PDA

View Full Version : RUMOR: Trading Down for Peterson

VaBandWaggonFan
02-27-2007, 09:16 PM
What do you think??

RB Adrian Peterson appears to be the Cleveland Browns favorite pick at No. 3 should they stay put. But, according to the Dayton Daily News, the Texans are interested in moving up the draft board for a shot at Peterson and could propose a trade to the Browns that would send starting QB David Carr and draft picks to Cleveland for the No. 3 position.

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/NFL_SC-RUMOR

powerfuldragon
02-27-2007, 09:17 PM
it's nice to think about, but i doubt the texans will do anything to move up in the draft this year.

TexanFan881
02-27-2007, 09:20 PM
David Carr and draft picks? I'd have to think twice about David Carr and our 1st for their 1st.

staind755
02-27-2007, 09:28 PM
I know we have a ton of holes, BUT I would send damn near anything Cleveland wanted. Carr and picks that is... Gosh I wish the draft was this weekend.

VaBandWaggonFan
02-27-2007, 09:31 PM
David Carr and draft picks? I'd have to think twice about David Carr and our 1st for their 1st.

:pigfly:
Moving up 5 spots (to #3 over all) for Dave Carr, Is there a better deal out there?

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
02-27-2007, 09:33 PM
:pigfly:
Moving up 5 spots for Dave Carr, I there a better deal out there?

Rick Smith would be GM of the Year if he could trick the Browns into this. :doot:

Hervoyel
02-27-2007, 09:35 PM
I'd swap firsts and throw in David Carr to get to the top spot. At the most I'd be willing to send an additional 4.

I know that wouldn't get it done but that's what I think the move up is worth. I just don't think we can afford to give up too much in draft picks to do this and I really, really would like to see the Texans do this. I just can't make my brain agree that it's the ticket.

run-david-run
02-27-2007, 10:08 PM
There is always the hope that Cleveland picks a QB and AP falls to us, which I think is a real possibility. Brady Quinn is the hometown kid, while the Browns GM is on the record for loving Russell and saying the Browns would draft him (I know, smokescreens), so nothing is a forgone conclusion. But if its the #8 and DC, the I would do it.

TexanSam
02-27-2007, 10:09 PM
I'd send David Carr, our 1st and 3rd round picks this year and our 2nd round pick next year.

CowboysTexansFan
02-27-2007, 10:22 PM
I'd send David Carr, our 1st and 3rd round picks this year and our 2nd round pick next year.

Thank goodness you're not our GM. That's the sort of trade Casserly would make.

beerlover
02-27-2007, 10:25 PM
What do you think??

RB Adrian Peterson appears to be the Cleveland Browns favorite pick at No. 3 should they stay put. But, according to the Dayton Daily News, the Texans are interested in moving up the draft board for a shot at Peterson and could propose a trade to the Browns that would send starting QB David Carr and draft picks to Cleveland for the No. 3 position.

I think its more likey the Texans could trade Carr to Cleveland to swap 2nd rd. picks :pigfly: this is really pushing it but maybe even 3rd rd. picks too :marionaner:

uhcougar08
02-27-2007, 10:30 PM
Give them rounds 1 through 7, and Carr for Peterson. Just get Peterson!!!!

thetexanator
02-27-2007, 10:45 PM
save the picks, trade DOWN and pick up lynch.

mexican_texan
02-27-2007, 10:48 PM
I know Casserly read the boards, but I didn't know he posted, too.

stingray
02-27-2007, 10:50 PM
Carr and our eight for Browns third and their fith round.

kiwitexansfan
02-27-2007, 11:30 PM
I really, really hope that this doesn't happen.

We can't afford to be giving out draft picks with all our needs.

Second Honeymoon
02-27-2007, 11:43 PM

Are you f'ing kidding me? For someone to take that albatross of a player and contract from us would be a gift from the gods much less to actually move up 5 spots in the 1st Round in order to guarantee a shot at either Petersen, C.Johnson or Joe Thomas. This is a total pipe dream regretfully.

I am resigned to the sad fact that the Texans are too stupid and/or stubborn to bring about real change to this franchise. Carr is gonna be under center and we are going to continue to be under .500.

oh well, McNair still gets paid and sticks by his cabana boy....

sometimes McNair seems to care more about PR and other non-football BS more than he seems to care about the product on the field.

