PDA

View Full Version : Seth Payne Released...per David Dalatti

liamrock
02-28-2007, 12:45 PM
Just heard on 790....Payne was interviewed and was released by Texans this morning.

Tailgate
02-28-2007, 12:47 PM
Good luck to Seth. He always gave 110%. I will always remember how devastating it was to lose him for the season in that N.O. game a couple of years back.

Double Barrel
I suspect the first of many cuts to come.

Good luck to Seth, tho'. Hope he finds a starting job outside of our division.

Lucky
One of my favorite players. Just couldn't stay on the field. Good luck, Seth.

Meloy
02-28-2007, 12:49 PM
Enjoyed him. Too bad he got hurt so often, he could have been one of the greats. I guess this means he refused a restructured contract.

Maddict5
02-28-2007, 12:54 PM
adios, a good cut to make even if it was a classy guy..hopefully he'll get 1 more payday

keyfro
02-28-2007, 12:55 PM
if he can't play anymore i think he would be a perfect guy to bring in as an assistant d-line coach

real
02-28-2007, 12:56 PM
Good Luck Seth....

Sucks that it couldn't work out...

DRAMA
02-28-2007, 12:57 PM
I like Seth as well. However, we need to start ridding ourselves of the old regime. It doesn't mean you dislike a player to say they're 'infected' but our old mentality was infected with losing.

I believe Kubiak will bring in the right people to alleviate us from that mindframe but unfortunately, it means getting rid of some of the people we all like personally.

Blu
02-28-2007, 01:01 PM
From day one he has been the best noseguard /DT out the bunch. Sad to see him go, but it needs to be done to better this dline.
Hope he lands somewhere fast and has an injury free carrer from here on out.

Good Luck Seth!

Vinny
02-28-2007, 01:04 PM
I smell at DT at 8

kcwilson
02-28-2007, 01:11 PM
High above Cayuga's waters... Seth will be fine... he is Big Red material!

Maddict5
02-28-2007, 01:13 PM
I smell at DT at 8

hmmm...you could be right but maybe it might be making room for weaver at dt also..and a DE at #8??

kcwilson
02-28-2007, 01:18 PM
hmmm...you could be right but maybe it might be making room for weaver at dt also..and a DE at #8??

Or, it could be that Payne is overpaid for his health status and that we just had to spend our money better but has nothing to do with the draft pick until we get through Free Agency and the cuts/releases of all teams.

real
02-28-2007, 01:21 PM
I smell at DT at 8

Okoye Maybe ?

I'm guessing that because of the personnel on our line he'd be the best choice...

That way we wouldn't have to rely on Weaver getting pressure from the DE spot...We'd have someone that could get pressure from inside...???

hellbentforfootball
I smell at DT at 8

Especially if Minn selects Quinn...hmm

texasguy346
I wish Seth the best of luck. He's a classy guy & will be missed. I'm sure the Browns or 49ers would be interested in his services. The 49ers sure have enough cap room to add some quality defensive players like Payne to their roster this offseason.

Vinny
Does anyone know how much dead money this adds to the cap?

TexansLucky13
02-28-2007, 01:25 PM

Too much!

:thud:

Good luck Seth! I always liked the guy.

Lucky
02-28-2007, 01:26 PM

Payne had two years left on a contract that gave him a $4.5 million bonus. So, that means he still had $2.25 million left to be amortizied. Since Payne would have drawn a $3.2 million salary for '07, the Texans saved money against the cap.

2BCF
02-28-2007, 01:27 PM
Bummer.
I too liked Seth, wish he coulda stayed more injury-free.

Thank You Seth! And good luck to you in the future!

Errant Hothy
02-28-2007, 01:29 PM
I smell at DT at 8

I do to, but DT's bust nearly as often as QBs so i'm a little cautious about this. For every Kevin Williams (kid form OSU no in Minn) you get a...well...a Travis Johnson.

kiwitexansfan
02-28-2007, 01:29 PM
Good Luck Seth.

A good DT for us when he was on the field.

Arky
02-28-2007, 01:30 PM
Moulds is gone, too (released).... just announced on 790

Kaiser Toro
02-28-2007, 01:31 PM
Vaya con dios Seth. Appreciated the effort that he gave on every play.

Errant Hothy
02-28-2007, 01:31 PM

Really, now that's a tad surprising to me.

Porky
02-28-2007, 01:33 PM
I really like Seth. Sorry to see him go.

I guess a DT is ok, but haven't we drafted enough first rd d line bust over the past few years? TJ, Babin, and now Mario, and not one is worth it. We can find a tackle in FA or later in the draft. I say go a new direction.

