PDA

View Full Version : Chron's McClain claims Texans are actively shopping Carr

nunusguy
02-13-2007, 02:44 PM
For the first time, the Texans admitted they have received calls from teams that are interested in acquiring quarterback David Carr.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4550188.html

real
02-13-2007, 02:45 PM
Thank You.

real
02-13-2007, 02:49 PM
Smith and Kubiak would like to acquire extra draft choices.

Thats why I love 'em.

Mr. White
02-13-2007, 02:50 PM
I try to get out AND THEY PULL ME BACK IN!!!!

GP
02-13-2007, 03:14 PM
So we might gain a draft pick from trading Carr...and then we'd ship it back to Denver for Plummer?

I hope Smith & Kubiak are smarter than that.

At this point, I'm all for drafting a QB and then actively shopping Carr during camp, pre-season, and regular season. It'll push David to get better (faster) so he can get over the top here in Houston OR so he can get out of Houston and get a gig somewhere else, and it'll push the drafted QB to develop faster because he knows the job is his as soon as he can get up to speed with the offense, etc.

I see no real "win" with trading David Carr as soon as free agency begins...especially if it is with the intent to acquire Plummer which will cost us a draft pick. Gaining a pick and then losing a pick sounds fairly dumm if you ask me. Shaving a few million off cap space is about the only positive...but is it even THAT much help, especially if Plummer is pricey and he would then incur cap hits on the same level as Carr?

Is anyone else here seeing that Jake Plummer is almost the same as David Carr?

Trade Carr, then package the pick with another pick (our second rounder maybe) to move back into the first round or very early second round to acquire a QB. Therefore, you only lost one pick (in essence) and you perhaps jetted yourself back into the higher levels of talent in the late first or very early second round.

Haven't we historically been awful in the second round? I know that was the Dumb & Dumber era and all, but I say we get us two high picks and then let the magic begin in round three like it did last year. I think the second round is perhaps the most dangerous area of the draft--It's guys that are not round 1 material, but yet MIGHT be better than round 3. And guys who ARE round 2 material (Spencer) end up being available in round 3. It's madness.

kbourda
02-13-2007, 03:14 PM
For the first time, the Texans admitted they have received calls from teams that are interested in acquiring quarterback David Carr.

Not saying it isn't true but I have a hard time believing that. Why would that info be given to the Texans beat writer? Just a bunch of idle chatter. I'm con_VINCE_d that Carr is here for the duration of his contract until I see other wise.

gtexan02
02-13-2007, 03:19 PM
I called Smith earlier this afternoon and offered him two cases of Lonestar light and a 1lb jar of peanuts for Carr.

He wanted almonds, but there was no way I was going to go that high.

old football fan
02-13-2007, 03:24 PM
Gee did Smith say Carr is our starting QB??????[LEFTBut what else could he say.[/LEFT]

real
02-13-2007, 03:26 PM
So we might gain a draft pick from trading Carr...and then we'd ship it back to Denver for Plummer?

I hope Smith & Kubiak are smarter than that.

At this point, I'm all for drafting a QB and then actively shopping Carr during camp, pre-season, and regular season. It'll push David to get better (faster) so he can get over the top here in Houston OR so he can get out of Houston and get a gig somewhere else, and it'll push the drafted QB to develop faster because he knows the job is his as soon as he can get up to speed with the offense, etc.

I see no real "win" with trading David Carr as soon as free agency begins...especially if it is with the intent to acquire Plummer which will cost us a draft pick. Gaining a pick and then losing a pick sounds fairly dumm if you ask me. Shaving a few million off cap space is about the only positive...but is it even THAT much help, especially if Plummer is pricey and he would then incur cap hits on the same level as Carr?

Is anyone else here seeing that Jake Plummer is almost the same as David Carr?

Trade Carr, then package the pick with another pick (our second rounder maybe) to move back into the first round or very early second round to acquire a QB. Therefore, you only lost one pick (in essence) and you perhaps jetted yourself back into the higher levels of talent in the late first or very early second round.

Haven't we historically been awful in the second round? I know that was the Dumb & Dumber era and all, but I say we get us two high picks and then let the magic begin in round three like it did last year. I think the second round is perhaps the most dangerous area of the draft--It's guys that are not round 1 material, but yet MIGHT be better than round 3. And guys who ARE round 2 material (Spencer) end up being available in round 3. It's madness.

Honestly all of the things that you talk about in your post don't mean much to me anymore....

At some point you have to cut your loses and move on the best you can...and it's that time...

It may not be the ideal or perfect situation, but I honestly believe if they go into the the season with Carr as the QB it will hurt our franchise more in the long run, than any cap space we waste getting rid of him. The whole Carr thing has become a plague, and it consumes so much time and energy. I think if Carr is traded then we will finally be able to move on as a franchise, and try to form a new identity. I hope they move him as soon as they can.

edo783
02-13-2007, 03:28 PM
Not sure how this statement indicates any sort of trade might be imminent:

“First, let me say that David is our starting quarterback,” general manager Rick Smith said today. “I’ve fielded some calls about some of our players, including a couple of inquiries asking whether David might be available.

Could just be posturing to make the deal worth as much as possible by indicating multipule teams asking or could be press bluster to settle down the fan base and even could be a plant in the press to generate inquiries. Like I have said before....everything is for sale, if the price is right. If they don't get the right price, I suspect they go into the season with Carr as the QB I doubt they move him without knowing what they are going to do after the move. A deal with say some sort of first day pick or a player and a second day pick....then they might move him, but not unless they are pretty sure they have someone else equal to or better to use. Might be a vet or it might be they plan to grab a high ranked rookie, but I doubt they move him just to move him or cut him for that matter.

Mr. White
02-13-2007, 03:44 PM

“First, let me say that David is our starting quarterback,” general manager Rick Smith said today.

Kind of an aside...I listened to the podcast of the Mike Sherman interview from last month on 610.

He used those same words when they asked him about Carr.

kbourda
02-13-2007, 03:51 PM
It'll push David to get better (faster) so he can get over the top here in Houston

If having most of the city against him because of his play and knowing that those same people wanted someone else instead of him can't motivate him, nothing will.

Double Barrel
02-13-2007, 03:51 PM
I think Carr will be here next season until we hear otherwise from team officials.

McClain, for right or wrong, is just trying to get fans riled up with the possible hopes of moving the FO into action. But he should know from last year's draft that the Texans brass aren't swayed by the media or the public.

kbourda
02-13-2007, 03:53 PM
“First, let me say that David is our starting quarterback,” general manager Rick Smith said today.

That's all I need to hear. Carr is going no where.

kbourda
02-13-2007, 03:56 PM
I think Carr will be here next season until we hear otherwise from team officials.

McClain, for right or wrong, is just trying to get fans riled up with the possible hopes of moving the FO into action. But he should know from last year's draft that the Texans brass aren't swayed by the media or the public.

DB, i'm going to start calling you the " MB soothe sayer". I agree with you whole heartedly.

GP
02-13-2007, 03:59 PM

“First, let me say that David is our starting quarterback,” general manager Rick Smith said today. “I’ve fielded some calls about some of our players, including a couple of inquiries asking whether David might be available.

Could just be posturing to make the deal worth as much as possible by indicating multipule teams asking or could be press bluster to settle down the fan base and even could be a plant in the press to generate inquiries. Like I have said before....everything is for sale, if the price is right. If they don't get the right price, I suspect they go into the season with Carr as the QB I doubt they move him without knowing what they are going to do after the move. A deal with say some sort of first day pick or a player and a second day pick....then they might move him, but not unless they are pretty sure they have someone else equal to or better to use. Might be a vet or it might be they plan to grab a high ranked rookie, but I doubt they move him just to move him or cut him for that matter.

The last part of your post is what I am feeling on this issue.

It's easy, as a fan, to get caught up in the emotional aspects of David Carr. But as a GM, you cannot look at it through the "Well, we just need to get rid of Carr no matter what" glasses. It is business, BIG BUSINESS, to the GMs and to the owner of NFL teams.

I will be disappointed if the FO compromises and gets rid of DC "just to move on" as some are wishing.

I, too, want something dynamic to happen...and I want it NOW. If the FO is not careful; however, it can cause the same problem at QB all over again. Was it then "worth it" to just have the same issues all over again?

Jake's name is being mentioned wayyyyyyyyyyy too much in all the various NFL rumor mills. IF our team is as interested in Plummer as it is being suggested recently, then I am afraid that we'll make the move to rid the team of Carr only to have Plummer come in and not be the better "option" that he's being touted as.

I think we can ride DC fairly deep into the regular season and then try to move him before the mid-season trade deadline. I would think we could even move him during camp so he can catch on with another team who isn't liking what they have at QB.

IMO, a DC trade is not best (for us) if it's at the beginning of free agency in March. Let teams sit there with the QBs they have, let them see how sparse the QB free agency market is, and THEN they'll look for DC as the draft gets nearer and they see that they can get a veteran upgrade at QB--and he IS an upgrade over Grossman and a few others btw--instead of wasting a pick on a QB that might not pan out.

Call me crazy, but I think Plummer becomes a Bear and Carr becomes a Viking or a Bucaneer by the time this is all over with. Vikes are reportedly interested in DC--Brad Johnson is not happy in Minnesota, and the rookie they have is pretty rough around the edges from what I have seen of him late in the 2006 season.

Tampa Bay is a place where I think there is still a cloud of mystery over who is going to be starting (is Simms healthy enough?) and who will be backing the starter up (Is the other guy even capable of being a backup there?). David's a beach guy, and Tampa would possibly be the best fit for him all the way around IMO.

I think the most likely scenario is that Johnson retires OR he goes to Tampa Bay where he re-unites with Gruden. DC then goes to Vikings. Or, DC goes to Tampa Bay. It seems like a fairly logical place for those guys, IMO.

Again, I hope hope hope that the Plummer speculation will never fully materialize into an actual transaction when it's all said and done. It doesn't feel like a good fit at all.

DocBar
02-13-2007, 04:05 PM

This is the same team, granted, under new management, that let Sharper, Foreman and Glenn go with absolutely NO compensation. Never say Never.

MightyTExan
02-13-2007, 04:10 PM
It would be nice to hear from Carr. This time last season, there were plenty of articles on him and the new coach, etc............
Haven't heard a peep out of him since the last game.

HoustonFrog
02-13-2007, 04:11 PM
Honestly all of the things that you talk about in your post don't mean much to me anymore....

At some point you have to cut your loses and move on the best you can...and it's that time...

