PDA

View Full Version : 49ers trying to sign CB Nate Clements

kastofsna
03-02-2007, 09:58 AM
will provide a link as soon as i get one.

Blake
03-02-2007, 09:59 AM
Good! Keep him out of the AFC South.

They really neded 2ndary help.

dirty steve
03-02-2007, 09:59 AM
not surprising. didnt the 49er's have the most to give?

kastofsna
03-02-2007, 10:00 AM
they're going to get Adalius Thomas very soon, too. good lord.

gtexan02
03-02-2007, 10:01 AM
Noooo! He was the one guy I thought we could really use. I hoe this isn't serious

tulexan
03-02-2007, 10:01 AM
Wow, the Niners are going to be good.

Errant Hothy
03-02-2007, 10:02 AM
We had no shot at Nate, I but the $ amount is something stupid.

Errant Hothy
03-02-2007, 10:04 AM
yay, at least one of my message boards will be happy today!

What no chance this message board is going to be happy today? :stirpot:

Mr teX
03-02-2007, 10:04 AM
I know that broke some hearts around here if this is true. He wasn't on my list b/c i knew he would command big bank, bank we didn't have. Oh well, on to the draft.

Blake
03-02-2007, 10:08 AM
No Tatum Bell, no Jake Plummer. Im happy.

Get me some line help, and a linebacker and ill be ok. Maybe a WR too. ;)

Porky
03-02-2007, 10:12 AM
No Plummer, No Clements. Getting Lelie, keeping Carr.

I need a drink.

Make it a double. :drunk:

:shots:

:gun:

Errant Hothy
03-02-2007, 10:14 AM
Why does anybody think we even had a shot at Clements...he wanted huge money and we don't have that money to spend. Nate was never, ever coming here.

Reddevil63
03-02-2007, 10:15 AM
I had gotten over my severe hatred of Charlie Casserly, but seeing a team like the 49'ers who were actually worse than we were at one point, rebuilding and actually having money to spend on players who can make a difference, well that just brings up all those bad feelings again. I mean seriously, has there every been a GM screw over an organization as bad?

nunusguy
03-02-2007, 10:16 AM
Looks more and more like we keep Carr...so that only makes Carr's relatives, a few guys who post here from California and some scattered local support happy.
After all that's happened, don't you really think that David Carr would like to
be out of Houston just as badly as his worst critics want him outa here ?

dirty steve
I had gotten over my severe hatred of Charlie Casserly, but seeing a team like the 49'ers who were actually worse than we were at one point, rebuilding and actually having money to spend on players who can make a difference, well that just brings up all those bad feelings again. I mean seriously, has there every been a GM screw over an organization as bad?
see:
Millen, Matt- Detroit
Thomas, Isaiah- New York

tulexan
Why does anybody think we even had a shot at Clements...he wanted huge money and we don't have that money to spend. Nate was never, ever coming here.

Because people thought that because he has a house in Houston that he would love to play here. It was a stupid argument.

TEXANRED
03-02-2007, 10:17 AM

Policy in Cleveland

Mr teX
03-02-2007, 10:18 AM
see:
Millen, Matt- Detroit
Thomas, Isaiah- New York

:laughjump:

SESupergenius
03-02-2007, 10:19 AM
I can cry a little now. He is truly the one guy I would say was a must have four our team. Another year of Peety and D-Rob is going to be rough.

TEXANRED
03-02-2007, 10:20 AM
I can cry a little now. He is truly the one guy I would say was a must have four our team. Another year of Peety and D-Rob is going to be rough.

We will draft someone. Remember? That thing at the end of April?

alphajoker
03-02-2007, 10:21 AM
It sucks that we couldn't get him, although it was false hope, but I'm damn glad that the Titans didn't get him either. With the 49ers and Titans both having huge amounts of space under the cap, I figuered it would be one of those two teams who would get him.:whew

Reddevil63
03-02-2007, 10:21 AM
see:
Millen, Matt- Detroit
Thomas, Isaiah- New York
Ya you got me with Millen :(

tulexan
03-02-2007, 10:22 AM

Was Clements the only FA CB available this year? We can still pick someone else up.

Porky
03-02-2007, 10:22 AM
Because people thought that because he has a house in Houston that he would love to play here. It was a stupid argument.

