PDA

View Full Version : Evaluating Last Year's Free Agents

Texans_Chick
02-11-2007, 07:43 PM
This is an interesting article that attempts to evaluate the impact of various free agents:

Link (http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2007/02/11/accounting_department/?page=1)

It is worth a read.

As it relates to the Texans, Moulds gets a non-mention and Weaver is mentioned as disappointing.

To me, the biggest impact those players had were as mentors. Weaver and Williams were just about inseparable and so was Johnson and Moulds.
Not exactly what you want for that money, but it is something both of those players needed.

Tulip
02-11-2007, 07:50 PM
Odd that Moulds was not mentioned. But he didn't really fit in with their assertion, I suppose.

Also mentioned were former Texans McCree and Gaffney.

the wonger need food
02-11-2007, 07:56 PM
Weaver was very disappointing. He signed for DE money and played like a backup DT.

Walter and Putizier were non-factors.

Flanagan was very disappointing.

Moulds was probably our most productive FA... which isn't saying much. Let's hope that Rick Smith earns his money this offseason.

run-david-run
02-11-2007, 08:20 PM
Odd that Moulds was not mentioned. But he didn't really fit in with their assertion, I suppose.

Also mentioned were former Texans McCree and Gaffney.

Moulds was a trade with Buffalo, not a FA signing.

Texans_Chick
02-11-2007, 08:27 PM
Moulds was a trade with Buffalo, not a FA signing.

True that. Good point.

I do not think that Weaver played like a backup. Given what was happening with the DT position, he was solid but not spectacular. He played every game except the last one.

Wharton
02-11-2007, 08:45 PM
What I was disappointed in was not seeing Rick Smith as one of the up and coming personnel people in the league. I agree that Weaver was a disappointment, at least in bang for the buck analysis. And, Moulds really wasn't given a chance considering our offensive woes.

The problem with free agency and the Texans is that we suck. If a player is truly considering the Texans as a place to play; they aren’t looking for a winner. So where does that leave us with? Well in this case it left us with an older player looking for a little more time in the sun and a mediocre player looking for a payday.

If the Texans are going to get better, they will have to build through the draft and fill in small holes through free agency. The free agents that come in here are going to have to be players like Maddox. A guy who has shown alot of potential but for what ever reason didn't make it with other teams. Otherwise, we are going to pay way too much for overpriced talent.

ArlingtonTexan
02-11-2007, 08:55 PM
Weaver falls into the same category that Greenwood has found himself. Average to OK player, but is making more money than his production warrants. Actually, I Weaver has more value because he can play all along the line, but is not going to play to 12 million signing bonus. Also, normally not a good thing if the best thing you say about a player is that he is a "coach on the field" or "veteran leadership." Intangibles are nice, but at the end of the day, the Texans don't have enough tangible production.

mexican_texan
02-11-2007, 08:58 PM
For what we gave up for him, Kevin Walter did very well. A throw to him pretty much guaranteed a first down.

bluestars87
02-11-2007, 09:25 PM
I still believe Eric Moulds and Andre Johnson can be pretty dangerous if Houston gets the quarterback situation fixed.

V Man
02-11-2007, 10:25 PM
For what we gave up for him, Kevin Walter did very well. A throw to him pretty much guaranteed a first down.

That says it right there, when it was thrown to him, it was a first down. It wasn't that he under performed, we just weren't able to get the ball to him enough (of course the same could be said for Moulds).

Mr. White
02-12-2007, 12:12 AM
I still believe Eric Moulds and Andre Johnson can be pretty dangerous if Houston gets the quarterback situation fixed.

Moulds maybe has lost a step....BUT....I think another poster (Earl???) said it best when he said that he'd catch a lot more balls if he was wearing a number 80 jersey.

Bearfan Blue and Orange
02-13-2007, 04:17 PM
Weaver was very disappointing. He signed for DE money and played like a backup DT.

Walter and Putizier were non-factors.

Flanagan was very disappointing.

