PDA

View Full Version : Where do you rank us in the AFC??

thunderkyss
02-07-2007, 09:45 AM
Are we division leaders?? Indy, NE, SanDiego, Baltimore??

Are we Contenders?? Cincinnati, Denver,

Are we Up & Commers?? NYJets, Tennessee, KC Chiefs

Are we Mediocre?? Pittsburgh, Jacksonville, Buffalo

Are we just a poor team?? Miami, Oakland, Houston??

HoustonFrog
02-07-2007, 09:50 AM
Up and Commers. You have to get out of the lower ranks first and the best way to do that is to make strides where people can actually say, "in a year or two this team is going to make hay in the playoffs." I think with the right moves they can start heading in that direction this next year.

old football fan
02-07-2007, 09:54 AM
Up and Commers. You have to get out of the lower ranks first and the best way to do that is to make strides where people can actually say, "in a year or two this team is going to make hay in the playoffs." I think with the right moves they can start heading in that direction this next year.

I totally agree with what you have said and have confidence in the FO and HC to get us there.

Tailgate
02-07-2007, 09:58 AM
We had a 4 game improvement this year. As a whole... the Texans had one of the BEST drafts in the NFL last year in Kubiaks first offseason. There is no more Casserly. Our new GM Rick Smith did an outstanding job this regular season finding talent off the street and filling the holes our NEVERENDING injuries created. I am very excited to see what these two can do with a full offseason of working together.

We scored the DROY and SHOULD BE pro bowler Demeco Ryans. Throw in a healthy Mario Williams (who I predict will have a coming out party next year) and thats two monster players on D in one draft. Lets see how our holes can be filled this offseason... because our D is definitely looking like it has some great potential.

I was speaking to some Denver fans about Kubiak and his scheme. They believe he is the right man for the job and to be patient.... because it takes a minimum of 3 years to get all the pieces in place before you can really execute on the level they were in Denver all those years. Its now year 2.

Yes, the Texans are on the up. Who knows, maybe we wont even be devastated with injuries this coming year.

The Pencil Neck
02-07-2007, 10:05 AM
I voted for Mediocre because I think we've improved from Poor. I didn't go with Up & Comer, even though that's where my homer's heart wanted me to put us, because I don't think we're at the point where people are really thinking we're going to have a real shot at contending for a playoff spot with an opportunity to go deep in the playoffs.

We need to win some games and start making some statements before we can be considered an Up & Comer.

Mr teX
02-07-2007, 10:33 AM
If you put anything other than poor team, you're delusional.

thunderkyss
02-07-2007, 10:34 AM
I voted for Mediocre because I think we've improved from Poor. I didn't go with Up & Comer, even though that's where my homer's heart wanted me to put us, because I don't think we're at the point where people are really thinking we're going to have a real shot at contending for a playoff spot with an opportunity to go deep in the playoffs.

We need to win some games and start making some statements before we can be considered an Up & Comer.

I guess I should have put definitions in there for each category.

Houston Frog & Old football fan(Thanks for participating.) said they look at the Texans as "Up & Comers" But his description was more like a Mediocre team to me.

Division Leaders..... shouldn't need a definition. They are the guys who have been leading the division, or will.... you decide. But they will be in the play-offs.

Contenders. If everything fell their way, they could have been division leaders. They are also play-off bound. This year, I put Cincy & Denver in my Contenders list, neither team made the play-offs, but most people were surprised, and look at it as a disappointment.

Up & Comers: They surprised a lot of people, by making a play-off run, or making the play-offs. We expect them to play good football in the up & coming season.

Mediocre: Teams that were overrated. Teams that overachieved. Teams we didn't expect to be in the play-offs last season, and teams we don't expect to be in the play-off race next season.

Poor teams: Teams that need a lot of work.

real
02-07-2007, 10:53 AM
We are a poor team. I don't think we can call ourselves up and coming until we're....well....up and coming.

The Jets are an up and coming team....We are not on the Jets level just yet.

I would classify the Titans as up and coming....They managed to stay in the play-off hunt to the end....We....Didn't.

Of course this could all change once the season starts. Some of the teams you would label as division leaders, or top tier teams, could start the season off terrible and all of a sudden become a poor team....See: Pittsburg.

But as of right now we are a 6-10 team, and IMO, that has poor written all over it.

thunderkyss
02-07-2007, 11:02 AM
We are a poor team. I don't think we can call ourselves up and coming until we're....well....up and coming.

The Jets are an up and coming team....We are not on the Jets level just yet.

I would classify the Titans as up and coming....They managed to stay in the play-off hunt to the end....We....Didn't.

Of course this could all change once the season starts. Some of the teams you would label as division leaders, or top tier teams, could start the season off terrible and all of a sudden become a poor team....See: Pittsburg.

But as of right now we are a 6-10 team, and IMO, that has poor written all over it.

IMHO, I think we are better than the Jets, Titans, Buffalo, KC, etc.. I think we should have been in the play-off hunt last year, & I'm dissappointed that we didn't even enter the race.

Looking at the Jets, & the Titans last year, no one thought they would be in the race, but they overachieved a bit... But what made that team successful, will be something they can build on going into next season, so I see them with possible play-off spots next year.

Pittsburgh overachieved the year before last, and should've been Contenders last year....... but their X-Factor(which you can't ever count on) should have sat out a few more games, I think). I think they'll have even more problems next year, so even if Big Ben regains some of his aura.... it might not be enough to get them in the hunt with that division.

DocBar
02-07-2007, 11:27 AM
Homer heart says mediocre team.
The facts say poor team.
We have to string together some dominate wins in order to reach mediocre. We COULD be mediocre-to-up and comer by this time next season with another strong draft and GOOD FA aquisitions. Lat years draft was, by far, our best. I think our new FO will continue that and do a much better job of building this team from within.

