PDA

View Full Version : 2008 QB Draft Class...

Ole Miss Texan
02-12-2007, 06:53 PM
I know this is early but I was kind of wanting to look ahead to next year's QB's. It is very very likely Russell will be chosen before us this year, Not very many people would want us to draft Quinn if he fell to us. That leaves us Stanton in the 2nd? Troy Smith, Kevin Kolb...etc. There are pros and cons for all these guys...but with a team like us with so many other needs i wouldn't be surprised if we didn't draft one this year. i expect to see carr/sage....maybe plummer. for next season

So that brings us to 2008, possibly picking up a QB in the draft. David Carr would have 1 year left on this team if he stays...and they don't give him another 3 year ext. !!! maybe plummer would be here but i'd hope it'd be a short contract.

Brian Brohm- Louisville
Chad Henne- Michigan
Colt Brennan- Hawaii
JohnDavid Booty- USC
Erik Ainge- Tennessee

Those are the top 5 i think. What are the pros/cons for each guy...who do yall really like, would want us to draft.. it's hard to tell where these guys will go w/ next season still having to be played out.

I don't know much about any of them but my fav is Brohm..i'm really impressed with him. I would hope he would fall to us and think he could be a great fit. I see him as the #1 QB...hands down right now. and will probably be picked before us...i hope we don't have that bad of a season next year.

Feel free to talk about other QB's we could draft...thanks..

Texian
02-12-2007, 07:01 PM
I think the Texans really missed out when Brian Brohm went back to school. If their intention was to draft a QB I think he has the best makeup of this year's class and next year class. There was a good chance Brohm would have been available at 8.

AlbinoRat
02-12-2007, 07:12 PM
Brennan plays for Hawaii-Con
Ainge doesn't play decent under pressure. Needs lots of time. Instead consider Brent Schaeffer (now at Ole Miss) really improved passer, but can scramble. Makes smart plays and does much better without any time to make reads. More mature QB

Trap_Star
02-12-2007, 07:16 PM
None of those guys have a "wow" factor. I only like Brohm, but he just cant seem to stay healthy...

Ole Miss Texan
02-12-2007, 08:05 PM
Instead consider Brent Schaeffer (now at Ole Miss) really improved passer, but can scramble. Makes smart plays and does much better without any time to make reads. More mature QB

If we draft Schaeffer I will instantly lose all respect for this FO...unless he really picks it up this next season. I watched all his games last season..and its been sad. I bought his jersey as a joke and everyone laughs when i wear it....it was on clearance for $14.99. Luckily we got Jeavan Snead...so I hope he picks up the #7 when Shcaefer leaves.

AlbinoRat
02-12-2007, 08:07 PM
To clarify, I didn't mean to draft him anytime before round 6. But i wouldnt get ainge before then either.

YoungTexanFan
02-12-2007, 08:09 PM
Well, I'm not overly fond of the QB's next year. I think that Ainge and Brohm will battle for top QB next year. Ainge losing Meachem hurts, and Brohm losing Bush and his Coach hurts.

I don't remember if Perilloux is a JR or not, but watch out for this kid.

Trap_Star
02-12-2007, 08:11 PM
Well, I'm not overly fond of the QB's next year. I think that Ainge and Brohm will battle for top QB next year. Ainge losing Meachem hurts, and Brohm losing Bush and his Coach hurts.

He'll be a RS soph...

Ole Miss Texan
02-12-2007, 08:13 PM
To clarify, I didn't mean to draft him anytime before round 6.

Yea I figured you were talking about him way down there. Michael Spurlock is similar to him...I think he got drafted last year by the Cards? he's more of a receiver/returnman not I believe. he was qb for ole miss.

I don't really want us to pick up a quarterback on the 2nd day unless our staff absolutetly loves him. The chances of him making it to even our 3rd string would be so minimal...i'd rather take a chance on oline depth for like a back up or get lucky with a guy that has a better chance to start. Of course qb's in rds 1-3 still aren't sure things by any means...but they're usually much better. And I know tom brady was drafted in like the 6th but let's get serious-that's like winning the lotter.

