Brandt's Pre-Combine outakes
http://nfl.com/draft/story/9992986

threetoedpete
02-14-2007, 12:34 PM
Fox sports ranked eligible players:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6421386

Silver Oak
02-14-2007, 06:14 PM
For those of us with NFL Network, for the rest of ya...we'll try and relay what we see.

The following is NFL Network's day-by-day telecast plans:

Thursday, Feb. 22
2 p.m. ET: 2007 Scouting Combine Press Conferences (LIVE)
7 p.m. ET: NFL Total Access at the Scouting Combine (LIVE)

Friday, Feb. 23

Saturday, Feb. 24
11 a.m. ET: On Field Drills inside RCA Dome: Tight Ends, Kickers and Offensive Linemen (LIVE) (repeats at 8 p.m. -- 2 hr. cutdown)

Sunday, Feb. 25
11 a.m. ET: On Field Drills inside RCA Dome: Quarterbacks, Running Backs and Wide Receivers (LIVE) (repeats at 8 p.m. -- 2 hr. cutdown)

Monday, Feb. 26
11 a.m. ET: On Field Drills inside RCA Dome: Linebackers and Defensive Linemen (LIVE) (repeats at 8 p.m. -- 2 hr. cutdown)

Tuesday, Feb. 27
11 a.m. ET: On Field Drills inside RCA Dome: Defensive Backs (LIVE) (repeats at 8 p.m. -- 2 hr. cutdown)

Wednesday, Feb. 28
7 p.m. ET: 2007 NFL Scouting Combine Wrap-Up Show

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/combine_2007

nunusguy
02-15-2007, 10:22 AM
"For those of us with NFL Network, for the rest of ya...we'll try and relay what we see."
I for one will be totally grateful to you and others for providing any and all
of the Combine action since I don't have the NFL Network myself ( TWC
doesn't give me that choice !).
In advance, thanks a lot Silver Oak !

Silver Oak
02-22-2007, 08:20 AM
Here's a link to nfl.com's combine blog. I hope they keep updating it as they have so far.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/story/10012301

Silver Oak
02-24-2007, 07:31 AM
The second day of the NFL Combine saw more action, and thus, more items of interest.

The day opened with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers losing a coin toss, while the Cleveland Browns earned the third overall draft selection.

The rest of the news from Day Two:

Quarterback Brady Quinn—who will not be participating in physical drills during the week of the Combine—measured in at 6'3”1/2 with a weight of 233 pounds. No real surprises there, but standing next to Jamarcus Russell made Quinn look almost small. Russell’s height was measured at 6'5"1/2 and he weighed in at 265, the heaviest quarterback at the Combine.

Another quarterback, Chris Leak, stood 5'11”7/8 for measurements. His stature will force some teams to hesitate on taking the Florida standout, but Leak has enough talent to be picked on day one of the draft.

Michael Bush, the Louisville running back coming off injury, measured 6'1 3/4 and weighed 243 pounds. His size hasn’t been in question, but his foot-speed will be when it comes time to run the 40. Bush won’t run at the combine and scouts will have to wait till his pro day to measure his speed.

Another power back type is former Penn State running back Tony Hunt, who measured 6'1”1/2 and hit the scales at 233 pounds. Like Bush, his speed will be important to where he is selected in the draft, but is also likely to opt out of the 40, and could save his entire efforts for his Pro Day.

Adrian Peterson measured 6'1-1/2" and 217 pounds, which is about what one would expect. Peterson is prepared to take part in all drills and tests during the week, which could be enough to guarantee him a spot in the top five.

More running back measurements (yielding no surprises):
Marshawn Lynch, 5'11", 215
Darius Walker, 5'10", 206
Kenny Irons, 5'11", 203

At wide receiver, speed seemed to be the issue of the day. Johnnie Lee Higgins (UTEP) suggested that he wanted to run his 40 in the 4.1 range, a total that would certainly drop some jaws. He’s apparently run a 4.18 in the past.

Paul Williams (Fresno State), who measured 6’1” and weighed 205 pounds, recently ran in the 4.3 range during a workout, and a repeat performance in Indianapolis would do a lot of good for his position.

As for top receiving prospect Calvin Johnson, he weighed in at 239 pounds, making him the heaviest wide receiver. Teams may be worried that Johnson’s work ethic isn’t quite what you want from a top pick, but Johnson is naturally big and his size is one of his strengths on the field, so it may have little effect in the minds of those watching.

One thing to note on defense is that that Mississippi linebacker Patrick Willis will dodge no event during Combine week. Teams have to be happy with his “nothing to hide” attitude, and Willis’ play on the field makes him a sure-fire first rounder. The combine should do little to drop his stock and his desire to participate in every drill could even improve his draft position.

On special teams, Maryland punter Adam Podlesh may have impressed most by having the best hang time among punters and a long punt of 53 yards.