HJam72
02-28-2007, 01:35 PM
This would be a good time for Carr to blame all his problems on Seth Payne....if he can figure out how to do that.

Maddict5
02-28-2007, 01:37 PM
Moulds is surprising (to me anyway)

still remember when he got the td v the eagles...best moment of 2006

TexansLucky13
Payne had two years left on a contract that gave him a $4.5 million bonus. So, that means he still had $2.25 million left to be amortizied. Since Payne would have drawn a $3.2 million salary for '07, the Texans saved money against the cap.

Sweet! I didn't realize that. :yes:

Reddevil63
and now Mario
Im starting to wonder if you have any clue what your typing half of the time

The Pencil Neck
02-28-2007, 01:38 PM

That surprises me.

El Tejano
02-28-2007, 01:38 PM

That's a joke right? I mean really, that's a joke right?

Texans34Life
02-28-2007, 01:44 PM
Wow, once Carr goes, we have the new and improved Houston Texans!

uhcougar08
02-28-2007, 01:44 PM
I smell at DT at 8

I have told many people, and have posted on here a couple of times that Amobi Okoye is the guy at #8. It just makes too much sense to me. Let's see if I am right come April.

HuttoKarl
02-28-2007, 01:59 PM

Or it could mean LaRon Landry - Houston Texan - at #8 and we find a DT in the second round or later or in FA.

Errant Hothy
02-28-2007, 02:01 PM
I really like Seth. Sorry to see him go.

I guess a DT is ok, but haven't we drafted enough first rd d line bust over the past few years? TJ, Babin, and now Mario, and not one is worth it. We can find a tackle in FA or later in the draft. I say go a new direction.

Yup cause Mario was just a huge bust, yup that's about as asinine as the Carr for Pro-Bowl comments a from earlyy in the season.

Texans_Chick
02-28-2007, 02:01 PM
Good luck to Seth. There goes one of the hardest workers and well liked members of the team, and a guy who was great in the community.

I love guys who maximize whatever abilities they have.

texans83
02-28-2007, 02:04 PM
great guy good luck seth

Silver Oak
02-28-2007, 02:04 PM
This would be a good time for Carr to blame all his problems on Seth Payne....if he can figure out how to do that.

hmmmm....it took to page two before this was turned into another DC bashing. :shades:

ThaShark316
02-28-2007, 02:06 PM
Good luck to Seth....dude was doin some work for us when healthy.

nunusguy
02-28-2007, 02:06 PM
Wonder if he might retire, or looks elsewhere to play atleast another year ?

texasguy346
02-28-2007, 02:10 PM
Wonder if he might retire, or looks elsewhere to play atleast another year ?

I think he can still find work as a NT for one of the 3-4 teams. If I had to venture a guess I'd say the 49ers will snatch him up. He can start there & perhaps they'll pick up a young DT/NT type in the draft with one of their many picks who will eventually replace Payne.

Nawzer
02-28-2007, 02:29 PM
Seth was one of my favorite players. Sad to see him go but hopefully he'll catch on with another team. When healthy he really pushed the pocket and he was an important player for us.

Porky
02-28-2007, 02:45 PM
Yup cause Mario was just a huge bust, yup that's about as asinine as the Carr for Pro-Bowl comments a from earlyy in the season.

He was touted as being better than Peppers, and was the #1 overall pick.

Do you think he lived up to either of those billings?

I said he wasn't worth it. If you think he was worth the #1 overall, I want some of what you've been smoking. :ok:

mikey21
02-28-2007, 02:46 PM
i always liked payne, great work ethic and a true professional, i hope he lands on his feet

Reddevil63
02-28-2007, 02:47 PM

I said he wasn't worth it. If you think he was worth the #1 overall, I want some of what you've been smoking. :ok:
And you are able to tell that after 1 season, half of which he played on one foot?

Errant Hothy
02-28-2007, 02:48 PM

Guy played most of a season with a bad foot injury, and you think he's a bust. Was he worth the #1, not certain yet I'll give him pass for most of last year due to the foot thing.

Riddle me this, how #1 picks are actually worthy of being #1?

Paragon Blue
02-28-2007, 02:49 PM
Met him one time, class act. Good luck Seth!

Maddict5
02-28-2007, 02:50 PM

we all remember who you wanted..take your hater-aide elsewhere (you know like...um NO )

dirty steve
02-28-2007, 02:53 PM
we all remember who you wanted..take your hater-aide elsewhere (you know like...um NO )

exactly--mario had 4.5 sacks and was hurt almost the whole year. i had rather have a guy like that than a WR who moonlights as an RB.