Texas_Thrill
02-27-2007, 11:46 PM
Are ya'll serious?

Take Joe Thomas or Calvin Johnson if he's there.

Johnson and Johnson.

Second Honeymoon
02-27-2007, 11:48 PM
I know Casserly read the boards, but I didn't know he posted, too.

haha

i could possibly invision our #8 pick, Carr and a 2nd Round next year to the Browns for their #3 pick. I think that is a win win for both franchises. The browns make a small improvement at QB and get a 2nd round next year. We get a top notch player at a position of need and only give up a pick next year to move up. It would probably take a 3rd this year and a 2nd next year as well though.

oh well, i hope Rick Smith stands up and demands change.

If we can't make this happen, we need to hope that Quinn falls to us at #8 and we get a pretty damn good QB prospect with good value at #8.

Second Honeymoon
02-27-2007, 11:49 PM
Are ya'll serious?

Take Joe Thomas or Calvin Johnson if he's there.

Johnson and Johnson.

Johnson and Johnson practically sells itself. Two freaks of nature on the field at once. Those guys are unparalleled athletically and maybe CJ's hands can rub off on AJ....oh wait that didn't come out right

OT- That avatar of yours Texas Thrill is hilarious. It took me a couple passes to notice it but pretty sweet.

kiwitexansfan
02-27-2007, 11:52 PM
If we had the 3 pick I would be hoping for Thomas. Peterson would be second on my list then Johnson.

Wouldn't trade up for any of them though..... well maybe Thomas for a 7th :pigfly:

Vinny
02-27-2007, 11:55 PM
http://forums.houstontexans.com/showthread.php?t=35656

GP
02-28-2007, 09:06 AM
"RB Adrian Peterson appears to be the Cleveland Browns favorite pick at No. 3 should they stay put. But, according to the Dayton Daily News, the Texans are interested in moving up the draft board for a shot at Peterson and could propose a trade to the Browns that would send starting QB David Carr and draft picks to Cleveland for the No. 3 position. "

link: http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/NFL_SC-RUMOR

This was dated 2/26/07

Sportsfan
02-28-2007, 09:10 AM
Interesting. We'll see what pans out after free agency and as the draft approaches. I don't put a lot of stock into all of these "reports" at this point.

Exithios
02-28-2007, 09:13 AM
"RB Adrian Peterson appears to be the Cleveland Browns favorite pick at No. 3 should they stay put. But, according to the Dayton Daily News, the Texans are interested in moving up the draft board for a shot at Peterson and could propose a trade to the Browns that would send starting QB David Carr and draft picks to Cleveland for the No. 3 position. "

link: http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/NFL_SC-RUMOR

This was dated 2/26/07

I heard something about this on 610 about 30 minutes ago. It was a sports columnist but I caught it toward the end so I never heard a name. Basicly, what I heard is that it may not be the popular choice "at first" but it could be a good marketing decision by the FO to sell their product for years to come seeing as AP would likely be the face of our franchise.

I beleive that train of thought by the front office wouldn't be so far fetched. Who is the face of our franchise at the moment? David Carr? Andre Johnson?

real
02-28-2007, 09:15 AM
http://forums.houstontexans.com/showthread.php?t=35723

http://forums.houstontexans.com/showthread.php?t=35656

nunusguy
02-28-2007, 09:23 AM
but it could be a good marketing decision by the FO to sell their product for years to come seeing as AP would likely be the face of our franchise.

Do you mean like if they would have drafted VY or Bush in 2006 ?
I dunno, but the guys in the Texans FO don't appear to be the sharpest knives in the drawer. But with 2007 season-tickets sales starting to take a hit,
this concept might be belatedly dawning upon their collective mindset.

Errant Hothy
02-28-2007, 09:27 AM
I dunno, but the guys in the Texans FO don't appear to be the sharpest knives in the drawer. But with 2007 season-tickets sales starting to take a hit,

Dude, the current GM wasn't even in teh FO for last year's draft.

As for ticket sales I could have sworn I heard that they were up from last year, not down.

TexanSam
02-28-2007, 09:28 AM
Looks like the Texans really like Adrian Peterson. My question is, if they traded up to the 3rd spot and Calvin Johnson was still on the board, would they consider taking him instead?

