PDA

View Full Version : Texans Press Conference today?

HuttoKarl
02-27-2007, 02:39 PM
Someone on the ESPN board said there was a press conference announced for 5pm...can anyone verify this, and if so, what do we think it will be about?

GP
02-27-2007, 02:56 PM
Someone on the ESPN board said there was a press conference announced for 5pm...can anyone verify this, and if so, what do we think it will be about?

We will announce that Texans fans should expect BIG free agency acquisitions...so get ready for an exciting off season! We're going to finally address some needs, and make some major moves that will vastly improve our team.

Or at least that's what we're told every year about this time...only to see mediocre signings of other teams' cast-offs, and fed the bull that we've "really plugged some holes" this time!

Can't wait to see what "exciting" and "major" moves we're going to make this year. Should be absolutely amazing.

What aging, half-crippled LB are we going to get to pair up with DeMeco? Or will we just keep the ones we already have?

What stunning running back will we trade for this time? You know, all we need is a guy who can make one cut and GO! Shouldn't be that hard to find him.

Or, what Bronco or Packer is out there that can help our guys learn the system? We can always use a veteran from those teams to help the clubhouse environment and rapport.

(Sigh) Another underwhelming off season is upon us....

Navy_Chris
02-27-2007, 02:58 PM
We will announce that Texans fans should expect BIG free agency acquisitions...so get ready for an exciting off season! We're going to finally address some needs, and make some major moves that will vastly improve our team.

Or at least that's what we're told every year about this time...only to see mediocre signings of other teams' cast-offs, and fed the bull that we've "really plugged some holes" this time!

Can't wait to see what "exciting" and "major" moves we're going to make this year. Should be absolutely amazing.

Are they going to televise this on ABC13 or anything?

Exithios
02-27-2007, 02:59 PM

Is is televised, and if so, what station will it be on?

Texan_Bill
02-27-2007, 02:59 PM
I hope the trades are as big as our first trade ever.... Danny Wuerffel for Jerry Deloach :ok:

Vinny
02-27-2007, 03:00 PM
do you have a link to what you saw?

Navy_Chris
02-27-2007, 03:04 PM
I hope the trades are as big as our first trade ever.... Danny Wuerffel for Jerry Deloach :ok:

What if we traded Dunta Robinson to the Tennessee Titans for the rights to Bobby Boucher?

HuttoKarl
02-27-2007, 03:04 PM
It's just a poster on the ESPN message boards. I don't trust it without seeing it from someone else.

My guess....someone's getting cut/restructured!!!

THe poster said he had "that channel 13 update thing" on his computer, if that means anything to you.

Mr. White
02-27-2007, 03:09 PM
I just looked on the ch 13 website and didn't see anything about it....

dirty steve
02-27-2007, 03:09 PM
it was a thread started in the Houston texans message board on espn.com. no apparent credible sources, other than the Channel 13 mention.

Navy_Chris
02-27-2007, 03:19 PM
it was a thread started in the Houston texans message board on espn.com. no apparent credible sources, other than the Channel 13 mention.

Bob Allen will mention something about it at 6, if it indeed takes place.

Texan_Bill
02-27-2007, 03:24 PM
What if we traded Dunta Robinson to the Tennessee Titans for the rights to Bobby Boucher?

That would be awesome... Talk about ground- breaking. :drunk:

dirty steve
02-27-2007, 03:25 PM
(Sigh) Another underwhelming off season is upon us....
i cant see how could think that the 2006 offseason was a bore.

starters acquired:
Williams-DE
Ryans-ILB
Daniels-TE
Spencer-OT
Weaver-DE/DT
Moulds-WR
Flanagan-C

definite contributors:
Lundy-RB
Walter-WR
Winston-OL

i'd say it was a pretty busy offseason and succesful offseason. if "exciting" was only drafting #5 or #10, then get over it.

Navy_Chris
02-27-2007, 03:25 PM
That would be awesome... Talk about ground- breaking. :drunk:

I'm sure our FO will leave us "speechless" with some player acquisitions they have in store for us.

jdog
02-27-2007, 03:28 PM
They are announcing that there will be open tryouts for quarterback, runningback, wide receiver, left tackle, center, defensive tackle, outside linebacker, cornerback, and safety. Everyone on the messageboard is encouraged to participate.

