PDA

View Full Version : Plummer deal blown by retirement threat

Paragon Blue
03-02-2007, 11:26 AM
as per NFL NETWORK

03-02-2007, 11:28 AM
uhh... didnt he just get traded to the bucs?..

tulexan
03-02-2007, 11:28 AM
crazy.

Paragon Blue
03-02-2007, 11:29 AM
uhh... didnt he just get traded to the bucs?..

yeah it just said the trade was nullified

Blake
03-02-2007, 11:31 AM
Haha! Players would rather retire than play for the Lions and Millen.

So funny.

nunusguy
03-02-2007, 11:31 AM
yeah it just said the trade was nullified
If that's true, maybe he was really serious about playing for Kubiak or else ?

real
03-02-2007, 11:33 AM
Lmao!

real
03-02-2007, 11:34 AM
Haha! Players would rather retire than play for the Lions and Millen.

So funny.

*coughthebucscough*

03-02-2007, 11:34 AM
i'm not buying this, cold pizza confirmed the trade

stingray
03-02-2007, 11:35 AM
Man, this is a crazy day and it's not even noon yet!!!

DomDavis

It's pretty simple. The trade may have been confirmed between the teams, but then Plummer would be contacted, and apparently he nixed it then with his retirement.

real

They don't report bull **** on NFL network....especially news like this...

kastofsna
03-02-2007, 11:36 AM
welp, that's insane. the bucs are going to go insane after garcia now.

Blake
*coughthebucscough*

bah my bad. thx for catching that.

Paragon Blue
They don't report bull **** on NFL network....especially news like this...

Exactly, Adam Schefter if reporting this he is pretty dead on.

TexanFan881
If Denver can get a 4th rounder for Plummer, we can probably get a 2nd for Carr. :shocked A lot of Bucs fans are happy :)

mikey21
03-02-2007, 11:37 AM
Jake Plummer will not be competing with Chris Simms for the starting quarterback job of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

A reported trade that would have sent Plummer from the Denver Broncos to Tampa Bay for a fourth-round draft pick was nullified Friday because of the veteran quarterback's decision to retire, according to Adam Schefter of NFL.com.

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10032993

Ralph Jr-22
NFL channel is reporting that Plummer is going to retire, which will nullify the trade.!!! WOW!!!

dtran04
Plummer forcing the Broncos to send him to the Texans. LOL

kastofsna
03-02-2007, 11:38 AM
Exactly, Adam Schefter if reporting this he is pretty dead on.
except with anything related to the draft.

real
03-02-2007, 11:39 AM
I wonder if the Bucs would give us a 2nd or 3rd for Carr now...:hmmm:

Paragon Blue
03-02-2007, 11:39 AM
hilarious, now Jake can go live in a shack in the mountains and catch up on his unibomber motif.

lol:

HuttoKarl
03-02-2007, 11:40 AM
Carr to TB for a 4th???? Come on Ricky...make that phone call.

DomDavis
03-02-2007, 11:41 AM
except with anything related to the draft.

I'm not sure if your history here puts you in a position to call out anyone for being wrong with the draft.

hot pickle
03-02-2007, 11:42 AM
i wouldnt be surprised if plummer came out of retirement in acouple weeks, and signs with the texans.....

Reddevil63
03-02-2007, 11:43 AM
I'm not sure if your history here puts you in a position to call out anyone for being wrong with the draft.

lol:

real
03-02-2007, 11:45 AM
Carr to TB for a 4th???? Come on Ricky...make that phone call.

Im thinking that the Texans want higher than a 4th for Carr...Im thinking their asking price is either a second or third...

Otherwise the Bucs probably would have gone after Carr before they had pursued Plummer...

Just a thought...

kastofsna
03-02-2007, 11:46 AM
i'm more accurate than he is. so if you think i'm bad, then...yeah.

HuttoKarl
03-02-2007, 11:49 AM
Im thinking that the Texans want higher than a 4th for Carr...Im thinking their asking price is either a second or third...

Otherwise the Bucs probably would have gone after Carr before they had pursued Plummer...

Just a thought...

Hey man...I'm just saying that if we want to get the most bang for our offseason buck, we need to get something for Carr rather than just releasing him. Let Sage start and use that spare 4th to grab our QB of the future. We'd save so much cash at the QB position.

