PDA

View Full Version : Carlisle to visit Texans

TexanFan881
03-02-2007, 01:19 PM
Aaron Wilson of scout.com and ravensinsider.com is reporting Denver Broncos free agent offensive lineman Cooper Carlisle is interested again in possibly joining the Baltimore Ravens, but no signing is imminent and no visit is currently planned.

In fact, Carlisle is scheduled to visit the Seattle Seahawks, Houston Texans and Miami Dolphins.

A little bit about him:

http://www.nflplayers.com/players/player.aspx?id=28863
2005: Started all 16 games and helped block for Andersonís 1,000-rushing yard performance en route to the team gaining its second-most rushing yards (2,539) on the fourth-most rushes (542) in team history.

2004: Carlisle played all 16 regular-season games for the Broncos on special teams and saw action at guard in six contests (4 starts). Carlisle, who started Denver's final four regular-season games at right guard in place of the injured Dan Neil, helped the Broncos set a franchise record by allowing only 15 sacks, shattering the previous best of 22 sacks set in 1971, to rank third in the NFL. Despite season-ending injuries to the Broncos' top two running backs early in the year, Denver totaled the franchise's sixth-best single-season rushing total (2,333 yds.) behind the strong play of its offensive line. Carlisle started at right guard in Denver's AFC Wild Card Game at Ind. (1/9), marking the first playoff start of his career.

http://www.nbcsports.com/nfl_players/1574/detail.html
Broncos guard Cooper Carlisle is expected to be a hot commodity on the free agent market this offseason. The Denver Post believes he could be the No. 2 guard behind Eric Steinbach, with no mention of Kris Dielman. Carlisle turns 30 next season, whereas the other two are just coming off their rookie contracts.

And no surprise, he was on Denver. Sounds like a solid player that could help us out though.

keyfro
03-02-2007, 01:21 PM
the problem is our need along the o-line is at tackle and center not guard...with pitts and weary we're actually pretty set

HuttoKarl
03-02-2007, 01:21 PM
If he knows the blocking schemes and the playbook and can provide depth at a reasonable cost, don't hesitate to get him.

keyfro
03-02-2007, 01:25 PM
yeah but i don't think he's gonna come as cheap as other players...and the coaching staff really seems to like the kid they got during the season jackson...i mean the guy is 30 and is probably gonna ask for a mil plus per year to sign...that's way more than i think we need to be spending on a position that isn't of need

Texans Horror
03-02-2007, 01:27 PM
:shocked: Depth? But we have Bedell and Salaam...

:sarcasm:

thunderkyss
03-02-2007, 01:28 PM
Wow...... I didn't realise Cooper was a FA...

& they just traded away their only 1st round offensive linemen.

It must be pretty easy to find an OL to fit the Broncos scheme, if they've never drafted a lineman earlier than the third(Cooper was drafted in the fourth) with the exception of the guy they just traded+a 2nd round running back+this years 5th round pick for one 2nd round Corner.

TransplantTexan1
03-02-2007, 01:39 PM
I don't mind Chester at LG but I think we'd do well to be in position to have someone challenge Fred at RG. Granted, I think Fred improved the last six or so games of last year but still... if we can do better, I'm all for it.

Please_Evolve
03-02-2007, 03:48 PM
Wasn't Fred a center? If we could bring in Carlisle and shift Weary back to Center...and not have to start McKinney on the line.....That is a start there in itself. That's like three moves signing one player.

dirty steve
03-02-2007, 03:50 PM
Wasn't Fred a center? If we could bring in Carlisle and shift Weary back to Center...and not have to start McKinney on the line.....That is a start there in itself. That's like three moves signing one player.
was thinking the same thing until i saw you posted it. not sure how much time weary has had at center at the pro level, but i'd be interested to see.

Ole Miss Texan
03-02-2007, 03:51 PM
Not a bad thing to have many good Guards on our team. I'd rather a good Tackle or Center more though. I saw him on Denver's FA list and it sparked my interest.

I'd take him for the right price...would'nt overpay too much though.