It may not be the ideal or perfect situation, but I honestly believe if they go into the the season with Carr as the QB it will hurt our franchise more in the long run, than any cap space we waste getting rid of him. The whole Carr thing has become a plague, and it consumes so much time and energy. I think if Carr is traded then we will finally be able to move on as a franchise, and try to form a new identity. I hope they move him as soon as they can.

Amen!!I've been saying this for awhile now. It has gone beyond the "can Carr play" phase. We have an owner who has questioned our QB play...finally. We have fans that debate until they are blue in the face. It has gone too far. If people think "competition" is going to make this better, they are completely folling themselves. The only thing another variable brings into this is the chance for even more people to choose sides. Carr fans will think he isn't getting a fair shake if he doesn't start and will make excuses or Carr will get booed and people will be calling for the backup. All it does is sets us back another year. For the sake of everyone involved they should cut the losses and move on with the hopes that both parties come out ahead and with a new perspective. Smith said this same thing weeks ago after it came out that Carr would be shipped. At this point it seems like he is trying to hike up the value. Ad this to the fact that Carr isn't deaf and dumb and he sees what McNair said. Let's move forward.

real
02-13-2007, 04:12 PM
Well I guess I'm alone in my thoughts because I really do not think David will be here next year...

HoustonFrog
02-13-2007, 04:14 PM
Well I guess I'm alone in my thoughts because I really do not think David will be here next year...

Nope, I'm on board with you and just responded to your message at the bottom of page 1. It would be a disaster if he is still around.

dirty steve
02-13-2007, 04:14 PM
i dont think he is either. i dont blindly root against/or criticize him, but it seems now is the best time to move on.

Mr. White
02-13-2007, 04:17 PM

I'm not going that far yet. I think he should be gone next year. The team may even want him gone. Whether the right trade comes along is another story.

Texian
02-13-2007, 04:27 PM
First the headline of this thread is bogus and misleading. McClain is making no such claims, he is just reporting what he has heard. To the contrary the Chronicle headline reads, Texans: Carr drawing some interest from other teams. Second, because a team(s) call with interest in player does not mean the Texans are actively shopping him. It means someone else is interested. IF the Texans were actively shopping then they would be the ones picking up the phone and doing the calling. The article does not state that. See how a little bias can skew an article and what it really says.

real
02-13-2007, 04:32 PM
I'm not going that far yet. I think he should be gone next year. The team may even want him gone. Whether the right trade comes along is another story.

Personally I don't see any benefits of keeping Carr on the team other than financial issues.....At this point they should be willing to take the best offer...

What would we be doing besides saving some money if we kept Carr?

He doesn't make us better, I doubt he's a locker room leader that will destroy our team chemistry if he's gone....where are the perks ? I don't think it's worth it to keep him...not for David...not for us....

I doubt that he all of a sudden gets it and turns it on next season....I don't even think he'd be the starter all the way through...All we would have is a walking talking fumbling distraction...a distraction for the fans, ownership, the coaches, and the players....I really don't see David here next year, and I'm really hoping they trade him for ours and his sake...

real
02-13-2007, 04:34 PM
First the headline of this thread is bogus and misleading. McClain is making no such claims, he is just reporting what he has heard. To the contrary the Chronicle headline reads, Texans: Carr drawing some interest from other teams. Second, because a team(s) call with interest in player does not mean the Texans are actively shopping him. It means someone else is interested. IF the Texans were actively shopping then they would be the ones picking up the phone and doing the calling. The article does not state that. See how a little bias can skew an article and what it really says.

Rick Smith was quoted as saying the Texans are shopping Carr, and McClain isn't the only one reporting this...I've heard it several times within the last hour....They said it was a public announcement....

HoustonFrog
02-13-2007, 04:35 PM
Personally I don't see any benefits of keeping Carr on the team other than financial issues.....At this point they should be willing to take the best offer...

What would we be doing besides saving some money if we kept Carr?

He doesn't make us better, I doubt he's a locker room leader that will destroy our team chemistry if he's gone....where are the perks ? I don't think it's worth it to keep him...not for David...not for us....

I doubt that he all of a sudden gets it and turns it on next season....I don't even think he'd be the starter all the way through...All we would have is a walking talking fumbling distraction...a distraction for the fans, ownership, the coaches, and the players....I really don't see David here next year, and I'm really hoping they trade him for ours and his sake...

And I GUARANTEE the minute he is gone players will fess up and say "David's a great guy and we wish him the best but the drama of who will play and what about the QB had gotten to be a distraction." It is time to move on this.

edo783
02-13-2007, 04:41 PM
Rick Smith was quoted as saying the Texans are shopping Carr.

Not sure how you got that out of the artical. He said has had calls from teams asking about players and Carr is one of them, but I didn't see anywhere he says they are calling teams or any way trying to move him. People calling yes, actively shopping....not that I read. Did I miss it?

real
02-13-2007, 04:44 PM
Not sure how you got that out of the artical. He said has had calls from teams asking about players and Carr is one of them, but I didn't see anywhere he says they are calling teams or any way trying to move him. People calling yes, actively shopping....not that I read. Did I miss it?

I haven't even read the article...I'm about to though...

I heard that info. on the radio...

Double Barrel
02-13-2007, 04:55 PM

If that radio voice was Richard Justice, don't trust it. His hatred for Carr runs deep, even to the point of admitting he has night dreams of the team moving Carr. (kind of a weird thing to dream about, if you ask me...but hey, they're his dreams)

I think the FO is actively involved with head games, like 31 other teams right now. No way do they tip their hand at this point, especially to a big mouth like McClain.

Kaiser Toro
02-13-2007, 04:57 PM
“I’ve fielded some calls about some of our players, including a couple of inquiries asking whether David might be available.

This is disappointing, but expected. There just is not much interest for this guy. June 1st is the circled date on my calendar.

Double Barrel
02-13-2007, 05:00 PM
Funny, KT, because perception is an interesting thing. I thought it was a positive sign that more than one team would be interested in Carr. :winky:

dirty steve
02-13-2007, 05:03 PM

It really has come down to that. Carr, on top of making little progress in 2006, is the face of a franchise that has never been able to get less than 2 games under .500 at the end of the year. I think change at least bring more hope, not that I dont have enough for 2007 anyway.

real
If that radio voice was Richard Justice, don't trust it. His hatred for Carr runs deep, even to the point of admitting he has night dreams of the team moving Carr. (kind of a weird thing to dream about, if you ask me...but hey, they're his dreams)

I think the FO is actively involved with head games, like 31 other teams right now. No way do they tip their hand at this point, especially to a big mouth like McClain.

I'm gonna start calling you mr. perspective....

texanfan2002114

No offense but I truely think that I heard on the radio a couple of months ago that the Astros just completed a deal to get John Garland from the White Soxs and we all saw that the deal was never completed.

Until I see Rick Smith on the NFL network saying the deal for DC is done, I'm not going to believe any idiots on the radio. Rich Lord and Charlie P. are idiots. They sit on the couch everynight just like you and I watch the games on the TV and then are on radio and express THEIR opinions. They have no inside scoops are special access to anybody in the front office.

Marc Van. seems to have more inside info on the Texans but he seems most of the times to scared to say anything, in fear for his job as the "Voice of the Texans".

These are all rumors to get you to talk about the Texans. If you should believe anything you should believe what Rick Smith says in his 1st line and that is
“First, let me say that David is our starting quarterback".

dirty steve
02-13-2007, 05:05 PM
No offense but I truely think that I heard on the radio a couple of months ago that the Astros just completed a deal to get John Garland from the White Sox and we all saw that the deal was never completed.

These are all rumors to get you to talk about the Texans. If you should believe anything you believe what Rick Smith says in his 1st line and that is
that's kind of like the vote of confidence schottenheimer received at the end of the past season.

texanfan2002114
02-13-2007, 05:09 PM
that's kind of like the vote of confidence schottenheimer received at the end of the past season.

But knowing the Spanos family (owners of the Chargers, if you didn't know) personally, Marty couldn't keep his mouth shout around AG Spanos's son and was fired for it. They both saw to different ways to run the team and Marty lost.

HoustonFrog
02-13-2007, 05:10 PM
No offense but I truely think that I heard....... . If you should believe anything you should believe what Rick Smith says in his 1st line and that is

I agree with the points on some radio guys but I wouldn't say that front office guys are too much more credible this time of year. If anything I'd say the opposite. Actually we saw this same pattern right after the season...people talked about Carr leaving and what we needed to improve..Kubiak was hemming and hawwing about Carr needing to improve and then Smith stepped in and said the team had no plans to do anything. He is the alleged straight man in this act. He steps in so as not to tip the hand one way or another.

real
02-13-2007, 05:11 PM

Like DB said....

The Texans are just playing mind games....

Not too long ago I think Bob McNair said the same thing....

Then he came back a little while later and basically refuted his own statement....

Kaiser Toro
02-13-2007, 05:11 PM
Funny, KT, because perception is an interesting thing. I thought it was a positive sign that more than one team would be interested in Carr. :winky:

A couple is two and that represents 6% of the league having interest. Does not surprise me and chaps my hide even more due to not allowing him to test the market last year and then re-signing under new terms, above market value, which would have been most likely less than the contract we are currently in.

Double Barrel
02-13-2007, 05:15 PM
A couple is two and that represents 6% of the league having interest. Does not surprise me and chaps my hide even more due to not allowing him to test the market last year and then re-signing under new terms, above market value, which would have been most likely less than the contract we are currently in.

Understandable, KT, but two is better than none, yeah? :winky:

We can't live in the past, bro'. What's done is done and we just have to live with the fact that we have a newbie owner that will [hopefully] learn from his experiences.

Honoring Earl 34
02-13-2007, 05:20 PM

We can't live in the past, bro'. What's done is done and we just have to live with the fact that we have a newbie owner that will [hopefully] learn from his experiences.

I think you got to keep in mind that maybe 10 teams would be interested .

real
02-13-2007, 05:24 PM
If he was being literal....couple=2

Kaiser Toro
02-13-2007, 05:24 PM

Not living in the past, but looking forward to June 1st. ;)

Double Barrel
02-13-2007, 05:26 PM
Not living in the past, but looking forward to June 1st. ;)

oh for so many reasons! (pre-season would only be a month away at that point!!!)

real
02-13-2007, 05:35 PM
So I was thinking....

Why have the Texans all of a sudden been more outward with the fact that David is available ?

Maybe there haven't been any calls about David at all, and they're just trying to shake things up and get word out that he's available...