Meloy
02-28-2007, 09:31 AM
this concept might be belatedly dawning upon their collective mindset.What source are you quoting showing ticket sales are down? Or is this just your opinion? In one of the threads I reviewed yesterday, another poster quoted a source for the Texans saying tickets sales were ok and a waiting list remains. Also, if Carr is traded who is the replacement? Another thread mentioned a sport analyst with the NFL (I believe) saying his source said Carr is going nowhere in 2007. ABC supposedly backed this guy up. Allegedly the Texans do not see a QB in first round better than Carr. Plummer is also allegedly off the market as Vikings are willing to give Denver a pick in a trade rather than take chances on him being available in free agency.

nunusguy
02-28-2007, 09:31 AM
Dude, the current GM wasn't even in teh FO for last year's draft.

In case you hadn't heard, same owner.

TexansLucky13
02-28-2007, 09:32 AM

Come back in 5 years and say that. Ten bucks says either VY or RB are no longer in the league at that time. Just a hunch.

Meloy
02-28-2007, 09:36 AM
Looks like the Texans really like Adrian Peterson. My question is, if they traded up to the 3rd spot and Calvin Johnson was still on the board, would they consider taking him instead?Good question, here is my take. Another AJ type of receiver will do little to allow Carr time to throw. IMO, only a quality LT or a quality back will buy QB time to be successful. Johnson will be a + for any team but does not fit our needs. Also, WR appears deep and one could be picked in later rounds. In my picks, one is not considered before 6th round if that. AJ, Moulds, Walters and our TEs should be successful if healthy. Peterson can also catch the ball.

TEXANRED
02-28-2007, 09:36 AM
HoustonTexans/messageboard/.com have reported sources close to TEXANRED claim he may buy the winning lottery ticket tonight. Stay close as this story develops.

GP
02-28-2007, 09:37 AM
Sorry for repeating something that is in the NFL forum. I don't look through many threads or posts in the NFL section...so I didn't know it had been discussed elsewhere.

This deal would leave us with a hole at QB, and it would mean that we sit a rookie while an aged veteran (Rosenfels) takes the snaps until the rookie is ready.

Unless we acquire a QB in free agency.

Errant Hothy
02-28-2007, 09:37 AM
In case you hadn't heard, same owner.

NO, really.

Who's not Jerry Jones, and therefore tenads to NOT make football desicions. Cal McNair what you will but he lets teh FO run the team; ans there is a difference between FO and owner.

TexanSam
02-28-2007, 09:38 AM
Good question, here is my take. Another AJ type of receiver will do little to allow Carr time to throw. IMO, only a quality LT or a quality back will buy QB time to be successful. Johnson will be a + for any team but does not fit our needs. Also, WR appears deep and one could be picked in later rounds. In my picks, one is not considered before 6th round if that. AJ, Moulds, Walters and our TEs should be successful if healthy. Peterson can also catch the ball.

I kind of agree, but Calvin Johnson just looks special. Probably the most talented WR to enter the draft in years. I don't think Moulds is the answer as the #2 WR. He's getting up there in age. AJ, CJ, and Moulds would be a formidable tandem. If the Texans do trade up at #3 though, lord knows they'll enough quality players too choose from.

Marcus
02-28-2007, 09:41 AM
I can't believe some of you actually think the Texans would trade up from the 8th spot to get anyone.

If they did that, they'd have to give up their 1st and 2nd this year, plus probably their 1st and 2nd next year. And throwing Carr into the mix wouldn't be worth squat.

The Texans are taking BPA with the 8th pick. Period. (But I guess that would be too boring, right?)

:whew

El Amigo Invisible
02-28-2007, 09:43 AM
This sounds like a bad trade to me.

Meloy
02-28-2007, 09:51 AM
I can't believe some of you actually think the Texans would trade up from the 8th spot to get anyone.

If they did that, they'd have to give up their 1st and 2nd this year, plus probably their 1st and 2nd next year. And throwing Carr into the mix wouldn't be worth squat.

The Texans are taking BPA with the 8th pick. Period. (But I guess that would be too boring, right?)