DocBar
02-07-2007, 11:31 AM
IMHO, I think we are better than the Jets, Titans, Buffalo, KC, etc.. I think we should have been in the play-off hunt last year, & I'm dissappointed that we didn't even enter the race.

Looking at the Jets, & the Titans last year, no one thought they would be in the race, but they overachieved a bit... But what made that team successful, will be something they can build on going into next season, so I see them with possible play-off spots next year.

Pittsburgh overachieved the year before last, and should've been Contenders last year....... but their X-Factor(which you can't ever count on) should have sat out a few more games, I think). I think they'll have even more problems next year, so even if Big Ben regains some of his aura.... it might not be enough to get them in the hunt with that division.

We lost to 3 of those 4 teams last year. Coulda, woulda, shoulda won but lost anyway is a hallmark of a poor team. We were in position to win those games and failed. To me, that means we are NOT better than them. The Texans haven't been "upset" since the Browns beat us at the end of '04. There isn't a team in the league we can consider a walk in the park.

real
02-07-2007, 11:39 AM
IMHO, I think we are better than the Jets, Titans, Buffalo, KC,

I'll put it like this....

When almost every game you play you have the chance to upset someone you are a poor team...

If we were to beat any one of those teams,except MAYBE Buffalo, on opening day next year it'd be considered an upset. And what so bad about it is that those teams you listed aren't all that themselves....BUT....they are indeed better than us as of right now....

I'm not saying it will be like that next season, because we can make vast improvements between now and then. But if all I have to judge off of is what actually happened, and not what I think will happen, then I have to stick by my guns and say that we are a bad team...

dbspi
02-07-2007, 11:42 AM
They are poor team as of right now. They need to show more show more consistency and win few more games before we can say they are up and coming team.

DocBar
02-07-2007, 11:48 AM
They are poor team as of right now. They need to show more show more consistency and win few more games before we can say they are up and coming team.
Consistency is something I've seen enough of from the Texans. I want them to make a big change and have a blockbuster offseason, a winning regular season and challenge for a playoff berth.

texans83
02-07-2007, 11:54 AM
Consistency is something I've seen enough of from the Texans. I want them to make a big change and have a blockbuster offseason, a winning regular season and challenge for a playoff berth.

I think everyone whants that

Mr teX
02-07-2007, 12:00 PM

Exactly, up & coming in my mind is barely missing the playoffs, or making it into the playoffs & getting smashed. mediocore is 8-8 which we didn't achieve last year.

the fact of the matter is were still losing to teams that we should beat too regularly. (see games against Buffalo, tennessee games 2005/2006 washington, giants etc.) I can understand a let down here & there but too many times laast year we were in position to close the deal & something stupid happens to cost us the game.

Texas
02-07-2007, 12:04 PM
Since we have improved slowly and it looks like our FO is taking steps to improve us even further I beleive were up and comers..It may take a decade but we will get to the big game eventually

thunderkyss
02-07-2007, 12:13 PM
We lost to 3 of those 4 teams last year. Coulda, woulda, shoulda won but lost anyway is a hallmark of a poor team. We were in position to win those games and failed. To me, that means we are NOT better than them. The Texans haven't been "upset" since the Browns beat us at the end of '04. There isn't a team in the league we can consider a walk in the park.

& we beat the Colts in December...... does that mean we were better than the Colts in the second half of the year?? that we could've made it to the SuperBowl & beaten the Bears if we had started the season better??

I don't think so. The better team doesn't always win.

If you look at the New York Game, the Buffalo game, the Giants game, Both Titans games, and say we should have won those games, or if you are disappointed that we lost those games, I don't see how you can think we aren't the better team.

Even the Cowboys, I know we're better than the Cowboys.

If you look at those games & say we were lucky to be in them.... or that they went the way you expected them to... then I can see you thinking they are better....... I just don't understand how you could think that way.

DocBar
02-07-2007, 12:54 PM
& we beat the Colts in December...... does that mean we were better than the Colts in the second half of the year?? that we could've made it to the SuperBowl & beaten the Bears if we had started the season better??

I don't think so. The better team doesn't always win.

If you look at the New York Game, the Buffalo game, the Giants game, Both Titans games, and say we should have won those games, or if you are disappointed that we lost those games, I don't see how you can think we aren't the better team.

Even the Cowboys, I know we're better than the Cowboys.

If you look at those games & say we were lucky to be in them.... or that they went the way you expected them to... then I can see you thinking they are better....... I just don't understand how you could think that way.

We beat the Colts...the sun shines on a dog's a** every now and then.
No way are we more talented than the Cowpukes. I hate to say it, but we aren't. I'm disappointed by every Texans loss. But especially by the ones we have a shot at winning and end up losing. My biggest point is that we simply do NOT have an even mediocre team. A mediocre team would've beaten Buffalo, Giants and split with the Titans. We didn't even belong on the same field with the Eagles, Colts(1st game) or Patriots. The Redskins and Cowboy debacles speak for themselves...Heck, the Browns game wasn't exactly a blowout victory.

HoustonFrog
02-07-2007, 12:57 PM

By the way, I based this analysis on how we would play THIS year and how people would look at us as this season progresses into future years. I was not trying to be a homer as to where we ended the year.

OzzO
02-07-2007, 12:58 PM
At this exact point of time, the thin fence of mediocre. If we have a quality offseason similar to what the Texans did last year, then we could fall into up and coming. If we stay put, players don't learn from last year's errors, or we have a "C&C" offseason - we'll tumble easily into the poor pool.

TwinSisters
02-07-2007, 01:02 PM
What in the hell is going on here?

Is the poll for ranking in the NFC or the AFC?

If it is the AFC, I want my vote back. The poll said NFC.

TexansTrueFan
02-07-2007, 01:07 PM
If you put anything other than poor team, you're delusional.

