PDA

View Full Version : Plummer traded again!!!

Paragon Blue
03-03-2007, 12:23 PM
To the Bucs for 2008 draft pick!! as per Espn News!!

autch14
03-03-2007, 12:26 PM
what the heck is going on??? lol i'm guessing either plummer nor garcia knew about each other going there because i can't see them both accepting to fight for the starting job.

TheRealJoker
Is Garcia going to the Bucs as well?

tulexan
Shanahan is calling Jake's bluff

Paragon Blue
yeah it said Garcia was still signed

TexanFan881
03-03-2007, 12:27 PM
BRONCOS ANNOUNCE TRADE OF PLUMMER TO TAMPA

In a move that can only be described as bizarre, the press release announcing the acquisition of defensive tackle Dan Wilkinson by the Broncos also states that quarterback Jake Plummer has been traded to Tampa for a conditional pick in the 2008 draft.

The release, which was forwarded to us by Adam Caplan of Scout.com, says: "The Denver Broncos on Saturday traded quarterback Jake Plummer to Tampa Bay in exchange for a conditional selection in the 2008 NFL Draft, Head Coach Mike Shanahan announced. Denver also acquired defensive tackle Dan Wilkinson from Miami in exchange for the Broncos' own sixth round pick (24th in round) in the 2007 NFL Draft."

Apparently, the Bucs have opted to squat on Plummer's rights. If he truly retires, the Broncos would likely get nothing. If Plummer decides not to quit, then the Broncos get a pick in 2008 based on, potentially, Plummer's playing time or performance.

So, as a practical matter, the Bucs now have Plummer, Jeff Garcia, and Chris Simms under contract.

And if Plummer follows through on his apparent plan to retire, the Bucs will have the ability to recoup the remainder of any unallocated signing bonus money from Plummer, even though Tampa didn't pay out the bonus.

Let's just hope they don't release him :)

HuttoKarl
03-03-2007, 12:28 PM
Let's just hope they don't release him :)

That's great stuff.

TexanFan881
03-03-2007, 12:34 PM
TRADE PUTS PLUMMER IN A CORNER

The trade of quarterback Jake Plummer to the Bucs is aimed at preventing Plummer from retiring for a few months and then unretiring to play for the Texans, explains Adam Schefter of NFL Network.

Per Schefter, the trade states that Plummer either unretires and plays for the Bucs, or Plummer retires and the Broncos retain the ability to pursue the unallocated portion of his signing bonus.

But if Plummer unretires, Tampa will have to have $5.3 million in cap room to carry his base salary. So, in essence, Plummer can opt to force Tampa's hand by saying, "Sure, I'll show up." It will force Tampa to pay him $5.3 million or cut him.

Or trade him, perhaps to the Texans.

Regardless of how it all works out, it's an odd development for a day on which the headline in Tampa should be the acquisition of quarterback Jeff Garcia.

Seems like we're back at square one, except now the Bucs have him instead of the Broncos.

TheCD
03-03-2007, 12:34 PM
^ Beat me to it.
It seems as though Tampa might have to cut him if he unretires, as they would be paying over $15 million (about $5 million each) for the three QB's on their roster.

Perhaps Shanahan wanted Jake to go to Kubiak WHILE getting compensation? Who knows...

TexanBacker93
03-03-2007, 12:42 PM
It's a conditional pick. If TB cuts him I don't think Denver would get anything out it. I can't figure out why TB would still go through on the trade after signing Garcia. It's going to be interesting to watch.

Over on the Bucs board someone made the comment that the team was trying to get as many QBs as possible to keep the Raiders from drafting Johnson with the 1st pick. Now that would be a classic move.

TexanExile
03-03-2007, 12:43 PM
So the abclocal story Vinny linked indicates Garcia's deal is in the range of $5 million per year. Plummer's cap hit is allegedly $5.3 million. Simms is allegedly getting about $5 million in 2007 too.

odd.

