PDA

View Full Version : Calvin Johnson one of greatest prospects ever

jaayteetx
03-02-2007, 06:08 PM
According to John McClain, thats what he has heard. Now, why isn't there all the hype surrounding this kid, ala Reggie Bush, Vince Young. Could it be, because he didn't play for a big-time college football power? Also, there more than likely will be THREE teams pass on him. How come these teams and their fans are not going to catch all the grief we and the Houston Texans franchise has had to endure since drafting Mario Williams? Could it have anything to do with the media and how they push their own agendas? Just a thought.

kastofsna
03-02-2007, 06:45 PM
it's definitely a media thing. i've heard scouts say they've never seen the unbelievable physical skills combined with on-the-field dominance from a prospect like they see with calvin johnson. easily best WR prospect ever.

TexanSam
03-02-2007, 06:48 PM
it's definitely a media thing. i've heard scouts say they've never seen the unbelievable physical skills combined with on-the-field dominance from a prospect like they see with calvin johnson. easily best WR prospect ever.

I think it would be kind of funny if he flops.

dtran04
03-02-2007, 06:50 PM
Gallery had more hype than CJ did.

kastofsna
03-02-2007, 06:54 PM
I think it would be kind of funny if he flops.
it'll pretty much have to be injury or some off-the-field thing for that to happen.

Second Honeymoon
03-02-2007, 06:57 PM
CJ has the best combination of hands, speed, size, athleticism, and most importantly actual production than has ever been seen by a WR at the combine. Moss is probably the only guy that has come close.

El Amigo Invisible
03-02-2007, 08:49 PM
I was hoping he could slip to 4 or 5 and we could move up.:stirpot: :pigfly:

thunderkyss
03-02-2007, 09:49 PM

Not to mention he understands the game very well...... very smart kid.

Easily the best prospect in this draft..... greatest ever??

I don't know about all that.

WRs will impact a game, no doubt. & a game changing WR is easily worth a #1 overall... but I can't see them generating the hype of a #1 QB, or a #1 RB.

That, and the team at #1 has Randy Moss, and Jerry Porter... it would be kinda like having Duece McAllister, and drafting Reggie Bush.

So... even though I think CJ is the best prospect in this draft, I'd have no problem if the top two teams passed on him for a QB, and a RB, which is probably going to happen.

If the Browns pass on him for JT, I'd understand, considering Braylon Edwards is cathching on. But I'd still take CJ if I were them.

Bucs.... if he makes it there, he won't go any further.

HomeBred_Texan
03-02-2007, 10:41 PM
My guess is, and this is only a guess mind you...

The Raiders will make a trade and get there self a QB this off-season and draft Calvin Johnson with the 1st pick and throw a loop into everyone's mock drafts...

If that happened, watch teams wheel and deal to move up and get there man before someone else does something weird...

thunderkyss
03-02-2007, 10:47 PM
My guess is, and this is only a guess mind you...

The Raiders will make a trade and get there self a QB this off-season and draft Calvin Johnson with the 1st pick and throw a loop into everyone's mock drafts...

If that happened, watch teams wheel and deal to move up and get there man before someone else does something weird...

But CJ is the only one worth trading up for... Well Peterson, but I'm thinking he goes #2, & Detroit wants him. AFter that, you don't trade up for what's left. They are already going to cost you a boat load to sign them, and it'll cost a lot to move up.

NRowl
03-02-2007, 11:11 PM

Carr for Jerry Porter and a 4th from the Raiders??? :stirpot:

The Pencil Neck
03-02-2007, 11:18 PM
Well Peterson, but I'm thinking he goes #2, & Detroit wants him.

Do you really think they do? I mean, they've got Thomas Jones who should be back the middle of next season and they got Tatum Bell. Now, Peterson should be an upgrade over those two but... why trade for Tatum Bell unless you were planning on using him while Thomas Jones recovers?

I don't expect them to go with AP.

HoustonFrog
03-02-2007, 11:34 PM
According to John McClain, thats what he has heard. Now, why isn't there all the hype surrounding this kid, ala Reggie Bush, Vince Young. Could it be, because he didn't play for a big-time college football power? Also, there more than likely will be THREE teams pass on him. How come these teams and their fans are not going to catch all the grief we and the Houston Texans franchise has had to endure since drafting Mario Williams? Could it have anything to do with the media and how they push their own agendas? Just a thought.