Actually its offseason, and NOONE has seen how this team will perform next year, so its not delusional. Everyone knows how fast teams can turn things around. So itd be more delusional for you to think poor team, other than any of the other options.

Mr teX
02-07-2007, 01:24 PM
Actually its offseason, and NOONE has seen how this team will perform next year, so its not delusional. Everyone knows how fast teams can turn things around. So itd be more delusional for you to think poor team, other than any of the other options.

Okay it's offseason, so lets look what we have to look forward to.

Were in 1 of the toughest divisions in the AFC south
Were in the toughest Conference in the AFC.

were going to have AT MOST 13 - 15 million for FA this year which is not much to get some of the top free Agents & sign our draft picks.

We're going to be somewhat unstettled at Quarterback next year if the thing that everyone thinks is going to happen happens.

We've got 3-5 worthy starters on our team total, everyone else is suspect.

& to top it all off, other than Meco & Mario, there is absolutely nothing to suggest that we're about to have a "break out" season next year. Yeah we improved win wise, but to those who watched every game last year, can you honestly say that were ready to compete for a playoff spot?

I love the texans, i'll always support them, but they are not an up & coming team.

DocBar
02-07-2007, 01:25 PM
By the way, I based this analysis on how we would play THIS year and how people would look at us as this season progresses into future years. I was not trying to be a homer as to where we ended the year.

I am using last year and how we "progressed" during the season as my yardstick. It's hard to say what kind of team we'll have in '07. As we've seen for 5 yrs., there's NO TELLING what the draft or free agency will bring.

thunderkyss
02-07-2007, 01:52 PM
We beat the Colts...the sun shines on a dog's a** every now and then.
No way are we more talented than the Cowpukes. I hate to say it, but we aren't. I'm disappointed by every Texans loss. But especially by the ones we have a shot at winning and end up losing. My biggest point is that we simply do NOT have an even mediocre team. A mediocre team would've beaten Buffalo, Giants and split with the Titans. We didn't even belong on the same field with the Eagles, Colts(1st game) or Patriots. The Redskins and Cowboy debacles speak for themselves...Heck, the Browns game wasn't exactly a blowout victory.

And my point is that we are not as bad as our record..... we didn't beat those teams, we should've, but didn't. The reason we didn't, is not because we aren't the better team.

Our WideRecievers, our TE, our Corners, our Safeties, our DL, our LBs stack up pretty well against Dallas. I think. OUr Oline, is closer than you think... our only serious deficit to the 'boys, is behind the OL..... QB, & RB.

thunderkyss
02-07-2007, 01:54 PM
What in the hell is going on here?

Is the poll for ranking in the NFC or the AFC?

If it is the AFC, I want my vote back. The poll said NFC.

My mistake........... Mod's please fix it, It's supposed to say AFC.

DocBar
02-07-2007, 02:07 PM
And my point is that we are not as bad as our record..... we didn't beat those teams, we should've, but didn't. The reason we didn't, is not because we aren't the better team.

Our WideRecievers, our TE, our Corners, our Safeties, our DL, our LBs stack up pretty well against Dallas. I think. OUr Oline, is closer than you think... our only serious deficit to the 'boys, is behind the OL..... QB, & RB.

We sure do see things differently. I like our WR's, TE's, 2 of 3 LB's(Maybe Wong will be back full strength in '07) and 1/2 of our secondary. Our OL MAY be closer than I think, but we need serious upgrades at 2 positions IF Spencer comes back 100% AND developes into a strong LT. RG and C need to be improved. I agree that we aren't as bad as our record. To me, THAT is what makes us a bad team. It's kinda like that talent/statistics arguement. All the talent in the world won't gaurantee wins and winning isn't necessarily an indication of talent. IMO, we will have a top 10 D if we get good value on D with the #8 pick(DE or DT maybe LB) and a player like Michael Griffin in the 2nd. A weak(at best) passrush has been crippling us for 5 yrs. We just don't get to the QB. I think our DL, as it is, can be good IF a couple of players have career yrs. I would like us to add a player like Gaines, Branch, etc.. to really make that a force to be contended with.
And Dallas absolutely shredded our D in the 2nd half. That was as ugly as it gets...well, except for the NE game, but 4 INT's will do that.

TexansTrueFan
02-07-2007, 02:19 PM
Okay it's offseason, so lets look what we have to look forward to.

Were in 1 of the toughest divisions in the AFC south
Were in the toughest Conference in the AFC.

were going to have AT MOST 13 - 15 million for FA this year which is not much to get some of the top free Agents & sign our draft picks.

We're going to be somewhat unstettled at Quarterback next year if the thing that everyone thinks is going to happen happens.

We've got 3-5 worthy starters on our team total, everyone else is suspect.

& to top it all off, other than Meco & Mario, there is absolutely nothing to suggest that we're about to have a "break out" season next year. Yeah we improved win wise, but to those who watched every game last year, can you honestly say that were ready to compete for a playoff spot?

I love the texans, i'll always support them, but they are not an up & coming team.

Chargers did it, Dolphins did it 2 years back. Jets this year did it. I know of alot of teams who have outstanding talent that do nothing with it, its not about individuals, its about a team as a whole. You can have a bunch of mediocra players on D, but if they play well as a unit than it does more for you than 4 stars on D that cant play as a unit. The more the season went on last year the better or team was. When our O wasnt producing is when our D picked it up. I'm not delusional but i see alot of promise in our young team, and YES its going to take a few more pieces to make our team great but i think we are almost to that point even though we only won 6 games last year.

real
02-07-2007, 02:22 PM
Are we going to be an up and coming team ? possibly

Are we an up and coming team right now? no

We were bad this past season. There was nothing up and coming about our season. We had a few bright spots, but overall it was a bad season, so therefore we're a bad team. 6-10 isn't up and coming unless you're up and coming off of a 2-14 season. We have to be the only team in the leauge that to think 6-10 is up and coming.

