PDA

View Full Version : Wierd Money Saving Idea???

Dunta_23
02-28-2007, 05:44 PM
Instead of cutting these guys withe 2-3 years left on contract with big money....Is it at all possible to restructure them to a 1 yr deal and veteran minimum and give them a minimal signing bonus and then release them right after and take the smaller cap hit?

I know the idea sounds wierd...but the player has nothing to lose, he actually would be gaining money out of the deal and would also help the team out as well....is there something in the NFLPA that would be against this?

TexanSam
02-28-2007, 05:45 PM
I don't know if it's possible, but what's the incentive for the player if it can happen? Once he realizes they're restructuring his contract just so they can cut him, he wouldn't agree to it.

bavanlan
02-28-2007, 05:58 PM
Instead of cutting these guys withe 2-3 years left on contract with big money....Is it at all possible to restructure them to a 1 yr deal and veteran minimum and give them a minimal signing bonus and then release them right after and take the smaller cap hit?

I know the idea sounds wierd...but the player has nothing to lose, he actually would be gaining money out of the deal and would also help the team out as well....is there something in the NFLPA that would be against this?

If you signed a player with 2-3 years left on his contract to a 1 year deal, all the bonuses that were prorated over the original 2-3 years would get accelerated into the new 1 year deal. Then, when you cut the player from his one year deal, all of those bonuses would count against the cap the EXACT same way as if the player was cut outright from the original contract.

gtexan02
02-28-2007, 06:43 PM
Except you'd also then ahve to pay the NEW signing bonus as well, thus making the situation even worse