Moulds was probably our most productive FA... which isn't saying much. Let's hope that Rick Smith earns his money this offseason.

NON FACTORS???
If it were not for the contribution of Kevin Walter, you would have had many more 3 and outs!!! as just about everytime he caught the ball he moved the chains... CLUTCH!!!

nunusguy
02-13-2007, 04:58 PM
I think the importance of the "mentoring" factor is totally overrated.
The primary mentors for a team are its coachs, and particular the position
coachs who are the ones the players have the most direct contact with among all the coachs. This mentoring thing seems to have become an important little buzz word around here lately for whatever reason ?
But the performance of the FAs acquired last year is in general disappointing.
And frankly, that might be understating it. I'm hopeful that Rick Smith can
do something about that this offseason.

Texans_Chick
02-13-2007, 05:15 PM
I think the importance of the "mentoring" factor is totally overrated.
The primary mentors for a team are its coachs, and particular the position
coachs who are the ones the players have the most direct contact with among all the coachs. This mentoring thing seems to have become an important little buzz word around here lately for whatever reason ?
But the performance of the FAs acquired last year is in general disappointing.
And frankly, that might be understating it. I'm hopeful that Rick Smith can
do something about that this offseason.

For me, I think mentors are really important in sports. They teach subtle things that the real coaches don't have time for. They can also show how things are done. When players have concerns that they don't want to bother a coach about, they can visit with another player.

A bunch of young players, even if there are leaders among them, are the blind trying to lead the blind.

JMO.

real
02-13-2007, 05:22 PM
For me, I think mentors are really important in sports. They teach subtle things that the real coaches don't have time for. They can also show how things are done. When players have concerns that they don't want to bother a coach about, they can visit with another player.

A bunch of young players, even if there are leaders among them, are the blind trying to lead the blind.

JMO.

Texans Chick.....I hope you don't take offense to this....but you know an awful lot about football for a woman.....

But you are spot on with this one....As a young player joining a new team, I can tell you from first hand experience, that having older players to mentor you is priceless...An older player giving you advice is not nearly the same thing as your coach talking to you....not even close....

Double Barrel
02-13-2007, 05:32 PM
If the Texans are going to get better, they will have to build through the draft and fill in small holes through free agency. The free agents that come in here are going to have to be players like Maddox. A guy who has shown alot of potential but for what ever reason didn't make it with other teams. Otherwise, we are going to pay way too much for overpriced talent.

I agree about the importance of drafting quality players. The Colts have something like 22 of 24 starting players (incl. kicker & punter) from their drafts. That's just an amazing FO to me.

That being said, the jokers previously running the show set us back with the goofy decisions that are now affecting our team. A solid FO is just as important as the players that take the field.

JMO.

yep. Aside from the obvious bad decisions, I think one of the biggest was cutting all our veterans who might have lost a step but would have imparted much crucial knowledge to the younger dudes (our future). McNair pretty much admitted that a month or so ago, too.

Chalk it up to newbie owner mistake...and just hope it doesn't happen again...

nunusguy
02-13-2007, 06:00 PM
JMO.
I think there are mentors, who are teachers, and there are peers, who are equals.
To me a coach is a mentor, though certainly not a peer to a player.
While the more senior players could be both mentors and peers to their
younger teammates, they are primarily peers. And I'm speaking of
professional relationships, not personal relationships.
And I don't think team leaders are the same as mentors.

NEROtheZERO
02-13-2007, 06:19 PM
I think there are mentors, who are teachers, and there are peers, who are equals.
To me a coach is a mentor, though certainly not a peer to a player.
While the more senior players could be both mentors and peers to their
younger teammates, they are primarily peers. And I'm speaking of
professional relationships, not personal relationships.
And I don't think team leaders are the same as mentors.

Tell Andre Johnson that Eric Moulds was just a peer and that his experience in the league benefited Andre's Pro Bowl bid in no way.