TexansTrueFan
02-07-2007, 03:03 PM
Are we going to be an up and coming team ? possibly

Are we an up and coming team right now? no

We were bad this past season. There was nothing up and coming about our season. We had a few bright spots, but overall it was a bad season, so therefore we're a bad team. 6-10 isn't up and coming unless you're up and coming off of a 2-14 season. We have to be the only team in the leauge that to think 6-10 is up and coming.

yes from 2-14 to 6-10 that is up and coming, so now maybe since we tripled it last season maybe we can double it this season 12-4. Problably not right, but hey there is always a chance.

thunderkyss
02-07-2007, 03:04 PM
We sure do see things differently. I like our WR's, TE's, 2 of 3 LB's(Maybe Wong will be back full strength in '07) and 1/2 of our secondary. Our OL MAY be closer than I think, but we need serious upgrades at 2 positions IF Spencer comes back 100% AND developes into a strong LT. RG and C need to be improved. I agree that we aren't as bad as our record. To me, THAT is what makes us a bad team. It's kinda like that talent/statistics arguement. All the talent in the world won't gaurantee wins and winning isn't necessarily an indication of talent. IMO, we will have a top 10 D if we get good value on D with the #8 pick(DE or DT maybe LB) and a player like Michael Griffin in the 2nd. A weak(at best) passrush has been crippling us for 5 yrs. We just don't get to the QB. I think our DL, as it is, can be good IF a couple of players have career yrs. I would like us to add a player like Gaines, Branch, etc.. to really make that a force to be contended with.
And Dallas absolutely shredded our D in the 2nd half. That was as ugly as it gets...well, except for the NE game, but 4 INT's will do that.

For the most part, I don't disagree with your assessment of our team...... I think you overestimate the other teams in the league, & I think most folks on this board overestimate the other teams in this league.

Ask the Cowboy fans where they need to improve, and they'll tell you..... LT, RG, LB, DL, CB, Safety not particularly in that order. But they see major weaknesses at those spots. Their Safeties are good against the run, but suck in coverage. their RG is a revolving door. There left Tackle has no lateral movement. Their LBs disappear. Demarcus Ware is the only one who puts pressure on the QB.

Most teams in this league have problem areas... opportunities to upgrade.... holes on their team.

I think too many of our fans expect us to be perfect before we can make a play-off run....

Battle Red Flash
02-07-2007, 03:09 PM
Up & Commer, BABY!
We showed CLEAR improvement last year, and with our young stars, and improving O-line, and D-lines, we should win 8 or 9 next year, so that's up and comming. Clearly, I'm in the majority.
Poor is Raiders.

kcwilson
02-07-2007, 03:24 PM
MEDIOCRE:

me·di·o·cre
Pronunciation[mee-dee-oh-ker] –adjective
1. of only ordinary or moderate quality; neither good nor bad; barely adequate.
2. rather poor or inferior.

Based on the last 13 games, we hung with some tough teams (Giants), but that doesn't make us good since we got housed by others New England... but then can surprise a team like Indy.

We probably the least consistent team in the AFC... and wildly erratic in terms of offense (pass vs. run production) and defense (secondary sucks but we can play with some entusiasm)

The Texans remind me of the adage...
"If you give a monkey a typewriter, eventually it will type a word."

It is too early to tell if we are mediocre for 2007 since nothing has changed for 2006 yet. To say we are up and coming is a bit premature since we haven't solved some basic problems in the last two/three years (QB play, OL, secondary, pass rush).

Mr teX
02-07-2007, 03:24 PM
When we can compete for 4 qtrs. in every game is when we're up & coming, too many games this year we got straight smashed; early or late in the season it didn't matter.

TwinSisters
02-07-2007, 03:30 PM
My mistake........... Mod's please fix it, It's supposed to say AFC.

bah who cares.

In the NFC, Division Leaders ... like the NFC West for sure.

In the AFC, we are going to be cleaning gravel in the tank until some problems are addressed.

TexansTrueFan
02-07-2007, 04:25 PM
When we can compete for 4 qtrs. in every game is when we're up & coming, too many games this year we got straight smashed; early or late in the season it didn't matter.

Only game i really remember us getting SMASHED in the second half of the season was against the patriots. Even though or O wasnt as good in the second half of the year as it was the first, we still competed better because or D improved.

shinerbock_girl
02-07-2007, 04:42 PM
I have to say "up and comming"....This was Kub's first season here, so now i'll give him the benefit of the doubt on what needs to be done to make this team a future Contender....I'll give this team a few years.

Aztequila
02-07-2007, 05:14 PM

Some of our losses this season were not so bad. Had we pulled a few of them out, we could have had a winning record. Not to mention the injuries that plagued us this year. We lost DD, Mathis was basically out for the season, our O-Line troubles. If we get a healthy team, I think we definitely be "up and comers". We were 3-3 in our division. We swept the jags, split with the colts, and lost to the Titans in OT. I think think thats pretty good. If we improve a bit on those close games. I don't see why we can't have a winning season next year. If the Titans were "in it" at 8-8, we may have a shot.

real
02-07-2007, 05:24 PM
Some of our losses this season were not so bad. Had we pulled a few of them out, we could have had a winning record. Not to mention the injuries that plagued us this year. We lost DD, Mathis was basically out for the season, our O-Line troubles. If we get a healthy team, I think we definitely be "up and comers". We were 3-3 in our division. We swept the jags, split with the colts, and lost to the Titans in OT. I think think thats pretty good. If we improve a bit on those close games. I don't see why we can't have a winning season next year. If the Titans were "in it" at 8-8, we may have a shot.

O.k....

Now do you want to go down the line and see how many games every team in the NFL coulda/shoulda won ? and count how many players on every team were injured ?

How many teams do you think came within a couple of plays within winning a game but came up short?