Lucky
03-02-2007, 11:49 AM
Bucs. Vikes. Doesn't matter, the result is the same. (http://forums.houstontexans.com/showpost.php?p=605544&postcount=36)
...McLain says the Vikings have draft picks to spare, are close to being able to win, and would be one of few teams willing to give Mike Shanahan a draft pick for Plummer rather than wait for him to be cut.

Plummer would have to agree to play for the Vikings. Else, he could "retire" and the deal is off. Plummer is in the driver's seat here, not the Broncos.

Jake's coming to Houston. Deal with it, people.

TexanFan881
03-02-2007, 11:52 AM
Hey man...I'm just saying that if we want to get the most bang for our offseason buck, we need to get something for Carr rather than just releasing him. Let Sage start and use that spare 4th to grab our QB of the future. We'd save so much cash at the QB position.

Who ever said we were going to release Carr?

HOU-TEX
03-02-2007, 11:53 AM
Bucs. Vikes. Doesn't matter, the result is the same. (http://forums.houstontexans.com/showpost.php?p=605544&postcount=36)

Jake's coming to Houston. Deal with it, people.

Nice call! If a player retires wouldn't he have to stay retired for an allotted amount of time? Isn't it like that with coaches that still have time on thier contract. They have to stay retired for the remaining of thier contract. I might be way off base here so don't flame me too much.:hides:

real
03-02-2007, 11:53 AM

I don't disagree with that....I would trade Carr for a seventh if that's all that was offered...

i'm just saying that I think the Texans are holding out for atleast a third, and possibly a second....

powerfuldragon
03-02-2007, 11:54 AM
so wait. plummer's feigning retirement so he can come go houston? so confused.

TigerV1
03-02-2007, 11:55 AM
Ok, so Plummer retires how long does he have to wait if he wanted to unretire. Plenty of players retire and come back, but most take a year off or so. Could he decide to unretire next week and then be a free agent? What are the rules on a situation like this?

Porky
03-02-2007, 11:55 AM
Wow. Talk about a curveball.

What are the rules in regard to coming out of retirement? Does he have to sit out a yr before he can unretire?

Jake for QB in 08! :winky:

real
03-02-2007, 11:56 AM
I'm liking how this is shaping up for us...Besides Garcia it looks like we pretty much have the market cornered...

HuttoKarl
03-02-2007, 12:04 PM
Who ever said we were going to release Carr?

Nobody, officially. It's my plan. Release or trade Carr, take the hit, DON'T sign a Veteran FA QB, start Sage, draft QB. We can get 11 TD's out of Sage for a small fraction of what we'd pay Carr.

thunderkyss
03-02-2007, 12:06 PM
Junior Seau retired last year, only to sign with the Patriots something like a month afterwards.

titan hater
03-02-2007, 12:11 PM
www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10032993

I just saw this on cbssportsline.com....Hummmm

powerfuldragon
03-02-2007, 12:12 PM
http://forums.houstontexans.com/showthread.php?t=35913

marv800
03-02-2007, 12:12 PM
http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/DEN/10033012

titan hater
03-02-2007, 12:13 PM
UH...sorry...

beerlover
03-02-2007, 12:13 PM
thats the way to fight the power :jam:

SuperMario
03-02-2007, 12:15 PM
Does this mean that Plummer's a free agent?

amazingandre
03-02-2007, 12:18 PM
now that plummer has "retired" what are the thoughts of him coming out after his release and gets signed here? maybe he and kubs have been talking about it.....? idk but something is really weird....all this trade talk and retiring makes my head hurt:drunk:

Lucky
03-02-2007, 12:21 PM
...If a player retires wouldn't he have to stay retired for an allotted amount of time? Isn't it like that with coaches that still have time on thier contract. They have to stay retired for the remaining of thier contract.
First, Plummer has only threatened to retire. He hasn't sent in his papers to the league office or the Broncos, yet. Basically, Jake was saying "I'm not reporting to Tampa Bay." And the Bucs pulled out of the deal.