Navy_Chris
02-27-2007, 03:30 PM
They are announcing that there will be open tryouts for quarterback, runningback, wide receiver, left tackle, center, defensive tackle, outside linebacker, cornerback, and safety. Everyone on the messageboard is encouraged to participate.

oh YES!! score!! can i play quarterback? i've always wanted to do that.

Texan_Bill
02-27-2007, 03:31 PM
I'm sure our FO will leave us "speechless" with some player acquisitions they have in store for us.

I'm all fired up now... I can't wait to see what bomb they are going to drop on our collective heads next...

Vinny
02-27-2007, 03:38 PM
I haven't heard or seen any of this yet. I did find this on the abc13 site though...

What are the Texans' options at quarterback?

Not surprised at all that the Texans have had some inquiries into trading David Carr. I'm in the school of thought that the franchise has known since the end of last season that Carr wasn’t going to be the quarterback they'd turn the corner with.

Did they make a huge mistake keeping Carr and passing on Young? Absolutely, one that could haunt them for the next 10 years.But they have to start looking forward and doing the bestthey can in those 10 years and of the possibilities that are out there, Jake Plummer is a viable alternative until Gary Kubiak can draft someone to groom and that won't be this year unless Brady Quinn is available at 8, which isn’t likely.

One person high in the Texans’ pecking order told me he thinks Carr has the talent,but not the heart.The same person told me if Carr has enough complimentary pieces around him that he be a good, not great, NFL quarterback.To me, that speaks volumes.

- Bob Allen
http://sportsblog.abc13.com/2007/02/what_are_the_te_1.html

Double Barrel
02-27-2007, 03:44 PM
That Bob Allen...filled with so much hatred!

Carr has enough complimentary pieces around him that he be a good, not great, NFL quarterback.

If we can add three more playmakers (in addition to AJ), a consistent running game, and a Pro Bowl offensive line, we'll see the REAL David Carr. And then build a defense that only allows 3 points per game, man, I think we could have a great team. :bubble:

texanfan2002114
02-27-2007, 03:45 PM
I just sent a text message to Rich at sportsradio 610 and during the break he called the Texans. He just sent me a text letting me know that the Texans have nothing scheduled.

TEXANS84
02-27-2007, 04:36 PM
If anything, it should be a press conference that Houston has petitioned the NFL for the following schedule:

Week 1 @ Jacksonville
Week 2 Jacksonville
Week 3 Jacksonville
Week 4 @ Jacksonville
Week 5 @ Jacksonville
Week 6 Bye
Week 7 Jacksonville
Week 8 @ Jacksonville
Week 9 Jacksonville
Week 10 Jacksonville
Week 11 @ Jacksonville
Week 12 Jacksonville
Week 13 @ Jacksonville
Week 14 @ Jacksonville
Week 15 Jacksonville
Week 16 Jacksonville
Week 17 @ Jacksonville

Navy_Chris
02-27-2007, 04:41 PM
If anything, it should be a press conference that Houston has petitioned the NFL for the following schedule:

Week 1 @ Jacksonville
Week 2 Jacksonville
Week 3 Jacksonville
Week 4 @ Jacksonville
Week 5 @ Jacksonville
Week 6 Bye
Week 7 Jacksonville
Week 8 @ Jacksonville
Week 9 Jacksonville
Week 10 Jacksonville
Week 11 @ Jacksonville
Week 12 Jacksonville
Week 13 @ Jacksonville
Week 14 @ Jacksonville
Week 15 Jacksonville
Week 16 Jacksonville
Week 17 @ Jacksonville

Haha. I'm concerned about Week 11 @ Jacksonville. By that point, global warming will have reached record levels and Chad Stanley may not be able to go longer than 4-5 yards.

Hervoyel
02-27-2007, 04:50 PM
That Bob Allen...filled with so much hatred!

If we can add three more playmakers (in addition to AJ), a consistent running game, and a Pro Bowl offensive line, we'll see the REAL David Carr. And then build a defense that only allows 3 points per game, man, I think we could have a great team. :bubble:

Hmmm, maybe.

texans83
02-27-2007, 04:56 PM
Haha. I'm concerned about Week 11 @ Jacksonville. By that point, global warming will have reached record levels and Chad Stanley may not be able to go longer than 4-5 yards.

Oh s**t you are right!!!! We have no chance now

Navy_Chris
02-27-2007, 04:56 PM
Oh s**t you are right!!!! We have no chance now

15-1 will do.