The difference is that the good teams make those plays consistently, and the Texans don't. That's what makes them a poor team. That's why we don't win those games. When they start making those crucial plays and pulling out games we "shoulda" won, then I will re-think it. You can't base a decision about what a team is, from what they almost were.

6-10 is bad.

Mr teX
02-07-2007, 05:33 PM
Only game i really remember us getting SMASHED in the second half of the season was against the patriots. Even though or O wasnt as good in the second half of the year as it was the first, we still competed better because or D improved.

OK, so score wise we were still in many of the games in the 2nd half of the season, is it a concidence that the strength of schedule was dramatically reduced then too? Our D did improve but we also had a fairly light schedule too.

And if you call competing hanging around b/c our D held the opposition to a few field goals before they eventually got tired b/c our Offense couldn't do anything, then i have some ocean front property in the Sahara that i'd like to sell you. That's not competing, otherwise you can call the texans competing in 2005 too since we hung around before losing many of those games too.

There were very few points in last year's season where our TEAM put pressure on the opposition to either score to keep up with us or put them in a position where they had to stop us offensively to win the game. Is it also a concidence that we won those games too?

Were a poor team as of now, Whatever happens in the draft / FA could change our status next year after the 1/2 way point of the season, but as of now, this very minute, we stink.

Navy_Chris
02-07-2007, 05:37 PM
Are we division leaders?? Indy, NE, SanDiego, Baltimore??

Are we Contenders?? Cincinnati, Denver,

Are we Up & Commers?? NYJets, Tennessee, KC Chiefs

Are we Mediocre?? Pittsburgh, Jacksonville, Buffalo

Are we just a poor team?? Miami, Oakland, Houston??

AFC teams on the rise: Denver, Tennessee, NYJ, Buffalo, Houston
AFC teams falling, and falling fast: Jacksonville, Cincinnati, Oakland
AFC mediocre teams: KC, Miami
AFC division leaders in 2007:

AFC South: Tennessee (yes, over Indy!!)
AFC North: Baltimore
AFC West: San Diego
AFC East: New England

thunderkyss
02-07-2007, 06:14 PM

I've given out too much rep today...... so I'll try to catch you tomorrow.

trutexan02
02-07-2007, 07:23 PM
Say what you will about the Texans and how they "rank" but one fact that remains true is this team drastically improved this year and has the potential to be a good team next year. So I vote up and commer.

And if no game shows that this past season except one. It has to be the Colts game. They had every reason to play their hardest against us (unlike every year prior). They put their best team out on that field chrsitmas eve and we handed it to them. We showed that we have the talent to paly with and beat great teams, not just good ones, great ones.
:respect:

real
02-08-2007, 10:02 AM
Do you want to go down the line and see how many games every team in the NFL coulda/shoulda won ? and count how many players on every team were injured ?

How many teams do you think came within a couple of plays within winning a game but came up short?

The difference is that the good teams make those plays consistently, and the Texans don't. That's what makes them a poor team. That's why we don't win those games. When they start making those crucial plays and pulling out games we "shoulda" won, then I will re-think it. You can't base a decision about what a team is, from what they almost were.

6-10 is bad.

I don't understand how you can use what almost was a meausuring stick...A lot of teams "almost" won games....

real
02-08-2007, 10:03 AM
We have to be the only franchise ever that thinks 6-10 is up and coming...

real
02-08-2007, 10:05 AM
We are picking at number eight....

out of thirty-two.....

We have a top ten pick once again.....

When we crack 500. I'll say we're up and coming....Until then we're just a bad team struggling to find some answers....We have so many question marks and so many needs and no real clear cut plan for our future. I don't see how thats up and coming....

TexansTrueFan
02-08-2007, 10:40 AM
OK, so score wise we were still in many of the games in the 2nd half of the season, is it a concidence that the strength of schedule was dramatically reduced then too? Our D did improve but we also had a fairly light schedule too.

And if you call competing hanging around b/c our D held the opposition to a few field goals before they eventually got tired b/c our Offense couldn't do anything, then i have some ocean front property in the Sahara that i'd like to sell you. That's not competing, otherwise you can call the texans competing in 2005 too since we hung around before losing many of those games too.

There were very few points in last year's season where our TEAM put pressure on the opposition to either score to keep up with us or put them in a position where they had to stop us offensively to win the game. Is it also a concidence that we won those games too?

Were a poor team as of now, Whatever happens in the draft / FA could change our status next year after the 1/2 way point of the season, but as of now, this very minute, we stink.

I simply meant we were MORE competetive in the second half of the season than the first half. Not like we were dominating teams or anything. How is it a concidence we won those games ? Luck, well maybe but i'll take luck any day !

Mr teX
02-08-2007, 11:25 AM
I simply meant we were MORE competetive in the second half of the season than the first half. Not like we were dominating teams or anything. How is it a concidence we won those games ? Luck, well maybe but i'll take luck any day !

It's a conicidence b/c we finally started looking like a functional team once the competitive level went down. But other than the 2nd Colts game in the 2nd half of the season, we looked like we didn't belong on the same field as some of the eventual playoff teams. We barely scraped by the Raiders for god's sake! Can you say we looked just as good during the 1st half of the season? Probably not, & i know some of it was due to new scheme & coaching & all that but, not that much.

Don't get me wrong, i see where you're coming from, i just don't agree that we are up & coming........................................ not yet anyway, maybe by the 1/2 way point next year, teams might stop circling us on their schedule as a guaranteed win.

yourfavoritetexan42
02-08-2007, 11:25 AM
I think at best next season we could be like the Jets of this past season, and at worse we could be 7-9, coming off the same season we had a few years back. If you want to go into actual rankings here is how I rank us with other AFC teams.

