PDA

View Full Version : Texans to release Moulds/Moulds' comments

Pages : [1] 2

hellbentforfootball
02-28-2007, 02:27 PM
Maybe Ginn Jr is in the fold as well.

Chance_C
02-28-2007, 02:35 PM
Just heard on 790 that he was about to be released. Didn't see anything other than in the Seth Payne thread. Kinda surprising really, and it means that we are in now in the hunt for a WR2.

HJam72
02-28-2007, 02:36 PM
I don't think Moulds was happy here all year. Plus, he may be losing it.

Kaiser Toro
Not surprising as he was a shadow of his former self on the field.

Double Barrel
wow...that's a bummer. I like him as a player, a leader, and a personality. Too bad if it's true.

tulexan
Could this open the door for Ted Ginn Jr. at 8?

Big name
Excitement
Reggie Bush-like
Fills 3 holes on the team

Maybe...

Maddict5
02-28-2007, 02:40 PM

Big name
Excitement
Reggie Bush-like

Maybe...

please god no- we'd be much smarter to go d-line, landry at #8 and one of the quality wr's like bowe or jarret who'll fall to #39

Mr. White
02-28-2007, 02:43 PM
790's talking like Domanick Williams and Kailee Wong are probably up next.

Texans34Life
Maybe a trade up to get Calvin "The Beast" Johnson?

Blu
WoW... now this is news.

This might just chg everything.

Porky
Ok, that makes no sense at all. Watch, he will go somewhere else and have a very productive year.

El Tejano
02-28-2007, 02:45 PM
This could also open up Dante Stallworth to come here.

El Tejano
Ok, that makes no sense at all. Watch, he will go somewhere else and have a very productive year.

He'll go to Tennessee and fall in love with VY.

TexansLucky13

Agreed....

This is sad news. He may have not had a stellar year, but DB's respect his presence on the field and they sure let up for AJ to get a lot of action this year. I would love to see Moulds in a Texans uni next year, but football is a business, and whatever is good for Kubiak is good for me.

Vinny
02-28-2007, 02:47 PM
I think he wanted out myself...he wasn't very happy from what I understand.

El Tejano
02-28-2007, 02:48 PM
What other receivers are out there in FA? OMG Walter is our #2 guy. Mathis is jumping for joy right now.

El Tejano
02-28-2007, 02:48 PM

There goes our fifth round draft pick from last year.

Mr. White
02-28-2007, 02:49 PM
They're also taking Moulds' release to mean that Carr won't be here either. I don't quite see the connection myself.

texasguy346
Moulds release is a bit surprising. I think he had a big effect on AJ but Eric clearly didn't play like he had in years past up in Buffalo. I have to say I'm a bit puzzled by some of these moves. Perhaps the Texans are looking to go after Bennett or Stallworth when FA begins. Or as some have suggested perhaps they're setting their sights on taking a receiver in the draft like Bowe out of LSU.

TexansLucky13

If that turns out being the truth, then I guess that's just the way things have to be. Good luck to you, Eric, if you indeed do part with the Texans.

Mr. White
02-28-2007, 02:50 PM
Good luck to you, Eric, if you indeed do part with the Texans.

It's not a question of if. He's gone. He said so himself.

TEXANRED
02-28-2007, 02:51 PM
I told everyone Rod Ryan was cursed. He has them on his morning show and either they get hurt or has a crappy season. Wong, Babin, Moulds...all may get there walking papers at some point this season.

HuttoKarl
02-28-2007, 02:52 PM
Bring on Kevin Curtis!!!

gtexan02
02-28-2007, 02:53 PM
so how much is this going to cost us in terms of dead money?

Is there a record for amount of dead money that the Texans are nearing?

real
02-28-2007, 02:53 PM
I kinda actually like the move.

It lessens the chance that Mathis will be cut, and it allows us to get a more athletic reciever out there...

besides, he probably asked to get cut.

Maddict5
02-28-2007, 02:54 PM

OH NO!!!!! FIRE KUBIAK!!!!!!!:tease:

They're also taking Moulds' release to mean that Carr won't be here either. I don't quite see the connection myself.

Dumb

Moulds release is a bit surprising. I think he had a big effect on AJ but Eric clearly didn't play like he had in years past up in Buffalo. I have to say I'm a bit puzzled by some of these moves. Perhaps the Texans are looking to go after Bennett or Stallworth when FA begins. Or as some have suggested perhaps they're setting their sights on taking a receiver in the draft like Bowe out of LSU.

why?? old guys who've been unproductive on the field
kubiak himself said a few weeks ago that we need more pass rush and playmakers. both these moves are in line with that theory

Lucky
02-28-2007, 02:55 PM
so how much is this going to cost us in terms of dead money?
$3.75 million

Moulds picked up $6 million ($5 million bonus, $1 million salary) for his 1 season with the Texans. Good luck finding that kind of $$$ somewhere else, Eric.

texasguy346
02-28-2007, 02:57 PM
Patrick Ramsey is likely to be cut by the Jets & Fred Smoot is likely to be cut by the Vikings both via KFFL.

Mr. White
02-28-2007, 02:57 PM
I don't really see an upside myself for two reasons.

1. Dead money. I'm not sure how much, but I think he had a 3 year contract.
2. We gave up a draft pick for him and have nothing to show for it now.

Moulds probably wanted out because he wasn't getting the ball. That's on the QB for not being able to spread the ball around.

Reddevil63
02-28-2007, 02:58 PM
I would think just the opposite, he found out dave is coming back and asked to get outta dodge

real
Could we not have traded him for a 7th round pick or something ?

Texans_Chick

The football outsider guys actually said that they were surprised in the improvement in his production from Buffalo to the Texans.

First two thirds of the season, he was doing okay when he got the ball. His catch percentage was huge. No receiver could have been terribly happy with the offense the last third of the season.

I don't remember the game, but I think it was a preseason or early season game where they threw it deep to Moulds, and he looked a step big and slow.

Lucky
02-28-2007, 02:59 PM
Could we not have traded him for a 7th round pick or something ?
We used our 7th rounder on Walters.

real
02-28-2007, 02:59 PM
I would think just the opposite, he found out dave is coming back and asked to get outta dodge

Took the thoughts right outta my head...

real
02-28-2007, 03:00 PM
We used our 7th rounder on Walters.

How does that keep us from trading Eric Moulds for atleast a 7th rounder ?

Mr. White
02-28-2007, 03:00 PM

Dumb

What the hell is dumb about "I don't quite see the connection myself"? Enlighten me.

HuttoKarl
02-28-2007, 03:02 PM
Patrick Ramsey is likely to be cut by the Jets & Fred Smoot is likely to be cut by the Vikings both via KFFL.

Wonder how much Smoot's going to be fetching. He'd be nice opposite Dunta.

real
02-28-2007, 03:03 PM
Wiegert has been cut.

Errant Hothy
02-28-2007, 03:04 PM

Wow...should we start calling this "Black Wednesday" :shades:

Lucky
I don't remember the game, but I think it was a preseason or early season game where they threw it deep to Moulds, and he looked a step big and slow.
That was the Denver preseason game.

I know we talked about Moulds in a previous thread, how his numbers dipped from the Raiders game through the end of the season. The Raiders game was also where the Texans passing game went from average/mediocre to nonexistent. That was also the game where Carr received a concussion (according to his brother) and was left in the game.

Texan_Bill
They are starting to drop like flies, now..... This could be a great thing!!

ThaShark316
02-28-2007, 03:05 PM
:( this blows...Good luck to E-mo...he'll do well where ever he ends up.

TEXANS84
Wow, Moulds is a shocker.

Weigert was expected.

Blu
They are starting to drop like flies, now..... This could be a great thing!!

WORD!!

texasguy346
02-28-2007, 03:06 PM

Washington is said to be very interested in him & would like for him to return. I think we could get him at a decent price provided that Snyder & the Redskins are more concerned with nabbing London Fletcher.

HuttoKarl
02-28-2007, 03:07 PM
Wow...should we start calling this "Black Wednesday" :shades:

I'm going to call it "Happy Wednesday" or "The Day We Got Rid of Casserly's Fingerprints".

:sbad: :marionaner: :sbad:

real
02-28-2007, 03:09 PM
OMG, the Texans are going to try and draft Brady Quinn.

AtheGreat
02-28-2007, 03:10 PM
add #2 WR to the list of needs.

though like someone else said, i'd love to see Kevin Curtis in deep steel blue...

TexanAddict
02-28-2007, 03:12 PM

Smoot has done nothing since leaving Washington

Maddict5
02-28-2007, 03:12 PM
What the hell is dumb about "I don't quite see the connection myself"? Enlighten me.

LOL calm down- i was reffering to the media guys somehow trying to make a connection between mould and DC- not you:shades:

HuttoKarl
02-28-2007, 03:13 PM

Because he's been in Minnesota. Name a Viking who's done anything other than retire or get traded.

Lucky
02-28-2007, 03:14 PM
Well, Smoot did organize the Vikings' Love Boat trip. He at least should get credit for that. :shades:

ROCKY
02-28-2007, 03:14 PM
Just heard it on 610,

Andre will not be happy, I dont feel he had much of a chance. Does this mean were going after a WR in the draft???

Errant Hothy
02-28-2007, 03:15 PM
nm, due to the merge.

tulexan
02-28-2007, 03:15 PM
Or Free Agency

texasguy346
02-28-2007, 03:19 PM
Well, Smoot did organize the Vikings' Love Boat trip. He at least should get credit for that. :shades:

You see there he's got that "veteran leadership" thing going for him.

HuttoKarl
02-28-2007, 03:20 PM
Maybe they'll actually try to involve Mathis and Walter this season, which didn't happen last season.

texans83
02-28-2007, 03:20 PM
He just didnt cut it, expecially for what we were paying him.

texans83
02-28-2007, 03:21 PM
Maybe they'll actually try to involve Mathis and Walter this season, which didn't happen last season.

I hope they dont cut mathis, 610 was saying the other day that they might bc of injury concerns.

dirty steve
02-28-2007, 03:22 PM
when exactly were they supposed to involve mathis? dude was hurt the whole year. other than the oakland game he did zilch. walter's production was expected. he was signed to be the ed mccaffrey type possession receiver, which he accomplished.

