PDA

View Full Version : No shock, yet!

Yankee_In_TX
03-02-2007, 12:11 PM
So to me, everything is playing out exactly like I thought it would. Depsite all the "rumors" and "theories." IMO, next year has not been made or broken yet. For the next 2 months, I feel the 2007 season WILL be made or broken. We don't have enough picks (again!) to fill all of our needs. We cut players, we're trying to free some room. The Texans NEED to do something big in FA. Period. There are too many ways they could go to start listing players, all of which would increase our chances to win.

THEN, let the slams begin, how our "FO doesn't know what they're doing" or that Kubes or Rick Smith are idiots, etc.

QB is not a priority simply because we don't have enough assets/draft picks to fix QB and our other pressing needs. I honestly think with a solid line and a good running game we could tolerate Carr for either one more season or while we see if a late round QB pick is going to pan out.

Not sure why everyone is being so critical when nothing drastic or unexpected has happened yet. My $.02.

MightyTExan
03-02-2007, 12:17 PM
I don't know, but I'm not getting a good feeling for the new season.

keyfro
03-02-2007, 12:19 PM
well not sure what everyone was expecting...techniquely we have one of the worst cap situations in the league thanks to all the stupid contracts that casserly had signed...we have i think more dead money than any other team in the league...so there wasn't much room for this franchise to sign people...we're going to be doing what the patriots did last year...sign the second and third tier FA's and hope that they play well above expectations

Texan_Bill
03-02-2007, 12:20 PM
I don't know, but I'm not getting a good feeling for the new season.

I'm opposite. I AM getting a good feeling about what might transpire over the next couple of months....Alas, I am a Texan fan and have been dissapointed before, but so far, I am getting a good vibe.

titan hater
03-02-2007, 12:22 PM
I'm opposite. I AM getting a good feeling about what might transpire over the next couple of months....Alas, I am a Texan fan and have been dissapointed before, but so far, I am getting a good vibe.

Why are you getting a good vibe? If LeLi (or what ever he calls himself) is the best we can do...be prepared for a long 2007...

Texans Horror
03-02-2007, 12:24 PM
Moulds was a shock to me. He was a solid #2 receiver, and for the first time last year I felt like the Texans had the right personnel for that part of the game. No need to look at receivers for another couple of years. Now the Texans are desperate for a #2 receiver.

Also, the Texans currently have their worst line ever and with a lot of question marks.

Feels like they are taking steps backwards instead of forwards.

HuttoKarl
03-02-2007, 12:25 PM
According to Sporting News we have between 10-13 million under the cap. That's before Weigert, Payne and Moulds were cut.

There were plenty of teams with 3-10 million under left.

We're not as bad as some would think. We're not going to get the top tier unless we only want to sign one player, but we can fill some holes via FA with solid producers.

Double Barrel
03-02-2007, 12:26 PM
Build a solid running game and a dominant defense in order to minimize the QB's role in games. It's going to be our only hope if Carr is our QB in 2007. He's not the type of player that can do more with less, and he's not one to inspire his teammates to play better through leadership. He is who he is, and we have to build a team that can win in spite of it all.

I'm already used to the idea, and will cheer accordingly. I'm a Texan.

Porky
03-02-2007, 12:28 PM
Here's my vibe. Who is going to be the #1 overall pick in 2008. :ok:

srstex
03-02-2007, 12:28 PM
FA-LB Porter-Steelers,WR Horn-NO, Jake retired, these are just three good reasons to feel good about FA, players like the two that are not retiring, are out there to be had and if we can get in there early we could help ourselves alot.

Yankee_In_TX
03-02-2007, 12:29 PM
Build a solid running game and a dominant defense in order to minimize the QB's role in games. It's going to be our only hope if Carr is our QB in 2007. He's not the type of player that can do more with less, and he's not one to inspire his teammates to play better through leadership. He is who he is, and we have to build a team that can win in spite of it all.

I'm already used to the idea, and will cheer accordingly. I'm a Texan.

We can only hope DB. Then in 08 or 09 when we have a decent team that wins in spite or Carr, imagine what would happen when we (have more money and fewer holes) get a real QB????