Mr. White
02-13-2007, 05:43 PM

I think that most of the other teams in the market for a QB would rather have Plummer or Garcia anyway. Once they get snatched up, then I would think they would get more calls about Carr.

K.D.
02-13-2007, 05:49 PM
My question is not only bout Carr, but who are the other players that were asked if they are available. To me, this is pretty interesting too. I have 1 guy in mind and i would say Babin is drawing some attention. As for Carr, like some guys say i'm not going to believe it until i see it. I really can't decide on Carr right now, cuz i still believe the guy can be productive w/solid RB play and legit protection. But I'm also leaning to the fact that it might be time for a change. I will say this again, HELL-NO to plummer, this is not a upgrade whatsoever. I wouldn't care if he won SB's under Kubiak. This guy lost his starting qb job to a rookie for a reason, he's washed up.

nunusguy
02-13-2007, 06:20 PM
First the headline of this thread is bogus and misleading.

When the Texans decide they want to test the market for a trade involving
David Carr (or any other player(s)), I don't think they sit down and fire off
an E-Mail to a team about their desire to trade a player and then copy all other NFL teams. I suspect their marketing tactics would be a more subtle and sophistcated than that.
Like talking to intermediators behind the scenes, or granting interviews to local sports reporters about conversations they are having with other teams about fielding inquirers and questions about the player, and acting as if they (the Texans) are mildly indifferent all the time.

bah007
02-13-2007, 06:39 PM
Looks like a case of McClain just writing what he hopes will happen.

Honoring Earl 34
02-13-2007, 06:57 PM
Looks like a case of McClain just writing what he hopes will happen.

I heard it on the radio .

SESupergenius
02-13-2007, 06:58 PM
By now I hope you all have learned that the Houston media does a horrible job in covering the Texans...both in season and off. This is no different. We can really only assume things once it happens. We've heard over and over through the local media that player such and such is going to a Texans and that player XXX is going to be cut. The media knows nothing about what management doing.

Mr. White
02-13-2007, 07:03 PM
By now I hope you all have learned that the Houston media does a horrible job in covering the Texans...both in season and off. This is no different. We can really only assume things once it happens. We've heard over and over through the local media that player such and such is going to a Texans and that player XXX is going to be cut. The media knows nothing about what management doing.

The media didn't make up the quotes from Bob McNair and Rick Smith.

One thing's for sure. This is the first time we've heard this stuff about Carr. If there wasn't something to it, then this would have gotten squashed a long time ago.

ledzeppelin229
02-13-2007, 07:10 PM
I think part of it is just plain honesty. Right now, compared to the other QBs on the roster, Carr IS the team's starter. Not to mention there is no point in hitting reverse with the bus after already running over him once by saying they are actively trying to get rid of him. They know that fans are ready to parade around with any statement that resembles Carr being gone, so they need to stay conservative on at least a couple fronts until the guy has actually been moved and a replacement found.

trublu
02-13-2007, 07:14 PM

I heard it on the NFL channel on Sirius satellite radio. They said the Texans are openly shopping for Carr; trying to get draft picks. I tend not to believe too much of the local media because there is an obvious bias, but on satellite radio they have been pretty much on point.

ib4texans
02-13-2007, 07:16 PM

Exactly how many other teams beside us has shown any interest in Plummer at this point? I'd be shocked if there are more than two. The only reason we allegedly are is because he knows the system,without that I doubt we would be willing to even look at him.

Kaiser Toro
02-13-2007, 07:42 PM
Exactly how many other teams beside us has shown any interest in Plummer at this point? I'd be shocked if there are more than two. The only reason we allegedly are is because he knows the system,without that I doubt we would be willing to even look at him.

I have no clue and frankly don't care. Plummer is not the answer in my opinion and does not make sense fiscally.

Forget the QB position in FA and spend dollars on acquiring talent.

amazingandre
02-13-2007, 07:44 PM
NFL NETWORK HAS REPORTED THIS TOO...... man it think its a shame to get rid of him. i like him and think the decision of trading or releasing will come back and bit us in the rear.....imagine if jags pick him up and they smoke us and hey win a sb.....how dumb will all of you feel......he isnt the number pick in 02 for nothing...we ruined him so why not fix him????GET HIM AN OLINE!!!!!!!NOT HARD TO COMPREHEND IS IT?

Texian
02-13-2007, 07:48 PM
When the Texans decide they want to test the market for a trade involving
David Carr (or any other player(s)), I don't think they sit down and fire off
an E-Mail to a team about their desire to trade a player and then copy all other NFL teams. I suspect their marketing tactics would be a more subtle and sophistcated than that.
Like talking to intermediators behind the scenes, or granting interviews to local sports reporters about conversations they are having with other teams about fielding inquirers and questions about the player, and acting as if they (the Texans) are mildly indifferent all the time.

They can do it a hundred different ways but your title is still false and misleading. McClain did not make any claims and according to the article the Texans are not actively shopping Carr. The Chronicle headline and story simply do not corroborate either.

ledzeppelin229
02-13-2007, 07:58 PM
I have no clue and frankly don't care. Plummer is not the answer in my opinion and does not make sense fiscally.

Forget the QB position in FA and spend dollars on acquiring talent.

So in your scenario if Carr is gone, does Sage start the year? Because I really don't want to throw a rookie in from the very beginning, even if they seem ready initially.

dat_boy_yec
02-13-2007, 08:02 PM
I think the national media follows the local media after a while. I remember last yr. it became a foregone conclusion that we would draft Bush. Now I have to question where they get their info and why it is that they don't have any people from the Texans organization making statements. I believe they are just going along with the flow.

Mr. White
02-13-2007, 08:10 PM
I think the national media follows the local media after a while. I remember last yr. it became a foregone conclusion that we would draft Bush. Now I have to question where they get their info and why it is that they don't have any people from the Texans organization making statements. I believe they are just going along with the flow.

Last year, Casserly was leaking info to the national media (Chris Mortenson) when it wasn't really his call about who would get drafted.

I remember a Justice blog entry in which he said as much. Since then, I've heard John and Lance say the same thing.

I still believe that the Texans had every intention of drafting Bush until McNair smelled a scandal.

Kaiser Toro
02-13-2007, 08:20 PM
So in your scenario if Carr is gone, does Sage start the year? Because I really don't want to throw a rookie in from the very beginning, even if they seem ready initially.

Drop Carr and make it known that the QB position is wide open. Sage has been under Kubiak for a year and is coming off a fractured right thumb. His strength is familiarity. Bring in a couple of journeyman and draft a QB in the mid rounds. Imagine a QB competition next year and imagine everyone thinking that if I do not compete now in my position I may be gone tomorrow. And bam! The culture of losing is gone.

old football fan
02-13-2007, 08:58 PM
All sports writters and reporters put there spin on anything they hear. athey are not there to report the pure facts but are there to create a story inorder to receive all the attention from the interested fans. Richard Justice is nothing but an uneducated jerk. John McClain spends more time pimping his girls and trying to be a movie critic. Will the Texans trade David Carr??? I don't know because my name isn't Richard Smith, Gary Kubiak, McNair or David Carr. They are the only ones who will know anything. I do respect all of your opinions and value your great insight into football, but on this subject we are all wishful thinkers.

Mr. White
02-13-2007, 09:07 PM
John McClain spends more time pimping his girls and trying to be a movie critic. Will the Texans trade David Carr???

lol...rep coming. I just got one hell of a mental image of John McClain wearing a lime green suit and platform shoes while he's driving around in a '79 Thunderbird.

Lucky
02-13-2007, 09:50 PM
...Bring in a couple of journeyman and draft a QB in the mid rounds. Imagine a QB competition next year and imagine everyone thinking that if I do not compete now in my position I may be gone tomorrow. And bam! The culture of losing is gone.
Sounds like the Texans '06 plan for the running back position. How did that work out?

You can't ask Kubiak to put his job on the line for journeymen & sleeper picks. If he wants Plummer, they have to go out and get him. If it's a mistake, it's his mistake. Not Casserly's, not Caper's. Kubiak deserves the right to bring in (or keep) the players he wants.

run-david-run
02-13-2007, 09:51 PM
This is the same team, granted, under new management, that let Sharper, Foreman and Glenn go with absolutely NO compensation. Never say Never.

Umm, the only thing this team and that one share are the name. This is a new ear. Things like "we always drafted this or that" or "we've gone D-line 3 years in a row in the 1st" dont apply, because Rick Smith has no resposibility to the past decisions of this franchise and the mistakes that where made. He just needs to look at talent level, not draft position and paycheck.

HJam72
02-13-2007, 10:22 PM
Hurray, for the new ear!!! :marionaner:

:includeme:

ryansisgod
02-13-2007, 11:22 PM
yeah i guess its not just McClain, just watching Total Access and Adam Shefter just said the same thing about "entertaining offers about QB David Carr".

dont know if somebody already said this, didn't feel like reading the whole 4 pages.

Texas_Thrill
02-13-2007, 11:28 PM
when i see an OFFICIAL trade has taken place....i'll believe it. until then i'm expecting carr to be back and better (oh god pleeeease pleease end world hunger and let david be better....in no particular order).

Arky
02-13-2007, 11:46 PM

Cool pic of Flanagan (?) in the background.

Way to go Mike! LOL

awtysst
02-14-2007, 12:04 AM
I called Smith earlier this afternoon and offered him two cases of Lonestar light and a 1lb jar of peanuts for Carr.

POST OF THE DAY!!!!

I would give you rep, but i cant.

JamesC
02-14-2007, 12:37 AM
Thinking about the QB situation kinda depresses me cause there's nobody out there to get excited about.

Arky
02-14-2007, 03:32 AM
If you're referring to the picture below, your post is indicative of what's wrong with the Texans fanbase IMO (at least a good portion of it).

Your post seems to indicate that the player in the background has performed poorly and is deserving of your criticism..?
There's no context to support that view point.
You don't know by this picture if this is even a sack. It could be a bootleg for all you know.
It could be that the player in the background beat his man and is looking for another man to engage for all we can tell from this image.
What if the play is a screen that was blown up, and that player is exactly where he is supposed to be? (OK, that seems unlikely, given his position)

My point is that some people are so eager to FIND something to criticize that they will basically go out of their way to spin something into a negative when, in fact, it is open to any number of interpretations... some negative and some positive.
I suppose you feel like you displayed creative thinking here, or that you were able to glean some information from this photo that the less informed fan couldn't see, but your wrong... you used a fairly innocuous photo to support your effort in spewing negativity, as if there isn't enough to go around already.
Unfortunately, you're not original around here... you are yet another in the vast heard of 'fans' who don't seem satisfied with all of the legitimate problems that the team has, and feel compelled to cook up and regurgitate some of your own...

