PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun...

San Antonio Texan
03-01-2007, 12:15 PM
I was reading a comment in another thread and brought up a thought I had the other day about our offensive formations for the 2006 season. I recall Coach Kubiak saying we could not use the shotgun formation for a reason that he could not mention at the time. This was around mid to late season I believe.

I am assuming he did not use it because opposing defensive coordinators would pick out a glaring weakness in the formation. (I thought Salaam just could not handle the defender with his knees)

Did Kubiak or anyone ever give an explanation as to why post season?

Please just objective feedback.

texans83
03-01-2007, 12:29 PM
yea I thought it was bc of the center, as soon as SM got in their I think the last game they tried it out and it was succesfull.

Insideop
03-01-2007, 12:45 PM
Yes. They say that Hodgdon had trouble with the snaps in the "shotgun." When McKinney moved back to Center for the last 2 games the problem was solved, and we got 2 wins! I would be very surprised if Hodgdon is back with the Texans this coming season, unless they plan on moving him to Guard. JMHO!

texans83
03-01-2007, 01:55 PM
Yes. They say that Hodgdon had trouble with the snaps in the "shotgun." When McKinney moved back to Center for the last 2 games the problem was solved, and we got 2 wins! I would be very surprised if Hodgdon is back with the Texans this coming season, unless they plan on moving him to Guard. JMHO!

either that or they solved all his problems, isent he kinda small for a center?

texans83
03-01-2007, 01:56 PM
I would love to pick up that center from USC I think his name is kali or something but he is a bad @$$. He looked really good at the combine but I dont think he will be around in the 2nd round, and I think if we picked him up at 8 it would be a reach.

HJam72
03-01-2007, 01:57 PM
Kalil, IIRC. Yeah, he's a mid first rounder, I think.

texans83
03-01-2007, 01:58 PM
Kalil, IIRC.

yea sorry his dad played right?

HJam72
03-01-2007, 01:58 PM

No idea, sorry.

santo
03-01-2007, 02:03 PM

Yeah he did....

Frank Kalil (who played center for Arizona after transferring from Arkansas and then professionally with the Buffalo Bills)

http://alexisjones.blogspot.com/2005/11/trojan-profile-ryan-kalil.html

texans83
03-01-2007, 02:10 PM
Yeah he did....

http://alexisjones.blogspot.com/2005/11/trojan-profile-ryan-kalil.html

Yea thought so. But the kid sounded really respectfull and inteligent, we al know how BM feels about those type of players.

Texans Horror
03-01-2007, 02:56 PM
Carr needs the extra step or two saved to get out of the way of defensive ends and tackles. I think the shotgun should be a Texans staple.

Battle Red Flash
03-01-2007, 03:33 PM
Did Kubiak or anyone ever give an explanation as to why post season?

Please just objective feedback.

I've heard a few opinions on this, but the one that rang true was that Carr could not handle it. When he looked away to catch the ball, he lost track of the pass rush and/or his receivers.
Of course, Kubiak would never come right out and say this.

texans83
03-01-2007, 03:38 PM
I've heard a few opinions on this, but the one that rang true was that Carr could not handle it. When he looked away to catch the ball, he lost track of the pass rush and/or his receivers.
Of course, Kubiak would never come right out and say this.

its easier out of shotgun rather than just droping back so I doubt that IMO

Texan_Bill
03-01-2007, 04:00 PM
Kalil:
I can say yes also. I actually caught an interiview with Kalil at the combine, the other day. Anyway, he talked about how his Dad played in the NFL and finished up in the USFL. He then went into coaching in the NFL and has gotten Kalil ready for this combine.

Sidebar: He also went on to say that his younger but bigger brother nicknamed "the Beast" committed to going to USC.

texans83
03-01-2007, 04:01 PM
I can say yes also. I actually caught an interiview with Kalil at the combine, the other day. Anyway, he talked about how his Dad played in the NFL and finished up in the USFL. He then went into coaching in the NFL and has gotten Kalil ready for this combine.

Sidebar: He also went on to say that his younger but bigger brother nicknamed "the Beast" committed to going to USC.

Yea good interview...

Double Barrel
03-01-2007, 04:22 PM
I think there is an interview with Kubiak regarding the shotgun formation. He's not a big fan of it due to the QB taking his eyes off of the defense to make sure he catches the ball. Hopefully someone will remember this interview and post it accordingly.

U4ikrob
03-01-2007, 04:32 PM
I think there is an interview with Kubiak regarding the shotgun formation. He's not a big fan of it due to the QB taking his eyes off of the defense to make sure he catches the ball. Hopefully someone will remember this interview and post it accordingly.

IMO it was Hodgdon that was the problem as DC was mainly a Shotgun QB in college. Honestly I think that was part of the problem with us having pass prot problems. I noticed more than one or 3 sacks DC took over the 5 years from the centers stepping on his feet. Definetly think he would be much better in a spread formation taking the ball in the "Gun" Unfortunately as everyone in the league knows are pass protection was suspect from year 1 and thus a contributing factor to the protection problem this year as well [Ie Salaam/Winston not able to handle big edge rushers]

texans83
03-01-2007, 04:34 PM
IMO it was Hodgden that was the problem as DC was mainly a Shotgun QB in college. I noticed more thna one or 3 sacks he took over the years from centers stepping on his feet. Definetly think he would be much better ina spread formation taking the ball in the "Gun" Unofrtuantely as everyone in the league knows are pass protection was suspect from year 1 and thus may be a contributing factor as well [Ie Salaam/Winston not able to handle big edge rushers]

thanks Ive been saying it was DH but itleast some people agree with me.