2BCF
03-02-2007, 12:36 PM
So to me, everything is playing out exactly like I thought it would.

yawn...good for you dood.

Yankee_In_TX
03-02-2007, 12:39 PM

I will do a dance at draft day if we plug our glaring needs now, have a 7 or 8 win season, and draft a QB #1 (hopefully not overall, lol) in 2008.

(though I THOUGHT that's how we'd be going into the 2007 draft :()

OrangeCountyTexansFan
03-02-2007, 12:41 PM
Who has the No.1 pick again? My brain hurts.

Yankee_In_TX
03-02-2007, 12:43 PM
Who has the No.1 pick again? My brain hurts.

We're about 16 games away from knowing that one :)

beerlover
03-02-2007, 12:45 PM

ya heard of Darren McFadden http://www.razorbacklegacy.com/hog_archive/albums/yearly_photos/2005/auburn/normal_2005_auburn_darren_mcfadden.jpg

Texan_Bill
03-02-2007, 12:53 PM
Why are you getting a good vibe? If LeLi (or what ever he calls himself) is the best we can do...be prepared for a long 2007...

I'm resigned to the fact that it will be a long 2007 season anyway. We have / had way too many holes to fill, to seriously contend for anything this year, but you got to start somewhere. I know that doesn't sound very positive, but we've been in the cellar our entire existance and so any changes are welcomed.

The vibe is coming from a second year coach starting to clean house, dump players.

By the way, no I wouldn't be terribly excited about picking up Lelie but shoot, it's only the beginning of being able to start talking to FA's with a couple of months to go. (personally, I would rather talk to Joe Horn, way older, but way more productive last season)

LoneStarState
03-02-2007, 02:04 PM
This year's 5-11 record is brought to you by "dead money" and "no room under the salary cap"...

NATHANHALE
03-02-2007, 02:20 PM
[QUOTE=Yankee_In_TX;611153]So to me, everything is playing out exactly like I thought it would. Depsite all the "rumors" and "theories." IMO, next year has not been made or broken yet. For the next 2 months, I feel the 2007 season WILL be made or broken. We don't have enough picks (again!) to fill all of our needs. We cut players, we're trying to free some room. The Texans NEED to do something big in FA. Period. There are too many ways they could go to start listing players, all of which would increase our chances to win.

THEN, let the slams begin, how our "FO doesn't know what they're doing" or that Kubes or Rick Smith are idiots, etc.

QB is not a priority simply because we don't have enough assets/draft picks to fix QB and our other pressing needs. I honestly think with a solid line and a good running game we could tolerate Carr for either one more season or while we see if a late round QB pick is going to pan out.

Not sure why everyone is being so critical when nothing drastic or unexpected has happened yet. My $.02.[/QUOTE

QB is why we have not installed most of our offensive playbook-QB is why we are one dimensional/predictable/conservative-QB is why we have no vertical passing game-QB is a big reason we don't score enough points to win==need more?

Texan_Bill
03-02-2007, 03:01 PM
:stirpot:

QB is why our defense cant stop anybody.... j/k

texas mopar
03-02-2007, 03:13 PM
[QUOTE=Yankee_In_TX;611153]So to me, everything is playing out exactly like I thought it would. Depsite all the "rumors" and "theories." IMO, next year has not been made or broken yet. For the next 2 months, I feel the 2007 season WILL be made or broken. We don't have enough picks (again!) to fill all of our needs. We cut players, we're trying to free some room. The Texans NEED to do something big in FA. Period. There are too many ways they could go to start listing players, all of which would increase our chances to win.

Not sure why everyone is being so critical when nothing drastic or unexpected has happened yet. My $.02.[/QUOTE

QB is why we have not installed most of our offensive playbook-QB is why we are one dimensional/predictable/conservative-QB is why we have no vertical passing game-QB is a big reason we don't score enough points to win==need more?

QB is why we can't run the ball or block for the man running the ball & QB is the reason why we gave up back to back 83 yd TD pass this year Gees that QB is all we need!!!

Double Barrel
03-02-2007, 03:52 PM
:stirpot:

Actually, 3 and outs keep our defense on the field, which tires them out quicker.