Or it could be the fact that a WR only touches the ball a few times a game while a QB touches it every play and a RB will anywhere from 15-30 times a game.

thunderkyss
03-03-2007, 12:02 AM
Do you really think they do? I mean, they've got Thomas Jones who should be back the middle of next season and they got Tatum Bell. Now, Peterson should be an upgrade over those two but... why trade for Tatum Bell unless you were planning on using him while Thomas Jones recovers?

I don't expect them to go with AP.

When you say Thomas Jones... do you mean Kevin Jones?? If so, yes. If they went and got Thomas Jones.... no.

They got Foster(a solid right tackle) & fith round pick for Dre Bly..... remember what we thought about Bell when we thought we'd get him & Plummer??

Bell will start the year, he usually runs well in September & October..

Would they take CJ?? I really don't see that.

NEROtheZERO
03-03-2007, 11:44 AM

He played for Georgia Tech, not Marshall. They might not be annual national championship contenders but they did play for the ACC championship last year and are annual top 20 material. Give credit where credit is due.

kastofsna
03-03-2007, 12:00 PM
if he played for USC or texas....forget about it. the coverage on him would be ridiculous.

Vinny
03-03-2007, 12:02 PM
Michael Westbrook was one of the greatest prospects ever too....till Casserly selected him. I saw CJ play in a few games....awesome player.

nunusguy
03-03-2007, 01:09 PM
Just last year Reggie Bush was rated as one of the top running back prospects to come out in years, yet failed to finish among the first 5 rookie
backs in rushing yards last season. Hopefully Johnson fairs better in his rookie
class of receivers.

thunderkyss
03-03-2007, 01:17 PM
if he played for USC or texas....forget about it. the coverage on him would be ridiculous.

heck, even Notre Damn or Michigan....

Just last year Reggie Bush was rated as one of the top running back prospects to come out in years, yet failed to finish among the first 5 rookie
backs in rushing yards last season. Hopefully Johnson fairs better in his rookie
class of receivers.

Mainly because he isn't an NFL running back, and will probably make the move to WR/PR pretty soon.

There is no doubt, or question about what an NFL team is going to do with Calvin Johnson...

Ole Miss Texan
03-03-2007, 02:27 PM
Calvin Johnson is awesome. It does kinda of make me mad that people are so quick to say oh yea oakland needs jamarcus russell they should get him. it may be a good move for their team but everyone makes fun of houston for making a football decision and trying to build their team with a guy like mario. Mario Williams is and will be so much better than Jamarcus Russell.

Calvin Johnson is one of the most solid picks....safe picks, along with laron landry and patrick willis.

Every team that passes CJ should get heat thrown at them but of course the media rules the world. what they say is what people believe.

georgia tech is not that good of a team. their not bad but..they arent a nationally 'known'/ talked about team. Reggie Ball was a bad QB and CJ stats could have been tremendous if he played on a better team. I do agree RB and QB touches the ball a lot more than WR...and may have more impact on the game.

run-david-run
03-03-2007, 02:36 PM
Calvin Johnson is probably as "bust-proof" as any player has ever been. Just the combination of physical elemets: 240 (holy crap), 45+ vertical, 4.35 speed, 6'5". He is basically a bigger version of AJ his first year, with about the same speed, better hands and better routes. If you are gonna pass on him, you better be sure that whomever you are picking is going to be great, because CJ is going to be.

Vinny
03-03-2007, 03:53 PM
Calvin Johnson is probably as "bust-proof" as any player has ever been. Just the combination of physical elemets: 240 (holy crap), 45+ vertical, 4.35 speed, 6'5". He is basically a bigger version of AJ his first year, with about the same speed, better hands and better routes. If you are gonna pass on him, you better be sure that whomever you are picking is going to be great, because CJ is going to be.I love the kid but there are zero "sure things" when it comes to humans and the draft. Physically, Michael Westbrook was just like him. Westbrook also ran a 4.47-second 40 at the combine. Westbrook was "can't miss" and bust proof too supposedly.

kastofsna
03-03-2007, 04:15 PM
westbrook's problems were injury-related. but he was nothing the prospect like johnson. good size...good speed....but nothing jawdropping.