GP
02-27-2007, 04:59 PM
i cant see how could think that the 2006 offseason was a bore.

starters acquired:
Williams-DE
Ryans-ILB
Daniels-TE
Spencer-OT
Weaver-DE/DT
Moulds-WR
Flanagan-C

definite contributors:
Lundy-RB
Walter-WR
Winston-OL

i'd say it was a pretty busy offseason and succesful offseason. if "exciting" was only drafting #5 or #10, then get over it.

Weaver was built up to be a Ravens player that was star quality but the Ravens couldn't sign him and still keep their other guys. He was average, IMO, in terms of IMPACT.

Moulds was also the guy who was going to give us, let me see if I can state this correctly, "A Number 2 receiver who might actually challenge or be of the same caliber as a No. 1 WR..." Again, he had no speed (couldn't break away on deep balls) and was almost a non-factor as the season wore on.

Flanagan? He might have started, but due to injury (he's old, by the way, and who didn't expect it to happen at some point?) and due to what I and others here think was suspect "play," he's not what I consider a great starting center.

Lundy was touted by Kubiak as "a starter in the making...I like what I see in his eyes..." but I think Chris Taylor has got the edge at this point. Maybe you meant to say Chris Taylor? I'll give you credit fo rit if you meant Chris Taylor.

Walter was a good contributor. An actual possession WR who did catch tough passes when it counted, to move the chains and keep drives alive. So, I would say he was a good acquisition.

Winston has no arm length and was responsible for a lot of sacks because guys were hooking around his right shoulder and were upfield way too quickly. He was knocked in the draft analysis because of his arm length, by the way. I guess our coaching staff and FO need to pay better attention to what the scouts say sometimes, eh?

Spencer, Ryans, and Daniels are the marquee players that we acquire...and they were all DRAFTED.

Whre's the marquee free agency moves I am speaking of in my posts ont his topic? They don't exist. We acquire free agents that are average at best, but they are touted as "the missing pieces of the puzzle."

Lucky
02-27-2007, 05:12 PM
Winston has no arm length and was responsible for a lot of sacks because guys were hooking around his right shoulder and were upfield way too quickly.
"A lot" of sacks? I think Winston was credited with 2.5 over the course of the season. Eric wasn't an instant superstar, but I've seen "a lot" worse line up at tackle over the past 5 seasons in Houston.

dirty steve didn't mention Anthony Maddox and Vonta Leach, a couple of street FAs who made strong contributions after signing in-season. Last year was the Texans best offseason ever. No, not perfect. But, a couple of more like it should turn the Texans into contenders.

Imatexanfan
02-27-2007, 05:13 PM

Good way to get some attention :shades:

Theres nothin on about the Texans I even checked FSNH, but hey Karl good way to change the MB from Carr threads.:ok:

kiwitexansfan
02-28-2007, 12:09 AM
"A lot" of sacks? I think Winston was credited with 2.5 over the course of the season. Eric wasn't an instant superstar, but I've seen "a lot" worse line up at tackle over the past 5 seasons in Houston.

dirty steve didn't mention Anthony Maddox and Vonta Leach, a couple of street FAs who made strong contributions after signing in-season. Last year was the Texans best offseason ever. No, not perfect. But, a couple of more like it should turn the Texans into contenders.

I thought we had a great off season last year too.

We improved by 4 wins, and found some solid starters for years to come.

What more do you ask for.

dirty steve
02-28-2007, 12:16 AM

shame on me--good call. leach and maddox both likely played themselves into jobs in 2007. leach most likely a starter, and maddox definately in the mix along the D-Line rotation (especially if payne is let go).

cj5776
02-28-2007, 12:23 AM
Just because some of last years FAs did not start, does not mean they were not strong contributors. I thought Kalu, Salaam, McCleon all added a lot to the team.

HuttoKarl
02-28-2007, 09:00 AM
So I'm guessing this press conference didn't actually exist. It wasn't a ploy to change the subject, although I'm glad it did. The Bull Pen was looking pretty redundant for awhile.

Exithios
02-28-2007, 09:06 AM
So I'm guessing this press conference didn't actually exist. It wasn't a ploy to change the subject, although I'm glad it did. The Bull Pen was looking pretty redundant for awhile.

I saw Kubes on a PBS sports show last night, not sure if it was a rerun or not. He didn't have much of anything informative to add nor did the guy doing the interview have any good questions. Was just a bunch of "whats your favorite comfort food, which of your 6 super bowl appearances as a player and a coach was most rememberable", yadda-yadda-yadda.