PDA

View Full Version : NFL analyst Michael Irvin no longer with ESPN

Playmaker
02-17-2007, 11:59 PM
I kinda figured Irvin would wear out his welcome sooner or later...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2769871

ESPN announced that Michael Irvin, who had been an NFL analyst for ESPN since 2003, is no longer with the network.

ESPN Communications Vice President Josh Krulewitz issued a statement, saying "We thank Michael for his contributions to ESPN and wish him well."

Irvin retired in 2002 after 12 seasons with the Dallas Cowboys and was elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame during Super Bowl festivities two weeks ago.

PapaL
02-18-2007, 12:05 AM
Some where; he is still talking.

HoustonFrog
02-18-2007, 12:35 AM
I have always like the fact that he said what was on his mind compared to some of the talking heads who were too safe yet you could tell that he pushed some buttons...especially those of Tom Jackson.

TexansLucky13
02-18-2007, 12:39 AM
I have always like the fact that he said what was on his mind compared to some of the talking heads who were too safe yet you could tell that he pushed some buttons...especially those of Tom Jackson.

He spoke his mind, sure, and I respected that. The only problem was that he didn't have much up there.

mexican_texan
02-18-2007, 01:04 AM
I figured Sean Salisbury would be the first to go

SamuraiSword
02-18-2007, 01:13 AM
Irvin will probably either end up on FOX or TNT.

TexanSam
02-18-2007, 01:28 AM
Irvin will probably either end up on FOX or TNT.

My guess is Fox. TNT doesn't show NFL games. I just hope he doesn't host his own show.

hot pickle
02-18-2007, 01:32 AM
haha, at least we dont have to listen to why the ravens will win every game they play

if you dont get it, then you don't watch him enough

run-david-run
02-18-2007, 01:54 AM
haha, at least we dont have to listen to why the ravens will win every game they play

if you dont get it, then you don't watch him enough

does it have anything to do with the U?
or in irvin speak, "THE U!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!"

BleedTheBurntOrange
02-18-2007, 02:28 AM
I love how he spoke his mind but you could see he irritated the rest of the analyst so i could see why he isnt there anymore.

On a related note does anyone know why Harold Reynolds was let go?

Showtime100
02-18-2007, 02:56 AM
I love how he spoke his mind but you could see he irritated the rest of the analyst so i could see why he isnt there anymore.

Harold Reynolds was named in one or more sexual harassment accusation by workers at ESPN.

Showtime100
02-18-2007, 02:59 AM
He spoke his mind, sure, and I respected that. The only problem was that he didn't have much up there.

My guess is if he wasn't coming back already, it was the racial comments he made that did him in.

brewhaus
02-18-2007, 07:51 AM

Yeah, he spoke his mind but I'm not so sure everyone cared what he thought. It never really interested me.

hot pickle
02-18-2007, 11:46 AM
does it have anything to do with the U?
or in irvin speak, "THE U!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!"

haha, "the ravens will win because my boy ray from THE U!!!! will set the tone for this game", HAHAHAHAHAH:ok:

alphajoker
02-18-2007, 11:49 AM
Sucks to lose your job, but I'm glad he's gone. I couldn't watch NFL Game Day because of this guy. He seemed to find a way to make everything about him.

dirty steve
02-18-2007, 11:58 AM
i guess those emails i sent to ESPN worked. this is some really great news.

dbspi
02-18-2007, 02:15 PM
It's about time .............

Trap_Star
02-18-2007, 02:19 PM
I figured Sean Salisbury would be the first to go

Does this mean Salisbury gets promoted to "Sunday Countdown"?...:brickwall

old football fan
02-18-2007, 02:46 PM
Who really cares? Irvin always had his mouth open but nothing interesting or informative ever came out of it. Besides ESPN sucks anyway.

GuerillaBlack
02-18-2007, 02:54 PM
Put Steve Young back on the stage.