Vinny
03-03-2007, 04:19 PM
westbrook's problems were injury-related. but he was nothing the prospect like johnson. good size...good speed....but nothing jawdropping.
It was much more than injuries. Dude had issues when healthy too. Aren't you the guy who tried to convince me Young sucked as a QB last year before the Rose Bowl? yeah, I thought so. Keep up the good work.

kastofsna
03-03-2007, 04:29 PM
no, i don't think i was here before the rose bowl. good one.

however i did say he sucked after the rose bowl and still say it to this day. quarterbacks need to be smart to be good. not morons. also need to be able to throw the ball. but that's just my opinion.

HoustonFrog
03-03-2007, 05:01 PM
no, i don't think i was here before the rose bowl. good one.

however i did say he sucked after the rose bowl and still say it to this day. quarterbacks need to be smart to be good. not morons. also need to be able to throw the ball. but that's just my opinion.

Here is my question...who said he is a moron and who said he can't throw?That is just hater b.s. about the guy. I'm surprised he even made the team last year he was so dumb:rolleyes: You ever hear Terry Bradshaw talk?

kastofsna
03-03-2007, 05:14 PM
because he can't digest an NFL playbook and scored a 7 on the wonderlic. got the question wrong asking what the 9th month of the year is. dumbo.

but brady quinn is having a pretty dumb offseason himself. so i'm not "hating." thems the facts.

threetoedpete
03-03-2007, 05:31 PM

He77 I told ya that about Calvin Johnson three months ago. Had to argue it untill up to the combine with folks in here...welcome aboard John McClian.

Because the eastern sports channel did not anoint Calvin Johnson's team the greatest college football team, nor cj as the greatest player of all time. ESPN gets to bang things home twenty times a day, seven times a week, fifty-two weeks a year. Just 'cause they say it's so don't necessarily make it so. Mario will always be tied to Reggie Bush, Vincent Young, and D'brickashaw Fugeson as long as they are all in the league together. That's just the way it is. Mario gets the foot well this off season ...all of that talk will end.

SF49erFaithful
03-03-2007, 05:52 PM
because he can't digest an NFL playbook and scored a 7 on the wonderlic. got the question wrong asking what the 9th month of the year is. dumbo.

but brady quinn is having a pretty dumb offseason himself. so i'm not "hating." thems the facts.

I'm not convinced Vince Young is as good the media makes him out to be either. But if you want to say he can't learn an NFL playbook, you better back it up with something better than his wonderlic score. The wonderlic test is a completely useless test that does nothing whatsoever to measure football intelligence.

SF49erFaithful
03-03-2007, 05:53 PM
Calvin Johnson is most certainly not the best WR prospect ever.

threetoedpete
03-03-2007, 06:13 PM

Yep that JR memoralbillia just took a hit there big guy. And only someone with a built in prejudice wouldn't acknowlege the obvious. He not only is, noone else is even close.

kastofsna
03-03-2007, 06:34 PM
I'm not convinced Vince Young is as good the media makes him out to be either. But if you want to say he can't learn an NFL playbook, you better back it up with something better than his wonderlic score. The wonderlic test is a completely useless test that does nothing whatsoever to measure football intelligence.
i mentioned his inability to learn an NFL offense first. the wonderlic doesn't help though; the guy is dumb as bricks.
yeah he is.

HoustonFrog
03-03-2007, 06:55 PM

Were you at Titans camp?How di dhe not dogest the playbook?He did pretty well for a rookie. BTW. Marino had a 14 on his Wonderlic, Randall Cunningham a 15, Neil O'Donnell a 13, Kordell Stewart a 12. McNabb took it twice and got a 12 and a 16, Culpepper took it three times and got a 15 the one time, David Garrard a 14, Losman took it twice and got a 14, studied and got a 31, Jason Campbell took it three times and got a 14 on one, and Steve McNair got a 15. They mean nothing. So it just sounds ignorant to say he can't learn a playbook because of the test when you know nothing about what he knows, etc. He seems to be doing just fine. Again, football players aren't asked to solve global warming.

kastofsna
03-03-2007, 07:41 PM
you're thinking too concrete. never did i say that he can't digest a playbook BECAUSE of the wonderlic score. he's just not very smart. and both seem to signal that fairly easy.

but let's stop talking about his braindead vince young is. this is about calvin johnson.