1. Colts
2. Chargers
3. Ravens
4. Patriots
5. Jets
6. Broncos
7. Chiefs
8. Steelers
9. Bengals
10. Titans
11. Texans
12. Jaguars
13. Dolphins
14. Bills
15. Browns
16. Raiders

Just for fun, say we were in the NFC:

1. Bears
2. Saints
3. Eagles
4. Seahawks
5. Cowboys
6. Giants
7. Texans

A lot of the reason why we have struggled as a franchise, is because we have been in the very strong AFC. I think with an improved defense we can jump the Titans, we are more complete than the titans are. The Jaguars will have a struggling offense for years to come, and the Texans have the formula to beat the Jaguars. Kubiak figured out the way to beat the super bowl champs, and I think we can catch them off guard again next season. Here is my realistic Division prediction next season:

1-1 Titans
1-1 Colts
2-0 Jaguars

4-2 Overall

Right now we are in the middle of the pack, we are one key player from making a playoff run, I think you will see the Texans make their first playoff run this season, and first playoff appearance in 2008. As long as we don't dismantle the team and start over by getting rid of a few players who I don't think have been given a chance (no one respond to this, we are not turning this into a carr thread)

TexansTrueFan
02-08-2007, 11:30 AM
It's a conicidence b/c we finally started looking like a functional team once the competitive level went down. But other than the 2nd Colts game in the 2nd half of the season, we looked like we didn't belong on the same field as some of the eventual playoff teams. We barely scraped by the Raiders for god's sake! Can you say we looked just as good during the 1st half of the season? Probably not, & i know some of it was due to new scheme & coaching & all that but, not that much.

Don't get me wrong, i see where you're coming from, i just don't agree that we are up & coming........................................ not yet anyway, maybe by the 1/2 way point next year, teams might stop circling us on their schedule as a guaranteed win.

Yeah i see what you mean about our easy schedule in the second half, BUt that just means we're not the worst team in the NFL. If we're a bad team and we beat bad teams that means we're a better team than those bad teams. Haha well its really however you wanna look at it.

dbspi
02-08-2007, 11:50 AM
Jags are not a bad ball club, they were let down by their QB play this past season. If they can fix the QB play then they can be right up their with the Colts.

Mr teX
02-08-2007, 11:54 AM
Yeah i see what you mean about our easy schedule in the second half, BUt that just means we're not the worst team in the NFL. If we're a bad team and we beat bad teams that means we're a better team than those bad teams. Haha well its really however you wanna look at it.

Agreed, can't knock the glass-half-full optimism, I just won't get my hopes up until i see more wins & consistency.

real
02-08-2007, 12:07 PM
[/b]
Agreed, can't knock the glass-half-full optimism, I just won't get my hopes up until i see more wins & consistency.

Hey...

I watched a couple Oakland games this year and in a lot of games they were only one or two plays away from a possible win.

I watched Detroit play too, and they were right in a lot of those games. They thrashed the cowboys at the end of the season so thats a good sign.

I also was able to see the Buccaneers, 49ers, Vikings, Cardinals and Browns play....

I saw a lot of good things from those guys as well...They have some good young talent, and they were in a lot of their games, but just missed winning by a few key plays....

Lookie there....I guess there are no bad teams in the NFL...Everyone's up and coming...

It'a official...There is no longer such a thing as a bad team...If you almost do some things well, you're up and coming...

Hey and that Reggie Bush....I often saw plays where, if he had made one more guy miss he'd have broken off a long one. And those Bears...They should have been the champs...I mean...they came within one game....They almost won it so I guess thats just as good....

The Cowboys almost and should have won against the Seahawks...That was a fluke play, and had they have gotten the hold right they would have marched through the play-offs and won the super-bowl....almost...

We were a bad team...The good teams made those plays that we "almost" made...

Bad teams don't make those plays....that's why they're considered bad...

thunderkyss
02-08-2007, 03:31 PM
Jags are not a bad ball club, they were let down by their QB play this past season. If they can fix the QB play then they can be right up their with the Colts.

Same can be said for the Texans.

Navy_Chris
02-08-2007, 03:35 PM
Same can be said for the Texans.

Say what you will, the Indianapolis Colts will NOT be atop the AFC South at the end of the 2007 season.

thunderkyss
02-08-2007, 03:49 PM
Hey...

Lookie there....I guess there are no bad teams in the NFL...Everyone's up and coming...

It'a official...There is no longer such a thing as a bad team...If you almost do some things well, you're up and coming...

& lookie there, some people wait to see results before they grade a team.... that's like not saying Calvin Johnson isn't any better a prospect than Ted Ginn Jr, because neither have done anything in the NFL.

Looking at the Jets last year, there's no way I would've guessed that they could have accomplished what they did this year.

Looking at the Saints(because I am more familiar with them), I knew they were going to be a lot better than they were last year, because I saw the talent on that team perform.

I wasn't worried about them moving Jamal Brown to the left side..... I knew that was their plan for some time, and he played very well on the right. I wasn't worried about them cutting Brooks, and picking up Brees..... other than the obvious questions about his shoulder. But I knew what they had on offense, I knew what they had on defense, I knew they were better than 3-13(or whatever they were in '05).

I know our team was better than 2-14........ yeah, we had some bad players... we had some dead weight...... but we were better than 2-14. We played like a 2-14 team, & I'm not pinning that on one player.... I blame the coaches, but understand that the way they treat one player in particular may have led to the poor play on the field, but that's another story.

I'm not blaming any of our loses on one particular player..... if we had Reggie Bush catching passes out of the backfield...... maybe we would have won 2 extra games in '06. If we had a bonafide sure handed reciever(I don't know who to use as an example, since they all drop passes, from Reggie Wayne, to Terry Glenn, from T.O. to Chad Johnson, to Marvin Harrison) maybe we would have won an extra game..... maybe two. Not that those loses were those players faults.