Also, Manuel Ramirez—guard from Texas Tech—and Justin Blalock—guard from Texas—shared the honors of completing 40 reps of 225 pounds.

http://footballsfuture.com/2007/combine/combine2.html

Texian
02-24-2007, 09:50 AM
Brandt's quick hits from Indy
http://www.nfl.com/combine/story/10014809

Combine Blog

amazingandre
02-24-2007, 10:48 AM
Man the combine is on and noone is on here posting or commening.....thats weird? where are you guys.lol.....there are some extremely fast guys about 6 or so already under 5 sec. in the 40....allen barbre ran a 4.86.....WOW!!!!!

edo783
02-24-2007, 10:50 AM
Kahlil and Thomas both ran sub 5 sec. 40s. Pretty fast for big guys.

amazingandre
02-24-2007, 10:54 AM
i know plus kalil did 34 reps.....he just helped himself out a whole lot...he may not be there in the 2nd.....possibly the bears or some other late 1st rd team wil get him.....

Ole Miss Texan
02-24-2007, 10:57 AM
will you let us know how levi brown is doing? since there's a great chance we could draft him...thanks.

Dr. Toro
02-24-2007, 10:59 AM
will you let us know how levi brown is doing? since there's a great chance we could draft him...thanks.

Not well... ran a 5.39.

tulexan
02-24-2007, 11:01 AM
According to PFT he ran a 5.39

Vinny
02-24-2007, 11:02 AM
Not well... ran a 5.39. When a DE is lined up 40 yards from him he will be in trouble...quick feet are more important than linear speed for guys his size.

amazingandre
02-24-2007, 11:07 AM
Joe thomas is helping himself out even though he doesnt need too.....but maybe it will solidify the loins on taking him.....he ran like a 4.94 and is very impressive in the drills......brown was slower than expected but he is doing alright in the drills......i dont remember how many reps he had....

YoungTexanFan
02-24-2007, 11:11 AM
When a DE is lined up 40 yards from him he will be in trouble...quick feet are more important than linear speed for guys his size.

Thats what the 10 yard measurment and 3 cone drill are for.

Ole Miss Texan
02-24-2007, 12:08 PM
Thats what the 10 yard measurment and 3 cone drill are for.

Yea, i'd be real interested in seeing how levi does in those. i'd really like him to be a bit quicker but how does in the 'real' drills is what counts.

YoungTexanFan
02-24-2007, 12:10 PM
Yea, i'd be real interested in seeing how levi does in those. i'd really like him to be a bit quicker but how does in the 'real' drills is what counts.

See Senior Bowl footage and game film for positive reinforcement.

Ole Miss Texan
02-24-2007, 12:17 PM
See Senior Bowl footage and game film for positive reinforcement.

good call. this will take on soo much more weight than the combine.

tulexan
02-24-2007, 12:21 PM
Greg Olsen is fast. 4.47 for a TE

amazingandre
02-24-2007, 12:23 PM
he just did a 4.45....wow

tulexan
02-24-2007, 12:25 PM
Those 40 times probably made him a good 5-10 million more than he was going to make before the combine.

amazingandre
02-24-2007, 12:28 PM
and the guy that was up there for the best te dropped....he ran well slower than olsen......the guy from div-3 was 2nd fastest and he helped himself out a lot....

nunusguy
02-24-2007, 12:54 PM
Both AD and Lynch will run the 40, but believe that's tomorrow ?
AD is supposed to run sub 4.4, but Lynch says he has also been running
sub 4.4s in practice. If Lynch can run that well, he will really boost
his Draft stock.

amazingandre
02-24-2007, 01:15 PM
when they interviewed lynch on nflta on their rb segment on path to the draft....he said he wants to run a LOW 4.3.....i stated that on my thread path to the draft....if does this he will have a major boost in his stock and will rise.....some mock drafts say we take him at 8 if ap is gone....i dont like that at all

tulexan
02-24-2007, 01:34 PM
when they interviewed lynch on nflta on their rb segment on path to the draft....he said he wants to run a LOW 4.3.....i stated that on my thread path to the draft....if does this he will have a major boost in his stock and will rise.....some mock drafts say we take him at 8 if ap is gone....i dont like that at all

Why not? He is fast, has power, and has good hands. If Peterson is not available, Lynch is not much of a step down in terms of potential.

nunusguy
02-24-2007, 01:37 PM
I dunno Dre, but if he can knock out a 4.3 something, and given that he's a better pass receiver than AD and also more durable, why wouldn't he be just about as attractive as AD ? Course he wouldn't have the PR punch that home-stater AD would here in Houston.

Reddevil63
02-24-2007, 01:52 PM

If he runs a 4.3 then I will buy the plane ticket to Houston. Unless Cleveland makes a huge mistake they will have AP in the backfield next season. If Lynch can put up numbers like that, then the sting will definitely lessen.

