PDA

View Full Version : recent releases

mikey21
02-28-2007, 03:15 PM
now that we know that moulds, payne and weigert have been cut what kind of cap hit does this do to the team and how much room under the cap will the texans now have?

Lucky
02-28-2007, 03:16 PM
Let's get the final body count before going into that kind of detail.

Vinny
02-28-2007, 03:18 PM
The Texans will "officially" make an announcement around 3ish so we won't have to wait too long.

texans83
02-28-2007, 03:22 PM
The Texans will "officially" make an announcement around 3ish so we won't have to wait too long.

im getting pumped up!!!!!!! but 610 just said it will free up cap space so hopefully we will have a little bit more room to play with

mikey21
02-28-2007, 03:27 PM
i am wondering how much cap space will be freed up, is this the start of an off season that will begin the turn around ? i have faith that the decisions that are being made are the first of many that will get this team on track

Maddict5
02-28-2007, 03:29 PM
im getting pumped up!!!!!!! but 610 just said it will free up cap space so hopefully we will have a little bit more room to play with

for....NATE CLEMENTS!!:secret: ...I KNOW,I KNOW but i can still wish

Texan_Bill
02-28-2007, 03:32 PM
Let's get the final body count before going into that kind of detail.

LOL... Nice choice of words!!

HoustonTexans
02-28-2007, 03:33 PM
for....NATE CLEMENTS!!:secret: ...I KNOW,I KNOW but i can still wish

wow, I can't even imagine... Nate Clements and then drafting Landry at #8? That would be an unstoppable defense.

texans83
02-28-2007, 03:37 PM
wow, I can't even imagine... Nate Clements and then drafting Landry at #8? That would be an unstoppable PASS defense.

BUT IT WOULD BE BAD @$$!!!!!!!

tsip
02-28-2007, 03:50 PM
...just a general post--didn't want to open a thread...

QUESTION

The members list where it tells you when a posters last post was-
What does it mean when it says N/A?...and this poster has been on the boards like crazy...just curious...thanks

SuperMario
02-28-2007, 04:00 PM
We had 10 to 13 million in cap space before the cuts of Payne, Weigert, Moulds, and probably DW. How much cap space are we going to have? By the way, I am loving the moves the FO is making right now!:redtowel:

Vinny
02-28-2007, 04:02 PM
looks like it is just the 3 we know about Texans release three
February 28, 2007
By Nick Schenck
HoustonTexans.com

With the free agency period beginning this Friday, the Texans cleared some room in their salary cap today by releasing veterans Zach Wiegert, Seth Payne and Eric Moulds.

The three players have a combined 33 NFL seasons under their belts, including 10 with the Texans. Each of the players started for the Texans at some point during the 2006 season, although Wiegert and Payne suffered knee injuries that cut their respective seasons short.
Texans general manager Rick Smith discussed the transactions in a statement released today by the team.

“We made some difficult decisions today in releasing these three veteran players," Smith said. "We appreciate the contributions that each made to our football team, organization and community."

Wiegert, a guard and tackle who finished with 48 career starts in Houston, joined the Texans in 2003 after spending the previous four years with the Jacksonville Jaguars. The native of Fremont, Neb. played four seasons in St. Louis to begin his career after the Rams selected him in the second round (38 th overall) of the 1995 NFL Draft out of Nebraska.

A defensive tackle, Payne came to the Texans in 2002 after the club selected him in the NFL expansion draft. Originally chosen by the Jaguars in the fourth round (114 th overall) of the 1997 NFL Draft out of Cornell, Payne collected 151 tackles and nine sacks in Houston during his five-year tenure. He missed parts of the 2003 and 2006 seasons after tearing the ACL in each of his knees.

An 11-year pro, Moulds leaves after spending just one season in the Bayou City. Acquired last offseason from the Buffalo Bills in exchange for a fifth-round pick in the 2006 draft, Moulds caught 57 passes for 557 yards (9.8 avg.) in 2006, but finished with only one touchdown.
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/detail.php?PRKey=3336

infantrycak
02-28-2007, 07:08 PM
We had 10 to 13 million in cap space before the cuts of Payne, Weigert, Moulds, and probably DW. How much cap space are we going to have? By the way, I am loving the moves the FO is making right now!:redtowel:

hpf.com is pretty good with their cap number and they have the Texans prior to today at $20 mil in cap space with over $7 mil carried forward from last year. If Carr leaves, the Texans are not hurting for cap space.

Insideop
02-28-2007, 07:13 PM
Does this mean DD/DW and Wong are safe, or will there be another round of cuts before Friday?

I knew Payne and Wiegert would be cut, but the Moulds cut came as a bit of a surprise. I know he is getting old (33 yrs I think) and he has a big contract, but I thought he played ok under the circumstances, and he was a big help to AJ and the team in general. Oh well, time to move on I guess. JMHO!

PapaL
02-28-2007, 07:22 PM
Does this mean DD/DW and Wong are safe, or will there be another round of cuts before Friday?

I knew Payne and Wiegert would be cut, but the Moulds cut came as a bit of a surprise. I know he is getting old (33 yrs I think) and he has a big contract, but I thought he played ok under the circumstances, and he was a big help to AJ and the team in general. Oh well, time to move on I guess. JMHO!

Cuts dont have to be made before March 1. Most signing and roster bonuses are on March 1, others are not. So the cut could come before the start of the season as well.

gtexan02
02-28-2007, 07:23 PM
Here is something that annoys me. We won't necessarily CLEAR cap space. Sure we save their salary, but they still count against the cap in terms of Bonus pay, and we still have to pay a replacement.

edo783
02-28-2007, 09:27 PM
Does this mean DD/DW and Wong are safe

Nope, they are expected to be gone also according to McClain, probably soon IMO.

keyfro
02-28-2007, 10:51 PM
would not surprise me if the cuts continue tomorrow so we have more cap money to spend on possible FA's...the way kubiak has sounded when talking about DW i would imagine he will be on the way out...as for wong i could see him being a june 1st cut...keep him just in case we are not able to land the linebacker we want in the draft or in FA

jerenns
02-28-2007, 11:08 PM
I'm really surprised that we cut Moulds. I thought that he could really help take pressure off of Johnson in the passing game. I sure hope that he will be replaced by another great talent. You need two great receivers in this league plus a standout RB.

CoastalTexan
03-01-2007, 12:01 AM
Has any #2 wr done well with Carr? Seems like just the #1, and tight ends. And the dumpoff...