AndreRulz
02-13-2007, 06:52 AM
colt brennan
pros: strong arm, accurate, can run a little
cons: plays in weaker conference, too skinny (6'3 190lbs.), needs to get up to 205/210 lbs., poise/leadership(very quiet)

Texans Horror
02-13-2007, 08:13 AM
A year is a long ways away, but I think I like those guys over the ones the Texans would take this year. In fact, I'd rather we build the team up, give Carr/Plummer a year at helm, and then decide on trading up to get one of these guys.

TexanSam
02-13-2007, 02:07 PM

No way Perilloux would enter the draft next year. He hasn't even played at LSU.

NEROtheZERO
02-13-2007, 03:21 PM
I'm no draft expert but from everything I have read and seen, Brohm does not fit our system at all. He is an immobile pocket passer without the ability to scrmable or throw on the run. That is the antithesis of what we need under center.

real
02-13-2007, 03:41 PM
Honestly so far, none of these QB's really impress me.

Nawzer
02-13-2007, 04:03 PM
Although the class doesn't look strong I think if a guy like Chad Henne has a big year he could propel himself to the top of the draft class. From the Texans point of view it will all depend obviously on how well the team does next year. If either Carr or Plummer or whoever does not perform well we may take a look at a guy like John David Booty.

bah007
02-13-2007, 04:20 PM
Although the class doesn't look strong I think if a guy like Chad Henne has a big year he could propel himself to the top of the draft class. From the Texans point of view it will all depend obviously on how well the team does next year. If either Carr or Plummer or whoever does not perform well we may take a look at a guy like John David Booty.

It would take some incredible numbers for me to want Henne on our team.

I have watched all of Michigan's games for the past two years and he is not very impressive at all.

He has a good strong arm and he is accurate on his deep balls.

But he has absolutely zero touch on his passes. He throws a 2 yd slant with the same velocity that he throws a 20 yd out or a deep post.

He also makes too many mistakes under pressure, and he is constantly under pressure because he holds the ball forever.

No thanks.

Michael Hart. Sure.

Chad Henne. Pass.

real
02-13-2007, 04:26 PM
Chad Henne. Pass.

I'm with you...

He doesn't impress me much either...

Dionysus22
02-13-2007, 06:09 PM

I'm still kinda bitter about the Perilloux situation. He committed to Texas but changed his mind at the last minute to LSU because he wanted to play right away and thought he would sit behind VY at UT. But now look at 'em. He sat all this time when he could have already been a star in burnt orange.:homer:

bah007
02-13-2007, 06:18 PM
I'm still kinda bitter about the Perilloux situation. He committed to Texas but changed his mind at the last minute to LSU because he wanted to play right away and thought he would sit behind VY at UT. But now look at 'em. He sat all this time when he could have already been a star in burnt orange.:homer:

Oh well.

Texas already has a star at QB.

And he's a year younger.

htownfoozball
02-13-2007, 06:22 PM
what about booty? does he fit? this class will be loaded on the offensive side of the ball if juniors declare with jackson and manningham at WR, a bunch of RB's, 3 or 4 true left tackles...it should be a much deeper draft than this year.

Dionysus22
02-13-2007, 06:38 PM
Oh well.

Texas already has a star at QB.

And he's a year younger.

That doesn't mean he's better. Case in point...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4y_3t9VuGA

Nawzer
02-13-2007, 06:44 PM
It would take some incredible numbers for me to want Henne on our team.

I have watched all of Michigan's games for the past two years and he is not very impressive at all.

He has a good strong arm and he is accurate on his deep balls.

But he has absolutely zero touch on his passes. He throws a 2 yd slant with the same velocity that he throws a 20 yd out or a deep post.

He also makes too many mistakes under pressure, and he is constantly under pressure because he holds the ball forever.

No thanks.

