PDA

View Full Version : Cowboys New Head Coach Is.....

Toro
02-08-2007, 03:00 AM
Wade Phillips, according to ESPN.

Tom Landry, Jimmy Johnson, Bill Parcells ... Cowboys fans have been waiting for the next big name to lead a storied franchise. They might be surprised by the answer.

League and Cowboys sources have told ESPN's Chris Mortensen that Chargers defensive coordinator Wade Phillips will be named Dallas' head coach. Phillips traveled from San Diego to Dallas on Wednesday night after being told that he was their choice to replace the now-retired Parcells.

While contract details must still be worked out and a contract signed, a formal team announcement for Phillips could come as early as Thursday.

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones had reportedly been torn between hiring a defensive- or offensive-minded coach. Choosing Phillips answers that question and addresses issues with Chicago Bears defensive coordinator Ron Rivera. The Cowboys have been running a 3-4 defense while Rivera is the architect of Chicago's successful 4-3 scheme. Phillips has had great success with the 3-4 defense throughout his career and helped the Chargers to a 14-2 regular-season record in 2006.

San Francisco 49ers offensive coordinator Norv Turner was widely regarded as the front-runner for the Cowboys job. The hiring of former Cowboys quarterback Jason Garrett might have doomed his candidacy. Garrett's role has not been formally defined, but he will likely be named Dallas' offensive coordinator. Turner is considered one of the premier play-callers in the league, and Jones might not have wanted to impede Garrett, who reportedly impressed the Cowboys owner in their interview.

Phillips spent much of Tuesday contacting coaches he wants to hire as assistants if he gets the Dallas job, sources told ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli.

"It would be an overstatement to say he's putting together a staff," one source said. "But he was just touching base with his guys, updating them as to where he thinks things stand, and trying to hold [potential staffers] together. He is still in the hunt."

On Wednesday, Indianapolis Colts assistant head coach Jim Caldwell became the 10th candidate to interview for a vacancy created when Parcells opted to retire on Jan. 21. Phillips interviewed for the job on Jan. 26.

Caldwell met with Jones and his son Stephen for more than six hours Wednesday and said he expected a decision to be made in "short order."

"I had a great time," Caldwell said of his interview for the Cowboys' head coaching vacancy. "I learned a lot about the organization."

In head coaching stints with Denver (1993-94) and Buffalo (1998-2000), Phillips compiled a 45-38 record, including the playoffs, and led his teams to three wild-card berths. He also served stints as interim head coach at New Orleans in 1985 and Atlanta in 2003.

Len Pasquarelli covers the NFL for ESPN.com.

TwinSisters
02-08-2007, 03:08 AM
damn.

Just got the word myself.

funny how fatboy and the ESPN crew got the news first.

EDIT:
No wait... looks like Mortenson got the nugget first, but still ESPN.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2758164

GuerillaBlack
02-08-2007, 06:29 AM
Just heard it on Mike and Mike, too.

Huge
02-08-2007, 07:49 AM
Posted two weeks ago...

I don't see them bringing in an offensive coach because they'd like to retain as much of the current offensive staff as they can. I also don't see them bringing in a defensive coach that won't use the 3-4.

I think it'll be Wade Phillips. That doesn't mean it'll be the right decision though. Some coaches just make better coordinators than head coaches (like Phillips and Norv Turner).

I guess I'm indifferent.

I don't see Phillips being the answer. However, if he's not the answer, that just means Garrett will take over that miuch sooner. IMO, that's a good thing.

HoustonFrog
02-08-2007, 08:12 AM
You may be right but I'm highly disappointed. I wasn't a fan of any retread but Turner with Rivera and Garrett would have been my choice if Jerry was going that way. I think that would have caused problems with 2 young studs as coordinators though. With the new stadium, etc I think this is a weak call. I think Singletary could have done the job too. He will never come out and say it but there were rumors that Turner didn't want Owens and I think JJ is enamored with him.

If it shows me one thing it shows me JJ may be willing to see what happens and if this doesn't work he can try and make a splash with Cowher or someone else.

old football fan
02-08-2007, 09:29 AM
Who really cares, it's the COWBOYS!!!

dirty steve
02-08-2007, 09:37 AM
not all that surprised. joan picked a guy he could push around with phillips. i hope dallas fans know how good they had it with parcells. joan should just name himself head coach as well as general manager.

kastofsna
02-08-2007, 09:44 AM
solid hire.

Blu
02-08-2007, 10:01 AM
I know Bum.... and Wade is no Bum.

:doot:

Nice Hire Gals..

Huge
02-08-2007, 10:10 AM
i hope dallas fans know how good they had it with parcells.
This one doesn't.

34-32 record over 4 years
0-2 in the playoffs
2-3 record over the last 5 weeks each of the past two seasons.

Certainly we could've done worse. But we also could've done much better. Only time will tell (and it'll take a good bit of time) before it's determined how 'fortunate' we were to have had Parcells.

Texas_Thrill
02-08-2007, 10:12 AM
how many HC jobs is this guy going to get before they get it.....oh wait he's the next bill belli.

