PDA

View Full Version : Lelie to visit on Friday (well Saturday)..err signs w/SF

ArlingtonTexan
03-02-2007, 12:16 AM
per profootballtalk.com

LELIE IN DEMAND

One of the first free agents to hit the road will be receiver Ashley Lelie. Per a league source, Lelie will visit the Texans on Friday and the Vikings on Monday.

Lelie was a first-round selection of the Broncos in 2002. He was traded to the Falcons last year.

His best season came in 2004, when he had 54 receptions for 1,084 yards and seven touchdowns.

valleytexfan
03-02-2007, 12:17 AM
just saw that...interesting

ThaShark316
03-02-2007, 12:17 AM
Nooooo!!!!!!

Carr Bombed
03-02-2007, 12:18 AM
I have a funny feeling we are going to land this bronco, uh I mean player.

The Moulds release is starting to become alot clearer.

ThaShark316
03-02-2007, 12:19 AM
Well..he IS fast...and a bronco...err um, free agent. :winky:

Vinny
03-02-2007, 12:19 AM
good lord Lelie sucks...oye

Will someone please tell Kubiak and Sherman that we don't have to sign all the second hand Packers and Broncos?

ThaShark316
03-02-2007, 12:25 AM
Ted Ginn before Ginn = Lelie...no hands, bad route runner and a straight up....

http://www.stellenboschwriters.com/thomas.jpg

^^^im sure some of you understood that.

ArlingtonTexan
03-02-2007, 12:29 AM

Will someone please tell Kubiak and Sherman that we don't have to sign all the second hand Packers and Broncos?

I haven't come across the Ahman Green visit yet.

infantrycak
03-02-2007, 12:30 AM
Well I am going to disagree on the anti-Lelie sentiment (with a big caveat on price--only if cheap)--one way to clear coverage off AJ is to have a true deep threat on the opposite side with a QB willing to throw the ball to his 2nd WR.

Marcus
After what happened with Moulds, you gotta wonder what receiver in his right mind would want to play with the this team.

keyfro
i don't like this guy either...let's hope he visits and keeps on going

Vinny
I haven't come across the Ahman Green visit yet.
you bet your backside it's comming. Him and possibly Tony Mandrich.

Vinny
03-02-2007, 12:31 AM
Well I am going to disagree on the anti-Lelie sentiment (with a big caveat on price--only if cheap)--one way to clear coverage off AJ is to have a true deep threat on the opposite side with a QB willing to throw the ball to his 2nd WR.He's another version of Cory Bradford to me.

Reddevil63
03-02-2007, 12:32 AM
After what happened with Moulds, you gotta wonder what receiver in his right mind would want to play with the this team.I think you give NFL players to much credit, you'd be suprised where you would work if you got their paychecks. Now if this were Oakland, that would be a different story :aikido:

infantrycak
03-02-2007, 12:32 AM
He's another version of Cory Bradford to me.

I see the analogy, but he is a much better Bradford--and notice the QB comment as well.

bATXle red
03-02-2007, 12:33 AM
I can't help but remember the Broncos thinking they had a pretty weak recieving core when Lelie was aboard. Javon Walker got signed and Lelie was worried he woudn't start, so he started to complain. the Texans don't need that mess.

Mr. White
03-02-2007, 12:35 AM
After what happened with Moulds, you gotta wonder what receiver in his right mind would want to play with the this team.

The Houston Texans. Where WR2's go to die.

TexanFan881
03-02-2007, 12:38 AM
Lelie is better than Walter is as a #2 WR, if we are looking at someone with speed I'd rather get Curtis, but I guess I wouldn't be that upset if we got Lelie to be our #2, he is still young and might not have reached his full potential yet. I only want to sign him though if it is a reasonable contract, no huge contract for a guy like Lelie.

Vinny
03-02-2007, 01:03 AM
I see the analogy, but he is a much better Bradford--and notice the QB comment as well. Plummer to Leilie next year....Kubiaks second hand Bronco vision is coming together.

Ole Miss Texan
03-02-2007, 01:16 AM
Plummer to Leilie next year....Kubiaks second hand Bronco vision is coming together.

Haha, wouldn't that be something. just think if that trade-rumor had gone through and we got Tatum Bell too.

Plummer play-action to bell, throws a TD to Lelie.

Would Lelie be that bad of an addition? I would hope we'd get him for a decent price, not overspend but is he THAT bad?

Vinny
03-02-2007, 01:18 AM
Haha, wouldn't that be something. just think if that trade-rumor had gone through and we got Tatum Bell too.

Plummer play-action to bell, throws a TD to Lelie.

Would Lelie be that bad of an addition? I would hope we'd get him for a decent price, not overspend but is he THAT bad?I was hoping we start to target some guys that weren't Bronco rejects this year. He complained his way out of Denver after catching around as many passes as Moulds did last year and really stunk it up in Atlanta last year as well.

bATXle red
03-02-2007, 01:37 AM
bring up some of the past on this one:

Broncos | No one bid for Lelie until trade went down
Wed, 23 Aug 2006 18:53:05 -0700
"Adam Schefter, of the NFL Network, reports no teams made an offer to the Denver Broncos for WR Ashley Lelie until they finally were able to unload him in a three-way trade Tuesday evening, Aug. 22. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers debated giving up a fourth-round draft choice to Denver, but never offered it. The Houston Texans, with former Denver offensive coordinator Gary Kubiak in charge, considered dealing a fourth-round draft choice to Denver, but also never offered it."

did they miss out the first time? or did they already think this one through and not pull the trigger the first time for a reason?