I mean, it's not like Andre took him to Hawaii for it or anything.

nunusguy
02-13-2007, 06:50 PM
Tell Andre Johnson that Eric Moulds was just a peer and that his experience in the league benefited Andre's Pro Bowl bid in no way.

Instead, how about I just tell you that AJ has already been to the Pro Bowl
once which was 2 years ago before he probably ever met Eric Moulds.
In other words, AJ didn't did no stinkin EM to get to Honolulu.

CharloTex
02-13-2007, 07:44 PM
A mentor is your advocate, a coach is your boss. Therein lies the primary difference. Liken the coach to your teacher, and the mentor to your advisor. They both dispense gainful teachings and advice, but from different proximities and angles.

NEROtheZERO
02-13-2007, 08:19 PM
Instead, how about I just tell you that AJ has already been to the Pro Bowl
once which was 2 years ago before he probably ever met Eric Moulds.
In other words, AJ didn't did no stinkin EM to get to Honolulu.

The fact that AJ has previously been to the Pro Bowl does not contradict the fact that this was his best season and that it was due to Eric Moulds.

I don't know if you missed it this season or what but there were numerous reports of the relationship AJ and Moulds developed and how much that has helped AJ. AJ played playstation before the games this season with EM, Moulds tutored AJ on the nuances of the games, etc. They developed a relationship which was beneficial to AJ. I don't know if you had the luxury to be at the game where AJ thanked the fans for the Pro Bowl bid through Eric Moulds (EM presented himself as AJ's "mouthpiece" IIRC), but you didn't need to see that to know that AJ took Moulds to Hawaii because he fel EM was instrumental in AJ having his best season of his career.

You can think what you want but the players that play the game tell a different story.

Texans_Chick
02-13-2007, 08:50 PM
On the sidelines, it was funny watching AJ hang out with Moulds and Williams hang out with Weaver.

They were like shadows to each other.

Texans_Chick
02-13-2007, 09:06 PM
Texans Chick.....I hope you don't take offense to this....but you know an awful lot about football for a woman.....

But you are spot on with this one....As a young player joining a new team, I can tell you from first hand experience, that having older players to mentor you is priceless...An older player giving you advice is not nearly the same thing as your coach talking to you....not even close....

Football is, by far, my favorite sport to watch and my favorite sport to play. I've played just about every major sport except NASCAR, but I just like the strategery and teamwork and the game within the game of football the best.

Flag football ain't real football, but the lessons of all sorts of sports carry over, and young teams without good veterans are usually doubleplus non-good. There's subtle smarts about things that vets bring to the table. A coach can't be everything to everybody. It makes me think of that recent Biggio article where he was talking about being a really quiet guy in the locker room and just listening to veterans talk about stuff he had no idea about.

Massive digression....

One of the favorite times in my life was when I played in a flag football league that always was short a few females. So I would show up at the first game as a fill in, then play four games in a row, including one with my team.

Then I would go home, order a pizza, shower all the dirt off, get in comfy clothes and eat a pizza and watch NFL all day. Then I could barely walk the next day, but usually it was the good soreness.

One of my favorite things was beating teams that had more individual talent than my team had, but that we beat them anyway because we played better together as a team.

Ahhh, the days. I miss playing team sports. (Did get to go to the golf course today though. :) )

nunusguy
02-13-2007, 09:10 PM
The fact that AJ has previously been to the Pro Bowl does not contradict the fact that this was his best season and that it was due to Eric Moulds.

I'm of the opinion that 2004 was AJs best season, even though stat wise he
may have been improved in some areas this year, like total receptions.
AJ made more big plays that were more indicative of what we'd expect from a
playermaker with his level of talent.
Moulds was a friend, a companion for AJ and I suspect AJ felt obligated to repay the cammaraderie and friendship that he got from the "older brother" figure. And AJs a generous guy.
BTW, IIRC AJ bought airfair for both fellow WRs Cory Bradford and Jabar Gaffney to his first PB in 2004-05.