Lucky
03-03-2007, 12:58 PM
This is how Shanahan repays Kubiak for making little Shanny a QB coach?

kastofsna
03-03-2007, 12:58 PM
i bet the texans have already made a phone call to One Buc Place.

simms is also on the trading block.

thunderkyss
03-03-2007, 01:25 PM
i bet the texans have already made a phone call to One Buc Place.

simms is also on the trading block.

I think Simms is a better prospect than Carr is right now. & if the Texans are going to have to give up a draft pick, I hope we go this way.

But, it was my understanding that we didn't want to part with a draft pick in the first place. Hopefully, we'll call all bluffs, and see if Jake is actually released.

I read an article yesterday, that Jake was prepared to repay Denver the bonus money & what not, if he could be released, then come here.

I don't care if he comes here or not. So I hope that we wait it out, and plan to go into '07 with Sage, BVP, & whoever at QB.

I still don't think we should be spending any substantial amount of money on a QB right now, mainly because I don't see one I'd feel comfy paying $5million/year for .

We should use that $5million on a combination of FA CBs, RBs, LBs, & Safeties

Ole Miss Texan
03-03-2007, 01:48 PM
The bucs are really confusing me with getting both quarterbacks. Are they just taking all they can so no one else can get one? wonder if bledsoe is next..lol

Garcia-Plummer-Simms-Gratkowski.....hmmm very interesting to me.

Dime
03-03-2007, 01:55 PM
I am hearing that the Broncos went ahead and traded Plummer to the Bucs to prevent Plummer from playing for the Texans. They are forcing his hand because that would MAKE him play for the Bucs if he unretires. I wonder why the Broncos are being that way to us? I can get link if needed.

MATRIX
03-03-2007, 01:57 PM
I am hearing that the Broncos went ahead and traded Plummer to the Bucs to prevent Plummer from playing for the Texans. They are forcing his hand because that would MAKE him play for the Bucs if he unretires. I wonder why the Broncos are being that way to us? I can get link if needed.

Yep, NFL.com reports the following:

Bucs sign QB Garcia, trade for Plummer

NFL.com wire reports

For more info on Garcia's signing
TAMPA, Fla. (March 3, 2007) -- The Tampa Bay Buccaneers signed free-agent quarterback Jeff Garcia on Saturday and obtained the rights to Jake Plummer from Denver, adding two quarterbacks to compete with Chris Simms next season.

Plummer, who reportedly was thinking of retiring if he was traded, was sent to the Buccaneers for a conditional 2008 draft choice, the Broncos said.

The 37-year-old Garcia, who last year led Philadelphia to the playoffs filling in for the injured Donovan McNabb, agreed to terms a day after talking with the Oakland Raiders. The signing was reported on the Bucs' web site.

Simms, who missed the final 13 games of last season with a ruptured spleen, is the incumbent.

Looks like the 2 QBs mentioned for coming here, at this point are out of the picture.

Texans Pride
03-03-2007, 01:57 PM
Yes, there are a few threads around the board that talk about it....One in the NFL forum, and another in one of the threads here.

TexanExile
03-03-2007, 02:01 PM
There's a flipside to it, too. If Plummer unretires, he suddenly appears on Tampa's cap at about $5 million-plus. They may not be able to handle that and may be forced to deal him ASAP. That's from this article (http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?id=2786694&sport=headlines&ft=ss) posted by Vinny earlier. (It's a Len Pasquarelli article also available at espn.com.)

Weird deal all around. I don't know anything about Tampa's cap, so it may not be a problem for them. (Hey, not everybody has to keep paying Gary Walker.)

Double Barrel
03-03-2007, 02:06 PM
This is how Shanahan repays Kubiak for making little Shanny a QB coach?

yeah, so much for the mythical 'Texans-Broncos pipeline', 'eh?