Mr. White
02-28-2007, 03:22 PM
LOL calm down- i was reffering to the media guys somehow trying to make a connection between mould and DC- not you:shades:

Gotcha. We're talking about Lopez here. He's got it worked out that we're setting the stage to draft Brady Quinn.

He says the Vikes will get Schaub and Carr will end up in Cleveland.

real
02-28-2007, 03:23 PM

I get the connection....

We're getting rid of all the older guys on the team...We're starting over...

HuttoKarl
02-28-2007, 03:24 PM
when exactly were they supposed to involve mathis? dude was hurt the whole year. other than the oakland game he did zilch. walter's production was expected. he was signed to be the ed mccaffrey type possession receiver, which he accomplished.

I didn't mean it like I think my post reads. I meant only that Walter was good on third downs when needed, but didn't really see a lot of action. He's got great hands, runs nice routes...he can produce more. Mathis...we all know he was hurt. I'm hoping he's over that and ready to produce. Actually making it to training camp healthy would be a great start.

real
02-28-2007, 03:25 PM
I heard David Carrs house is up for sale....I dont know for a fact but my friends, friend is a real estate agent and he told him that....???????

Take it FWIW.

SamuraiSword
02-28-2007, 03:37 PM
Eric Moulds spoke with David Dillati and said the Texans were going for youth. Moulds doesn't have any hard feelings towards the Texans. This was a shocker from hell. He had a low performance because of a certain QB on our team from my point of view. If they are going after youth in players then they then better cut Carr. He is getting up there in age.

texans83
02-28-2007, 03:39 PM
Eric Moulds spoke with David Dillati and said the Texans were going for youth. Moulds doesn't have any hard feelings towards the Texans. This was a shocker from hell. He had a low performance because of a certain QB on our team from my point of view. If they are going after youth in players then they then better cut Carr. He is getting up there in age.

yea I heard it too, man I hope we are going to be like NO but in 07!!!

hollywood_texan
02-28-2007, 03:40 PM

Exactly, I said several times last year in that the Texans overpaid for him. They could have got him after he cleared waivers.

I got negative rep and people said that I didn't have any football sense. Basically, people were saying Moulds was a steal for a 5th round draft pick.

Ummm....

I am not surprised by this, but remember what another former #2 wide receiver did late last year. I don't think Moulds was a worth a 5th round draft pick, but he does have something left in the tank with the right situation.

Unfortuantely, the Texans isn't the right situation for Moulds, because they can't get to the right situation for David Carr... Moulds was doomed to not fulfill the value required to acquire him because of the David Carr situation...

Porky
02-28-2007, 03:42 PM

Funny, this coming from the OC of the Broncos, where the ageless Rod Smith is still a good WR, and is much older than Moulds. Something stinks in Denmark.

texanfan2002114
02-28-2007, 03:42 PM

Thats such a stupid statement. Carr is 28, how is that old?

mikey21
02-28-2007, 03:44 PM
i wish nothing but the best for moulds, he was a class act and a true locker room leader

SamuraiSword
02-28-2007, 03:47 PM
Thats such a stupid statement. Carr is 28, how is that old?

uhm didn't Mcnair say he doesn't want any players around the age of 30? He's getting there and Moulds offers leadership to the wide receivers. It doesn't make any sense at all that he was released.

Maddict5
02-28-2007, 03:48 PM
Funny, this coming from the OC of the Broncos, where the ageless Rod Smith is still a good WR, and is much older than Moulds. Something stinks in Denmark.

yeah every wr ages the same??? moulds wasnt very effective (rod wasnt this year either as a matter of fact)..meh it was a 5th round pick- i think il survive

SamuraiSword
02-28-2007, 03:49 PM

I agree this don't make any sense. I now think he wanted to be released and just making things up. Carr better not be back .....

mikey21
02-28-2007, 03:50 PM
before anyone jumps all over me for this , i am just joking when i say this, now that it seems we will need a number 2 reciever, lets go get randy moss lol

dirty steve
02-28-2007, 03:51 PM
say what you want about carr, but at 27 he is hardly "getting up there."

texans83
02-28-2007, 03:51 PM
uhm didn't Mcnair say he doesn't want any players around the age of 30? He's getting there and Moulds offers leadership to the wide receivers. It doesn't make any sense at all that he was released.

I think its almost time to say to AJ is the leader and the other recievers can look to him, he has been to two pro bowls

texanfan2002114
02-28-2007, 03:53 PM

Again if your going to quote McNair, that was early in the franchise. That wasn't recently. Come on your just trying to bash Carr.

HuttoKarl
02-28-2007, 03:55 PM
I'm guessing the Carr getting old thing was a joke.

Vinny
yeah every wr ages the same??? moulds wasnt very effective (rod wasnt this year either as a matter of fact)..meh it was a 5th round pick- i think il surviveSay what you want about Moulds but he caught 57 passes last season in an offense where the wr2 has never been a big part of the offense in half a decade with Carr at the helm. Moulds can't throw himself the ball.

real
I'm guessing the Carr getting old thing was a joke.

You think ?

Some people are just going psycho around here....:crazy:

DRAMA
02-28-2007, 03:58 PM
Man..."That's one BIG DECK...and I did say DECK!"

See ya Eric.

El Tejano
02-28-2007, 04:03 PM
Any others go down?

Meloy
02-28-2007, 04:04 PM
Can not each of those cut be resigned at a lower amount? Maybe some of this is strictly to convince those cut to negotiate a new deal.

texanfan2002114
02-28-2007, 04:04 PM
Any others go down?

Weigert, Payne and John McClain just said that Dom. Williams will be the next.

Maddict5
02-28-2007, 04:05 PM
Say what you want about Moulds but he caught 57 passes last season in an offense where the wr2 has never been a big part of the offense in half a decade with Carr at the helm. Moulds can't throw himself the ball.

yeah but moulds did look a step slow and was too expensive for a slot wr. if we get bowe or jarrett (id love to get meachem but he'll be gone) in the 2nd round of the draft, it'll be a definite upgrade (hopefully:winky: )

David's Busted Carr
02-28-2007, 04:21 PM
Wow, that's one guy I wasn't expecting to get cut!

SamuraiSword
02-28-2007, 04:21 PM
yeah but moulds did look a step slow and was too expensive for a slot wr. if we get bowe or jarrett (id love to get meachem but he'll be gone) in the 2nd round of the draft, it'll be a definite upgrade (hopefully:winky: )

and Carr is expensive for a mediocre QB? If I heard this right on 790 that Moulds was making under 2 million. This was comming from John Lopez so .......cutting moulds is a strange thing.

David's Busted Carr
02-28-2007, 04:22 PM
oops, didn't see the sticky up top, please delete this... sorry!

texans83
02-28-2007, 04:23 PM
Wow, that's one guy I wasn't expecting to get cut!

hey bro you are a little late!!!! Check out the other thread.

texans83
02-28-2007, 04:24 PM
and Carr is expensive for a mediocre QB? If I heard this right on 790 that Moulds was making under 2 million. This was comming from John Lopez so .......cutting moulds is a strange thing.

No ill have to check but I think he had the 4th or 5th highest paid player this yr and next yr. ill have to check though

TexanSam
02-28-2007, 04:25 PM
I'm surprised and not surprised. He was a decent #2 but he wasn't great. Maybe a guy like Johnnie Lee Higgens (who didn't have a very good combine) will fall to us in the 3rd or 4th round. Donte Stallworth would be a nice pickup as well. I don't think the Texans will go with Walter as the #2.

TexanSam
02-28-2007, 04:28 PM

To be fair though, not many wide recievers are as productive as Rod Smith are when they get up to their mid to late 30s. However, the last time the Texans said they were going for youth was after the 2004 7-9 season. Look how 05 turned out...

texans83
02-28-2007, 04:30 PM
To be fair though, not many wide recievers are as productive as Rod Smith are when they get up to their mid to late 30s. However, the last time the Texans said they were going for youth was after the 2004 7-9 season. Look how 05 turned out...

dont say that

kcwilson
02-28-2007, 04:31 PM
Weigert, Payne and John McClain just said that Dom. Williams will be the next.

Add Domanick Davis/Williams to the growing list of casualties of the #31.

Aaron Glenn was #31, then was cut in '05 I believe. Then we brought in P-Buc, who assumed #31 and was cut a year later. Now DDW is making the transition to the hexed number and will likely seal his fate of being released.

And as everyone knows... 31 backwards, is the dreaded #13.

Bad Luck.

run-david-run
02-28-2007, 04:45 PM

The idea here I think is to help AJ and the passing offense by having a deep threat. We dont often go with more then 2 WR's in our offense, and with Moulds out there, all you have to do to stop the big play is double AJ, which teams do anyway. Someone mentioned Stallworth, and I would love for that to happen, if he stays healthy.

hollywood_texan
02-28-2007, 04:47 PM
It's real simple if you are on offense, if you can't help Carr out to be a better QB, your gone!

real
02-28-2007, 04:48 PM
Looks like Moulds called out Carr too...

edit: I shouldn't have said looks like....He DID call out Carr....

TexanSam
02-28-2007, 04:48 PM
I guess this means we had a 105 page thread for nothing once we traded for Eric Moulds. I bet this thread won't match that one!

http://forums.houstontexans.com/showthread.php?t=20305

Carr Bombed
02-28-2007, 04:49 PM

I was thinking the same exact think reading this thread

run-david-run
02-28-2007, 04:51 PM
yeah every wr ages the same??? moulds wasnt very effective (rod wasnt this year either as a matter of fact)..meh it was a 5th round pick- i think il survive

yeah, moulds was more of a deep threat in his prime, so he would be more affected by aging and loosing his legs.

I think there is a pretty good chance Sidney Rice could fall to the second...any takers?

Meloy
02-28-2007, 04:54 PM
I guess this means we had a 105 page thread for nothing once we traded for Eric Moulds. I bet this thread won't match that one!

http://forums.houstontexans.com/showthread.php?t=20305And Moulds did not live up the the hype that thread brought when we signed him. Like Carr, not all was his fault, but like many have posted, Moulds did not get the job done. Difference is Moulds gone DC here.

HOU-TEX
02-28-2007, 04:55 PM
And Moulds did not live up the the hype that thread brought when we signed him. Like Carr, not all was his fault, but like many have posted, Moulds did not get the job done. Difference is Moulds gone DC here.

For now.:winky:

El Tejano
02-28-2007, 04:57 PM

Did you really here that he got cut? and btw, #13 on this team is a good thing.