SESupergenius
02-18-2007, 03:36 PM
The antics only entertain for a little bit, then it just gets old, Just like Stu on ESPN. The "booyah" is too old now, just let me entertained by the footage, not some guy sitting down make a clown out of himself. Brink back Oberman and Dan Patrick!

At any rate. I want to see Phil Simms and Rod Woodson team up to do a game, one offense, one defense. I should be the Sports Network Director at ABC.

Silver Oak
02-18-2007, 04:29 PM
Good news!

Now if we can get Deion fired or let go, it'll truly be a beautiful thing.

Revolution
02-18-2007, 04:31 PM
Brink back Oberman and Dan Patrick!

You complain about these guys being clowns and then pine for Olbermann?

:shades:

HoustonFrog
02-18-2007, 04:38 PM
You complain about these guys being clowns and then pine for Olbermann?

:shades:

Could not stand Olbermann once he left. Left is a key word for him. He is like the National Enquirer of real news.

As I said I liked what Irvin would say. It actually was pretty smart at times but since it was yelled while he grabbed other guys arms it became over the top and bothersome to the others. Being I grew up a Boys fan and I respect his game I liked him but don't mind that he is off of there.

edo783
02-18-2007, 05:05 PM
I'm surprised he lasted this long.

OzzO
03-13-2007, 11:22 AM
They've replaced him with another Cowboy (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/4624121.html)

ESPN going the Cowboy way
Former RB Smith joining network as pregame analyst

Former Dallas Cowboys running back Emmitt Smith has been hired by ESPN as a studio analyst for its NFL pregame coverage.

Smith, the league's all-time leading rusher, will appear on the network's NFL Countdown and Monday Night Countdown shows. He will also appear as an analyst on ESPN Radio and ESPN.com, the network announced Monday.

"I am looking forward to sharing my knowledge and insight of football with the fans of the NFL," Smith said in a statement released by the network. "I am excited to be joining the ESPN family, particularly the highly respected Countdown crews."

Smith will join Chris Berman, analysts Mike Ditka, Tom Jackson and Ron Jaworski, and reporter Chris Mortensen on NFL Countdown. He, Berman, Jackson, Mortensen and analysts Bill Parcells and Steve Young will do the Monday Night Countdown show each week.

The network previously decided not to bring back Smith's former teammate, Michael Irvin, who had worked for ESPN as an analyst.

HomeBred_Texan
03-13-2007, 06:07 PM
Yeah, I saw that on the SA news yesterday, maybe day before. Kind of funny to switch out Cowboys, but at least Emmitt is a bit better at public speaking.

A 5 year old is better at public speaking that Irwin...

All I can say is 1 down and several more to go and TV Sports could be entertaining again. There is a couple more of knotheads I would like to see fired or retired or whatever before the season starts...

freedoggy77
03-13-2007, 06:08 PM
i personally don't care. he was a good WR but not the best analyst

Trap_Star
03-13-2007, 08:32 PM
HAHAHA! That sucks for irvin.....You get fired, then replaced by one of your best friends....

Koolaid Time
03-13-2007, 09:15 PM
Hmm.. what network will Irvin land at for next year?

Fox already dumped him.
ESPN was probably his last hope after he made those stupid comments about Romo

Koolaid Time
03-13-2007, 09:43 PM
I can't see him doing radio.. You can't wear fur coats and fur hats on radio...

http://nfl.aolsportsblog.com/2007/02/23/michael-irvin-is-still-on-the-job-market/

Michael Irvin Is Still on the Job Market
Posted Feb 23rd 2007 4:47PM by Ryan Wilson
Filed under: Cowboys, NFL Rumors, NFL Media Watch

Last week, we wrote that ESPN finally got around to dumping Michael Irvin, though there was some speculation he could end up with another television gig -- maybe the NFL Network -- in the time it takes to say, "That's not my crackpipe, officer. It's my friends ... no, honest."