Not really, I heard him on one of the local radio shows, and he stated implicitly that he would like to play here. He said he would love to play for the Texans and be close to home. In the end, it was all about the jack.

This year is going to be pure torture. We are about to take yet another step back.

Let me be the first to start wondering who the #1 overall pick in the draft will be in April 08. Houston Texas is in his future.

Errant Hothy
03-02-2007, 10:24 AM
Not really, I heard him on one of the local radio shows, and he stated implicitly that he would like to play here. He said he would love to play for the Texans and be close to home. In the end, it was all about the jack.

This year is going to be pure torture. We are about to take yet another step back.

Let me be the first to start wondering who the #1 overall pick in the draft will be in April 08. Houston Texas is in his future.

I'm pretty sure he said we eould like to play here if the "price was right" which means "I'd like to play in Houston if they match the biggest offer I receive." And with or current cap number there was no way we were going to outbid the 9ers of teh Titans.

Just be thankful he's in the NFC.

Texas_Thrill
03-02-2007, 10:37 AM
I really did want Clements but let's face it. We just aren't THAT franchise yet. The 49ers can play the history card.

We can play the ummmmm yea. Big name FA's just aren't going to give us much thought yet.

dirty steve
03-02-2007, 10:40 AM

that argument sounds just like a former Rocket, now T-Wolve who is now riding the bench because he isnt that good anymore. Pettitte said the same thing when he signed here in 2003, but refuted them by going for the cash grab with the yankees.

torontooilfan
03-02-2007, 10:49 AM
As a diehard Titan fan, I'm thrilled they passed on Clements at 23M. I think that's utterly insane for a non franchise player not even top 3 at that position.

No one other than QBs are worth that kind of cap investment. Haven't we all learned from the Pats already?

Nawzer
03-02-2007, 11:05 AM
I'm not expecting the Texans to make a big free agency signing. I think they want to be really careful with the money since the last regime wasn't. I didn't expect Nate Clements or Adalius Thomas as Texans because they're going to the highest bidder and you can't blame them. I think the Texans will sign an o-linesman, wide receiver and maybe a backup corner. But I think the team is geared for the youth movement and we'll primarily build through the draft which is the right way to do it.

hot pickle
03-02-2007, 11:39 AM
out of all the teams that he went to in the nfl other than the texans im glad he went there, i like the 49ers, good pick up, there gonna be a good team next season

Titan "Tack" Fan
03-02-2007, 11:45 AM
How about you give us a link now Mr. "Insider"

ThaShark316
03-02-2007, 11:54 AM
Good! Keep him out of the AFC South.

They really neded 2ndary help.

I was just gonna say this...^^^ :shades:

Good signing by SF, now if they get A. Thomas, that D is gonna be...SCARRRRRRRRRRYYYYYY.

Specnatz
03-02-2007, 12:13 PM
I am not seeing info on this anywhere.

run-david-run
03-02-2007, 12:29 PM
I really did want Clements but let's face it. We just aren't THAT franchise yet. The 49ers can play the history card.

We can play the ummmmm yea. Big name FA's just aren't going to give us much thought yet.

History card? No, the 9ers can play the "we have more cap room than anyone, here is your money" card. With VERY few exceptions, FA is all about the money, period.

Texans Horror
03-02-2007, 12:37 PM
Wow, the Niners are going to be good.

Another team bounces from the basement to the play-offs, and the Texans are still building a franchise...

TexansLucky13
03-02-2007, 12:44 PM
Another team bounces from the basement to the play-offs, and the Texans are still building a franchise...

I would rather make the playoffs every year for 5 years then just get one playoff run. AKA Saints.

kastofsna
03-02-2007, 12:48 PM
I would rather make the playoffs every year for 5 years then just get one playoff run. AKA Saints.
no reason to think the saints can't make it next year...

TexanSam
03-02-2007, 12:49 PM

Why would a player care about the history of the franchise? All they think about is the $$

kastofsna
03-02-2007, 12:50 PM
they can also play the "good young team" card.

Texans Horror
03-02-2007, 12:53 PM

Just tired of seeing other teams go from good to rebuilding to back to good and the Texans still building...and building...and building...

See the signature...