HuttoKarl
02-24-2007, 02:11 PM
Lynch is about to improve his draft stock. We'd be wise to get him with the 8th pick if Cleveland takes Peterson. Then we could target someone like Staley or Ugoh in the second.

TEXANRED
02-24-2007, 02:14 PM
I am still waiting to see what we do in FA. I am kinda holding my breath to see what happens to Thomas Jones in Chicago. I would like to see us make a push for him. Ricky likely wont be back in Miami and doesn't Turner turn into a FA?

IMO we should trade down and get a few extra picks,I don't think Brown is a top 10 pick, a top 20 maybe.

tulexan
02-24-2007, 02:20 PM
Turner is a restricted free agent and we will not go after Ricky Williams. Why would we? He hasn't been the same since 2002 and is a huge liability to remain on the team for a season let alone more than one season.

amazingandre
02-24-2007, 03:07 PM
ya i guess ur right bout lynch....but i think if not ap then why not wait until later rounds for like bush or hunt...hunt is the best hands rb in the draft....or even booker....bush is more of a pounder and we have dayne so i guess pass on him......levi brown will probably fall after today...he wasnt imo a top 10....he was slow and didnt impress me.....kalil was a huge surprise...34 reps and he benches with his hands in tight like he is popping defenders with each rep....thats nice.....i think the chron had an article in which kubs says they will be extremely busy next week in fa....so we may already be talking to guys about coming here....therefore we dont know who to draft until we see who we get in fa

TEXANRED
02-24-2007, 03:17 PM
Turner is a restricted free agent and we will not go after Ricky Williams. Why would we? He hasn't been the same since 2002 and is a huge liability to remain on the team for a season let alone more than one season.

I believe Ricky is still a better runner than 90% of the backs out there. He still has some gas in the tank, why do you think he went to the CFL to play? So he could stay in shape and be able to play next year.

When Ricky retired it had nothing to do with the Dolphins or not wanting to play football. Ricky did not agree with the leagues ruling and took a stand, which I respect. All those interviews afterward was his own way of letting the league know that he didn't need football, he just didn't take in account the 8 million that he did need.

Turner is a UFA but what would it cost for us to sign him? Would we be looking for a high, middle, or low draft pick?

tulexan
02-24-2007, 03:28 PM
I believe Ricky is still a better runner than 90% of the backs out there. He still has some gas in the tank, why do you think he went to the CFL to play? So he could stay in shape and be able to play next year.

When Ricky retired it had nothing to do with the Dolphins or not wanting to play football. Ricky did not agree with the leagues ruling and took a stand, which I respect. All those interviews afterward was his own way of letting the league know that he didn't need football, he just didn't take in account the 8 million that he did need.

Turner is a UFA but what would it cost for us to sign him? Would we be looking for a high, middle, or low draft pick?

Ricky used to be a better runner than 90% of the backs in the league before he lost his edge in 2002. In 2002, he was almost unstoppable and ran with a lot of power and speed. He carried the ball 382 times and was on pace in 2002 to shatter the rushing attempt record. He started dancing around more in the back field and avoiding contact and lost that edge. He has yet to regain that form and probably never will. He has said that he doesn't want to end up like Earl Campbell and I really don't see him playing much longer.

I also don't want to hear all of this Ricky wants to come home and play because Texas is not his home. He is from California (San Diego to be exact) and the only affiliation he has with the state is going to college here.

threetoedpete
02-24-2007, 03:40 PM
Why not? He is fast, has power, and has good hands. If Peterson is not available, Lynch is not much of a step down in terms of potential.

Becuase his numbers do not match wht you get on the feild. Just like Tony Ugoh.

tulexan
02-24-2007, 03:43 PM
Not bad if you ask me. Especially considering that he was splitting time.

Year GP Att Yds Avg TD Rec Yds TD
2004 12 71 628 8.8 8 19 147 2
2005 10 196 1,246 6.4 10 15 125 0
2006 13 223 1,356 6.1 11 34 328 4
Totals 35 490 3,230 6.6 29 68 600 6

TEXANRED
02-24-2007, 03:54 PM
Ricky used to be a better runner than 90% of the backs in the league before he lost his edge in 2002. In 2002, he was almost unstoppable and ran with a lot of power and speed. He carried the ball 382 times and was on pace in 2002 to shatter the rushing attempt record. He started dancing around more in the back field and avoiding contact and lost that edge. He has yet to regain that form and probably never will. He has said that he doesn't want to end up like Earl Campbell and I really don't see him playing much longer.

I also don't want to hear all of this Ricky wants to come home and play because Texas is not his home. He is from California (San Diego to be exact) and the only affiliation he has with the state is going to college here.

Which would you rather have as our running attack next year?