Michael Hart. Sure.

Chad Henne. Pass.

I didn't say I wanted Henne on our team. I was just saying that if he has a big year he could shoot up the draft boards towards the top. Unless you think the Texans will be in position to draft high next year.

amazingandre
02-13-2007, 06:46 PM
i think we wont need one in 08... CARR WILL LIGHT UP THE 07 SEASON AND WILL BE HERE IN 08........:shades: jmo

Dionysus22
02-13-2007, 06:49 PM
IMHO I think we'll be picking somewhere in the teens next year.

kastofsna
02-14-2007, 09:03 AM
it's between brennan and brohm for me. the others aren't that special. chad henne is on that list because he goes to michigan, nothing more.

Texas_Thrill
02-14-2007, 09:09 AM
i'm not in love with any of them and at most i'd go with brennan but he's have to put up the same numbers he did last year which he probably will.

he still scares me in the david klinger/andre ware mold but maybe can do it.

Meloy
02-14-2007, 10:55 AM
I mentioned on another thread that Kolb this year and Colt McCoy next year would lock in some fans. McCoy will be eligible as 3 years past his high school graduation class. He had a very good year and another this season would offer him a fine chance to be selected in first round.

Silver Oak
02-14-2007, 11:04 AM
I shall officially start the "Please Do Not Select Colt McCoy To Be The Texans QB" club, if this even gets remotely close to becoming a real scenario.

As president of this club I will be the most vocal in pleading with our FO to not get this guy....and I'll also promise to buy the beer at all meetings. :shades:

Ole Miss Texan
02-14-2007, 12:37 PM
....and I'll also promise to buy the beer at all meetings. :shades:

I just became your first member.

I guess jevan snead has a better chance of being a texan now...since he transferred out of texans and all....lol

Meloy
02-14-2007, 12:38 PM
I shall officially start the "Please Do Not Select Colt McCoy To Be The Texans QB" club, if this even gets remotely close to becoming a real scenario.

As president of this club I will be the most vocal in pleading with our FO to not get this guy....and I'll also promise to buy the beer at all meetings. :shades:Your reasoning? He looked pretty good to me for his first year at leading the team.

rmartin65
02-14-2007, 01:27 PM
Rhett Bomar

Maybe. Depends what he wants to do. Seemed very good to me last season, was supposed to be the best OU qb ever.

TexansSeminole
02-14-2007, 01:29 PM
Honestly so far, none of these QB's really impress me.

Next year it will be interesting to see who steps up.

Guys I think will step up next year:
Pay White
Chad Henne
Erik Ainge
John David Booty

real
02-14-2007, 02:32 PM
Next year it will be interesting to see who steps up.

Guys I think will step up next year:
Pay White
Chad Henne
Erik Ainge
John David Booty

If Pat White becomes a good passer(which I doubt) he'd be an interesting pick...Way too early to predict where these guys will go though....

I think Erik Ainge and John David are my two favorites....But that really isn't saying much.

Trap_Star
02-14-2007, 02:33 PM
Weak QB class next year....08 will be the year of the runningback.....

TexanAddict
02-14-2007, 02:51 PM
Weak QB class next year....08 will be the year of the runningback.....

I agree with this. McFadden (Arkansas), Slaton (W. Virginia), Rice (Rutgers), Hart (Michigan), and Johnson (Boise St.) all could enter the draft next year. No telling what might happen between now and then, but all these RBs had productive years and were finalists or semifinalists for NCAA awards last year.

doughboy
02-14-2007, 05:34 PM
Id draft Erik ainge just because he has been coached by Cutcliff.

bah007
02-14-2007, 11:52 PM
Rhett Bomar

Maybe. Depends what he wants to do. Seemed very good to me last season, was supposed to be the best OU qb ever.

He sits next to me in one of my classes at Sam Houston.

As far as I can tell, he is gonna try to get back in a D1A school like A&M since he never got to play here last season anyway.