Way to go Arky! LOL

[/rant]

If I misinterpreted your meaning, then here is my apology in advance... but I'm pretty sure I got it right...

D00d, I could never be as negative as you have just been. :)

I'm finding this forum filled with a bunch of sourpusses and I"m now going to have to include you, too.

First off, leave it to the Chronicle to show a very unflattering pic of DC - they don't like him anyway.

Second, ya, you really did misinterpret. Can you think of a more humorous thing to say about that pic? :) If I was to caption it, I would say the same thing. When I thought of it, it just struck me as funny. Sounds like it really offended you....

Kaiser Toro
02-14-2007, 07:08 AM
Sounds like the Texans '06 plan for the running back position. How did that work out?

You can't ask Kubiak to put his job on the line for journeymen & sleeper picks. If he wants Plummer, they have to go out and get him. If it's a mistake, it's his mistake. Not Casserly's, not Caper's. Kubiak deserves the right to bring in (or keep) the players he wants.

Worked out well seeing how we won 4 more games than the year before and are now in a position to have the #1 back fall to us and not have to pay #1 money for another offensive skill position player. We also took the ball out of the passing game the last quarter of the season and we did pretty well as we were the last team to beat the Super Bowl Champions among others.

Moreover, if you buy into the fact that Kubiak is a QB guru then we should expect him to develop QBs to just manage the game. I have not seen anything to think he is a genius and his hire of Shanny makes even doubt his genius more.

I can't argue with 200% growth YoY, but it makes you scratch your head on how we got there.

QB75
02-14-2007, 07:30 AM

Although I am not in favor of trading David, I have to admit that your post made me laugh. Good one. :laughjump:

thunderkyss
02-14-2007, 07:51 AM
I find it suspicious that this info is out there.

I find it even more suspicious that there are inquiries about our QB. I wonder if they are the "a third round pick sounds reasonable" kind of inquiries, or the, "Are you serious" kind of inquiries......

I say that, not because I think so poorly of David, but because of the attitude shown towards David the last 4/5 weeks of the season. If I were another team wanting David, I'd just wait. I wouldn't think the Texans would bring him back as a back-up for $5.5 million, & I wouldn't think he'd be the starter in '07.

Does anyone know what Jeff Garcia, Joey Harrington, Pat Ramsey & Jon Kitna made last year??

QB75
02-14-2007, 07:52 AM

I'm not sure that the fact that Rick Smith has "admitted receiving inquiries" means that the Texans are "actively shopping" David Carr. Nevertheless, it should be no surprise that a number of other teams would be interested in Carr if the Texans are, in fact, open to trading him.

Kaiser Toro
02-14-2007, 07:59 AM
I'm not sure that the fact that Rick Smith has "admitted receiving inquiries" means that the Texans are "actively shopping" David Carr. Nevertheless, it should be no surprise that a number of other teams would be interested in Carr if the Texans are, in fact, open to trading him.

One of the best pro Carr statements ever.

MightyTExan
02-14-2007, 08:40 AM
Didn't want to start a new thread,but
Whoa.
http://www.sportsline.com/mcc/messages/chrono/1426619

David Carr would be a very interesting proposition. With an o-line he could be deadly, in fact if D.Carr was under center in the Super Bowl, the confetti would be coming down for the Da Bears.

tulexan
02-14-2007, 08:53 AM
What about Dre Bly for Carr straight up?

Honoring Earl 34
02-14-2007, 08:57 AM

I would think that once a team admits to trying to trade you ... their about two weeks into the process .

If I were Carr ... I would welcome a change of scenery . If his whole problem was lack of OL , playmakers , RBs , and caoching I would want to go somewhere to resurrect my career .

nunusguy
02-14-2007, 08:58 AM
If the Texans trade or release Carr, who is scheduled to make $5.5 million this year and $6 million next year, the salary cap hit would be only $2 million.
The Texans paid Carr $8 million last March to extend his contract for three years. His base salary in 2006 was $5.25 million.
The Texans made the decision to extend Carr for three years early enough to prorate the $8 million bonus over four years rather than three — $2 million per year for cap purposes.
Under a new rule, teams can designate two players as June 1 casualties without waiting until June 1 to trade or waive them. If Carr is designated as a June 1 player, he'll cost $2 million this year and $2 million in 2008 against the cap.
This is from an amended version of McClains story in this mornings paper.
The cap hit is not as bad as I'd thought, if he's got the numbers right in
a trade/release scenario for the contract option the Texans executed
this time last year ?

OzzO
02-14-2007, 09:21 AM
Just caught the end of David Dulotti on 790 this morning, he was mentioning the same thing (not sure if he got it from McClain's notes) but that a "couple of teams interested" may be just trying to bump up the interest from other teams. He thought that possibly a 4th or 5th round trade, in comparison to what Harrington's deal was, but was wondering how interest can be there for a losing QB that's been beat up for 5 years.

Side note, he also mentioned the Texans are wanting to restructure Payne's, Wong's, and DDW's contracts. If I recall correctly, DDW is apparently seeing the team physician again 'cause the knee just doesn't feel right.

real
02-14-2007, 09:24 AM
What about Dre Bly for Carr straight up?

I like that...

Meloy
02-14-2007, 09:28 AM
lol...rep coming. I just got one hell of a mental image of John McClain wearing a lime green suit and platform shoes while he's driving around in a '79 Thunderbird.He borrowed the suit from Calvin Murphy. Don't know about the Tbird.

Buffi2
02-14-2007, 09:43 AM
Another Plummer to Texans article -

http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/2007/02/texans-plummer-perfectmatch140207.html

At 32 years of age and coming off a subpar season that saw him complete only 55 percent of his passes en route to a 68.8 quarterback rating, it would be easy to see why most NFL teams might avoid Plummer -- but these are the Texans we're talking about.

I love that last line.

Plummer is the perfect caretaker while Kubiak finds the star talent at quarterback the Texans so desperately need.The Texans need a player who can elude the rush -- they still haven't fixed a porous offensive line that has been a problem ever since they came into existence. Plummer, even at 32, fits the bill.

And it's not just about mobility. For all the talent in his legs, Carr has never really seemed to grasp the concept of pocket presence. Few quarterbacks have been more proficient at it than Plummer. He was sacked only 69 times over the last four seasons.

I'm not really crazy about Plummer - but if we win, I don't care who it is behind the center.

HOU-TEX
02-14-2007, 10:10 AM

It looks to be a little more than just pro Carr. I think it's more along the lines of infatuation. lol:secret:

Blake
02-14-2007, 10:19 AM
I just dont see Carr going anywhere.

#1. The Texans are going to want more than what teams are going to want to give up.

#2. I Believe the Texans and Kubiak still want to stick with Carr another year.

#3. You dont Pass on Young, Cutler and Leinart if you dont have strong thoughts of Carr. Its going to take more than one bad year to shake Gary's confidence in Carr.

I really think Carr will at LEAST play out his extension with the Texans. And if he takes the Texans to the playoffs he will get another extension.

El Amigo Invisible
02-14-2007, 10:22 AM
We should really try to get our money's worth. That money is the reason we did not draft Vince.

real
02-14-2007, 10:24 AM
I just dont see Carr going anywhere.
#1. The Texans are going to want more than what teams are going to want to give up.

Doesn't everyone want more than what teams want to give up in every trade ?

The Patriots wanted a first rd. pick for Branch...which IMO, is, was, and is always going to be ridiculous...

If the Texans want to move Carr, the offers shouldn't be what holds them back.

immabullsfan
02-14-2007, 10:27 AM
I Agree W Truroyalty....at This Point That Would Be Stupid...if They Are Going To Try To Get Jake "the Worm" Plummer..then We Need Carr Around...do You Guys Not Understand What Just Happened To The Cowboys???? Pocket Q B's Are Becoming The Past , Nd In A Hurry...(you Can Thank Michael Vick) And Parcells Was Old School...kub Is New School...and Hopefully He's Smart Enough To Not Let Us Go From A Possible Cadillac Escalade To A 91' Ford Bronco...qb's Have Arms And Legs These Days And It's Rare You Get A Guy Like Carr Who Is Not Scared To Run Outside The Pocket...................

Texian
02-14-2007, 10:29 AM

Is it possible the reason the Texans admitted for the first time that they have recieved calls about Carr is because it is the first time they have recieved calls?

real
02-14-2007, 10:34 AM
I Agree W Truroyalty....at This Point That Would Be Stupid...if They Are Going To Try To Get Jake "the Worm" Plummer..then We Need Carr Around...do You Guys Not Understand What Just Happened To The Cowboys???? Pocket Q B's Are Becoming The Past , Nd In A Hurry...(you Can Thank Michael Vick) And Parcells Was Old School...kub Is New School...and Hopefully He's Smart Enough To Not Let Us Go From A Possible Cadillac Escalade To A 91' Ford Bronco...qb's Have Arms And Legs These Days And It's Rare You Get A Guy Like Carr Who Is Not Scared To Run Outside The Pocket...................

No...

You don't agree with me....

I want Carr out of here on the next thing smoking....

SamuraiSword
02-14-2007, 10:38 AM
Just caught the end of David Dulotti on 790 this morning, he was mentioning the same thing (not sure if he got it from McClain's notes) but that a "couple of teams interested" may be just trying to bump up the interest from other teams. He thought that possibly a 4th or 5th round trade, in comparison to what Harrington's deal was, but was wondering how interest can be there for a losing QB that's been beat up for 5 years.

Side note, he also mentioned the Texans are wanting to restructure Payne's, Wong's, and DDW's contracts. If I recall correctly, DDW is apparently seeing the team physician again 'cause the knee just doesn't feel right.

Yeah I heard that as well on 790. I am glad they are at least working on restructuring their contracts. They are making way too much for their low production. I am surprised they are not restructuring David's contract as well.

real
02-14-2007, 10:40 AM
That'd send up a red flag and lower his trade value.

michaelm
02-14-2007, 10:44 AM
D00d, I could never be as negative as you have just been. :)

I'm finding this forum filled with a bunch of sourpusses and I"m now going to have to include you, too.

First off, leave it to the Chronicle to show a very unflattering pic of DC - they don't like him anyway.