Spencer, Pitts, Flanagan, Weary, Winston for the O-Line

Leach @ FB

Lynch, Lundy, Taylor*

Or

Spencer, Pitts or Weary, Kahlil, Winston, Brown for the O-Line**

Leach @ FB

FA running back, Lundy, Taylor.*

*future of both Dayne and Ddub is uncertain at this time. Either of those backs coming back could end Lundy or Taylor in Houston.

**condition that we trade down to get extra picks, draft Brown and then trading back up to get Kahlil.

tulexan
02-24-2007, 04:00 PM
Which would you rather have as our running attack next year?

Spencer, Pitts, Flanagan, Weary, Winston for the O-Line

Leach @ FB

Lynch, Lundy, Taylor*

Or

Spencer, Pitts or Weary, Kahlil, Winston, Brown for the O-Line**

Leach @ FB

FA running back, Lundy, Taylor.*

*future of both Dayne and Ddub is uncertain at this time. Either of those backs coming back could end Lundy or Taylor in Houston.

**condition that we trade down to get extra picks, draft Brown and then trading back up to get Kahlil.

What about:

Spencer, Steinbach/Dielman, Flanagan, Pitts, Winston/2nd round draft choice

Leach

Lynch, Dayne, Taylor

TEXANRED
02-24-2007, 04:14 PM
What about:

Spencer, Steinbach/Dielman, Flanagan, Pitts, Winston/2nd round draft choice

Leach

Lynch, Dayne, Taylor

That could make things interesting in training camp. Weary could compete for either the center job or RG while Pitts and Winston battle for the RT spot.

What O-Line would you take with the 40th overall pick?

Ole Miss Texan
02-24-2007, 04:15 PM
I definitly would love to trade down and get Brown.

I definitly would love to trade up and get Kalil.

Those two would go a long way to help our o-line. We'd still have Spencer, Winston, Weary, and Pitts. as guys i really like. That would help our running game a lot as well as giving Carr more time to throw.

Two ways to look at it, but if we can extend our drives both time wise and yardage wise that will really help our defense out. they would be more rested and probably have better field position. our defense really came together as the season progressed (but they still have a way to go.)

But if we have to "settle" on a defensive guy at 8 like Anderson, Adams, Okoye, Branch, or Landry I'd still be thrilled. lol

threetoedpete
02-24-2007, 04:19 PM
Don't want to throw a monkey wrench in here...but Stienback I saw somewhere yesterday is looking for Hutch money...forty to fifty million...over five years...doesn't that break down to seven to eight million a year. Our cap space as of today is between ten to thirteen million. See where I'm going with this ? That leaves you five to six million for signing all of your draft choices plus emegency contingencies durring the season. Not saying it can't happen...just saying. Got a board loaded with o-line prospects...go get them.

Silver Oak
02-24-2007, 04:45 PM
amazing how quiet it is in the RCA Dome when these guys are doing their drills. so quiet you can hear them breathing hard as they run and stuff.

all business here...no joking around!

tulexan
02-24-2007, 05:11 PM
Don't want to throw a monkey wrench in here...but Stienback I saw somewhere yesterday is looking for Hutch money...forty to fifty million...over five years...doesn't that break down to seven to eight million a year. Our cap space as of today is between ten to thirteen million. See where I'm going with this ? That leaves you five to six million for signing all of your draft choices plus emegency contingencies durring the season. Not saying it can't happen...just saying. Got a board loaded with o-line prospects...go get them.

That is great that he is looking for it, but it doesn't mean that he is going to get it.

threetoedpete
02-24-2007, 06:27 PM
amazing how quiet it is in the RCA Dome when these guys are doing their drills. so quiet you can hear them breathing hard as they run and stuff.

all business here...no joking around!

Yeah I luve this stuff. Biggest poker game on the planet , everyone is tring to see something the other guys there misses. Lot of guys made themselves some money today. Quinn pumping 225 24 times tells me he's not just a pretty boy. He's a football player. Hope we get some good coverage at his pro day. Kinda POed at Ugoh. Incredible athlete whos numbers don't fit the player on the feild.

Spled
02-24-2007, 06:50 PM
Looks like Levi laid an egg.
http://football.about.com/b/a/258014.htm

HuttoKarl
02-24-2007, 07:26 PM
Looks like Levi laid an egg.

A non-speedy 40 time on an OT isn't really going to make that huge of a difference. Scouts will look at his foot speed and his moves.

TEXANRED
02-24-2007, 08:35 PM
A non-speedy 40 time on an OT isn't really going to make that huge of a difference. Scouts will look at his foot speed and his moves.

I don't care about an O-Lineman 40 time, what did he do in the shuttle, cone drills, and the bench are the important times to me.

threetoedpete
02-24-2007, 09:19 PM

An offensive tackle who didn't fare so well was Penn State tackle Levi Brown posted a 5.39 in the 40. Some draft boards had him rising as high as the top ten prior to the Combine, but now he could slip all the way to the bottom of the first round, if not beyond.