Ole Miss Texan
03-02-2007, 03:52 PM
Plus we released Ephraim. I hope we can resign him later for cheaper and that's why we did it. Bedell isn't he one of our FA too though?

I'm also hoping we address the line via the draft as well...either C or T

kubs-elway
03-02-2007, 04:15 PM
Cooper can run block with the best of them, has trouble with a bull rush, would need help in that area, would be a great pick, probally cheap.

infantrycak
03-02-2007, 04:16 PM
Plus we released Ephraim.

Salaam was not released--he was playing on a one year deal and so became a FA.

cj5776
03-02-2007, 05:25 PM
I will try to find a link but I thought he played RT for the broncos last year. So the only question is which former broncos is going to replace Payne? Meyers?
Moulds= Lelie
Wiegrat=Carslie
Payne=Meyers

HuttoKarl
03-02-2007, 05:27 PM
I will try to find a link but I thought he played RT for the broncos last year. So the only question is which former broncos is going to replace Payne? Meyers?
Moulds= Lelie
Wiegrat=Carslie
Payne=Meyers

Myers would be a nice add.

cj5776
03-02-2007, 05:40 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=498&contentID=707

He is listed as a guard/ tackle, but it looks like 2003 was his last time to get significant minutes at Tackle, but still I wonder if Kubes is giving him attention because of the potential to play Tackle.

HuttoKarl
03-02-2007, 05:42 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=498&contentID=707

He is listed as a guard/ tackle, but it looks like 2003 was his last time to get significant minutes at Tackle, but still I wonder if Kubes is giving him attention because of the potential to play Tackle.

Probably looking at his potential to not totally suck. :mario:

kiwitexansfan
03-03-2007, 01:15 AM
Probably looking at his potential to not totally suck. :mario:

That is just cold man.

I hope we get Carlisle especially if he has potential to play some tackle as well as guard.

I would like to see: Spencer, Pitts, Weary, Carlisle, Winston.

Unless we draft a OL, I would like to see Kalil if miracles happen and he lasts till our #2 pick.

Ckw
03-03-2007, 01:19 AM
Right now I don't think we can be real picky about getting any decent/good offensive lineman. Frankly, I will take what we can get.

dirty steve
03-03-2007, 01:21 AM
Right now I don't think we can be real picky about getting any decent/good offensive lineman. Frankly, I will take what we can get.
i agree. i'll take what we can get and hope some of them turn out better than expected.

green and lelie visit tomorrow (per abc 13), so we'll see.

Ckw
03-03-2007, 01:25 AM
i agree. i'll take what we can get and hope some of them turn out better than expected.

green and lelie visit tomorrow (per abc 13), so we'll see.

I'll be crossing my fingers. I just think if we can concentrate on our line and safety in free agency, it leaves us open to do A LOT of things in the draft. We won't feel as pressured to draft for need and we can get best player available. We just need to get going.

Insideop
03-03-2007, 01:42 AM

PE, I have been thinking about this too since the Texans interviewed Alleman (Guard, 6'4", 302) at the Combine. At first I was wondering why they would be looking at a Guard, and then I realized they need a Center and could move either McKinney or Weary to Center and pick up a Guard in the draft or FA.

My thought is though that it will be McKinney they move since he played pretty well at Center the last 2 games. Either way it is a lot easier to move one of them to Center rather than draft one and have him start off right away. I still hope they draft a Center, maybe in the later rounds, to be developed. JMHO!

TexanBacker93
03-03-2007, 11:27 AM
I'd rather not have Weary at center. Well, he played some in college, but he was at guard as a senior and that's what the Texans drafted him as. I don't recall him even getting reps at center, but I guess it could be worth a look. Flanagan should be healthy and I didn't think he did that poorly considering the team was starting a couple of rookie tackles.

dbspi
03-03-2007, 02:49 PM

It makes sense to move Weary to C because I don't think Flannagan is the solution at the position any more. Age and injury will be the consideration with Flannagan. We still need to draft one LT in this draft.