PDA

View Full Version : O-Line OR D-Line?

beerlover
03-01-2007, 02:54 AM
which line is the least of your worrys the offensive or defensive line?

OL-

LT Ephraim Salaam (FA)
LG Chester Pitts
C Steve McKinney
RG Fred Weary
RT Eric Winston

DL-

LE N.D. Kalu
DT Thomas Johnson
DT Anthony Maddox (FA)
RE Mario Williams

if your wondering about Spencer, Johnson & Weaver they are in rehab/recovering from surgery. going into year 6 it kinda makes you wonder just what happend.....:scare:

p.s. but it does make me feel a little better about the Mario Williams pick :mario:

bATXle red
03-01-2007, 03:03 AM
yikes... both line-ups scare me. alot. I'm going to pretend the Texans do really well in the draft and hope that scenario doesn't ever happen....
unless thats the best we can do during a horrible injury plagued season... which sounds too familiar.

dbspi
03-01-2007, 03:50 AM
Both line stinks and needs complete over haul but DL is more in bad shape then OL depending on health of Spencer. We didn't have a single guy last year on DL who could collapse the middle. Kubiak had mentioned this last year in the training camp and letter in the season. Out side of Mario we really don't have any one who is capable of putting pressure on the QB or help collapse the middle.

brewhaus
03-01-2007, 06:59 AM
We didn't have a single guy last year on DL who could collapse the middle. Kubiak had mentioned this last year in the training camp and letter in the season.

Exactly. Which kind of baffled me when the Texans wouldn't pay Robaire Smith 2 seasons ago. I thought he was solid in the middle and I believe it was a mistake to let him go, and as we all saw he ended up in East Austin.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
03-01-2007, 07:10 AM
Robaire was just another overpaid player on the Texans. We got a much better bargain with Anthony Maddux who played just as well as Robaire did during his stint here.

brewhaus
03-01-2007, 08:36 AM
Robaire was just another overpaid player on the Texans. We got a much better bargain with Anthony Maddux who played just as well as Robaire did during his stint here.

Gotta' love those bargins. As a matter of fact, we kind of played like a bargin team last year, didn't we?

texans83
03-01-2007, 08:49 AM
im scared!!!!:scare: :scare:

beerlover
03-01-2007, 10:52 AM
been searching for line help via FA & cannot find any affordable viable options.

A. will the Texans resign their current lineman who are free agents, Ephraim Salaam/Anthony Maddox?

B. what 2nd tier players could be signed via free agency?

C. possible trades? (wonder why the Texans release players instead of using them at least as trade fodder)

D. all lineman draft 1st day picks?

E. other ideas, both lines really need addressed.

TexanAddict
03-01-2007, 11:14 AM
Our O Line is the weaker of the two

edo783
03-01-2007, 11:45 AM
Almost a coin toss IMO, but the O-line gets the nod as the worst of that pathetic group.

TEXANRED
03-01-2007, 11:53 AM
First you would have to ask yourself what are you trying to accomplish this year.

For me, its keeping VY from coming into Reliant and claiming it as his own, or Peyton putting up a forty spot, or Jones-Drew/Taylor getting a free pass to go.

I would draft Okaye with the 8 pick and from what I have been told by the "Experts" is that this is a deep draft for DE's so I would then pick the best DE available (Unless of course there was a run on DE's in the first).

Insideop
03-01-2007, 01:03 PM
First you would have to ask yourself what are you trying to accomplish this year.

For me, its keeping VY from coming into Reliant and claiming it as his own, or Peyton putting up a forty spot, or Jones-Drew/Taylor getting a free pass to go.

I would draft Okaye with the 8 pick and from what I have been told by the "Experts" is that this is a deep draft for DE's so I would then pick the best DE available (Unless of course there was a run on DE's in the first).

That's my choice too, but I'm not sure if that's the route the Texans will go. They may try to trade down and get Brown and get an extra draft pick. Still too early to tell. We'll have to wait to see who they go after in FA. JMHO!