Ole Miss Texan
03-03-2007, 07:55 PM
Were you at Titans camp?How di dhe not dogest the playbook?He did pretty well for a rookie. BTW. Marino had a 14 on his Wonderlic, Randall Cunningham a 15, Neil O'Donnell a 13, Kordell Stewart a 12. McNabb took it twice and got a 12 and a 16, Culpepper took it three times and got a 15 the one time, David Garrard a 14, Losman took it twice and got a 14, studied and got a 31, Jason Campbell took it three times and got a 14 on one, and Steve McNair got a 15. They mean nothing. So it just sounds ignorant to say he can't learn a playbook because of the test when you know nothing about what he knows, etc. He seems to be doing just fine. Again, football players aren't asked to solve global warming.

I don't want to talk about the Wonderlic Test too much. I like it and think it's kinda 'fun' test to give and take. it isn't a test that translates to the nfl with too much accuracy. i like it because you have to be not only smart to do well on it but perform well under pressure and when you have to think quickly under pressure. again it doesnt go to the nfl too great...i think vince performs very well under pressure, at least as a quarterback and playing the game..he's simply a 'winner'.

But I don't like your arguement too much to tell you the truth. While those are all VERY bad scores...the majority is still TWICE as much as Vince scored..which is pretty lame.

I thought the score was 6...lol...

SF49erFaithful
03-03-2007, 07:57 PM
Yep that JR memoralbillia just took a hit there big guy. And only someone with a built in prejudice wouldn't acknowlege the obvious. He not only is, noone else is even close.

Lol, what is up with you bringing up Jerry Rice whenever talking about Calvin Johnson?

Larry Fitzgerald was a better prospect coming out of Pittsburgh.

Ole Miss Texan
03-03-2007, 08:00 PM
Lol, what is up with you bringing up Jerry Rice whenever talking about Calvin Johnson?

Larry Fitzgerald was a better prospect than CJ coming out of Pittsburgh.

Larry Fitzgerald definitly had more hype....I guess it's just a matter of opinion.

I'd take Calvin Johnson over most players...he is simply amazing and I think he's one of the greatest prospects ever...he just doesn't have the hype. If ESPN talked about him a lot...every body and their mother would be saying yea he's the best but the majority of the people blindly follow espn's thoughts..

threetoedpete
03-03-2007, 08:11 PM
Larry Fitzgerald definitly had more hype....I guess it's just a matter of opinion.

I'd take Calvin Johnson over most players...he is simply amazing and I think he's one of the greatest prospects ever...he just doesn't have the hype. If ESPN talked about him a lot...every body and their mother would be saying yea he's the best but the majority of the people blindly follow espn's thoughts..

Agreed: Fitgerald is a fine tallent and I'm not knocking him at all. BUT, I watched the guy in five games. it was Jim Brownesque watching him play. Everyone KNEW he was going to get the ball...and there was nothing they could do about it. Talking about a guy putting the team on his shoulders, what was it old miss twelve TDs...with continous double and triple teams ? And that was with a sub par QB. Some of the blocks he had were just plain nasty ridiculous. Nope unless he slips on a bar of soap or something and never gets to play...he's the best I've ever seen coming out.

HoustonFrog
03-03-2007, 10:43 PM
I don't want to talk about the Wonderlic Test too much. I like it and think it's kinda 'fun' test to give and take. it isn't a test that translates to the nfl with too much accuracy. i like it because you have to be not only smart to do well on it but perform well under pressure and when you have to think quickly under pressure. again it doesnt go to the nfl too great...i think vince performs very well under pressure, at least as a quarterback and playing the game..he's simply a 'winner'.

But I don't like your arguement too much to tell you the truth. While those are all VERY bad scores...the majority is still TWICE as much as Vince scored..which is pretty lame.
I thought the score was 6...lol...

I'm just saying he hasn't seemed to have trouble on any level.

Ole Miss Texan
03-03-2007, 10:51 PM
I'm just saying he hasn't seemed to have trouble on any level.

You're right, he's dominated (us) so far..lol

He really exceeded my expectations so far...esp. this early in his career.

kastofsna
03-04-2007, 02:15 AM

Larry Fitzgerald was a better prospect coming out of Pittsburgh.
what?? fitzgerald doesn't have the size or speed as johnson. not at all. johnson is a MUCH better prospect.

phan1
03-04-2007, 06:28 AM
Participating at the combine really helped him too. If he went to a huge school, he probably would have gotten some dumb agent that would have played politics and kept him away from the combine.

Ole Miss Texan
03-04-2007, 12:22 PM
Participating at the combine really helped him too. If he went to a huge school, he probably would have gotten some dumb agent that would have played politics and kept him away from the combine.