But if we had another QB..... Sage..... Brees........ Harrington..... we would have won at least 4 more games.. Heck if David didn't go on a fumble fest in September, we could've won 2 of those games...... If he'd have just played his game, and not tried to do so much against Tennessee...... we could've won those games. If his deep ball was as accurate as some poster's think it is, we'd have won 2 games..

If we didn't have to simplify Kubiak's offensive system, we'd have won a lot more games.

real
02-08-2007, 04:07 PM
& lookie there, some people wait to see results before they grade a team.... that's like not saying Calvin Johnson isn't any better a prospect than Ted Ginn Jr, because neither have done anything in the NFL.

Looking at the Jets last year, there's no way I would've guessed that they could have accomplished what they did this year.

Looking at the Saints(because I am more familiar with them), I knew they were going to be a lot better than they were last year, because I saw the talent on that team perform.

I wasn't worried about them moving Jamal Brown to the left side..... I knew that was their plan for some time, and he played very well on the right. I wasn't worried about them cutting Brooks, and picking up Brees..... other than the obvious questions about his shoulder. But I knew what they had on offense, I knew what they had on defense, I knew they were better than 3-13(or whatever they were in '05).

I know our team was better than 2-14........ yeah, we had some bad players... we had some dead weight...... but we were better than 2-14. We played like a 2-14 team, & I'm not pinning that on one player.... I blame the coaches, but understand that the way they treat one player in particular may have led to the poor play on the field, but that's another story.

I'm not blaming any of our loses on one particular player..... if we had Reggie Bush catching passes out of the backfield...... maybe we would have won 2 extra games in '06. If we had a bonafide sure handed reciever(I don't know who to use as an example, since they all drop passes, from Reggie Wayne, to Terry Glenn, from T.O. to Chad Johnson, to Marvin Harrison) maybe we would have won an extra game..... maybe two. Not that those loses were those players faults.

But if we had another QB..... Sage..... Brees........ Harrington..... we would have won at least 4 more games.. Heck if David didn't go on a fumble fest in September, we could've won 2 of those games...... If he'd have just played his game, and not tried to do so much against Tennessee...... we could've won those games. If his deep ball was as accurate as some poster's think it is, we'd have won 2 games..

If we didn't have to simplify Kubiak's offensive system, we'd have won a lot more games.

Honestly TK....your thread blows(J/K)

I'm really not arguing the fact that we were close to winning some of our games....

I think the thread is kind of decieving...

If you're asking what we are right now, we are a poor team....If you look at how we played in each game this season, add that to our record and look at some of our personnel it all equals bad team....6-10 is bad....yes even if you increase your wins by 4....That 2-14 record really must have lowered a lot of peoples standards....I have never heard such a thing as a 6-10 team being called "up and coming"...Teams that I would give that label to would be a team like the Jets or Titans...those guys had poor seasons the previous years, but were on the brink of a play-off birth this year.....Those guys have legit pressure to get into the play-offs next year....What are we up and coming to ? Please give me your defenition of an up and coming team...

Now, if you're asking what kind of season we will have in 2007/2008 then the topic is debatable....But as of right now, we're bad....

real
02-08-2007, 04:19 PM
I know our team was better than 2-14........ yeah, we had some bad players... we had some dead weight...... but we were better than 2-14. We played like a 2-14 team, & I'm not pinning that on one player...

How many wins better were we than 2-14 ? 2 or 3? 6 ?

TK, if you're telling me that we were better than 2-14 in 05, there is no way we're up and coming....That means that we really haven't gotten any better...

But that's besides the point....

How many teams in the NFL do you think are saying the same thing ?.... "If we could have done blank we'd be in the play-offs...If such and such would have not happened we might be in the superbowl"....???

Every team in the NFL is talking about what they almost did, except the Colts...The only team that isn't up and coming IS the Colts....They can't get any better, just worse or equal....

I don't think there is a team in the NFL that doesn't think they are up and coming....Who thinks they're going to be bad again next year ?

I just don't like the, we almost did this and we almost did that line....everybody almost does things....I almost didn't go to work this morning...I guess that makes me a bad employee, even though I got up aned went....

You are what you do...and what we did was have a bad season....

DocBar
02-08-2007, 04:34 PM
Say what you will, the Indianapolis Colts will NOT be atop the AFC South at the end of the 2007 season.

Are they changing divisions?? Nobody else in our division is gonna kick them off the top of the mountain.

shinerbock_girl
02-08-2007, 05:35 PM
Are they changing divisions?? Nobody else in our division is gonna kick them off the top of the mountain.

TEXANS WILL EVOLVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YEAHHHHHH

ib4texans
02-08-2007, 06:20 PM
Hey...

I watched a couple Oakland games this year and in a lot of games they were only one or two plays away from a possible win.

I watched Detroit play too, and they were right in a lot of those games. They thrashed the cowboys at the end of the season so thats a good sign.

I also was able to see the Buccaneers, 49ers, Vikings, Cardinals and Browns play....

I saw a lot of good things from those guys as well...They have some good young talent, and they were in a lot of their games, but just missed winning by a few key plays....

Hey and that Reggie Bush....I often saw plays where, if he had made one more guy miss he'd have broken off a long one. And those Bears...They should have been the champs...I mean...they came within one game....They almost won it so I guess thats just as good....

The Cowboys almost and should have won against the Seahawks...That was a fluke play, and had they have gotten the hold right they would have marched through the play-offs and won the super-bowl....almost...

We were a bad team...The good teams made those plays that we "almost" made...

Bad teams don't make those plays....that's why they're considered bad...

xtruroyaltyx: Why so bitter? Just breath!

DocBar
02-08-2007, 08:30 PM
TEXANS WILL EVOLVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YEAHHHHHH

i hope they get hit with gamma rays or something. Evolution is a slooow process, taking millions of offseasons.
:stirpot: :stirpot:

thunderkyss
02-08-2007, 09:19 PM
How many wins better were we than 2-14 ? 2 or 3? 6 ?

