or are the Texans looking to draft a WR in the first or second rounds? Drafting a wide receiver high is something I haven't considered...

With such a deep class at WR, one of the better ones could be available in the 2nd round. Sidney Rice anyone?

MrMeToo
03-03-2007, 05:52 PM
Fantastic news.Glad to hear my favorite player will be here for a long time...

Second Honeymoon
03-03-2007, 06:04 PM
Great news and he didn't make us grossly overpay for his performance because were 'The Texans'. Kudos to him and his agent.

Maybe this will allow us to bring in some top talent. I think Joey Porter could really help our team regardless of him being more familiar with the 3-4 defense. Porter would bring us some fire and an edge that we are sorely lacking. If Deon Grant is still around, I think he would be a better addition than Hamlin or Kaesviharn (sic). Our DB depth will still be horrible but we should have improvements at DL and LB and this could offset the DB deficencies.

keys to texans success

1. trade/dump carr
2. add quality FA at LB and S
3. draft BPA at #8 (that includes Quinn AND Russell)

if we do those 3 things we will improve 2-3 wins easy. sage gives us a better chance to win games than carr does and if we can get someone better (ala Plummer, Garcia, maybe even Simms) well then do it. Maybe Quinn or Russell drop in your lap at #8 and we have a chance to right last season's wrongs....you never know...karma is funny that way

keyfro
03-03-2007, 06:05 PM
you know no matter who is the qb of this team it's good to know that we do have a stellar guy/player in andre johnson...this guys is a pure stud...i'm glad we have solved his contract issue...this guy is the very model for what every texan should be like...quiet and calm off the field...and flat out angry on it...no matter who the qb of this team is we know he's gonna have atleast one guy to throw to

Reddevil63
03-03-2007, 06:07 PM
With such a deep class at WR, one of the better ones could be available in the 2nd round. Sidney Rice anyone?Sidney Rice, Dwayne Jarrett and Dwayne Bowe should be sitting there in the 2nd round, pretty good pickings.

Ibar_Harry
03-03-2007, 06:29 PM
What's the possibility we are looking at TO or the disgruntled Oakland former Viking WR. That would make for an interesting match up problem. Is it possible after reviewing all of the film they really did decide Carr wasn't the problem? You know Kubiak ate his words more than once after chewing out Carr.

I'm just saying it certainly seems strange with what is happening so far. It almost looks like we could loose everyone except for Carr and AJ. That's a real head scratcher as far as I'm concerned.

ledzeppelin229
03-03-2007, 06:33 PM
What's the possibility we are looking at TO or the disgruntled Oakland former Viking WR. That would make for an interesting match up problem. Is it possible after reviewing all of the film they really did decide Carr wasn't the problem? You know Kubiak ate his words more than once after chewing out Carr.

I'm just saying it certainly seems strange with what is happening so far. It almost looks like we could loose everyone except for Carr and AJ. That's a real head scratcher as far as I'm concerned.

Neither Terrell Owens or Randy Moss will be on this team. They don't want to be here and I don't expect the team wants them here either. As for Carr comments, Kubiak probably realized his disdain was hampering the ability to trade him later on. Not to mention dogging your QB makes for a bad working environment in case he stays.

Hopefully the Texans simply saw the contracts getting thrown around and decided that they didn't want another overpriced FA like Wade, R. Smith, Greenwood, etc...

run-david-run
03-03-2007, 06:35 PM
Sidney Rice, Dwayne Jarrett and Dwayne Bowe should be sitting there in the 2nd round, pretty good pickings.

Jarett would not make sense to me, since would be a younger, unproven version of Moulds, in that he dosnt strech the field and is at best a possesion guy. I dont think Bowe will last to the second round, too many physical attributes to pass up in my opinion for teams like the Titans, Bills, Panthers, Pats, all looking for a good receiver.

Ibar_Harry
03-03-2007, 06:44 PM
Neither Terrell Owens or Randy Moss will be on this team. They don't want to be here and I don't expect the team wants them here either. As for Carr comments, Kubiak probably realized his disdain was hampering the ability to trade him later on. Not to mention dogging your QB makes for a bad working environment in case he stays.

Hopefully the Texans simply saw the contracts getting thrown around and decided that they didn't want another overpriced FA like Wade, R. Smith, Greenwood, etc...