You know, you can never have too many mediocre QB's.

hey, that's our motto! But I guess we can share it. :tease:

SamuraiSword
03-03-2007, 02:10 PM
So the abclocal story Vinny linked indicates Garcia's deal is in the range of $5 million per year. Plummer's cap hit is allegedly $5.3 million. Simms is allegedly getting about $5 million in 2007 too.

odd.

Maybe the Bucs want our number eight pick and will trade Plummer for it?? Dang wish Plummer had an opt out option....

TexanFan881
03-03-2007, 02:39 PM
Could Plummer be traded for the third time?

ProFootballTalk
BUCS TO SHIP PLUMMER TO RAIDERS?

There's speculation in league circles that the Tampa Bay Buccaneers will eventually trade quarterback Jake Plummer to the Oakland Raiders.

The thinking is that the Raiders are interested in acquiring Plummer as a short-term starter while expected No. 1 overall pick JaMarcus Russell gets ready to play, but that there's no way that the Raiders and Broncos ever could have done business together.

Enter the Bucs, who could end up being the straw man for a deal that puts Plummer in silver and black.

Stay tuned.

Wow...atleast it doesn't say Texans anywhere in there.

newport texan
03-03-2007, 02:46 PM
there is NO WAY Plummer will play in Oakland...he would be in the exact same situation he wanted out of in Denver...watching over his shoulder while fans beckon for the 1st round rookie to play

DRIFTAWAY
03-03-2007, 03:05 PM
maybe oakland would then trade him to houston for david car??:yikes:

potisyourfriend
03-03-2007, 03:06 PM
I think TB took my weed..

texasguy346
03-03-2007, 04:16 PM
Nicely played by Shannahan. I'm a bit surprised Tampa Bay was even open to the idea after signing Garcia. Other teams know that the Bucs aren't going to want to pay 15 million dollars for their top three QBs, and it would seem likely that they'd have to either release or trade one of them. Maybe Plummer goes to another team for a 5th or something.

Second Honeymoon
03-03-2007, 05:51 PM
Nicely played by Shannahan. I'm a bit surprised Tampa Bay was even open to the idea after signing Garcia. Other teams know that the Bucs aren't going to want to pay 15 million dollars for their top three QBs, and it would seem likely that they'd have to either release or trade one of them. Maybe Plummer goes to another team for a 5th or something.

Well said. Shanahan punked Kubes/Smith. Simple as that. The Texans didn't want to give up more than a 6th rounder or a late 2008 pick and Shanny shipped him to someone who would be willing to do so. Tampa Bay now has true QB competition and some trade bait while we are standing there with Carr as our starter and no feasable and logical alternative (other than Sage) after Garcia was taken off the market.

I hope this is all salary cap maneuvering and that Plummer's ultimate destination will be Houston for a 5th round pick in 2007 or a 4th round in 2008. I think Shanahan was just done dealing with Plummer and wanted him gone.

I may be deluding myself by thinking there is something strange going on, but in today's NFL teams can get over by being crafty and smart with caps and bonus dates and performance bonuses.

The only other scenario would be that TampaBay is trying to grab all the top talent out there so that Oakland is forced to go with QB at #1. That would almost guarantee that either Peterson or C.Johnson are there at #4.

excuse the rant..

Luv Ya Blue 2007
03-03-2007, 07:55 PM
Maybe the Bucs want our number eight pick and will trade Plummer for it?? Dang wish Plummer had an opt out option....

he does, it's called "I'm going to retire".:marionaner: :drunk:

Hervoyel
03-03-2007, 09:41 PM
I say we trade Carr to the Bucs now. What the heck, they may do it....seems like they are cornering the market on the FA QB's. Is Casserly their new consultant? You know, you can never have too many mediocre QB's.

They're getting ready for a franchise merger with Detroit (it's been kept quiet until now, I just figured it out) and they think they'll need all these QB's to throw to all the receivers that Matt Millen will have stockpiled.

TexanFan881
03-03-2007, 09:45 PM
UNION TO PROTEST PLUMMER TRADE

A league source tells us that the NFL Players Association is expected to file a grievance objecting to the trade that sent Broncos quarterback Jake Plummer to the Buccaneers for a conditional 2008 draft pick.