So yeah, a QB that can lead long, sustained drives is a big assistance to a defense. (Much less the aspect of boosting moral when our offense can score on a turnover - ala Indy game - instead of giving it right back.)

Maybe a QB that doesn't average almost a fumble per game would help out the D, too. Nothing like making a stop, sit down on the bench to rest, but have to go back on the field in a quick 90 seconds.

Or how about if we're trying to protect a lead, having a QB that can manage a two minute offense? That would instill some confidence throughout our team, as well.

Too bad it's all the offensive line's fault. Those guys make everyone look bad. :shades:

Texan_Bill
03-02-2007, 04:04 PM
Actually, 3 and outs keep our defense on the field, which tires them out quicker.

So yeah, a QB that can lead long, sustained drives is a big assistance to a defense. (Much less the aspect of boosting moral when our offense can score on a turnover - ala Indy game - instead of giving it right back.)

Maybe a QB that doesn't average almost a fumble per game would help out the D, too. Nothing like making a stop, sit down on the bench to rest, but have to go back on the field in a quick 90 seconds.

Or how about if we're trying to protect a lead, having a QB that can manage a two minute offense? That would instill some confidence throughout our team, as well.

Too bad it's all the offensive line's fault. Those guys make everyone look bad. :shades:

Originally Posted by Texan_Bill

--------> :stirpot: <---------

That was a sardonic comment. Don't take it too seriously, because we all know that Kris Brown is the root of ALL evil on this team...

Seriously though, my 'sardonic' comment was really in reference to one game, and that was Buffalo where they scored twice before I could even get the Beer guy down to my seats...

Double Barrel
03-02-2007, 04:07 PM
I hear ya', TB. :thumbup

I knew you were messin' around, but thought I'd reply anyway.

That Buffalo game was just brutal at the beginning. I felt like we were watching lambs being taken to the slaughter. I was amazed that we were in the game at the end, but it figures that Richard Smith would finish what he started with more bad defensive calls.

trutxn
03-02-2007, 04:09 PM
So to me, everything is playing out exactly like I thought it would. Depsite all the "rumors" and "theories." IMO, next year has not been made or broken yet. For the next 2 months, I feel the 2007 season WILL be made or broken. We don't have enough picks (again!) to fill all of our needs. We cut players, we're trying to free some room. The Texans NEED to do something big in FA. Period. There are too many ways they could go to start listing players, all of which would increase our chances to win.

Not sure why everyone is being so critical when nothing drastic or unexpected has happened yet. My $.02.

There is nothing "BIG" in free agency this year and we still have all of our picks (7). It would be nice to add some contributors to the team in FA, but many of them are asking for more money than they are worth. You build your team in the draft, not through free agency. FAs are good in support of your draft and thats it.

Runner
03-02-2007, 04:25 PM
There is nothing "BIG" in free agency this year and we still have all of our picks (7).

The Texans need, in no particular order and to varying degrees:

1) Offensive Tackle
2) Center
3) Free Safety
4) Outside Linebacker
5) Legitimate #2 Receiver
6) Defensive Tackle
7) Quarterback
8) Depth Everywhere

There had better be a couple of small to mediums in free agency, and they better have the best set of rookies ever.

I'm a little queasy.

kcwilson
03-02-2007, 04:46 PM

1) Offensive Tackle
2) Center
3) Free Safety
4) Outside Linebacker
6) Defensive Tackle
7) Quarterback
8) Depth Everywhere

There had better be a couple of small to mediums in free agency, and they better have the best set of rookies ever.

I'm a little queasy.

I think the real question is... if there were one area of the team that we couldn't address as effectively as the others, which area would that be?

I think OLB might be my least worried about position amongst the ones you rank, followed by a legit #2 WR. I think we have some options at #2 WR with Walter, Anderson, and maybe a Mathis. It isn't strong by any stretch, but I think the back fill of potential at the WR spot is probably easier to replace than others.

I think areas you can't afford to neglect are CB, S, and OT and C.
You can get Landry in the first, and possibly C Ryan Kalil in the 2nd... if you can address a CB in free agency and a tackle, then I think that might solidify the team enough to compete... after those, I would focus on DT and QB.