Marcus
02-28-2007, 05:03 PM
Did somebody mention Donte Stallworth?:lol:

Now, if you were Donte Stallworth, would YOU want to play for the Texans? As a matter of fact, try to think of any FA wide receiver in his prime who would want to play for the Texans with the QB that they have.

Any receiver worth a hoot that plays opposite AJ will be gotten in the draft. The FAs will go somewhere else where they think they would get the ball.

Blu
02-28-2007, 05:04 PM
I bet Philly will be all over Moulds.
He brings in the leadership on the offence the Eagles need.

Malloy
02-28-2007, 05:06 PM
Something stinks in Denmark.

I'm offended! :)

Stros5Texans80
02-28-2007, 05:09 PM
I think they are making space to bring it Quinn. Although I wish we didn't get rid of Moulds, whatever can help the team I am all for. Thanks for playing with us Eric; go kick some @$$ somewhere else. :)

GuerillaBlack
02-28-2007, 05:12 PM
I don't want Quinn here.

stingray
02-28-2007, 05:12 PM
Too bad that we won't be able to get Calvin johnson unless we trade up. Imagine Calvin and and andre. They'll be known as Johnson&Johnson, soft as talcon Powder!!!!!!

thunderkyss
02-28-2007, 05:14 PM
OMG, the Texans are going to try and draft Brady Quinn.

Were you seriously thinking this??

I want to know, because I heard it on the radio on the way home, and for some reason... I was thinking the same thing.

It doesn't make sense to me, I don't see the connection, but the first thing that came into my mind was "We're drafting Brady Quinn"

Are we officially rebuilding?? bringing in a new "face"??

nunusguy
02-28-2007, 05:15 PM
Moulds was on a 3 or 4 year contract ?
You'd expect atleast 2 seasons out of him, even with his age.
Somebody said he wasn't happy, and wanted out. That's gotta be it,
or it makes Kubiak look even worse.
Now we have one more need - a #2 WR. Dang, what don't we need ?

The Pencil Neck
02-28-2007, 05:16 PM

Aaron Glenn was #31, then was cut in '05 I believe. Then we brought in P-Buc, who assumed #31 and was cut a year later. Now DDW is making the transition to the hexed number and will likely seal his fate of being released.

And as everyone knows... 31 backwards, is the dreaded #13.

Bad Luck.

But if it's 13 backwards, wouldn't that make it good luck?

DocBar
Just saw on NFL network that Moulds has been released. If already posted, sorry...Great havin ya for a year. Hope AJ was listening.

TexanSam
Moulds was on a 3 or 4 year contract ?
You'd expect atleast 2 seasons out of him, even with his age.
Somebody said he wasn't happy, and wanted out. That's gotta be it,
or it makes Kubiak look even worse.
Now we have one more need - a #2 WR. Dang, what don't we need ?

A quarterback :stirpot:

stingray
02-28-2007, 05:17 PM
How bout Anthony Gonzalez in the second round.

Vinny
02-28-2007, 05:18 PM
How bout Anthony Gonzalez in the second round.I sure hope not...he isn't real impressive in game action imo.

Please_Evolve
02-28-2007, 05:18 PM
Not a big fan of this really. I thought Moulds wasn't ina position to succeed honestly. Who could we look at to replace the solid leadership he gave us in a year and a #2 receiver that can teach? Another youth movement....basically if we continue this we're doing two things purging old contracts that area bad...are going to leave us in cap purgatory for a bit.

This also means we're purging veterans mostly. I know Kubiak has been in the business for a while as a coordinator and this makes people like Sherman, Smith,and Recently added Bush invaluble at this point. At this point Kubiak needs to do a few things:

1. Reach to the players he wants to build with Dunta, AJ, Ryans. Williams, Weaver,whomever and basically tell them what's going on and the direction the team is headed and that he needs them to be leaders.

2. Resign at least some of the players that were productive from last year. Kalu being big on my list. I know he's nota full timer but leadership and in spurts he does well still.

3. Be active enough in FA to land a few veterans. Lewis or Hamlin being key targets on defense and line help as well. At least backup help MINIMALLY on the O line.

4. Deceide what to do with Carr by the draft. Trade, keep him...whatever. It's imperitive it's done by draft day. I'm for signing Rohan, drafting Stanton ir the second or third if available, Kolb is an after thought as well, Plummer is an option as a stop gap guy. But we'd need someone to groom this or next year. I dunno if you're going to get better then Brohm next year either and he might have another great year raising his stock more out of our reach. As i am hoping we are close to 8-8 next year.

5. Texans really can't afford to miss in this draft at all.

It's going to be an interesting March. Someone brought up the 04-05 season. I hope this doesn't echo it.

SESupergenius
02-28-2007, 05:19 PM
Once again, Texans fans rip on Carr out of the blue. Whatever.

Note this:
Broncos #2 reciever for the last 2 years have been
2005 Ashley Lelie 42 att 770 yds 18.3 avg 1 td
2006 Rod Smith 52 att 512 yds 9.8 avg 3 td

What did Moulds do
2006 Eric Moulds 57 att 557 yds 9.8 avg 1 td

As you can see, Moulds was very expendable considering the money HE was making. Mathis or any of the other WR's can do just as good a job at getting seperation and making plays as Moulds did.

texasguy346
02-28-2007, 05:21 PM
How bout Anthony Gonzalez in the second round.

Bowe is a better option in the 2nd if they decide to go that direction. I don't really think Gonzalez is all that great of prospect from what I've seen of him. I'd think he'd likely be available in the 4th round.

thunderkyss
02-28-2007, 05:22 PM

The number two guy doesn't have to be your deep threat..... hell, we put AJ in the slot as much as anyone... Moulds could still do his thing, and we could put Anderson, Sheppard or Mathis in the slot to stretch the field.

No, this makes no sense, and Moulds was a steal for a 5th round pick.

real
02-28-2007, 05:27 PM
The number two guy doesn't have to be your deep threat..... hell, we put AJ in the slot as much as anyone... Moulds could still do his thing, and we could put Anderson, Sheppard or Mathis in the slot to stretch the field.

No, this makes no sense, and Moulds was a steal for a 5th round pick.

I'm not a big Salary guy, so I don't know the implications in that regard...

But it looks like the Texans are tearing this thing down, and starting over...

Moulds probably wanted to go to a more competitve team, and he also said the Texans said they wanted to go with more youth...

Double Barrel
02-28-2007, 05:27 PM

Moulds is just upset that David never locked onto him like he did AJ. :winky:

Vinny
02-28-2007, 05:30 PM
No, this makes no sense, and Moulds was a steal for a 5th round pick."That's a priceless Steinway!"

Clouseau: "Not anymore."

http://www.grudge-match.com/Images/clouseau.gif

stingray
02-28-2007, 05:33 PM
I sure hope not...he isn't real impressive in game action imo.

I think he will be a better long term reciever than Ginn. He's smart, good speed, and plays hard. Rod woodson said that he thinks Gonzalez will be in many pro bowls.

Vinny
02-28-2007, 05:34 PM
I think he will be a better long term reciever than Ginn. He's smart, good speed, and plays hard. Rod woodson said that he thinks Gonzalez will be in many pro bowls.He was wooden and mechanical at the combine in his wr drills but ran fast....from what I hear he wasn't very impressive.

thunderkyss
02-28-2007, 05:36 PM
"That's a priceless Steinway!"

Clouseau: "Not anymore."

http://www.grudge-match.com/Images/clouseau.gif

At the time...

I meant at the time.

So what do you think?? rebuilding??

Nawzer
02-28-2007, 05:42 PM
We have some massive holes in the o-line and wide receiver on top of our already weak secondary, d-line, and running back positions. I can't see how the Texans will solve all these problems but I think this is the step in the right direction and rebuild.

Vinny
02-28-2007, 05:43 PM
At the time...

I meant at the time.

So what do you think?? rebuilding??I'd call it "building" since we would have to be "built" to rebuild I guess....but seriously, I have a hard time wrapping my mind around a lot of Kubiak's moves. Last year Kubiak passed on Young and re-upped Carr.....we brought in Weaver and Williams and yet we still need pass rushers...we traded for Gado but Morency clearly outplayed him at GB and Gado looks no better than fodder at this point....Kubiak brought in Moulds but now he is gone...Cook was brought in and benched while Morran Norris is now beloved over at 49erville as Gore was leading the NFC in rushing. We sign Walters to a pretty nice contract (and gave up a 7th round pick) but he was the invisible man last year....Jeb Putzier couldn't hold his job either.

I donno....this team is a mystery to me right now. I'm kinda "eh" on the moves at this point.

real
02-28-2007, 05:46 PM
I'd call it "building" since we would have to be "built" to rebuild I guess....but seriously, I have a hard time wrapping my mind around a lot of Kubiak's moves. Last year Kubiak passed on Young and re-upped Carr.....we brought in Weaver and Williams and yet we still need pass rushers...we traded for Gado but Morency clearly outplayed him at GB and Gado looks no better than fodder at this point....Kubiak brought in Moulds but now he is gone...Cook was brought in and benched while Morran Norris is now beloved over at 49erville as Gore was leading the NFC in rushing. We sign Walters to a pretty nice contract (and gave up a 7th round pick) but he was the invisible man last year....Jeb Putzier couldn't hold his job either.

I donno....this team is a mystery to me right now. I'm kinda "eh" on the moves at this point.

Dito. pretty much exactly my feelings.

hollywood_texan
02-28-2007, 05:50 PM
I'd call it "building" since we would have to be "built" to rebuild I guess....but seriously, I have a hard time wrapping my mind around a lot of Kubiak's moves. Last year Kubiak passed on Young and re-upped Carr.....we brought in Weaver and Williams and yet we still need pass rushers...we traded for Gado but Morency clearly outplayed him at GB and Gado looks no better than fodder at this point....Kubiak brought in Moulds but now he is gone...Cook was brought in and benched while Morran Norris is now beloved over at 49erville as Gore was leading the NFC in rushing. We sign Walters to a pretty nice contract (and gave up a 7th round pick) but he was the invisible man last year....Jeb Putzier couldn't hold his job either.

Now I am really depressed.

Just think if Ryans wasn't drafted or didn't have the year he had last year.

Bottom line is the Texans do not have a core set of players that make other parts of the team better (except for Ryans, honorable mention, AJ).