Porky
02-28-2007, 04:08 PM

This has nothing to do with Bush. Casserly came out and said our scouts thought Mario was better than Peppers. The injury is an excuse for the homers. Prior to the foot injury he wasn't better than Peppers. He simply was not an impact player. In fact, on some plays a TE was manhandling hinm one on one. So, ya I can draw some conclusions. All of you can keep up your homerism. Have fun with that. I comment on what I see.

As to the word bust, it depends on your defination. Do I think he can play in the NFL. Sure. I think he can be quite good in fact. But, do I think he will be a game changing true impact player. At this point, I saw enough to say no.

I hope to be pleasently surprised though.

HuttoKarl
02-28-2007, 04:11 PM
This has nothing to do with Bush. Casserly came out and said our scouts thought Mario was better than Peppers. The injury is an excuse for the homers. Prior to the foot injury he wasn't better than Peppers. He simply was not an impact player. In fact, on some plays a TE was manhandling hinm one on one. So, ya I can draw some conclusions. All of you can keep up your homerism. Have fun with that. I comment on what I see.

Didn't he get injured in like the 4th game of the season? That's not a whole lot of time to become acclimated to the NFL, in my opinion.

SESupergenius
02-28-2007, 04:24 PM
He was a good player to watch.......when he played. He just couldn't stay healthy enough to be an impact player. Barring injuries, he was one of the Texans' best players, inside and out.

the draft is wide open at this point, but once FA starts pieces will fall into place.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
02-28-2007, 04:38 PM
Good luck to you Seth.

dirty steve
02-28-2007, 04:39 PM

As to the word bust, it depends on your defination. Do I think he can play in the NFL. Sure. I think he can be quite good in fact. But, do I think he will be a game changing true impact player. At this point, I saw enough to say no.

alot of us can see stuff realistic that were OK with the team taking other certain player(s), and arent homers for it. that is where alot of your agenda comes from. it would be OK for 5 or 10 to be subpar and healthy, but mario showed flashes this year but didnt set the all time sack record and some want to call him a bust. unless you forgot, mario is a ROOKIE. give the guy more than 16 games before you start calling him a bust or not worth the pick. whether you like it or not, the injury probably did play a factor in his acceleration off the line of scrimmage and the amount of push he was able to get.

so whatever "your" definition is, it is fair no matter the player to give him more than a year before hanging him up to dry.

Porky
02-28-2007, 05:07 PM
alot of us can see stuff realistic that were OK with the team taking other certain player(s), and arent homers for it. that is where alot of your agenda comes from. it would be OK for 5 or 10 to be subpar and healthy, but mario showed flashes this year but didnt set the all time sack record and some want to call him a bust. unless you forgot, mario is a ROOKIE. give the guy more than 16 games before you start calling him a bust or not worth the pick. whether you like it or not, the injury probably did play a factor in his acceleration off the line of scrimmage and the amount of push he was able to get.

so whatever "your" definition is, it is fair no matter the player to give him more than a year before hanging him up to dry.

The reason I say homers is because outside of this message board, the general opinion is Mario did not live up to his billing. I am not thinking he will be a flat out bust, but I also don't think he will be better than Peppers. I doubt he even comes close to Peppers level of play. One mans disapointed is another mans bust. All depends on how you want to throw around the word. As for his injury, I know that was a factor, but he was a big fat zero when healthy. Let's see how he progresses this year, but as for last year only, yes, he was a bust imo.

Wolf
02-28-2007, 05:17 PM
well it is a good thing Mario came out as a junior

thunderkyss
02-28-2007, 05:21 PM

ARe you seriously telling me that a TE has never blocked Peppers one on one??

In Peppers Rookie season??

whatever.

dirty steve
02-28-2007, 05:35 PM
The reason I say homers is because outside of this message board, the general opinion is Mario did not live up to his billing. I am not thinking he will be a flat out bust, but I also don't think he will be better than Peppers. I doubt he even comes close to Peppers level of play. One mans disapointed is another mans bust. All depends on how you want to throw around the word. As for his injury, I know that was a factor, but he was a big fat zero when healthy. Let's see how he progresses this year, but as for last year only, yes, he was a bust imo.
i just dont understand that line of thinking. a bust requires year after year of uninspired or inconsistent play. it is really hard fight an injury while you are also being double teamed and are the focus of the other teams gameplan along the D-Line. if you were expecting williams to have 12 sacks like peppers did in his first year, then i think your expectations far exceeded the expected return. it also helps that peppers had guys like rucker, buckner, and kris jenkins playing on the same line and williams had players like maddox, cochran, killings, and babin. you really have to consider factors like that.

