PDA

View Full Version : Turner, Singletary, Rivera, Ryan, Zimmer and Mora to talk to Chargers

Kaiser Toro
02-14-2007, 07:25 AM
SAN DIEGO (Feb. 13, 2007) -- The Chargers received permission to interview four candidates to replace fired head coach Marty Schottenheimer, including one-time San Diego offensive coordinator Norv Turner.

Turner was offensive coordinator with the Chargers in 2001. He's currently the offensive coordinator of the San Francisco 49ers. He interviewed for the Dallas Cowboys' head coaching job that went to Wade Phillips, the Chargers' former defensive coordinator.

The Chargers also received permission to interview Hall of Famer 49ers assistant head coach Mike Singletary and Chicago Bears defensive coordinator Ron Rivera, both of whom interviewed for the Cowboys job. The fourth candidate is Baltimore Ravens defensive coordinator Rex Ryan.

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/SD/9995077

Kaiser Toro
02-14-2007, 07:29 AM
In a surprise twist, newly hired Falcons defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer will interview for the vacant San Diego Chargers head coaching post, according to an NFL source with knowledge of the development.

San Diego fired head coach Marty Schottenheimer Monday and contacted the Falcons Tuesday to request permission to speak with Zimmer, who was hired in mid-January to head the defense under new coach Bobby Petrino.

http://www.ajc.com/services/content/sports/falcons/stories/2007/02/13/0214zimmer.html?cxtype=rss&cxsvc=7&cxcat=21

HOU-TEX
02-14-2007, 10:28 AM
In a surprise twist, newly hired Falcons defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer will interview for the vacant San Diego Chargers head coaching post, according to an NFL source with knowledge of the development.

San Diego fired head coach Marty Schottenheimer Monday and contacted the Falcons Tuesday to request permission to speak with Zimmer, who was hired in mid-January to head the defense under new coach Bobby Petrino.

http://www.ajc.com/services/content/sports/falcons/stories/2007/02/13/0214zimmer.html?cxtype=rss&cxsvc=7&cxcat=21

Man, it appears to be getting cut throat. Did the Falcons actually give the permission to talk to Zimmer? If they did, why?

Lucky
02-14-2007, 10:48 AM
Did the Falcons actually give the permission to talk to Zimmer? If they did, why?
I don't think the Chargers or Zimmer need permission, if Zimmer is interviewing for a head coaching position.

edo783
02-14-2007, 12:22 PM
I don't think the Chargers or Zimmer need permission, if Zimmer is interviewing for a head coaching position.

You are correct sir!

Trap_Star
02-14-2007, 12:32 PM
Those this mean Pete Carroll is out of the question?...

Please_Evolve
02-14-2007, 01:27 PM
Those this mean Pete Carroll is out of the question?...

Everytime his name is brought up i wonder....why in the hell would Pete Carroll want to leave USC?!

It's like a HC gig in the NFL but he gets the players he wants, a perenial title contender, plays in a puffcake conference, and is pretty much the toast of the town in LA.

Trap_Star
02-14-2007, 01:31 PM
Everytime his name is brought up i wonder....why in the hell would Pete Carroll want to leave USC?!

It's like a HC gig in the NFL but he gets the players he wants, a perenial title contender, plays in a puffcake conference, and is pretty much the toast of the town in LA.

3 words: Reggie Bush Scandal....

Texans Horror
02-14-2007, 02:16 PM
I think the NCAAs are after Carrol, and it won't be long before he's having to deal with sanctions. That being said, he's still getting a fat wad of cash to coach in LA.

4Texans
02-14-2007, 04:46 PM
I think the NCAAs are after Carrol, and it won't be long before he's having to deal with sanctions. That being said, he's still getting a fat wad of cash to coach in LA.

If he's smart Carrol will stay at USC through any sanctions. I don't believe the alumni would run him off. He has already been a HC in the NFL without much success, and if he is thinking about going back then he should talk to Spurrier and Saban.

4Texans
02-14-2007, 04:53 PM
Back to the original topic....

IMO, the chargers still have a lot of options for a HC. Turner and Mora are the only guys with HC experience, but in todays NFL that doesn't mean anything. It's strange that the experienced HC's are not being mentioned anymore. Sherman, Capers, Green, Mariucci,,,,,,,

The chargers problem is going to be putting a assistant coaching staff together.

What a shame with all the talent they have on that team, and they were one win away from the Super Bowl.

HoustonFrog
02-14-2007, 05:49 PM
Zimmer is more of a product that he had been coaching the 3-4 with the Cowboys. That is why I think Rivera will have trouble with this job, like Dallas. Chargers have the D talent in place and won't adjust.

Texas_Thrill
02-14-2007, 06:04 PM
I think the Chargers are grasping at straws here. Though I think all of these guys are HC material. None of them fit what the chargers already do well aside from maybe Turner who has proven he's a better coordinator than HC.

The others all run the 4-3 pretty much except Zimmer.

Quite honestly none of this makes sense to me what the chargers are doing. I guess they felt like they were able to deal with it b/c of the assistants and once they were gone made no sense to keep marty?

I don't know really. I do know they are screwed no matter what. What a waste of a good team.

LT should come back home to Texas and play for US!!!! He can rush for 2500 a year. (I can dream can't I.)

Texan_Aggie222
02-14-2007, 07:20 PM
3 words: Reggie Bush Scandal....

How about Joe McKnight Scandel as well.

As for Zimmer, he coached the 4-3 as well in Dallas, he was DC under Campo as well before Parcells got there. Zimmer was kept from the Dave Campo era and taught how to coach the 3-4 under Parcells.

I think Rex Ryan will get this job. He is well deserving, and can lead this defense to become even better than his Ravens defense. Besides, I think now is the right time to jump ship in Baltimore and find himself a HC job.

Texas_Thrill
02-15-2007, 11:40 PM
How about Joe McKnight Scandel as well.

As for Zimmer, he coached the 4-3 as well in Dallas, he was DC under Campo as well before Parcells got there. Zimmer was kept from the Dave Campo era and taught how to coach the 3-4 under Parcells.

I think Rex Ryan will get this job. He is well deserving, and can lead this defense to become even better than his Ravens defense. Besides, I think now is the right time to jump ship in Baltimore and find himself a HC job.

I think Joe McKnight deserves whatever they give him under the table. The NCAA is bunch of *****holes. This kid will further cusion Petey boys millions on his contract for an extension. Get USC millions and millions in revenue.....and his family doesn't even have a home to live in? Pisses me off to no end.

Rex Ryan would be nice if he's going to run the 46. Merriman in that DEFENSE. WOW!

bluestars87
02-15-2007, 11:44 PM
I think our own Mike Singletary is going to get the job. Which sucks, because he's a really good players coach. But I guess it's better than taking Norv Turner from us. So it could be worse.