Roughnecks
03-02-2007, 01:44 AM
I wouldn't be against it at the right price.

hot pickle
03-02-2007, 02:53 AM
yeah im sure that the texans aint gonna over him that much money, hes not that good, might be a good 3 or 4 guy though, and he is fast and tall, i like that

Malloy
03-02-2007, 03:12 AM

Good point. As a reciever, before signing any contract, I would make sure that the QB thingie would be dealt with. :)

dbspi
03-02-2007, 03:15 AM
Don't forget Ashlee Lelie! He may suck and may not be able to catch a football, but he is an ex-Bronco, so you know Kubes wants to throw money at him.

I guess we haven't learned any lesson by cutting Glen and Sharper. Every team needs leadership and Mould was a good guy to have beside AJ.

This offense is a mess, Crappy O-Line, No RB, Sub Par TE, Horrible WR corps, AJ aside, and a QB that is both hated by the fans and disrespected by his team mates.

And I was thinking the offense would be better in 2007. All hail the Broncos JV squad!

dbspi
03-02-2007, 03:17 AM
It appears that the trend continues; They aren't thinking unless Smith and Kubes have something up their sleeves. I think Kubes maybe wants to go back to making coffee for Mike Shanahan and taking credit for Elway's career.

GP
03-02-2007, 03:19 AM
I am learning how to hate this team all over again.

:wheel:

GP
03-02-2007, 03:27 AM
I know that we're just fans and all.....

...but has the FO ever thought about looking at their own message board (THIS message board) to see the overwhelming disgust that 98% of us feel when we can sense another bad decision is on its way down?

It's like they live in a vacuum or something. They're in their own little NFL world, oblivious to the customer(s) who are saying "THIS is what we have to purchase each year?"

Can't we just trot out Walter as our No. 2 WR and be done with it? Then we could get on with the business of building a killer defense like another poster theorized (Dunta, Hamlin, Landry, DeMeco, Mario, etc.).

This is like the movie "Groundhog Day" except a lot less funnier.

Ashley Lelie! Yee-friggity-haw.

swtbound07
03-02-2007, 04:40 AM
http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/302206

the 2004 ashley lelie wouldn't be half bad to have....ya'll can keep the rest of them

aj.
03-02-2007, 06:37 AM
Just testing my new Texans avatar.

swtbound07
03-02-2007, 06:42 AM

if you put the texans logo on that horse's ass it would be about as apt an avatar as i've ever seen

aj.
03-02-2007, 06:43 AM
I made it less subtle so even our message board dwellers could figure out the symbolism...

TEXANRED
03-02-2007, 07:05 AM
Ashley Would be the closest thing to a #2 we have ever had.

Good size and speed, decent hands. 54 catches over thousand yards and 7 TD's is nothing to complain about.

Kaiser Toro
03-02-2007, 07:06 AM
The Broncoization started with Reeves. This feels like I a am living in an episode of Invasion of the Texan Body Snatchers with the Lil Rascals running the invasion.

aj.
03-02-2007, 07:23 AM
I don't mind using the Broncos business model (better than anything we've had here for a while) or even having some of their old players and coaches here as long as they perform at a high level.

TEXANRED
03-02-2007, 08:23 AM
I don't mind using the Broncos business model (better than anything we've had here for a while) or even having some of their old players and coaches here as long as they perform at a high level.

I would love to have Ashley, just don't pay a #2 WR #1 money.

If it helps some of you, he was a Falcon last year.

Of course we could always play 6 degrees of seperation from anyone associated with the Broncos Organization.

Kaiser Toro
03-02-2007, 08:32 AM

Identity is a foundation of culture. If our identity begins with bringing in retreads you will not get anywhere. Business model I agree with.

Texan Asylum
03-02-2007, 08:33 AM
http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/302206

the 2004 ashley lelie wouldn't be half bad to have....ya'll can keep the rest of them
M-O-O-N, that spells y'all!

Better fix that Ben, or else Cak and Red will be all over ya!

swtbound07
03-02-2007, 08:35 AM
M-O-O-N, that spells y'all!

Better fix that Ben, or else Cak and Red will be all over ya!

When i haven't slept in 4 days, and my ebonics combines with country vernacular, the punctuation sometimes fluctuates. My apologies Y'ALL

threetoedpete
03-02-2007, 08:42 AM

Getting kinda redundant there huh Vinny ?

When is Ahmen due in for a visit ? (didn't mean to step on your post Arlington)

Well either you guys want all day or you don't. Make up your minds. They move up, regardless, holes have to be filled. I 'm sure no one wants to enter the season with Walters as the number two, correct ? Looks like they evaluated and now they're scrambling to get the holes plug. The word Kaos comes to mind. No cap dollars and too many holes to plug in one off season. Did anyone truly expect anything different ? Say howdy to the chesher cat for me there Alice.

swtbound07
03-02-2007, 08:44 AM
Getting kinda redundant there huh Vinny ?