TK, if you're telling me that we were better than 2-14 in 05, there is no way we're up and coming....That means that we really haven't gotten any better...
You are what you do...and what we did was have a bad season....

Well that's fine. You think we've played up to our potential.... I don't.

I don't think the teams that beat us are necessarily better than we are.

The Colts, the Eagles, the Patriots..... yeah, those teams are better.

The Giants, when completely healthy.... they're better, but that team we played, and lost to. No. We should definitely have won that game.

& that's fine... you thinking we aren't good as a team....... at all. I just don't think that way.

We've got some holes, and our depth is sorely lacking..... but I think we're about three starters away from having a complete team. LB, LT, & CB.

I think most teams are there, if not worse. The Colts.. San Diego.... New England..... Chicago.. & a few others. But most teams are missing starters.

& that's the point I'm wanting to make.

All these people with this "we've got too many holes to fix in one off season", for a SuperBowl appearance, maybe, but just for a winning season?? I don't think so. for a play-off appearance?? I don't think so.

I'm sure Mangini didn't walk into his locker room telling his guys.... guys, we were 4-12 in '05, so go ahead and make plans to be with your families in January. Forget about having a winning season in '06, lets just go out there and have some fun.

I doubt Payton went into his locker room saying we are what our record says we are... we've got too many holes to fill in one off season... This year is just an evaluation year, to see who'll be on the team in '07.

I hope Kubiak will do a better job in March selling the team on the fact that we can in fact be winners in '07, than I am doing here on this board, with you.

DocBar
02-08-2007, 10:37 PM

I don't think the teams that beat us are necessarily better than we are.

The Colts, the Eagles, the Patriots..... yeah, those teams are better.

The Giants, when completely healthy.... they're better, but that team we played, and lost to. No. We should definitely have won that game.

& that's fine... you thinking we aren't good as a team....... at all. I just don't think that way.

We've got some holes, and our depth is sorely lacking..... but I think we're about three starters away from having a complete team. LB, LT, & CB.

I think most teams are there, if not worse. The Colts.. San Diego.... New England..... Chicago.. & a few others. But most teams are missing starters.

& that's the point I'm wanting to make.

All these people with this "we've got too many holes to fix in one off season", for a SuperBowl appearance, maybe, but just for a winning season?? I don't think so. for a play-off appearance?? I don't think so.

I'm sure Mangini didn't walk into his locker room telling his guys.... guys, we were 4-12 in '05, so go ahead and make plans to be with your families in January. Forget about having a winning season in '06, lets just go out there and have some fun.

I doubt Payton went into his locker room saying we are what our record says we are... we've got too many holes to fill in one off season... This year is just an evaluation year, to see who'll be on the team in '07.

I hope Kubiak will do a better job in March selling the team on the fact that we can in fact be winners in '07, than I am doing here on this board, with you.

IMHO, the hallmark of an "up and coming team" is beating the teams that are better than you, on paper, when you have the chance. We blew several of those chances. "Being IN the game" doesn't mean much. In '05, we were "IN" more games than '06 and had a much worse record. We have a good nucleus for a good team, but we have to upgrade from all the "tweener" picks CC and DC made. Babin, Peek, Orr, P-BUST,Hodgedon, and even TJ, to a degree.That's not even mentioning FA's we've overspent on. 2 more SOLID drafts and we can compete for the playoffs. Right now, we're bad. 2 good drafts, we're up and comers. I say that with all the holes we have and anticipating injuries. We MIGHT be up and comers next year, but lets see how the offseason plays out before we get too excited. In other words, let's not set ourselves up for disppointment.

thunderkyss
02-08-2007, 10:42 PM
IMHO, the hallmark of an "up and coming team" is beating the teams that are better than you, on paper, when you have the chance. We blew several of those chances. "Being IN the game" doesn't mean much. In '05, we were "IN" more games than '06 and had a much worse record. We have a good nucleus for a good team, but we have to upgrade from all the "tweener" picks CC and DC made. Babin, Peek, Orr, P-BUST,Hodgedon, and even TJ, to a degree.That's not even mentioning FA's we've overspent on. 2 more SOLID drafts and we can compete for the playoffs. Right now, we're bad. 2 good drafts, we're up and comers. I say that with all the holes we have and anticipating injuries. We MIGHT be up and comers next year, but lets see how the offseason plays out before we get too excited. In other words, let's not set ourselves up for disppointment.

But if we beat those teams, we'd have been in contention for a play-off spot......

We'd have been Contenders..... working on becoming Division leaders.

real
02-09-2007, 09:44 AM

TK....

If a team isn't playing up to their potential what does that mean ?

To me it means that they are a bad team....I think we could have won some of those games as well, but we didn't...

We didn't because we were the worse team on those days...We didn't play 48 minutes as hard as they did.....period....

It doesn't matter whether or not we shoulda/woulda did this/that.

We didn't.

I think we can be improved going into 2007, but it's not a given. We don't even know what kind of moves they'll make this off-season. I have faith in the staff that they'll make some good moves, but as of right now all I have to judge them from is this past season, and this past season was a bad one. ..6-10....is 6-10.....is 6-10.....all day long.....
That's the mark of a bad team. There is no way I can say we're up and coming, and we don't even know what our QB situation will be like.

We were terrible last year, and we were bad this year....If we get atleast 8 wins next year, then I would think we were up and coming...But right now We have just gone from THE very worst to just bad....Where we'll go from here is up to the Front office and Coaching staff...

real
02-09-2007, 09:47 AM
But if we beat those teams, we'd have been in contention for a play-off spot......

We'd have been Contenders..... working on becoming Division leaders.

But we didn't beat those teams...

That's why those teams are considered up and coming.....and we're not....

Because they won, and we didn't.