Second, ya, you really did misinterpret. Can you think of a more humorous thing to say about that pic? :) If I was to caption it, I would say the same thing. When I thought of it, it just struck me as funny. Sounds like it really offended you....

ehh... it just kind of caught me in sort of a mood. I see your point about how I could come across as a sourpuss in my response. Maybe I overdramatized that one a bit... I still stand by the main idea of my post that there tends to be an abundance of negativity on the boards, but perhaps I should have expressed myself rather than venting... I certainly don't want to be part of the problem...
Carry on man, no hard feelings.

GP
02-14-2007, 10:58 AM
These are all rumors to get you to talk about the Texans. If you should believe anything you should believe what Rick Smith says in his 1st line and that is

Rule No. 1 as it relates to sports:

When a top dog says "Coach's job is safe," or "So-and-so is our starting QB" it means that he won't be the coach or he won't be the QB much longer.

Why?

Because it's the polite thing to do when you're on national television and some reporter has just asked you to talk smack about the coach or the QB.

And if you believe otherwise, then I guess you're entitled to that belief.

But I have seen it happen over and over again.

The last nail in DC's coffin, IMO, is that Rick Smith said "He is our starting QB."

That's all anybody needs to see, IMO, to see that the GM wants to move DC.

Should be interesting to see how this all plays out.

Lucky
02-14-2007, 11:09 AM
Worked out well seeing how we won 4 more games than the year before and are now in a position to have the #1 back fall to us and not have to pay #1 money for another offensive skill position player.
Well, that's a lot of points you've tied together. Yes, the Texans did make a 4 game improvement from the '05 season. But without gross incompetence, bad luck, and Kris Brown's right foot, the Texans could have won 6 games in 2005. If there's a reason the Texans did improve over the '05 season, it's the late season defense resurgence (led by DROY DeMeco Ryans) that was most responsible.

I wouldn't count my Adrian Peterson eggs before the Draft Bunny hides them. I'm not sure what that means, but get back to me on 4/28.

Bottom line, who's going to tell Gary Kubiak he can't have Jake Plummer? And who's going to tell the season ticket holders that Sage Rosenfels is the starting QB?

fdknuckles
02-14-2007, 11:38 AM
Does anyone think a Carr/ Thomas Jones trade with the Bears could be worked out?

HOU-TEX
02-14-2007, 11:46 AM
Does anyone think a Carr/ Thomas Jones trade with the Bears could be worked out?

I think practically any trade can be worked out in the NFL eventually. I'd be all over that trade. I like Jones, but I think we'd have to give up a little more than just Carr. JMO:shades:

Lucky
02-14-2007, 11:51 AM
Why would a Super Bowl team want to trade their best RB?

Double Barrel
02-14-2007, 11:54 AM
Pocket Q B's Are Becoming The Past , Nd In A Hurry...(you Can Thank Michael Vick)

Wha....? :um:

yeah, 'thing of the past'...please tell that to Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Phillip Rivers, Rex Grossman (you know, most of the QBs in the playoffs). :ok:

p.s. Where was Michael Vick in the playoffs? oh, yeah, watching them on his couch like the rest of us

trutxn
02-14-2007, 11:54 AM
[QUOTE=Lucky;596761]

I wouldn't count my Adrian Peterson eggs before the Draft Bunny hides them. I'm not sure what that means, but get back to me on 4/28.

[/to QUOTE]

The Lions and Browns are also interested in Adrian, don't think we will be lucky enought to land him.

MightyTExan
02-14-2007, 12:00 PM
Another update:
http://www.twincities.com/mld/pioneerpress/16693302.htm
Rumors persist that the Vikings could trade with the Houston Texans for quarterback David Carr, 27, who might cost just a fourth-round draft pick.

This is actually starting to get interesting. Don't you love the offseason?

HOU-TEX
02-14-2007, 12:04 PM
Another update:
Rumors persist that the Vikings could trade with the Houston Texans for quarterback David Carr, 27, who might cost just a fourth-round draft pick.

Hmm...it also appears Fred Smoot might be available. Interesting!:yes:

NATHANHALE
02-14-2007, 12:07 PM

...running out of the pocket is not Carr's problem--just the opposite--working the pocket is, which is ironic because Carr was a pocket passer in college and seldom ran.

trutxn
02-14-2007, 12:07 PM
Not saying it isn't true but I have a hard time believing that. Why would that info be given to the Texans beat writer? Just a bunch of idle chatter. I'm con_VINCE_d that Carr is here for the duration of his contract until I see other wise.

Texans brass would look foolish for giving Carr his extension last year if they are just going to get rid of him now. If he was to be traded, last year should have been the year, at least teams did not know his abilities, they still were blaming the o-line. Now they can see clear as day that Carr just makes bad decisions. Hopefully Kubiak can break Carr's bad habits.

Plummer is just an older Carr, he is not even a quick fix. People say that he knows the system, well so does Carr. The only way Carr will be traded is if it makes the TEAM better, there are not any free agents available that will do that.

Minotaur
02-14-2007, 12:10 PM
My blog-site has info, and sources:

nflrumors.blogspot.com

edo783
02-14-2007, 12:14 PM
Rule No. 1 as it relates to sports:

When a top dog says "Coach's job is safe," or "So-and-so is our starting QB" it means that he won't be the coach or he won't be the QB much longer.

Why?

Because it's the polite thing to do when you're on national television and some reporter has just asked you to talk smack about the coach or the QB.

And if you believe otherwise, then I guess you're entitled to that belief.

But I have seen it happen over and over again.

The last nail in DC's coffin, IMO, is that Rick Smith said "He is our starting QB."

That's all anybody needs to see, IMO, to see that the GM wants to move DC.

Should be interesting to see how this all plays out.

OK, your saying he is going because Smith says he is the starter. Other posters were saying "The club hasn't stated he is starting, he must be going". It would be good if you guys could figure out which it is, because it's getting to be a bit like reading/talking to a women who forgot her Midol. (appologies to the women posters, just stated for effect)

Buckle
02-14-2007, 12:19 PM
...running out of the pocket is not Carr's problem--just the opposite--working the pocket is, which is ironic because Carr was a pocket passer in college and seldom ran.

Being in an offense that wanted him to stay in the pocket for 4 years behind an o-line that couldn't block for anything and getting sacked 50+ times every year will do that to ya. Once we get consistent protection from our o-line and he knows that he can trust them to give him time to throw a clean ball I believe we will see a much different and improved Carr!

cowboy62
02-14-2007, 12:23 PM
i heard that dallas was going to trade romo for carr:hmmm:

real
02-14-2007, 12:24 PM
Being in an offense that wanted him to stay in the pocket for 4 years behind an o-line that couldn't block for anything and getting sacked 50+ times every year will do that to ya. Once we get consistent protection from our o-line and he knows that he can trust them to give him time to throw a clean ball I believe we will see a much different and improved Carr!

Buddy...

I doubt you'll be seeing that whether he stays or goes...

petedy
02-14-2007, 12:25 PM
David, will be gone by June 1st whether to the Vikings or to another team.Kubiak wants him gone and since he is the head coach the front office will give it to him.Then they'll trade for Plummer and unload Dominic Williams as well.This is going to be a completely new team by the time Kubiak gets done.As for Carr the rumor has it there are several teams looking to get him and this could take awhile.Plus it doesn't make the off season so boring with all this crap.I get this from my nephew who played for USC and has a lot of friends playing in the NFL.This could make the Texans front office dizzy and could end up getting what they want a third round draft pick and maybe a defensive player another team wants to unload.I myself was hoping Kubiak would give David another year to learn but I could see in his eyes that he believes Carr is damaged goods.

michaelm
02-14-2007, 12:52 PM
He borrowed the suitS from Calvin Murphy. Don't know about the Tbird.

Fixed it for you...

Calvin obviously had four or even five identical lime green suits that were sewn together if it (they) fit John McClain...

fdknuckles
02-14-2007, 01:01 PM
Why would a Super Bowl team want to trade their best RB?

There have been alot of trade rumors surrounding Thomas in Chicago and I bet he could be had for Carr and a 3rd round pick. It would kill 2 birds with 1 stone and avoid a huge cap hit.

Hulk75
02-14-2007, 01:02 PM
David, will be gone by June 1st whether to the Vikings or to another team.Kubiak wants him gone and since he is the head coach the front office will give it to him.Then they'll trade for Plummer and unload Dominic Williams as well.This is going to be a completely new team by the time Kubiak gets done.As for Carr the rumor has it there are several teams looking to get him and this could take awhile.Plus it doesn't make the off season so boring with all this crap.I get this from my nephew who played for USC and has a lot of friends playing in the NFL.This could make the Texans front office dizzy and could end up getting what they want a third round draft pick and maybe a defensive player another team wants to unload.I myself was hoping Kubiak would give David another year to learn but I could see in his eyes that he believes Carr is damaged goods.

The most truthfull thing I have ever said right here...........I heard:winky: that there are 20 teams that have allready said they were interested in trading for him. So now you can know what several is.

srstex
02-14-2007, 01:09 PM
I find it odd that 20 teams are interested in Carr, and our coaching staff thinks they can do better, for our sake Kubiak/Smith better be the ones that are right.
On a seperate note LaVarr Arrington is out of a job, we could do worse at OLB, should we go for him, Ryans-Greenwood-Arrington, sounds good to me.
For caps sake, we are in for $5 million for Gary Walker this year, that was Casserly for ya.

Hulk75
02-14-2007, 01:14 PM
I find it odd that 20 teams are interested in Carr, and our coaching staff thinks they can do better, for our sake Kubiak/Smith better be the ones that are right.
On a seperate note LaVarr Arrington is out of a job, we could do worse at OLB, should we go for him, Ryans-Greenwood-Arrington, sounds good to me.
For caps sake, we are in for $5 million for Gary Walker this year, that was Casserly for ya.

? I dont know, but I would bet everything I have for what I said.

petedy
02-14-2007, 01:20 PM
The most truthfull thing I have ever said right here...........I heard:winky: that there are 20 teams that have allready said they were interested in trading for him. So now you can know what several is.

From what I understand there are about 5 teams that are truly interested in Carr and I don't know about twenty unless you are making fun of my last post.:aikido:

Hulk75
02-14-2007, 01:34 PM
From what I understand there are about 5 teams that are truly interested in Carr and I don't know about twenty unless you are making fun of my last post.:aikido:

Trust me, I know who does and who does not want him. And so far the count is 20.

Mr. White
02-14-2007, 01:53 PM
Another update:

Looks like the story's growing legs now. It's not a matter of if now, but when.

trutxn
02-14-2007, 02:00 PM
...I get this from my nephew who played for USC and has a lot of friends playing in the NFL.