If he stays at SHSU then I doubt he would even get drafted when he becomes eligible.

As far as being the best QB ever at OU, after watching his some of his games I would have to disagree.

OzzO
03-20-2007, 12:35 PM
I was about to start a thread on this, but a little searchin' and see it's been talked about (I knew y'all wouldn't let me down). So, maybe just to bring up again since last time it was discussed Quinn wasn't well thought of and Plummer was a possiblity..... I think they were discussing on one of the am stations a few days ago, next year's draft seems to have more / better QB's to select from.

Russell is defintely gone by 8, possibly Quinn as well. If the Texans are currently saying they won't trade up does that mean they won't take another QB (if they do) till round 3 possibly? Seems like that from some mocks / posters noting Kolb or Stanton in the 3rd.

So, riddle me this. Assuming the Texans finish around the .500 mark this coming season and have anywhere from the 10th to 18th pick or so, would that range provide us a better "QB of the future" possiblity than one selected in the 3rd this year?

If so, then would you be alright with Carr / Rosen "competing" this preseason and wait to get the QB next season? Or as Trap_Star noted above, should this be the season to after the QB because next season will have the RB's of the future?

texans83
03-20-2007, 12:49 PM
I would rather get Quinn this year. Im hoping Kubes knows what he is doing and I think Quinn will be there. I think they are going to work out some trade with us getting Quinn and them getting Carr bu us moving up a spot or 2 but not loosing any draft pics. I think they are going to address the RB situation next year in the draft bc like they said next year is going to be a really great class for rb.

Ole Miss Texan
03-20-2007, 12:58 PM
I like Brohm a lot.

It's hard to tell what's going to happen for next season...last year I would have said Brady Quinn doesn't make it out of the top 3 overall..now it's looking like he could..but he could very well be gone by 3.

Next year has a few good 'franchise positions...QB, LT, RB...possibly WR.

I think I like Brohm best but he'll be gone (in all likihood before 10-18. I like Brady Quinn next after that..so that'd be this year.

I like McFadden a lot, but have a feeling he'll be gone by maybe 1.

I'm looking for a franchise LT depending on how our line does..if not Steve Slaton or Ray Rice could be good w/ Dayne and Green 1 year closer to the door.

Gamehorn25
03-20-2007, 01:06 PM
Limas Sweed is going to be the best WR of next year's class.

threetoedpete
03-20-2007, 01:23 PM
I'm no draft expert but from everything I have read and seen, Brohm does not fit our system at all. He is an immobile pocket passer without the ability to scrmable or throw on the run. That is the antithesis of what we need under center.

I keep posting that about kevin Kolb for all the good it does.

threetoedpete
03-20-2007, 01:31 PM
Limas Sweed is going to be the best WR of next year's class.

Limas Sweed will be next years Sidney Rice. Wether or not that'll make him the best in the class is open for debate.

Rep A4 for searching and not mudding up the board. Nice job.

Well they go to war with Salaam and Jordan Black as the OLTs in '07, you can pretty much speculate on another top ten finish next season. Then we get to have my favorite annual argument one more time. OLT vs the skill guys. QB this year or next, gotta assume it's coming.

freedoggy77
03-20-2007, 01:54 PM
IMHO I think we'll be picking somewhere in the teens next year.

i was thinking more along the lines of picking 32nd....:sarcasm:

Please_Evolve
03-20-2007, 02:30 PM
Next year's class doesn't excite me at all. IMO between this year's class and next year's, Quinn is the most surefire pick.

I think losing Bush and Petrino might really hurt Brohm next year.

Brennan might have the physical tools but run and shoot QB's get me on edge.

Ainge has folded under pressure, and not sure if he'll hold the rotation down next year.

I don't know why but John David Booty doesn't really jump out at me.

My only other thought is if there's another under the radar type guy that might pop up.

Ole Miss Texan
03-20-2007, 02:36 PM
Well if that's true about Brohm...then no he'd be a bad fit for our team..lol