HuttoKarl
02-28-2007, 05:51 PM
Bowe is a better option in the 2nd if they decide to go that direction. I don't really think Gonzalez is all that great of prospect from what I've seen of him. I'd think he'd likely be available in the 4th round.

I've heard numerous people talk about how Gonzalez would never really be a #1 WR but would have about ten productive years as a #2 guy.

Hervoyel
02-28-2007, 05:53 PM
Cutting Moulds makes perfect sense. It's so "direct" and "focused" that frankly the move scares me. This is the kind of decisive and aggressive move I've been thinking the Texans should have been making all along.

Clearly the Texans offense doesn't really require anyone at WR other than Andre Johnson and so they don't see the sense in paying anyone significant bank to just run "decoy" routes that mostly won't get thrown to anyway. They can get that from any clown with speed for NFL minimum.

I'm impressed with the Texans coming clean and walking the walk. They're stating the obvious.

thunderkyss
02-28-2007, 05:57 PM
We have some massive holes in the o-line and wide receiver on top of our already weak secondary, d-line, and running back positions. I can't see how the Texans will solve all these problems but I think this is the step in the right direction and rebuild.

If you really think about it, our OL probably did pretty good. 41 sacks...we can be conservative about the number of times David pulled the ball down on a three step drop, and all the other times he pretty much sacked himself, and say 7 of those were David's fault.. that brings the total down to 34. Then consider that we should have been in the shotgun for at least 15 of those situations & say 9 of those wouldn't have resulted in the sack, and that brings it down to 23.

So our offensive line only gave up 23 sacks really...

well not really.. but kinda.

Second Honeymoon
02-28-2007, 06:00 PM

my thoughts exactly. smith has done a much better job since he got his hands around everything but so far kubiak's moves have not been that productive so far. Why he ever gave up on Morency I will never know....that guy had game and it was evident when he was handed the ball as a Texan...just never given the chance

texasguy346
02-28-2007, 06:03 PM
I've heard numerous people talk about how Gonzalez would never really be a #1 WR but would have about ten productive years as a #2 guy.

I think he'll be more of a slot receiver in the NFL. I don't think he'll be a legitimate #2 WR in the NFL. That's not to say he doesn't have talent, but I just think there are quite a few WRs who've got higher ceilings than he does.

steelbtexan
02-28-2007, 06:05 PM
if they want playmakers with speed they should sign kevin curtis

dirty steve
02-28-2007, 06:06 PM
I'd call it "building" since we would have to be "built" to rebuild I guess....but seriously, I have a hard time wrapping my mind around a lot of Kubiak's moves. Last year Kubiak passed on Young and re-upped Carr.....we brought in Weaver and Williams and yet we still need pass rushers...Cook was brought in and benched while Morran Norris is now beloved over at 49erville as Gore was leading the NFC in rushing. We sign Walters to a pretty nice contract (and gave up a 7th round pick) but he was the invisible man last year....Jeb Putzier couldn't hold his job either.

question: doesnt a great pass rusher need others along the line to sponge up double teams to be the most effective? like freeney/mathis? i was a little puzzled by the weaver signing to be a DE but immediately you heard chatter that he was going to be moved inside. other than that, who can you really count on to help out mario?

Vinny
02-28-2007, 06:10 PM
question: doesnt a great pass rusher need others along the line to sponge up double teams to be the most effective? like freeney/mathis? i was a little puzzled by the weaver signing to be a DE but immediately you heard chatter that he was going to be moved inside. other than that, who can you really count on to help out mario?Kinda like Carr needs all pros around him to do well? I hope Mario's career doesn't follow the path of the most righteous excuse too. Having a player like Mathis on the other side of Mario isn't gonna help beat those TE's that were getting their blocks on him....I just hope that his injury was a big factor in his play last year. Great players elevate the average players around them....it doesn't work the other way around, well, unless you are a Texans fan.

beerlover
02-28-2007, 06:15 PM

unsolved mystery :bubble:

MATRIX
02-28-2007, 06:26 PM
'
Yea, DW/DD was a given due to his cap ammount and injury prone. Wong was talking about a new lower paying, longer seal. Guess thats off.

I still say a RB or OL in RD1 and the other in Rd 2. They will go after DL and skill after that. Maybe get a #2 WR in the mid rounds. They do have a ton of good, not great WR's coming out.

dirty steve
02-28-2007, 06:46 PM
Kinda like Carr needs all pros around him to do well? I hope Mario's career doesn't follow the path of the most righteous excuse too. Having a player like Mathis on the other side of Mario isn't gonna help beat those TE's that were getting their blocks on him....I just hope that his injury was a big factor in his play last year. Great players elevate the average players around them....it doesn't work the other way around, well, unless you are a Texans fan.

i was asking the question in general, not trying to pull the "carr needs this, that, etc."

Vinny
02-28-2007, 06:50 PM
Wasn't aimed at you..I know it was an honest question. I was just using it as an example we all know all too well....franchise players are supposed to help the average Joe get his game on since teams focus on them...we seem to have it backwards around here.

dirty steve
02-28-2007, 06:55 PM
i know what you mean, i even perpetuated it for the longest time. then i realized everything was changing around DC, but things dont seem to get any better. then you have to look at #8 and wonder if he really deserves the chance to come back and try to prove himself AGAIN. i, for one, am done with the "no running game, no o-line, etc." excuses. i can even tell you when it happened--the Tennessee game when he fumbles at the end of the first half and Titans DL returns it for TD. no excuse for that, you know the O-Line is not good, just hold onto the ball, I think there less than 15 seconds left in the half and he coughs it up. i'm done--i dont even expect a reasonable return on the product (Carr) at this point.

infantrycak
02-28-2007, 06:57 PM
I don't understand this move at all. The Texans will be paying in terms of cap space to get rid of Moulds. He may not be in his prime any more but he sure wasn't bad enough to pay to get rid of. Somehow I bet if there was another guy under center he would have looked a lot better. After next year maybe it would have made sense, but not this year.

jdog
02-28-2007, 07:01 PM
I read something about this being a bad offseason for finding good free agents. Maybe Mr. Smith has decided to take this opportunity to trim the fat. I don't mean to be disrespectful to these outstanding veteran athletes because I really like 'em. From a FO perspective however, I think that's exactly what's going on here.

dirty steve
02-28-2007, 07:03 PM
I don't understand this move at all. The Texans will be paying in terms of cap space to get rid of Moulds. He may not be in his prime any more but he sure wasn't bad enough to pay to get rid of. Somehow I bet if there was another guy under center he would have looked a lot better. After next year maybe it would have made sense, but not this year.
the only thing i can think of is that they have somebody in mind in FA with a similar skill set to Moulds minus 3-4 years. the move came as a surprise (unlike wiegert, payne, soon to be williams) to me, too considering that alot of Moulds' defeciences weren't his own fault. i think his presence certainly aided in AJ getting all those balls, along with DC's locking on ability.

thunderkyss
02-28-2007, 07:04 PM

I never expected to see you post something like this.

I do believe this is our biggest problem.. getting what little bit we do have to stick around for us to get(and be able to afford to get(right now, I don't think the salary cap is high enough)) all the players we need to make David Carr a winner.

Dunta is already mouthing off... & we aren't even close on Defense alone.

valleytexfan
02-28-2007, 07:38 PM
wow. I understand it, though, because Moulds' production wasn't what people were expecting, IMO. I thought he had a decent year. You guys are right, I wonder what happens from here.

Double Barrel
02-28-2007, 08:02 PM
I hope Moulds goes somewhere and kicks butt. It would prove so many things, and not many of them positive.

trutxn
02-28-2007, 08:07 PM
Just heard on 790 that he was about to be released. Didn't see anything other than in the Seth Payne thread. Kinda surprising really, and it means that we are in now in the hunt for a WR2.

We were already in a hunt for a #2 WR before he was cut, Payne is at the end of his career and both WR and DT are very deep in this yrs draft, there are no surprises as of yet.

hollywood_texan
02-28-2007, 08:08 PM
I hope Moulds goes somewhere and kicks butt. It would prove so many things, and not many of them positive.

How about the Chargers? They could use a solid veteren possession receiver.

Mr. White
02-28-2007, 08:10 PM
The more that I think about it, the more it seems like the organization hasn't learned a damn thing yet.

All speculation aside, if we look at the moves that they are actually making, it looks like more of the same. They're not talking like it, but it looks like the FO still has blinders on when it comes to Carr.

TexanFan881
02-28-2007, 08:31 PM
We already have so many needs and we are finally set somewhere so we release our #2 WR?!?!? I am really ticked off right now. We already had so many positions of need and now we have to add WR. Why release him? We could easily do worse than him. If Ron Dayne gets cut I think I'm going to shoot someone.

Nighthawk
02-28-2007, 08:33 PM
I know nobody cares and nobody is listening, but this cut is a clear mistake. Moulds was a solid 2nd receiver.

jerek
02-28-2007, 08:35 PM

That'd be my guess as well. I think Moulds can still be a productive NFL WR and I think he was poorly utilized.

thunderkyss
02-28-2007, 08:38 PM
We already have so many needs and we are finally set somewhere so we release our #2 WR?!?!? I am really ticked off right now. We already had so many positions of need and now we have to add WR. Why release him? We could easily do worse than him. If Ron Dayne gets cut I think I'm going to shoot someone.

First, I think you should sit down. Next, let me get my Kevlar vest.

Ron Dayne is not a Texan. He signed a one year contract, that year is over. We have no "dibs" on him or anything. If another team makes him an offer, we have to beat that offer, or Dayne out of the kindness of his heart would have to decide to take our deal.

Basically what I'm trying to say, is that we don't have to cut Dayne, but as of right now, there is no reason to expect him to be on our team in '07.

freedoggy77
02-28-2007, 08:39 PM
I thought he was pretty good. well, cya Eric. hopefully we can pick up a WR thru free agency... Randy Moss, anyone? well, thats very unlikely, but hey anythings possible

TexanFan881
02-28-2007, 08:40 PM
First, I think you should sit down. Next, let me get my Kevlar vest.

Ron Dayne is not a Texan. He signed a one year contract, that year is over. We have no "dibs" on him or anything. If another team makes him an offer, we have to beat that offer, or Dayne out of the kindness of his heart would have to decide to take our deal.