As expected by me after interviewing Penn State offensive tackle Levi Brown, a number of times he made a few teams feel like he is the whole package. As one personnel man said to me, "You feel real good about the long-range chances for Levi when you get done talking to him."

Well the guy is looking at what is coming over the wire. If he watched the shawdow drills, cones, his measurements...he will not fall. If anything he's locked in as the second best tackle on the board. His first three steps are explosive. He has very large hands and quick elite feet. He has a nice pop and drops his hips well. He has a supirior kick and shuffle on the edge rushers. All of those things screams, with all due respect to about football dot com there...the guy is a lock.

Silver Oak
02-24-2007, 09:55 PM
tomorrow is the glamor day. qb's, rb's, and wr's.

you're right about quinn....when he was getting weighed and measured he looked pretty cut. russell had a pooch belly...must be the cajun food. :drunk:

amazingandre
02-24-2007, 09:58 PM
i just wish they both do the combine instead of waiting

Silver Oak
02-24-2007, 10:09 PM
40-yard dash - Offensive linemen
Some unofficial times from today's combine workouts -

Andy Alleman - 4.96
Allen Barbre - 4.86
Josh Beekman - 5.39
Justin Blalock - 5.23
Levi Brown - 5.39
Doug Datish - 5.18
Chris Denman - 5.20
Tim Duckworth - 5.42
Doug Free - 5.22
Gabe Hall - 4.89
Ryan Kalil - 4.96
James Marten - 4.99
Joe Thomas - 4.96
Tony Ugoh - 4.99

40-yard dash - Tight Ends
Unofficial 40-yard dash times from today's combine workouts -

Michael Allan - 4.67
Kevin Boss - 4.74
Scott Chandler - 4.81
Jonny Harline - 4.87
Clark Harris - 4.85
Zach Miller - 4.84
Joe Newton - 4.89
Greg Olsen - 4.47:thumbup
Ben Patrick - 4.78
Anthony Pudewell - 5.07
Gijon Robinson - 4.83
Derek Schouman - 4.77

threetoedpete
02-24-2007, 10:15 PM
yep looks like there are a couple of Seth Wand prospects on the board again. Thought Miller would run better. Olsen has deffinatly put himself on the radar with that time.

YoungTexanFan
02-24-2007, 10:19 PM
yep looks like there are a couple of Seth Wand prospects on the board again. Thought Miller would run better. Olsen has deffinatly put himself on the radar with that time.

Olsen has been the best TE prospect in the nation for at least a year. We didn't really expect him to declare, but you won't find a single post of mine saying he isn't the best TE in the draft/nation.

YoungTexanFan
02-24-2007, 10:21 PM
Clark Harris - 4.85
Ben Patrick - 4.78

These are two sleeper TE's, and I think Patrick is the better of the two. A potential gem.

Silver Oak
02-25-2007, 07:38 AM
So Quinn and Russell aren't going to do the drills today, and T. Smith is just going to throw but not run.

We stll have the guy I was impressed with at the Texas vs The Nation game....Josh Swogger. The tallest qb at the combine and a rocket arm. I hope he has a great day and the Texans take a look. Would be a perfect qb to take and make a project of while we let DC take snaps the next two years as we build.

kastofsna
02-25-2007, 08:24 AM
Andy Alleman - 4.96
heh, i almost created a thread for Alleman 2 days ago. the texans are targeting him.

tulexan
02-25-2007, 10:03 AM
Calvin backed it up with a 4.35 today

tulexan
02-25-2007, 10:06 AM
And he did it in someone else's shoes

kastofsna
02-25-2007, 11:26 AM
johnson is officially the best WR prospect ever now.

Vinny
02-25-2007, 11:33 AM
I don't care about an O-Lineman 40 time, what did he do in the shuttle, cone drills, and the bench are the important times to me.throw out all these drills and watch him play....that's enough for me. He is a better prospect than Jammal Brown two years ago and Brown went to the Pro bowl after we passed him for Travis Johnson. The Texans will probably take the guy who looks best in shorts....oh wait, Casserly isn't here anymore... :marionaner: never mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igNRxKai1mE Here is Brown lighting up his teammate for getting on the coaches.

run-david-run
02-25-2007, 11:44 AM
Yeah I luve this stuff. Biggest poker game on the planet , everone is tring to see something the other guys there misses. Lot of guys made themselves some money today. Quinn pumping 225 24 times tells me he's not just a pretty boy. He's a football player. Hope we get some good coverage at his pro day. Kinda POed at Ugoh. Incredible athlete whos numbers don't fit the player on the feild.

