PDA

View Full Version : Dielman, Steinbach Rumor

Texian
02-24-2007, 02:15 PM
POSTED 10:59 a.m. EST, February 24, 2007

DIELMAN, STEINBACH HAVE DEALS IN HAND?

Our sources in Indy tell us that two of the top offensive linemen in free agency might already have deals in place with new teams.

If their agents are to be believed.

Per the source, the agents for Bengals lineman Eric Steinbach and Chargers lineman Kris Dielman are telling people that they plan to sign contracts worth $7 million per year on March 2, or shortly thereafter.

The three teams who were thought to be most interested in either of these two guys are the Texans, Browns, and Cowboys.

Though it wouldn't be much of a surprise to learn that contracts have been verbally negotiated before the start of free agency (since it happens every single year), the other possibility is that the agents are puffing as to either or both of these players, in the hopes that someone else will offer as much or more.

Either way, make no mistake about it -- free agency officially begins in six days; unofficially, it's already started.

TEXANRED
02-24-2007, 02:18 PM

Our sources in Indy tell us that two of the top offensive linemen in free agency might already have deals in place with new teams.

Per the source, the agents for Bengals lineman Eric Steinbach and Chargers lineman Kris Dielman are telling people that they plan to sign contracts worth $7 million per year on March 2, or shortly thereafter.

The three teams who were thought to be most interested in either of these two guys are the Texans, Browns, and Cowboys.

Though it wouldn't be much of a surprise to learn that contracts have been verbally negotiated before the start of free agency (since it happens every single year), the other possibility is that the agents are puffing as to either or both of these players, in the hopes that someone else will offer as much or more.

Either way, make no mistake about it -- free agency officially begins in six days; unofficially, it's already started.

I thought it was illegal to talk to a player from another team before FA began?

Texian
02-24-2007, 02:26 PM
I thought it was illegal to talk to a player from another team before FA began?

It is but it isn't. If you ask any team or FA player to today what contacts they have made, they would all say none but they plan to do so next week.

nunusguy
02-24-2007, 03:01 PM
What would be the idea if they pick up a FA guard, move Weary to center
and release McKinney (or insist that he take a steep cut in comp and be a reserve) ?

Clash_Fan3605
02-24-2007, 04:04 PM

What are the sources in Indy? Could you give us a link?

*Nevermind- I got it*

Clash_Fan3605
02-24-2007, 04:06 PM
What would be the idea if they pick up a FA guard, move Weary to center
and release McKinney (or insist that he take a steep cut in comp and be a reserve) ?

I'm thinking the O-Line would be

Spencer / Steinbach or Dielman / Flanagan / Pitts / Winston

ArlingtonTexan
02-24-2007, 04:29 PM
per profootballtalk.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TexanSam
02-24-2007, 04:36 PM
They better be in the mix for FA offensive linemen, seeing as that's been one of our biggest needs EVERY SINGLE YEAR

Clash_Fan3605
02-24-2007, 04:38 PM
if we can get these guys, especially Steinbach, I will be pumped!!!!!!!:marionaner:

htownfoozball
02-24-2007, 04:44 PM
that would leave us with $3-6 million under the cap. means we better address the secondary early in the draft cuz we have no shot at nate in FA anymore if this is true.

Clash_Fan3605
02-24-2007, 04:49 PM
yes. hopefully Michael Griffin or Chris Houston in the 2nd.

tulexan
02-24-2007, 04:55 PM
we should be able to clear up more space when we cut and restructure several players in the coming weeks.

ArlingtonTexan
02-24-2007, 04:58 PM
that would leave us with $3-6 million under the cap. means we better address the secondary early in the draft cuz we have no shot at nate in FA anymore if this is true.

A couple of things,

the bonus/salary thing does not work that cleanly depending on how the contract is structured so an average salary of 7 million per year does not have to mean 7 million off the 2007 cap.

The Texans have three (Williams, wong and Payne) contracts that have a good chance to be restructured or see the player cut in order to "compete" (Kubiak's word) in FA.

Clash_Fan3605
02-24-2007, 04:59 PM
if we signed Steinbach, would we still draft Levi Brown? Brown and Steinbach could solidify our left side, but if we signed Steinbach, i think we should draft AD (of course if he's available), or Landry / Nelson. Then we could draft Chris Houston or Michael Griffin in the 2nd.

threetoedpete
02-24-2007, 05:27 PM
I'm thinking the O-Line would be

Spencer / Steinbach or Dielman / Flanagan / Pitts / Winston

Pitts isn't a right gaurd.

Hulk75
02-24-2007, 05:30 PM
Lets just stick to the line, I am so happy that after 6 YEARS! Our names are finally with some good FA OLINEMAN, Good Heavens it took forever. That would be solid, I just hope Dielman is not trying to get back with his old coach in Dallas.

aj.
02-24-2007, 05:34 PM
There will probably be some player transactions on Friday that surprise some people. The Texans have some real challenges financially.

LORK 88
02-24-2007, 05:42 PM
Great post, good to see us going after some solid OL FAs finally! Do you have a link so I can check it out?

TEXANRED
02-24-2007, 05:43 PM
There will probably be some player transactions on Friday that surprise some people. The Texans have some real challenges financially.
Agreed, I don't see the Texans making a big splash in FA this year. We have a lot of work ahead of us to undo the mess Casserly left behind.

LORK 88
02-24-2007, 05:47 PM
Agreed, I don't see the Texans making a big splash in FA this year. We have a lot of work ahead of us to undo the mess Casserly left behind.
I don't think we'll ever make a huge splash, but Rick Smith is apparently very good at getting solid FA prospects to come in. I don't think we do as well as everyone thinks (no way in hell we get Clements, Briggs, etc), but solid players like these 2 are very possible.

Texans Pride
02-24-2007, 05:58 PM
Why was this thread moved to the college section? These guys are NLF players already, and this topic is directly related to the Texans football team.

Texian
02-24-2007, 06:04 PM
I originally started the thread here. I guess I spend more time here vs Bull Pen. The Bull Pen is OK if you want to read about the Carr Huggers vs the Carr Haters. Outside that there isn't much going on over there. To my fellow draftnicks be true.

ArlingtonTexan
02-24-2007, 06:15 PM
Why was this thread moved to the college section? These guys are NLF players already, and this topic is directly related to the Texans football team.

The threads were merged, because they dealt with the exact topic.

Texans Pride
02-24-2007, 08:04 PM
Sounds good!

Hey, thanks to both of you guys to bringing this up.