Basically what I'm trying to say, is that we don't have to cut Dayne, but as of right now, there is no reason to expect him to be on our team in '07.

What I meant is that he should be in a Texans uniform next year. We can still sign him to a deal. He is the reason we won that game in Indianapolis and he really got our running game going once he was in. I'd be disappointed if he's not on the Texans next year, and hopefully he'll want to stay here.

All I've got to say is if we are going to be cutting players that we need we better be VERY active in free agency.

Imatexanfan
02-28-2007, 08:44 PM
Of course he'd be upset. Not to down Carr but, every pass thrown to 'em was like 3-6 yards and he couldn't make a play. Shoot just think if TO was here wow what a public humilation he'd be, huh?!:doot:

Nighthawk
02-28-2007, 08:44 PM
Cutting Moulds makes perfect sense. It's so "direct" and "focused" that frankly the move scares me. This is the kind of decisive and aggressive move I've been thinking the Texans should have been making all along.

Clearly the Texans offense doesn't really require anyone at WR other than Andre Johnson and so they don't see the sense in paying anyone significant bank to just run "decoy" routes that mostly won't get thrown to anyway. They can get that from any clown with speed for NFL minimum.

I'm impressed with the Texans coming clean and walking the walk. They're stating the obvious.

Where's Dumber?

Tulip
02-28-2007, 08:54 PM
I'm not happy about this. Hopefully he asked out. But if he did, what does that say about the state of the Texans' organization?

He had every right to be frustrated. He came here to be the #2 receiver, and he ended up being the #4 receiver through no fault of his own.

Now Gaffney is making end-zone circus catches in the playoffs, and who knows what's next for Moulds.

I'm peeved.

Imatexanfan
02-28-2007, 08:57 PM
I'm not happy about this. Hopefully he asked out. But if he did, what does that say about the state of the Texans' organization?

He had every right to be frustrated. He came here to be the #2 receiver, and he ended up being the #4 receiver through no fault of his own.

Now Gaffney is making end-zone circus catches in the playoffs, and who knows what's next for Moulds.

I'm peeved.

uuum whats peeved?!

Hervoyel
02-28-2007, 08:58 PM

Yeah but at this point I no longer care about positive and negative. I want the truth. I want to see the unvarnished, no-spin truth about this team and if Moulds going somewhere and making the Texans look like shaved apes for cutting him does that then I'm all for it. Losing sucks but not knowing enough about your roster to even know when the team is screwing up bigtime sucks worse.

Tulip
02-28-2007, 08:59 PM
uuum whats peeved?!

Somewhere between mildly annoyed and flaming mad.

Imatexanfan
02-28-2007, 09:00 PM
oh ok

Mr. White
02-28-2007, 09:02 PM
uuum whats peeved?!

A polite way of saying "pissed"

Runner
02-28-2007, 09:04 PM
uuum whats peeved?!

peeve
verb, peeved, peev·ing,
–verb (used with object)
1. to render peevish; annoy.
–noun
2. a source of annoyance or irritation: Tardiness is one of my greatest peeves.
3. an annoyed or irritated mood: to be in a peeve.

[Origin: 1905–10, Americanism; back formation from peevish]

—Synonyms 2. vexation, affliction, grievance.

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/peeve

disaacks3
02-28-2007, 09:05 PM
The more that I think about it, the more it seems like the organization hasn't learned a damn thing yet.

All speculation aside, if we look at the moves that they are actually making, it looks like more of the same. They're not talking like it, but it looks like the FO still has blinders on when it comes to Carr. I'm trying to figure out what that has to do w/ Moulds. Moulds didn't do enough last year to really merit more than a ho-hum response. He wasn't getting good separation, and his speed isn't really there anymore.

Let's be honest and look at how an opposing defense really needed to prepare for the Houston Texans offense last year.

1. Rush the QB - Our pass blocking still blew, (especially after Spencer went down). Rush 5 and pressure Carr all day.

2. Double-Cover AJ - Our only real threat, with the occasional downfield throw to a TE, and tosses to Moulds.

3. Have the LBs stay at home - Let them play against our budding run game while the boys up front do the real damage.

4. Play tight on the deep coverage - Little chance of getting burned, Carr will never get to hold the ball long enough to make many of those throws.

This just looks like another indicator of the pending "youth movement" around here. Remember Morency for Gado?

Tulip
02-28-2007, 09:09 PM
This just looks like another indicator of the pending "youth movement" around here. Remember Morency for Gado?

Eh? Morency is only 27.

Vinny
02-28-2007, 09:11 PM
I'm trying to figure out what that has to do w/ Moulds. Moulds didn't do enough last year to really merit more than a ho-hum response. He wasn't getting good separation, and his speed isn't really there anymore.

Let's be honest and look at how an opposing defense really needed to prepare for the Houston Texans offense last year.

1. Rush the QB - Our pass blocking still blew, (especially after Spencer went down). Rush 5 and pressure Carr all day.

2. Double-Cover AJ - Our only real threat, with the occasional downfield throw to a TE, and tosses to Moulds.

The last half of the season the team only had around 2 sacks a game and over the last ten games of the season David Carr had a grand total of 2 TD passes and one of them was vs the Jets as we were down 26-3 and it was garbage time. Moulds caught 57 passes in an offense that historically never found it's wr2....I mean, how much more could he have produced? It's not like Carr was spraying the TD's around when you only have ONE TD of any consequence from the passing game in the final ten games of the year.

mexican_texan
02-28-2007, 09:19 PM
Eh? Morency is only 27.
Yet one year removed from the end of his rookie campaign.

I'm giddy. This front office actually does something about losing.

powerfuldragon
02-28-2007, 09:21 PM

Yup.. we all knew that big changes would befall the texans this season. Last year Kubiak and co. were getting comfortable in houston. Now, they want to make sure the Texans aren't getting too comfortable in their losers chairs.

Tulip
02-28-2007, 09:25 PM

I'll be giddy when they make the one move that will actually turn it around. Otherwise, they're just going to continue rotating interchangeable underperforming support staff for The Guy DC.

thunderkyss
02-28-2007, 09:26 PM
I'm trying to figure out what that has to do w/ Moulds. Moulds didn't do enough last year to really merit more than a ho-hum response. He wasn't getting good separation, and his speed isn't really there anymore.

Let's be honest....

Let's be honest. Eric Moulds looked better with J.P. Lossman throwing him the ball.

beerlover
02-28-2007, 09:30 PM
Let's be honest. Eric Moulds looked better with J.P. Lossman throwing him the ball.

was more like our secondary was just that bad & the pass rush was non-existant :drunk:

yourfavoritetexan42
02-28-2007, 09:34 PM
Stupid move from my standpoint, but I am not on the inside so I dont know the details.

Bigtime Playmaker
Starting Tackle
Interior Depth
Starting Center
Interior D Linemen
Outside Linebacker
Cornerback
2 Safeties
Punter
Kicker

Add #2 receiver to that list... our goal in offseason is to fill holes...not create more...

El Amigo Invisible
02-28-2007, 09:36 PM
Maybe a trade up to get Calvin "The Beast" Johnson?

:marionaner: :doot: :tease: I WOULD LOVE THAT!

disaacks3
02-28-2007, 09:51 PM
The last half of the season the team only had around 2 sacks a game and over the last ten games of the season David Carr had a grand total of 2 TD passes and one of them was vs the Jets as we were down 26-3 and it was garbage time. Moulds caught 57 passes in an offense that historically never found it's wr2....I mean, how much more could he have produced? It's not like Carr was spraying the TD's around when you only have ONE TD of any consequence from the passing game in the final ten games of the year.
57 passes, higher than I thought....what was the avg. distance they were thrown to...4 yds? Nobody but AJ was getting much separation, except our TEs, when they went largely ignored by the opposing D. With our inconsistant running game, allowing too many DBs to drop into coverage, Moulds was bound to look less special w/ the Texans as he COULD have elsewhere.

Carr was quickly dumping the ball to whoever was closest and had a prayer of catching it. He had just BEGAN to look mildly comfortable when Spencer went down and then he went all happy feet / dump it quick again.

Hey, I'm in agreement that Carr will probably NEVER prosper in Houston...too many bad memories. I wouldn't be surprised if he suddenly blossomed w/ a change of scenery though.

Navy_Chris
02-28-2007, 09:53 PM
I hope the release of Moulds wasn't in any way another 'Support David Carr' decision. Let's see, an awesome 11 year veteran WR unhappy....a worthless 5 year veteran QB. Which one am I getting rid of? Hmmm......

thunderkyss
02-28-2007, 09:59 PM
was more like our secondary was just that bad & the pass rush was non-existant :drunk:

I meant his production for the whole year prior to coming to Houston. I don't doubt he missed a step, but how much, could he have possibly loss in one year??

disaacks3
02-28-2007, 10:03 PM
I hope the release of Moulds wasn't in any way another 'Support David Carr' decision. Let's see, an awesome 11 year veteran WR unhappy....a worthless 5 year veteran QB. Which one am I getting rid of? Hmmm...... Where are you people getting this stuff from??? This isn't the NBA where we even dump coaches if our "star" doesn't like them. If you think Carr was even CONSULTED about this decision, you WAYYYY over-estimate his influence.

Mr. White
02-28-2007, 10:11 PM

Well, I guess that depends on how you see things around here. If you're a Carr fan, then Moulds was just another sorry #2 WR.....On to the next failed #2 experiment.

If you don't drink the California Kool-Aid, then it's more of an indicator that our QB just can't spread the ball around. Maybe Moulds lost a step...then why even bring him in?

I'm of the opinion that Moulds is a better receiver than the Carr homers give him credit for. Between Moulds and Carr, I'd be inclined to go with Moulds. Pro-Bowls tend to give a guy the benefit of the doubt.

Originally Posted by thunderkyss

Couldn't have said it better.

Maybe you're right, but I haven't seen any indication of a youth movement yet. Not any more than any other year. That's why my original post is based off of the actions of the FO and not analysis of what somebody in the organization says.

My opinion...Moulds knows he has no chance of seeing a ball as long as Carr is QB.And this QB ain't going nowhere. We just wouldn't have paid him all that money and gave up a draft pick if we thought that he might not pan out.

texan_fan_8
02-28-2007, 11:22 PM

that was my thought.

texan_fan_8
02-28-2007, 11:40 PM
And Moulds did not live up the the hype that thread brought when we signed him. Like Carr, not all was his fault, but like many have posted, Moulds did not get the job done. Difference is Moulds gone DC here.