Jwwillis
02-28-2007, 07:01 PM

You can't label ANYONE a bust after ONE season, much less a DE. But there is a big space between (#1pick...........Bust)

Hervoyel
02-28-2007, 07:52 PM
It's a pity we can't transplant Payne's motor and heart into Travis Johnsons young body. If he was a fraction of the player Seth was then he'd have made everyone forget about Derrick Johnson pretty quickly. As things stand however I hate to see a real warrior depart when we have so many holes to fill.

My mind tells me that Seth was getting on in years and having trouble staying healthy but my heart tells me it's time to move on. Of course my eyes then chime in tell me that what we have left isn't exactly something to get excited about.

I am still hoping they make a serious run at a LT in the first. Trade up, trade down, I don't care anymore. Take somebody that can play the damned position and get this over with.

edo783
02-28-2007, 08:24 PM
It's a pity we can't transplant Payne's motor and heart into Travis Johnsons young body. If he was a fraction of the player Seth was then he'd have made everyone forget about Derrick Johnson pretty quickly.

I am still hoping they make a serious run at a LT in the first. Trade up, trade down, I don't care anymore. Take somebody that can play the damned position and get this over with.

Man, those are real good thoughts Hervoyel and spot on. Good post IMO.

dirty steve
02-28-2007, 09:57 PM
You can't label ANYONE a bust after ONE season, much less a DE. But there is a big space between (#1pick...........Bust)
i tried talking the same sense into him...i guess the fact that he has played only one season is reason enough to call him a bust.

infantrycak
02-28-2007, 11:04 PM
It's a pity we can't transplant Payne's motor and heart into Travis Johnsons young body. If he was a fraction of the player Seth was then he'd have made everyone forget about Derrick Johnson pretty quickly.

Can I play this game?

Your spot on with number one--Payne's smarts and motor in TJ's body.

#2--Babin's instincts in Peek's body.

#3--Pennington's instincts in Carr's body.

Three transmogrifications and I bet the Texans had a winning season in the last few years.

tulexan
02-28-2007, 11:07 PM
Can I play this game?

Your spot on with number one--Payne's smarts and motor in TJ's body.

#2--Babin's instincts in Peek's body.

#3--Pennington's instincts in Carr's body.

Three transmogrifications and I bet the Texans had a winning season in the last few years.

Maybe the Chargers can put Chris Taylor's skills in LaDainian Tomlinson's body. Then he would be good.

South Texan
03-01-2007, 12:32 AM
Can't say I didn't see this one coming, mainly because of the health problems. I think Seth did a good job for us though when he was in there, and I wish him the best.

As far as Mario being a bust, I think we need to see him playing healthy for a year to make a judgement on that. Even with the injury he played with most of the year, he seemed to be catching on late in the year. And he also seemed to be making some "heads up" plays like pass deflections, etc. Let's see if he "settles in" this year.

dbspi
03-01-2007, 01:46 AM
I smell at DT at 8

I agree with you Vinny. I remember last year in training Kubiak was saying we needed some one who can collapse the pocket from DT position. I have a feeling that we will end up with Okoye or Branch and I think this is definitely possible if AP is selected before us.

dalemurphy
03-01-2007, 05:36 AM
I agree with you Vinny. I remember last year in training Kubiak was saying we needed some one who can collapse the pocket from DT position. I have a feeling that we will end up with Okoye or Branch and I think this is definitely possible if AP is selected before us.

I'm seeing a definite trade down. We already had a lot of holes to fill. Now, we have a ton. I think this was done partly because Smith feels confident they'll be able to trade down and grab a couple extra picks. My guess is we cang trade down into the mid-teens and someone like Levi Brown, Kahlil, or Okoye will be there. Or, we may trade down a couple of times and end up with a late first and as many as 7 picks in rounds 2-4.

thunderkyss
03-01-2007, 08:27 AM
I'm seeing a definite trade down. We already had a lot of holes to fill. Now, we have a ton. I think this was done partly because Smith feels confident they'll be able to trade down and grab a couple extra picks. My guess is we cang trade down into the mid-teens and someone like Levi Brown, Kahlil, or Okoye will be there. Or, we may trade down a couple of times and end up with a late first and as many as 7 picks in rounds 2-4.

Nobody wanted to trade into the top 10 last year. Why should we think they'd want to this year??

edo783
03-01-2007, 10:12 AM
Assuming we don't trade up or down (kind of a big assumption I know) we will likely take a DT (Okoye most likely) or Landry at the 8 spot and frankly I'm good with either. I would prefer a LT, but I doubt either Thomas or Brown will be there anyway and the rest are not worth the 8 pick. The only fly in this ointment IMO, is how bad does the team want a RB. Ap will almost certainly be gone, but will Lynch be what they want?