Blu
03-02-2007, 01:03 PM
i just hope this rebuilding fase doesn't take 10 yrs or longer.:stirpot:

Those 49er fans just love me...so much..they made me a sweet sig. (http://www.datamigo.com/MyStuff/FlashSigs/BluSigSweets.swf)

TexansLucky13
03-02-2007, 01:14 PM
no reason to think the saints can't make it next year...

10 bucks says they dont.

kastofsna
03-02-2007, 01:17 PM
10 bucks says they dont.
at least give me a good reason as to why they won't.

Silver Oak
03-02-2007, 01:20 PM

Yeah...there's alot more of those going on right now in the Bull Pen.

WillyP
03-02-2007, 01:23 PM
where is the link? this hasn't been reported anywhere yet.

Trenches
03-02-2007, 01:30 PM
then 9ers were in cap hell for a few years. they are just now coming out of it. to compare the Texans NOW to the 9ers NOW is not fair.

I would say that at least they were in cap hell because of good players. we are strapped because of guys who arent even good enough to make our team.

gtexan02
03-02-2007, 02:50 PM
According to ESPN insider, they are very close. Unless someone has a link to show the deal has gone down already, I will continue to believe they are close but not there yet

SF49erFaithful
03-02-2007, 03:06 PM

Terry Donahue was an absolutely awful GM. He was the 49ers GM before Mike Nolan was hired.

SF49erFaithful
03-02-2007, 03:07 PM
Looks more and more like we keep Carr...so that only makes Carr's relatives, a few guys who post here from California and some scattered local support happy.

:rofl:

Meloy
03-02-2007, 03:26 PM
Has anyone seen any amounts that Nate was asking for or being offered. i have seen nothing but variations of a "whole bunch". Anything actually known on what range he will be in?

SF49erFaithful
03-02-2007, 03:34 PM
1:08 p.m.: Anthony Adams pulled up to the front of the 49ers' team offices to grab some of his belongings. The 49ers will not make an effort to re-sign him because they don't see him being a fit for the 3-4 defensive scheme that the club wants to implement.

12:26 p.m.: Cornerback Nate Clements (Bills) and safety Michael Lewis (Eagles) are currently at the 49ers facility in Santa Clara.

http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/default.asp?item=513127

TFL
03-02-2007, 04:48 PM
Has anyone seen any amounts that Nate was asking for or being offered. i have seen nothing but variations of a "whole bunch". Anything actually known on what range he will be in?

I saw somewhere 23 Million garunteed.

kastofsna
03-02-2007, 05:28 PM
um, certainly not 23 million a year.

Maddict5
03-02-2007, 05:47 PM
23 mill garunteed i heard

DallasNiner
03-02-2007, 06:02 PM
yay, at least one of my message boards will be happy today!

Not really, because the server doesn't work. :drunk:

TFL
03-02-2007, 06:20 PM
23 mill garunteed i heard

Yea I think that was it

TFL
03-02-2007, 06:20 PM
um, certainly not 23 million a year.

Yea that would have been Crazy Money.

TexanFan881
03-02-2007, 06:33 PM
CLEMENTS BLOWS OUT THE CURVE

Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that the San Francisco 49ers have signed cornerback Nate Clements.

It's a mind-boggling eight-year, $80 million deal, with $22 million in guaranteed money, and it makes Clements the highest-paid defensive player in NFL history.

A league source tells us that, as a practical matter, it's a six-year deal worth $7.25 million per year.

Clements was expected to be pursued by several teams. But he never got out of San Fran.

Now that he's been giving a ton of money and is gone, how about Nick Harper? I'd like to see him in a Texans uniform and I don't think he'd be too expensive.

texan_b
03-02-2007, 06:40 PM
My god that is a lot of cash... The market is about to get really screwed up

TexanSam
03-02-2007, 06:45 PM
Now that he's been giving a ton of money and is gone, how about Nick Harper? I'd like to see him in a Texans uniform and I don't think he'd be too expensive.

The way the market looks to be shaping, Harper will probably be paid much more than he deserves. The Texans don't have a whole lot of cap room, but even if we did if we overpaid for Clements and Steinback like the Bills and Browns have, I would be PO'ed.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
03-02-2007, 06:46 PM
49ers signed Michael Lewis as well.

They are also close to getting a deal done with NT Aubrayo Franklin.

TwinSisters
03-02-2007, 07:16 PM
all I got to say is...

the 49ers better suck.

2005 we were playing for the #1 draft spot.