If Plummer actually retires, the Broncos have a couple of options. One, they can release Plummer from his contract and ask for whatever pro-rated amount left from his signing bonus (that's what Jake probably wants). Two, keep Plummer's contract on the books, and treat him like a player who did not report. Essentially, it's a game of chicken. I would think the Broncos would release Plummer so they could utilize the cap space. That's probably Plummer and his agent's thinking, as well.

tulexan
03-02-2007, 12:22 PM
Junior Seau retired last year, only to sign with the Patriots something like a month afterwards.

Yeah, but was his contract up?

run-david-run
03-02-2007, 12:25 PM
Yeah, but was his contract up?

I think he was released, so its a differant situation. Lol.

SuperMario
03-02-2007, 12:26 PM
That's what I think is going to happen. That would be good for us, we save our draft picks. We should try to trade Carr to the Bucs.

mexican_texan
03-02-2007, 12:27 PM
Ok, so Plummer retires how long does he have to wait if he wanted to unretire. Plenty of players retire and come back, but most take a year off or so. Could he decide to unretire next week and then be a free agent? What are the rules on a situation like this?
I think the Bucs own his rights until his Broncos contract is up.

tulexan
03-02-2007, 12:29 PM
I think we are holding on to Carr for draft day trades.

2BCF
03-02-2007, 12:31 PM
now that plummer has "retired" what are the thoughts of him coming out after his release and gets signed here? maybe he and kubs have been talking about it.....? idk but something is really weird....all this trade talk and retiring makes my head hurt:drunk:

I agree, it's definitely turned out to be some Oprah s#@!.

amazingandre
03-02-2007, 12:34 PM
what are the rules of coming out of retirement.....dont post please unless you KNOW you are RIGHT!!!!i dont want to read i think and imo stuff.....curious on how this will/can work for us.....

WillyP
03-02-2007, 12:35 PM
I think the Bucs own his rights until his Broncos contract is up.

But the trade was nullified, so it seems to me that Denver would still retain control over Plummer's rights.

TransplantTexan1
03-02-2007, 12:37 PM
This is all turning out to be quite the soap opera. I wonder what TB management is thinking right now?

real
03-02-2007, 12:37 PM
what are the rules of coming out of retirement.....dont post please unless you KNOW you are RIGHT!!!!i dont want to read i think and imo stuff.....curious on how this will/can work for us.....

First, Plummer has only threatened to retire. He hasn't sent in his papers to the league office or the Broncos, yet. Basically, Jake was saying "I'm not reporting to Tampa Bay." And the Bucs pulled out of the deal.

If Plummer actually retires, the Broncos have a couple of options. One, they can release Plummer from his contract and ask for whatever pro-rated amount left from his signing bonus (that's what Jake probably wants). Two, keep Plummer's contract on the books, and treat him like a player who did not report. Essentially, it's a game of chicken. I would think the Broncos would release Plummer so they could utilize the cap space. That's probably Plummer and his agent's thinking, as well.

amazingandre
03-02-2007, 12:41 PM
so since he may retire they will cut him and get some cap money plus he is a free agent then? now will they wait for his papers or do they just cut him to get the money right away....and if he is cut is it b/c he wants to play for houston or he wants to be done playing.....on the bucs one guy says he probably wants to start from day one. but if he comes here he will have to compete for the starting job...so it doesnt make sense......i hate this crap....we need an inside guy to tell us what the hell is going on around here.....we deserve to know

texasguy346
03-02-2007, 12:42 PM
Wild & crazy stuff that's for sure. Looks like Lucky was dead on Plummer is seeking his release so he can then pick where he lands. Definately an interesting start to the free agency period.

ROCKY
03-02-2007, 12:52 PM
I would be SHOCKED if Kubes has'nt gotten a call from old Jake the Snake. MAN, jake really is elusive..just look how he got outta this situation! I actually am liking him better after this move...he's a crafty veteran, that's for sure!

amazingandre
03-02-2007, 12:53 PM
adam scheftner says that he is retiring and on the broncos mb they say that they own his rights and he cant just go into fa and try to get signed......he has to wait until the contarct is up

ROCKY
03-02-2007, 12:54 PM
They don't call him "The Snake" for nothin...