I hate this time of year for statments like this. Throwing 37 TD's, getting up after taking big hits, leading a huge comeback, recovering after making mistakes, etc. That dosnt make him a football player. Lifting 225 x amount of times does. Who gives a damn? How far can he throw the ball, how accurately can he throw it? Can he read a defense, take a hit, move around in the pocket...etc. Those are the defining traits of a football player, not lifting weights in a gym.

kastofsna
02-25-2007, 12:05 PM
i hate this tiem of the year because there's always people coming out of the woodwork to express their displeasure for the combine.

Lucky
02-25-2007, 12:37 PM
I hate this time of year because people will come out of the woodwork and claim that a guy who's not a very good football player, like Greg Olsen, should be a top 15 pick because he ran fast in shorts one day in Indy.

Dr. Toro
02-25-2007, 12:37 PM
Thoughts on the WR times, anybody?

Rice's 4.53 hurt him, coupled with the 'ole Spurrier jinx, probably the 5th WR taken. Not to read too much into it... but I think other guys offer a few more tangible assets.

Nobody is going to pass on C. Johnson. Oakland has some luxury in selecting the best offensive player available, because they've got a great D and Moss shouldn't deter them.

Meachem's time (4.36) was very impressive, puts him in play for picks 10-20. Maybe some homerism in Tennessee, could be the guy they need, SF maybe.

Bowe's time of 4.51 doesn't move him at all... looks like a Colston clone, a bit shorter, but will go get balls, break tackles, and get downfield just fine. Will make some team drafting 10-25 very happy. Would be a nice fit for SF or TEN, maybe even ATL.

Anthony Gonzalez put himself in play for a late 1st pick with the 4.41, another guy I expect to be productive. I see him fitting perfectly in San Diego, where they don't need a red-zone target as much as a good solid WR. Size and gamebreaking aren't huge needs given the Tomlinson and Gates weapons in that passing attack.

Jarrett not running is hurting when nearly everybody is beating expectations, and guys like Bowe aren't trying to hide anything. At this point, he'll need to run like a 4.5 something at his pro day to keep his stock up with the rest of this group.

Vinny
02-25-2007, 12:46 PM
i hate this tiem of the year because there's always people coming out of the woodwork to express their displeasure for the combine.the combine is a job interview....the game film is the resume. Getting a feel for a player consists of a little of both elements. The teams get to look at the top players and meet for the first time at one place and get the meet and greet out of the way before final decisions.

kastofsna
02-25-2007, 01:17 PM
i wouldn't call the game film a resume. again, these guys aren't finished products. you have to keep in mind that they're not nearly close to finished in their learning process. most important thing in these players is their athletic ability, followed by their ability and willingness to learn, and then the committment to the game itself.

TexansSeminole
02-25-2007, 01:22 PM
Greg Olsen is fast. 4.47 for a TE

I told you guys he is the best TE.

Olsen has been the best TE prospect in the nation for at least a year. We didn't really expect him to declare, but you won't find a single post of mine saying he isn't the best TE in the draft/nation.

As goes for me.

TexansSeminole
02-25-2007, 01:24 PM
I hate this time of year because people will come out of the woodwork and claim that a guy who's not a very good football player, like Greg Olsen, should be a top 15 pick because he ran fast in shorts one day in Indy.

He struggled this year against some teams, yes. But the guy is DANGEROUS. I think he is the best TE prospect. Top 15 I don't think so. I think he will go to Chicago at 31 at the earliest.

Trap_Star
02-25-2007, 01:26 PM
He struggled this year against some teams, yes. But the guy is DANGEROUS. I think he is the best TE prospect. Top 15 I don't think so. I think he will go to Chicago at 31 at the earliest.

The saints might take him at 27...

kastofsna
02-25-2007, 01:27 PM
i'm a lifelong canes fan. olsen isn't that good. he's a good athlete, but meh...useless in blocking and doesn't have the legs to get much better there. H-back to me.

TexansSeminole
02-25-2007, 01:28 PM
The saints might take him at 27...

Yea, that area (25-35) is really where I put him. I think Chicago needs him the most but I wouldnt be suprised if he was taken earlier.

TexansSeminole
02-25-2007, 01:28 PM
i'm a lifelong canes fan. olsen isn't that good. he's a good athlete, but meh...useless in blocking and doesn't have the legs to get much better there. H-back to me.

He is like Dallas Clark. Very dangerous in the passing game. And if your a team like Chicago that already has a TE that can block...he really is an intriguing prospect.

Dr. Toro
02-25-2007, 01:31 PM

They got Des Clark... who is plenty good as a receiving threat and can stretch the field a bit too... but they are definitely a BPA team if there has ever been one. No needs except for QB. Could go DT if they wanna eventually get rid of Tank Johnson. Could go SS if Brown faces an uphill batter after a Lisfranc fracture. Could go WR if they wanna replace Muhammad eventually.