When is Ahmen due in for a visit ?
Well either you guys want all day or you don't. Make up your minds. They move up, regardless, holes have to be filled. I sure no one wants to enter the season with Walters as the number two, correct ?

By my count, there are 29 other franchises in the league that we could poach from that aren't us, Green Bay, or Denver. It would be NICE if we fished in a bigger pond occasionally

texans83
03-02-2007, 08:49 AM
By my count, there are 29 other franchises in the league that we could poach from that aren't us, Green Bay, or Denver. It would be NICE if we fished in a bigger pond occasionally

I agree I dont want the texans to be denvers JV.

TEXANRED
03-02-2007, 09:03 AM
I 'm sure no one wants to enter the season with Walters as the number two, correct ?
I wouldn't mind seeing him start. We picked him up to be a #2 but got side tracked with Moulds.

I would like to see what the kid can do.

Texans_Chick
03-02-2007, 09:18 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing him start. We picked him up to be a #2 but got side tracked with Moulds.

I would like to see what the kid can do.

If the Texans got Lelie, you couldn't really have a competition for the #2 position because of the disgruntlement.

OTOH, Jeb Putzier wasn't handed the job, though I think there were some injuries that came in to play with that. Also Putzier doesn't have a disgruntle rep.

I really wonder how it can effect the team when the ex-Bronco-Packers seem to have an advantage in position battles. That has to be a hard issue to finesse.

HuttoKarl
03-02-2007, 09:20 AM
Lelie had such a great opportunity to catch plenty of passes from the awesome passer Mike Vick.

He had a pretty respectable season his next-to-last in Denver. I wouldn't be opposed to signing him if the price is right and if we don't sign him for some insane amount of years...make him earn his contract.

dirty steve
03-02-2007, 09:24 AM
If the Texans got Lelie, you couldn't really have a competition for the #2 position because of the disgruntlement.

OTOH, Jeb Putzier wasn't handed the job, though I think there were some injuries that came in to play with that. Also Putzier doesn't have a disgruntle rep.

I really wonder how it can effect the team when the ex-Bronco-Packers seem to have an advantage in position battles. That has to be a hard issue to finesse.
but how long did putzier really have the starting job? he never recorded more than 2 catches per game. he isnt really known for his blocking, so you know he isnt a full time guy.

HuttoKarl
03-02-2007, 09:29 AM
Dirty, do you ever get the feeling that we could have anyone coming in for an interview and a whole lot of people here would complain about it?

If we interview DT Michael Myers, is that bad because he played for the Broncs? I hope not, because I think he'd be a nice addition.

keyfro
03-02-2007, 09:47 AM
the only thing about lelie that would be a good thing is this...since he had such a horrible year last year you know there will not be a lot of teams bidding for him...so he should come cheap...meaning less than a mil a year IMO...you can still have competition between him, walter, and mathis if he can ever stay healthy...plus you still draft a WR i think this year on the second day...maybe a guy who is a possession receiver who runs decent rountes who can be developed into a number 2 guy...texans have been linked to auburn's courtney taylor who i think fits that role

dirty steve
03-02-2007, 09:50 AM
Dirty, do you ever get the feeling that we could have anyone coming in for an interview and a whole lot of people here would complain about it?

If we interview DT Michael Myers, is that bad because he played for the Broncs? I hope not, because I think he'd be a nice addition.
sometimes, but i understand where people are coming from. ex-broncos/packers the Texans have employed since kubes has been here:

samkon gado-GB
mike flanagan-GB
jeb putzier-Denver
lional dalton-Denver
roc alexander-Denver
ron dayne-Denver
ephraim salaam-Denver
bradley van pelt-Denver

you could add plummer and lelie to that list also if they sign. the broncos have been one of the most successful franchises over the last 15 years, so i think they are doing something right. people are always going to chirp if you bring in players from your old team(s) and say that the team looks nowhere but those teams. i have no problem with it honestly if the team is improved for it. it's the players and the system that they are most familiar, so i expect more than a keen eye to be placed on those two teams talent.

if i was lelie, i would want to make sure the QB situation is in good hands. lelie wasnt a superstar in Denver, but can stretch the field. he did nothing in Atlanta last year, and while you cant put it all on Vick, you have to take the QB situation into account. he did have his best season with plummer at the helm.

nunusguy
03-02-2007, 09:57 AM

You're halfway there AJ, you just need to modify your avatar to include that
big white "G".

Mr teX
03-02-2007, 10:00 AM
No thanks, I'll pass.

shinerbock_girl
03-02-2007, 10:01 AM
sometimes, but i understand where people are coming from. ex-broncos/packers the Texans have employed since kubes has been here:

samkon gado-GB
mike flanagan-GB
jeb putzier-Denver
lional dalton-Denver
roc alexander-Denver
ron dayne-Denver
ephraim salaam-Denver
bradley van pelt-Denver

you could add plummer and lelie to that list also if they sign. the broncos have been one of the most successful franchises over the last 15 years, so i think they are doing something right. people are always going to chirp if you bring in players from your old team(s) and say that the team looks nowhere but those teams. i have no problem with it honestly if the team is improved for it. it's the players and the system that they are most familiar, so i expect more than a keen eye to be placed on those two teams talent.

if i was lelie, i would want to make sure the QB situation is in good hands. lelie wasnt a superstar in Denver, but can stretch the field. he did nothing in Atlanta last year, and while you cant put it all on Vick, you have to take the QB situation into account. he did have his best season with plummer at the helm.