No disrespect to you or your nephew, but unless you are in the meetings with Kubes and Smith, you have no clue. Just because your nephew knows players in the league means nothing about the Texans front office strategies. They do not always make the "popular" choice, as we all know too well.

jerek
02-14-2007, 02:20 PM
Having read many times the boldfaced yet obviously falsified proclamations of posters who have friends "in the know" in the past and even now, I think it's relevant to point out that "knowing someone" who works with the team doesn't always amount to much (let alone being able to trust a poster who says he/she knows someone.) As an example I know someone who works directly with the Texans in player ops. His desk is literally down the hall from that of the coaching staff, scouts, and GM ... and even he doesn't always know what's going on. Relevant to the current topic, for instance, he has heard very little about Carr being shopped around, inquired after, or dealt. Does this mean the media is simply talking out of their butts right now, or does this mean my friend just doesn't know what is really going on regarding Carr right now? Could be either one at this point.

I simply smile to read of all of these media reports circulating (and the faith or blind hope that so many posters are putting in them) to the effect that Carr will be dealt, when I remember very clearly how much more emphatically the media was reporting on our drafting of Reggie Bush last year. Hell, I reported (http://forums.houstontexans.com/showthread.php?t=21868&highlight=mario+williams) on Mario being drafted hours before any news source (including the Chron and ESPN) did, and I'm just a Texans geek like any of the rest of you. The media didn't know then, about a much bigger and far more certain story; why should they know so much better now?

I occasionally play the I-know-someone card when it's relevant (and it has been many times) but I tend to take it all with a big grain of salt.

MightyTExan
02-14-2007, 02:47 PM
So if all of these teams are interested in Carr, do we keep him?

Hulk75
02-14-2007, 03:03 PM
Having read many times the boldfaced yet obviously falsified proclamations of posters who have friends "in the know" in the past and even now, I think it's relevant to point out that "knowing someone" who works with the team doesn't always amount to much (let alone being able to trust a poster who says he/she knows someone.) As an example I know someone who works directly with the Texans in player ops. His desk is literally down the hall from that of the coaching staff, scouts, and GM ... and even he doesn't always know what's going on. Relevant to the current topic, for instance, he has heard very little about Carr being shopped around, inquired after, or dealt. Does this mean the media is simply talking out of their butts right now, or does this mean my friend just doesn't know what is really going on regarding Carr right now? Could be either one at this point.

I simply smile to read of all of these media reports circulating (and the faith or blind hope that so many posters are putting in them) to the effect that Carr will be dealt, when I remember very clearly how much more emphatically the media was reporting on our drafting of Reggie Bush last year. Hell, I reported (http://forums.houstontexans.com/showthread.php?t=21868&highlight=mario+williams) on Mario being drafted hours before any news source (including the Chron and ESPN) did, and I'm just a Texans geek like any of the rest of you. The media didn't know then, about a much bigger and far more certain story; why should they know so much better now?

I occasionally play the I-know-someone card when it's relevant (and it has been many times) but I tend to take it all with a big grain of salt.

Well, some of us here things from peoples agents, ex coaches and business managers, NObody knew anything about the Reggie Bush deal, I will tell you something though they were going to take him, up untill the last night before the draft.
Believe who you wish, but some of us know things and like to share them. Other then Reggie not being here I think I have been pretty accurate.

TPIMP
02-14-2007, 03:12 PM
Why would the Texans talk about it at all? To me it could be one of two reasons:

1. They are trying to get teams to make offers and drive up the price.

2. They strategically floated the info at a time when season ticket holders are being asked to renew.

Only time will tell.

trutxn
02-14-2007, 03:32 PM
Only time will tell.

This is for you Mrs. Cleo want to be's

TexansSeminole
02-14-2007, 03:46 PM
So if all of these teams are interested in Carr, do we keep him?

No, it does not matter what other teams think of him we have seen what he brings to our team. I say we wait for the best deal. Hopefully that involves some draft picks.

Texian
02-14-2007, 04:05 PM
McClain is actively shopping Carr, I am not so sure about the Texans.

Meloy
02-14-2007, 04:07 PM
For caps sake, we are in for $5 million for Gary Walker this year, that was Casserly for ya.Just like Kubiak a lot of coaches think they can fix a player where others did not. See Pbuc and probably others.

texans83
02-14-2007, 04:33 PM
Just like Kubiak a lot of coaches think they can fix a player where others did not. See Pbuc and probably others.

IMO I think david will get fixed with a Oline that can protect and at a new team

Double Barrel
02-14-2007, 04:35 PM
Trust me, I know who does and who does not want him. And so far the count is 20.

But DC is not going anywhere...well, according to you. :winky: Right?

McClain is actively shopping Carr, I am not so sure about the Texans.

That's funny because it's probably closer to the truth than anything! :heh:

jerek
02-14-2007, 05:24 PM
Well, some of us here things from peoples agents, ex coaches and business managers, NObody knew anything about the Reggie Bush deal, I will tell you something though they were going to take him, up untill the last night before the draft.
Believe who you wish, but some of us know things and like to share them. Other then Reggie not being here I think I have been pretty accurate.

You miss my point. I just wish that some of us who are sharing misinformation would put a sock in it, but it's not my job to censor frenzied speculation and false reports. The point of my post was to attempt to emphasize that even within the Texans organization, many staff or players--let alone their representatives--do not necessarily know what is going on at any given moment. There were times this year I'd get wind of player cuts before the players did and I refrained from posting the news, but my friends with the team were also totally in the dark about other deals, like the Gado trade. Again, point being, it seems frivolous to me to run with any piece of news from the Fred the security guard or an agent not connected to the player in question.

I think you said it best, though, when you said "believe who you wish." Good advice and I'll continue to follow it, just as I'm sure you and others will.

QB75
02-14-2007, 05:35 PM
It looks to be a little more than just pro Carr. I think it's more along the lines of infatuation. lol:secret:

No, actually it's called an "unbiased opinion"; something you you don't see a lot of on this board. :loser

HoustonFrog
02-14-2007, 05:36 PM
No, actually it's called an "unbiased opinion"; something you you don't see a lot of on this board. :loser

LOL..unbiased ..is that what some of the pro-daves are calling it..lol. I've seen alot more from regular Texan fans on here.

ArlingtonTexan
02-14-2007, 06:38 PM

Hulk,

Last time, I remember reading something from you wasn't Carr the no questions asked QB for the Texans in 2007?

Seriously, the key is level of interest. Are there 20 teams willing to pay a first day pick and give Carr the starting job? Probably not. If the Texans would take a 7th with Carr restructuring and settling to be a back-up heck I guess that 31 teams would be interested in that.

When the tire kicking is finished, and serious talks commence if the Texans are going to trade Carr, there are going to be only a couple of teams willing to give up a mid-round pick (3rd-5th) and allow David a legitimate shot at being the QB.

Hulk75
02-14-2007, 08:53 PM

That's funny because it's probably closer to the truth than anything! :heh:

When did I say he was leaving? OOOOOOOO you forgot about that, I never said that, I simply said there are teams interested in him.:)

NFLforher
02-14-2007, 09:10 PM

QB75
02-14-2007, 09:10 PM
When did I say he was leaving? OOOOOOOO you forgot about that, I never said that, I simply said there are teams interested in him.:)

Unbiased, my eye! Nevermind, It's not even worth getting into. You can go your way(Davids undergarments) and I'll go my way(a path towards a winning team).:ok:

Right. You wouldn't know how to identify a "path towards a winning team".

edo783
02-14-2007, 09:36 PM
Right now, the only ones openly and activley shopping Carr are the Chronic and folks on this board (that may not actualy be a bad thing, gets the buzz going). Is the club listening to proposals....I sure hope so. Dumb if they aren't. Are they calling teams up and asking "What would you give?", I seriously doubt that. Would they move him...in a heart beat for the right offer AND (and this is a pretty big and), they have someone they are very confident can get the job done as well or better than Carr and depending on how they see the draft/FA will dictate how long they will need that person. Until those two items line up, they wont be very interested in moving him IMO.

aj.
02-14-2007, 09:53 PM
Hmmmm. Warming trend.

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/forecast/MapClick.php?CityName=Minneapolis&state=MN&site=MPX

Does anyone else think it's more than a coincidence that the high temp in MSP tomorrow is 8? That has to be proof of something.

thunderkyss
02-14-2007, 10:03 PM
Right now, the only ones openly and activley shopping Carr are the Chronic and folks on this board. Is the club listning to proposals....I sure hope so. Dumb if they aren't. Are they calling teams up and asking "What would you give?", I seriously doubt that. Would they move him...in a heart beat for the right offer AND (and this is a pretty big and), they have someone they are very confident can get the job done as well or better than Carr and depending on how they see the draft/FA will dictate how long they will need that person. Until those two items line up, they wont be very interested in moving him IMO.

Who do you think leaked that Carr might be available at the Senior Bowl??

How much football do you think Plummer/Garcia have left in them. I'd say at least three years performing at a probowl level.... which they've proven they can do...... But 5 years of good football.... for sure.

Do I believe CArr will be here next year?? Sure I do. Do I think he gives us the best chance?? hayelll no. & I don't think he gave us the best chance in '06.

It would have been nice to see Sage play with the #1s in Preseason, or start a regular season game so that we could really say for sure, but he looked like he was playing at a higher level than the 2s & 3s he saw in Preseason, and Carr looked like he was playing out of his class as well.

& I'm not a big Plummer fan, but you can't deny Kubiak has seen more success with Jake than he has with Carr.

Honoring Earl 34
02-14-2007, 10:17 PM
Hmmmm. Warming trend.

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/forecast/MapClick.php?CityName=Minneapolis&state=MN&site=MPX

Does anyone else think it's more than a coincidence that the high temp in MSP tomorrow is 8? That has to be proof of something.

Your better than a Ouji Board AJ .

HJam72
02-14-2007, 10:21 PM
Hmmmm. Warming trend.

I don't know, but I here it's gonna get warmer EVERY MONTH until like next Fall!!! :francis:

SamuraiSword
02-14-2007, 11:30 PM
IMO I think david will get fixed with a Oline that can protect and at a new team

*cough* bears *cough*

Just look at what Rex Grossman did......He screwed up so bad in the superbowl even with all the pieces in tact. How do you know if Carr would be that sucessful??

Ibar_Harry
02-14-2007, 11:59 PM
*cough* bears *cough*

Just look at what Rex Grossman did......He screwed up so bad in the superbowl even with all the pieces in tact. How do you know if Carr would be that sucessful??