Navy_Chris
03-01-2007, 01:20 PM

OL-

LT Ephraim Salaam (FA)
LG Chester Pitts
C Steve McKinney
RG Fred Weary
RT Eric Winston

DL-

LE N.D. Kalu
DT Thomas Johnson
DT Anthony Maddox (FA)
RE Mario Williams

if your wondering about Spencer, Johnson & Weaver they are in rehab/recovering from surgery. going into year 6 it kinda makes you wonder just what happend.....:scare:

p.s. but it does make me feel a little better about the Mario Williams pick :mario:

Least of my worries is the O-Line. Those 2 DT's SUCK. Thomas Johnson is nothing but a thug playing in the NFL. Shantee Orr would've had a TD if it wasn't for him. AHHHHHH!!!! No real ability or discernable talent.

real
03-01-2007, 01:20 PM
The O-line will be fine...

The D-line will be fine if we can find one starter who can get consistent pressure on the QB...

I'm not overly worried about either....

TEXANRED
03-01-2007, 02:02 PM
Least of my worries is the O-Line. Those 2 DT's SUCK. Thomas Johnson is nothing but a thug playing in the NFL. Shantee Orr would've had a TD if it wasn't for him. AHHHHHH!!!! No real ability or discernable talent.

Oh yea I forgott about that.

So one win taken away by Thomas Johnson and two taken away by Cook.

Wow, we could have been 9-7.

real
03-01-2007, 02:06 PM
We could have been 16-0 too.

Navy_Chris
03-01-2007, 02:58 PM
Oh yea I forgott about that.

So one win taken away by Thomas Johnson and two taken away by Cook.

Wow, we could have been 9-7.

10-6 if you count the OT blunder to the Vince Young Titans!

Texans Horror
03-01-2007, 03:00 PM
O-line needs more work with a left/right tackle and a center needed, both in a bad way. To me, the d-line only needs a defensive tackle.

texans83
03-01-2007, 03:02 PM
coulda woulda didnt happen, the Dline scares me. Why dont they ty to trade TJ? I mean I know it would be a huge cap hit if we cut him but letts face it, all he is doing is taking up space.

Navy_Chris
03-01-2007, 03:03 PM
coulda wolda didnt happen, the Dline scares me. Why dont they ty to trade TJ? I mean I know it would be a huge cap hit if we cut him but letts face it, all he is doing is taking up space.

Because every other team in the NFL knows that Travis Johnson is lazy, just like we do. I'm sure you could talk Rod Graves of Arizona into anything, though.

Battle Red Flash
03-01-2007, 03:04 PM

OL-

LT Ephraim Salaam (FA)
LG Chester Pitts
C Steve McKinney
RG Fred Weary
RT Eric Winston

DL-

LE N.D. Kalu
DT Thomas Johnson
DT Anthony Maddox (FA)
RE Mario Williams

Hmmmm..... D-line is less of a worry. In a close call.

TheOgre
03-01-2007, 03:07 PM
This question is like, "Would you rather get kicked in the nuts repeatedly or break you are in multiple places?" Both units still need extensive work. Ironically we have spent 3 1st's on our D-line, and none on our O-line.

texans83
03-01-2007, 03:16 PM
This question is like, "Would you rather get kicked in the nuts repeatedly or break you are in multiple places?" Both units still need extensive work. Ironically we have spent 3 1st's on our D-line, and none on our O-line.

I know and there is a possibility that this might be the 4th consecutive year we do........

Ole Miss Texan
03-01-2007, 03:33 PM
Jeez...why'd you have to post this. This just really put a damper on my day because of how lame both of our lines are.

I don't know which is worse, they are both bad. I like our guards on the o-line and that's about it. spencer is hurt, salaam is a keeper but a back up, and winston is still young, i hope he really improves but he's not a bona fide starter now.

Defense, this really makes me love the Mario pick last year. with out him it'd be really sad. i like maddox and need to resign him. hopefully weaver can come back from surgery but esp. w/ that can't play DT all year...he'll play DE.

looking at this makes me think we will draft Amobi Okoye or Levi Brown. maybe even jamaal anderson or gaines adams.