:whewThe 3rd spot can be had for less than you state IMO, but I do agree that the odds favor Htown staying @ 8 and not moving up. Most posters seem to think we have too many holes to fill to give up any picks. Our first and DC would not be enough to get the 3rd pick from me.

texans83
02-28-2007, 10:01 AM
Ok but what if the trade was this our 8 for their 3 plus carr and our number or 4 which ever one prob three. would you then think it would be a good trade?

Double Barrel
02-28-2007, 10:20 AM
What source are you quoting showing ticket sales are down? Or is this just your opinion? In one of the threads I reviewed yesterday, another poster quoted a source for the Texans saying tickets sales were ok and a waiting list remains.

I just talked to my season ticket agent, and he said seats are available all over Reliant. No waiting list, so take it FWIW. idonno:

I think the FO says ticket sales are great every year as part of standard operating procedure.

Maddict5
02-28-2007, 10:22 AM

My little brother is the editor of that paper...il give him a call and ask who their source is:ok:

tsip
02-28-2007, 10:24 AM
Browns trade for Carr? Why would they do this? Carr has played some of his worse football against them- 6 sacks in '04 and 86 yds in '06.

Too, the Browns have less to surround Carr with than we do and everyone knows David can not-if at all-improve his play unless his team mates are all-pro.

JMO, but I don't think other teams are knocking our door down to get Carr. What are they going to get? Even if they can surround Carr with better players, no one knows if Carr can produce and why would a team want him as a back-up, especially at $7million.

No, IMO Carr is here to stay because that's the only option we have...

Roughnecks
02-28-2007, 10:31 AM
But the Browns have the cap space to put players around him.

real
02-28-2007, 10:33 AM
Would you guys trade Carr, our 2nd and 4th for the 3rd overall ?

Without swapping picks ?

So we'd have the 3rd and 8th pick ?

santo
02-28-2007, 10:37 AM

Without swapping picks ?

If it means getting Adrian Peterson and Laron Landry, I'd say go for it.

Porky
02-28-2007, 10:38 AM

:whew

Anyone remember what the Oilers gave up to acquire the #1 in 1978 to get the rights to Earl?

TexanAddict
02-28-2007, 10:38 AM

Without swapping picks ?

Yes, we would do that in a heart beat. However, even if we were to be optimistic and assume Carr to be worth a 2nd round pick (which I don't think anybody does) that would essentially be giving Cleveland two 2's and a 4 for the #3 overall selection, which would be highway robbery.

real
02-28-2007, 10:40 AM
Yes, we would do that in a heart beat. However, even if we were to be optimistic and assume Carr to be worth a 2nd round pick (which I don't think anybody does) that would essentially be giving Cleveland two 2's and a 4 for the #3 overall selection, which would be highway robbery.

You're right.

The Pencil Neck
02-28-2007, 10:48 AM
Anyone remember what the Oilers gave up to acquire the #1 in 1978 to get the rights to Earl?

Jimmy Giles, 1st and 2nd picks of '78, and their third in 79.

They traded with the Buccaneers who had drafted a running back with their #1 pick the previous year.

tsip
02-28-2007, 10:55 AM
But the Browns have the cap space to put players around him.

True, but there is still no guarantees that Carr's play will improve.

In '04, the Browns were the worse team in the NFL-every player around Carr was better than Cleveland had--too, we had the incentive of not having a losing season...so, we lay one of the 'biggest eggs' in NFL history.

The Browns looked line SB contenders, as they added 6 sacks to their league low 20+ sacks...

JMO, but it depends upon whether or not you feel 'lucky'...

Long Baller
02-28-2007, 10:58 AM
I have heard many Carr trade scenarios but one I have not heard is Carr to Oakland for Jerry Porter. I know Porter was out of favor with the previous regime last year but I don't know where he stands with the new staff.

I think this would do a couple of things for us:
1. Give us a strong #2 receiver to pair with AJ
2. Better the chances for AP to fall to #8 in the draft. With Carr, the Raiders could go Johnson with the 1st pick, Detroit takes Thomas and that leaves the Browns with Russell if they really want a franchise QB. After that, barring a trade AP could realistically fall to 8. This is not a definite but IMO it really increases the odds that he could get to us

I am not a cap expert so I don't know if the $$ make sense because I know Porter signed a big FA deal a year or two ago but from a player fit stand point I think this makes sense and if the Raiders are still down on Porter this is something they may be interested in doing.

tulexan
02-28-2007, 11:03 AM
Interesting idea.