Carr and Berrian where one of the best combos in college. I have often said Berrian helped Carr more than the other way around. I think this is the big X factor in this whole senario. I would not think Carr would like to be a Bear, but the idea of having Berrian as a primary receiver once again could be a big plus. Chicago can dominate defensively and can relieve some pressure on the QB by giving the QB more opportunities. I still think Oakland or the Bears are the two most probable teams. One other factor would be if suddenly Tedford decided he would accept a coaching position in the NFL. If that happened then Carr would instantly want to be traded.

Carr has great faith in Tedford. How do I know that, well the writer of the article that started this thread has told me that before in a private email when I mentioned Carr and Tedford.

thunderkyss
02-15-2007, 10:33 AM
OK, your saying he is going because Smith says he is the starter.

nothing personal edo........ & you aren't the only person guilty of doing this.

But it would make it soooooo much easier to read & Understand what you(& others) are trying to say if you'd use the correct word "you're"

you're= you are.

totally different from "your" which implies possession of something.

"Your saying he is going because Smith says he is the starter."

at first it translate to:

Your saying,"he is going because Smith says he is the starter." which doesnt' make sense.

so I figured you meant:

You're saying he is going because Smith says he is the starter.

with the understanding that you meant the latter, your argument(see how I did that??) makes sense...... & I agree with what you are saying.

But GPshafer didn't make the argument about David not being explicitly named the starter.... so you can't hold him to the conflicting sides of the argument.

HJam72
02-15-2007, 10:40 AM
I get it. Your telling them that they should use the right form of your so that your understanding of it will be correct when your reading it, and then your argument will make sense when your talking back. I think your waisting your time. They'll never get your meaning like I do.

Your welcome. :shades:

QB75
02-15-2007, 10:04 PM
No disrespect to you or your nephew, but unless you are in the meetings with Kubes and Smith, you have no clue. Just because your nephew knows players in the league means nothing about the Texans front office strategies. They do not always make the "popular" choice, as we all know too well.

Thank goodness for that.

thunderkyss
02-15-2007, 11:27 PM
I get it. Your telling them that they should use the right form of your so that your understanding of it will be correct when your reading it, and then your argument will make sense when your talking back. I think your waisting your time. They'll never get your meaning like I do.

Your welcome. :shades:

:shades:

jerek
02-16-2007, 10:13 AM
nothing personal edo........ & you aren't the only person guilty of doing this.

But it would make it soooooo much easier to read & Understand what you(& others) are trying to say if you'd use the correct word "you're"

you're= you are.

totally different from "your" which implies possession of something.

"Your saying he is going because Smith says he is the starter."

at first it translate to:

Your saying,"he is going because Smith says he is the starter." which doesnt' make sense.

so I figured you meant:

You're saying he is going because Smith says he is the starter.

I don't ordinarily nitpick grammar and spelling but this might be the ugliest example of the pot calling the kettle black I've ever seen. You're consistently all over the map with your capitilization, punctuation (for instance, ............. is not proper and drives me nuts personally) and spacing, though at least you typically spell pretty well. Your mistakes are also common (meaning that everyone else makes them too) and I don't expect everyone here to hold a masters in English but I had to point out the irony I perceive in your post.

HJam72
02-16-2007, 11:47 AM
Why...........................is everyone 'plaining 'bout you're speling? Your gonna havta gettalong.

I'd love to gripe about Jerek's grammar right now, but I can't think of anything. It would just fit really nicely here.

I did learn a lot about the work nitpick though. :)

thunderkyss
02-16-2007, 11:55 AM
I don't ordinarily nitpick grammar and spelling but this might be the ugliest example of the pot calling the kettle black I've ever seen. You're consistently all over the map with your capitilization, punctuation (for instance, ............. is not proper and drives me nuts personally) and spacing, though at least you typically spell pretty well. Your mistakes are also common (meaning that everyone else makes them too) and I don't expect everyone here to hold a masters in English but I had to point out the irony I perceive in your post.

it might drive you batty.... & my punctuation mistakes are usually intentional.

The......... thing, in my mind, notates a pause longer than what would generally be taken for a comma. The following statement generally doesn't break from the original subject matter completely, or severely enough to warrant a period.

If we were talking face to face, it would make more sense( I think) where you see the ellipses, imagine a pause in speach.

The Capitalization thing...... that's a bad habit. Has to do with my handwriting, where there really aren't capital letters...... there are just big letters, and small letters....

My mistakes may make it difficult for you to read. It makes it easy for me to group my ideas(however insignificant they may be). But other mistakes (like the one I illustrated in that quote(grammatical error, I know), makes it difficult to comprehend.

they're....... their. To...... too. your........ you're. We're...... were.

I mean why complain about ya'll, but say nothing about you're/your.

jerek
02-16-2007, 11:56 AM
Why...........................is everyone 'plaining 'bout you're speling? Your gonna havta gettalong.

I'd love to gripe about Jerek's grammar right now, but I can't think of anything. It would just fit really nicely here.

I did learn a lot about the work nitpick though. :)

I know I make mistakes as well. I frequently misuse commas and write too conversationally at times. I don't always use words according to their precise definitions among other errors. Again, I don't think I or anyone else should have to write perfectly on a message board of all places (though the subliterate posts you do often see here irritate me, as I think the internet has contributed generally to the dumbing down of America in some respects.)

Just pointing out that I think it ironic that TK criticizes Edo misusing you're/your when each of his own posts are an exhibition of grammatical errors.

HJam72
02-16-2007, 11:57 AM
Ya'll gonna get you're **** ( oooops!) together....................or what?

:drunk:

jerek
02-16-2007, 11:58 AM
it might drive you batty.... & my punctuation mistakes are usually intentional.

The......... thing, in my mind, notates a pause longer than what would generally be taken for a comma. The following statement generally doesn't break from the original subject matter completely, or severely enough to warrant a period.

If we were talking face to face, it would make more sense( I think) where you see the ellipses, imagine a pause in speach.

The Capitalization thing...... that's a bad habit. Has to do with my handwriting, where there really aren't capital letters...... there are just big letters, and small letters....

My mistakes may make it difficult for you to read. It makes it easy for me to group my ideas(however insignificant they may be). But other mistakes (like the one I illustrated in that quote(grammatical error, I know), makes it difficult to comprehend.

they're....... their. To...... too. your........ you're. We're...... were.

I mean why complain about ya'll, but say nothing about you're/your.

... is the correct ellipsis that you are looking for. Three periods.

I know what you mean about speaking face to face and writing as you envision yourself talking directly to someone else in your mind. As mentioned previously, I tend to overuse commas to indicate a pause as if I was speaking, where it is inappropriate or not proper to use them grammatically in writing. I'm not trying to dog you for making mistakes since we all make them, so no offense I hope.

HJam72
02-16-2007, 12:00 PM
i ForGot tO use BIG lowercase letters and sMall cApitol onEs. :secret:

thunderkyss
02-16-2007, 12:03 PM
I know I make mistakes as well. I frequently misuse commas and write too conversationally at times. I don't always use words according to their precise definitions among other errors. Again, I don't think I or anyone else should have to write perfectly on a message board of all places (though the subliterate posts you do often see here irritate me, as I think the internet has contributed generally to the dumbing down of America in some respects.)

Just pointing out that I think it ironic that TK criticizes Edo misusing you're/your when each of his own posts are an exhibition of grammatical errors.

grammatical??

does the misuse of punctuation fall under "grammatical" or are you saying that I'm misusing words as well??

the two question mark thing.... I can't tell you the why behind that, but I do it all the time as well........... sorry.

thunderkyss
02-16-2007, 12:04 PM

now your just being mean.

:stirpot:

jerek
02-16-2007, 12:05 PM
grammatical??

does the misuse of punctuation fall under "grammatical" or are you saying that I'm misusing words as well??

the two question mark thing.... I can't tell you the why behind that, but I do it all the time as well........... sorry.

Case in point about my use of words not according to their precise definition (when I was complaining specifically about your punctuation), though your grammar is sometimes incorrect as well. Multiple question marks also drive me nuts, but feel free to use them if it works for you.

Having said that I think I'll bow out of this thread before I satirize myself any further. :winky:

HJam72
02-16-2007, 12:05 PM
half u noticed tat da mor u guyz talk the worst my grammataker is? Your confuscating me.

PS-I'm getting tired and stupid again. Typical morning.

thunderkyss
02-16-2007, 12:09 PM
half u noticed tat da mor u guyz talk the worst my grammataker is? Your confuscating me.

PS-I'm getting tired and stupid again. Typical morning.

this is silly.

forget I said anything about using the wrong word for the wrong thing...

Let's get back to talking about trading David to the 'bucs...

the poor bastard.

Double Barrel
02-16-2007, 12:32 PM

:winky: <--- indicates humorous intent.

I never even implied that you said DC was leaving. I just found it interesting that you, of all folks, would be pointing out how many teams are interesting in taking our starting QB off our hands (especially after stating that he's a stone, cold lock to be here in 2007).

As far as it just being speculation, I have to wonder why this type of trade scenario was not speculated much the past two off-seasons. There was never this much doubt that Carr was our QB...until now.

El Amigo Invisible
02-16-2007, 01:46 PM
:winky: <--- indicates humorous intent.

I never even implied that you said DC was leaving. I just found it interesting that you, of all folks, would be pointing out how many teams are interesting in taking our starting QB off our hands (especially after stating that he's a stone, cold lock to be here in 2007).

As far as it just being speculation, I have to wonder why this type of trade scenario was not speculated much the past two off-seasons. There was never this much doubt that Carr was our QB...until now.

All I want is a second rounder for him! Thats it. Done deal.:shades:

the wonger need food
02-16-2007, 02:09 PM

Yeah right. 20 teams are looking for a $5 million plus backup quarterback that can't read defenses, can't see more than 10 yards downfield and drops into the fetal position every time he senses any pressure. Hulk, this one makes your all-time top 3 ridiculously attempting to defend your brother statements. BTW... where are you guys shopping for houses right about now?

swtbound07
02-16-2007, 02:20 PM

I don't trust you to know what you had for breakfast. Just for the sake of proving you don't know what your talking about, lets eliminate 12 of the remaining 31 teams in the nfl to make it 19. I believe its about 5, but whatever, lets just kill you with math.

1) Atlanta Falcons- Michael Vick has a huge contract, and Matt Schaub is considered one of the leagues premier backups. Obviously not a Carr destination.

2) New Orleans Saints- Just signed Drew Brees last year, he had a spectacular season. I'm assuming your implying that 20 teams have interest in Carr as a starter, and obviously Carr doesn't have a prayer of beating out drew brees.