I still think Moss is a better option than you think. He's actually been a pretty good citizen in Oakland, but the team coaching has been less than steller. They are missing a lot of pieces and he has been frustrated. He simply wants to win. Oh well, we will just have to wait and see what transpires.

JAXwithanX
03-03-2007, 07:01 PM
I still think Moss is a better option than you think. He's actually been a pretty good citizen in Oakland, but the team coaching has been less than steller. They are missing a lot of pieces and he has been frustrated. He simply wants to win. Oh well, we will just have to wait and see what transpires.

Which would give him absolutely no reason to want to come here. No matter how many great offseason moves we make he doesn't want the promise of a team on the rise. He wants to be on a team that wins....not that has the chance to in a couple of years.

JAXwithanX
03-03-2007, 07:02 PM
Not to mention he isn't going to play second fiddle to any WR in the league, regardless of winning. And its a very real chance he would have to with AJ.

And I don't know if this has been posted but Andre was counting at over 7 million against this year's cap. No more.

MightyTExan
03-03-2007, 07:26 PM
AJ is the man, i too was worried that he would not sign an extension. but, its done!!!! now, we need to make sure dunta does not leave town on us as well... dunta, AJ, and demeco serve as the heart and soul on this team (as far as i can tell), and we will succeed with them.. and by the way.. how impressed are you guys with rick smith?? i think rick is doing an amazing job thus far, and he has made me expect nothing less than greatness. do not underestimate the value of bringing in Gore from arizona... im lovin' it.. after years of struggle and disappointment i think we are on to something. but, who knows.. the nfl is a tricky business, but we seem to be on the right track.

I think Smith is on to something too. Breath of fresh air from the riverboat gambler. Broncos vs. Texans in AFC championship game 2010.:marionaner:

mexican_texan
03-03-2007, 07:31 PM
It continues to amaze me that some Carr lovers use AJ as a scapegoat.

HuttoKarl
03-03-2007, 07:38 PM
I know Houston talked to some WR Aundray Allison (something like that) at the combine. Supposedly he was on a lot of interview lists.

JCTexan
03-03-2007, 07:59 PM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4599634.html

"I've enjoyed my first four years in Houston, and I'm excited about finishing my career with the Texans," Johnson said today. "I'd like to thank (owner) Mr. (Bob) McNair for showing so much confidence in me. I'd like to thank our great fans for supporting me. I'm looking forward to us achieving our goals of bringing a winner to the city."

Finishing his career in Houston... sounds good to me. :yes:

Texian
03-03-2007, 08:15 PM
AJ I know we told you we were going to bring Plummer in but Tampa has thrown a wrench in the plans. To make it happen now we have to clear some salary cap space.

How Much you ask?

Well to trade for Plummer we would have to pay him $5.3 million in 2007 according to his contract. It just so happens we can restructure your contract that will give us about that amount.

Yes, I think we can write your contract that will allow you to opt out a year or two early.

run-david-run
03-03-2007, 10:14 PM
It continues to amaze me that some Carr lovers use AJ as a scapegoat.Dont we have enough threads on this? Just be happy our best player is here to stay for the rest of his illustrious career and leave it at that.

SamuraiSword
03-03-2007, 10:55 PM
or help offset Carr's dead money cap hit when we move him.

Vinny I like your style of thinking. :D

Texas_Thrill
03-04-2007, 12:30 AM
This is excellent news. Nice to see that AJ is a team player :marionaner:

and if he decided not to re-sign with the Texans he wouldn't be a Team Player?

Please I have no problem with players trying to get as much money as they can out of the vampire owners. Get your dough AJ!

BSofA04
03-04-2007, 03:31 AM
(Big breathe of air)......Thank you Andre! You are the face of the franchise. HERE'S TO THE FIRST TEXAN THAT'S IN THE FUTURE RING OF HONOR! WE LOVE YOU ANDRE!!!
:ohsnap:

Malloy
03-04-2007, 10:27 AM
LOL! The title of this thread sounds like a DVD title.:winky: Now we just need to remix, remaster & add extra footage on DC!:marionaner:

I thought it sounded naughty :)

swisher
03-04-2007, 01:06 PM
Good to know that everyone's Andre Johnson jersey won't be obsolete after next year.

edo783
03-04-2007, 08:14 PM
It's all set, we are now trading up to get CJ.

energyo
03-04-2007, 09:12 PM
Thats awesome news. Get to see Andre for a long time, as long as nothing goes wrong.