I don't know of the free agents that could come here...hopefully kubes and smith do. both o-line and d-line. I'm hoping we go Landry with our pick but looking at those lines gets me depressed.

beerlover
03-01-2007, 07:58 PM
Jeez...why'd you have to post this.

so we can discuss which has priority? not much can be done via free agency either (looking at whos available & @ what price).

looking at this makes me think we will draft Amobi Okoye or Levi Brown. maybe even jamaal anderson or gaines adams.

all I can say is we need a stud who can play out of the gate for each line 1st day of the 07 draft. you could still pick Landry with the 8th then go OT in 2nd & DE/DT in 3rd :bowser:

Ole Miss Texan
03-01-2007, 08:48 PM
so we can discuss which has priority? not much can be done via free agency either (looking at whos available & @ what price).

all I can say is we need a stud who can play out of the gate for each line 1st day of the 07 draft. you could still pick Landry with the 8th then go OT in 2nd & DE/DT in 3rd :bowser:

yea i was just meaning..."why'd you have to bring this up!!! I don't want to face the realization and just want to live in denial!"

We really need all these picks. My latest 1st day might look something like this:
1-Laron Landry- bad ace mutha-help the secondary tremendously and cause some coverage sacks..?
2-Michael Bush-could be a good pick to team up with Dayne? taylor, lundy
3-Ryan Harris- OT kubes apparently likes him, he may go late 2nd rd? plus denver selects before us in the 3rd rd so would they 'steal' him from us?

or looking at DE or DT possible in the second round, who would you like as far as Quentin Moses, Charles Johnson, Demarcus Tyler,Anthony Spencer?

Sorry to turn this convo towards the draft. i'm thinking though if we go landry in the 1st, we can get a really good DE/DT ... in the 2nd....and then OT in the 3rd.

that could help our lines both on offense and defense.

GNTLEWOLF
03-02-2007, 07:24 AM
If we want to keep our defense off the field and score more points, I believe it is time to put a major investment into an o-line. This team hasn't made that a priority since the expansion draft. It is time.

keyfro
03-02-2007, 09:52 AM
i think the d-line is easier to fix...if you get a guy to play the other D-end like a dwayne white or draft tim crowder-type guy you can move weaver to DT and have a good three-man rotation at DT with TJ, maddox, and weaver...or you can do the opposite sign or draft a DT and keep weaver at SDE and mario at WDE

on the o-line you got multiple holes to fill...i think you have three positions that are/can be solid for us...pitts, weary, and yes winston at RT...that leaves LT and C open...personally i don't like our options at either one of these two positions...while we have a lot of centers in flanagan, mckinney, hodgdon, and white none of them is what i consider a building block for this o-line...i think we would be better served drafting kalil if he falls to us in round 2...but that still leaves LT open...we'll probably re-sign salaam...but he's not quiet the answer...spencer may or may not come back...possible affordable options in FA are mike gandy and jordon black...neither of whom handle speed rushers well...in the draft if we get lucky and joe staley is there in round 2 he would give us the most value...i like levi brown but i prefer laron landry in round 1...and there just isn't another LT in this draft that i think can really help us out this year

beerlover
03-02-2007, 10:20 AM
I've thought long & hard about this- its going to be near impossible to fix either line in one year but you can add building blocks to both sides of the ball, one year closer to a solid, competitive NFL line.

However its prohibitive difficult if you address another position (FS LaRon Landry) with that valueable first rd. pick (8th). you can solve the Texans tackle position for the next decade if you go Levi Brown (Spencer RT & Winston is your swing tackle/depth). taking Kalil as your franchise Center is unlikely (will be gone by #39) so you leave McKinney as your starter then look to a trade/FA or next years draft to finish the o-line while using another 1st day pick on a DT/DE.

The defensive line you have Mario, after that everyone is replaceable or could be upgraded. I'm really hoping we hear something soon via FA to address the interior of the line, resign Maddox & draft a quick edge DE unless the Texans resign Peek, then they could also draft another DT, I just can't handle another DL with the 1st pick (no offence to Branch/Okoye). seems to me like its going to still be harder to fix the d-line, maybe a three year plan if they go o-line with the 8th pick (Levi Brown) this year.