StarStruck
02-08-2007, 10:14 AM
I'm cool with the hire. I think that a lot was learned during the Campo era, and the future of the team should be bright. A kid of Bum's can't be too bad.

Huge
02-08-2007, 10:17 AM
how many HC jobs is this guy going to get before they get it.....oh wait he's the next bill belli.

I think he's going to be okay but he's not the one that takes this team to the next level.

Problem is, "okay" is not the standard in Dallas and that is what he'll be measured by. He's in a no-win situation. If he does well, it'll be because of the team Parcells put together. If not, out the door ya go.

HoustonFrog
02-08-2007, 11:02 AM
Here are the positives

1) The team still has talent in place

2) Though not an exciting hire(I am not thrilled), the guy did go to the playoffs 3 times with the Bills

3) He is a master of the 3-4 and the Cowboys do have aforementioned talent in place. People kept wanting someone to mentor Romo and to fix the offense yet the defense folded like a cheap law chair at the end of the season. Draft a safety, put Roy where he bleongs and coach them right and they could have a stud D.

4) This solidifies Garrett at O-coordinator. Why do I think he will do well...I'll answer how I did on another board...The guy is a Princeton grad. He was a back up QB for I believe 12 years. In most of these stints he rarely played but helped with calling signals, scout team, etc and was pretty much a second coach. After he stopped playing he became a QB coach. To me he reminds me very much of a Sean Peyton. He came highly recommnded by most players and coaches that had worked with him....Jimmy, Aikman, etc. I bacially think that he has been grooming himself since 1993 for a coaching gig and has been behind the scenes enough to absorb alot of what he has seen. I think if you add his smarts, experience in the game, his player/coach stints as of late and coming from a coaching family and it will add up to a successful coaching career.

So all in all things could go well but there is always the looming specter of JJ sitting there wanting to keep Owens and to meddle with the draft.

WWJD
02-08-2007, 12:00 PM
I don't have a problem with Wade. Funny how so many were so sure it'd be Norv.

dirty steve
02-08-2007, 12:53 PM
This one doesn't.

34-32 record over 4 years
0-2 in the playoffs
2-3 record over the last 5 weeks each of the past two seasons.

Certainly we could've done worse. But we also could've done much better. Only time will tell (and it'll take a good bit of time) before it's determined how 'fortunate' we were to have had Parcells.
but i think parcells was one guy who joan couldnt push around. now joan has a yes man in phillips and still controls the personnel decisions most likely. phillips wont even have a say on his full staff since jones already picked his O-coordinator for him in garrett.

Charter PSL Fan
02-08-2007, 02:09 PM
I always liked Wade but now if he is a cowgirl I dislike him as I do that whole orginazation. Carl Mauck is PO'd

TexanSam
02-08-2007, 03:19 PM
Bum Phillips rooting for the Cowboys now. That's probably a hard pill to swallow for those of you that followed the Oilers.

cj5776
02-08-2007, 04:41 PM
I'm cool with the hire. I think that a lot was learned during the Campo era, and the future of the team should be bright. A kid of Bum's can't be too bad.

What exactly was learned? I just do not feel he is that big of an upgrade over Campo. HE HAS MAN BOOBS!!! Seriously, now that I live in big D this makes me more sad than I was expecting. To me this is just a return to the 5-11 years. I could see Turner pulling out due to Jones reminding him of the other 2 owners he has worked with, Al Davis and Daniel Synder. Even though Parcells did not get the job done on the field, his work in shaping the roster should be a sign that Jones needs an equal in personel decisions.

bah007
02-08-2007, 04:44 PM
My biggest worry is that Parcells was the guy doing the drafting while he was here.

His players make up a large portion of the impact players.

Jerry Jones has gotten lucky in the draft a few times, but after the first 2 rounds the guy has no clue.

I just dont think that the Cowboys will be able to draft like Bill did, whether Phillips has a say in the decision or not.

cj5776
02-08-2007, 04:52 PM
My biggest worry is that Parcells was the guy doing the drafting while he was here.

Jerry Jones has gotten lucky in the draft a few times, but after the first 2 rounds the guy has no clue.

I just dont think that the Cowboys will be able to draft like Bill did, whether Phillips has a say in the decision or not.

unless he gets smarts and gets someone other than Phillips to draft with him

cj5776
02-08-2007, 04:56 PM
hopefully he is not doing all of the drafting by himself

Please_Evolve
02-08-2007, 06:48 PM
Defensively a good hire i think. I think that's all jones brought him in for. Garrett on the offense and Phillips to really further mold the 3-4. Biggest question for me will be the draftwar room. Think it's a solid hire though.

Capster67
02-08-2007, 06:50 PM
I don't think it's a good hire at all (only maybe slightly better than Norv Turner). Phillips is 0-3 in the playoffs and when he was here in Denver (mediocre at best with a great franchise around him). In the matter of a few minutes the Texans became the best team in Texas!!!!

Showtime100
02-08-2007, 08:51 PM
Bum Phillips rooting for the Cowboys now. That's probably a hard pill to swallow for those of you that followed the Oilers.