TexansSeminole
02-25-2007, 01:34 PM
They got Des Clark... who is plenty good as a receiving threat and can stretch the field a bit too... but they are definitely a BPA team if there has ever been one. No needs except for QB. Could go DT if they wanna eventually get rid of Tank Johnson. Could go SS if Brown faces an uphill batter after a Lisfranc fracture. Could go WR if they wanna replace Muhammad eventually.

Many Bears fans believe that TE is a need for them. They dont think Des has been a good enough passing threat, that's why I put Olsen there at 31. IMO he is the best TE in the draft and fits exactly what they are looking for in a new TE.

run-david-run
02-25-2007, 02:25 PM
i hate this tiem of the year because there's always people coming out of the woodwork to express their displeasure for the combine.
I dont hate the combine. It some football talk during a time of year devoid of any, so its always welcome. But I do hate all the stuff that comes with it, such as players shooting up draft boards because they ran spilt seconds faster then someone else. What is .2 seconds? Really...careers are not made of this. Someone saying, wow, if Lynch runs a 4.3 we should draft him after no one considered him a viable option irritate me. You have 2 years worth of film in one of the major football conferences in the nation and you want to base your claim on 4 something seconds instead of tangiable proof of his talent? It bothers me.

HoustonFrog
02-25-2007, 02:33 PM
I dont hate the combine. It some football talk during a time of year devoid of any, so its always welcome. But I do hate all the stuff that comes with it, such as players shooting up draft boards because they ran spilt seconds faster then someone else. What is .2 seconds? Really...careers are not made of this. Someone saying, wow, if Lynch runs a 4.3 we should draft him after no one considered him a viable option irritate me. You have 2 years worth of film in one of the major football conferences in the nation and you want to base your claim on 4 something seconds instead of tangiable proof of his talent? It bothers me.

Well said. It excites me about the draft but it bothers me that people put too much stock in it. It is definitely good to talk about young players that will be drafted though.

kastofsna
02-25-2007, 02:35 PM
speed is vital in the NFL. those extra .2 seconds can mean a world of difference. simply: you want the best athletes on the field at all times. period.

PapaL
02-25-2007, 02:51 PM
speed is vital in the NFL. those extra .2 seconds can mean a world of difference. simply: you want the best athletes on the field at all times. period.

They don't mean anything unless you can run that time with full uniform on. Some guys run fast in shorts and T-Shirts but can't run that time with pads on. Other guys can do both.

kastofsna
02-25-2007, 02:58 PM
if they can't run the same way in pads, it's because there's some technique flaw. which can obviously be corrected fairly easily.

TEXANRED
02-25-2007, 03:07 PM
Casserly isn't here anymore... :marionaner:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igNRxKai1mE Here is Brown lighting up his teammate for getting on the coaches.

:doot: :elmo: :piano:

Fire, passion, and leadership are something the Texans could use on our offensive line. If he does come here I hope he brings that same sort of attitude with him.

PapaL
02-25-2007, 03:07 PM
if they can't run the same way in pads, it's because there's some technique flaw. which can obviously be corrected fairly easily.

So Anquan Boldin has a technique flaw? They had to time his 40 with a sun dial, but people couldn't stay with him when he's padded up.

Ole Miss Texan
02-25-2007, 03:21 PM
:doot: :elmo: :piano:

Fire, passion, and leadership are something the Texans could use on our offensive line. If he does come here I hope he brings that same sort of attitude with him.

i like it. can't you just imagine levi brown on one side and charles spencer opposite him! :drool:

threetoedpete
02-25-2007, 03:43 PM

that's what I'm thinking also. You gotta block for a living in Chicago. I'll believe that one when I see it. Agreed H-back, getting a leaner Wycheck. He has value for the matchup problems. Don't think he's a three down TE. We'll see at the end of april how that translates in draft status to the thirty-two teams. Lot of sub four-four WRs on the board is all I know.

threetoedpete
02-25-2007, 03:47 PM
i like it. can't you just imagine levi brown on one side and charles spencer opposite him! :drool:

I've been dreaming of someone since Spencer went down in September. What the WR/RBs proved today is that you can find a "play maker" anywhere in day one. There is explosive speed all over the board. You don't have to spend capitol to move up and get one. They will be there, if you hold you're water, all day the first day. The OLT's however...get past the first two and you're rolling the dice on the rest of the pile . And another point, he doesn't have to be Bosselli in this system. All he has to be is a superior run blocker and have elite feet. We draft Levi, we'll get that in spades. We're going to get some explosive plays out of the left side with him and Pitts.

Ole Miss Texan
02-25-2007, 03:54 PM
All he has to be is a superior run blocker and have elite feet. We draft Levi, we'll get that in spades. We're going to get some explosive plays out of the left side with him and Pitts.