I don't agree with this Moulds needs a QB that can find a receiver down field and not just have AJF diesese (Andre Johnson fixation)

petedy
03-01-2007, 12:17 AM
that was my thought.

Just because they got rid of Moulds and others doesn't mean Carr will be staying. I can't believe they're going to keep Carr when Smith and Kubiak have been so critical of Carr's play.Yes, they said he is the QB but the are looking to unload him and a lot of other players as well. Kubiak wants his own players that he chooses not hold overs from the years before.He also wants them young so he can mould them to his style.If Carr is still around then Kubiak knows he can get it done but I''ll be surprise if he is just because all that was said about him and not just from you fans.

SamuraiSword
03-01-2007, 12:19 AM

All speculation aside, if we look at the moves that they are actually making, it looks like more of the same. They're not talking like it, but it looks like the FO still has blinders on when it comes to Carr.

yeah indeed the FO is making more mistakes and this keeps on getting ridiculous especially if Moulds does well some place else. If Carr comes back and still makes the same mistakes....I will be doing this all season long......:brickwall: i think i will start getting into baseball......

ComstockLode
03-01-2007, 02:00 AM
Another great move by the greatest front office in the league. My only hope is that moulds can go to the patriots like another former number 2 and do well there.

bATXle red
03-01-2007, 02:56 AM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/4592006.html

"That was a tough decision on Eric, but I really think a lot of Kevin," Kubiak said. "He's got the ability to be a starter. He's got what I like. He's tough. He's got a great work ethic. He's willing to do anything you ask of him."

so it sounds kinda like Kubiak thinks Walter could be our #2 reciever.

Malloy
03-01-2007, 04:55 AM
Yeah but at this point I no longer care about positive and negative. I want the truth. I want to see the unvarnished, no-spin truth about this team and if Moulds going somewhere and making the Texans look like shaved apes for cutting him does that then I'm all for it. Losing sucks but not knowing enough about your roster to even know when the team is screwing up bigtime sucks worse.

Although I do not always agree, the 'it's gonna get worse before it gets better' mentality mayactually fit our situation rather well. I too am tierd of all the smoke and deception, and I'm sort of irritated with seeing players from this organization go somewhere else and do well. But again you may have a point, worse first, better later.

I wonder how many bodybags this team needs before they locate the 'real' problem :)

Malloy
03-01-2007, 04:57 AM
peeve
verb, peeved, peev·ing,
–verb (used with object)
1. to render peevish; annoy.
–noun
2. a source of annoyance or irritation: Tardiness is one of my greatest peeves.
3. an annoyed or irritated mood: to be in a peeve.

[Origin: 1905–10, Americanism; back formation from peevish]

—Synonyms 2. vexation, affliction, grievance.

Runner is my pet peeve

Maddict5
03-01-2007, 05:49 AM
If you really think about it, our OL probably did pretty good. 41 sacks...we can be conservative about the number of times David pulled the ball down on a three step drop, and all the other times he pretty much sacked himself, and say 7 of those were David's fault.. that brings the total down to 34. Then consider that we should have been in the shotgun for at least 15 of those situations & say 9 of those wouldn't have resulted in the sack, and that brings it down to 23.

So our offensive line only gave up 23 sacks really...

well not really.. but kinda.

you're priceless sometimes

thunderkyss
03-01-2007, 08:30 AM
Just because they got rid of Moulds and others doesn't mean Carr will be staying. I can't believe they're going to keep Carr when Smith and Kubiak have been so critical of Carr's play.Yes, they said he is the QB but the are looking to unload him and a lot of other players as well. Kubiak wants his own players that he chooses not hold overs from the years before.He also wants them young so he can mould them to his style.If Carr is still around then Kubiak knows he can get it done but I''ll be surprise if he is just because all that was said about him and not just from you fans.

I'll agree with you there. If Carr is here, then Kubiak does believe that he can do something with him.

When you consider the $5million of cap space you save by simply cutting David after June 1st... there has to be a damn good reason he's still on the team come September.

thunderkyss
03-01-2007, 08:33 AM
Another great move by the greatest front office in the league. My only hope is that moulds can go to the patriots like another former number 2 and do well there.

Imagine if he goes to Atlanta, and takes the Falcons to the NFC Championship game.

Or if he goes to Minnesota with Plummer & Moss.

Or Miami with Harrington & Quinn.

Moulds is going to do just fine.

Navy_Chris
03-01-2007, 08:53 AM
Imagine if he goes to Atlanta, and takes the Falcons to the AFC Championship game.

Let's not all forget the 2nd Tennessee game...when Eric Moulds had single coverage ALL game long and Carr didn't even bother to look his way. This franchise makes TOO MANY concessions for David and I'm completely sick of it. I'm sure many of you are as well.

Wolfiegrrl
03-01-2007, 11:42 AM
Y'all are forgetting a few key things here.

1. Kubiak called the plays. All season long he had the entire team locked down and under his control. If the play was to do a three step drop and shoot it to AJ, then that's what happened no matter what read Carr could have had on the defense. This wasn't in place because David can't read a defense, no one on that field had total comprehension of Kubiak's game plan except for Kubiak. This was year ONE of a brand new scheme for both offense and defense.

2. #1 above worked for the first half of the season because teams didn't know what to expect from Kubiak. Once they started getting game film to study, then things started changing.

3. Kubiak is using guys that were picked by the previous coaching staff. Have y'all not learned that Casserly and Capers couldn't tell the difference between talent that could work with their scheme and the south end of a north bound dog?

4. I remember seeing Moulds drop more than a few key drive sustaining passes this last year. I'm glad he was here to get Andre's head back in the right place, but when you get old... perhaps it's time to hang up the cleats.

5. It makes no financial sense to cut or trade David Carr right now. His cap hit alone will kill us. We need all the money in the bank that we can get to be able to sign our rookies and maybe one key FA. (Please go after Clements!)

6. Have any of you read the Combine articles on Kolb? From what I read, Kubiak may have fallen in love with the guy. Kolb isn't exactly NFL ready due to the college offense he ran; however, he's a smart kid. If he's still there in the 3rd, I expect Kubiak will take him. What better plan than to let Carr take the snaps (sacks) this year and let the rookie watch? Shoot, I would hate to put anyone else behind our o-line right now.

7. Be patient. This Front Office has a better idea of what needs to be done to become a winning team. Rick Smith proved his worth to me when he was able to run out and pick up guys like Maddox when our d-line was desimated. Taking little steps to improve the entire team will create a more sturdy foundation in the long run. I would hate to have been a Panthers fan. How tweeked out are those people? Get to the NFC Championship game in year 2 then nothing for a long while. UGH!!!!

:redtowel: :fans: :texans: :logo: Go Texans!

noxiousdog
03-01-2007, 11:51 AM
I wish I had thought about it on my own, but the 610 morning guys brought up Ashlie Lelie who is an UFA.

As a #2 opposite Andre, he'd be a significiant upgrade over Moulds.

real
03-01-2007, 11:55 AM
If David is the QB next year, the number 2 reciever won't matter....

In fact if David is our QB, we'd better start looking for a number one, because AJ hasn't been exactly singing ringing endorsements for everyones favorite QB.

coachdent
03-01-2007, 12:24 PM
Imagine if he goes to Atlanta, and takes the Falcons to the AFC Championship game.

If he goes into Atlanta and "takes the Falcons to the AFC Championship game" then I will make it rain for the entire month of July. :pigfly:

First off all thunder, Atlanta is in the NFC. A little typo...I understand anger gets the best of all of us. But to your point that Eric Moulds is such the difference maker that he takes the Falcons to a championship is hilarious. How many championships did he bring Buffalo? :pigfly:

Second off all, despite throwing everyone and their brother under the bus, Mr. Moulds is not the Pro Bowl receiver of the past. Age has a way of diminishing skills. And contrary to your opnion and others, the dude doesn't have the wheels to run man-to-man routes. :drunk:

thunderkyss
03-01-2007, 12:56 PM
Y'all are forgetting a few key things here.

1. Kubiak called the plays. All season long he had the entire team locked down and under his control. If the play was to do a three step drop and shoot it to AJ, then that's what happened no matter what read Carr could have had on the defense. This wasn't in place because David can't read a defense, no one on that field had total comprehension of Kubiak's game plan except for Kubiak. This was year ONE of a brand new scheme for both offense and defense.

Take into consideration that the Capers Offensive system got simpler & simpler as the years went by. Understand also that after 2 games, Kubiak said he's going to have to scale back the offense, make it simpler, to help David get to a faster start. Then note, that he never got started till the 4th Qtr.

2. #1 above worked for the first half of the season because teams didn't know what to expect from Kubiak. Once they started getting game film to study, then things started changing.

Our game plan, up until the first Tennessee game was nothing like we ran the last 5 games of the season. David was improving, David was taking 5 step drops, David was at least turning his head, going through progressions.

After Tennessee, he had a decent game in NewYork, where he was decisive, and didn't waste time thinking about what needs to be done, and just started to do those things.

I'd like to think after that, he was told to stop thinking and just react... I think he took it the wrong way, because he started to stare down his receivers, in that Jacksonville game. It's very easy to see, and he kept doing it through the end of the year. New England really hurt him for it.

3. Kubiak is using guys that were picked by the previous coaching staff. Have y'all not learned that Casserly and Capers couldn't tell the difference between talent that could work with their scheme and the south end of a north bound dog?

We understand... but, where is your "No not Weigart" thread?? Where's your, "Not Payne" thread?? Why is it so hard to understand that David is part of that Casserly & Capers mess??

4. I remember seeing Moulds drop more than a few key drive sustaining passes this last year. I'm glad he was here to get Andre's head back in the right place, but when you get old... perhaps it's time to hang up the cleats.

I've only seen Eric drop one ball, that was against Jax... & we won that game.

5. It makes no financial sense to cut or trade David Carr right now. His cap hit alone will kill us. We need all the money in the bank that we can get to be able to sign our rookies and maybe one key FA. (Please go after Clements!)

It makes less financial sense to cut Moulds than it does to cut Carr. By cutting Carr, we are saving money. By Cutting Moulds, we're actually paying him not to play.. we don't free up any money.