Ole Miss Texan
02-28-2007, 11:05 AM
good insight as to the ripple effects of the trade!

Porky
02-28-2007, 11:10 AM
Who would our QB be in this scenerio? I would make that trade though.

santo
02-28-2007, 11:13 AM

We would start Sage Rosenfels with Quincy Porter being our back-up and draft a QB in the later rounds.

Long Baller
02-28-2007, 11:15 AM

Still a lot of talk about Plummer coming here but I wouldn't mind giving Sage a chance. My thought is if Carr is gone like everyone is forecasting why not make the most of it.

TEXANS84
02-28-2007, 11:17 AM
Although Porter is upset, Oakland and Green Bay are talking about a Moss trade. So Porter may be around for a couple more seasons.

tulexan
02-28-2007, 11:20 AM
I still think that the best place for Moss would be the Pats. He would finally be on a winning team, Brady would finally have a legit WR, and they can afford to give up a first or second for him.

texans83
02-28-2007, 11:20 AM
We would start Sage Rosenfels with Quincy Porter being our back-up and draft a QB in the later rounds.

Porter isent ready to be a backup and I think you guys will realize why sage is a backup qb once he becomes a starter

Sportsfan
02-28-2007, 11:24 AM
Browns trade for Carr? Why would they do this? Carr has played some of his worse football against them- 6 sacks in '04 and 86 yds in '06.

Too, the Browns have less to surround Carr with than we do and everyone knows David can not-if at all-improve his play unless his team mates are all-pro.

Who cares what they want to do. Don't question a good thing.

Doom Capers
02-28-2007, 12:33 PM
I live in the Dayton area. I would not reccomend believing anything that is said by them.

nunusguy
02-28-2007, 12:36 PM
What source are you quoting showing ticket sales are down? Or is this just your opinion? In one of the threads I reviewed yesterday, another poster quoted a source for the Texans saying tickets sales were ok and a waiting list remains.
I do not claim to have any official info,nor have I seen any media report(s) to indicate anything about ticket sales, one way or the other. But I have some
personal info that would suggest ticket interest for this Fall is waning.
For example my wife's nephew, a small business man in Houston, has been a season ticket holder since the teams inception but he's getting out this year.
He had 4 seats, but often gave them to business assoicates or friends instead of going to the game with his own family. He says he can't find enough interest among family and friends to renew the tickets.
Guess thats under the heading of anecdotal type evidence, but sometimes that's the best kind.

santo
02-28-2007, 12:56 PM
Porter isent ready to be a backup and I think you guys will realize why sage is a backup qb once he becomes a starter

I agree that Sage was just a backup, but I am starting to realize we won't really know what he is capable of doing if we don't play him.

I would really like Carr to turn it around this season, but if they are going to trade him, why are we going to spend more money on another expensive qb?

I do not like Plummer nor any of the quarterbacks that are available this year. I honestly wish we can trade up to the 1st pick to get Joe Thomas. Peterson would be nice, but if we fix the O-line first, everything would start to fall into place.

If we are trading Carr, I would trade Carr, the 8th spot, and a third round for Oakland's first just so I could take Joe Thomas.

And when is Porter going to be ready anyway? He's a backup regardless and if not him, at least we have Van Pelt.

rmartin65
02-28-2007, 01:00 PM
Yes, that would be tight. If Carr is traded, maybe we can pick up Plummer. I dont want to start a quarterback debate, I am just saying that Plummer would be a possibility. Getting AP would be awsome.

TheCD
03-01-2007, 02:57 PM
I caught this on the CBS rumor mill for the Texans:

Ok...so assuming that this were true, and assuming it were a reasonable deal, and since we released Moulds, here's my question:

If we were going to pick at #3, would you want Adrian Peterson, or Calvin Johnson? I'd personally love to have Johnson, but it would be hard to go wrong with either one, right?

texans83
03-01-2007, 02:58 PM

Ok...so assuming that this were true, and assuming it were a reasonable deal, and since we released Moulds, here's my question:

If we were going to pick at #3, would you want Adrian Peterson, or Calvin Johnson? I'd personally love to have Johnson, but it would be hard to go wrong with either one, right?

ughh tough one I think CJ

Navy_Chris
03-01-2007, 02:59 PM

Calvin Johnson's closer to a SURE thing than Adrian Peterson, strictly because of the injury concerns with Peterson. Either pick would make my day!