Levi has said he loves run blocking and just owning the DE.

threetoedpete
02-25-2007, 03:59 PM

Agreed. It is a large casim going from college and into the nfl. I mean you could here it in Vermeils voice when one of the college RB guys that was thought highly of jerked out a 4.6 or over. Those little studders in is voice was "UT OHs". He knows. Speed kills in the NFL. After today you should realize, there ain't a lot of great RBs out there this year. Lot of good guys, lot of role guys, but the draft isn't loaded like it was a couple of drafts ago.
And what you want your club to do this year is not waiste cap dollars and over reach for press clippings, instead of great athletes.

run-david-run
02-25-2007, 04:30 PM

There you go again. You can have the best athletes, I'll take the best players. Yes, if all things are equal you take the faster time, and athleticism is a big part of what makes a good player, but it is not the end all and be all of football, as seen 20 Sundays a year by Mike Vick, Reggie Bush, (it pains me to say it) Mario Willaims...etc, while players like Zack Thomas, DeMeco, Drew Brees, Chad Pennington etc . Obviously there are examples to counter my point, but that dosnt change the validity of my argument. Players are a lot more then just athleticism.

TexanSam
02-25-2007, 04:59 PM
I heard Calvin Johnson ran a 4.35 in the 40 at the Combine today in somebody else's shoes. They said on the radio that he told his agent he decided to run it even though he originally wasn't going to do it until Georgia Tech's pro day. He borrowed somebody's shoes and ran it that way. Not sure if that's true or not.

amazingandre
02-25-2007, 05:23 PM
100 % true about johnson

kiwitexansfan
02-25-2007, 05:39 PM
I'm loving the character that Levi Brown is showing.

Hopefully questions about some of his times stop him from clilmbing to high up other teams boards because there a few teams in front of us that could use a LT.

threetoedpete
02-25-2007, 11:42 PM
I heard Calvin Johnson ran a 4.35 in the 40 at the Combine today in somebody else's shoes. They said on the radio that he told his agent he decided to run it even though he originally wasn't going to do it until Georgia Tech's pro day. He borrowed somebody's shoes and ran it that way. Not sure if that's true or not.

True, like I posted a while back he's as fast as he needs to be. I think I heard it was the east carolina QB whos shoes he borrowed. Stand to be corrected on that one though.

Navy_Chris
02-26-2007, 12:25 AM
True, like I posted a while back he's as fast as he needs to be. I think I heard it was the east carolina QB whos shoes he borrowed. Stand to be corrected on that one though.

that's right. he did borrow pinckney's shoes. pinckney only ran a 4.75 in them, but he IS a QB. haha.

The Pencil Neck
02-26-2007, 12:28 AM

That's what they were saying on the show. And the East Carolina QB ran 4.7, so it wasn't the shoes. :)

Ole Miss Texan
02-26-2007, 12:29 AM

That'd be one hell of a plug for nike, reebock or whoever the maker was. Also if I was that QB....I'd get Calvin Johnson to autograph them.

Navy_Chris
02-26-2007, 12:35 AM
That'd be one hell of a plug for nike, reebock or whoever the maker was. Also if I was that QB....I'd get Calvin Johnson to autograph them.

you could be onto something there.

Where do we think CJ is going? It's not Oakland, because Kiffin already said Porter and Moss WILL be back.

Detroit would just be hilarious. But, they could draft CJ and trade Rogers and Williams..or something of that nature.

What do we think?

tulexan
02-26-2007, 12:38 AM
Rogers was cut last season. If they can't sign Furrey and cut Mike Williams then they could be a legitimate team to draft him regardless of their past draft history.

Ole Miss Texan
02-26-2007, 12:38 AM
I hope Atlanta trades up for him but really don't see that happening. Tampa Bay seems like the logical choice although Minnesota has been a popular trade up fit for johnson. detroit would be hilarious but would rather them take thomas, quinn.

i'd say tampa bay ...

Navy_Chris
02-26-2007, 12:41 AM
I hope Atlanta trades up for him but really don't see that happening. Tampa Bay seems like the logical choice although Minnesota has been a popular trade up fit for johnson. detroit would be hilarious but would rather them take thomas, quinn.

i'd say tampa bay ...

I personally think Tampa will end up trading down for extra picks IF Detroit drafts CJ. Gruden's on thin ice in Tampa and I think it would be wise for him not to take a chance on Adams or Anderson.

Ole Miss Texan
02-26-2007, 12:50 AM
I personally think Tampa will end up trading down for extra picks IF Detroit drafts CJ. Gruden's on thin ice in Tampa and I think it would be wise for him not to take a chance on Adams or Anderson.

isn't gruden who coached amobi okoye at the senior bowl? if so i think he fell in love with okoye...and could see him trading down to get him cuz 4 would be too high.

for that to happen...oakland would have to take russell, detroit takes johnson, cleveland takes peterson....and houston or another team trades up for joe thomas...because if not then arizona would select him. if tampa wants to trade down they better hope detroit takes CJ like you suggested and thomas falls.