6. Have any of you read the Combine articles on Kolb? From what I read, Kubiak may have fallen in love with the guy. Kolb isn't exactly NFL ready due to the college offense he ran; however, he's a smart kid. If he's still there in the 3rd, I expect Kubiak will take him. What better plan than to let Carr take the snaps (sacks) this year and let the rookie watch? Shoot, I would hate to put anyone else behind our o-line right now.

I'd rather they watch Sage... you know the guy who was yelling at Carr from the sideline, "be smart, be smart" the guy trying to help David become better..

7. Be patient. This Front Office has a better idea of what needs to be done to become a winning team. Rick Smith proved his worth to me when he was able to run out and pick up guys like Maddox when our d-line was desimated. Taking little steps to improve the entire team will create a more sturdy foundation in the long run. I would hate to have been a Panthers fan. How tweeked out are those people? Get to the NFC Championship game in year 2 then nothing for a long while. UGH!!!!

Smith proved his worth to me, when he said, "we're definitely not pleased with the play we got from the QB position"

thunderkyss
03-01-2007, 01:21 PM
If he goes into Atlanta and "takes the Falcons to the AFC Championship game" then I will make it rain for the entire month of July. :pigfly:

First off all thunder, Atlanta is in the NFC. A little typo...I understand anger gets the best of all of us. But to your point that Eric Moulds is such the difference maker that he takes the Falcons to a championship is hilarious. How many championships did he bring Buffalo? :pigfly:

Second off all, despite throwing everyone and their brother under the bus, Mr. Moulds is not the Pro Bowl receiver of the past. Age has a way of diminishing skills. And contrary to your opnion and others, the dude doesn't have the wheels to run man-to-man routes. :drunk:

First, I think Moulds+Vick is closer to a championship combination than David+AJ+Moulds

then I don't believe a player saying another player expects his franchise QB to make plays every now & again is throwing him under the bus.

And last, you should know better than any of us that speed isn't the only, nor is it the most important quality you need to look for in a receiver to run man to man routes. Look at Jerry Rice as prime example #1.

coachdent
03-01-2007, 01:42 PM
First, I think Moulds+Vick is closer to a championship combination than David+AJ+Moulds

That wasn't your original comment. You implied that Moulds' tremendous athletic prowess would somehow elevate the Falcons to a NFC championship. That is a gross overstatement and wrong.

then I don't believe a player saying another player expects his franchise QB to make plays every now & again is throwing him under the bus.

Then again, I've never been a big proponent of calling out your teammates in the media. Kinda shows the colors of a losing team.

And last, you should know better than any of us that speed isn't the only, nor is it the most important quality you need to look for in a receiver to run man to man routes. Look at Jerry Rice as prime example #1.

You are right to say that speed is not the only quality of a receiver. You are very VERY wrong to mention Eric Moulds and Jerry Rice in the same breath. One is a perennial All-Pro who HAS led his team to Super Bowls. The other has not. One player always empitomized a classy professional football player who didn't throw his teammates under the bus until AFTER his playing career was over (See his comments on T.Owens)

The Texans passing game includes a lot of vertical routes and not many double move routes. Most of the routes are one move routes and that is not what Eric Moulds does well. He is not a vertical threat anymore. He does not run explosive routes and he does not have the ability to do something with the ball after the catch. A Dontae' Stallworth/type is a much better fit in this offense than Moulds.

We all have a tendency to love those things that are leaving us. But before we start waxing nostalgic over guy, let's keep things in perspective. The Hall of Fame parking lot and dumpsters hold the place for many a player fans go gaga over who simply isn't all that and a bag o' chips!

HJam72
03-01-2007, 02:42 PM
So you have 16 posts spread out over 2 years? :ok:

What, you just log on every month and a half to say, "Carr sucks!!!"? :bubble:

infantrycak
03-01-2007, 03:05 PM
I got banned for telling it like it is. Just like Moulds got cut for telling it like it is. You can't see my LOD01 posts anymore becaue they made them invisible. That's why the new ID. Like I wouldn't figure it out. LAME.

You got banned for not obeying the terms of use.

Failing to learn the lesson--LAME

SamuraiSword
03-01-2007, 05:32 PM
The Houston Chronicle reports in a parting shot, former Texans WR Eric Moulds spoke Wednesday about what he felt limited this team's chances to succeed last season. The Texans won six games in 2006. Two more wins would have had the club on the brink of the playoffs. Moulds said it was QB David Carr who hindered the team's chances, saying that at some point "the quarterback has to show that he can carry (the team)."

Telling it like it is. Exactly what I have been saying for 2+ years now. Moulds made the scapegoat for Carr's continued sucktitude this year.

It looks like DC is on his way back and Moulds got ticked. he wanted to vent and asked for a release it seems. well that is what I see from that. Well If Kubiak can't bring a winning team with David Carr. Then i say Sayonara to Kubiak soon....

Double Barrel
03-01-2007, 07:04 PM
I would hate to have been a Panthers fan. How tweeked out are those people? Get to the NFC Championship game in year 2 then nothing for a long while. UGH!!!!

I'd love to have the Panthers history for our Texans. Conference championship game in year 2 (undefeated at home that year and won a playoff game, plus a 12-4 record), a Super Bowl appearance in year 9, and another Conference Championship game in year 11.

Let's see, we're the Houston Texans, and after five years, we have yet to go .500 in a season, much less have a winning record. And if I was a betting man, I would not put money on our team to get over the hump in 2007 at this point.

I'd say that Texans fans are about as tweeked as fans can be...well, unless you root for the Arizona Cardinals. :winky:

carter08
03-01-2007, 07:31 PM
Don't know if he's been mentioned, but Dwayne Jarrett is falling. He may be available in round 2

cook56
03-01-2007, 07:50 PM

Big name
Excitement
Reggie Bush-like

Maybe...

Please NO!

Reddevil63
03-01-2007, 07:53 PM
Don't know if he's been mentioned, but Dwayne Jarrett is falling. He may be available in round 2

Its almost a guarantee now unless he runs a 4.4 on his pro-day. Not to mention Dwayne Bowe who will probably be there also.

NFLforher
03-01-2007, 10:53 PM

??? He's 27.

ThaShark316
03-02-2007, 02:36 AM
I've been hearing about this...and i don't know...so can anyone fill me in on this...thanks.

rockabilly
03-02-2007, 03:20 AM
I want to know to.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
03-02-2007, 03:24 AM
http://forums.houstontexans.com/showpost.php?p=608216&postcount=168

http://forums.houstontexans.com/showpost.php?p=608225&postcount=170

http://forums.houstontexans.com/showpost.php?p=609565&postcount=202

TwinSisters
03-02-2007, 03:36 AM
I've been hearing about this...and i don't know...so can anyone fill me in on this...thanks.

He 'could have' broke the "Carl Pickens" clause in his contract.

He is also known for the "Carl Pickens Clause". This was a loyalty clause that the Bengals created and added to Carl Pickens contract, which would cause him to forfeit all or some of his signing bonus if he insulted the organization in public. This clause has since been used on other players.

http://www.sportslawnews.com/archive/Articles%202001/Bengalsloyaltycllausearb.htm

EDIT:
If he had one... not saying he did.

swtbound07
03-02-2007, 04:52 AM
You should reinstate LOD01 so that the fanbase here can get a better assessment of Carr's worthlessness. All my posts are backed by facts.

I say they should ban the new one...you being invisible is a good thing

Vinny
03-02-2007, 05:14 AM
You should reinstate LOD01 so that the fanbase here can get a better assessment of Carr's worthlessness. All my posts are backed by facts.I just hope I don't have to ban the new LOD01. Perhaps you need to read the forum announcement this time.This forum is about you and your thoughts, so feel free to be as positive or negative as you wish, but keep in mind that redundant arguments that are carried into each thread regardless of topic will be grounds for banning.

http://forums.houstontexans.com/announcement.php?f=11

shinerbock_girl
03-02-2007, 09:05 AM
wow...that's a bummer. I like him as a player, a leader, and a personality. Too bad if it's true.

He wasn't exactly given the ball very much either...What maybe 3 times the whole season??? I liked him when he was in Buffalo...

Mr teX
03-02-2007, 10:55 AM
Anyone who listens to 610 am every morning the day after knows that the guy takes responsibility for the team & his bad play. As for putting the team on his back & making plays:

Bills, Giants, Jax X 2 & the 2nd tenn games all come to mind where the team was in position to win it, but were lost for whatever reason. You can't put the losses this season (except for that 1st tenn game) all him.

run-david-run
03-02-2007, 01:47 PM
Anyone who listens to 610 am every morning the day after knows that the guy takes responsibility for the team & his bad play. As for putting the team on his back & making plays:

Bills, Giants, Jax X 2 & the 2nd tenn games all come to mind where the team was in position to win it, but were lost for whatever reason. You can't put the losses this season (except for that 1st tenn game) all him.
lol, you also cant falut him for the two wins you have listed (Jax x's 2)...just saying

real
03-02-2007, 01:55 PM

We swept tha Jags....

And I think I caught evry single show, and I never came away feeling that David was taking responsibility......The most I heard him say was that he needed to play better...Well that much should have been obvious....

Saying "I need to play better" does not = taking responsibilty for the team.

tulexan
03-02-2007, 01:58 PM

What about the New England game? How many turnovers did he have?

TexansLucky13
03-02-2007, 01:59 PM
Saying "I need to play better" does not = taking responsibilty for the team.

I've never heard him throw a player under the bus, either. He is a good team QB in PR respects.

real
03-02-2007, 02:02 PM
I've never heard him throw a player under the bus, either. He is a good team QB in PR respects.

Ok ? And your point ?

I've heard Peyton Manning call out his teammates on a couple occasions...

He's a better team QB....in "PR respects".

RTP2110
03-02-2007, 02:15 PM
Anyone who listens to 610 am every morning the day after knows that the guy takes responsibility for the team & his bad play. .

The idea is for him to take responsibility on the field instead of on the radio.

