PDA

View Full Version : Ron Rivera looks to be let go by the Bears

Ckw
02-19-2007, 03:31 PM
This just in: the Bears and Ron Rivera have seemingly ended talks on a contract extension, and he is about to be a free agent. Man if I'm the Texans I jump on this guy immediately.

Link: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2771399

El Tejano
02-19-2007, 03:36 PM
No joke. That guy got a very bad team to play very well.

ryansisgod
02-19-2007, 03:52 PM
This just in: the Bears and Ron Rivera have seemingly ended talks on a contract extension, and he is about to be a free agent. Man if I'm the Texans I jump on this guy immediately.

Link: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2771399

we already have richard smith and we hired frank bush as wellm so i highly doubt kubes and co. would jump on it although i highly beleive he could help us alot with the developement of mario and demeco.

Ckw
02-19-2007, 03:55 PM
we already have richard smith and we hired frank bush as wellm so i highly doubt kubes and co. would jump on it although i highly beleive he could help us alot with the developement of mario and demeco.

I know that we have Frank Bush and Richard Smith. But you fire Richard Smith if you've got a chance at a guy like Ron Rivera. It's all just wishful thinking, but hey, a guy can dream right?

Double Barrel
02-19-2007, 04:51 PM
I'd drop Richard Smith in a heartbeat if it meant we got Rivera!

I'm not holding my breath, though...this organization likes to hold on to people much longer than they should, judging from past experience(s).

jlam
02-19-2007, 04:59 PM
No joke. That guy got a very bad team to play very well.

Wait. Tommie Harris, Lance Briggs, Brian Urlacher, Mike Brown, Nathan Vasher, Charles Tillman, and Tank Johnson constitute a "bad" team? I understand that it takes a good coach to get the most out of your talent, but seriously.

PapaL
02-19-2007, 06:00 PM
No way you fire anyone on staff. Hire him as a consultant for the year. He will more then likely be a HC next year. If you fire our current guy, then what come next year?

SamuraiSword
02-19-2007, 07:52 PM
No way you fire anyone on staff. Hire him as a consultant for the year. He will more then likely be a HC next year. If you fire our current guy, then what come next year?

I agree with you on that hire that man as a consultant for a year.

run-david-run
02-19-2007, 09:23 PM
Anyone know when he was hired as DC for the Bears? It would be interesting to compare how the defense did before all those stars emerged.

TexanSam
02-19-2007, 09:28 PM
I'm not holding my breath, though...this organization likes to hold on to people much longer than they should, judging from past experience(s).

You can't say that we've held Richard Smith too long though can you? I was impressed with the way our defense played last year after those first 4 games, especially with the lack of talent we had. I don't think we'll be going after Rivera though. I think he'd be a one and done type of guy, he's a DC for us for a year, maybe two, then he gets a head coaching job.

TexanSam
02-19-2007, 09:36 PM
Well Rivera is the linebackers coach at San Diego only hours after he didn't get his contract renewed by the Bears. Shawn "Steroids" Merriman being coached by Rivera. That's kind of scary.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2771716

jgl35
02-19-2007, 09:49 PM
Anyone know when he was hired as DC for the Bears? It would be interesting to compare how the defense did before all those stars emerged.

Went to the Bears in 04 from the Eagles, where he was the LB coach from 99 to 03.

bah007
02-20-2007, 12:45 PM
From what I've heard Lovie Smith already has a guy to take Rivera's spot.

El Amigo Invisible
02-20-2007, 03:20 PM
Why didn't we go after that guy?

GuerillaBlack
02-20-2007, 03:24 PM
Texans are slow.

Double Barrel
02-20-2007, 03:36 PM
You can't say that we've held Richard Smith too long though can you? I was impressed with the way our defense played last year after those first 4 games, especially with the lack of talent we had. I don't think we'll be going after Rivera though. I think he'd be a one and done type of guy, he's a DC for us for a year, maybe two, then he gets a head coaching job.

Well, that makes one of us. I've never been impressed by Richard Smith's playcalling abilities. He blew the call against the Bills by his own admission. JP Losman beats us with a passing game with only 9 seconds on the clock?! That game should have been a win. He blew the call in OT against the Titans by his own admission. Most defensive coordinators know not to throw a blitz at VY in a third and long situation. That might have been another win.

There are other examples, but these two are the most glaring. He gets too emotional about playcalling, even to the point of not calling blitzes all game because someone in the media called him out for the previous game. I'm just not impressed with a guy that has nothing on his resume to indicate that he'll be a great coordinator. Thankfully we added Bush to our staff, because I think he'll keep Smith in line. But I'd fire RS in a heartbeat if it was my decision (I think he was a quick fix because we hired Kubiak so late in the game and he had slim pickins by that point).

Double Barrel
02-20-2007, 03:50 PM
Talent flows around the league and you have to be a bit ruthless to acquire some of it. It would have been a bold move to throw the deuce at Richard Smith and hire Rivera but McNair really values loyalty and work ethic and Smith may have shown them enough to not even consider rocking the staff. I'm not sure what I think of Smith at this point but I do know the defense was very bi-polar. At times we hid our deficiencies very well but there were other times when we seemed to do unsound things (like the Demeco spy-blitz on Young in OT). The talent makes the plays but the coaches put you in the best position to make a play. Sometimes it doesn't seem like our talent was in winnable situations.

Great post, Vinny, and with regards to the last part: truer words have never been spoken.

El Amigo Invisible
02-21-2007, 04:55 PM
Couldn't Rivera could have come in as a linebacker coach or something??? We need help all around .

TwinSisters
02-21-2007, 06:38 PM
Couldn't Rivera could have come in as a linebacker coach or something??? We need help all around .

no, because that would be a demotion.

We already have one senior defensive assistant to skirt that issue. Frank Bush was an assistant head coach and linebackers coach.

TexanSam
02-21-2007, 06:47 PM
I think he may have taken the Chargers job because it will give him experience working with a 3-4 defense rather than the 4-3 he's worked with his entire time with the Bears.

edo783
02-21-2007, 09:38 PM
The best reason may be that everyone on the planet knows that Norv will not work out long term except Norv and AJ Smith.

I'm not sure even Norv could screw this one up, but hey, ya can't go wrong on betting against Norv.