He would have been in the heisman race if he went to a national championship contender..imo.

i think it's simiply amazing he decided to run last minute and borrowed a pair of cleats.

swtbound07
03-04-2007, 12:25 PM
you're thinking too concrete. never did i say that he can't digest a playbook BECAUSE of the wonderlic score. he's just not very smart. and both seem to signal that fairly easy.

but let's stop talking about his braindead vince young is. this is about calvin johnson.

That sentence just about knocked me over with its irony.

mexican_texan
03-04-2007, 12:28 PM
Everyone knows the Titans playbook was dumbed down, right?

Offensive Coordinator Norm Chow decided the best way to get his rookie project into the flow of things was to meet him halfway. Chow rewrote much of the Titan playbook to include more shotgun formations and gave Vince more read-option plays.
http://www.jockbio.com/Bios/Vince/Vince_bio.htmlhttp://www.jockbio.com/Bios/Vince/Vince_bio.html

Vinny
03-04-2007, 12:33 PM
almost to the point ours was I hear.

thunderkyss
03-04-2007, 12:37 PM

http://www.jockbio.com/Bios/Vince/Vince_bio.htmlhttp://www.jockbio.com/Bios/Vince/Vince_bio.html

I wouldn't say dumbed downed.

I'd say customized.

mexican_texan
03-04-2007, 12:38 PM
Basically, we wanted to give Carr three plays so he wouldn't throw much. Or at least that's what I would've done.

kastofsna
03-04-2007, 12:39 PM
the guy has a track record of the playbook being dumbed down. but the younglovers will deny it no matter what. HE'S A WINNER DERF

mexican_texan
03-04-2007, 12:40 PM
I wouldn't say dumbed downed.

I'd say customized.
Call it what you want, they still had to change the playbook for Vince and he's not all that different from Steve McNair.

Texans Horror
03-04-2007, 12:50 PM
I don't care if he has half the brains of tweedle-dee or tweedle-dum. The Titans made a good move by changing their playbook, and they missed the play-offs by a blocked punt. I'll take that over our building version 6.0 any day.

CJ looks awesome. "one of the greatest prospects ever" may be laying it on too thick, but you have to understand that I am a Texans fan, and the Texans tend to pass on the "greatest player in x amount of years" type of players.

Ole Miss Texan
03-04-2007, 12:57 PM

BURN!!!

DOUBLE BURN!!!

swtbound07
03-04-2007, 01:00 PM
the guy has a track record of the playbook being dumbed down. but the younglovers will deny it no matter what. HE'S A WINNER DERF

And you have a track record of just about everything you say being completely wrong. Your words aren't worth the electronic memory its taking to store them. Go on folks, pull up some of kasty's posts from about this time last year and read his "expert" spewage.

kastofsna
03-04-2007, 01:02 PM
by all means. and look at some of the things everyone else said. i look brilliant. ;)

mexican_texan
03-04-2007, 01:09 PM
by all means. and look at some of the things everyone else said. i look brilliant. ;)
Let's just stop now. We know what they're going to say: he won and that's all that mattered.

kastofsna
03-04-2007, 01:12 PM
I don't care if he has half the brains of tweedle-dee or tweedle-dum. The Titans made a good move by changing their playbook, and they missed the play-offs by a blocked punt. I'll take that over our building version 6.0 any day.
a blocked punt? i thought it was young's 39.9 passer rating and 2 INT's that caused them to miss the playoffs. blew it in the clutch.

swtbound07
03-04-2007, 01:14 PM
Let's just stop now. We know what they're going to say: he won and that's all that mattered.

No diego...you can ignore EVERYTHING he's ever said about vince and he still gets routinely outsmarted by toast

mexican_texan
03-04-2007, 01:15 PM
Okay, which of his posts are wrong? Playbooks were dumbed down, or "customized," for VY.

swtbound07
03-04-2007, 01:19 PM
Okay, which of his posts are wrong? Playbooks were dumbed down, or "customized," for VY.

Ignore the vince young tennessee stuff. Yes, the playbook was changed for vince. Im talking about his draft stuff last year, his commentary all this year, and basically pretty much everything he says. He's wrong about Vince too, but thats a complete side issue. This guy is as right as often as a lottery winner

mexican_texan
03-04-2007, 01:21 PM
Ignore the vince young tennessee stuff. Yes, the playbook was changed for vince. Im talking about his draft stuff last year, his commentary all this year, and basically pretty much everything he says. He's wrong about Vince too, but thats a complete side issue. This guy is as right as often as a lottery winner
I see. My memory isn't great, so I don't remember anything of his from last year, so I can't talk.