Long Baller
03-02-2007, 02:15 PM

I have been a season ticket holder since day one and a huge backer of Carr, but in as much as he can't take blame for these loses the fact remains that most of the time when the game is on the line he does not make a play to win it either. Except for the one 3rd down pass on the last drive of the Indy game I can't think of one game this year that he made a play down the stretch to win a game. We had time in that 2nd TENN game to drive and win prior to OT but he did not make the plays late and we settled for the FG to tie. I beleive the 3rd down play prior to the FG he had Moulds wide open in the middle and did not see him until late. Then he threw behind him rather than in stride where Moulds could have had a chance for the 1st down. After that, the legend was born where in my opinion he should never had the chance.

srstex
03-02-2007, 02:55 PM
Actually the plays no one seems to like are the ones that Kubiak calls, because he calls them all, no changing at the line, a check down once in a while later is the season, and Carr's the problem ? Team Team Team, and that includes the coaching staff. The problem with the short pass is the defense bunches up to the line and now they're in place to stop the run also, throw long, too many in the box, too much pressure, so where is the answer ? How about this, three WR sets, go deep ( 20+ yards ) 1 out of every 5 plays, a RB that see's the hole, and loosen up the defense enough that there are not 8 in the box ALL THE TIME. ANd if you want a good WR opposite AJ, Joe Horn is available.

dvs1
03-02-2007, 07:34 PM

Do you not remember the HEB commercials that he shot? He threw his entire line under the bus... for money.

NFLforher
03-02-2007, 07:51 PM
Do you not remember the HEB commercials that he shot? He threw his entire line under the bus... for money.

That's stupid. David was carrying in his groceries because he "doesn't like sacks."

dirty steve
03-02-2007, 07:53 PM
That's stupid. David was carrying in his groceries because he "doesn't like sacks."
it is called humor--what dunta said he was genuinely serious about.

Kaiser Toro
03-02-2007, 07:55 PM

Fantastic first post. The implication while doing it for money says it all. The flip side to that is Brady and his lineman being part of the gag and probably the check.

Anyone that has played sports or works in a corporate team environment understands the difference and the message it communicates to one's teammates.

tazz113
03-29-2007, 02:42 AM
Agreed....

This is sad news. He may have not had a stellar year, but DB's respect his presence on the field and they sure let up for AJ to get a lot of action this year. I would love to see Moulds in a Texans uni next year, but football is a business, and whatever is good for Kubiak is good for me.

Yea you are Right! Moulds Didnt get the action he could have had. But Kubiak Wants his boy AJ Shinning. I can tell you, (Eric) is a freind of mine an he loved Texas, the fans & being close to home. But you no if you are only gonna call on him when you need a First down- Kinda takes the wind out of your sails!:confused:

TwinSisters
03-29-2007, 05:05 AM
Moulds led the NFL in percentage of passes caught thrown his way.

78 targets 1 drop for 73%... not bad at all.

for comparison: Name - Passes thrown as target

Colts
Harrison- 137
Wayne- 148

Cowboys
Owens - 152
Glenn - 110

Bengals
Hashamanazadahma - 132
Johnson - 152

Arizona
Fitzgerald - 111
Boldin - 152

Texans
Johnson - 164
Moulds - 78

Malloy
03-29-2007, 06:06 AM
Revival of old thread.

Still sad to see Moulds leave, I think he could have been fun to watch here for a couple more years with Schaub.

Since I, and everyone else I suppose, have no clue why he left, I won't go into who's to blame for him not being here anymore.

Silver Oak
03-29-2007, 06:59 AM
I'm not sad to see him leave. He showed his true colors when he left.

Seems he would have learned a little class with his tenure in the league, but I guess not.

YellerLotYeller
03-29-2007, 08:32 AM
Regardless, we should have kept him. AJ needs someone on the other side with experience and sure hands. Kinda like when we dumped Glen, and DRob needed him to take the pressure off.

thunderkyss
03-29-2007, 09:26 AM
Moulds led the NFL in percentage of passes caught thrown his way.

78 targets 1 drop for 73%... not bad at all.

for comparison: Name - Passes thrown as target

Colts
Harrison- 137
Wayne- 148

Cowboys
Owens - 152
Glenn - 110

Bengals
Hashamanazadahma - 132
Johnson - 152

Arizona
Fitzgerald - 111
Boldin - 152

Texans
Johnson - 164
Moulds - 78

Good info...... where'd you get these stats??

SamuraiSword
03-29-2007, 09:39 AM
I'm not sad to see him leave. He showed his true colors when he left.

Seems he would have learned a little class with his tenure in the league, but I guess not.

so what do you mean show his true colors? What that he disliked Carr and threw him under the bus on the way out? Carr made Moulds look bad and I would be unhappy as well.

The Pencil Neck
03-29-2007, 09:46 AM
Good info...... where'd you get these stats??

He might have gotten them from the si.com site. I just noticed yesterday that they've got the YPC, the YAC, and the Target stats on SI. I was going to write up a post taking the YPC and subtracting the YAC to show on average how far down the field David's throws were. I actually calculated that out for everyone but decided not to post it because it was a little like piling on. I was thinking about calculating the same sort of stats for some other teams but just haven't had time, yet.

It was interesting to see the guys whose YAC was bigger than their YPC but that was just the RB's who were getting dumped to.

Mr. White
03-29-2007, 09:46 AM
Texans
Johnson - 164
Moulds - 78

Agreed. Good stuff. I always thought that he wasn't getting many looks, but this is laughable.

YellerLotYeller
03-29-2007, 09:50 AM
The difference was obvious but dam thats :bag:

infantrycak
03-29-2007, 10:30 AM
He might have gotten them from the si.com site. I just noticed yesterday that they've got the YPC, the YAC, and the Target stats on SI. I was going to write up a post taking the YPC and subtracting the YAC to show on average how far down the field David's throws were. I actually calculated that out for everyone but decided not to post it because it was a little like piling on. I was thinking about calculating the same sort of stats for some other teams but just haven't had time, yet.

It was interesting to see the guys whose YAC was bigger than their YPC but that was just the RB's who were getting dumped to.

You're taking the hard route.

Link (http://snap.stats.com/snap/pfw/nfl/leaders.asp?year=Q&type=NFL+Passing&rank=230&Submit=Go)

Out of 2767 total yards last year, 1569 were yac meaning the average ypc - yac or yards thrown per catch was 3.9 yards.

The Pencil Neck
03-29-2007, 11:14 AM

Link (http://snap.stats.com/snap/pfw/nfl/leaders.asp?year=Q&type=NFL+Passing&rank=230&Submit=Go)

Out of 2767 total yards last year, 1569 were yac meaning the average ypc - yac or yards thrown per catch was 3.9 yards.

Well, it's the story of my life taking the hard route.

But think about what this says. If you take the average yards per catch for a QB and subtract the average yards after catch for a QB, it gives you the average length of throw for a QB.

If I take the top 8 people on that list (which includes Carr) and calculate the average throw length (for caught balls) you get:

Favre - 5.14
Brees - 6.54
Bulger - 6.36
Kitna - 6.39
Brady - 5.65
Carr - 3.97
Roethlisberger - 7.05
Palmer - 7.73

Now, we all KNEW that we had a dink & dunk offense but this just underlines that.

Sorry, I just find stuff like this interesting.

thunderkyss
03-29-2007, 11:42 AM

Makes me want to puke.

Silver Oak
03-29-2007, 11:45 AM
so what do you mean show his true colors? What that he disliked Carr and threw him under the bus on the way out? Carr made Moulds look bad and I would be unhappy as well.

How did DC make him look bad? Carr can and has taken his hits (justifiably so) for his shortcomings, but if he could have got the ball to Moulds, I'm sure he would have.

What good can come from explaining the reason you're leaving is the qb didn't throw you enough catchable balls? Seriously...what good can come from that? If he's concerned about his rep first and foremost, then that is yet another reason I'm glad he's gone.

quicksilver
03-29-2007, 01:18 PM
Yea you are Right! Moulds Didnt get the action he could have had. But Kubiak Wants his boy AJ Shinning. I can tell you, (Eric) is a freind of mine an he loved Texas, the fans & being close to home. But you no if you are only gonna call on him when you need a First down- Kinda takes the wind out of your sails!:confused:

I wonder how Moulds feels now having quit the team only to see the Texans then acquire a QB who will use more than one receiver and will get the ball more than 3.9 yards down the field?

Mr. White
03-29-2007, 01:45 PM
I wonder how Moulds feels now having quit the team only to see the Texans then acquire a QB who will use more than one receiver and will get the ball more than 3.9 yards down the field?

I've thought the same thing myself.

I can only assume that the Texans told him that they didn't have a plan to get rid of Carr at the time and he told them that wasn't a good enough answer for him.

I think that they were prepared to start the season with Carr on the team if the right deal didn't come along. Eric probably didn't want to take any chances on having another season like the last one.

Lucky
03-29-2007, 01:52 PM
I can only assume that the Texans told him that they didn't have a plan to get rid of Carr at the time and he told them that wasn't a good enough answer for him.
Maybe, just maybe, the Texans didn't want Carr or Moulds. Food for thought...

The Pencil Neck
03-29-2007, 02:32 PM
Maybe, just maybe, the Texans didn't want Carr or Moulds. Food for thought...

Yep. That's what I've been thinking.

Schaub_to AJ_YES!
03-29-2007, 04:03 PM
Well, it's the story of my life taking the hard route.

But think about what this says. If you take the average yards per catch for a QB and subtract the average yards after catch for a QB, it gives you the average length of throw for a QB.

If I take the top 8 people on that list (which includes Carr) and calculate the average throw length (for caught balls) you get:

Favre - 5.14
Brees - 6.54
Bulger - 6.36
Kitna - 6.39
Brady - 5.65
Carr - 3.97
Roethlisberger - 7.05
Palmer - 7.73

Now, we all KNEW that we had a dink & dunk offense but this just underlines that.

Sorry, I just find stuff like this interesting.

Not at all surprising that the bust had the lowest number.

SamuraiSword
03-29-2007, 04:51 PM
How did DC make him look bad? Carr can and has taken his hits (justifiably so) for his shortcomings, but if he could have got the ball to Moulds, I'm sure he would have.

What good can come from explaining the reason you're leaving is the qb didn't throw you enough catchable balls? Seriously...what good can come from that? If he's concerned about his rep first and foremost, then that is yet another reason I'm glad he's gone.

its because all Carr was able to do is lock on Andre. He would quickly look for moulds then throw the ball to Andre. I am glad Carr is gone. We have a real QB who looks downfield and throws more that five yards. :dance2:

Silver Oak
03-29-2007, 08:44 PM
I hope you're right brother!

Hopefully qb will be a position that we can take for granted for good predictable results for a number of years.