The argument is that, because Plummer actually filed retirement papers on Friday, his rights cannot be traded.

And while the NFLPA likely has a valid point, the immediate question is why do they care? If Plummer is retired, then he's retired.

If the grievance is successful, the trade most likely would be voided, and Plummer's rights returned to the Broncos.

It's believed that the Bucs plan to trade Plummer's rights to the Raiders. It's also believed that Plummer wants to play for the Texans.

Stay tuned.

He's not going to be on a team anyways, why does it matter?

GP
03-03-2007, 11:08 PM
Something's up.

This doesn't just "happen."

I have a feeling this storyline is deep. There's no way Plummer threatens retirement, doesn't have to go to Tampa Bay, and is now GOING to Tampa Bay.

Something else is getting worked out. He vowed to retire, got a deal nixed, and is now where he said he wouldn't go...to a team that has also signed Jeff Garcia, and still has Chris Simms as its returning starting QB.

Plummer didn't change his mind...he got someone to get him the deal he wants, and the full details are being worked out amongst all the teams involved.

Me thinks this will be a dizzy ride before it's over.

2BCF
03-03-2007, 11:23 PM
Quote:Originally Posted by Vinny
You know, you can never have too many mediocre QB's.

hey, that's our motto! But I guess we can share it. :tease:

Actually, only one has proven to be mediocre, at best.
I'm more optimistic about the other 2.

mexican_texan
03-03-2007, 11:26 PM
Why is the thread titled "traded again"?

The Pencil Neck
03-04-2007, 12:50 AM
Something's up.

This doesn't just "happen."

I have a feeling this storyline is deep. There's no way Plummer threatens retirement, doesn't have to go to Tampa Bay, and is now GOING to Tampa Bay.

Something else is getting worked out. He vowed to retire, got a deal nixed, and is now where he said he wouldn't go...to a team that has also signed Jeff Garcia, and still has Chris Simms as its returning starting QB.

Plummer didn't change his mind...he got someone to get him the deal he wants, and the full details are being worked out amongst all the teams involved.

Me thinks this will be a dizzy ride before it's over.

His RIGHTS were traded for a conditional pick. If he comes out of retirement, the Buccs own him and the Broncos get a pick. If he doesn't come out of retirement, nobody gets nothing.

The Pencil Neck
03-04-2007, 12:51 AM
Why is the thread titled "traded again"?

Probably because the first trade fell through and then a second trade was made for Plummer's rights.

TexanBacker93
03-04-2007, 01:11 PM
I say we trade Carr to the Bucs now. What the heck, they may do it....seems like they are cornering the market on the FA QB's. Is Casserly their new consultant? You know, you can never have too many mediocre QB's.

It must be something in the water down in Florida where all the NFL teams want to carry as many mediocre starting QBs as possible.

Ole Miss Texan
03-04-2007, 01:19 PM
It must be something in the water down in Florida where all the NFL teams want to carry as many mediocre starting QBs as possible.

hahah "now i don't care who you are, that $h#$ funny."

Tulip
03-04-2007, 01:55 PM
More info on this Bucs/Broncos/Texans Plummer drama:

http://community.foxsports.com/blogs/NFL_Czar/2007/03/03/Competition_for_Chris_Simms

Yes, Plummer has announced he plans to retire rather than play in Tampa Bay. But the Bucs and Broncos wrote a pretty interesting contract before the NFLPA got wind of what was happening. If Plummer reports this month to the Bucs, Denver receives a fourth-round pick. But if Plummer doesn’t report in March, the compensation is a seventh-rounder.

This is a very interesting trade language, and one designed to prevent Plummer from simply asking to be released from Denver and then signing with the Houston Texans, where his former offensive coordinator, Gary Kubiak, is the head coach. That is what Plummer wanted to do and exactly what the Broncos wanted to prevent.