Vinny
03-04-2007, 01:26 PM
There is nothing wrong with being wrong. Heck, if we only posted if we were right I'd only have God and perhaps Love_ya_blue left on board talking to each other. I mean, what's the fun in that? Speculation brings putting yourself out there for the others to pick apart, but calling yourself the board guru and not accepting your history of less than astute observations...well, creates tons of unintentional humor.

kastofsna
03-04-2007, 01:27 PM
i'm wrong about one or two things and swt goes overboard with the exaggerating. but it's okay. his obsession is obvious. everytime i posts, he makes a comment. and he's made a few threads about me before. it's kinda cute, but weird.

mexican_texan
03-04-2007, 01:28 PM
There is nothing wrong with being wrong. Heck, if we only posted if we were right I'd only have God and perhaps Love_ya_blue left on board talking to each other. I mean, what's the fun in that? Speculation brings putting yourself out there for the others to pick apart, but calling yourself the board guru and not accepting your history of less than astute observations...well, creates tons of unintentional humor.
As far as the guru thing, YoungTexansFan surpasses him, but as I said, I don't recall much from him from last year.

Vinny
03-04-2007, 01:29 PM
As far as the guru thing, YoungTexansFan surpasses him....the King is dead! Long live the King!

swtbound07
03-04-2007, 01:29 PM
i'm wrong about one or two things and swt goes overboard with the exaggerating. but it's okay. his obsession is obvious. everytime i posts, he makes a comment. and he's made a few threads about me before. it's kinda cute, but weird.

I just want to remind people where your interests really lie. I really don't know why your on this board....you don't give a damn about our team at all.

Mel Kiper On Growing Peterson Buzz
Views: 742 Posted By kastofsna
Re: Mel Kiper On Growing Peterson Buzz

if you guys trade down and someone moves ahead of miami by one spot and drafts quinn, i'm going to personally punch every texans fan in the face.

Your words, correct?

edit* and if its any consolation, you don't annoy me NEARLY as much as hulk75.

kastofsna
03-04-2007, 01:30 PM
I just want to remind people where your interests really lie. I really don't know why your on this board....you don't give a damn about our team at all.

Mel Kiper On Growing Peterson Buzz
Views: 742 Posted By kastofsna
Re: Mel Kiper On Growing Peterson Buzz

if you guys trade down and someone moves ahead of miami by one spot and drafts quinn, i'm going to personally punch every texans fan in the face.

Your words, correct?
oh snap! you've caught me! i'm not a texans fans. damn! i've been trying to hide my true identity for a long time now and....oh wait, no i haven't. i'm a big dolphins homer. very astute observation.

kastofsna
03-04-2007, 01:31 PM
As far as the guru thing, YoungTexansFan surpasses him, but as I said, I don't recall much from him from last year.
YTF is pretty smart. i think he's a bit green overall, but he knows his stuff. :winky:

HoustonFrog
03-04-2007, 01:33 PM
I'm not a UT guy, obviously, or a homer, but winning is winning, no matter what playbook you run. As I said, he seems to improve wherever he goes...like people saying he couldn't throw but leading the NCAA in completion percentage...so I'll asume he will work on his game. As I said yesterday, Terry Bradshaw wasn't the sharperst tool in the shed and as Hollywood Henderson put it, “He couldn’t spell cat if you spotted him the C and the T”

I'll end with another brilliant quote by Joe Thiesmann

"“Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman
Einstein.”

Enough said.

kastofsna
03-04-2007, 01:45 PM
winning is fairly easy with a team full of all-americans. and playing teams that are far less talented than your own. but i could be wrong.

HoustonFrog
03-04-2007, 01:48 PM
winning is fairly easy with a team full of all-americans. and playing teams that are far less talented than your own. but i could be wrong.

What about with an 0-3 team that is going no where and you take them to the edge of the playoffs?Just sayin..

kastofsna
03-04-2007, 01:58 PM
damn you're right. he just wins...

autch14
03-04-2007, 07:14 PM
I would love for the texans to move up to the 3rd pick in the draft and select calvin johnson. The guy is a freak, and we could get tampa bay back for taking the two qb's we were looking at. What do yall think?

TexanSam
03-04-2007, 07:15 PM
Haven't the Texans said they are looking to acquire more picks not get rid of them? Almost no chance of it happening, IMO.