If Bum took a job with the Cowboys it would be a tough one to swallow. This is no big deal, he's rooting for his son.

I just feel sorry for Wade for taking that circus of a job.

edo783
02-08-2007, 11:11 PM
Any sort of luck and this will turn into a huge toilet flush. Couldn't happen to a better org.

mexican_texan
02-08-2007, 11:17 PM
Jerry Jones is still the coach.

SamuraiSword
02-09-2007, 12:02 AM
You may be right but I'm highly disappointed. I wasn't a fan of any retread but Turner with Rivera and Garrett would have been my choice if Jerry was going that way. I think that would have caused problems with 2 young studs as coordinators though. With the new stadium, etc I think this is a weak call. I think Singletary could have done the job too. He will never come out and say it but there were rumors that Turner didn't want Owens and I think JJ is enamored with him.

If it shows me one thing it shows me JJ may be willing to see what happens and if this doesn't work he can try and make a splash with Cowher or someone else.

I think Phillips is going to be a temporary HC for the Cowboys. When the new stadium opens up that is when Garrett will be the new head coach. New stadium = New head coach.......hmmmmm.......

Toro
02-09-2007, 02:29 AM
Gotta feel for Phillips.. It's all but set in stone that this is more or less a "keep the seat warm" job that could go to Garrett at any time. Reportedly, the reason they DIDN'T hire Turner was because he showed reluctance (which, most coaches with a shred of self respect would have done the same) to the fact that their main goal is to groom Garrett to replace him.

I'm interested in seeing how all elements of this play out.

Huge
02-09-2007, 09:16 AM
but i think parcells was one guy who joan couldnt push around. now joan has a yes man in phillips and still controls the personnel decisions most likely. phillips wont even have a say on his full staff since jones already picked his O-coordinator for him in garrett.

I don't think Parcells had much to do with bringing in Terrell Owens.

What exactly was learned? I just do not feel he is that big of an upgrade over Campo. HE HAS MAN BOOBS!!! Seriously, now that I live in big D this makes me more sad than I was expecting. To me this is just a return to the 5-11 years. I could see Turner pulling out due to Jones reminding him of the other 2 owners he has worked with, Al Davis and Daniel Synder. Even though Parcells did not get the job done on the field, his work in shaping the roster should be a sign that Jones needs an equal in personel decisions.
Dave Campo - 15-33 as a head coach
Wade Phillips - 48-42 as a head coach

Yeah, they're pretty similar.

Our drafting problems were solved when Larry Lacewell retired.

I think Phillips is going to be a temporary HC for the Cowboys. When the new stadium opens up that is when Garrett will be the new head coach. New stadium = New head coach.......hmmmmm.......
Yep.

'Course, every coach is a "temporary" coach.

I think we'll be okay for the time being. With Garrett and Sparano running the offense and Phillips implementing his touch on defense, we should be fine.

StarStruck
02-09-2007, 04:20 PM
There is a certain individual whose posts contain so many facts and logic that I find myself laughing a lot.

SF49erFaithful
02-10-2007, 01:07 AM
I'm really happy Norv didn't job, because I didn't want him leaving the 49ers.

Here is something I thought was pretty interesting.......

Sources close to Turner said Thursday that the 49ers' offensive coordinator likes how things are going with the 49ers so much that he presented Cowboys owner Jerry Jones with a structure of operations similar to what Mike Nolan has with the 49ers.

Turner issued a statement through the 49ers' public-relations department:

"I have a great situation with the 49ers and I'm excited about continuing the progress we made on offense from last season. John York and Mike Nolan were instrumental in lending their support to me through the interview process in Dallas. That reassures to me how well our structure and leadership is here in San Francisco."

Nolan is the central figure in the 49ers' organization, as he owns final say on all matters pertaining to player personnel and the coaching staff. Turner wanted far more control than he had in his previous two head-coaching jobs with the Redskins and Raiders.

Norv went in and told Jerry how he wanted it to be," a source close to Turner said. "Wade probably went in and was told how it was going to be."

In addition to personnel, Turner also reportedly balked at Jones' suggestion that offensive coordinator Jason Garrett have autonomy in calling plays.

http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/default.asp?item=481369

Also, the 49ers gave Turner an extension and pay raise.

bluestars87
02-10-2007, 03:16 AM
I'm really happy Norv didn't job, because I didn't want him leaving the 49ers.

Here is something I thought was pretty interesting.......

http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/default.asp?item=481369

Also, the 49ers gave Turner an extension and pay raise.

I'm glad Norv didn't leave San Francisco. I just hope people don't go for his head next offseason. I think it's a miracle we still have him.

HowBoutThemCowboys!
02-10-2007, 10:33 AM
This was an outstanding hire.. In Phillips you have a Texan, Jimmy Johnson like personality who's been in the league for 30 years and was one of the pioneers to implement the 3-4 in the NFL.

His head coach expierence is solid and I like the fact that every team he's taken over goes to the playoffs after the first season.. Not like that's a problem in Dallas.

Wade Phillips is family now.

http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/2586/phillipssigcopyjs9.jpg