TEXANRED
03-02-2007, 12:55 PM
so since he may retire they will cut him and get some cap money plus he is a free agent then? now will they wait for his papers or do they just cut him to get the money right away....and if he is cut is it b/c he wants to play for houston or he wants to be done playing.....on the bucs one guy says he probably wants to start from day one. but if he comes here he will have to compete for the starting job...so it doesnt make sense......i hate this crap....we need an inside guy to tell us what the hell is going on around here.....we deserve to know

Just b/c you retire doesn't mean you get to choose what team you play for, otherwise tons of talent would retire every year. The team still holds the rights to that player.

Nor does he count against the cap, as I understand it his contract is nulified. Think of it as he quit his job. The only thing that is owed him is his guaranteed money.

He does not count as a roster spot either.

Exithios
03-02-2007, 12:58 PM
adam scheftner says that he is retiring and on the broncos mb they say that they own his rights and he cant just go into fa and try to get signed......he has to wait until the contarct is up

So my question now is, is the Bucs offer really "nullified" allowing Plummer to be put back on the market if he doesn't officially retire or do the Bucs hold some sort of rights to a deal keeping Plummer from being picked up in another trade deal elsewhere?

texasguy346
03-02-2007, 12:58 PM

That's only if the Broncos elect to keep him & pay him like a starting QB even though he'd be a backup. Not likely to happen since they'd open up more cap space by releasing him. The Broncos have Patrick Kerney & Daniel Grahm visiting today, and I'm sure they'd like to have the added cap space to ink key free agents. Not to mention it isn't a very good idea to overpay for a backup QB who won't be very happy about losing his starting job to a rookie.

Lucky
03-02-2007, 01:01 PM
...do the Bucs hold some sort of rights to a deal keeping Plummer from being picked up in another trade deal elsewhere?
Unless the trade was approved by the NFL office (didn't happen), the Bucs have no rights.

TexanFan881
03-02-2007, 01:18 PM
PLUMMER RETIREMENT A PLOY?

There's talk/speculation/ in league circles that Broncos quarterback Jake Plummer is using the retirement card as a ploy to get traded to Houston.

Though there was a report a week ago out of Denver that Plummer could pack it in, there was no hard evidence that he might quit until after news broke that Plummer would be traded to the Bucs for a fourth-round pick.

If Plummer retires, he'd potentially owe the team the portion of any signing bonus that applies to the three remaining years of his contract. And the Broncos have a history of playing hardball in matters of this nature -- just ask Dale Carter, Daryl Gardener, Eddie Kennison, and Ashley Lelie.

Please no, please :drunk: But if he wants to come to Houston this badly maybe we can get him for really cheap. That's the only way I'd want to get him. And no draft picks.

Tulip
03-02-2007, 01:19 PM
Yeah, I think he's trying to get Denver to cut him.

TexansLucky13
03-02-2007, 01:19 PM
Dear Lord Baby Jesus, please don't let this be true.

NATHANHALE
03-02-2007, 01:20 PM

Just a thought...

I posted an article a couple weeks ago that Gruden wants a 'proven' winning QB, specifically said he didn't want a qb who's primary role was to 'manage' and help the team score once in a while---now, who does that sound like?

real
03-02-2007, 01:21 PM
I posted an article a couple weeks ago that Gruden wants a 'proven' winning QB, specifically said he didn't want a qb who's primary role was to 'manage' and help the team score once in a while---now, who does that sound like?

Doesn't sound like Jake Plummer.

NATHANHALE
03-02-2007, 01:29 PM
Doesn't sound like Jake Plummer.

"We have to find a guy who can dominate," Gruden said. "Not a guy who can run a game or help us score here or there. We have to find a guy in Tampa, Fla., who can dominate in the NFL and be a superstar quarterback that gives us a chance to be where we want to be."

...think he's talking about Simms and Carr...

Nawzer
03-02-2007, 01:53 PM
Wow...I was off for a few hours and I come back and see this! Exciting stuff! And it's not even 2pm!

Hervoyel
03-02-2007, 01:56 PM
bah my bad. thx for catching that.

Nothing to be ashamed of man. It's an entirely understandable mistake. 9 times out of 10 if a player would rather retire than go to a team he's just been traded to then that team is the Detroit Lions.

The 10th time it's either the Texans or the Cardinals. They rotate the "honor" between the two of them.

It used to be between the Texans Cardinals, and Bengals but then the Bengals got better.