Personally, i'm tired of it...What has it proven, we doubled our wins from last year??

noxiousdog
03-02-2007, 10:01 AM
I'll go with the dissenters and say Lelie as a #2 at a reasonable price, 3M/yr or less, is a good call. He's young and he can get open downfield.

Of course, it will require a QB that can throw deep.....

Mr teX
03-02-2007, 10:02 AM
I'll go with the dissenters and say Lelie as a #2 at a reasonable price, 3M/yr or less, is a good call. He's young and he can get open downfield.

Of course, it will require a QB that can throw deep.....

& a WR that can catch.....

dirty steve
03-02-2007, 10:05 AM
Personally, i'm tired of it...What has it proven, we doubled our wins from last year??
we tripled them and should have had more. i am not saying that we should sign every player that has GB or Denver on their resume, but it cant hurt that these teams have been so successful.

Porky
03-02-2007, 10:07 AM
I won't be upset at all by signing Lelie as long as the price is right. I'm not at all comfortable with Walter as a legit #2. Granted, he is a better version of Corey Bradford, but that's still better than what we have on the roster now, and he has legit deep speed. Let's remember, he had Vick throwing to him last year. I mean, if he comes here, he'll have a much better QB situation.....

Ummm, on second thought :gun:

Capster67
03-02-2007, 10:10 AM
As someone who lives in Denver, all the anti-Denver player talk is funny. Houston could only hope to get players who are 1 1/2 years removed from the AFC Championship game and 1 year away from 9 wins. Guess Houston isn't ready for personnel that is use to winning.

threetoedpete
03-02-2007, 10:10 AM
I won't be upset at all by signing Lelie as long as the price is right. I'm not at all comfortable with Walter as a legit #2. Granted, he is a better version of Corey Bradford, but that's still better than what we have on the roster now, and he has legit deep speed. Let's remember, he had Vick throwing to him last year. I mean, if he comes here, he'll have a much better QB situation.....

Ummm, on second thought :gun:

lol, going to be a long season for some of us for sure. The next thing down the pike is the round of 13-3 threads due this june.

dirty steve
03-02-2007, 10:11 AM
As someone who lives in Denver, all the anti-Denver player talk is funny. Houston could only hope to get players who are 1 1/2 years removed from the AFC Championship game and 1 year away from 9 wins. Guess Houston isn't ready for personnel that is use to winning.
that's what i am thinking. it's hard to build a foundation of winning if you dont have a few people that have been used to it. i have no problem with looking at the Denver guys.

lelie doesnt wow me, but it would be nice to see what he could do with another burner in AJ next to him.

dirty steve
03-02-2007, 10:15 AM
lol, going to be a long season for some of us for sure. The next thing down the pike is the round of 13-3 threads due this june.
i'd rather read those than the carr threads or the played takes on carr's name. it's so original.
"it's time to take out the Carrbage"
"time for a new Carr"
"time to trade in the broken down Carr"
"how about a 5 year old Carr"

NFLforher
03-02-2007, 10:20 AM
I agree I dont want the texans to be denvers JV.

Houston Broncos.

HuttoKarl
03-02-2007, 10:23 AM
that's what i am thinking. it's hard to build a foundation of winning if you dont have a few people that have been used to it. i have no problem with looking at the Denver guys.

lelie doesnt wow me, but it would be nice to see what he could do with another burner in AJ next to him.

The detractors should be happy we're not looking for a bunch of former Cardinals or Lions. Some people are just born to whine.

dirty steve
03-02-2007, 10:24 AM
The detractors should be happy we're not looking for a bunch of former Cardinals or Lions. Some people are just born to whine.
true that. cant wait to see what they will have to talk about after/if Carr leaves.

threetoedpete
03-02-2007, 10:24 AM

I dunno the guy wasn't on the street for three hours befor we got our first Leonard Davis thread. Just saying there.

Meloy
03-02-2007, 10:26 AM
Ashley Would be the closest thing to a #2 we have ever had.

Good size and speed, decent hands. 54 catches over thousand yards and 7 TD's is nothing to complain about.
If you are quoting stats, would it not be more helpful to use those less than 2 seasons ago? I was real good looking two years ago but time do fly.

HuttoKarl
03-02-2007, 10:27 AM
true that. cant wait to see what they will have to talk about after/if Carr leaves.

They'll complain about Plummer, Sage, Quinn, Brad Johnson or whoever we run out at QB.

David's Busted Carr
03-02-2007, 10:50 AM
Lelie sucks. He couldn't even start on Atlanta... a team that doesn't have a single legit WR on their roster...

HuttoKarl
03-02-2007, 10:53 AM
Lelie sucks. He couldn't even start on Atlanta... a team that doesn't have a single legit WR on their roster...

edited for my own inability to read.

dirty steve
03-02-2007, 10:55 AM
vick kills 1st round WR's, they had three on their roster last year.

gtexan02
03-02-2007, 11:00 AM
I just don't get it. We have Mathis. We have AJ. And now we are looking at Lelie? Why all the speed receivers when we can only throw the ball 4 yards away?

TexanFan881
03-02-2007, 11:02 AM

It's one thing when it's a few players, but it's another thing when the only people we even look at played in Denver. There are good players outside of Denver! :ok:

Long Baller
03-02-2007, 11:13 AM
Nooooo!!!!!!

I have to agree. He can do one thing, run straight down the field. Mathis can do that and probably better.

edo783
03-02-2007, 11:25 AM
Wouldn't be a WR I would pick, but Kubes should sure know him best, so.....

noxiousdog
03-02-2007, 11:31 AM
& a WR that can catch.....

It would be nice if AJ didn't drop passes either, but you can't have everything.

noxiousdog
03-02-2007, 11:31 AM
I have to agree. He can do one thing, run straight down the field. Mathis can do that and probably better.

How many plays was he in on last year?

SESupergenius
03-02-2007, 11:45 AM
I wouldn't like this at all, There are tons of recievers of his type in the draft. We need guys that just get open and catch the rock, speed is secondary. Johnnie Lee Higgins of U.T.E.P. will probably be a 3rd or 4th rounder, he had a bad combine as far as speed, but he does get open and can catch. Guys like this can be had without breaking the bank.

dirty steve
03-02-2007, 11:49 AM
hard to run down the field when you are always in the training room.

RTP2110
03-02-2007, 01:26 PM
I wouldn't like this at all, There are tons of recievers of his type in the draft. We need guys that just get open and catch the rock, speed is secondary. Johnnie Lee Higgins of U.T.E.P. will probably be a 3rd or 4th rounder, he had a bad combine as far as speed, but he does get open and can catch. Guys like this can be had without breaking the bank.

I think Eric Moulds fits your description perfectly.

run-david-run
03-02-2007, 01:38 PM
The Houston Texans. Where WR2's go to die.

Lol, combine that with "The Atlanta Falcons, where WR1's go to die" and Lellie is not having much luck choosing new teams..

TexanSam
03-02-2007, 01:54 PM
I would sign Lelie. He'd probably come relatively cheap as well.

Texans Horror
03-02-2007, 01:57 PM
JMO, but I don't want cheap. I want good.

Long Baller
03-02-2007, 02:00 PM
hard to run down the field when you are always in the training room.

True for 06, but if healthy in 07 IMO they bring the same things to the table and I'd rather take my chances with Mathis rather than a guy that bombed out twice.

ArlingtonTexan
03-02-2007, 05:27 PM
David Delotti of 790 said that Ashley Lelei was NOT at the Texans today.

Clash_Fan3605
03-02-2007, 05:29 PM
David Delotti of 790 said that Ashley Lelei was NOT at the Texans today.

Dang it! We need a WR!

HuttoKarl
03-02-2007, 05:29 PM
I'd like to see us call up Drew Bennett and Kevin Curtis ASAP.

Clash_Fan3605
03-02-2007, 05:32 PM
I'd like to see us call up Drew Bennett and Kevin Curtis ASAP.

Now I would be stoked to see Bennett. Curtis might be a bit too expensive though.

HuttoKarl
03-02-2007, 05:36 PM
Now I would be stoked to see Bennett. Curtis might be a bit too expensive though.

He'd cost more than Bennett, but he's younger, faster and less injured. He'd cost us more but he'd be a better long-term signing.

ArlingtonTexan
03-02-2007, 06:04 PM
He'd cost more than Bennett, but he's younger, faster and less injured. He'd cost us more but he'd be a better long-term signing.

per nfl.com

8/26/78 Bennett
7/17/78 Curtis
2/16/80 Lelei

HuttoKarl
03-02-2007, 08:52 PM
per nfl.com

8/26/78 Bennett
7/17/78 Curtis
2/16/80 Lelei

I stand corrected. He's faster and less injured anyway.

keyfro
03-02-2007, 10:46 PM
maybe lelie is flying in late tonight to sign

thunderkyss
03-02-2007, 11:49 PM
First, off, just because he is coming doesn't mean we'll sign him. I doubt there's much interest in signing him, unless we can get him real cheap..... after what he went through last year, I'd think we could get him for next to nothing.

I like Walter.... but I don't see him as a #2. WE sign Lelie, and we have a #2. A guy that would be able to start on many NFL teams.

Same with Ahman Green.

Same with Plummer & Garcia.

We need starters.... we need them cheap... & you know it.

GuerillaBlack
03-02-2007, 11:51 PM
Lelie would be good for us. Kubiak knows him well (was with him on his only 1,000 yard season).

TwinSisters
03-02-2007, 11:59 PM
Lelie would be good for us. Kubiak knows him well (was with him on his only 1,000 yard season).

that's with Jake Plummer as his QB with only 15 sacks on the season.

Trap_Star
03-03-2007, 12:01 AM
Ashley Lelie = Corey Bradford

dirty steve
03-03-2007, 12:38 AM
lelie and ahman green scheduled to visit saturday.

trap--do you suggest we sign nobody then? name another FA WR we could move on that doesnt have a high price tag or baggage.

bennett- prolly the most accomplished name out there, likely out of the Texans price tag.
stallworth- injury history similar to mathis
kevin curtis- looks more intereste din detroit with martz there.
horn- see eric moulds
bryant- suspension and part time headcase

run-david-run
03-03-2007, 11:36 AM
I think Lelie could work here, if we get a QB who can throw downfield and the necessary protection. With a new QB, any WR2 should be salivating at constant single coverage that playing next to AJ will get you.

ArlingtonTexan
03-03-2007, 11:56 AM
First, off, just because he is coming doesn't mean we'll sign him. I doubt there's much interest in signing him, unless we can get him real cheap..... after what he went through last year, I'd think we could get him for next to nothing.

I like Walter.... but I don't see him as a #2. WE sign Lelie, and we have a #2. A guy that would be able to start on many NFL teams.

Same with Ahman Green.

Same with Plummer & Garcia.

We need starters.... we need them cheap... & you know it.

I think the mediocore at best WR market gets Lelei more attention and money than he would normally warrant. My gut feeling (absolutely no insider info, logic) is that Lelei will sign here. The upset would be in visits the Vikings as scheduled and they promise him a larger role and the obvious more money.

TexanFan881
03-03-2007, 12:10 PM
LELIE CLOSE TO LANDING?

Free-agent receiver Ashley Lelie is expected to sign a contract within the next couple of days, we're told. The frontrunners are the Texans and 49ers, with the Falcons and Vikings a step behind.

Lelie was originally a first-round pick of the Broncos in 2002, and was traded to the Falcons last year after asking out of Denver.

His best season came in 2004, when he hauled in 54 receptions for 1,084 yards and seven touchdowns. Last year, Lelie has 28 receptions for 430 yards and one touchdown as part of the vertically-challenged offense in Atlanta.

Sounds like there's more teams in it than I expected. I'd rather have someone like Kevin Curtis but we don't have that much money so I'd be fine with Lelie.

DRAMA
03-03-2007, 12:10 PM
There are reasons WHY our staff will do what they're going to do.

Lelie is NOT the best WR in the world. What he IS is a guy who averages about 17-18yds per catch and WILL stretch the defense. Moulds could not stretch the defense at all, thus, LB's and Safties all hung around the middle of the field. Andre's YAC is a strong suit of his.

Stretch the D, hit em underneath - cheat underneath? - hit 'em deep. Mix in the run - couple with play-action.

Done.

Football.

Vinny
03-03-2007, 12:11 PM
maybe lelie is flying in late tonight to signI think he was in San Francisco. I think they are looking hard at him and they probably still have more money to spend in FA than we do even with their mammoth signing yesterday.

The Jerm!
03-03-2007, 05:21 PM
I think he was in San Francisco. I think they are looking hard at him and they probably still have more money to spend in FA than we do even with their mammoth signing yesterday.

no no don't jinx us with him. You take him n keep him! :winky: :yes:

Cruuuuuuuz
03-03-2007, 06:31 PM
Here's your solution...trade Carr for Plummer, switch 1st round picks with the Bucs...sign Lelie and draft a RB...Hopefully Peterson...
Thas a way better team than we have now....

Reddevil63
03-03-2007, 06:41 PM
Here's your solution...trade Carr for Plummer, switch 1st round picks with the Bucs...sign Lelie and draft a RB...Hopefully Peterson...
Thas a way better team than we have now....
We would lose a draft pick or two in that scenario, if you want a RB in the first, take Marshawn Lynch at 8

ArlingtonTexan
03-03-2007, 06:47 PM
I think he was in San Francisco. I think they are looking hard at him and they probably still have more money to spend in FA than we do even with their mammoth signing yesterday.

Per John Clayton on ESPN radio Ashley Lelei signs a 2 year contract

edit: with the 49ers

TEXANRED
03-03-2007, 06:48 PM
Per John Clayton on ESPN radio Ashley Lelei signs a 2 year contract.

Us or them?

ArlingtonTexan
03-03-2007, 06:50 PM
Us or them?

49ers...I changed the previous post

GuerillaBlack
03-03-2007, 06:52 PM
I hate the 49ers.

TexanFan881
03-03-2007, 06:52 PM

edit: with the 49ers

I don't know what to think. Is this good or bad? I wanted Lelie but I also wanted someone better. Hopefully now that he is off the board we will target someone like Kevin Curtis.

I guess he's not going to the Rockets game tonight :)

TEXANRED
03-03-2007, 06:53 PM
I still like giving Walter the shot to play #2.

Who knows maybe Mathis can show us something in training camp and push Walter. That would be nice.

TexanFan881
03-03-2007, 06:55 PM
Here is a link:
http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/10033511

He was cheaper than I thought he would be too...

kiwitexansfan
03-03-2007, 06:56 PM
The 49ers replace one troubled WR in Anotonio Bryant with another in Ashley Lelie.

Another guy I am glad the 49ers took off the market for us.

TexanFan881
03-03-2007, 06:56 PM
And maybe something new for us to talk about hopefully:

WHERE'S DONTE'?

Eagles receiver Donte' Stallworth is getting surprisingly little play in the free-agent market.

Though various publications identify various potentially interested teams (such as the 49ers and the Redskins), we're aware of no visits for the former first-rounder, who had a good season with the Eagles after being traded from the Saints.

bluestars87
03-03-2007, 07:04 PM
I hate the 49ers.

Don't hate. Appreciate.

newbiefan
03-03-2007, 07:06 PM
This news actually dissappoints me.....
We couldn't match 2 years 4.3mil?
And it's definitely about the money considering the 49ers arent in any better of a position to win now than us.

ThaShark316
03-03-2007, 07:06 PM
Thank the lord he's not coming here.

bluestars87
03-03-2007, 07:07 PM
And it's definitely about the money considering the 49ers arent in any better of a position to win now than us.

Ahem.

TexanFan881
03-03-2007, 07:08 PM
This news actually dissappoints me.....
We couldn't match 2 years 4.3mil?

I think he saw the chance to be the #1 WR over here and signed there with the chance to make more in the future. He knew if he came here he would be the #2.

bluestars87
no no don't jinx us with him. You take him n keep him! :winky: :yes:

HEY I KNOW YOU!!!!!

keyfro
well can't say i'm that surprised...lelie is a guy who while he intrigues me also frustrates me without being on the team...he's a guy who never lived up to expectations...and seems to be more of a whiner than a winner

The Jerm!
03-03-2007, 07:11 PM
HEY I KNOW YOU!!!!!

......:secret:

:challenge :laughjump:

Ashlie Lelie Vernon Davis 2007 HOLLA!!

Ibar_Harry
03-03-2007, 07:14 PM

You know Vinny it looks like we lost again with the coaching staff. Sherman, Kubiak and Smith seem to be all of the same mind set and are not innovative at all. I think in business there is a term for this kind of hiring. I will let you guys supply it. I keep saying I think we have no plan in place and simply are reacting. What we have seen so far has anything but a good look to it. Good luck..

keyfro
03-03-2007, 07:16 PM
i don't know about all of that...maybe lelie just wanted to be closer to home

aj.
03-03-2007, 07:20 PM
I keep saying I think we have no plan in place and simply are reacting. ..

The plan is to stop giving stupid FA contracts and extensions to players not worthy. So far the plan is working perfectly.

TEXANRED
03-03-2007, 07:22 PM
You know Vinny it looks like we lost again with the coaching staff. Sherman, Kubiak and Smith seem to be all of the same mind set and are not innovative at all. I think in business there is a term for this kind of hiring. I will let you guys supply it. I keep saying I think we have no plan in place and simply are reacting. What we have seen so far has anything but a good look to it. Good luck..

I would have to disagree with that. I think they know exactly what they want. It started when our old cap guy was replaced. Not over paying in FA and getting our cap under control was probably priority one. Keeping all of our draft picks and even acquiring additional picks looks to be on there list as well. You are also seeing more of an emphasis on retaining our depth guys.

Inactivity in FA is not a bad thing. The fact they restructured and extended AJ contract was a step in the right direction.

I like what they are doing thus far, see me after the draft.

ArlingtonTexan
03-03-2007, 07:24 PM

They would have a better chance to be creative w/o a certain contract hindering them.

tulexan
03-03-2007, 07:27 PM
Who aren't the 9ers signing this year? I wouldn't mind Stallworth for cheap though.

Imatexanfan
03-03-2007, 07:31 PM
they are like the browns last year:drunk:

Ibar_Harry
03-03-2007, 07:35 PM
They would have a better chance to be creative w/o a certain contract hindering them.

Not true as it seems like it would simply give them more money to hire Bronco and Packer castoffs. Again, right now I don't see a plan or an asseblance of one. We haven't even gotten a draft pick for any of our deadwood. Without additional draft picks it would seem difficult to improve this team through the draft. They don't seem to be aiming at FA so far, so what is the plan?

ledzeppelin229
03-03-2007, 07:39 PM
Not true as it seems like it would simply give them more money to hire Bronco and Packer castoffs. Again, right now I don't see a plan or an asseblance of one. We haven't even gotten a draft pick for any of our deadwood. Without additional draft picks it would seem difficult to improve this team through the draft. They don't seem to be aiming at FA so far, so what is the plan?

We haven't even gotten a draft pick for any of our deadwood.

You just answered your own question.

Without additional draft picks it would seem difficult to improve this team through the draft.

We still have 7 picks. Fortunately Casserly is gone so we most likely won't blow all seven on worthless players.

Imatexanfan
03-03-2007, 07:45 PM
Don't really care at all for the 9er's but they've have sat back and did practicully nothing for 2 years. So they could fix their cap problem. They got rid of everyone and got younger. Those younger players have started something for them. And now they see if they had some key pieces they may have a chance to go deep next year.

That is what we should be doing. We have almost 20 mil of dead money after 5 years of existence. Thats stupid. We should still be one of the teams with the most wiggle room when it comes to offseason dealings. But no, they went away from getting better in the draft. They went to get big names in free agency and just ended up putting big money in bad players.

Were still kind of doing the same thing. After thinking about it. I don't think we should do anything. We can't get it in the draft or from a street free agent then we keep the same team. On that notion let Carr and Sage REALLY battle it out. Coach better and play better, just let Casserlys mess fix itself.

dbspi
03-03-2007, 07:47 PM
With all the acquitions 49ers made, they may have the best secondary in NFL now. So they went from one of the worst secondary team to now have the best secondary in NFL. It shows they want to win and win sooner then we do.

Playing in the NFC, I think they build their team this off season vying for playoffs and super bowl for years to come. We on the other hand still trying to identify the FA.

GuerillaBlack
03-03-2007, 07:49 PM
Don't hate. Appreciate.

At least you all are in the NFC :winky: . Where did you find all that money? The waters must be good in the Bay Area.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
03-03-2007, 07:51 PM
The plan is to draft and develop our young talent while filling holes with second tier free agents. It's still only the second day of free agency so most of the players being signed now are of the upper tier or are mediocre players being given lucrative contracts, which Casserly & Co. did to get us in the current mess we are in.

autch14
03-03-2007, 08:01 PM
[QUOTE=dbspi;613091]With all the acquitions 49ers made, they may have the best secondary in NFL now. So they went from one of the worst secondary team to now have the best secondary in NFL. It shows they want to win and win sooner then we do.

Playing in the NFC, I think they build their team this off season vying for playoffs and super bowl for years to come. We on the other hand still trying to identify the FA.

How does that show that they wanna win sooner than we do. They had 40 million to throw around at anybody we want. I'm sure we would have signed some huge fa's if we had that kinda money.

BattleRedToro
03-03-2007, 08:07 PM
With all the acquitions 49ers made, they may have the best secondary in NFL now. So they went from one of the worst secondary team to now have the best secondary in NFL. It shows they want to win and win sooner then we do.

No it shows that they have the available cap space to make such moves and that is all. The majority of the Texans's dead cap money was caused by the previous regime and unfortunately the current regime must pay the price for it.

HuttoKarl
03-03-2007, 08:13 PM
San Fran didn't even have to overpay for Lelie. Only a two year deal.

In the end, the lack of competition was probably what got him there. They just cut their best WR, so there would be more opportunity for Lelie to catch more balls. Two year deal tells me he's looking for another payday in a couple seasons.

ArlingtonTexan
03-03-2007, 09:34 PM

The biggest "plan" right now is not to continue giving out high dollar contracts to players who will never live up to them....You know how the previous administration got to the organization to this point.

Hulk75
03-03-2007, 10:45 PM
http://nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/10033511

Who next Kubes, plan m, is that what we are on now.

J-Russ
03-03-2007, 10:51 PM
Who cares who we bring in, as long as Carr is the starting QB we will suck, even if we had all-pro players at every position Carr starting would still make this team average.

Plan M, get carr the f out of houston

TexanFan881
03-03-2007, 10:52 PM
Who cares who we bring in, as long as Carr is the starting QB we will suck, even if we had all-pro players at every position Carr starting would still make this team average.

Plan M, get carr the f out of houston

Sage is here too, hopefully he'll be the starter and then the WRs will matter...

Johnny Utah
03-03-2007, 10:56 PM
The Texans are the joke of the NFL so no player will want to come here unless we grossly over pay them. Until we become better we will have to stick to overpaying mid-talent players or signing NFL washouts.

Ole Miss Texan
03-03-2007, 11:03 PM
I was trying to look at our Cap figures and all the house cleaning we're doing. I loved last years draft and expect us to have another awesome one this year. Next year I think we're going to have A LOT of cap space. We'll be a young up and coming team...our foundations built from the draft ...and we'll have at least twice the amount of cap space next year as we do this year...is my guestimate.

i think we're going to be just fine...

autch14
03-03-2007, 11:08 PM
does anyone know how much cap space we will have next year?

TexanFan881
03-03-2007, 11:14 PM
http://www.houstonprofootball.com/cap2008.html

You've got to remember that there are only 30 or so players on there, take off about 15 mil and that's about where we'll be, and I imagine we will be signing some new contracts with our players so it will look different, but there's what it looks like as of right now.

run-david-run
03-03-2007, 11:22 PM
Andre freeing up 6 mil for this year sure helps. Lets see if they put it to good use...and yes, it will be nice not to have 20 million of dead cap space hanging over us next offseason.

The Pencil Neck
03-04-2007, 12:56 AM
does anyone know how much cap space we will have next year?

Not unless they can tell the future. It depends on who we end up signing, who we end up drafting, and what their contracts end up being.

bluestars87
03-04-2007, 12:59 AM
......:secret:

:challenge :laughjump:

Ashlie Lelie Vernon Davis 2007 HOLLA!!

Oh yeah!:thumbup

Vinny
03-04-2007, 01:15 AM

edit: with the 49ers woo hoo, I never wanted him here so I'm happpy, but my Nostradamous moment has passed so I can't stay happy...don't expect me to be right again till 2012

The Jerm!
03-04-2007, 02:16 AM
woo hoo, I never wanted him here so I'm happpy, but my Nostradamous moment has passed so I can't stay happy...don't expect me to be right again till 2012

:cry2: :( Jinxed us!