PDA

View Full Version : Texans want to re-sign Salaam

real
03-01-2007, 01:37 PM
The Texans are hoping to re-sign veteran offensive tackle Ephraim Salaam, who played one season and is an unrestricted free agent. If Charles Spencer makes a full recovery from his broken leg, Salaam would be the swing tackle.
"I like what Ephraim stands for and what a positive influence he had on the younger linemen," Kubiak said. "We asked him to help the young guys, and he did, and then he played in 14 games after Charles went down. He's the kind of high-character guy I like to have on my team."

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/4592006.html

Navy_Chris
03-01-2007, 01:44 PM

He's a solid tackle. I'm glad he'll be around a little while longer.

TEXANRED
03-01-2007, 01:44 PM

I am looking forward to see what Kevin can do. What little I saw of him last year he has good hands and decent speed.

It would also be nice to see if Mathis figured out how to catch the ball so he could compete for the #2 slot.

ib4texans
03-01-2007, 01:45 PM

I agree with Kubiak, he played pretty banged up. He knew that the team needed him to play and he toughed through it.

It isn't like he was on a fresh pair of legs,he showed great leadership.

hot pickle
03-01-2007, 01:46 PM
good insurance policy in-case spencer aint 100%

kiwitexansfan
03-01-2007, 01:47 PM
Salaam was a warrior for us last year, showing great character and determination. I hope we bring him back because I think he is a guy that the young guys can learn from and who we can count on if things go pear shaped.

Mr teX
03-01-2007, 01:52 PM
He's quality depth, but that it.

HuttoKarl
03-01-2007, 01:57 PM
I think Salaam's a good player to keep around. He may be the only guy who played as hurt as Mario did. Not bad for an older guy.

HJam72
03-01-2007, 02:00 PM
But can he stay healthy?

thunderkyss
03-01-2007, 02:09 PM
But can he stay healthy?

Hopefully he won't have to. He's being signed for depth, not to build this team on, and we most likely won't be spending a lot to keep him around.

But think about it.

Freeney(twice), Ware, Taylor... got nothing while Salaam was in the game. Well, Taylor did get past Salaam once, but that was on the very next play where Salaam came back into the game, after getting smacked really hard...... I think he was out for 4 plays or so.

ib4texans
03-01-2007, 02:16 PM
Hopefully he won't have to. He's being signed for depth, not to build this team on, and we most likely won't be spending a lot to keep him around.

But think about it.

Freeney(twice), Ware, Taylor... got nothing while Salaam was in the game. Well, Taylor did get past Salaam once, but that was on the very next play where Taylor came back into the game, after getting smacked really hard...... I think he was out for 4 plays or so.

Agreed TK, he gives the young guys a standard to have to live up too. You have to tough it out because Salaam does.

Meloy
03-01-2007, 02:24 PM
Lts are a premium. Other teams may attempt to sign him.

Texans Horror
03-01-2007, 02:53 PM
I know I'm going to get slammed for this, but I never saw Salaam's value. Injury or not, he played to the level I expected for a guy run out of Jacksonville for allowing too many sacks on Byron. He never looked solid, and would have had higher sack numbers if Weigert hadn't played under him. Too many times Carr was sacked by the right side with the left tackle not a step away from him.

I understand the guy being here for depth, and I know Kubes has an obsession with swing players, but I think the Texans are better off with other players. God help us if he has to start as the Texans left tackle again this year.

real
03-01-2007, 02:56 PM
I know I'm going to get slammed for this, but I never saw Salaam's value. Injury or not, he played to the level I expected for a guy run out of Jacksonville for allowing too many sacks on Byron. He never looked solid, and would have had higher sack numbers if Weigert hadn't played under him. Too many times Carr was sacked by the right side with the left tackle not a step away from him.

I understand the guy being here for depth, and I know Kubes has an obsession with swing players, but I think the Texans are better off with other players. God help us if he has to start as the Texans left tackle again this year.

I think his biggest Value comes from having been in the system before, and being able to help some of our younger OL, more specifically Winston and Spencer....

HOU-TEX
03-01-2007, 03:22 PM
I think his biggest Value comes from having been in the system before, and being able to help some of our younger OL, more specifically Winston and Spencer....

I agree with this. As long as he doesn't break the bank, he's a good one to hang on to. He also seems like a very intelligent and well spoken man. So, I'd like to see him around next season for not only depth but as a mentor.:shades:

Hervoyel
03-01-2007, 06:06 PM
He's a solid tackle. I'm glad he'll be around a little while longer.

Have they changed the meaning of the word "solid" recently?

Just wondering.

keyfro
03-01-2007, 10:55 PM
salaam is a quality guy...i think this is his last year in the pros...i think depending on guys that we are able to bring in that he might not make it past june 1st...if we are able to get a guy like jordon black or mike gandy or draft a guy in the top 4 rounds of the draft i do not feel that he will be here during the season...but i am for bringing him back he still has a lot he can teach to winston, pitts, weary, and spencer