The defense wasn't that bad at the end of the year, surely they made more progression than the offense did.

RTP2110
03-02-2007, 04:48 PM
Let's be glad if the Texans are not players in free agency. I'm sure you've noticed, but that whole free agency thing hasn't exactly worked out for the Texans. Ever. Weigert, Wade, Greenwood, Weaver, etc...Until the Texans become a winner, and a place where high profile players want to come they will be stuck with mediocre talent signings in free agency. Until the Texans become winners, they'll have to build throught the draft. Last year was a good start, let's hope they keep it going this year. All IMO, of course.

Runner
03-02-2007, 06:44 PM
I think the real question is... if there were one area of the team that we couldn't address as effectively as the others, which area would that be?

I wouldn't worry too much about the defensive line. Sign Maddox and the other guy from the end of last year, get TJ healthy, and make do.

The offensive line however, is the worst it has ever been - at least from the second year forward. That is saying something with this team's history. I can't wait to see the plan they have to fix that.

TexanSam
03-02-2007, 06:47 PM

1) Offensive Tackle
2) Center
3) Free Safety
4) Outside Linebacker
6) Defensive Tackle
7) Quarterback
8) Depth Everywhere

I'm a little queasy.

To be fair, every team is going to have a weakness somewhere and you can't expect the Texans to fill all the wholes in one offseason. I do believe the Texans can fill 4 or 5 of those needs through FA and the draft.

Runner
03-02-2007, 07:00 PM
To be fair, every team is going to have a weakness somewhere and you can't expect the Texans to fill all the wholes in one offseason. I do believe the Texans can fill 4 or 5 of those needs through FA and the draft.

The key word is somewhere vs. everywhere. Compound that with the depth problems throughout the team and it might be another long season. Each injury on this club is magnified.

carter08
03-03-2007, 01:50 PM
You do know we tripled our win total from 2005 to 06

Do that again in 2007, and, well,

18 wins

so 16-0 regular season
2 playoff wins
lose in the superbowl

Double Barrel
03-03-2007, 02:11 PM
The jump from 6 wins to 9 wins is huge in the NFL.

carrfan4life08
03-03-2007, 08:45 PM

I disagree. its not the qb. he plays hard out there. sure he makes mistakes sometimes. but no one is perfect. watch if he stays and we are winning next year you guys will be thanking god we kept carr

Nawzer
03-03-2007, 08:51 PM
I disagree. its not the qb. he plays hard out there. sure he makes mistakes sometimes. but no one is perfect. watch if he stays and we are winning next year you guys will be thanking god we kept carr

Sure it's not the qb if you say so:ok:

The Pencil Neck
03-03-2007, 09:44 PM

If we start winning but Carr continues to play poorly, then I will continue to ask for his departure.

If Carr starts playing well, regardless of whether we win or lose, I will stop calling for him to be canned.

I'm a fan. That's in my job description.

Yankee_In_TX
03-04-2007, 07:44 PM

Woot! Step #1 complete. A. Green, new Texans RB. Another FA would be nice (any WR's out there? is Stokley washed up?), but I am satisfied for now.

Onto the draft.

Firstly: O Line, CB, S
Secondly: D Line, WR?
Thirdly: QB, WR

Yankee_In_TX
03-07-2007, 11:59 AM
Woot! Step #1 complete. A. Green, new Texans RB. Another FA would be nice (any WR's out there? is Stokley washed up?), but I am satisfied for now.

Onto the draft.

Woot woot! Step #2. With the Danny Clark signing, we have a good LB coming in. Better numbers than Orr and Wong, AND playoff experience (even if it is limited). Again, seems to make sense. Plug one more hole, and narrow what we're looking for in the draft. Good job Mr. Smith - undervalued player SIGNED.

(positions dependent on who is available)

petedy
03-07-2007, 03:24 PM

I know trade for Kerry Collins to play QB and then the team and the rest of Houston will have a drinking buddy.Then you won't care what the QB does.Listen he'll come cheap just make sure the cabinets are filled with booze.:drool: