PDA

View Full Version : No Plummer for Texans.

jayj0225
03-02-2007, 09:38 AM
Denver Broncos have reached agreement in principle on most of the elements of a trade that will send veteran quarterback Jake Plummer to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
Per ESPN!http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2785459

threetoedpete
03-02-2007, 09:39 AM
ITYS. sit on it and spin.

tulexan
03-02-2007, 09:40 AM
now what do we do?

real
Hmmmm....

I want Carr gone, and I kinda sorta wanted Plummer...But this may be a good thing.

HuttoKarl
YES!!!!!!!

:marionaner: :doot: :marionaner:

stingray
03-02-2007, 09:41 AM
Brady, Brady, Brady!!!!

HuttoKarl
03-02-2007, 09:41 AM
Hmmmm....

I want Carr gone, and I kinda sorta wanted Plummer...But this may be a good thing.
Now when we cut/trade Carr, we can be safe starting Sage or Quinn while Rookie QB learns good habits without spending on a mediocre to crappy scrub QB.

Meloy
03-02-2007, 09:42 AM
now what do we do?
Celibrate. You should not get rid of any player unless you have a significantly better player to replace with.

TEXANRED
now what do we do?

All the way with Tim Ratay!

Mr. White
Looks like Tim Rattay and Drew Bledsoe are the top FA's at QB now.

TEXANRED
03-02-2007, 09:43 AM
Brady, Brady, Brady!!!!

No, No, No!!!!

Errant Hothy
03-02-2007, 09:43 AM
If the cost is a fourth round pick I think we should have made this deal...maybe...are we going to draft a QB this year?

dirty steve
03-02-2007, 09:44 AM
Hmmmm....

so in your scenario, that leaves the Texans with...(sage rosenfels doesnt count).

stingray
No, No, No!!!!

Yes, Yes, Yes....

texans83
Well itleast we wont be known as denvers JV now.

TEXANRED
If the cost is a fourth round pick I think we should have made this deal...maybe...are we going to draft a QB this year?

Is there one worth drafting?

Mr. White
03-02-2007, 09:45 AM
ITYS. sit on it and spin.

Kinda funny how people that call other people out for man love feel so strongly themselves.....

TEXANRED
Yes, Yes, Yes....

No, No, No....

texans83
Is there one worth drafting?

I think they will still draft one. Not sure who but they will draft one.

HuttoKarl
so in your scenario, that leaves the Texans with...(sage rosenfels doesnt count).

Sage, Quinn Porter, Rookie QB (Stanford Boy or BYU Man or Boise State Guy???)

tulexan

Or we could be planning on trading multiple draft picks to the Browns or Lions now and can't afford to give one up for Jake Plummer.

texanskan
03-02-2007, 09:46 AM
lol, all the folks who had that bum the snake on our roster what are ya'll thinking now?

marv800
03-02-2007, 09:47 AM
Great.. now were screwed. Time to talk to Bledsoe and Harrington. What is Andrew Walter's status?

threetoedpete
03-02-2007, 09:48 AM
Now when we cut/trade Carr, we can be safe starting Sage or Quinn while Rookie QB learns good habits without spending on a mediocre to crappy scrub QB.

That's what I'm thinking now. That's why they're clearing the decks of cap and setting up to eat DC's money. We take it in the short hairs in '07 and ...yet again, wait on rebuilding the o-line in the '08 off season. Quinn isn't a bad prospect. He just isn't all day.

Errant Hothy
Or we could be planning on trading multiple draft picks to the Browns or Lions now and can't afford to give one up for Jake Plummer.

Yeah cause this team is in such a great position to trade up.

texans83
Great.. now were screwed. Time to talk to Bledsoe and Harrington. What is Andrew Walter's status?

were not screwed... we cant afford plummer.

David's Busted Carr
OK, so if Plummer is worth a 4th round pick, then what is Carr worth? A 5th? 6th?

UGH...

marv800
03-02-2007, 09:49 AM
were not screwed... we cant afford plummer.

We can't afford NOT to get Plummer.

Mr. White
lol, all the folks who had that bum the snake on our roster what are ya'll thinking now?

Nobody really had the guy on the roster. The word here is hoped the guy would be on our roster.

Hell, at this point, I'd rather bring Kordell Stewart back in the league and let him compete for the job.

texans83
OK, so if Plummer is worth a 4th round pick, then what is Carr worth? A 5th? 6th?

UGH...

prob, I think DR screwed us by going national. Now teams know we have to get rid of Carr and that we are willing to take anything

Porky
03-02-2007, 09:51 AM
:cry2: :crying:

At least this leaves us with the brilliant Carr.

:gun:

texans83
We can't afford NOT to get Plummer.

why do you say that. I would rather have TG, I know he is not mobile enought but the man is a hell of a QB

texans83
:cry2: :crying:

:gun:

lol oh man its ok, this is something we should be used too.

Texans Front Row Crew
03-02-2007, 09:53 AM
This is not a good thing. Carr can't get the job done. Plummer would/could have been a good fit due to the prior experience with Kubes.

Is it too early for happy hour ? :drunk:

texans83
03-02-2007, 09:55 AM
This is not a good thing. Carr can get the job done. Plummer would/could have been a good fit due to the prior experience with Kubes.

its 5 o'clock somewhere:drunk: :drunk:

TEXANRED
03-02-2007, 09:55 AM
This is not a good thing. Carr can get the job done. Plummer would/could have been a good fit due to the prior experience with Kubes.

Its never to early for happy hour, especialy when its friday.

Hulk75
03-02-2007, 09:57 AM
Like I said last month. Who said Plummer even wanted to come here. It should have been a slam dunk, I mean John McClain was so sure and so were the rest. Sorry I just think it is funny, I heard he did not want to come here for months now, so his agent David Dunn was not even dealing with Houston.

El Amigo Invisible
03-02-2007, 09:57 AM
now what do we do?

We stick with CARR . That's why we did not draft Vince

Texans Front Row Crew
03-02-2007, 09:59 AM
its 5 o'clock somewhere:drunk: :drunk:

It's almost 5PM in Amsterdam.

And Mike Vick is already there!!! :bigboss:

marv800
03-02-2007, 10:00 AM
We stick with CARR . That's why we did not draft Vince

Ahh yes... resigning one's self to mediocrity is always a good strategy for continued failure.

HuttoKarl
03-02-2007, 10:01 AM
That's what I'm thinking now. That's why they're clearing the decks of cap and setting up to eat DC's money. We take it in the short hairs in '07 and ...yet again, wait on rebuilding the o-line in the '08 off season. Quinn isn't a bad prospect. He just isn't all day.

I'd rather get one of the QB's from BYU, BoiseSt., or Stanford later in the draft. Use those early picks on a RB (Lynch?) FS (Landry!!!) or DT/DE.

real
03-02-2007, 10:03 AM

I'm not worried about who we decide to start at QB...

I just think that it could be a good thing because Jake went to a team that wasn't really in the mix for Carr as far as I could tell....That means that teams like the Browns who were interested in Plummer and Carr are pretty much down to just Carr...

If he had gone to a team with serious interest in Carr it would have taken a team off the market...

Now there's one less QB to compete with, but still the same amount of suitors...

2BCF
03-02-2007, 10:04 AM

LMAO...since when??? Schuab is still out there tho.

marv800
03-02-2007, 10:04 AM

I just think that it could be a good thing because Jake went to a team that wasn't really in the mix for Carr as far as I could tell....That means that teams like the Browns who were interested in Plummer and Carr are pretty much down to just Carr...

If he had gone to a team with serious interest in Carr it would have taken a team off the market...

Now there's one less QB to compete with, but still the same amount of suitors...

Maybe we could acquire the Brown's entire defense? Nah.. wait for them to go to Denver before we pick em up.

Long Baller
03-02-2007, 10:05 AM
Rattay would top my list based on who is available if Carr is really going. He has had some success when healthy and would be a decent short term option if we are grooming a rookie.

Exithios
03-02-2007, 10:05 AM

Aaron Brooks is looking for a job, anyone have McNairs phone number handy? :hide:

HuttoKarl
03-02-2007, 10:06 AM
Rattay would top my list based on who is available if Carr is really going. He has had some success when healthy and would be a decent short term option if we are grooming a rookie.

Come on...why spend anything on a FA QB when we can just have Sage start for us on the cheap?

2BCF
03-02-2007, 10:08 AM
Aaron Brooks is looking for a job, anyone have McNairs phone number handy? :hide:

That doesn't cut the cuteness factor with McNair, plus Brooks sucks.

HuttoKarl
03-02-2007, 10:11 AM
That doesn't cut the cuteness factor with McNair, plus Brooks sucks.

counting down until someone states that Brooks took a team to the playoffs....

4, 3, 2,...

Reddevil63
03-02-2007, 10:12 AM
Everybody had pretty much penciled Jeff Garcia in to the Bucs, so he is still available I guess

Yankee_In_TX
03-02-2007, 10:18 AM
Iíve been saying it since November. I wish I had made an ďI told you so threadĒ to pull up in the summer  Carr will be back. I can only hope we draft a QB. Given our lack of extra draft picks, free money, and gaping holes on our roster, Carr is our best option.

Or do what? Spend money we donít have or give up draft picks we desperately need to get a good QB who will be constantly sacked b/c of no protection or running game?

Or do what? Spend money we donít have or give up draft picks we desperately need to another mediocre QB? Why bother?

texans83
03-02-2007, 10:20 AM
they will prob keep Carr and draft Quinn.

threetoedpete
03-02-2007, 10:20 AM
Kinda funny how people that call other people out for man love feel so strongly themselves.....

Hey look me up...the only guy I've had man love for is Levi Brown. These are my first positive Quinn posts this seaon I believe. I can't figgure out what they're doing . Quinn fits.

Capster67
03-02-2007, 10:21 AM
I think we keep Carr and let him and Sage compete for starting job. Draft a rookie (Kolb) and develop him.

2BCF
03-02-2007, 10:24 AM

Great! We'll be the first NFL team with its own Boy Band.

Seriously though, keeping Carr is not an option.

threetoedpete
03-02-2007, 10:25 AM

Nope I think they cut DC out right to save a little on the contract. Sage starts the first four then they bring in Quinn. Not a done deal yet. Foir all we know the may love CJ. Lot easier being an Einstien QB guru though when you have an Elway to instruck. That's all I know for sure. DC may be beyond Kubes' ablity to repair him. Fits, they won't get anything of value for DC. Everyone knows that all they have to do is wait untill he hits the waiver wire if they want him.

HuttoKarl
03-02-2007, 10:26 AM
I think criticisms of Quinn are unfounded. His TEAM couldn't win the big game, but the kid can pass, read defenses and move the football. Of course, he can't play defense, so his value takes a hit... :winky:

I can think of worse things than Quinn in a Texans uniform.

texas mopar
03-02-2007, 10:27 AM
I think we keep Carr and let him and Sage compete for starting job. Draft a rookie (Kolb) and develop him.

I agree and lets build the rest of the team!!:shades:

NATHANHALE
03-02-2007, 10:27 AM
Like I said last month. Who said Plummer even wanted to come here. It should have been a slam dunk, I mean John McClain was so sure and so were the rest. Sorry I just think it is funny, I heard he did not want to come here for months now, so his agent David Dunn was not even dealing with Houston.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NATHANHALE
"If you're a quarterback out there in America, we'll be looking into yours, as well," Gruden said. "We've got to find a guy who can dominate, not a guy who can run a game or help us score here or there."

"We've got to find a guy in Tampa, Florida, who can dominate the NFL and be a superstar quarterback, and that gives us a chance to be where we want to be. Until we do, we're going to be looking."

...sorry, better scratch TB off Carr's list. In another article, Gruden says he has the big bucks for a proven winner...

"...not a guy who can run a game or help us score here or there."

And, to think, Simms has started less than 20 games!!!!!!!!!!

"Let me just say from what I hear, that yours and Grudens thoughts on Carr are day and night.

Too funny." Hulk75

texans83
03-02-2007, 10:28 AM
I agree and lets build the rest of the team!!:shades:

Honestly why the hell Kolb??????? I do not understand. Besides the fact that you guys think since he plaed for houston he will be another VY.

HuttoKarl
03-02-2007, 10:29 AM
Honestly why the hell Kolb??????? I do not understand. Besides the fact that you guys think since he plaed for houston he will be another VY.

I don't get all the pro-Kolb stuff either. People talking about taking him in the second? Gross.

Chance_C
03-02-2007, 10:29 AM
Hey Vinny, give me your opinion of Brady Quinn if you don't mind....Thanks.

dantem
03-02-2007, 10:30 AM
Celibrate. You should not get rid of any player unless you have a significantly better player to replace with.

Amen!!!

Errant Hothy
03-02-2007, 10:30 AM
I don't get all the pro-Kolb stuff either. People talking about taking him in the second? Gross.

But...But...But...He's a local kid, and it seems that sometimes that's all that matters.

Yankee_In_TX
03-02-2007, 10:32 AM
we gear up for 08? 2007 may be the year of the same ol' QB.

We take care of our needs (RB, CB, OL), get a QB late and either pray we can

a) play around Carr and hit 500
or
b) the rookie QB turns out to be a sleeper and ends up starting

:) My $.02

Khari
03-02-2007, 10:33 AM
:lightning:

HuttoKarl
03-02-2007, 10:34 AM
But...But...But...He's a local kid, and it seems that sometimes that's all that matters.

I tried to do an all-Texas born/raised mock draft. I took Kolb in the third. I didn't like the mock at all though. I know that Texas is a hotbed for studly footballers, but for any of us to think that would be a great reason to take someone is pretty silly.

Kolb may likely go in the third, but there are QB's that grade out just as well in this draft that could go in the 4th or so and do the same thing.

texas mopar
03-02-2007, 10:35 AM

We have for to many holes on this team to be focusing all our effort on one position, Lets build the rest of the team!!!!!!:shades:

SESupergenius
Just face it, at this point Carr is the starting QB. There isn't a QB in FA or the draft that is better. Hey here's an idea, go get an offensive line since we can't upgrade the QB. Call me crazy.

2BCF
[QUOTE=Yankee_In_TX;610921]We take care of our needs (RB, CB, OL), get a QB late and either pray we can

a) play around Carr and hit 500

yeah, we got it already. Carr's your guy.

Yankee_In_TX
03-02-2007, 10:37 AM
yeah, we got it already. Carr's your guy.

No, I think Carr stinks. But he'll be here come fall. I also don't see an option that gives us the best chance to win with another QB given our other issues.

Mr teX
03-02-2007, 10:38 AM
Well yet another hit the "oust Carr" party takes & its a big blow too. This is going to be fun watching you guys squirm like 2 year olds in hopes that DC will be gone from here.:dance2:

butOn the serious side of things, there's still hope for you guys that the Vikes may look into a trade for Carr, & Jeff Garcia is still out there so you don't have to drink that bottle of cyanide just yet.

There's also this thing called.................................. the draft i heard you can get a QB there as well.

marv800
03-02-2007, 10:38 AM
Just face it, at this point Carr is the starting QB. There isn't a QB in FA or the draft that is better. Hey here's an idea, go get an offensive line since we can't upgrade the QB. Call me crazy.

Are you on crack?!?!?! Garcia is easily better than Carr (plus his wife is hot as hell) and Bledsoe has been to the big game.

TEXANS84
03-02-2007, 10:39 AM
No, I think Carr stinks. But he'll be here come fall. I also don't see an option that gives us the best chance to win with another QB given our other issues.

If Carr comes back, expect worse than 6-10 record. From previous days comments, I don't believe anyone wants to play with him.

2BCF
03-02-2007, 10:40 AM

Thanks, needed a good laugh this morning!

Actually there's only a couple that are worse than Davey.

Yankee_In_TX
03-02-2007, 10:40 AM
Are you on crack?!?!?! Garcia is easily better than Carr (plus his wife is hot as hell) and Bledsoe has been to the big game.

There's much better out there. BUT, Carr's salary, the FA's salary, giving away draft picks, etc. After all that, we have a QB better than Carr who gets pounded because he has no protection or running game and our secondary is getting burned. We can fix maybe 1 of those 3 after the cost of getting a QB better than Carr.

NATHANHALE
03-02-2007, 10:41 AM
counting down until someone states that Brooks took a team to the playoffs....

4, 3, 2,...

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/133233

Brooks has got some nice numbers-yds,tds,etc.-over a 5 yr period as a starter he threw 111tds to Carr's 56 (almost twice as many) and avg over 3500yds...

What exactly is the 'knock' on him?

Yankee_In_TX
03-02-2007, 10:42 AM
There's much better out there. BUT, Carr's salary, the FA's salary, giving away draft picks, etc. After all that, we have a QB better than Carr who gets pounded because he has no protection or running game and our secondary is getting burned. We can fix maybe 1 of those 3 after the cost of getting a QB better than Carr.

WHY we signed the 3 year extension I'll never know :(

Mr teX
03-02-2007, 10:42 AM

Brooks has got some nice numbers-yds,tds,etc.-over a 5 yr period as a starter he threw 111tds to Carr's 56 (almost twice as many) and avg over 3500yds...

Did you see him at all last year?

texans83
03-02-2007, 10:43 AM

Im not sure about this but has he been able to win the big games

dirty steve
03-02-2007, 10:43 AM

i think the game brooks had against us in December should tell you all you need to know. 238 yards, 2 int's, sacked 5 times. sounds like somebody else we already have here.

Errant Hothy
03-02-2007, 10:44 AM

Bledsoe would get killed behind this line, and I don't mean that figurativly. He would literally die on the Reliant feild.

Texian
03-02-2007, 10:45 AM
Thank You Tampa.

If the Texans are going to make a change at QB say hello to our new friend, Matt Schaub. He has been getting ready for 3 years in a very similar system to Kubiak's. The Texans will have to swap #8 for #10 and next years #1. If they are lucky they may get away with this years 2nd RD. I have been saying for months if they were going to make a change at QB this was their best option.

tulexan
03-02-2007, 10:47 AM
No way I give up a first round pick next year, especially if we don't take a running back this year. If we don't get Peterson or Lynch this year, keeping our first round pick next year is absolutely essential.

2BCF
03-02-2007, 10:49 AM
Thank You Tampa.

If the Texans are going to make a change at QB say hello to our new friend, Matt Schaub. He has been getting ready for 3 years in a very similar system to Kubiak's. The Texans will have to swap #8 for #10 and next years #1. If they are lucky they may get away with this years 2nd RD. I have been saying for months if they were going to make a change at QB this was their best option.

I've always liked Schuab more than JP. Make it happen.

Chance_C
03-02-2007, 10:50 AM
Game manager type...not elite. Seems to have more fire and more heart than Carr when it comes to playing with some anger and some passion, but I wouldn't spend top 5 money on him so I don't think he will go off the board till around pick 10 or so....Rothlisburger was a better prospect and he fell to this area.

Thanks. I have a feeling he could be our pick. Strictly because of the division that looks like is taking place because of the apparent lack of trust in DC by his teammates. I haven't watched him play much and I don't know how I'd feel with him as our pick. I would love to be in the position for Levi
Brown (assuming he's not to big of a reach at 8), but I don't know if this city and team can take another year of Carr.

texas mopar
03-02-2007, 10:51 AM
Thank You Tampa.

Sounds like alot to give up!!!:winky:

dirty steve
03-02-2007, 10:53 AM
I would love to be in the position for Levi
Brown (assuming he's not to big of a reach at 8), but I don't know if this city and team can take another year of Carr.
i agree. other than "there's nothing better out there," what reason would you really have to bring him back? i am on board with levi brown, quinn might take a little more coaxing.

OrangeCountyTexansFan
03-02-2007, 10:54 AM
Looks like Tim Rattay and Drew Bledsoe are the top FA's at QB now.
Drew Bledsoe would be a step backward, IMO. I hope to God that is not even a consideration by the front office.

HuttoKarl
03-02-2007, 10:55 AM
Calling you crazy is the easy part. Drafting "a line" is the hard part. "With the 8th pick of the NFL draft the Houston Texans select the offensive line from the Notre Dame Fighting Irish."

I'd settle for drafting a Tackle and a Center though....we do need both.

Marshawn Lynch
Joe Staley
Samson Satele

????

Could fix the running game and the line in three rounds.

It'd mean we'd have to find a DT in FA though.

2BCF
03-02-2007, 10:56 AM
Drew Bledsoe would be a step backward, IMO. I hope to God that is not even a consideration by the front office.

Bledsoe would be mighty good for the first qtr or so of the 1st game, then he'd be in rehab for the rest of the season.

Kaiser Toro
03-02-2007, 10:58 AM
Get ready Sage as we need you to be prepared to give us Carr like numbers and leadership for 1/7th of the cost while you help develop the young QB we will draft later in the mid rounds.

Having a back up on the roster that makes 7 million a year is a pariah and has no trade value. The three million doillars that we will recoup by releasing Carr would be the most value that we will have gained from that contract in six years.

HuttoKarl
03-02-2007, 10:59 AM
Get ready Sage as we need you to be prepared to give us Carr like numbers and leadership for 1/7th of the cost while you help develop the young QB we will draft later in the mid rounds.

Having a back up on the roster that makes 7 million a year is a pariah and has no trade value. The three million doillars that we will recoup by releasing Carr would be the most value that we will have gained from that contract in six years.

To quote the brilliant Maury Finkelstein:

"Do it. DO IT!!!"

SESupergenius
Calling you crazy is the easy part. Drafting "a line" is the hard part. "With the 8th pick of the NFL draft the Houston Texans select the offensive line from the Notre Dame Fighting Irish."

I'd settle for drafting a Tackle and a Center though....we do need both.

Man you are in a pissy mood today. Don't cry, Carr will eventually be replaced.

You don't necessarily draft a while line with 1 pick. You could spread it out a little and draft well, other teams can do it, we can too. Oh and hey, we might actually land a quality lineman in Free Agency, what a novel idea. But hey, if you still think Pitts is the man the have at it.

TEXANRED

Just say no to Quinn.

Thank you.

Nawzer
03-02-2007, 11:00 AM
This move all but guarantees that the Texans will select a qb pretty high in the draft. I don't know whether that means Kolb, Stanton, Troy Smith or whoever. I wasn't on the Plummer bandwagon and I want to know what the Bucs gave up for Plummer. Seems like they have a surplus of qbs there in Tampa.

TEXANRED
03-02-2007, 11:02 AM
Thank You Tampa.

Vinny is reporting Schaub is in works to get traded to Detroit for Detroits #2 pick.

TheOgre
03-02-2007, 11:05 AM
The ONLY way I can stomach having Carr back as our starter next year is if we have a 1st day selection rookie waiting in the wings.

marv800
03-02-2007, 11:09 AM
Vinny is reporting Schaub is in works to get traded to Detroit for Detroits #2 pick.

Well that could mean that they might release Jon Kitna!!!! WooWHOO!!! Kitna in the Texans offense could prove to be magical indeed. Kitna has always been untapped potential.

Nawzer
03-02-2007, 11:10 AM
From the ESPN article it seems like the Bucs parted with a 4th round pick for Plummer and if the Texans aren't even willing to do that it shows you that the FO clearly placed more importance on drafting well. Which is not a bad thing, I think for us to be in the cap situation that we are in it's important that we draft well and build within rather than bringing high priced veterans who may or may not pan out.

HuttoKarl
03-02-2007, 11:13 AM
Well that could mean that they might release Jon Kitna!!!! WooWHOO!!! Kitna in the Texans offense could prove to be magical indeed. Kitna has always been untapped potential.

Detroit would be stupid to do that. The pick for Schaub straight up?

Detroit could get Calvin Johnson to pair with Roy. That's amazing stuff.

DomDavis
03-02-2007, 11:31 AM
As a FYI, this deal is off, as Plummer says he is retiring.

qtab
03-02-2007, 11:51 AM
Mods, delete if this has been posted, I hadn't seen it yet.

If this goes down...do we end up with someone like Trent Green?

ESPN.com has learned that the Denver Broncos have reached agreement in principle on most of the elements of a trade that will send veteran quarterback Jake Plummer to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Under the terms being discussed, the Broncos would receive a middle-round draft choice, believed to be a fourth-rounder, in exchange for Plummer. The trade could be announced as early as Friday.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2785459

powerfuldragon
03-02-2007, 11:52 AM
but plummer retired?

Ole Miss Texan
03-02-2007, 11:54 AM
but plummer retired?

apparently he didn't want to play for the bucs.

I'll bet he announces he's coming out of retirement on his visit to houston

Silver Oak

So many people on this MB hate that idea, which is the exact correct approach. rep your way...

texan1976
Good. I really don't want Plummer on the team. I don't want a has been on the team that would not be an upgrade at the QB position. No he did not officially retire and apparently he won't now.

TEXANRED
03-02-2007, 11:55 AM
rather than bringing high priced veterans who may or may not pan out.

When have the Texans ever done something like that?

TEXANRED
03-02-2007, 11:57 AM
Detroit could get Calvin Johnson to pair with Roy. That's amazing stuff.

Are you kidding? If Matt Millan takes another receiver in the first round he is liable to get Lynched.

Scottyboy
03-02-2007, 12:00 PM
Smells Fishy!!

HuttoKarl
03-02-2007, 12:02 PM
Are you kidding? If Matt Millan takes another receiver in the first round he is liable to get Lynched.

No way. If they can come up with an O-Line and a RB (which they just did via the denver trade) Fans would love to see Williams and Calvin stretch the field. It'd be Martz's wet dream.

SuperMario
03-02-2007, 12:09 PM
Plummer to retire:

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/DEN/10033012

keyfro
03-02-2007, 12:10 PM
well i guess that ends all the jake plummer to houston talk

TexansFanatic
03-02-2007, 12:13 PM
Plummer to retire:

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/DEN/10033012

Can you retire to kill a deal and then unretire after you've been released? What if Plummer wanted to play for Houston so bad he'd do something like that? Is it possible?

aj.
well i guess that ends all the jake plummer to houston talk

Probably a legal manuver to get around going to Tampa. Now he can come out of retirement (legally) as a free agent and go anywhere and be reunited with anyone he wants.

bckey
Probably a legal manuver to get around going to Tampa. Now he can come out of retirement (legally) as a free agent and go anywhere and be reunited with anyone he wants.

Agreed.

powerfuldragon
03-02-2007, 12:14 PM

Rofl. very nicely done.

tulexan
03-02-2007, 12:16 PM
How long would he have to stay retired before he can return to anyone?

keyfro
03-02-2007, 12:17 PM
i don't think that's the way it works because if he comes out of retirement then the broncos still have rights to him since he's still undercontract

Exithios
03-02-2007, 12:18 PM
i don't think that's the way it works because if he comes out of retirement then the broncos still have rights to him since he's still undercontract

That makes me feel a little better, I was actually cringeing over the idea of him coming out of retirement just to crawl into bed with Kube's.

Double Barrel
03-02-2007, 12:19 PM
i think the game brooks had against us in December should tell you all you need to know. 238 yards, 2 int's, sacked 5 times. sounds like somebody else we already have here.

Close: 7/14 for 32 yards, 3 fumbles, 4 sacks, and total net yardage of -5 yards.

Aaron Brook a Texan = :gun:

NATHANHALE
03-02-2007, 01:05 PM

Did you see him at all last year?

Yea, he was on a new team with a new coach with WR's with 'attitudes'...playing hurt and only played in 8 games. Did you look at the 5 yrs before that where he avg over 3500yds and 20 tds/yr?

Carr has done nothing in his 5yrs and you are judging Brooks on 8 games!!!...gotta love it!

NATHANHALE
03-02-2007, 01:10 PM

...you mean the game where Carr had -5 net yds passing/3 fumbles(lost 2)/ and 4 sacks?...that game?

tulexan
03-02-2007, 01:13 PM
POSTED 2:10 p.m. EST, March 2, 2007

PLUMMER RETIREMENT A PLOY?

There's talk/speculation/ in league circles that Broncos quarterback Jake Plummer is using the retirement card as a ploy to get traded to Houston.

Though there was a report a week ago out of Denver that Plummer could pack it in, there was no hard evidence that he might quit until after news broke that Plummer would be traded to the Bucs for a fourth-round pick.

If Plummer retires, he'd potentially owe the team the portion of any signing bonus that applies to the three remaining years of his contract. And the Broncos have a history of playing hardball in matters of this nature -- just ask Dale Carter, Daryl Gardener, Eddie Kennison, and Ashley Lelie.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

Second Honeymoon
03-02-2007, 02:26 PM
Plummer IS NOT retired. He has not filed any paperwork nor is he legally bound to retire. He merely threatened to retire if he was traded to Tampa Bay. He could have still been traded as he has no 'no-trade clause' but the Bucs backed out after they got word that Plummer was not interested. Plummer could be a Texan as early as this evening and for less than a 4th round pick for sure.

My personal dream scenario: Plummer arrives in Houston, Carr is traded/cut, Quinn falls to #8 and we select him.

That would give us immediate improvement at the QB position next year with Plummer and would allow us to already be grooming a top-notch QB prospect under him. With a potential signing of A.Green we could be a legitimate playoff contender next year if things fall in place (OL/DL continue to mature, good draft, and a good FA safety)

aj.
03-02-2007, 04:40 PM

Yeah ...from what I'm hearing now, he would have to wait three years before he could legally emerge as a free agent and he'll really be retired by then.

That still doesn't prevent a different trade proposal I guess but Denver would still need to net a 4th round pick from someone to get it done. It's pretty obvious Plummer doesn't want to go to TB.

El Amigo Invisible
03-02-2007, 05:37 PM
Great! We'll be the first NFL team with its own Boy Band.

Seriously though, keeping Carr is not an option.

AWESOME! HA HA HA HA !! That made my day.

ChrisG
03-02-2007, 10:06 PM

we will be screwed if we get Bledsoe, he couldn't even stand dallas' line, with ours he won't be any better

Cruuuuuuuz
03-03-2007, 02:19 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-broncos-plummer&prov=ap&type=lgns

Looks like Smith couldnt get the deal done and we are stuck with Carr for another season...I say.. lets signs Garcia! He looked pretty damn good for Philly... He'll bring some REAL veteran leadership and some WINS....
9-7! Isnt that what what we all want?

Aztequila
03-03-2007, 02:35 AM
Why not sign Bledsoe or Warner too? Come on, Garcia, who I like for the simple fact we share a common surname, is not the answer to the texans problems at QB. We need to square up the whole team to the point where the QB doesn't have to win games by himself. Until the O-line, Backfield and Defense get to a point where they are decent, not necessarily great, then our QB, no matter who he is, will have a shot. I'm not just saying this because I am a Carr supporter. I really believe that games are won on the shoulders of more than just one person.

TexanExile
03-03-2007, 07:27 AM
Interesting Elias stat (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=2786439) on Plummer's precipitous '06 performance drop posted this morning at ESPN.com:

Plummer's passer rating dropped from 90.2 in 2005 to 68.8 in 2006. In the last 30 years, four other quarterbacks had a rating of 90 or higher in one season and then a rating under 70 the following season (minimum: 200 passes each year):

Brian Sipe, Browns: 1980: 91.4 1981: 68.2
Tony Eason, Patriots: 1984: 93.4 1985: 67.5
Warren Moon, Vikings: 1995:91.5 1986: 68.7
Kurt Warner, Rams: 2001: 101.4 2002: 67.4

5 guys in 30 years. Er, elite company.

TwinSisters
03-03-2007, 07:55 AM
Interesting Elias stat (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=2786439) on Plummer's precipitous '06 performance drop posted this morning at ESPN.com:

Plummer's passer rating dropped from 90.2 in 2005 to 68.8 in 2006. In the last 30 years, four other quarterbacks had a rating of 90 or higher in one season and then a rating under 70 the following season (minimum: 200 passes each year):

Brian Sipe, Browns: 1980: 91.4 1981: 68.2
Tony Eason, Patriots: 1984: 93.4 1985: 67.5
Warren Moon, Vikings: 1995:91.5 1986: 68.7
Kurt Warner, Rams: 2001: 101.4 2002: 67.4

5 guys in 30 years. Er, elite company.

they made a mistake.

Warren Moon 1995 to 1986 is almost ten years

if they meant 1996, he was hurt midseason.
The same with Warner and Eason.

Sipe is the only one that played a near complete season.

TexanFan881
03-03-2007, 12:22 PM
BRONCOS ANNOUNCE TRADE OF PLUMMER TO TAMPA

In a move that can only be described as bizarre, the press release announcing the acquisition of defensive tackle Dan Wilkinson by the Broncos also states that quarterback Jake Plummer has been traded to Tampa for a conditional pick in the 2008 draft.

The release, which was forwarded to us by Adam Caplan of Scout.com, says: "The Denver Broncos on Saturday traded quarterback Jake Plummer to Tampa Bay in exchange for a conditional selection in the 2008 NFL Draft, Head Coach Mike Shanahan announced. Denver also acquired defensive tackle Dan Wilkinson from Miami in exchange for the Broncos' own sixth round pick (24th in round) in the 2007 NFL Draft."

Apparently, the Bucs have opted to squat on Plummer's rights. If he truly retires, the Broncos would likely get nothing. If Plummer decides not to quit, then the Broncos get a pick in 2008 based on, potentially, Plummer's playing time or performance.

So, as a practical matter, the Bucs now have Plummer, Jeff Garcia, and Chris Simms under contract.

And if Plummer follows through on his apparent plan to retire, the Bucs will have the ability to recoup the remainder of any unallocated signing bonus money from Plummer, even though Tampa didn't pay out the bonus.

?????????????????????????????