BleedTheBurntOrange
03-04-2007, 07:16 PM
i would love him i think he's gonna a star but i dont think we would move up for him

johnson&johnson would look very good though

SF49erFaithful
03-05-2007, 04:57 AM
what?? fitzgerald doesn't have the size or speed as johnson. not at all. johnson is a MUCH better prospect.

Sorry, I guess that I forgot speed is the most essential component when evaluating WR prospects. :sarcasm:

kastofsna
03-05-2007, 08:23 AM
Sorry, I guess that I forgot speed is the most essential component when evaluating WR prospects. :sarcasm:
when you have two guys who are pretty much identical in their game, you'll take the guy with the better speed over the other one. especially if that guy is several inches taller, too. well, if you're smart that is.

SF49erFaithful
03-06-2007, 04:59 AM
when you have two guys who are pretty much identical in their game, you'll take the guy with the better speed over the other one. especially if that guy is several inches taller, too. well, if you're smart that is.

Well I guess if there is Clone A and Clone B, and they're exactly the same, with no differences other than B is slightly faster, then sure. Take B. But the fact is no two WR's are exactly the same, so even if they may have some similarities I don't think you can come to the conclusion that Calvin Johnson is a superior prospect because he might be faster.

kastofsna
03-06-2007, 08:18 AM
no, i can come to that conclusion because johnson is a better athlete in every way. the only area that fitzgerald has an advantage over johnson is the jump ball.

Seņor Stan
03-06-2007, 01:42 PM

Ryan Leaf scored a 27. Ryan. Leaf.

Game, Set, Match.

kastofsna
03-06-2007, 02:12 PM
is a 27 good?

SF49erFaithful
03-07-2007, 03:31 AM
no, i can come to that conclusion because johnson is a better athlete in every way. the only area that fitzgerald has an advantage over johnson is the jump ball.

So are you saying Calvin Johnson is a better prospect than Fitzgerald was just because Johnson might be more athletic?

kastofsna
03-07-2007, 07:31 AM
first of all, the better athlete always trumps when it comes to prospects. they are, afterall, prospects, not finished products. but i happen to feel that johnson is also just a better player overall, as WELL as a better athlete. so...he's just better all around.

threetoedpete
03-20-2007, 02:13 PM
first of all, the better athlete always trumps when it comes to prospects. they are, afterall, prospects, not finished products. but i happen to feel that johnson is also just a better player overall, as WELL as a better athlete. so...he's just better all around.

Well only numbers mind you, but I think they put an explination point on the arguement.
http://www.gbnreport.com/index.htm

3-15-07

(12:01 AM): Take that you QB guys!! He still probably won’t be taken first overall, but Georgia Tech WR Calvin Johnson made yet another statement that he is the best athlete in the 2007 draft with another impressive display at Yellow Jackets’ pro day yesterday. Working out in front of about 75 league scouts and coaches Johnson, for example, posted an almost unheard of broad jump of 11-7 and had a 42.5 vertical leap. That’s on top of his now almost legendary performance at last month’s scouting combine when the 6-5, 239-pounder ran an impromptu 4.35 40 in borrowed shoes. And it would be fascinating to see Oakland head coach Lane Kiffen’s report on what he saw this week. Kiffen, who’s Raiders have the first overall pick at this year’s draft, was in Atlanta at yesterday’s Georgia Tech workout after taking in LSU QB Jamarcus Russell’s workout in Baton Rouge the day before.

If only Big Al and Montey could land them both.

Ole Miss Texan
03-20-2007, 03:42 PM
Well only numbers mind you, but I think they put an explination point on the arguement.

3-15-07

Wow...wonder if they took a look at Schaub while they were there..lol

cuppacoffee
03-20-2007, 03:44 PM
heck, even Notre Damn or Michigan....

Alright.:hunter: TK...:ninja:... :fight:

Tell me it was a typo and we'll be ok.

:coffee:

kastofsna
03-20-2007, 11:08 PM

3-15-07

as i overheard a scout saying a few weeks ago....he's never seen a prospect that not only dominated every aspect of the game on the field, but was also a complete freak of nature athletically, AND whose game translated so well to the next level in any offense, for any team. clearly the best prospect in a LONG time. how can oakland pass on him? being a bit of a "planet theory" guy, i'm pretty much now resigned to the fact that no, they will NOT pass on him.