Ole Miss Texan
03-01-2007, 03:03 PM
Both players are awesome but you have to take CJ.

With so many people saying kubiak doesn't draft RB's in the 1st round (that whole arguement) why would he trade up for one when we're rebuilding our team and our offense and defense lines has 2 starters that are healthy...combined!

Take CJ but hope we don't do this. Maybe JR drops to CLE or Thomas does and Peterson falls to us!

tulexan
03-01-2007, 03:09 PM
Both players are awesome but you have to take CJ.

With so many people saying kubiak doesn't draft RB's in the 1st round (that whole arguement) why would he trade up for one when we're rebuilding our team and our offense and defense lines has 2 starters that are healthy...combined!

Because he tried to last year?

Ole Miss Texan
03-01-2007, 03:31 PM
Because he tried to last year?

oh i know he did. i'm not the one saying he won't draft one. there are litterally millions and millions (sarcasm) of posters on here that will die before they will admit kubes would take one.

I was just looking for those posters that say kubiak won't ever trade up...but i havn't seen any lately.

I'll reiterate though, if petersons at 8 take him. i think we have way too many holes to be trading up.

Get rid of Carr and a few draft picks,...draft peterson. lots of people want kolb in the 2nd. then we won't have draft picks probably till 6 or 7.

we will not have addressed d-line, o-line, or secondary at all in the draft. FA is looking bad with steinbech rumored to CLE, bly already to denver, and clements too expensive.

I do not want to go into next season with the exact same secondary, d-line, and o-line.

trutxn
03-01-2007, 03:34 PM
Come back in 5 years and say that. Ten bucks says either VY or RB are no longer in the league at that time. Just a hunch.

VY will still be a force, RB on the other hand may be on the downside of his career, it depends how much abuse he takes.

tulexan
03-01-2007, 03:40 PM
FA is looking bad with steinbech rumored to CLE, bly already to denver, and clements too expensive.

Well I'm pretty sure that there are more than 3 free agents available this offseason. Just because they aren't big names, doesn't mean that they aren't solid players. We aren't going to get first tier players because we aren't a first tier team and we don't have dump trucks with cash ready to spend, but we will get some good players who will help this team.

Ole Miss Texan
03-01-2007, 03:42 PM
I really just don't see us trading up for Peterson. I really dont think it will happen and here's why. Spencer is injured, mckinney is our c, winston is our rt and needs to improve more, maddox is our only decent DT, weaver has undergone surgery, mario played all last season injured but should be healthy, we have no true FS, and we don't have a true #2 cb. now with the cutting of moulds, add to it walter is our #2 receiver?

i know rb isn't looking that great for us but if we're truly trying to rebuild this franchise this trade will never happen. You don't trade away the majority of your draft picks or high draft picks for several years when you have this many holes on our team. we need something like 11 new starters on both offense and defense and you don't give away stuff so you can have an often injured RB play for you're team for 5-6 years.

Ole Miss Texan
03-01-2007, 03:45 PM
Well I'm pretty sure that there are more than 3 free agents available this offseason. Just because they aren't big names, doesn't mean that they aren't solid players. We aren't going to get first tier players because we aren't a first tier team and we don't have dump trucks with cash ready to spend, but we will get some good players who will help this team.

i just said those because those are the only players everyone around here would come back with. we aren't going to sign those guys.

i know we're not going to get the top tier players and don't want them. i'm big against trying to go after clements because we dont have that much cash and we have too many other holes to fill. we need to get as many quality fa's as we can...not go after those few.

but who's out there? who would you target? for CB, FS, DT, LB, OL, OL, RB???

trutxn
03-01-2007, 03:45 PM
Let’s see, we've cut a starting DT, our # 2 WR, and DW (formerly DD) is still on the roster. If this is not a clue that we are going after DL, WR, OL, and DB in the draft, I don't know what is. We have until midnight before free agency begins, wouldn't DW be gone if we were not going to keep him? Unless a better trade opportunity arises, I see us keeping Carr and the # 8 pick. D-line, WR, O-line, and DBs are very deep in this draft, last time I checked those are the positions we need the most.

threetoedpete
03-01-2007, 03:55 PM
Jimmy Giles, 1st and 2nd picks of '78, and their third in 79.