According to the Miami Herald, Irvin is still unemployed. Apparently, none of the other networks are interested in his unique brand of football analysis: Absurd commentary delivered IN A VERY LOUD VOICE.
Though Irvin wants to remain on television, none of the NFL rights-holders appear interested. CBS and NFL Network said they won't pursue Irvin. Fox (where Irvin previously worked) and NBC also aren't expected to hire him.
Frankly, I'm shocked. Seriously. Networks like attention-grabbing whores because, well, it boosts ratings. But maybe Irvin's past -- and his history of making really dumb comments -- finally caught up with him.

Irvin told the Herald that ESPN didn't offer a particular reason for ouster, "but a person very close to the situation said the network believed it could find somebody better and also feared the potential of another embarrassing incident."

In the meantime, Irvin has expressed an interest in doing some radio. And on the heels of his critically acclaimed performance in "The Longest Yard" (he played a convict), Irvin might also do more acting. Though, I'd argue that acting like a convict isn't much of a stretch. I imagine the director said something like, "All right Mike, just go over there, and when I give you the signal, punch Adam Sandler in the face ... you know, just be yourself."

Trap_Star
03-13-2007, 09:49 PM
He'd be perfect for CourtTV...:this:

Koolaid Time
03-13-2007, 11:18 PM
He'd be perfect for CourtTV...:this:

Nancy Grace would kill him his first day on the job...

Tayton
03-14-2007, 03:38 PM
Couldn't happen to a nicer guy. Now if we can just get him out of the hall of fame.

Second Honeymoon
03-14-2007, 05:10 PM
I saw him on The Best Damn Sports Show last night. He wasn't as jovial as he was on ESPN, i think the firing hurt him. Irvin and SHOTTENHEIMER were the guests. OMG shottenheimer looked like a stiff fish out of water....i genuinely felt sorry for the guy. fwiw - that show sucks except they do have some nice eye candy sometimes

i thought irvin was actually pretty good on ESPN but he is probably still hitting the pipe and ESPN may have gotten wind of it....otherwise I cant see them getting rid of him due strictly on talent. maybe the powers that be at Disney wanted Emmitt the dancing Hall Of Famer to be there without Irvin. if you had Irvin and Emmitt on there it would be one big Cowboys History infomercial.

Koolaid Time
03-14-2007, 05:22 PM
I saw him on The Best Damn Sports Show last night. He wasn't as jovial as he was on ESPN, i think the firing hurt him. Irvin and SHOTTENHEIMER were the guests. OMG shottenheimer looked like a stiff fish out of water....i genuinely felt sorry for the guy. fwiw - that show sucks except they do have some nice eye candy sometimes

i thought irvin was actually pretty good on ESPN but he is probably still hitting the pipe and ESPN may have gotten wind of it....otherwise I cant see them getting rid of him due strictly on talent. maybe the powers that be at Disney wanted Emmitt the dancing Hall Of Famer to be there without Irvin. if you had Irvin and Emmitt on there it would be one big Cowboys History infomercial.

Irvin made a couple of questionable racist remarks the past couple of seasons. And the bust for the bong didn't help much either.

Trap_Star
03-14-2007, 05:24 PM
Irvin made a couple of questionable racist remarks the past couple of seasons. And the bust for the bong didn't help much either.

HEY!! that bong belonged to his friend!!...:rolleyes:

Double Barrel
03-14-2007, 08:17 PM
As dumb as Irvin can be at times, I think he'd do a better job on MNF than Tony Cornholio. Hope they change the booth lineup (again!).

Trap_Star
03-14-2007, 08:18 PM
As dumb as Irvin can be at times, I think he'd do a better job on MNF than Tony Cornholio. Hope they change the booth lineup (again!).

Its going be the same this coming season...

awtysst
03-14-2007, 11:55 PM

Bring back Dennis Miller! I loved whe he was in the MNF booth. He was hilarious and knew what stories to tell and how to tell them. Kornheiser is a poor substitute for Dennis Miller!