3) San Diego Chargers- Take everything i said about new orleans, but use "phillip rivers" instead.

4) New York Giants- they have a lot of money tied up in Eli Manning, and he has led them to the playoffs.

5) Philidelphia Eagles- Have too many quarterbacks as it is, with the brewing controversy between Mcnabb and Jeff Garcia. Adding another would be stupid at best.

6) Tennessee Titans- They have VY. VY is better then carr will ever dream of being. Not a possible destination at all.

7) New England Patriots- Tom Brady. not even gonna dignify this one.

8) Indianapolis Colts- PEY-TON MAN-NING.

9) Cinncinati Bengals- Carson Palmer is younger than Carr, and a pro-bowler. Carr can't compete here either

10) Washington redskins- Traded up in the draft to get Jason Campbell, are committed to working him out and letting him be their qb of the future

11) Dallas Cowboys- Tony Romo, in spite of his issues holding snaps, is a lock to be the starter next season. There won't be any controversy in dallas.

12) Denver Broncos- Have both Jake Plummer and Jay Cutler on roster at the present time, and have handed the reins over to cutler. Carr won't come in and start here either.

Allright, now your at 19. Care to edit your original post? Or if you want to admit that carr is nothing more than a glorified backup, then sure he could go to most of these places and be a very expensive benchwarmer.

The Pencil Neck
02-16-2007, 02:28 PM
All I want is a second rounder for him! Thats it. Done deal.:shades:

I'm easy. I'll take a 6th.

And feel guilty because I took whoever I dealt with to the cleaners.

ib4texans
02-16-2007, 02:28 PM
I don't trust you to know what you had for breakfast. Just for the sake of proving you don't know what your talking about, lets eliminate 12 of the remaining 31 teams in the nfl to make it 19. I believe its about 5, but whatever, lets just kill you with math.

1) Atlanta Falcons- Michael Vick has a huge contract, and Matt Schaub is considered one of the leagues premier backups. Obviously not a Carr destination.

2) New Orleans Saints- Just signed Drew Brees last year, he had a spectacular season. I'm assuming your implying that 20 teams have interest in Carr as a starter, and obviously Carr doesn't have a prayer of beating out drew brees.

3) San Diego Chargers- Take everything i said about new orleans, but use "phillip rivers" instead.

4) New York Giants- they have a lot of money tied up in Eli Manning, and he has led them to the playoffs.

5) Philidelphia Eagles- Have too many quarterbacks as it is, with the brewing controversy between Mcnabb and Jeff Garcia. Adding another would be stupid at best.

6) Tennessee Titans- They have VY. VY is better then carr will ever dream of being. Not a possible destination at all.

9) Cinncinati Bengals- Carson Palmer is younger than Carr, and a pro-bowler. Carr can't compete here either

10) Washington redskins- Traded up in the draft to get Jason Campbell, are committed to working him out and letting him be their qb of the future

11) Dallas Cowboys- Tony Romo, in spite of his issues holding snaps, is a lock to be the starter next season. There won't be any controversy in dallas.

12) Denver Broncos- Have both Jake Plummer and Jay Cutler on roster at the present time, and have handed the reins over to cutler. Carr won't come in and start here either.

Allright, now your at 19. Care to edit your original post? Or if you want to admit that carr is nothing more than a glorified backup, then sure he could go to most of these places and be a very expensive benchwarmer.

swtbound07

Oh my word, you changed your avatar! Now how are people going to be able to respond to your posts? You have taken away their most powerful weapon and rendered them helpless.

HoustonFrog
02-16-2007, 02:32 PM

Excellent post bro. Add to that

Arizona Cardinals--Just drafted Leinart and he is their future

swtbound07
02-16-2007, 02:34 PM
swtbound07

Oh my word, you changed your avatar! Now how are people going to be able to respond to your posts? You have taken away their most powerful weapon and rendered them helpless.

im curious as to that myself

SamuraiSword
02-16-2007, 02:34 PM

dood you so 1337 dawg!

:bubble:

Texan_Bill
02-16-2007, 02:44 PM

Good points, but let's play "Point - Counter-Point":

1) Atlanta Falcons- If the Falcons could pick up Carr, relatively cheap, that would free them to use Schaub as trade bait getting more in return.

2) New Orleans Saints- Who is Drew Brees' back-up?

3) San Diego Chargers- Same as 2) above

4) New York Giants- True about Eli, but he will be on a short rope next season.

5) Philidelphia Eagles- McNabb has been injury prone and Garcia is like 67 years old.

6) Tennessee Titans- If VY were to go down, who would fill in? Kerry Collins?

7) New England Patriots- Tom Brady. not even gonna dignify this one. I hear you. No counter-point.

8) Indianapolis Colts- PEY-TON MAN-NING. He is considered in his prime, but he can't go on forever.

9) Cinncinati Bengals- Carson Palmer is younger than Carr, and a pro-bowler. Carr can't compete here either. I am okay with this one too.

10) Washington redskins- Carr would make a nice little insurance policy. Afterall, we ALL know about "QB's of the future and how well that worked out for us.

11) Dallas Cowboys- Tony Romo was a little shakey towards the home stretch. I think some people think that they jury is still out on him.

12) Denver Broncos- Plummer won't stay there to be a back-up to Cutler, but it would be too weird if Carr wound up here.

I think some people will have interest in Carr as solid back-up and value him that way instead of necessarily a starting QB.

swtbound07
02-16-2007, 02:47 PM
Good points, but let's play "Point - Counter-Point":

I think some people will have interest in Carr as solid back-up and value him that way instead of necessarily a starting QB.

Like I said, I rescend my arguement if Hulk admits that Carr is nothing more than a backup qb. Man wants to say Carr could start for 20 other teams, and thats just not even close to true

Honoring Earl 34
02-16-2007, 02:50 PM
I think Carr would have to restructure severly to go to a team with an elite QB .

Texan_Bill
02-16-2007, 03:00 PM
I think Carr would have to restructure severly to go to a team with an elite QB .

That's exactly why it won't be as easy to trade him as people think. Why would any team take on his contract in a trade rather than wait for the Texans to cut him - outright?

Honoring Earl 34
02-16-2007, 03:01 PM
It would be hard to have 10-12 million on QBs alone .

Texan_Bill
02-16-2007, 03:03 PM
Like I said, I rescend my arguement if Hulk admits that Carr is nothing more than a backup qb. Man wants to say Carr could start for 20 other teams, and thats just not even close to true

I hear you SWT.

My counterpoints were just meant for fun and to show him merely in a back-up scenario.

ledzeppelin229
02-16-2007, 03:05 PM

Carr could start for 31 other teams, if any of those teams were angling for the #1 draft pick next season. Hell, that might even be a selling point to a couple of them. Include that in the powerpoint.

QB75
02-17-2007, 10:18 PM
Carr could start for 31 other teams, if any of those teams were angling for the #1 draft pick next season. Hell, that might even be a selling point to a couple of them. Include that in the powerpoint.

He will end up starting for one NFL team though, whether here or somewhere else.

swtbound07
02-17-2007, 10:21 PM
He will end up starting for one NFL team though, whether here or somewhere else.

I doubt very seriously carr makes it through another full season as starter ANYWHERE...whether he goes, or stays, he will wind up losing his job and being benchfodder

QB75
02-17-2007, 10:23 PM
I doubt very seriously carr makes it through another full season as starter ANYWHERE...whether he goes, or stays, he will wind up losing his job and being benchfodder

Doubt it all you want, just don't bet too much on it. :blah:

swtbound07
02-17-2007, 10:32 PM
Doubt it all you want, just don't bet too much on it. :blah:

I'll bet any amount of money, or any particular wager you can dream up. I will put my money where my mouth is on my opinions....care to step up and back up your drivel?

Texian
02-17-2007, 11:26 PM

Kinda of like Plummer?

tsip
02-18-2007, 02:01 AM
...maybe the Ravens, Vikings, Raiders, Browns, Miami, Panthers--however, McNair and Delhome are tough--don't know about Culpepper...even Grossman in just his first full season led the Bears to the SB with 3200yds/23tds

Carr's got 2 things working against him 1) has not had a big season start to finish/12tds a yr in 5 seasons ain't much and 2) he makes big money...

No doubt, alot of teams want Carr to stay in Houston because he is un proven and teams know to even have a chance to succeed, Carr has to have top-notch talent around him...and even that is not a guarantee.

JMO, but I believe the 'umbrella' of excuses Carr has existed under are going to haunt him---how ironic that would be for his survival to depend upon all the rhetoric his supporters have been 'exspousing' on for years...how poetic!...I smell a re-worked contract with performance laden criteria...

thunderkyss
02-18-2007, 02:36 AM
The Dolphins spent big money to get Culpepper, & they gave up a 4th round pick for Harrington, plus a bunch of cash. I think they've taken themselves out of the QB market.

Kastofana would like for them to draft Brady Quinn, but if he's there, I don't think they'll pull the trigger because of the money they already have tied up in the QB position.

Sure, New Orleans has 100 million tied up in Running backs, and the Falcons & Colts have 100 million in QB. But I think it would be a big mistake for the Dolphins to go down that road.

The Browns have two QBs that are better than David Carr right now.

Ravens, have alot of money in QB right now as well.

Raiders...... after what they just saw?? -5 yards... being outplayed by Aaron Brooks... that would be funny. I'd like to see that go down.

I can see the Vikings.... I can see the Panthers... competing for the job. I can see a back-up spot in St. Louis..

HOOK'EM
02-18-2007, 05:10 AM
The Dolphins spent big money to get Culpepper, & they gave up a 4th round pick for Harrington, plus a bunch of cash. I think they've taken themselves out of the QB market.

Kastofana would like for them to draft Brady Quinn, but if he's there, I don't think they'll pull the trigger because of the money they already have tied up in the QB position.

Sure, New Orleans has 100 million tied up in Running backs, and the Falcons & Colts have 100 million in QB. But I think it would be a big mistake for the Dolphins to go down that road.

The Browns have two QBs that are better than David Carr right now.

Ravens, have alot of money in QB right now as well.

Raiders...... after what they just saw?? -5 yards... being outplayed by Aaron Brooks... that would be funny. I'd like to see that go down.

I can see the Vikings.... I can see the Panthers... competing for the job. I can see a back-up spot in St. Louis..

Carr could probrably beat out Simms.

TwinSisters
02-18-2007, 12:00 PM

Kiffin.

Never underestimate the power of the alumni.

Plus they haven't drafted a good QB since 1968.