They traded with the Buccaneers who had drafted a running back with their #1 pick the previous year.

And Tampa Bays Pick with the 17 ? Doug Williams. I believe there were more players than just Jimmy Giles invovled. But I can't prove it. Giles the only one who did anything.

threetoedpete
03-01-2007, 04:07 PM
I do not claim to have any official info,nor have I seen any media report(s) to indicate anything about ticket sales, one way or the other. But I have some
personal info that would suggest ticket interest for this Fall is waning.
For example my wife's nephew, a small business man in Houston, has been a season ticket holder since the teams inception but he's getting out this year.
He had 4 seats, but often gave them to business assoicates or friends instead of going to the game with his own family. He says he can't find enough interest among family and friends to renew the tickets.
Guess thats under the heading of anecdotal type evidence, but sometimes that's the best kind.

Hmm yes let's see. We're in a market of 4.5 million or so with only 70k seats for eight available dates. Yes Bob is going to be hurting real soon. Look McNair doesn't care that so and so is not re newing. But a guy like Bob who's used to winning and getting what he wants...he'll get this thing turned around. He strikes me as a guy who does what it takes. You had to expect a little learning curve when he came in. He just trusted the wrong people at the start. And those wrong people made some very bad decidsions. It's going to take a little while. Looks to me they made a fair start yesterday. And just for the record....The only way you take Calvin Johnson is if you already have a deal in place for A.J. And I'm talking about a block buster deal. They're not going to do that. Wr is not the problem. CJ's going to be a bear to defend that's for sure.

tulexan
03-01-2007, 04:35 PM
i know rb isn't looking that great for us but if we're truly trying to rebuild this franchise this trade will never happen. You don't trade away the majority of your draft picks or high draft picks for several years when you have this many holes on our team. we need something like 11 new starters on both offense and defense and you don't give away stuff so you can have an often injured RB play for you're team for 5-6 years.

Saying that Peterson is often injured and implying that it will translate to him being often injured in the NFL is like saying that if you have a cold one year and the flu the next year, that you are often sick.

Peterson had a high ankle sprain his sophomore year (a non-recurring fairly common injury), and a broken collar bone after jumping into the end zone his junior year (again a non-recurring injury). He did not tear his ACL or MCL, he did not break his leg, he did not tear his achilles tendon, he did not injure his back, and he did not injure his neck. If he had any of those injuries then I would have some concerns, but he didn't. He sprained his ankle and broke a collar bone. Neither of those injuries will affect his performance in the NFL, and he will be dominant.

Ole Miss Texan
03-01-2007, 04:39 PM
Bob McNair's the kind of guy if he takes out a loan and then his company fails, he's still going to do everything he can to repay that loan. (not that that's a problem!) He is a man of principle and high character. He does what it takes to get the job done Right.

While each year is very important...it's the big picture that the CEO if very worried about. He's going to do what he has to day to day, year by year, to get to that picture. I think he's going to make the tough decisions to get this team around (ie cutting key players, personell, building up the lines)

I see the AFC south division title, AFC championship trophy, and Superbowl Trophy all in McNairs future plans all while having a high quality/character, respected franchise. Go texans!

TEXANRED
03-01-2007, 05:29 PM
So I went over to the Brown's site just to see what they are saying about AP or Joe T and they have a thread saying that yesterday on one channel 3 wkcy there reporter is saying the Browns are talking to the Texans about Carr for there #3 pick.

When did the Browns become a player and where have I been?

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
03-01-2007, 05:31 PM
http://forums.houstontexans.com/showthread.php?t=35723

TEXANRED
03-01-2007, 05:33 PM
We get a new thread on Carr every 30 seconds its hard to keep up.

cook56
03-01-2007, 05:58 PM

That is crazy! Good thing you are not our GM.

Ole Miss Texan
03-01-2007, 06:05 PM
That is crazy! Good thing you are not our GM.

my thinking exactly. those 3rd rder and 3nd rder would be starters for us for a few/many years.